Breaking News

980,802 Views | 11776 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by movielover
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Same group sucking up land around our interstate power grid as well. The fact the U.S. government ignored detailed warnings about the 9/11 attack makes so much sense in the context of a story like this.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
smh
https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/07/21/solar-panel-covered-canals-to-be-studied-in-the-central-valley

Quote:

With devastating heat, record-breaking wildfire, looming crisis on the Colorado River, a growing commitment to fighting climate change, and a little bit of movement-building, their company Solar AquaGrid and partners are preparing to break ground on the first solar-covered canal project in the United States.

"All of these coming together at this moment," Harris said. "Is there a more pressing issue that we could apply our time to?"

The idea is simple: install solar panels over canals in sunny, water-scarce regions where they reduce evaporation and make electricity.

A study by the University of California, Merced gives a boost to the idea, estimating that 63 billion gallons of water could be saved by covering California's 4,000 miles of canals. Researchers believe that much installed solar would also generate a significant amount of electricity.
movielover
The math on the solar panels should be straightforward.

Have they ever tried shutting off a major canal for a short period of time to caulk cracks (leakage)?
dimitrig
movielover said:

Mystery group buys $800 M worth of land around Travis Air Force Base, suing 8 other families for land acquisition.

Some land being bought at 8-10 times its value.

China? Gates Foundation?

"We're very, very concerned about this," said Rep. John Garamendi (D-CA08). "It's so extensive and so secret and it's impossible to get any information about what's happening here...."

"...Garamendi says the attorney representing Flannery Associates indicated the firm is made up of a group of families, 97 percent of whom are allegedly American, looking to diversify their portfolio from equities to real assets - including agricultural land."

https://abc7news.com/travis-afb-air-force-base-flannery-associates-llc-john-garamendi/13527836/

I think this is a scam to launder money or serve as some sort of tax shelter.

BearHunter
movielover said:

Trump / Vivek Ramaswamy?
Looks like Vivek is now tied with DeSantis for 2nd place.
82gradDLSdad
BearHunter said:

movielover said:

Trump / Vivek Ramaswamy?
Looks like Vivek is now tied with DeSantis for 2nd place.

Go Vivek. I expect the dirt barrage will start soon now that he's climbing. He seems pretty wholesome right now.
movielover
Cal88
smh said:

https://www.mercurynews.com/2023/07/21/solar-panel-covered-canals-to-be-studied-in-the-central-valley

Quote:

With devastating heat, record-breaking wildfire, looming crisis on the Colorado River, a growing commitment to fighting climate change, and a little bit of movement-building, their company Solar AquaGrid and partners are preparing to break ground on the first solar-covered canal project in the United States.

"All of these coming together at this moment," Harris said. "Is there a more pressing issue that we could apply our time to?"

The idea is simple: install solar panels over canals in sunny, water-scarce regions where they reduce evaporation and make electricity.

A study by the University of California, Merced gives a boost to the idea, estimating that 63 billion gallons of water could be saved by covering California's 4,000 miles of canals. Researchers believe that much installed solar would also generate a significant amount of electricity.

Doesn't sound like a smart move to me, given the risks of water contamination. Maybe a different type of covering would be a better idea here.

Quote:

What Are The Risks Of Solar Panels Polluting Drinking Water?

There's a lot of excitement around the potential of solar panels, but there's also a lot of concern about their potential impacts on our environment. One area of concern is solar panels' ability to contaminate drinking water. So far, research has shown that solar panels may be contaminating water in several ways.

First, solar panels may be leaching chemicals into the water supply. This could happen when the panels are installed or when they're in use it's unknown at this time which is more dangerous. Chemicals from the solar panel could then be harming marine life and humans, so we need to be careful about how these panels are used until we know more about the risks involved.

Another way that solar panels may contaminate drinking water is by introducing new bacteria into the water supply. This happens when rain or snowmelt runoff carries chemicals from the solar panel into groundwater or municipal supplies. Again, more research is needed to understand the risks involved before we can make any decisions about using solar panels safely.

In addition, it's not just humans who might be harmed by contaminated water aquatic wildlife may also be at risk if they drink from polluted waterways. Studies have shown that certain chemicals present in photovoltaic cells can kill fish and other aquatic organisms if they're ingested in high enough concentrations. Until we know more about these risks, it's important for us to stay cautious about using solar panels until we know for sure that they're safe for us and our environment.

https://haleakalasolar.com/do-solar-panels-contaminate-drinking-water/#:~:text=So%20far%2C%20research%20has%20shown,time%20which%20is%20more%20dangerous.

PS: thorium.
bearister

Richmond-San Rafael Bridge reopens after standoff ends, person rescued

https://www.ktvu.com/news/richmond-san-rafael-bridges-eastbound-lanes-remain-shutdown-late-friday-evening

82gradDLSdad
bearister said:

Richmond-San Rafael Bridge reopens after standoff ends, person rescued

https://www.ktvu.com/news/richmond-san-rafael-bridges-eastbound-lanes-remain-shutdown-late-friday-evening

My wife and I were driving home from our usual walk in SF Friday night. Hyde was closed by the police for some major incident so we knew there would be some backups. It took us two hours! to get onto the Bay Bridge from there from what I later learned was the Richmond bridge closing. It was absolutely an amazing amount of crazy, law breaking traffic. Not to mention homeless crazies wondering through the traffic waving sticks in front of and behind cars. I honestly thought our car was going to get bashed. I thought Armageddon had finally descended on SF.
bearister
Go Brian Harmon!

Perks of winning the Open Championship
$3 million

100 OWGR points

Five-year PGA TOUR exemption

Five-year exemption to Masters, PGA Championship, U.S. Open

Exemption to Open Championship for 10 years or until the age of 60
600 FedExCup points

Claret Jug ownership for one year, then a replica
bearister
Car jackers. Not a scratch. All fled scene.

SFCityBear
bearister said:

Car jackers. Not a scratch. All fled scene.

We may not be very tough in this city, but our streets are a load. You don't mess with our "Mean Streets".
SFCityBear
bearister
Even Frank Bullitt doesn't walk away from that one.

SFCityBear
bearister said:

Even Frank Bullitt doesn't walk away from that one.

Bullitt never had to worry about those crashes. He usually caused the bad guys to have them.
SFCityBear
bearister
Update

https://abc7news.com/dramatic-car-crash-off-sf-steps-tied-to-carjacking-officials/13543066/
bearister
Bronny James cardiac arrest. Stable

https://abc7news.com/sports/lebron-james-son-bronny-suffers-cardiac-arrest-during-workout/13545800/
sycasey
bearister said:

https://abc7news.com/sports/lebron-james-son-bronny-suffers-cardiac-arrest-during-workout/13545800/

When was his last vaccine shot?!
oski003
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Legitimate question although it is likely unrelated.
movielover
Best wishes to the young man. *Clot Shot*
bearister
A year ago a similar event at U$C:

USC's Vince Iwuchukwu Reveals He Suffered Cardiac Arrest This Summer | Sports Illustrated

https://www.si.com/college/2022/09/29/usc-vince-iwuchukwu-reveals-cardiac-arrest-this-summer-workouts
Cal88
Canadair water bomber crash in Greece captured, looks like a pilot error.

oski003
Apparently, Sleepy Joe can't raise a dog right either.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/07/25/politics/commander-biden-bites-secret-service/index.html

10 dog bite incidents! That's nuts. Maybe it was the dog's cocaine...
Cal88
And a German shepherd at that, these dogs are disciplined, you really have to raise them wrong for that kind of wrong behavior...
Chapman_is_Gone

If a person can't even raise a dog properly, one has to ask if he's the right person to lead the world's most important country?

I know my golden retriever heels on command, and wouldn't ever think of biting anyone.

What else is Biden hiding?
Unit2Sucks
Chapman_is_Gone said:

If a person can't even raise a dog properly, one has to ask if he's the right person to lead the world's most important country?

I know my golden retriever heels on command, and wouldn't ever think of biting anyone.

What else is Biden hiding?
He has a pretty packed schedule. Between organizing his wonderful son's burgeoning art career, mastermining an international crime syndicate and *checks notes* being knee deep in dementia, all according to GOP propaganda, it's a wonder Biden has time to fall down the stairs let alone raise a dog properly.

Have you thought about running for President on the "I can raise a dog better than Biden" platform? It couldn't possibly be less successful than the current GOP "platform" such as it is.
82gradDLSdad
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Legitimate question although it is likely unrelated.

I quickly convinced myself that my seizures, multi-year memory loss, changes in sleep, allergies, etc. that have all happened in the last year will be forever mysteries. 2020 until now have included two major surgeries with heavy anesthesia, radiation and COVID vaccines. What are you going to do. It also could be long term sitting in front of a computer screen and now a cell phone. Life is tough and then you die. Thanks for simplifying, mom.
bearister
movielover
I bet Hunter had even soiled The Big Guys' classic corvette.

bearister
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

bearister said:

I know you joke, but black male basketball players never experienced cardiac arrest before COVID and the vax. People talk a lot about how COVID causes more myocarditis than the vaccines but this has been exhaustively studied and it's entirely responsible for anti-vaxxers to spread their filth, er science, any time anyone dies for any reason.

Here's a study discussing cardiac arrest deaths in the age of the COVID vax:
Quote:

It also has been increasingly recognized that some populations of athletes may be at substantially higher risk than others for SCD. Among National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) athletes, increased risk has been found with male gender, black race, and basketball participation (Table 1).14 The risk among male Division 1 basketball players has been estimated at more than 10 times that in the overall athlete population (1 in 5,200 vs. 1 in 53,703 athletes per year), which is consistent with prior findings in collegiate and high-school athletes.[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4969030/#i1947-6094-12-2-76-b14][/url]
I should note that this is an impeccable study and that although it predates COVID by several years (it's from 2016), trust me that the vaccine is always to blame.

82gradDLSdad said:

I quickly convinced myself that my seizures, multi-year memory loss, changes in sleep, allergies, etc. that have all happened in the last year will be forever mysteries. 2020 until now have included two major surgeries with heavy anesthesia, radiation and COVID vaccines. What are you going to do. It also could be long term sitting in front of a computer screen and now a cell phone. Life is tough and then you die. Thanks for simplifying, mom.
My tasteless jokes above notwithstanding, I hope that your current problems aren't "forever mysteries" and that they do resolve sooner rather than later. I obviously have no idea what could have caused or contributed to your issues, but there is a lot of research going into chronic conditions right now in part because of how much havoc COVID wreaked on our society. Perhaps some of that research will help you.

Since this anecdote is Cal related, I will share this here. When I was at the Lair earlier this summer, one of the campers (a doctor of some sort) spoke up during the talent show to discuss a long-COVID treatment that she had helped create (see here). I have no reason to believe this works but I know a lot of people have touted the benefits of accupuncture/accupressure for chronic conditions and wonder whether you've started to consider those things. I've had some of my own healthcare professionals (sports medicine related) suggest that I should consider these eastern alternatives if my western treatments were unsuccessful.
dimitrig
movielover said:

I bet Hunter had even soiled The Big Guys' classic corvette.

We don't know, because Phil aka Catturd rarely cites the sources for his ponderings.

Is it me or is the number of bald Republican pedophiles exploding?

82gradDLSdad
Unit2Sucks said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I know you joke, but black male basketball players never experienced cardiac arrest before COVID and the vax. People talk a lot about how COVID causes more myocarditis than the vaccines but this has been exhaustively studied and it's entirely responsible for anti-vaxxers to spread their filth, er science, any time anyone dies for any reason.

Here's a study discussing cardiac arrest deaths in the age of the COVID vax:
Quote:

It also has been increasingly recognized that some populations of athletes may be at substantially higher risk than others for SCD. Among National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) athletes, increased risk has been found with male gender, black race, and basketball participation (Table 1).14 The risk among male Division 1 basketball players has been estimated at more than 10 times that in the overall athlete population (1 in 5,200 vs. 1 in 53,703 athletes per year), which is consistent with prior findings in collegiate and high-school athletes.[url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4969030/#i1947-6094-12-2-76-b14][/url]
I should note that this is an impeccable study and that although it predates COVID by several years (it's from 2016), trust me that the vaccine is always to blame.

82gradDLSdad said:

My tasteless jokes above notwithstanding, I hope that your current problems aren't "forever mysteries" and that they do resolve sooner rather than later. I obviously have no idea what could have caused or contributed to your issues, but there is a lot of research going into chronic conditions right now in part because of how much havoc COVID wreaked on our society. Perhaps some of that research will help you.

Since this anecdote is Cal related, I will share this here. When I was at the Lair earlier this summer, one of the campers (a doctor of some sort) spoke up during the talent show to discuss a long-COVID treatment that she had helped create (see here). I have no reason to believe this works but I know a lot of people have touted the benefits of accupuncture/accupressure for chronic conditions and wonder whether you've started to consider those things. I've had some of my own healthcare professionals (sports medicine related) suggest that I should consider these eastern alternatives if my western treatments were unsuccessful.

I didn't consider your post to be a tasteless joke. I probably worded my response poorly. I appreciate your response. My seizures are controlled. I really only had one major "all of a sudden black out" seizure. The others and the multi year build up were minor. And my medications have seemed to work. I feel great. It's just that one major one put me on "double top secret" probation probably for the rest of my life...at least in my wife's eyes, and she's the one who matters most. Maybe they'll discover the actual cause someday but I'm not counting on it. I think we are too complicated and there are too many confounding variables. And that's ok. I really do appreciate my dear old mom's practical advice: life is hard and then you die. She was religious, she was raised by two alcoholics and she was married her to her stubborn Italian husband her entire life. She was practical. I am too.
okaydo
Warren G. Harding: 100 years ago one week before his death in San Francisco.

okaydo
I can't get over this column by The New York Times columnist Nicholas Kristof, who if you'll recall quit The Times last to run for Oregon governor.

He finds a way to make it appear he had this really impoverished upbringing.

Yet his father had a Ph D. from University of Chicago and taught at Portland State University after stints at a number of universities, including Stanford. (The article doesn't mention this.)

At the University of Chicago, his father met his mother, who also was a Portland State professor with degrees from University of Chicago a doctorate from Colombia and more.

He does disclose that this 3 kids all happen to be Harvard grads. (His wife has degrees from Cornell, Harvard and Princeton).

First Page Last Page
Page 215 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.