Breaking News

979,696 Views | 11772 Replies | Last: 12 min ago by movielover
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
BearHunter
Big C said:

Dianne Feintein has passed away (see obituaries thread).

RIP. San Francisco/California icon.

It will be interesting to see what Newsom does. I believe he had said that, if she resigned, he would appoint a Black woman. Well, Barbara Lee is one of the declared candidates for 2024, so...

When I retire, I hope my company also replaces me with a black woman. Screw all those Latinx men.
Unit2Sucks
tequila4kapp said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I'm not sure if this is really news - but Liberty University which holds itself out as an evangelical school - has a lot of sinners in leadership.

We do realize that Christian's are not perfect, right? All humans are sinners...Christians seek to resist temptation and ask for forgiveness when they fail. (Some Christians stupidly forget this and get on their high horse)
I would be happy to extend this charity to evangelical leaders when they extend the same to people who are different from them. I haven't seen a lot of these leaders come to the defense of the LGBTQ community when other christian leaders label them as groomers, etc.

I assumed they lived by the golden rule and want to be treated the way they treat others.

And for what it's worth, the behavior is galling. Liberty U expels students for premarital sex but protects leaders who commit sexual harassment. The hypocrisy against their own behavior doesn't really matter to me because I would never subject myself to this private christo-fascist regime, but I can certainly call it the behavior given how they treat people who haven't chosen to adopt the rules they sometimes choose to live by (on their own terms).
BearHunter
concordtom said:

Big C said:

It will be interesting to see what Newsom does. I believe he had said that, if she resigned, he would appoint a Black woman. Well, Barbara Lee is one of the declared candidates for 2024, so...

Merited here, and I heard it right here first.
Wow. Maybe McConnell will go next.

It's amazing to me that these people can't let go their grasp until the reaper does it for them. I'm sensing a theme.

Both Feinstein and McConnell wanted to stick around to see Biden's agenda through.
AunBear89
Cal88 said:

^You have to be a complete tool to frame every issue in tribal political terms. For once calpoly makes a useful comment putting his expertise to good use, and you just had to inject your politics into that...

Hit a little too close to the mark for your comfort? I am sorry you feel that way, snowflake. I am sure we can find you a safe space some where. Maybe 93 will share his with you.

If you don't want to be called out for acting as a cult (tribe is too noble a word for you lot) then quit acting as a cult.
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
blungld
Unit2Sucks said:

Apparently Jim Jordan claimed that Hunter said he was unqualified to be on the Burisma board. This has been a topic of discussion on OT recently (between myself and calbear93).
Shouldn't Jordan recuse himself on this since he is unqualified to hold public office?
dajo9
I have a prediction. I haven't felt this confident about a prediction since I predicted Republicans would say they wanted to leave Afghanistan too, but not the way Biden did it.

My prediction is that Republicans will have an objection to how Newsom handles the Senate appointment on cultural identity grounds.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
sycasey
dajo9 said:

I have a prediction. I haven't felt this confident about a prediction since I predicted Republicans would say they wanted to leave Afghanistan too, but not the way Biden did it.

My prediction is that Republicans will have an objection to how Newsom handles the Senate appointment on cultural identity grounds.

One thing I will say is that I don't think Newsom should have PROMISED to make an appointment on racial or gender grounds. He can still pick a black woman if he wants to, but saying it ahead of time just boxes him in to limited choices.
blungld
tequila4kapp said:

...All humans are sinners...
I don't mean this snarky, but I am sorry that you live in a construction where you believe that is true. What a horrible way to see life.

No, we are not all sinners. And a statement like that is the ultimate whitewashing hand waving whataboutism. In practice, this type of belief amounts to: we can't hold people to account when they are a part of our tribe or if it challenges our belief system, because heck we are all sinners and God loves us and forgives us...but those people not in our tribe God punishes them with eternal damnation and there is no forgiveness for them because THEIR acts are a rejection of God. It's the most childish and self-serving ethical system, and allows for men like Trump (for example) to be held up and admired and given a pass for their acts that actually destroy lives, while good men can be persecuted and attacked for acts that have ZERO effect on anybody else. That is not divine morality. That is man's own ego/identity projection onto the universe.
BearHunter
blungld said:

tequila4kapp said:

I don't mean this snarky, but I am sorry that you live in a construction where you believe that is true. What a horrible way to see life.

No, we are not all sinners. And a statement like that is the ultimate whitewashing hand waving whataboutism. In practice, this type of belief amounts to: we can't hold people to account when they are a part of our tribe or if it challenges our belief system, because heck we are all sinners and God loves us and forgives us...but those people not in our tribe God punishes them with eternal damnation and there is no forgiveness for them because THEIR acts are a rejection of God. It's the most childish and self-serving ethical system, and allows for men like Trump (for example) to be held up and admired and given a pass for their acts that actually destroy lives, while good men can be persecuted and attacked for acts that have ZERO effect on anybody else. That is not divine morality. That is man's own ego/identity projection onto the universe.

We are not all sinners?
Who isn't?
What is sin?
Who gets to determine what sin is?
If there's no God, what's the basis for right and wrong?
Are there any objective moral truths?

MinotStateBeav
Btw since I know you all hate Matt Gaetz, here's him putting up a bill for a vote on term limits for house members.
Love at the end how D- Ivey tries to fight against it like the moron he is.

Who here is actually against term limits for house members? Cause I think most of us would be for it.
blungld
BearHunter said:

blungld said:

tequila4kapp said:

We are not all sinners?
Who isn't?
What is sin?
Who gets to determine what sin is?
If there's no God, what's the basis for right and wrong?
Are there any objective moral truths?

Moral truths are what each society and culture decides it is whether they then assign it to a make believe God or not. God is just a way humans try and make subjective morality appear to be objective.
movielover
God does answer the question - where the primordial soup came from, from which we sprang?

And why do so many people, at the precipice of pleasure, exclaim, "Oh, God... oh God... OH GOD!"

Not Buddha, Marx, or Freud.
BearHunter
blungld said:

Moral truths are what each society and culture decides it is whether they then assign it to a make believe God or not. God is just a way humans try and make subjective morality appear to be objective.

Men make laws but that's a different thing from moral truths. As a society we can't even agree if it's wrong that men should be allowed to play in women's sports.
tequila4kapp
blungld said:

tequila4kapp said:

I appreciate you starting by saying you don't mean to be snarky. I think the simplest response I can give is that you are making a wide swath of inferences and assumptions which are incorrect or not related to what I meant or are disjointed from the version of Christianity that I know.
BearHunter
dajo9 said:

okaydo
BearHunter
Big C said:

Not so fast....
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Go away with your facts and information. Movielover and the clown car of MAGA morons here rely on opinion and conjecture, and Wild ass guessing.

-1000. Useless troll comment.
oski003
AunBear89 said:

Cal88 said:

^You have to be a complete tool to frame every issue in tribal political terms. For once calpoly makes a useful comment putting his expertise to good use, and you just had to inject your politics into that...

Hit a little too close to the mark for your comfort? I am sorry you feel that way, snowflake. I am sure we can find you a safe space some where. Maybe 93 will share his with you.

If you don't want to be called out for acting as a cult (tribe is too noble a word for you lot) then quit acting as a cult.

-1000. Useless troll comment x2.
dajo9
MinotStateBeav said:

Btw since I know you all hate Matt Gaetz, here's him putting up a bill for a vote on term limits for house members.
Love at the end how D- Ivey tries to fight against it like the moron he is.

Who here is actually against term limits for house members? Cause I think most of us would be for it.

I'm against term limits for House members. They are up for reelection every 2 years. Vote them out. Passing legislation takes expertise and experience. You are less likely to get good legislation with short timers. Gaetz doesn't care about any of that because his goal is not legislation - it is performance.

Now I am very much in favor of rules against gerrymandering. Who here is in favor of gerrymandering? Voters should choose their representatives and not the other way around.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
AunBear89
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
movielover
BearHunter said:

Big C said:

When I retire, I hope my company also replaces me with a black woman. Screw all those Latinx men.

You mean a black transgendered woman?
movielover
RFK Jr. running as an independent will tilt the election to Gavin Newsom.

Intell op?
Cal88
movielover
Another Liberal disaster. How many rapes, sexual assaults, and sexcapades will this lead to?

San Jose Mercury: Gender-neutral school bathrooms: Gov. Gavin Newsom approved a measure that would require campuses to have the bathrooms by July 2026.
tequila4kapp
There was an event in the city next to me that's making national news. Kid (attacker) pretty viciously attacked/beat another kid at school in the halls while walking to class. Middle school. Attacker is transgender (biological male identifying as female). Victim is biological female. The whole thing was videotaped, indicating it was premeditated. Attacker reportedly has beat / attacked other girls previously. The school district's language was interesting, depending on one's point of view, because they took time to reassert their policy of being inclusive and Brie beating people for sharing the video via social media. Attacker was referred criminally and suspended 2 days. (Point of reference: a kid last year was videotaped by a boyfriend in a private convo outside of school. Boyfriend released the tape when they broke up. Girlfriend said stupid racist stuff. She was suspended for a week). Language in the messaging plus seemingly light punishment creates the impression the school district is going light on attacker because of transgender status. Substantial anger / stupidity has ensued. Death threats to the attacker. Bomb threats to the homes of administrators. The school was closed yesterday and again Monday.
blungld
tequila4kapp said:

There was an event in the city next to me that's making national news. Kid (attacker) pretty viciously attacked/beat another kid at school in the halls while walking to class. Middle school. Attacker is transgender (biological male identifying as female). Victim is biological female. The whole thing was videotaped, indicating it was premeditated. Attacker reportedly has beat / attacked other girls previously. The school district's language was interesting, depending on one's point of view, because they took time to reassert their policy of being inclusive and Brie beating people for sharing the video via social media. Attacker was referred criminally and suspended 2 days. (Point of reference: a kid last year was videotaped by a boyfriend in a private convo outside of school. Boyfriend released the tape when they broke up. Girlfriend said stupid racist stuff. She was suspended for a week). Language in the messaging plus seemingly light punishment creates the impression the school district is going light on attacker because of transgender status. Substantial anger / stupidity has ensued. Death threats to the attacker. Bomb threats to the homes of administrators. The school was closed yesterday and again Monday.
Damn. It sounds like transgender people must all be psychos. As are anyone who tries to protect their rights of bodily autonomy and non-discrimination. I'm going to vote for Trump because you found this super uncommon sequence of events!
dimitrig
tequila4kapp said:

And?
tequila4kapp
I didn't "find" anything. My kids are in the school district, I've been getting notices.

And your response is BS. I didn't say anything about ALL transgendered people. I stated what happened here. Factual. Jeez, troll much?
tequila4kapp
dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

And?

And nothing. This is a news thread. As the district itself said, this has become a national news story.
Unit2Sucks
Every time a transgender person jaywalks conservatives make it national news.

Anyone want to guess how many boys and girls beat up girls in school every year in this country?

About 5% of female high school students report having been in a fight on school property each year (it's generally been decreasing over the last decade).

So we are talking about several hundred thousand fights per year involving girls. Unless there is data showing that boys are more likely to attack girls after the boys transition, I'm not sure what the story is.

It's just dog bites man so I think it's fair game for people to call out the reason this is being reported.
BearHunter

BREAKING: Dem NY Rep Jamaal Bowman pulled fire alarm in Cannon Building, forcing evacuation as Dems tried to buy more time to read new CR. USCP criminal investigation unit is questioning Bowman
tequila4kapp
By this logic we should ignore all instances of white on black hate crime because African Americans are regularly crime victims at the hands of the African Americans.

And not for nothing, all the people who are triggered by this might want to reread the last couple of sentences - I also shared the ridiculous threats of violence being made.
sycasey
tequila4kapp said:

By this logic we should ignore all instances of white on black hate crime because African Americans are regularly crime victims at the hands of the African Americans.

And not for nothing, all the people who are triggered by this might want to reread the last couple of sentences - I also shared the ridiculous threats of violence being made.

Well, you said the story you cited had become national news. There is a reason for that. It's because conservatives want to amplify and politicize any example of trans people behaving badly. Does that mean it should be "ignored?" No. The school and local law enforcement should not ignore it. To make it a national story? Unless there is some measurable trend to the incident I fail to see why it should be national news.

And yes, there are stories you can point to that left-wing outlets make too big a deal out of. This isn't done only on one side. But when it's about trans people, usually it's the right wing hyping it up.
First Page Last Page
Page 233 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.