Breaking News

979,635 Views | 11771 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by movielover
movielover
How long do you want to ignore this user?
movielover
dimitrig
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

It was a silly mistake to nominate someone that doesn't live in the state. But otherwise, he's doing it fast, he's keeping his promises and he's doing it in a way that doesn't influence the general election for Feinstein's replacement. I think those are good things.
I think it was stupid.

We already have some good candidates who announced their interest in Katie Porter and Adam Schiff but Newsom comes up with this lady? Is she going to get primaried?
What I read implied that she won't run, that she's a temporary solution only. Newsom was quoted as saying he didn't want to do anything to tip the scales in the primary, that several D's had been working their tails off for the seat and it would be wrong to give any of them an advantage/disadvantage.

So this is pretty much the definition of pandering then. Give the seat to an undeserving person who won't run for it but he can check off a box somewhere to satisfy some constituents.
blungld
BearHunter said:

blungld said:

BearHunter said:

I suppose she checks all the qualification boxes. It's the same quals I would want for my heart surgeons and pilots.
I see. But you have no issue with Trump inner circle qualification boxes? Willing to lie, hate immigrants, kiss the ring, unquestionably loyal and willing to fall on sword, fake patriot, fake Christian, primal materialist, sycophant, and amoral tribalist who puts cult over country and others the rest of America.

I'm sorry whatever it is that you're going through is happening to you.
Bless your soul.
sycasey
tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

It was a silly mistake to nominate someone that doesn't live in the state. But otherwise, he's doing it fast, he's keeping his promises and he's doing it in a way that doesn't influence the general election for Feinstein's replacement. I think those are good things.
I think it was stupid.

We already have some good candidates who announced their interest in Katie Porter and Adam Schiff but Newsom comes up with this lady? Is she going to get primaried?
What I read implied that she won't run, that she's a temporary solution only. Newsom was quoted as saying he didn't want to do anything to tip the scales in the primary, that several D's had been working their tails off for the seat and it would be wrong to give any of them an advantage/disadvantage.
That seems to be the idea. She's basically being chosen for the seat on the premise that she won't win the next election.
BearHunter

Can't we just move on?
movielover
TRAGIC NEWS.

San Jose Mercury: "San Jose: Two children die, one injured after falling into swimming pool at residential daycare"
dimitrig
sycasey said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think it was stupid.

That seems to be the idea. She's basically being chosen for the seat on the premise that she won't win the next election.

Why would you appoint someone the public doesn't want as their representative?
sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think it was stupid.

Because that's how appointments work? They happen when someone needs to fill a seat and there hasn't been a chance for a new election yet?

I don't understand the question.
smh
to sum it all up, off topic wise, here's a mind-bending 3 year old tubey with maany million views..

dimitrig
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think it was stupid.

Because that's how appointments work? They happen when someone needs to fill a seat and there hasn't been a chance for a new election yet?

You appoint someone knowing there is no chance they will win an election? Why not appoint someone who might be able to actually win the election?

Padilla is a do nothing but he was appointed and then won his election.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think it was stupid.

You appoint someone knowing there is no chance they will win an election? Why not appoint someone who might be able to actually win the election?

I think Newsom wants to be pretty clear about not putting his "thumb on the scale" re: the upcoming Senate race that everyone has been anticipating. Hence choosing someone from outside of the top candidates.

You can disagree with the strategy, but it's not some big mystery.
dimitrig
sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think it was stupid.

I think Newsom wants to be pretty clear about not putting his "thumb on the scale" re: the upcoming Senate race that everyone has been anticipating. Hence choosing someone from outside of the top candidates.

He did it with Padilla.

I think it's pandering and it's stupid.

dajo9
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think it was stupid.

He did it with Padilla.

Pandering to who? The California voters? There is a primary campaign right now which was not the case with Padilla. Newsom decided to stay out of the primary so he appointed somebody who won't even TRY to run for reelection. I think it's a good move. Shows lots of respect for the voters.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
tequila4kapp
Newsom is now saying Butler is free to run and that she would be an ideal candidate.

With that, I retract my prior comments. This is stupid.
dajo9
If Newsom had made her promise not to run you would have criticized him and since he asked for no commitments not to run you are criticizing him. Nobody doubted you would eventually find reason to criticize him.
dimitrig
dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

tequila4kapp said:

dimitrig said:

tequila4kapp said:

I think it was stupid.

He did it with Padilla.

Pandering to who? The California voters? There is a primary campaign right now which was not the case with Padilla. Newsom decided to stay out of the primary so he appointed somebody who won't even TRY to run for reelection. I think it's a good move. Shows lots of respect for the voters.

Pandering to black voters and maybe also LGBTQ voters. He is also trying to burnish his own credibility with them.

We have three qualified candidates running in the primary and he comes up with this candidate? I get not wanting to influence the election but having an incumbent is going to do that regardless. He should have stuck his neck out and made a hard choice.

I think he didn't want to nominate Barbara Lee (who is trailing) but he also didn't want to be accused of nominating a white man. That left him with Katie Porter who would be a fine choice. However, that could be viewed as hurting the campaign of the powerful and popular Schiff so he wussed out and found an outsider that he thought would score him points.
dajo9
Pandering = doing things I disagree with
sycasey
The whole thing boils down to "Who cares?" in my book. Newsom appointed a temporary caretaker for the seat that maybe pleases some interest groups in his party. Then voters will get to choose the more permanent choice. It's fine.
dajo9
sycasey said:

The whole thing boils down to "Who cares?" in my book. Newsom appointed a temporary caretaker for the seat that maybe pleases some interest groups in his party. Then voters will get to choose the more permanent choice. It's fine.

Exactly
dimitrig
dajo9 said:

Pandering = choosing a woman that lives in Maryland who wasn't even interested in running for Senator because she is a black lesbian

dimitrig
sycasey said:

That caretaker will be voting in the Senate for a year. We don't need a caretaker. That was Diane Feinstein. We need a Senator.
dajo9
dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

Pandering = choosing a woman that lives in Maryland who wasn't even interested in running for Senator because she is a black lesbian

The Senator is totally qualified for the job.
dimitrig
dajo9 said:

dimitrig said:

dajo9 said:

The Senator is totally qualified for the job.

There aren't any qualifications for the job which is why we saw Coach Tuberville and Herschel Walker running so that's not really the point.

The point is that it wasn't a job that she actually wanted but there were at least three more qualified people who DO want it.

If you had a job opening and three very qualified people applied for it would you then give it to someone that couldn't even be bothered to apply?

Unit2Sucks
No one has mentioned this, but aren't all 3 candidates currently house members? The GOP minority is extremely slim and appointing one of them would have left a vacant house seat for the remainder of the term.

I don't think Butler is nearly as unqualified as people are making her out to be. She led a large labor union (almost 400k members, California's largest) for more than a decade and was a public policy director for Airbnb. She's apparently a prolific fundraiser and has been running an influential PAC the last few years. I'm guessing that Newsom thought that she would be a more valuable ally to him than any of the other candidates and I don't think he's wrong. It's also a sign of respect for Kamala Harris and maybe was an olive branch to her.

She has strong roots in California, so the fact that she most recently was living out of state isn't really a big deal.

I am not surprised at the number of disingenuous conservatives attacking her for being black and queer. They vote and support far less qualified people. I suppose just because they are white men. When white men are elected or appointed with no qualifications, the deplorable are silent and never say "he was just elected because he isn't black, queer or female." Gavin had plenty of qualified black women to choose from and it wasn't hard for him to find one better suited to be our senator than any number of dreadful white men currently serving in the senate.

What qualified RFK Jr. to be president? Or Trump? Or Andrew Yang?
What qualified Kelly Loeffler to be a senator when she was appointed? Or as pointed out before, Tuberville or Herschel?

Qualifications never matter to conservative darlings.

Not everyone will be as well qualified as Feinstein or Kamala Harris. Schiff and Barbara Lee are both well qualified, but I would consider Butler to be better qualified to be California's senator than Katie Porter. Porter has very little history of public service (just her second term as a rep) and as far as I can tell she doesn't have much history or connection to California.

dajo9
Can't say I've read every post diligently but has anyone raised any issue in regards to her not being qualified other than her being black and/or a woman and/or a lesbian?
bearister
Fresh in from The Oops! Department:

55 Chinese sailors feared dead after submarine 'caught in trap'

https://mol.im/a/12589429

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

Can't say I've read every post diligently but has anyone raised any issue in regards to her not being qualified other than her being black and/or a woman and/or a lesbian?
Their general disingenuous and pathetic claim is that she was only appointed because she is a black queer woman. And that since those aren't "qualifications" she is therefore unqualified.

But we know that Gavin didn't just decide to pick a black queer woman out of a hat or by lottery, he chose her specifically among qualified candidates.

Trump's cabinet was overwhelmingly straight white males. None of these deplorables attacking Butler (and any other person of color selected for an opportunity) claimed that those dudes were selected just because they are straight whites.

If you look at just a few prominent cabinet-level positions - chief of staff, secretary of state, secretary of defense and attorney general - the only thing the 12 people who served in those capacities under Trump have in common is that they are all white dudes. I think we all know why there was no conservative outrage at the fact that they were chosen based on those immutable characteristics, even though every single one of them came under heat from Trump and MAGAts later for being bad choices who were terrible at their jobs.

Maybe if Trump wasn't limited to selecting straight white men he could have found qualified candidates. We'll never know.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

sycasey said:

That caretaker will be voting in the Senate for a year. We don't need a caretaker. That was Diane Feinstein. We need a Senator.

Get back to me if she starts making votes wildly out of line with what Feinstein would have done. Bet you she won't.
sycasey
dimitrig said:

If you had a job opening and three very qualified people applied for it would you then give it to someone that couldn't even be bothered to apply?

The analogy does not hold because this is ultimately meant to be an elected position and not one chosen by a boss.
BearHunter
dajo9 said:

Pandering = Wearing Ghana's kente cloth
BearHunter
dajo9 said:

Not only is Newsom is pandering, he's also virtue signaling that he can't possibly be a racist, misogynistic, homophobe.
dajo9
Yep. You've got it all figured out. Every buzz word you use makes you appear smarter.
SFCityBear
It is entertaining when lefties argue among themselves. I mean, what did you all expect Newsom to do? He is interested in himself, and his own image. He will appoint a person who is not as far left as Barbara Lee, but left enough to satisfy the left in his base, and is replacing Feinstein, the liberal. True liberals are fast disappearing in the Democrat Party as the the party moves more and more to the Left. Schiff will be the one personally offended here, but he is a loyal soldier and will carry on, is how I see it.

I wonder how this will play out. I hear she has been confirmed. Maybe too fast. According to Volokh in Reason mag. Have fun with this:

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/10/02/is-sen-to-be-butler-eligible-to-represent-california/
SFCityBear
dajo9
I can tell you right now how it will play out. Dems will have a primary and in 2024 will elect a Senator.

Meantime you are talking about us arguing a minor two-day story while House Republicans are making history with infighting and dysfunctional governance.
First Page Last Page
Page 235 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.