Breaking News

979,891 Views | 11774 Replies | Last: 29 min ago by movielover
Unit2Sucks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
SFCityBear said:

It is entertaining when lefties argue among themselves. I mean, what did you all expect Newsom to do? He is interested in himself, and his own image. He will appoint a person who is not as far left as Barbara Lee, but left enough to satisfy the left in his base, and is replacing Feinstein, the liberal. True liberals are fast disappearing in the Democrat Party as the the party moves more and more to the Left. Schiff will be the one personally offended here, but he is a loyal soldier and will carry on, is how I see it.

I wonder how this will play out. I hear she has been confirmed. Maybe too fast. According to Volokh in Reason mag. Have fun with this:

https://reason.com/volokh/2023/10/02/is-sen-to-be-butler-eligible-to-represent-california/
Don't you think this is a bit silly? If they don't seat her then won't Newsom just re-appoint her? I don't think anyone is claiming that California now loses a senator until the next election or anything like that.

I tend to be skeptical of elected reps who don't live in the districts they represent but this one actually seems like just a technical complaint. She's been a California resident for a while and only left 2 years ago to take a job which required her to work in DC. And guess what, being a senator also requires you to work in DC and senators spend most of their time in DC (typically living in surrounding areas like Virginia), just like she has been.

We've learned over the last few years that the norms we used to respect as a country no longer really matter. The speaker of the house was just vacated with no successor in mind (or even necessarily capable of being selected). The fact that there is a technical argument against Butler seems to be the smallest of tempests in a teapot compared to the real issues we are seeing with the annihilation of norms we used to take for granted.
movielover
Keep sending them to NYC.

movielover
The norms, like paying respect to Senator Feinstein?

Or passing the baton to the black Liberal woman politician in Los Angeles?

Or selecting people based on merit and experience, not Identity politics? (Which got us the most incompetent VP ever.)
dajo9
Kamala Harris is a great VP racking up youth support for the Dems. Butler is perfectly qualified for the Senate.

I think you just don't like black people.
"They're eating the pets"
3 time Republican nominee for President
BearHunter
  • The Democrat chair of the foreign affairs committee was charged with taking bribes from a foreign country
  • The DC attorney general has sent subpoenas to Democrat dark money giant Arabella Advisors over possible illegal activity
  • A House Democrat stalled a house proceeding by pulling a fire alarm, a felony.
  • Biden's envoy to Iran was outed as an Iranian spy
  • Gavin Newsom appointed a Marylander to be California's senator
  • Hunter Biden pleaded not guilty to a felony gun charge
  • Hunter was caught listing his dad's home address as the beneficiary on a wire transfer from Communist China.
dajo9
BearHunter said:

• The Democrat chair of the foreign affairs committee was charged with taking bribes from a foreign country
  • The DC attorney general has sent subpoenas to Democrat dark money giant Arabella Advisors over possible illegal activity
  • A House Democrat stalled a house proceeding by pulling a fire alarm, a felony.
  • Biden's envoy to Iran was outed as an Iranian spy
  • Gavin Newsom appointed a Marylander to be California's senator
  • Hunter Biden pleaded not guilty to a felony gun charge
  • Hunter was caught listing his dad's home address as the beneficiary on a wire transfer from Communist China.

Sounds like the walls are closing in
Cal88
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

Looks like a good time for some more tax cuts.

Don't worry, they will pay for themselves with increased productivity. Absolutely none will go to stock buybacks.

Unit2Sucks
dajo9 said:

Kamala Harris is a great VP racking up youth support for the Dems. Butler is perfectly qualified for the Senate.

C'mon dajo, you are smarter than this. It's not racist to only appoint unqualified white men to these sorts of positions, even those whom you later claim are losers who you only appointed because other white men asked you to pick their friends. The fact that there are thousands of people of color better qualified for almost every position than the mediocre white dudes people like Trump appoints isn't racism either.

Racism is when you appoint any person of color to any political position, regardless of their qualifications. Any time there is a white person more qualified than the person of color, that person of color was appointed due to affirmative action. Any time a white person is appointed instead of a more qualified person of color, that's just the application of individual discretion.

Trying to apply the same standard of review to the appointment of white dudes and everyone else is racist and sexist against white dudes, because they've earned the right to receive preferential treatment.

Eastern Oregon Bear
Why does zerohedge have a nearly naked beefcake model as their account image?
Cal88
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

I think it's from the Fight Club movie, which is the avatar and handle of the site owner.
Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

C'mon dajo, you are smarter than this. It's not racist to only appoint unqualified white men to these sorts of positions, even those whom you later claim are losers who you only appointed because other white men asked you to pick their friends. The fact that there are thousands of people of color better qualified for almost every position than the mediocre white dudes people like Trump appoints isn't racism either.

Racism is when you appoint any person of color to any political position, regardless of their qualifications. Any time there is a white person more qualified than the person of color, that person of color was appointed due to affirmative action. Any time a white person is appointed instead of a more qualified person of color, that's just the application of individual discretion.

Trying to apply the same standard of review to the appointment of white dudes and everyone else is racist and sexist against white dudes, because they've earned the right to receive preferential treatment.

She is the dumbest VP in my lifetime, even dumber than Dan Quayle. You have to be pretty far gone as a bleeding heart true believer to hear her speak and not agree with this assessment.
dimitrig
Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

She is the dumbest VP in my lifetime, even dumber than Dan Quayle. You have to be pretty far gone as a bleeding heart true believer to hear her speak and not agree with this assessment.

I agree. What law school was dumb enough to admit her?

oski003
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

Hastings. Okay law school that requires good college grades but not high lsat scores.
Cal88
dimitrig said:

Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dajo9 said:

Hastings, a pretty decent but not elite law school. Quayle got his JD from IU, which is of a similar level.

Have her grades or LSAT been publicized?

Kamala got where she is because she became an integral part of the incestuous SF Democrat establishment riding her boyfriend Willie Brown's political machine.
Unit2Sucks
dimitrig said:

Hastings isn't a bad school and nothing to be ashamed of. Contrast with the sh't tier school that Pence went to - which barely cracks the top 100. No offense to any sh't tier lawyers here. In case anyone is wondering, sh't tier is a term of art describing schools ranked that low.

I think if Harris were a white male, no one would be calling her dumb. She did fairly well in the debates - consensus is that she out performed Pence head to head. A lot of the criticism directed at her is from bigots who don't give her the benefit of the doubt they give to mediocre white dudes.

I know someone who worked directly for Harris when she was California's AG and he only has positive things to say about her. We used to work together and have a pretty candid relationship so I'm confident he gives me a straight answer.

I'm not going to pretend that she ran a good presidential campaign or that she's won America over as VP - she hasn't had the impact that Cheney or Biden has in the last few decades - but she's not dumb.

I don't think she's done enough in this stint to make her a front runner in 2028, and it will be hard for the democrats to win 5 out of 6 elections but maybe she will surprise me in her second term.

Her approval ratings may be misleading - they more or less mirror Biden's and aren't worse than Biden's were when he was VP. Everything is polarized now so it's almost impossible to have good approval ratings unless you are winning a war that we were forced into, which hopefully we won't experience in our lifetimes.

I won't be surprised if we see ambitious politicians eschew the VP role entirely. It no longer sets you up for success because you get nailed with every failure your President makes and get no credit for any wins. It's become a thankless position.

Cal88
Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

Hastings isn't a bad school and nothing to be ashamed of. Contrast with the sh't tier school that Pence went to - which barely cracks the top 100. No offense to any sh't tier lawyers here. In case anyone is wondering, sh't tier is a term of art describing schools ranked that low.

I think if Harris were a white male, no one would be calling her dumb. She did fairly well in the debates - consensus is that she out performed Pence head to head. A lot of the criticism directed at her is from bigots who don't give her the benefit of the doubt they give to mediocre white dudes.

I know someone who worked directly for Harris when she was California's AG and he only has positive things to say about her. We used to work together and have a pretty candid relationship so I'm confident he gives me a straight answer.

I'm not going to pretend that she ran a good presidential campaign or that she's won America over as VP - she hasn't had the impact that Cheney or Biden has in the last few decades - but she's not dumb.

I don't think she's done enough in this stint to make her a front runner in 2028, and it will be hard for the democrats to win 5 out of 6 elections but maybe she will surprise me in her second term.

Her approval ratings may be misleading - they more or less mirror Biden's and aren't worse than Biden's were when he was VP. Everything is polarized now so it's almost impossible to have good approval ratings unless you are winning a war that we were forced into, which hopefully we won't experience in our lifetimes.

I won't be surprised if we see ambitious politicians eschew the VP role entirely. It no longer sets you up for success because you get nailed with every failure your President makes and get no credit for any wins. It's become a thankless position.

Would she have gotten into Hastings if she were a white male?

She was completely destroyed in the Dem debate by Tulsi, about as bad as iJeb! was in the 2016 Rep debate.

I can't recall any high level official that sounds dumber than Kamala in her empty (but legendary) word salad deliveries.
Big C
Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

She was completely destroyed in the Dem debate by Tulsi, about as bad as iJeb! was in the 2016 Rep debate.

I can't recall any high level official that sounds dumber than Kamala in her empty (but legendary) word salad deliveries.

Dumber than Quayle? Let's find out (I doubt she reads this board): Somebody from the press, ask her to spell "potato"!
dajo9
Kamala Harris is light years more intelligent than Donald Trump. It's true she isn't a white dude though.
sycasey
Big C said:

Cal88 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

dimitrig said:

Dumber than Quayle? Let's find out (I doubt she reads this board): Somebody from the press, ask her to spell "potato"!
Have we already forgotten the word-salad nonsense that regularly came from our previous President?
dajo9
Cal88 said:

I think it's from the Fight Club movie, which is the avatar and handle of the site owner.

The zerohedge owner began his career as a Soviet propagandist. Zerohedge is America hating, Russian propaganda.
BearHunter
dajo9 said:

Kamala Harris is light years more intelligent than Donald Trump. It's true she isn't a white dude though.
Mayor Willie is missing some of that good young Kamala loving.
82gradDLSdad
dajo9 said:

She is no doubt smarter but she will NEVER be president and it's not because she's black or female. She does a freestyle word dance around everything. No one likes that and you know it. Trump's idiocy at least resonates with with, uh, some folks.
DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

The zerohedge owner began his career as a Soviet propagandist. Zerohedge is America hating, Russian propaganda.

I'm not surprised that Cal88 would repeatedly "parrot" a Bulgarian named Krasimir Ivandkiiski (pen name Tyler Durden) who spends every day of his life promoting Russian propaganda and the demise of the United States and its financial markets.

Some people are dumber than dumb.
Or, they are who they are and represent a Russian Troll Farm.

Is Zero Hedge a Russian Trojan Horse? | The New Republic

U.S. Accuses Zero Hedge of Spreading Russian Propaganda - Bloomberg

Unmasking the Men Behind Zero Hedge, Wall Street's Renegade Blog - Bloomberg

Zero Hedge 'Unmasked'? There's More To The Story (yahoo.com)

Tim Backshall, formerly of Zerohedge after his second hip replacement.
One of the 3 Tyler Durden's at Zerobrains spewing anti-American Russian propaganda.

Resident of Danville, CA and living in a multi-million dollar home.
So much for being about anti-capitalism.
Hypocrite..

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
dajo9
Welcome back
DiabloWags
dajo9 said:

Welcome back

As you have been shown to be highly mistaken in the past with the monthly CPI data, one data point does not a trend make.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
dajo9
DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

Welcome back

As you have been shown to be highly mistaken in the past with the monthly CPI data, one data point does not a trend make.

Addiction is a strong opponent. Some of us just give in.
Cal88
DiabloWags said:

dajo9 said:

Cal88 said:

I'm not surprised that Cal88 would repeatedly "parrot" a Bulgarian named Krasimir Ivandkiiski (pen name Tyler Durden) who spends every day of his life promoting Russian propaganda and the demise of the United States and its financial markets.

Some people are dumber than dumb.
Or, they are who they are and represent a Russian Troll Farm.

Is Zero Hedge a Russian Trojan Horse? | The New Republic

U.S. Accuses Zero Hedge of Spreading Russian Propaganda - Bloomberg

Unmasking the Men Behind Zero Hedge, Wall Street's Renegade Blog - Bloomberg

Zero Hedge 'Unmasked'? There's More To The Story (yahoo.com)

Tim Backshall, formerly of Zerohedge after his second hip replacement.
One of the 3 Tyler Durden's at Zerobrains spewing anti-American Russian propaganda.

Resident of Danville, CA and living in a multi-million dollar home.
So much for being about anti-capitalism.
Hypocrite..

Welcome back Diablo! I guess your perpetual self-imposed exile lasted 3 months.

Got to admit that your theatrical grandstanding and high-drama contributions are pretty entertaining, glad to have you back, comrade.
movielover
dajo9 said:

ZZZZZZZzzzzzz
movielover
BearHunter said:

dajo9 said:

Mayor Willie is missing some of that good young Kamala loving.

Another Northern CA Lib who shacks up with young Communists.
movielover
Doom Cycle continues:

movielover
I stopped at American Canyon for a cold drink at McDonalds. High schoolers here, a few couples, and a couple of lost souls.

One younger emaciated woman is eating, has something light blue smeared on her face. I'm seated with my back to her, looking towards the windows.

Emaciated woman to another (normal) woman. "Do you have anything to smoke?" Normy, "Cigarettes, or marijuana?" Troubled woman: "Meth. Crystal meth?"
Big C

I stopped at Trader Joe's on Monday. Next to at least half of their regular items, they had the same thing in "pumpkin". Why the heck would anyone want pumpkin-infused olive oil, or pumpkin-spiced Prosecco?!?

When are adults going to stop living for Halloween for a whole month, as if we were still seven-year-old kids? Even the kids don't care about it until the week of.

In other news, some kid stepped on my lawn this afternoon. I had to yell at him...
SFCityBear
Unit2Sucks said:

No one has mentioned this, but aren't all 3 candidates currently house members? The GOP minority is extremely slim and appointing one of them would have left a vacant house seat for the remainder of the term.

I don't think Butler is nearly as unqualified as people are making her out to be. She led a large labor union (almost 400k members, California's largest) for more than a decade and was a public policy director for Airbnb. She's apparently a prolific fundraiser and has been running an influential PAC the last few years. I'm guessing that Newsom thought that she would be a more valuable ally to him than any of the other candidates and I don't think he's wrong. It's also a sign of respect for Kamala Harris and maybe was an olive branch to her.

She has strong roots in California, so the fact that she most recently was living out of state isn't really a big deal.

I am not surprised at the number of disingenuous conservatives attacking her for being black and queer. They vote and support far less qualified people. I suppose just because they are white men. When white men are elected or appointed with no qualifications, the deplorable are silent and never say "he was just elected because he isn't black, queer or female." Gavin had plenty of qualified black women to choose from and it wasn't hard for him to find one better suited to be our senator than any number of dreadful white men currently serving in the senate.

What qualified RFK Jr. to be president? Or Trump? Or Andrew Yang?
What qualified Kelly Loeffler to be a senator when she was appointed? Or as pointed out before, Tuberville or Herschel?

Qualifications never matter to conservative darlings.

Not everyone will be as well qualified as Feinstein or Kamala Harris. Schiff and Barbara Lee are both well qualified, but I would consider Butler to be better qualified to be California's senator than Katie Porter. Porter has very little history of public service (just her second term as a rep) and as far as I can tell she doesn't have much history or connection to California.

I admit I am not as adept at searching the internet as most of you here, but I searched high and low to find any conservatives, disingenuous or otherwise, who "attacked her for being black and queer. Please help me out here and give us some names. And they should be conservatives, not just Republicans, because as you very well know, not all conservatives are Republicans, and vice versa, not all Republicans are conservatives. We should not conflate the two, IMO.

As to qualifications, and who is qualified and who is not, politicians are chosen to run or be appointed to office by their qualifications, their past history in preparing for a job at the next level, but they also can be chosen for their loyalty to party higher-ups and cast their votes in step (sometimes in lock-step) with those who are choosing or appointing them. Sometimes they are chosen for their value in attracting prospective voters, and prospective donors.

As to the first qualification, one's work experience and life experience preparing them for the next level, what makes you believe that those qualifications would be a predictor of success in their position at a higher level? There are many examples of highly qualified politicians who failed badly after they won an election to a higher level. Herbert Hoover comes to mind. Lyndon Johnson. How about Joe Biden? Who could have been better qualified for the job he now has? 50 years in politics, rising to be named vice-president and working 8 years in that job. As President, blunder after blunder, plunging the country into inflation, caving in to China and Iran, horrible exit from Afghanistan, selling off strategic oil reserves at a low price, letting a spy balloon from China hover over sensitive military installations, with nothing more than a wave at it?

How about his highly qualified cabinet? Many are highly qualified. Austin had a fine military record, and he's in charge of the Afghanistan debacle. Harris had a good career in law and as a senator, and she completely fumbles her main responsibility, keep the border secure. Blinken seemed to check all the boxes with his work history, and what has he done? We are less respected in the Middle East, and in China. Mayorkas was eminently qualified to be the Border Czar, and all he has done is mess it up, and lie constantly that the border is secure. Secure from armadillos maybe. Garland? He is highly qualified, but he is also an example of a yes man. That is not a qualification for office, it is a qualification for doing what his party or his President wishes. He will do as he is told, meaning stifle or at least slow-walk, all investigations of the Biden family, and come up with enough charges and lawsuits, and enough partisan judges, to keep the most popular Republican off the presidential ballot in 2024. His performance in front of Congressional Committee did not impress me. He was so tentative, so nervous, I wonder how he got his job in the first place.

On the other hand there have been a number people with seemingly unimpressive or even no qualifications for office, who have been successful after they won their election. Abe Lincoln comes to mind. Harry Truman had even less qualification for President. I would say say that Barack Obama did not appear to have the qualifications to be President, but I should think that you would say he was a successful President, wouldn't you?
SFCityBear
BearHunter
Big C said:

I stopped at Trader Joe's on Monday. Next to at least half of their regular items, they had the same thing in "pumpkin". Why the heck would anyone want pumpkin-infused olive oil, or pumpkin-spiced Prosecco?!?

When are adults going to stop living for Halloween for a whole month, as if we were still seven-year-old kids? Even the kids don't care about it until the week of.

In other news, some kid stepped on my lawn this afternoon. I had to yell at him...
First Page Last Page
Page 236 of 337

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.