Breaking News

785,778 Views | 10462 Replies | Last: 5 hrs ago by MinotStateBeav
bear2034
How long do you want to ignore this user?
sycasey said:

So wait, what is the argument here? The CIA planned a surprise terrorist attack in Moscow that they . . . warned the Russian government about ahead of time? That doesn't sound like a thing you do if you planned the attack.

The warning came from the State Department and was directed to U.S. citizens associated with the U.S. embassies and consulates in Russia.
Eastern Oregon Bear
bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

So wait, what is the argument here? The CIA planned a surprise terrorist attack in Moscow that they . . . warned the Russian government about ahead of time? That doesn't sound like a thing you do if you planned the attack.

The warning came from the State Department and was directed to U.S. citizens associated with the U.S. embassies and consulates in Russia.
Are you saying the Russian government doesn't pay attention to our security alerts for American citizens? Once again, if we were planning the attack, why would we go public with it ahead of time?
bear2034
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

Once again, if we were planning the attack, why would we go public with it ahead of time?
Like when Biden and Nuland both said they were going to end NordStream 2?
bear2034
Eastern, I would recommend you stop lobbing these softballs for me to respond to before people think you and I are the same person and that your account is a sock puppet account created by me.
Eastern Oregon Bear
bear2034 said:

Eastern, I would recommend you stop lobbing these softballs for me to respond to before people think you and I are the same person and that your account is a sock puppet account created by me.
I'll stop striking you out because everyone knows the weird place you're coming from and it's pointless for me to try and talk logic with someone who doesn't have a mind that works logically. It's a waste of my time.
bear2034

It's a waste of my time.
You can't quit me.
sycasey

bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

Are you saying the Russian government doesn't pay attention to our security alerts for American citizens? Once again, if we were planning the attack, why would we go public with it ahead of time?

Multiple outlets report that the US says it also informed the Russian government directly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-68646375.amp

Quote:

"The US government also shared this information with Russian authorities in accordance with its long-standing 'duty to warn' policy," a US official said in a statement after the attack.

bear2034

Kirby said to those U.S. citizens in Russia to stay plugged in for news. At least we'll get a heads up from our own State Department when the next attack will happen. Avoid large gatherings, concerts, shopping malls, etc...
movielover
bear2034
Bill Maher is only four years late. Imagine if he made kente cloth jokes during the middle of the George Floyd riots.
movielover
Fourth Black Female Harvard Scholar Accused of Plagiarism Amid Assault on DEI Initiatives

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2024/3/22/cross-plagiarism-harvard-anonymous-complaint/
MinotStateBeav

hahaha
movielover
Five transvestites in one college volleyball game.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3DSe8-LIZm/?igsh=NjZiM2M3MzIxNA==
Eastern Oregon Bear
bear2034 said:

It's a waste of my time.
You can't quit me.
Oh yeah? Watch this...
bearister
Maher also made it clear that there is no bridge too far, as far as he is concerned, with regard to the lack of proportionality of Netanyahu's scorched earth policy towards the Palestinian people. Hmm…
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
movielover
Not surprising. Sad news.

California study finds suicide risk doubles after male-to-female surgeries

https://www.thecentersquare.com/california/article_c510ab4c-e237-11ee-b691-57a7d516f1e8.html
Big C
movielover said:

Bill Maher is spot on about 85% of the time (including on this). The Vigilant Fox should post all of Maher's opinions! He could then be batting .850 (instead of .050... way below even the Mendoza Line).
movielover
concordtom

bear2034 said:

I'll stop striking you out because everyone knows the weird place you're coming from and it's pointless for me to try and talk logic with someone who doesn't have a mind that works logically. It's a waste of my time.

"Ignore User" is a blessing
concordtom
sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

They did not warn the Russian government, they had inside info and details on the upcoming operations ('concert"), but they did not share the info, sources or analyses that led them to precisely pinpoint the planned target, a concert in Moscow.
Hahahaha, this is the weakest s*** ever. So the US warned Russia that they thought a terrorist attack would be coming at a public event like a concert, but because they did not give them the PRECISE LOCATION that means the US is responsible for the attack.

Do you even hear yourself right now?

If this happened under Trump's watch he would be praising the government for trying to help the innocent concert goers despite the fact we are fighting a proxy war against their country.

Cal88, what say you about this accusation? I can't think of anything reasonable; you should probably just shut up.
calbear93
Big C said:

movielover said:

Bill Maher is spot on about 85% of the time (including on this). The Vigilant Fox should post all of Maher's opinions! He could then be batting .850 (instead of .050... way below even the Mendoza Line).
I think pandering only works for house seats, but when disingenuous identity politics are played on the national level, it makes people seek out radicals like Trump as a reaction.

What will win national elections are discussions on economy, middle class jobs, crime and safety, and global affairs. Instead we get so much damn white noise that the whole election becomes about who can pander more on irrelevant matters for most Americans.

This presidency will come down to a few states, and it won't be about reparation, gender identity, religion, etc. Those are the dreams of the tribalists who get aroused by needing to feel superior based on what they say they believe on both sides. It will come down to every day struggles of most Americans in the Rust Belt and Sun Belt and not on the coast and whether they feel better about their quality of life and the future of their children.
Cal88
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

They did not warn the Russian government, they had inside info and details on the upcoming operations ('concert"), but they did not share the info, sources or analyses that led them to precisely pinpoint the planned target, a concert in Moscow.
Hahahaha, this is the weakest s*** ever. So the US warned Russia that they thought a terrorist attack would be coming at a public event like a concert, but because they did not give them the PRECISE LOCATION that means the US is responsible for the attack.

If this happened under Trump's watch he would be praising the government for trying to help the innocent concert goers despite the fact we are fighting a proxy war against their country.

Cal88, what say you about this accusation? I can't think of anything reasonable

Agreed.
concordtom
Cal88 said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Agreed.

I nominate this exchange to go on your epitaph. Thank you. I'll say some nice words on your behalf.
tequila4kapp
blungld said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

At risk of getting "war on Xmas" type responses, why do we use terms like "So help me God" as part of swearing in? They are not becoming Bishops, they are swearing to serve in government and defend the office and Constitution. Is that not the higher authority, and the people themselves, to whom they are accountable? Or are they supposed to only abide by their oath for fear that God will punish them?

Separation of Church and State aside (which is equally good reason for not doing this), this seems to be totally illogical and antithetical to the purpose of the swearing in. It in fact seems to justify the breaking or diminishing of the laws of man, or the laws of the land to which they are being sworn to serve, and instead ascribing their REAL responsibility to serving the laws of God (whose God, which faith?).

How about instead they do the job of serving the people and protecting the Constitution rather than serving religion, self-interest, money, or party over country, and swear to resign office if they violate this oath?
Nobody is serving God. All of our founders were Christian. You know, the whole Pilgrims/religious persecution thing. Since faith was a common foundation making an affirmation before God was seen as a way to ensure truthfulness and honesty.
Cal88
concordtom said:

Cal88 said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

Cal88 said:

sycasey said:

Agreed.

I nominate this exchange to go on your epitaph. Thank you. I'll say some nice words on your behalf.

That's how it will start, and then you will go on a half hour tirade about Trump.
Lets Go Brandon 11
movielover said:

Lawsuit
https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/24172809-x-v-media-matters-complaint-filestamped-1

movielover
Variety: Sean 'Diddy' Combs' Properties Raided by Homeland Security as Part of Sex Trafficking Investigation
concordtom
tequila4kapp said:

blungld said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

At risk of getting "war on Xmas" type responses, why do we use terms like "So help me God" as part of swearing in? They are not becoming Bishops, they are swearing to serve in government and defend the office and Constitution. Is that not the higher authority, and the people themselves, to whom they are accountable? Or are they supposed to only abide by their oath for fear that God will punish them?

Separation of Church and State aside (which is equally good reason for not doing this), this seems to be totally illogical and antithetical to the purpose of the swearing in. It in fact seems to justify the breaking or diminishing of the laws of man, or the laws of the land to which they are being sworn to serve, and instead ascribing their REAL responsibility to serving the laws of God (whose God, which faith?).

How about instead they do the job of serving the people and protecting the Constitution rather than serving religion, self-interest, money, or party over country, and swear to resign office if they violate this oath?
Nobody is serving God. All of our founders were Christian. You know, the whole Pilgrims/religious persecution thing. Since faith was a common foundation making an affirmation before God was seen as a way to ensure truthfulness and honesty.

This exchange is good.
blungld: you prefer they instead say "so help me constitution"?

If so, that's odd because the constitution can be altered via amendments. In this case, an oath would be like "So help me constitution, as of the time of this oath. I reserve the right to NOT swear upon the constitution should it be altered in the future in a manner in which I disagree."

I propose we ask Neil Degrasse Tyson what the highest order of the universe is and consider that as the oath.

"So help me cosmic universal truth"

PS: blungld is one of my favorite all-time BI posters. Most Thoughtful award.
concordtom
You get the Turkey aware.
Don't bother reading.
SFCityBear
calbear93 said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

I think pandering only works for house seats, but when disingenuous identity politics are played on the national level, it makes people seek out radicals like Trump as a reaction.

What will win national elections are discussions on economy, middle class jobs, crime and safety, and global affairs. Instead we get so much damn white noise that the whole election becomes about who can pander more on irrelevant matters for most Americans.

This presidency will come down to a few states, and it won't be about reparation, gender identity, religion, etc. Those are the dreams of the tribalists who get aroused by needing to feel superior based on what they say they believe on both sides. It will come down to every day struggles of most Americans in the Rust Belt and Sun Belt and not on the coast and whether they feel better about their quality of life and the future of their children.
I agree with much of this. But isn't the massive increase in illegal entry over the last 3 years something on voters' minds this time? Where does it fit in to your brief summary of what the Presidential election will come down to? That would appear to be important to the citizens of Rust Belt and Sun Belt especially. Cities on the coasts and inland are getting stressed by all the illegals being sent there by the Administration and Red border State Governors as well. And how about free and fair democratic elections? Prior to the last election, the major effort by the lawyers on one side worked to change voting laws in most states, to expand voting rules to include many less secure ways of voting such as mail in ballots, unsupervised drop boxes, and the like. A big percentage of the people care about that. Maybe you could include that under crime and safety, except the Administration and its voters don't consider it a crime at all. Just like he isn't willing to call crossing the border a crime, unless it is a slip of the tongue.

And where are these "discussions" you speak of? I don't see a populace willing to discuss much of anything. The politicians have drifted into two camps of rigid thinking and hate for one another. Has the leader, the President, discussed anything that you can remember? We don't know what is discussed, if anything behind closed doors, but in public, he says nothing. He spouts vitriol, but won't engage in discussion. It is his way or the highway. Period. He won't answer any reporter's questions unless he is caught off guard. He did appear in one presidential debate, moderated by a Democrat, who as suspected, cut off his opponent several times to help his preferred candidate. And how can you have discussions when nearly all the media has chosen one side, and censors or ridicules the other side?

Yours was a very good post, a post I wish I could believe in. Maybe it will come to pass. I sure hope so.

SFCityBear
bear2034

Democrat strategist and former Bill Clinton staffer James Carville has outraged members of his own party by saying that Democrats are dominated by "preachy females."

He was basically referring to AWFLs - Affluent White Female Liberals

Even if what he said is true, Carville wasn't supposed to say this out loud.
bear2034
movielover said:

Variety: Sean 'Diddy' Combs' Properties Raided by Homeland Security as Part of Sex Trafficking Investigation

Yikes, I wonder who else is involved?
bear2034
SFCityBear said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

I agree with much of this. But isn't the massive increase in illegal entry over the last 3 years something on voters' minds this time? Where does it fit in to your brief summary of what the Presidential election will come down to? That would appear to be important to the citizens of Rust Belt and Sun Belt especially. Cities on the coasts and inland are getting stressed by all the illegals being sent there by the Administration and Red border State Governors as well. And how about free and fair democratic elections? Prior to the last election, the major effort by the lawyers on one side worked to change voting laws in most states, to expand voting rules to include many less secure ways of voting such as mail in ballots, unsupervised drop boxes, and the like. A big percentage of the people care about that. Maybe you could include that under crime and safety, except the Administration and its voters don't consider it a crime at all. Just like he isn't willing to call crossing the border a crime, unless it is a slip of the tongue.

And where are these "discussions" you speak of? I don't see a populace willing to discuss much of anything. The politicians have drifted into two camps of rigid thinking and hate for one another. Has the leader, the President, discussed anything that you can remember? We don't know what is discussed, if anything behind closed doors, but in public, he says nothing. He spouts vitriol, but won't engage in discussion. It is his way or the highway. Period. He won't answer any reporter's questions unless he is caught off guard. He did appear in one presidential debate, moderated by a Democrat, who as suspected, cut off his opponent several times to help his preferred candidate. And how can you have discussions when nearly all the media has chosen one side, and censors or ridicules the other side?

Yours was a very good post, a post I wish I could believe in. Maybe it will come to pass. I sure hope so.

I agree with most of what you posted SFCityBear. I also think most Americans are busier than ever trying to make ends meet but at the same time, they have some idea of what's going on and understand they're being lied to by the media and government. I also think the Republican politicians in DC are mostly indistinguishable from the Democratic ones based on their voting record except for a notable few and that the current state of affairs isn't unnoticed by the silent majority of the population.
calbear93
SFCityBear said:

calbear93 said:

Big C said:

movielover said:

Absolutely agree with you on illegal immigration. While I disagree with the rhetoric that illegal immigrants are taking jobs from American citizens, status of illegal immigration post Biden election is a dangerous situation. It is too much of a burden on American residents to add to already breaking local budgets to provide basic necessities, to lack of any meaningful control on who is coming in (not saying they are all criminals, but there is no way to determine who is coming over when they come in without any control), and to add to the violent crimes already making Americans feel unsafe (crime committed by illegal immigrants it is not zero, no matter your point of view).

I am sure Biden and Harris wish they had not tried to take political points by emphasizing to the whole world how different and more inviting to illegal immigration they will be relative to Trump - especially when they realized that it didn't even get them the expected bump from minorities who also want some control over who is coming in. You can have the most trustworthy employees, but if a public company has zero internal control over financial reporting or has numerous material weakness, you cannot trust in their financial statements. We are a nation of laws and a sovereign country, and we need to control our border and not incentivize illegal immigration.

The only issue with the Republicans is that, while I agree with them that we need more control, the Republicans are all talk and no action. What have they done? Other than complain, have they passed anything? They have the majority in the house. Have they sent anything to the Senate? Have they tried to negotiate with the Democrats, recognizing that they are not dictators and there are others with different viewpoints? No. They are all fluff. So, if we have leaders who do not know how to lead or deliver results, why should those same leaders stay in power? Any clown off the street can just complain. I want leaders who can lead a group of individuals with differing opinions and deliver results for the country. Republicans like MGT and Gaetz have embarrassingly shown to even a conservatives like me that they are better posting on twitter and trolling than being anywhere near power.

Just to be clear, I have the same disdain for the "woke", triffling extremes on the far left who don't believe in enforcing laws other than to punish corporation or to vilify those who are actually building innovations, who think shaming others excuses their shameful behavior, who just complain and complain with zero practical solutions, who think equality is about equal results (unless someone is worse off and they also have to sacrifice) irrespective of work ethic, investments, talent or sacrifices, and who think they can build more government, more regulation, and more taxes without eventually crushing the economy.

But I am way past thinking the Republicans, at least the current iteration, will ever deliver anything other than soundbites.

And I don't expect real discussions. When you have idiots like AOC, Gaetz and MTG, what is there to discuss? They are not interested in listening. They are only interested in air time and promoting themselves.
First Page Last Page
Page 292 of 299

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.