Breaking News

865,309 Views | 10907 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by dajo9
concordtom
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Not breaking news, but I enjoyed this talk with Barbara McQuade and Joyce Vance at the Commonwealth Club, posted 1 month ago.

MinotStateBeav
The moon is made up of mostly gases apparently.
bearister
Why America isn't as divided as we think, according to data

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/09/america-politics-divided-polarization-data

" Yes, deep divisions exist on some topics. But on almost every topic of monthly outrage, it's a fringe view or example, amplified by the loudest voices on social media and politicians driving it.

No, most Christians aren't white Christian nationalists who see Donald Trump as a God-like figure. Most are ignoring politics and wrestling with their faith.

No, most college professors aren't trying to silence conservatives or turn kids into liberal activists. Most are teaching math, or physics, or biology.

No, most kids don't hate Israel and run around chanting, "From the river to the sea." On most campuses, most of the time, students are doing what students have always done.

No, most Republicans don't want to ban all abortions starting at conception. No, most Democrats don't want to allow them until birth.

No, immigrants who are here illegally aren't rushing to vote and commit crimes. Actual data show both rarely happen even amid a genuine crisis at the border.

No, most people aren't fighting on X. Turns out, the vast majority of Americans never tweet at all.

No, most people aren't cheering insults on Fox News and MSNBC in the evening. Turns out, less than 2% of Americans are even watching."
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
movielover
Agreed. But 8-16 new illegal immigrants, on top of 20-30 million illegal immigrants already here, plus apparently record rigging, and widespread Lawfare attempting to stop President Donald Trump, is a whole new ball of wax.

Stanford historian Victor Davis Hanson says most of the new illegals are in Florida and Texas, and there is a Democrat plan to flip those states blue - forever.
sycasey
bearister said:

Social media platforms like Twitter/X explicitly encourage political extremism; a small number of relatively extreme political accounts get the lion's share of attention.

You can also see it here with a lot of the nonsense that gets posted from those kinds of accounts.
Unit2Sucks
sycasey said:

bearister said:

Social media platforms like Twitter/X explicitly encourage political extremism; a small number of relatively extreme political accounts get the lion's share of attention.

You can also see it here with a lot of the nonsense that gets posted from those kinds of accounts.
Yes, Twitter is definitely encouraging extremism. They're also encouraging state media accounts which has emboldened malign foreign actors like Russia. You see these obvious accounts popping up and getting clout like Bebo, War Clandestine, Vigilant Fox etc. and it's been getting more and more mindshare in the conservative base.

Even mainstream GOPers are starting to call out their own party for falling for this nonsense.

movielover
Examples?
oski003
movielover said:

Examples?

It isn't a Republican vs Democratic thing. It is more war-hawks and one world order folks versus isolationists. Also, many folks on both sides of the political aisle financially benefit from our foreign wars.
bear2034
Unit2Sucks said:

Yes, Twitter is definitely encouraging extremism.

Did Twitter encourage extremism prior to Elon Musk firing former FBI employees?
Big C
movielover said:

Science Girl is great.

Oh my God, didn't someone warn that poor soul that they could go blind, walking through eclipse light like that with bare feet?!?
bear2034
No, most college professors aren't trying to silence conservatives or turn kids into liberal activists. Most are teaching math, or physics, or biology.

- Ever see a conservative protest on campus?

No, most kids don't hate Israel and run around chanting, "From the river to the sea." On most campuses, most of the time, students are doing what students have always done.

- Anti-Israel protests and anti-Semitism behavior on campus is at an all-time high

No, immigrants who are here illegally aren't rushing to vote and commit crimes. Actual data show both rarely happen even amid a genuine crisis at the border.

- Crossing the border illegally is a crime by definition

No, most people aren't fighting on X. Turns out, the vast majority of Americans never tweet at all.

- Pre-Elon Twitter shut down the president's account. The left don't debate on Twitter, they hate. The hate is there.

No, most people aren't cheering insults on Fox News and MSNBC in the evening. Turns out, less than 2% of Americans are even watching."

- The left used to cheer insults at Fox News but now we have Twitter. Fox News ratings still beat out MSNBC and CNN even after Tucker left? Axios is correct that no one watches MSNBC.
sycasey
bear2034 said:

- Anti-Israel protests and anti-Semitism behavior on campus is at an all-time high

- Pre-Elon Twitter shut down the president's account. The left don't debate on Twitter, they hate. The hate is there.

- The left used to cheer insults at Fox News but now we have Twitter. Fox News ratings still beat out MSNBC and CNN even after Tucker left? Axios is correct that no one watches MSNBC.
This is exactly the kind of response you'd get from someone who has been radicalized by these extremist Twitter accounts.
Cal88
Ollie saves the day!

bear2034
sycasey said:

This is exactly the kind of response you'd get from someone who has been radicalized by these extremist Twitter accounts.

Art imitates life.
oski003
sycasey said:

bear2034 said:

This is exactly the kind of response you'd get from someone who has been radicalized by DNC paid for social media shills.
sycasey
oski003 said:

sycasey said:

bear2034 said:

This is exactly the kind of response you'd get from someone who has been radicalized by DNC paid for social media shills.

What the hell are you talking about?
Eastern Oregon Bear
sycasey said:

oski003 said:

sycasey said:

bear2034 said:

What the hell are you talking about?
Oski003 thinks any statement still makes sense when he changes a couple of words from the previous statement. It's his lazy passive aggressive approach.
movielover
Oski believes in facts... and his pld Cal cardigan sweater.
movielover
Jason Whitlock believes Caitlyn Clark should return to Iowa for year 5, make $20M, and then retire to avoid the nasty militant woke WNBA spectacle.
82gradDLSdad
bear2034 said:

sycasey said:

Art imitates life.

MinotStateBeav
I've Been at NPR for 25 Years. Here's How We Lost America's Trust. -Uri Berliner, a veteran at the public radio institution, says the network lost its way when it started telling listeners how to think.

https://www.thefp.com/p/npr-editor-how-npr-lost-americas-trust

Really great article and tracks when I kind of stopped listening to NPR in 2012 or 2013. It was always kinda liberal but it changed and went pretty far left.
MinotStateBeav
SAN FRANCISCO TO BUSINESS OWNERS 'HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CLOSE ON US!'
movielover
Cute New York infatuation / love story, one minute video. A few items make it better.

- interviewer inappropriate 'sex' question
- young man corrects him, discretely
- young lady non-verbals w foot

82gradDLSdad
MinotStateBeav said:

SAN FRANCISCO TO BUSINESS OWNERS 'HOW DARE YOU TRY TO CLOSE ON US!'

Speaking of "...legislating enormously unpopular policies into law..."
bearister
Part II

How bad is polarization in the U.S.? Political experts weigh in

https://www.axios.com/2024/04/10/political-polarization-america-rahm-emanuel
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bear2034
movielover said:

Cute New York infatuation / love story, one minute video. A few items make it better.

- interviewer inappropriate 'sex' question
- young man corrects him, discretely
- young lady non-verbals w foot

Terence made all the right moves. He didn't want to say anything to Jasmine from the beginning because if he got rejected, the entire flight would be awkward. He saved it for the end. And if it didn't work out, no regrets.
okaydo
I have an ethical dilemma:

So last week, in the middle of the night I could not sleep and at 2 a.m., I ended up buying these premium name-brand wireless earbuds brand-new for $65 on eBay.

These usually cost $200 new on Amazon, but you can get them new for about $100 new on eBay.

The price was too good to resist.

I love these earbuds. I have several of them and I wanted more.

At about 5 a.m., I decided that maybe I didn't need it.

So I tried to cancel. eBay said it was too late.

So I contacted the seller, a major eBay seller with hundreds of items in stock.

At around 6 a.m., a USPS tracking # was added to my order.

At around 7 a.m., the seller responded and canceled the order. I quickly got a refund.

But days later, the package arrived in the mail.

I quickly messaged the seller telling them that they had sent me the package in error.

It's been 2 days and they haven't responded back.

What should I do?

1. Should I repeatedly try to message them to take their package back?

2. Or should I wait until mid-May, and if they don't contact me, I'll open the sealed earbuds and keep it permanently?

Keep in mind, they already left me a positive review.

movielover
Email again, good karma.
oskidunker
Did they charge you? Dispute the charge on your credit card.
Go Bears!
movielover
movielover
okaydo
oskidunker said:

Did they charge you? Dispute the charge on your credit card.

As I said in the original post, they refunded me right away.
movielover
Embattled Harvard honesty professor accused of plagiarism

https://www.science.org/content/article/embattled-harvard-honesty-professor-accused-plagiarism
Big C
okaydo said:

I have an ethical dilemma:

So last week, in the middle of the night I could not sleep and at 2 a.m., I ended up buying these premium name-brand wireless earbuds brand-new for $65 on eBay.

These usually cost $200 new on Amazon, but you can get them new for about $100 new on eBay.

The price was too good to resist.

I love these earbuds. I have several of them and I wanted more.

At about 5 a.m., I decided that maybe I didn't need it.

So I tried to cancel. eBay said it was too late.

So I contacted the seller, a major eBay seller with hundreds of items in stock.

At around 6 a.m., a USPS tracking # was added to my order.

At around 7 a.m., the seller responded and canceled the order. I quickly got a refund.

But days later, the package arrived in the mail.

I quickly messaged the seller telling them that they had sent me the package in error.

It's been 2 days and they haven't responded back.

What should I do?

1. Should I repeatedly try to message them to take their package back?

2. Or should I wait until mid-May, and if they don't contact me, I'll open the sealed earbuds and keep it permanently?

Keep in mind, they already left me a positive review.

Just how many earbuds do you have and why so many? Wait, how many ears do you have?
movielover
First Page Last Page
Page 296 of 312

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.