Quick Poll: Politics aside, is Christine Blasey Ford lying?

51,816 Views | 455 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bearister
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

sycasey said:

B.A. Bearacus said:

The article you pasted should have started, not ended, with "COPYRIGHT 2018 ANN COULTER"... which is where my interest in the article would have ended.
Why do right-wingers think that posting Ann Coulter articles is going to help anything? Or is it just about trolling the libs?
Maybe because she is a woman and men's views are dismissed because they don't get it. BTW, Ann Coulter is great for the base. I assume no conservative commentator will help anything on this board.
If your goal is to help increase understanding of the conservative position (if not necessarily gain agreement), then Coulter is an awful place to start. I'm sure she appeals to the base. She has zero credibility whatsoever on the left. I'm not going to saunter in here with Michael Moore quotes to try to argue my point.

Unless of course Coulter's words are actually what you believe, in which case . . . you do you, I guess.
dajo9
Interesting to me that one side wants a full investigation with multiple witnesses where lying is a crime and one side does not.

Occam's razor

Confirming Kavanaugh under the current circumstances, without a full investigation, would be a slap in the face to all American women - particularly those currently in school.
American Vermin
B.A. Bearacus
Very passionate, indeed.

B.A. Bearacus
wifeisafurd
ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Proviso: my wife is far more conservative than me, and works in a rather rough and tumble male dominated profession where she holds her own.

I was surprised by her view, but it just reminded me that women don't all think the same. It was basically teens do stupid things in high school, especially after drinking, and they likely have very different perspectives of what happened, both probably wrong. I tried the what if Ford was our daughter question and got the our daughter won't be at that kind of party, drinking and caught in that situation. So I stuck my tail between my leg and came back here.

BTW, I think complaining about an only 2 witness hearing is perfectly valid. Thinking your entitled to have an FBI investigation of your allegation as part of nomination process is not. My wife on the other hand thinks the whole thing is stupid and a waste of time. Then again, she thinks the time spent on BI is a waste of time (suspect a lot of wives would agree with the BI part).

Can you explain why it would be bad to do an fbi investigation first? Because of the delay? Why would delaying be such a big deal? A delay is only a problem for the GOP if Kavanaugh has to withdraw down the road. But if the GOP is that confident Kavanaugh is telling the truth, that should be a non issue.

And why should ford agree to testify under worse circumstances than Anita hill (and Anita hill was still railroaded). Ford has received death threats, has had to move her family, her life is in complete turmoil and she's supposed to testify on Monday? Ask yourself if you would be so anxious to testify in front of the world in this type of situation.

Do you honestly believe that if ford does testify, that the hearing will actually be about finding facts? Cmon, I know you're not that naive. So why wouldn't you want the fbi to actually find facts (or at least attempt to do so)?

And If I'm Kavanaugh, and I know I'm innocent, I would publically call for an fbi investigation so I can have at least some of this cloud lifted before taking the bench

What if there is no investigation and Ford doesn't testify and Kavanaugh overturns roe? I promise you, that's going to be a problem.
Okay, an actual reasonable post to respond to.

It wouldn't happen because Trump already rejected the request.

The reasons why I say no are:

1) It won't matter. Thomas got cleared and it didn't seem to matter (the FBI also didn't do a very good job). With a purported crime so long ago, there really isn't much the FBI can do. They can ask Ford a lot of questions she doesn't know the answer to (like where was the house?), Kav's brohs won't likely cooperate, Kav will just provide a general denial, and without someone filling in facts, there is not a lot to go on. Physical evidence presumably will not exist or without cooperation, they may FBI may not even have access to (e.g., if they ever determine where the party house is located, since this is not a criminal investigation, they have no authority to gain access), and the FBI will likely refuse to interview the thousand of character witnesses both sides are gathering. The Democrats will then scream about the scope of the investigation and want another investigation, and the FBI will say they don't have sufficient information to make any determination

2) It will take time. The Hill investigation took 3 days and was rather superficial. They interviewed certain Federal employees and the two principals, mistakenly ignoring those outside the agency who had been the recipients of similar conduct of Thomas. Unlike the Thomas matter, this is about physical crime and those types of investigations take time. Here the FBI will have to try to spend a lot of time trying to hunt down (perhaps in vain) the missing facts Ford doesn't know. And since they are not investigating a prosecutable crime, its not like the can compel people to help in a timely manner. In fact, every Republican just thinks the request is a delaying tactic.

3) It's not what the FBI does, and is not within their jurisdiction. When the FBI conducts a background investigation of a presidential nominee, it gathers information about the nominee, including claims from people interviewed by agents, and dumps it into the file. It does not, however, investigate whether or not derogatory information is true unless it's asked to follow up by the White House under guidelines provided by the President, that this doesn't fit. There is actually a longstanding formal memorandum of understanding between DOJ and the White House that specifies these limits. Ford has no authority to request it. Neither does the Senate.

And the in this case unlike Thomas, there's no suggestion of a federal crime, quite apart from the federal statute of limitations issue, which would mean if there was a crime, there would be no prosecution. The FBI doesn't have the jurisdiction to investigate state crimes or matters, or which are barred from prosecution. If Ford could determine where the event occurred she arguably could request locals to do the work and the FBI could consult (but probably won't - see below). But the FBI has no independent authority to open a criminal investigation. This is not to say, the FBI doesn't have expertise with sex crimes (it does), and it just has no jurisdiction over this matter. Interestingly, if the party house was in Maryland, there is no statute of limitations and Ford could ask Maryland local authorities to investigate.

4) The FBI views this as not a criminal matter, but a political one. Among FBI off the record comments to the media are:

It's totally inappropriate for someone to demand we use law enforcement resources to investigate a 35-year-old allegation when she won't go under oath and can't remember key details including when or where it happened;

We are not a toy to be used to judge the credibility or significance of any allegation.

We don't want to be a Ping-Pong ball slapped back and forth by Senators for political expediency. They have their process, use it.

FBI background checks aren't meant to dig up decades-old claims that never resulted in a police report or criminal charges. That's not really what we do The FBI is looking for any kind of current problem. What do I mean by current 7 to 10 years.

5) Why not a hearing? I think Mark Judge and Patrick Smyth should testify, but I also think that maybe the reason the Committee wants to hear in person from Ford is because she's the one leveling a career-destroying charge of rape against a sitting judge, not because she's a woman and they hate women. No one's claiming that Kav should be allowed to skip the hearing and phone in his denial, are they? I just also think that Ford should be able to have the witnesses she identifies testify. Then again, if Ford is telling the truth, why is she now so anxious about the coming attacks of a group of 11 conservative men (white men, heaven forbid) questioning her over a serious rape allegation, when she had agreed to testify earlier? If you make the allegation and have your attorney spouting it out publicly, own it.

You just went to great detail explaining why the FBI cannot initiate an investigation on its own. Which is a lovely strawman you continue to set up, but its quite irrelevant to the discussion here since no one is implying the FBI should initiate an investigation on its own.

"Its not what the FBI does" - sure. but the president could order them to do so anyways
"the FBI does not view it as a criminal matter" - sure. but the president could order them to do a background check and NOT a criminal investigation.

Ok, so can we all agree to the simple fact that the President has the power to order the FBI to do an investigation? (just like when both sides of the aisle agreed and the president went on to order a FBI investigation in the Anita Hill allegations). We can all agree to this fact, yes?

Great! then my question still stands. If the actual purpose of all of this is to find FACTS, then why would it be bad for the President to order an FBI investigation before the hearing?

Your own answer to that seems to be delay. OK, but why is delay an inherently bad thing?

I'll ask in another way (and humor me for a second while I ask in my best Daniel Kaffee voice from a Few Good Men). If (in your own words) an FBI investigation won't matter. IF they are bound to find nothing and clear Kavanaugh anyways, then why is a delay such a bad thing?

Lets say the FBI investigation takes two weeks (Anita Hill took 3 days) and lets say you're right that it was too long ago, its too hard to find evidence, no one will talk, etc and the FBI finds nothing. Why is losing those two weeks bad? There will be a completed investigation, the Senate can then vote Kavanaugh onto the bench two weeks later, and all is good.

In fact, I would argue that if the GOP is so confident that nothing will come of the FBI investigation, it is CLEARLY in their political interest to push for an FBI investigation. Not only will it lift any cloud hanging over Kavanaugh, but more importantly, come midterms, they can tell their voters 'look we did everything we could, we ordered an FBI investigation, we compiled all the facts, we were sensitive to Dr Ford's wishes, but the FBI investigation did not find any wrongdoing by Justice Kavanaugh" That's clearly a better position than looking like you are actively trying to hide the truth.

If the GOP rams the Kavanaugh confirmation thru without hearing from Dr Ford and without asking for an FBI investigation, they will clearly take some sort of hit during the midterms, we can all agree to this, yes?

So again I ask, why not just ask for the FBI investigation if its going to find nothing anyways? surely a two week delay is worth it to avoid the hit they will take in November right?

Why is the GOP in such a rush? Why does the GOP want the hearing to come down to a "he said, she said?" Why not subpeona witnesses? Why not get testimony from experts? Why not try to get as many facts as possible? WHY?

Do me a favor and don't badly restate my answer to fit your arguments.

The FBI investigation likely won't be able to come-up with anything definitive, will nor be timely, and will not be accepted. Your assumption about what the GOP thinks is your own speculation and wrong. Every comment I heard from the GOP Committee Senators is that the FBI investigation is a waste of time designed to put the nomination in limbo, and purely political. You don't even have a crime scene. Yet you now have determined that it will be a two -week investigation based on what? The speed of the Clinton or Russian investigations where the FBI actually had police powers to force documents to be turned over and witnesses to testify (unlike here)? How do you know how long a thorough investigation like this will take? The accuser has so few basic facts about what happened and it could take an entirety to track down the holes in her accusation. For all we know, the Dems would be happy to have the FBI look at every house with a narrow stairway in Maryland and Virginia, while Judge Garland stands by once again waiting.

The other point is even at some point is even if the investigation reaches a conclusion favorable to Kav (and the FBI guys leaking to the media seem to think it won't reach any conclusion based on the paucity of facts and the time that has transpired), the Thomas situation proves it doesn't matter. What good did the FBI report do for him?

The problem Ford has is she doesn't know many of the basic facts of her allegation (such as time and location) and she has huge gaps in her accusation. She has had 35 years to file a criminal complaint to obtain a police investigation or even hire a private investigator. Instead, she wants to use a nomination process for an investigation, where the process for investigation is a hearing. These were conscious decisions, probably made by her lawyer, that she now will have to live with. You can argue the hearing should be expanded in the interest of fairness and not get an argument from me. The GOP wants to insist only Kav and Ford testify, they do so at their peril.

What is the problem with the wait beside the politics of frustrating a nomination? Let's say Kav didn't do it. In the interim there is constant barrage of character assassination occurring. Just look at the crap on this site. My sense is this has very little to do with Ford, and everything to do with payback for Judge Garland, who admittedly got screwed.

Edit: apparently that FBI investigation is no longer that important to Ford. She is willing to testify as long as the hearing is fair. Must have read my post.
sp4149
Another Bear said:

oski003 said:

The hard party thing is real at every school, I'm not sure why you are singling out Catholic Schools for this.
Nope it's different. The level might be the same but the psychological underpinnings are different. Catholics have a thing called Mardi Gras and Carnival in Brazil. MAJOR party and it's related to the coming of Lent, i.e., get in all your partying and sins in now before Lent happens. Do any other cutlurals or religions have this built in, let alone public schools?

FYI even San Diego, the most conservative major city in the state, has a Mardi Gras celebration and we are a long way from Brazil. There is a Portuguese minority but they celebrate Holy Ghost festas instead.

There is the Southern Red state, Louisiana, that has major Mardi Gras celebrations all over the state, admittedly the ones in New Orleans are the most famous and well attended. Public schools are closed for Mardi Gras statewide. The state is about one quarter Catholic, one quarter atheist, and the rest non-Catholic Christian, mostly evangelical. I have family in Louisiana, they are not Catholic, but they join in the Mardi Gras celebration traditions which are quite extensive. Society balls sponsored by 'krewes' are major events all through the state.

So I guess the answer to your question is an emphatic 'YES', right here in this here country. And it is everywhere in the state of Louisiana, even public schools.

FWIW I was raised Portuguese Catholic, attending Holy Ghost 'festas', Mardi Gras Carnivals were unknown.
I learned a lot about Mardi Gras after marrying a Louisiana lady, who wasn't Catholic. I've never been to Brasil, but I do know the correct spelling (there are no 'z's in Portuguese). I have partied in Louisiana.
Another Bear
wifeisafurd said:

Another Bear said:

wifeisafurd said:

Another Bear said:

okaydo said:

Opus Dei Pedophile mafia...and...

I heard Clinton, Weinstein, Spacey, Morgan Freeman, Michael Douglas, John Lasseter, George Tokai, Andy Dick, Oliver Stone, Ben Affleck, James Toback, Matt Lauer, Jmaes Franco, Charlie Rose, Ross Leveinshon from the holier than thou LA Times, Robert Moore, Jann Wenner, Wendell Jamison (NY Times), Hamilton Fish, Travis Kalanick, Tony Cardenas, Eric Schniderman, Clay Johnson, Ben Strong (Center for American Progress), Jeff Klein, Burns Strider (Hillary advisor), Bobby Soctt, Christina Garcia (groping multiple men (you go girl!), Franken, Matt Dabaneh (you might as well put just abut very California assemblyman from either party), Conyers, a lot of Harvard and Dartmouth professors, Brokaw, and Dustin Hoffman, have all renounced their Democratic party affiliation to join the GOP, where they can joint their kindred harASSing souls.
Nice try, this is still about the Supreme Court nomination of Brett Kavanugh. Nice deflection...right from the Wing Nut Playbook:

A) Change the subject, distract, deflect, move the goal posts
B) Blame the victims, play the victim
C) Lie, make shtt up
D) Attack, attack, attack
E) Repeat, rinse

So far you've tried to shift the blame here. It seems Brett is LYING, meanwhile the GOP keep making shtt up. Nice try...this is on the GOP and the very un-American practice of ramming through a nomination on short order without a fair process. If Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill got a FBI investigation, so should Prof. Ford. But the GOP rather railroad the process.
Yup, the GOP are now the party of Trump the Toad and Russkie enabler. Un-American as it gets.

Nice try Opus Del et al. You use a board brush, you get a board brush back.
FYI: the discussion is about Brett Kavanaugh and his drunk escapades with his homie Mark Judge. Nice try bringing in unrelated info but that's how the GOP swing.

BTW, has anyone heard about Tiger Mom law prof? She's been recommending potential interns and clerks on how to dress the way Brett likes. She got one of her daughter an internship. This whole thing is weird and creepy.
BearChemist
Another Bear
sp4149 said:

Another Bear said:

oski003 said:

The hard party thing is real at every school, I'm not sure why you are singling out Catholic Schools for this.
Nope it's different. The level might be the same but the psychological underpinnings are different. Catholics have a thing called Mardi Gras and Carnival in Brazil. MAJOR party and it's related to the coming of Lent, i.e., get in all your partying and sins in now before Lent happens. Do any other cutlurals or religions have this built in, let alone public schools?

FYI even San Diego, the most conservative major city in the state, has a Mardi Gras celebration and we are a long way from Brazil. There is a Portuguese minority but they celebrate Holy Ghost festas instead.

There is the Southern Red state, Louisiana, that has major Mardi Gras celebrations all over the state, admittedly the ones in New Orleans are the most famous and well attended. Public schools are closed for Mardi Gras statewide. The state is about one quarter Catholic, one quarter atheist, and the rest non-Catholic Christian, mostly evangelical. I have family in Louisiana, they are not Catholic, but they join in the Mardi Gras celebration traditions which are quite extensive. Society balls sponsored by 'krewes' are major events all through the state.

So I guess the answer to your question is an emphatic 'YES', right here in this here country. And it is everywhere in the state of Louisiana, even public schools.

FWIW I was raised Portuguese Catholic, attending Holy Ghost 'festas', Mardi Gras Carnivals were unknown.
I learned a lot about Mardi Gras after marrying a Louisiana lady, who wasn't Catholic. I've never been to Brasil, but I do know the correct spelling (there are no 'z's in Portuguese). I have partied in Louisiana.
First Mardi Gras (likely called something else like) I experienced was in Baja. Went surfing and it was happening so we hung out. Sort of low key, not as wild as NOLA or Brasil's Carnival (from what I could tell) but the same basic idea; party before Lent. It was all good until the ride home. Friend ended up totaling the car, breaking bones, getting patched up and walking across the border.

Any way, Mardi Gras or the pre-Lent party is a good idea. Blow off some steam before getting down and holy. Frankly it's a tradition that likely keeps the youth engaged instead of simply you're going to hell so start praying.
sp4149
Interesting comparison of the Ford accusation and the Turner/Stanford case.

Similarities

Both expensive private schools

Both allegedly, blind drunk teenage males.

Both groping and fumbling attempts of rapes

No evidence of sexual penetration (aka sperm or pregnancy)

The attacks were stopped by a third party

Major differences:

One victim was extremely intoxicated, the other wasn't.

One attacker was stopped by a best friend who helped him leave, the other attacker was stopped by strangers who restrained him.

One victim had no memory of the assault while the other victim has long term memory of the assault.

Public Outrage

Tremendous public sympathy for the victim who was self-intoxicated, much less sympathy for a 'sober' victim

Victim's memory of the assault at odd with public outrage

One attacker will carry the stigma of 'Registered Sex Offender' for life, the other alleged attacker will be a Supreme Court Justice for life.

One victim with no memory of the attack suffered, "You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my safety, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Turner#cite_note-AutoMQ-35-101][[/url] The sober victim suffered her shame in private for 35 years, and now is subject to public harassment and death threats.

Conclusion? To escape scot-free you need a wingman.
sp4149
Another Bear said:

First Mardi Gras (likely called something else like) I experienced was in Baja. Went surfing and it was happening so we hung out. Sort of low key, not as wild as NOLA or Brasil's Carnival (from what I could tell) but the same basic idea; party before Lent. It was all good until the ride home. Friend ended up totaling the car, breaking bones, getting patched up and walking across the border.

Any way, Mardi Gras or the pre-Lent party is a good idea. Blow off some steam before getting down and holy. Frankly it's a tradition that likely keeps the youth engaged instead of simply you're going to hell so start praying.
The Carnival season starts on Jan. 6, or Twelth Night. It runs until Shrove Tuesday. It's not just a day of partying, in many years it is seven weeks of partying in Louisiana. Southwest Louisiana (now UL @ Lafayette) was known as a party school and the area has over 50 Mardi Gras krewes. If there was a "party" state designation, it would be Louisiana. I've seen nothing close on the West Coast.
Another Bear
True no other locale has that kind of formal party. OTOH, a decent SoCal beach town runs from May to Sept.
bearister
sp4149 said:

Similarities

Major differences:

One attacker was stopped by a best friend who helped him leave, the other attacker was stopped by strangers who restrained him.

One victim had no memory of the assault while the other victim has long term memory of the assault.

Public Outrage

Tremendous public sympathy for the victim who was self-intoxicated, much less sympathy for a 'sober' victim

One attacker will carry the stigma of 'Registered Sex Offender' for life, the other alleged attacker will be a Supreme Court Justice for life.

One victim with no memory of the attack suffered, "You took away my worth, my privacy, my energy, my time, my safety, my intimacy, my confidence, my own voice, until today."[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_v._Turner#cite_note-AutoMQ-35-101][[/url] The sober victim suffered her shame in private for 35 years, and now is subject to public harassment and death threats.

Conclusion: Our Country has gone so tribal that if a guy on your team is a sexual assaulter then at least he is "our sexual assaulter." I would like to think Republicans are more like that than Democrats based on the fact Republicans backed Mushroom Dick, Roy Moore and Prep School Boy while the Democrats ate their own when it came Al Franken.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Another Bear
2018 has seen a record number of women candidates, mostly Democrats. Think there's a connection?
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

sp4149 said:

Similarities

Major differences:

Public Outrage

Conclusion: Our Country has gone so tribal that if a guy on your team is a sexual assaulter then at least he is "our sexual assaulter." I would like to think Republicans are more like that than Democrats based on the fact Republicans backed Mushroom Dick, Roy Moore and Prep School Boy while the Democrats ate their own when it came Al Franken.
let me add another.

Cory Booker, groping and feels up girl that is so drunk, she doesn't remember event.

Expensive private school

Differences:

He says he was not drunk

He acknowledges event and says it changed him

You okay with these distinctions?
mikecohen
ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Proviso: my wife is far more conservative than me, and works in a rather rough and tumble male dominated profession where she holds her own.

I was surprised by her view, but it just reminded me that women don't all think the same. It was basically teens do stupid things in high school, especially after drinking, and they likely have very different perspectives of what happened, both probably wrong. I tried the what if Ford was our daughter question and got the our daughter won't be at that kind of party, drinking and caught in that situation. So I stuck my tail between my leg and came back here.

BTW, I think complaining about an only 2 witness hearing is perfectly valid. Thinking your entitled to have an FBI investigation of your allegation as part of nomination process is not. My wife on the other hand thinks the whole thing is stupid and a waste of time. Then again, she thinks the time spent on BI is a waste of time (suspect a lot of wives would agree with the BI part).

Can you explain why it would be bad to do an fbi investigation first? Because of the delay? Why would delaying be such a big deal? A delay is only a problem for the GOP if Kavanaugh has to withdraw down the road. But if the GOP is that confident Kavanaugh is telling the truth, that should be a non issue.

And why should ford agree to testify under worse circumstances than Anita hill (and Anita hill was still railroaded). Ford has received death threats, has had to move her family, her life is in complete turmoil and she's supposed to testify on Monday? Ask yourself if you would be so anxious to testify in front of the world in this type of situation.

Do you honestly believe that if ford does testify, that the hearing will actually be about finding facts? Cmon, I know you're not that naive. So why wouldn't you want the fbi to actually find facts (or at least attempt to do so)?

And If I'm Kavanaugh, and I know I'm innocent, I would publically call for an fbi investigation so I can have at least some of this cloud lifted before taking the bench

What if there is no investigation and Ford doesn't testify and Kavanaugh overturns roe? I promise you, that's going to be a problem.

1) It won't matter. Thomas got cleared and it didn't seem to matter (the FBI also didn't do a very good job). With a purported crime so long ago, there really isn't much the FBI can do. They can ask Ford a lot of questions she doesn't know the answer to (like where was the house?), Kav's brohs won't likely cooperate, Kav will just provide a general denial, and without someone filling in facts, there is not a lot to go on. Physical evidence presumably will not exist or without cooperation, they may FBI may not even have access to (e.g., if they ever determine where the party house is located, since this is not a criminal investigation, they have no authority to gain access), and the FBI will likely refuse to interview the thousand of character witnesses both sides are gathering. The Democrats will then scream about the scope of the investigation and want another investigation, and the FBI will say they don't have sufficient information to make any determination

2) It will take time. The Hill investigation took 3 days and was rather superficial. They interviewed certain Federal employees and the two principals, mistakenly ignoring those outside the agency who had been the recipients of similar conduct of Thomas. Unlike the Thomas matter, this is about physical crime and those types of investigations take time. Here the FBI will have to try to spend a lot of time trying to hunt down (perhaps in vain) the missing facts Ford doesn't know. And since they are not investigating a prosecutable crime, its not like the can compel people to help in a timely manner. In fact, every Republican just thinks the request is a delaying tactic.

3) It's not what the FBI does, and is not within their jurisdiction. When the FBI conducts a background investigation of a presidential nominee, it gathers information about the nominee, including claims from people interviewed by agents, and dumps it into the file. It does not, however, investigate whether or not derogatory information is true unless it's asked to follow up by the White House under guidelines provided by the President, that this doesn't fit. There is actually a longstanding formal memorandum of understanding between DOJ and the White House that specifies these limits. Ford has no authority to request it. Neither does the Senate.

And the in this case unlike Thomas, there's no suggestion of a federal crime, quite apart from the federal statute of limitations issue, which would mean if there was a crime, there would be no prosecution. The FBI doesn't have the jurisdiction to investigate state crimes or matters, or which are barred from prosecution. If Ford could determine where the event occurred she arguably could request locals to do the work and the FBI could consult (but probably won't - see below). But the FBI has no independent authority to open a criminal investigation. This is not to say, the FBI doesn't have expertise with sex crimes (it does), and it just has no jurisdiction over this matter. Interestingly, if the party house was in Maryland, there is no statute of limitations and Ford could ask Maryland local authorities to investigate.

4) The FBI views this as not a criminal matter, but a political one. Among FBI off the record comments to the media are:

It's totally inappropriate for someone to demand we use law enforcement resources to investigate a 35-year-old allegation when she won't go under oath and can't remember key details including when or where it happened;

We are not a toy to be used to judge the credibility or significance of any allegation.

We don't want to be a Ping-Pong ball slapped back and forth by Senators for political expediency. They have their process, use it.

FBI background checks aren't meant to dig up decades-old claims that never resulted in a police report or criminal charges. That's not really what we do The FBI is looking for any kind of current problem. What do I mean by current 7 to 10 years.

5) Why not a hearing? I think Mark Judge and Patrick Smyth should testify, but I also think that maybe the reason the Committee wants to hear in person from Ford is because she's the one leveling a career-destroying charge of rape against a sitting judge, not because she's a woman and they hate women. No one's claiming that Kav should be allowed to skip the hearing and phone in his denial, are they? I just also think that Ford should be able to have the witnesses she identifies testify. Then again, if Ford is telling the truth, why is she now so anxious about the coming attacks of a group of 11 conservative men (white men, heaven forbid) questioning her over a serious rape allegation, when she had agreed to testify earlier? If you make the allegation and have your attorney spouting it out publicly, own it.

You just went to great detail explaining why the FBI cannot initiate an investigation on its own. Which is a lovely strawman you continue to set up, but its quite irrelevant to the discussion here since no one is implying the FBI should initiate an investigation on its own.

"Its not what the FBI does" - sure. but the president could order them to do so anyways
"the FBI does not view it as a criminal matter" - sure. but the president could order them to do a background check and NOT a criminal investigation.

Ok, so can we all agree to the simple fact that the President has the power to order the FBI to do an investigation? (just like when both sides of the aisle agreed and the president went on to order a FBI investigation in the Anita Hill allegations). We can all agree to this fact, yes?

Great! then my question still stands. If the actual purpose of all of this is to find FACTS, then why would it be bad for the President to order an FBI investigation before the hearing?

Your own answer to that seems to be delay. OK, but why is delay an inherently bad thing?

I'll ask in another way (and humor me for a second while I ask in my best Daniel Kaffee voice from a Few Good Men). If (in your own words) an FBI investigation won't matter. IF they are bound to find nothing and clear Kavanaugh anyways, then why is a delay such a bad thing?

Lets say the FBI investigation takes two weeks (Anita Hill took 3 days) and lets say you're right that it was too long ago, its too hard to find evidence, no one will talk, etc and the FBI finds nothing. Why is losing those two weeks bad? There will be a completed investigation, the Senate can then vote Kavanaugh onto the bench two weeks later, and all is good.

In fact, I would argue that if the GOP is so confident that nothing will come of the FBI investigation, it is CLEARLY in their political interest to push for an FBI investigation. Not only will it lift any cloud hanging over Kavanaugh, but more importantly, come midterms, they can tell their voters 'look we did everything we could, we ordered an FBI investigation, we compiled all the facts, we were sensitive to Dr Ford's wishes, but the FBI investigation did not find any wrongdoing by Justice Kavanaugh" That's clearly a better position than looking like you are actively trying to hide the truth.

If the GOP rams the Kavanaugh confirmation thru without hearing from Dr Ford and without asking for an FBI investigation, they will clearly take some sort of hit during the midterms, we can all agree to this, yes?

So again I ask, why not just ask for the FBI investigation if its going to find nothing anyways? surely a two week delay is worth it to avoid the hit they will take in November right?

Why is the GOP in such a rush? Why does the GOP want the hearing to come down to a "he said, she said?" Why not subpeona witnesses? Why not get testimony from experts? Why not try to get as many facts as possible? WHY?

I'm 'a' repeat what I've said before in answer to your questions:

Delay is bad for the Rs 'cause it could grow past their expiration date if they lose both houses in the mid-terms.

The tradeoff for them is shifting the Supremes pretty far to the right for the foreseeable future.

The cost may not be so bad for them, because it's hard for Ds to keep up enthusiasm to, or certainly beyond, Election Day; and the usual tide of unlimited and secret R money, voter suppression, black box voting tricks, and now Russia plunging in on their side - not to mention short public attention span and easy vulnerability to right-wing spin gives them a big leg up no matter what.
Another Bear
The GOP are rushing this through because that's the only hand they have. There's no other reason yet the GOP can't admit this publicly because then it would be crystal clear they are party before country.

sp4149
Another Bear said:

True no other locale has that kind of formal party. OTOH, a decent SoCal beach town runs from May to Sept.
San Diego has banned booze on beaches. Haven't most other SoCal counties/cities done the same? Aren't beach parties few and far between? In Long Beach we played beach volleyball with coolers of beer almost year round back in the late 70's; a lifetime ago.
ducky23
mikecohen said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Delay is bad for the Rs 'cause it could grow past their expiration date if they lose both houses in the mid-terms.

The tradeoff for them is shifting the Supremes pretty far to the right for the foreseeable future.

The cost may not be so bad for them, because it's hard for Ds to keep up enthusiasm to, or certainly beyond, Election Day; and the usual tide of unlimited and secret R money, voter suppression, black box voting tricks, and now Russia plunging in on their side - not to mention short public attention span and easy vulnerability to right-wing spin gives them a big leg up no matter what.

Cmon man. I know the answer. You know the answer. The whole world knows the real answer. I just want a conservative to honestly admit why they don't want a delay
and why they don't want any real fact finding and why they won't subpoena any other witnesses and why they won't have any other experts testify. It's cool though.

How about this? I'll go first and make it easy.

Do the democrats truly care about dr ford? Eh, I'm sure they all care to different degrees. But the real reason they want all the facts to come out is so they can disqualify Kavanaugh. And if that also happens to vindicate dr ford or push forward the metoo movement, great. But thats clearly secondary.

There. Honesty. Any conservatives willing to admit what the republicans are really trying to do. Anyone? Bueller? We know the answer already anyways. You'll feel better after you just let it out.

bearister
sp4149 said:

Another Bear said:

San Diego has banned booze on beaches. Haven't most other SoCal counties/cities done the same? Aren't beach parties few and far between? In Long Beach we played beach volleyball with coolers of beer almost year round back in the late 70's; a lifetime ago.

Another Bear
ducky23 said:

mikecohen said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Cmon man. I know the answer. You know the answer. The whole world knows the real answer. I just want a conservative to honestly admit why they don't want a delay
and why they don't want any real fact finding and why they won't subpoena any other witnesses and why they won't have any other experts testify. It's cool though.

Do the democrats truly care about dr ford? Eh, I'm sure they all care to different degrees. But the real reason they want all the facts to come out is so they can disqualify Kavanaugh. And if that also happens to vindicate dr ford or push forward the metoo movement, great. But thats clearly secondary.

There. Honesty. Any conservatives willing to admit what the republicans are really trying to do. Anyone? Bueller? We know the answer already anyways. You'll feel better after you just let it out.

Actually DiFi and Rep. Eschoo respected Dr. Ford's request to stay anonymous and that's what made the late reveal. They didn't make it a political football despite the news of a letter was circulating in D.C. among insiders/journalist. But yes, it's about defense, trying to slow down the process to be reasonable, like a real investigation and calling others so it's not simply he said/she said in a confirmation hearing. And yes, conservatives will not say this is political because the general public supports an investigation, and this is related to woman and the GOP are sucking wind on that front.
Another Bear
sp4149 said:

Another Bear said:

Frankly I don't know the answer but I assume you're correct. It was a citation for open container back in the day (80s) but I really don't know now. Any way, there's the actual beach and then there's houses near the beach where the partying mostly kept going. As youths, use to go to quiet beaches at night, like Little Corona, climb on the rocks and drink and smoke pot, do what youths do. Yes, that was a lifetime ago...maybe two.
Another Bear
Looks like the Supreme Court part of the Trump Realtiy TV show just got a bump. Prof. Christine Ford has agreed to testify later in the week. I believe there will be some rules laid out too, so she doesn't get railroaded like Anita Hill (we shall see).

I think this reduces Brett's chances of confirmation. The GOP were banking on a no show and that's not happening. After the public hears her testimony, maybe it will force an investigation.

As a citizen I'm going to write both my senators and request they give Prof. some space to talk and chase down the 11 male GOP senators if/when they ask stupid questions, show misogyny/lack of respect or get aggressive, since both sit on the Senate Judiciary committee. For christ sake, it's 2018 and the questions during the Clarence Thomas hearing to Anita Hill were brutal, loaded and inhumane. Fcck that.

mikecohen
Another Bear said:

ducky23 said:

mikecohen said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

ducky23 said:

wifeisafurd said:

Actually DiFi and Rep. Eschoo respected Dr. Ford's request to stay anonymous and that's what made the late reveal. They didn't make it a political football despite the news of a letter was circulating in D.C. among insiders/journalist. But yes, it's about defense, trying to slow down the process to be reasonable, like a real investigation and calling others so it's not simply he said/she said in a confirmation hearing. And yes, conservatives will not say this is political because the general public supports an investigation, and this is related to woman and the GOP are sucking wind on that front.
One question: Which Dem leaked the contents (?and Dr. Ford's identity also?)? The timing does tell us why; but I think the identity of the leaker will also say much about the current contretemps
mikecohen
Let me try something risque', because I think the morality of this is interesting (putting aside that Kavanaugh is lying because of the thought that he can get away with it, which, in my mind, is unquestionably immoral) - and I think that this applies kind of equally to Thomas and Kavanaugh.

Anyhow, the conundrum is as follows:

(1) From a male point of view, what both of them did was forgivable: In Thomas' case, clueless (and what percentage of men aren't - at least for a meaningful percentage of their sexual lives); in Kavanaugh's case, a passing, (really) drunken episode, without physical harm, abandoned after the initial lunge - for all we know, the time being measured in seconds.

(2) From a female point of view, so truly traumatic, it can (and too often does) create a lifetime of crippled psyche (no kidding) affecting all one's sexual life from then on - carrying with it overtones of major oppression, having others have dominion over your life, real shackles on the freedom of ones emotions, one can think of a lot of bad things - and the younger one is when it happens, the greater such effect it can have.

FWIW: I think those generalizations are perhaps not so overgeneralized; and there's also the admixture of (a) the degree of vulnerability the victim has going into the offense; AND the degree of cruelty and power hunger the offender brings to the act - many sliding scales here.

But, I think, all things considered, if one agrees with the model I outline, the question becomes more where I like it to be: What to do about it.

Well, the current outing of the gross character and extent of the perpetrations in our society AND of the extraordinary effect it can easily have on the victim (even if the actual transgression is far from real crime) is certainly way overdue, and a welcome addition to our culture.

But it does lack the component of a real fix (which, in any case, as in all things cultural, will likely be gradual), past the initial step of calling it out.

So, now that we know that "Boys will be Boys" is too destructive to be tolerated as a cultural norm: How does one address the huge cultural difficulty presented by the terrific natural forces that create that behavior, beyond what the historic cultural controls have been, now that we've know, now for some time, that repression is maybe worse.

In other words, how does one bridge the above-described divide so that the actual understanding of that actually becomes just as natural a part of guys' sets?
Anarchistbear
Kavanaugh is not qualified to be on the Court because he will champion those issues that will further advance and maintain state capitalist control over our lives. Of course the Democrats are not going to say this so we have this farce of a hearing.

There is only one thing that can stop Kavanaugh now and it is this woman. If she is credible he is likely pulled. Of course we may get someone equally worse but roll that dice. It was brave of her to come forward. She doesn't need more time or more investigation. It's a hearing . She only needs to be heard.
bearister
Anarchistbear said:

Kavanaugh is not qualified to be on the Court because he will champion those issues that will further advance and maintain state capitalist control over our lives. Of course the Democrats are not going to say this so we have this farce of a hearing.

There is only one thing that can stop Kavanaugh now and it is this woman. If she is credible he is likely pulled. Of course we may get someone equally worse but roll that dice. It was brave of her to come forward. She doesn't need more time or more investigation. It's a hearing . She only needs to be heard.

Kavanaugh can take Scalia's place as Clarence Thomas' travel buddy on the Koch Brothers' sponsored convention circuit where they talk for pay.
B.A. Bearacus
wifeisafurd
bearister said:

Anarchistbear said:

Kavanaugh can take Scalia's place as Clarence Thomas' travel buddy on the Koch Brothers' sponsored convention circuit where they talk for pay.
Now Bearsiter you should know better. The Justices, unlike say the Clintons, can't accept payments for speeches. They can and do accept money for college teaching positions, and they can accept travel expenses. For example, 6 of the 9 Justices regularly participate in legal conferences in Europe in places like Florence or Costa Brava (I'm sure a lot of legal work gets done). They also can accept money for books they write, though historically the royalties are not material (the books are snoozes).

Click here to view the Supreme Court justices' complete disclosures.

sycasey
wifeisafurd said:

let me add another.

Cory Booker, groping and feels up girl that is so drunk, she doesn't remember event.

Expensive private school

Differences:

He says he was not drunk

He acknowledges event and says it changed him

You okay with these distinctions?
Honestly, yeah. I think if Kavanaugh's response was something like, "Yes, I did some awful things as a teenager. I realize now why that was wrong and would never do it again," he would have much less of a problem here.

But he denies it happened at all. I'm not sure most people are buying that.
sycasey
mikecohen said:

But it does lack the component of a real fix (which, in any case, as in all things cultural, will likely be gradual), past the initial step of calling it out.

So, now that we know that "Boys will be Boys" is too destructive to be tolerated as a cultural norm: How does one address the huge cultural difficulty presented by the terrific natural forces that create that behavior, beyond what the historic cultural controls have been, now that we've know, now for some time, that repression is maybe worse.

In other words, how does one bridge the above-described divide so that the actual understanding of that actually becomes just as natural a part of guys' sets?
I think maybe the thing that's been missing for a lot of these folks is admitting you were wrong and apologizing for it. Legitimately trying to make amends. If you're someone in the public eye, maybe use your platform to talk about why your actions were wrong and what you learned about it.

Be open, be honest. I think that's what's needed here.

There's a lot of other stuff to unpack before that's a widespread thing, though, including:

1. Men being able to let go of their stupid macho pride and admit to being wrong sometimes.

2. American society as a whole to let go of its harsh view of every criminal and embrace the idea of rehabilitation.

3. More people letting go of pure self-interest and recognizing how their words/actions impact society. Lying or keeping quiet about it might help get you out of trouble, but it doesn't help the larger problem. Aren't judges supposed to care about that stuff?
BearChemist
This Ed Whelan guy is giving David Nunes a run for his money.
B.A. Bearacus
BearChemist said:

This Ed Whelan guy is giving David Nunes a run for his money.

Doocy: A fellow by the name of Ed Whelan .. figured out what house it may have happened at ... and looked at a picture of the young man, they look a lot alike

Earhardt: Really?

Henry: So, is it a case of mistaken identity?
okaydo

dajo9
Anarchistbear said:

Your attempt to always blame Democrats is ridiculous to me. If the Democrats say what you say, what will that accomplish? Nothing. Kavanaugh will be quickly voted onto the Supreme Court. It's like you want to blame Democrats for getting punched in the face but maybe you should mention more who is doing the punching.
American Vermin

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.