Crime is Surging in U.S. Cities

49,337 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tracking 30 Investigations Related to Trump - The New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/13/us/politics/trump-investigations.html
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
LMK5
calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

What is your explanation as to why it's happening?
Lack of deterence plain and simple. The current national mood greatly favors the lowlifes and they are keenly aware of it.
This would be a pretty good take if you were referring to Trump. Trump was always a crook who preferred to surround himself with other crooks, so it's no surprise that so many people in his orbit have been taking advantage of his largesse and adding their own grifts to the graft (and grifts) that he and his family are engaged in. It's obvious when you look at the Republican Party apparatus that this has become second nature. For example look at the RNC finance leadership team under Trump: Cohen, Broidy and DeJoy are all crooks. When the senate rubber stamped Trump's impeachment acquittal, it became even more clear to Trump and his fellow hardened criminals that they were untouchable. He's handing out and promising pardons like the drugs from his 80's party days (his own Vietnam!) and it's pretty clear that the criminality is not going to go anywhere with him in office.

I will say that I don't disagree that to some extent this summer has seen a Die Hard 3 situation (see below) particularly early on when the looting was peaking (most memorably all those white surfer dudes stealing from the Santa Monica Patagonia store), but I don't think that I would attribute too high a percentage of the criminality to it. I know a lot of conservatives hate to think in these terms, but you can't always chalk all action up to individuals exercising free will. You often have to understand the circumstances and macro drivers. We are still in the midst of a multi-decade decline in violent crime that Republicans like to ignore when it suits them (which is any time they are unable to take credit for it). There are certainly some hardened criminals, like Trump, just taking advantage of circumstances but I hardly think it's rational to attribute all of the criminality we've seen to that.

If Trump is a crook, he must have been a good one for a long time. He's been around for over 40 years as a high profile New Yorker and real estate magnate. Are the New York and Florida prosecutors that bad that they couldn't hang something on him to at least give him a day in the cooler?

People with money don't get prosecuted. The last financial crash should have demonstrated that.

But Trump messed up and entered high-stakes politics. Now there is a bigger reason to go after him.
Yes it's tough to prosecute the wealthy, no doubt. But Trump hasn't even been pulled into court for anything that I can remember. He's pretty clean as far as politicians go. The Clintons have been involved in quite a bit of scandalous activity over the years, but they're still rock stars in the eyes of the media. The #metoo movement has always been strangely silent when it comes to Mr. Bill also.
What drugs are you on? You must live under a rock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_affairs_of_Donald_Trump

That's typical corporate stuff. If Trump had a record to chew into Hillary Clinton would be president right now. Trump would've been doing nothing but answering for his criminal past during the debates. But it was actually Clinton who had to answer for past misdeeds, hence the name "Crooked Hillary."

Now you can get back to indoctrinating impressionable young adults behind the backs of their tuition-paying parents.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
bearister
LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

Lack of deterence plain and simple. The current national mood greatly favors the lowlifes and they are keenly aware of it.
This would be a pretty good take if you were referring to Trump. Trump was always a crook who preferred to surround himself with other crooks, so it's no surprise that so many people in his orbit have been taking advantage of his largesse and adding their own grifts to the graft (and grifts) that he and his family are engaged in. It's obvious when you look at the Republican Party apparatus that this has become second nature. For example look at the RNC finance leadership team under Trump: Cohen, Broidy and DeJoy are all crooks. When the senate rubber stamped Trump's impeachment acquittal, it became even more clear to Trump and his fellow hardened criminals that they were untouchable. He's handing out and promising pardons like the drugs from his 80's party days (his own Vietnam!) and it's pretty clear that the criminality is not going to go anywhere with him in office.

I will say that I don't disagree that to some extent this summer has seen a Die Hard 3 situation (see below) particularly early on when the looting was peaking (most memorably all those white surfer dudes stealing from the Santa Monica Patagonia store), but I don't think that I would attribute too high a percentage of the criminality to it. I know a lot of conservatives hate to think in these terms, but you can't always chalk all action up to individuals exercising free will. You often have to understand the circumstances and macro drivers. We are still in the midst of a multi-decade decline in violent crime that Republicans like to ignore when it suits them (which is any time they are unable to take credit for it). There are certainly some hardened criminals, like Trump, just taking advantage of circumstances but I hardly think it's rational to attribute all of the criminality we've seen to that.

If Trump is a crook, he must have been a good one for a long time. He's been around for over 40 years as a high profile New Yorker and real estate magnate. Are the New York and Florida prosecutors that bad that they couldn't hang something on him to at least give him a day in the cooler?

People with money don't get prosecuted. The last financial crash should have demonstrated that.

But Trump messed up and entered high-stakes politics. Now there is a bigger reason to go after him.
Yes it's tough to prosecute the wealthy, no doubt. But Trump hasn't even been pulled into court for anything that I can remember. He's pretty clean as far as politicians go. The Clintons have been involved in quite a bit of scandalous activity over the years, but they're still rock stars in the eyes of the media. The #metoo movement has always been strangely silent when it comes to Mr. Bill also.

That's typical corporate stuff. If Trump had a record to chew into Hillary Clinton would be president right now. Trump would've been doing nothing but answering for his criminal past during the debates. But it was actually Clinton who had to answer for past misdeeds, hence the name "Crooked Hillary."

Now you can get back to indoctrinating impressionable young adults behind the backs of their tuition-paying parents.

Well, I am going to post this challenge for the 3rd time. So far, no takers. Perhaps you will respond to it. I will read your research:

" So that I can educate myself can someone please numerically list all the reasons supporting the proposition that Hillary Clinton is a horrible and despicable person. Please provide a link to the information that you base each item on so I can read it.
I am looking forward to finding out how Gen. Stanley McChrystal, Leon Panetta, Robert Reich, and so many others were so wrong to support her.

The people that bash her on this site seem very astute and knowledgeable so I am very much looking forward to the response to my request. Thank you in advance."

From Whitewater to Benghazi: A Primer on Bill and Hillary Clinton Scandals - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/tracking-the-clinton-controversies-from-whitewater-to-benghazi/396182/

Among the Hillary Haters - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/among-the-hillary-haters/384976/

*Now if helltopay1 were responding to the two articles from The Atlantic above:
1. He would not read them;
2. He would attack The Atlantic as a source but not controvert any of the facts in the stories;
3. He would not provide the citations of any articles to support any of his positions;
4. Usually he just disengages from the discussion and starts another thread.
calpoly
LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

Yes, I indoctrinate students in physics something I am sure you are fully versed in.

So how did crooked Hillary come about? Hmmm...it must have been coined by the tRump campaign and Cambridge Analytics to distract the losers and suckers like you to support the real crooked candidate tRump. Just look at all the distasteful name tRump comes up with...it sad that a sucker and loser like you believe everything he says. Explain why, in your word, Hilary is "Crooked"? I will wait for you answer.
calpoly
LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

BTW, Just today: The Justice Department is asking to take over President Donald Trump's defense in a defamation lawsuit from a writer who accused him of rape, and federal lawyers asked a court Tuesday to allow a move that could put the American people on the hook for any money she might be awarded.

This does not sound "corporate" to me! Should we payout a president that committed rape?
LMK5
calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

Yes, I indoctrinate students in physics something I am sure you are fully versed in.

So how did crooked Hillary come about? Hmmm...it must have been coined by the tRump campaign and Cambridge Analytics to distract the losers and suckers like you to support the real crooked candidate tRump. Just look at all the distasteful name tRump comes up with...it sad that a sucker and loser like you believe everything he says. Explain why, in your word, Hilary is "Crooked"? I will wait for you answer.

If you're going to hitch your wagon to the honesty and integrity of the Clintons then there is nothing that can be said. The scandals of the Clintons go way back. I'm not saying they have more or less than Trump or anybody else, but the fact is their pasts are checkered. Just because the media has given them a pass doesn't erase that. Remember Bill's very famous line while being deposed?: "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is', is." People with integrity don't talk like that.
Unit2Sucks
LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

If you're going to hitch your wagon to the honesty and integrity of the Clintons then there is nothing that can be said. The scandals of the Clintons go way back. I'm not saying they have more or less than Trump or anybody else, but the fact is their pasts are checkered. Just because the media has given them a pass doesn't erase that. Remember Bill's very famous line while being deposed?: "It depends on what the meaning of the word 'is', is." People with integrity don't talk like that.

Bless your heart for saying this on the day that Trump's DOJ assumed the defense for Trump's most recent rape case in order to delay having to provide a DNA sample.

Trump's been in legal trouble since at least the early 70's when the US government sued him for housing discrimination. Republican operatives have spent 30 years telling us that the Clintons are crooked but the only thing that stuck was Bill lying about Lewinsky (for which Hillary has no culpability). You are delusional if you think there is any equivalence between the two.

But don't just take my word for it, accept my challenge. You tell us the Clinton scandal and we will tell you a worse Trump scandal. Whoever runs out of scandals first loses.
calpoly
LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

I see you cannot come up with a SINGLE explanation why you call Hillary crocked. You are a parrot for the right wing media and cannot think for yourself.
BearForce2
Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Unit2Sucks said:

LMK5 said:

going4roses said:

Let's play a game - you name "scandalous activity" that the Clintons have been involved in, and someone will mention something worse that Trump has been involved in. I am confident you will run out of Clinton "scandals" long before I run out of Trump's.

Also, come to think of it, Trump's recent quote that "sophisticated friends" tell him he's the most innocent president in history sounds suspiciously like something you would say.

Who's telling the truth, Brown or Bill on behalf of Hillary?
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
Blueblood
I see that no one is teaching BF2 any respect,

poor sap's life is going to be difficult as heck,

he thinks what he's doing is a lot of fun,

I just hope he doesn't meet someone with a loaded gun.

LMK5
I'm not quite sure why it's so important for some here to believe that the Clintons are fine, upstanding, law-abiding people. Why is that so important to you? We all know Trump is a crook and so are the Clintons, but why is it so hurtful for some here to come to those terms? Do you feel some special kinship with them? I know we have many lawyers here, but does anyone have a psychological background that can tell us about this syndrome? Is it similar to cult followers idolizing their leader?
Eastern Oregon Bear
LMK5 said:

I'm not quite sure why it's so important for some here to believe that the Clintons are fine, upstanding, law-abiding people. Why is that so important to you? We all know Trump is a crook and so are the Clintons, but why is it so hurtful for some here to come to those terms? Do you feel some special kinship with them? I know we have many lawyers here, but does anyone have a psychological background that can tell us about this syndrome? Is it similar to cult followers idolizing their leader?
You're the one who keeps bringing up the "lawless" Clintons. Why is it so important to you? They aren't running for office anymore. Their day is done.
calpoly
Eastern Oregon Bear said:

LMK5 said:

You're the one who keeps bringing up the "lawless" Clintons. Why is it so important to you? They aren't running for office anymore. Their day is done.
The alt right always has to have a bogeyman.
JeffBear07
LMK5 said:

It's actually kinda cute watching you bring your naivete (to put it generously) and lack of self-awareness to this board now that you have a kid who attends Cal. It's almost like having a kid in Berkeley gave you the courage to leave your conservative bubble in Arizona or wherever you're actually from, and now you just go about flailing with your incessant parroting of right-wing talking points but can't figure out why people are calling you out on the utter lack of logic or basis behind almost everything you say here.

"I'm not quite sure why it's so important for some here to believe that the Clintons are fine, upstanding law-abiding people."
As Eastern Oregon Bear already noted, you are the one who keeps running with the whataboutism on the Clintons when the topic is Trump's own morally deficient if not outright criminal behavior. How about "I'm not quite sure why it's so important for LMK5 to believe that Trump is a terrible human being who shouldn't be anywhere near any levers of power?"

"We all know Trump is a crook..."
This... is not at all what you were suggesting when you laughably (couldn't think of a stronger word) claimed that no one has ever dragged Trump into court. And if you know Trump is a crook, why are you so frequently eager to go out of your way to toe the Trump party line? What does that say about you?

"... and so are the Clintons..."
Because Fox News told you so? Because your conservative bubble brethren have repeated as such ad nauseum for nearly 30 years? While I would concede that their political records aren't perfect, please do tell, what warts do either of the Clintons have that are especially unique to them and has actually been borne out in verifiable fact?

"Do you feel some special kinship with them?"
Personally, no I don't, because their lived lives are nothing like mine, but you'd be hard-pressed to find anyone here who goes out of their way to defend any of their moral shortcomings the way you and your brethren do with Trump.

"I know we have many lawyers here, but does anyone have a psychological background that can tell us about this syndrome?"
While you would never admit it, something tells me that you are intimidated to have an actual intellectual fact-based discussion and are simply hoping that someone else can come in and back you up on points that you clearly don't have the ability to back up yourself.

"Is it similar to cult followers idolizing their leader?"
Well that's rich coming from someone who would very obviously do whatever he could to keep in power someone whose own following is the biggest mass cult anyone has ever seen in American history.

going4roses
Why couldn't we have just nominated and voted in(yes yes electoral college) John Kasich ?

A regular ole Republican not what we got now ****
sycasey
going4roses said:

Why couldn't we have just nominated and voted in(yes yes electoral college) John Kasich ?

A regular ole Republican not what we got now ****

Kasich does not represent the average Republican voter anymore. Trump does.
going4roses
True.
BearForce2
JeffBear07 said:

LMK5 said:

Because Fox News told you so? Because your conservative bubble brethren have repeated as such ad nauseum for nearly 30 years? While I would concede that their political records aren't perfect, please do tell, what warts do either of the Clintons have that are especially unique to them and has actually been borne out in verifiable fact?

Thanks for the good laugh, you woke me up this morning.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
AunBear89
Please provide details and facts. Not emotions. Not feelings. Not spittle flecked hatred. Facts.
Blueblood
BearForce2 said:

JeffBear07 said:

For gosh sakes, BF2 displays a little humor,

You don't think he has a cerebral tumor,

Hey, give BF2 the best care money can buy,

God I'd love to slug him in the eye!

blungld
calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

But Trump hasn't even been pulled into court for anything that I can remember. He's pretty clean as far as politicians go.

Do you think it is at all possible that you he has a highly selective memory? Pretty tough to not know that Trump is one of the most litigious Americans: "Donald Trump and his businesses have been involved in 3,500 legal cases in U.S. federal courts and state court, an unprecedented number for a U.S. presidential candidate."

But he will just keep saying things whether they are true or not. What do you think the chances are we get a response like this: "Boy, I stand corrected. I was way off. That changes how I see Trump."
JeffBear07
BearForce2 said:

JeffBear07 said:

LMK5 said:

You're a joke of a poster whom I normally have on ignore because of all the tasteless BS you vomit out, but since I saw this through Blueblood's quoting, I'll go ahead and humor you further since you're probably also pretty representative of the blind bloviating about the Clintons that against all odds has somehow persisted for the better part of 30 years.

https://www.npr.org/2016/06/12/481718785/clinton-scandals-a-guide-from-whitewater-to-the-clinton-foundation

If you know a better summary of all of the Clintons' supposed scandals, feel free to share. Other than the Lewinsky affair, what do you feel puts the Clintons way beyond the pale of even the worst modern-day U.S. national politicians? What, in your opinion, could have caused so many non-partisan and even adversarial investigations to fail to turn up anything incriminating, much less indictable? And bringing this back to the topic of this very thread that you yourself started, how does any of the Clintons' perceived bad behavior absolve Trump of his statements and actions, which are immoral at best and criminal at worst?

I fully expect that you'll either feign a big guffaw or reply with some idiotic meme, so I'll just let you play with that and put you back on ignore now.
JeffBear07
blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

But Trump hasn't even been pulled into court for anything that I can remember. He's pretty clean as far as politicians go.

Do you think it is at all possible that you he has a highly selective memory? Pretty tough to not know that Trump is one of the most litigious Americans: "Donald Trump and his businesses have been involved in 3,500 legal cases in U.S. federal courts and state court, an unprecedented number for a U.S. presidential candidate."

But he will just keep saying things whether they are true or not. What do you think the chances are we get a response like this: "Boy, I stand corrected. I was way off. That changes how I see Trump."
Based on past history, chances are 100% that his response will be like "Boy, I stand corrected. I was way off."
bearister
From Whitewater to Benghazi: A Primer on Bill and Hillary Clinton Scandals - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/tracking-the-clinton-controversies-from-whitewater-to-benghazi/396182/

Among the Hillary Haters - The Atlantic

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/among-the-hillary-haters/384976/
LMK5
blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

Because I am a conservative and not a Democrat doesn't mean I'm a Trump supporter. I'm not a member of any party and did not vote for Trump in 2016. I do favor Republican policies over Democrat ones in most cases.
BearForce2
JeffBear07 said:

BearForce2 said:

JeffBear07 said:

LMK5 said:

You're a joke of a poster whom I normally have on ignore because of all the tasteless BS you vomit out, but since I saw this through Blueblood's quoting, I'll go ahead and humor you further since you're probably also pretty representative of the blind bloviating about the Clintons that against all odds has somehow persisted for the better part of 30 years.

https://www.npr.org/2016/06/12/481718785/clinton-scandals-a-guide-from-whitewater-to-the-clinton-foundation

If you know a better summary of all of the Clintons' supposed scandals, feel free to share. Other than the Lewinsky affair, what do you feel puts the Clintons way beyond the pale of even the worst modern-day U.S. national politicians? What, in your opinion, could have caused so many non-partisan and even adversarial investigations to fail to turn up anything incriminating, much less indictable? And bringing this back to the topic of this very thread that you yourself started, how does any of the Clintons' perceived bad behavior absolve Trump of his statements and actions, which are immoral at best and criminal at worst?

I fully expect that you'll either feign a big guffaw or reply with some idiotic meme, so I'll just let you play with that and put you back on ignore now.

That npr website is trash, it's like the Japanese school textbook version on Japan's role in WW2.
Try this first, there's more.

calpoly
LMK5 said:

blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

Because I am a conservative and not a Democrat doesn't mean I'm a Trump supporter. I'm not a member of any party and did not vote for Trump in 2016. I do favor Republican policies over Democrat ones in most cases.
I am sure you said the same thing about gw bush but you voted for hime twice as well.
Krugman Is A Moron
calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

I am sure you said the same thing about gw bush but you voted for hime twice as well.
LMK is the type of Republican that likes to pretend he's independent, but keeps voting for the same people over and over
"Yogi is right" - Oaktown Bear
BearForce2
Matthew Patel said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

LMK is the type of Republican that likes to pretend he's independent, but keeps voting for the same people over and over
Same people? Oh, you're referring to those typical guys who've never held political office before and then become president of the U.S. after switching parties.

LMK5
calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

Never said anything about Bush but did vote for him twice.
blungld
LMK5 said:

blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

That's not really the point. You said that Trump was pretty clean, and that does not align in any way with the facts. So, do you stand corrected?
LMK5
blungld said:

LMK5 said:

blungld said:

calpoly said:

LMK5 said:

That's not really the point. You said that Trump was pretty clean, and that does not align in any way with the facts. So, do you stand corrected?
Here's what I said: "We all know Trump is a crook". I also said "He's pretty clean as far as politicians go." However, I didn't do a thorough analysis of all politicians. If Trump is in the top half of crookedness for politicians, then yes, I stand corrected.
blungld
LMK5 said:

blungld said:

Here's what I said: "We all know Trump is a crook". I also said "He's pretty clean as far as politicians go." However, I didn't do a thorough analysis of all politicians. If Trump is in the top half of crookedness for politicians, then yes, I stand corrected.
Still pretty weak sauce (top half? really? like how about top 1%), but I'll take it. Much better response than others on the board, so thanks.
BearForce2

2 Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies shot in head in Compton.
BearForce2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.