Crime is Surging in U.S. Cities

49,026 Views | 569 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
sycasey
How long do you want to ignore this user?
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

I assume some of you live in or around Oakland. When you see rioters in downtown trying to burn down the federal courthouse, damage stores that you may frequent, vandalize the police station, and spray graffiti all over buildings, what do you feel inside? If you are sympathetic to the vandals in Portland and Seattle, do the same events much closer to home cause you to re-examine your stance?
I think those who try to set fires to buildings or smash windows should be arrested. That kind of behavior should not be supported.

I do not think this is anywhere near a majority of the protesters or the primary focus of the protests.

It's also not like this is happening all over the city. Well, maybe in the very early weeks of the Floyd protests you did see smashed windows in a lot of different neighborhoods. But as of now the fire at the courthouse is the only major incident of its type that has happened in about a month. From friends of mine who live in Portland I hear similar things: the protests and damage are limited to a few blocks downtown. I know some right-wing news outlets like to paint a picture of "American cities burning down" but it's not the case.
I basically agree. Yes, the center-right media will play up the unrest but at the same time the left wing media plays it down. I don't think the rioters are protesting anything at all from the images and footage I've seen. It appears to have taken the shape of illicit sport, where the participants have been emboldened by the lack of universal scorn and the comfort in knowing prosecution is highly unlikely. They've got a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to act out in ways they could only dream about and they aren't going to let it pass.

I'm asking about reactions because if I lived there I would be very angry and would support any local effort that called the mayor and local leadership to account.
I guess I'm not sure why I should be angry? The effects of the initial protests calmed down after a week or two, and unless you live right near the county courthouse (hint: almost no one does) then almost any Oakland resident could easily go about their normal lives without being affected. There have also been plenty of peaceful marches in the last two months that resulted in nothing except some occasional heavy traffic. But you would actually have to live here to know that and not just follow the scariest-looking news reports.

From the reports I've seen it looks like there is usually a legitimate protest going on (perhaps for BLM or some similar cause) and then some other group breaks off and starts smashing stuff. Again, I support arresting people who do that -- WHEN they do it, not before. Yes, I suspect many of these people are just opportunists latching on to a moment when authorities may be distracted.
There's messaging in their actions. Why the federal courthouses? I don't see a connection between that and police brutality. It appears that the great majority of the thugs are white. I'd love to know more about the demographics: Locals? Wealthy kids with too much time on their hands? Substance abusers? Are some being paid?
I'd love to know who the vandals are too, but obviously that's hard when they're in a crowd at night and probably wearing masks. Again, though, if they can be identified they should be prosecuted.
How much force would you be willing to accept to arrest and prosecute those vandals?
I'm not sure how to answer that. Whatever is reasonably proportionate to the crime.
Well, I think with the vandals high disregard for law and order, anything short of force you will most likely be uncomfortable with, they have free reign to wreak whatever havoc they want.
I guess I'll put it this way: if I see video of some cops running down and tackling some guys who just set fire to a building, I won't object to that. I'm not sure they need to be shot in the head. So, you know, proportionate force.
I think it's tough because I am still seeing cops struggling to find the right balance. By the way, would you be OK with shooting someone with molotov cocktail trying to set a building on fire if a family with little kids had died earlier in a fire started by "vandals"? Even in the calm of hindsight, it is hard for me to decide what is appropriate force. Must be hard for cops in the middle of that chaos with adrenalin flowing.
Sure, that's also why it's hard for me to answer a question in the abstract like, "How much force would you accept?" There are a lot of different potential situations, so I guess it depends?
Big C
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

I assume some of you live in or around Oakland. When you see rioters in downtown trying to burn down the federal courthouse, damage stores that you may frequent, vandalize the police station, and spray graffiti all over buildings, what do you feel inside? If you are sympathetic to the vandals in Portland and Seattle, do the same events much closer to home cause you to re-examine your stance?
I think those who try to set fires to buildings or smash windows should be arrested. That kind of behavior should not be supported.

I do not think this is anywhere near a majority of the protesters or the primary focus of the protests.

It's also not like this is happening all over the city. Well, maybe in the very early weeks of the Floyd protests you did see smashed windows in a lot of different neighborhoods. But as of now the fire at the courthouse is the only major incident of its type that has happened in about a month. From friends of mine who live in Portland I hear similar things: the protests and damage are limited to a few blocks downtown. I know some right-wing news outlets like to paint a picture of "American cities burning down" but it's not the case.
I basically agree. Yes, the center-right media will play up the unrest but at the same time the left wing media plays it down. I don't think the rioters are protesting anything at all from the images and footage I've seen. It appears to have taken the shape of illicit sport, where the participants have been emboldened by the lack of universal scorn and the comfort in knowing prosecution is highly unlikely. They've got a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to act out in ways they could only dream about and they aren't going to let it pass.

I'm asking about reactions because if I lived there I would be very angry and would support any local effort that called the mayor and local leadership to account.
I guess I'm not sure why I should be angry? The effects of the initial protests calmed down after a week or two, and unless you live right near the county courthouse (hint: almost no one does) then almost any Oakland resident could easily go about their normal lives without being affected. There have also been plenty of peaceful marches in the last two months that resulted in nothing except some occasional heavy traffic. But you would actually have to live here to know that and not just follow the scariest-looking news reports.

From the reports I've seen it looks like there is usually a legitimate protest going on (perhaps for BLM or some similar cause) and then some other group breaks off and starts smashing stuff. Again, I support arresting people who do that -- WHEN they do it, not before. Yes, I suspect many of these people are just opportunists latching on to a moment when authorities may be distracted.
There's messaging in their actions. Why the federal courthouses? I don't see a connection between that and police brutality. It appears that the great majority of the thugs are white. I'd love to know more about the demographics: Locals? Wealthy kids with too much time on their hands? Substance abusers? Are some being paid?

I'm assuming that these individuals are similar to the ones who were trashing things during the "occupy" movement: Bored younger white males looking for an adrenaline rush, under the cloak of being anarchists or anti-fascist.

They actually come close to having some sort of ideology when they gravitate towards federal buildings (anti-Trump troops), but I suspect it's where they think they might be able to stir up the most trouble, rather than a serious protest.

They should arrest them and put their names and photos in the media (including social media) and then make them pay restitution for the damage they've caused.
Unit2Sucks
The flu kills more people in an average year than protests, so shouldn't we focus on eliminating the flu first? Or did I misunderstand the arguments from this spring?

There is a lot of civil unrest right now as a result of a confluence of reasons, including COVID and police brutality against black people. Setting aside the disastrous public health impacts, COVID has been devastating on our economy and socially for people. Upper middle class privileged people on here ***** and moan about not being able to get their hair cut or eat out at restaurants, so imagine how it feels to people who've lost their livelihoods, homes, healthcare, etc.

When you connect the dots between all of these bad things happening and the many well-documented failures of the Trump administration, I get why there is unrest. I don't condone or excuse the violence against the government, whether from anarchists, 'protesters' or other citizens, but it's didn't arise out of thin air.

I would say if the federal government really wanted to do something about violent protests and surging crime in the country, they should listen to Melania and "Be Best." The federal government has let our country down. Sending federal security forces to Portland only added fuel to the fire and certainly has not de-escalated the situation.

Let's be honest about why threads like this were started - people want to distract from the pandemic and Trump's disastrous response to it. Tucker Carlson hypes up his outrage machine and his followers go forth unto the world to spread his gospel. 150k+ Americans are dead from COVID and thousands more die every week. COVID is still the biggest crisis facing our country. We should not be complicit in allowing Trump and his dissemblers to reframe the country's problems while alllowing them to standby and ignore the one that still matters most. Conservatives who focus on statues and the relatively small amount of civic violence (especially compared to the 5k+ per week still dying from COVID) are just carrying water for Trump and allowing him to continue to disappoint our country.
calbear93
Unit2Sucks said:

The flu kills more people in an average year than protests, so shouldn't we focus on eliminating the flu first? Or did I misunderstand the arguments from this spring?

There is a lot of civil unrest right now as a result of a confluence of reasons, including COVID and police brutality against black people. Setting aside the disastrous public health impacts, COVID has been devastating on our economy and socially for people. Upper middle class privileged people on here ***** and moan about not being able to get their hair cut or eat out at restaurants, so imagine how it feels to people who've lost their livelihoods, homes, healthcare, etc.

When you connect the dots between all of these bad things happening and the many well-documented failures of the Trump administration, I get why there is unrest. I don't condone or excuse the violence against the government, whether from anarchists, 'protesters' or other citizens, but it's didn't arise out of thin air.

I would say if the federal government really wanted to do something about violent protests and surging crime in the country, they should listen to Melania and "Be Best." The federal government has let our country down. Sending federal security forces to Portland only added fuel to the fire and certainly has not de-escalated the situation.

Let's be honest about why threads like this were started - people want to distract from the pandemic and Trump's disastrous response to it. Tucker Carlson hypes up his outrage machine and his followers go forth unto the world to spread his gospel. 150k+ Americans are dead from COVID and thousands more die every week. COVID is still the biggest crisis facing our country. We should not be complicit in allowing Trump and his dissemblers to reframe the country's problems while alllowing them to standby and ignore the one that still matters most. Conservatives who focus on statues and the relatively small amount of civic violence (especially compared to the 5k+ per week still dying from COVID) are just carrying water for Trump and allowing him to continue to disappoint our country.
We can multi-task. We can focus on doing some common sense things for COVID-19 and the impact of SIP on the poor and minorities while also caring about rioting and arson (not really minor). We can care about COVID-19 and still care about stopping rape and sexual harassment. We can care about COVID-19 and still care about police brutality.

And I would be careful not to associate SIP with protests. These types of rioting and violence from extremist from both sides were pre-COVID-19. You would think that COVID-19 would slow these things down for the reasons you stated, but they are still going strong.

I am also focusing on these rioting while despising Trump. Hating these idiots rioting do not have to go hand in hand with supporting Trump.
calbear93
Big C said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

I'm assuming that these individuals are similar to the ones who were trashing things during the "occupy" movement: Bored younger white males looking for an adrenaline rush, under the cloak of being anarchists or anti-fascist.

They actually come close to having some sort of ideology when they gravitate towards federal buildings (anti-Trump troops), but I suspect it's where they think they might be able to stir up the most trouble, rather than a serious protest.

They should arrest them and put their names and photos in the media (including social media) and then make them pay restitution for the damage they've caused.
I could not agree more.
sycasey
Unit2Sucks said:

I think this is almost certainly true in Portland and probably a contributor to increased violence in other places like Oakland too, though I can't prove it for sure. Trump's response only escalates the situation and does not help stop the violence.
BearForce2
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I think this is almost certainly true in Portland and probably a contributor to increased violence in other places like Oakland too, though I can't prove it for sure. Trump's response only escalates the situation and does not help stop the violence.

What violence? Democrats pretend it doesn't exist. Peaceful protests, peaceful fires and silence from Biden and Pelosi.
Anarchistbear
The question is why are you so paranoid as to send federal troops to protect your property against hundreds of people whose aim is to overthrow the government when all you have done is empowered this tiny fringe group to stay in front of that building

But If you are dumb enough to believe this:

David L. Bowdich, the F.B.I.'s No. 2, declared the situation "a national crisis," and wrote that in addition to investigating "violent protesters, instigators" and "inciters," bureau leaders should collect information with "robust social media exploitation teams" and examine what appeared to be "highly organized behavior."

Then what they are doing is self- explanatory- pretty much the same thing that has always been done.
Golden One
Unit2Sucks said:

To use your logic, the flu kills a helluva lot more Americans each year than do the cops. So, why are we focusing on cops and alleged police brutality? Shouldn't we focus on eliminating the flu first and leave the cops alone? For that matter, in the city of Chicago, blacks kill more blacks each year than cops kill in the whole U.S. So, shouldn't we focus on reducing crime in Chicago, rather than focusing on cops? What am I missing?

Liberalism is a mental illness.
Golden One
BearForce2 said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

What violence? Democrats pretend it doesn't exist. Peaceful protests, peaceful fires and silence from Biden and Pelosi.
Yeah, and the assaulting of cops and federal agents has been peaceful also. These are some of the most peaceful rioters and anarchists that I've ever seen. I expect them to start throwing out flowers soon.

Golden One
sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

What federal security forces are in Oakland? I wasn't aware of that.

sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

People in Oakland can read the news and know what is happening in Portland and that Trump has also threatened to send his forces here.

Again, I do not like that this is some people's response to that threat but I suspect it is.
Golden One
Big C said:

LMK5 said:

I agree. And keeping them in jail for a few days wouldn't hurt either.

Golden One
sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

People in Oakland can read the news and know what is happening in Portland and that Trump has also threatened to send his forces here.

Again, I do not like that this is some people's response to that threat but I suspect it is.
I don't like it either. I suspect that these thugs will use any excuse to justify their acts of violence, arson, injury, and vandalism. There is absolutely no way their actions can be condoned by reasonable people, regardless of one's political affiliation. I'm disappointed that Democrat leadership isn't condemning them.

sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

I don't like it either. I suspect that these thugs will use any excuse to justify their acts of violence, arson, injury, and vandalism. There is absolutely no way their actions can be condoned by reasonable people, regardless of one's political affiliation. I'm disappointed that Democrat leadership isn't condemning them.
The Mayor of Oakland (Democrat) did condemn it. Beyond that I'm not sure why any other national figure is required to.
Golden One
sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Unit2Sucks said:

The Mayor of Oakland (Democrat) did condemn it. Beyond that I'm not sure why any other national figure is required to.
I'm not talking about just Oakland, I'm referring to the violence being carried out by thugs and anarchists in many cities in the U.S. The leadership of the Democrat party have been eerily silent. In fact, the ones who have spoken have praised the "demonstrators"; they refuse to admit that what we're seeing in Portland, Seattle, and other cities is outright unlawful destruction and violence carried out by thugs.

bearister

" The leadership of the Democrat party have been eerily silent." Except when it is not silent:

Biden: violent protesters should be 'arrested and tried'

https://nypost.com/2020/07/28/biden-violent-protesters-should-be-arrested-and-tried/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/07/28/biden-violent-protesters-should-be-arrested-and-tried/amp/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
sycasey
bearister said:

" The leadership of the Democrat party have been eerily silent." Except when it is not silent:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/28/biden-violent-protesters-should-be-arrested-and-tried/
https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2020/07/28/biden-violent-protesters-should-be-arrested-and-tried/amp/

LOL. Rarely has reality so quickly clashed with the right-wing narrative.
Golden One
sycasey said:

bearister said:

How about Pelosi, Schumer, Feinstein, Harris, and the Congresspersons and Senators from Washington, Oregon, etc. Biden finally came around today, about 2 months late. But I guess prior to today he wasn't aware of all the violence perpetrated by "protesters" in Portland and Seattle, etc. Apparently his basement has no TV. The truth is the truth, whether it is being stated by conservatives or others.

sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

How about Pelosi, Schumer, Feinstein, Harris, and the Congresspersons and Senators from Washington, Oregon, etc. Biden finally came around today, about 2 months late. But I guess prior to today he wasn't aware of all the violence perpetrated by "protesters" in Portland and Seattle, etc. Apparently his basement has no TV. The truth is the truth, whether it is being stated by conservatives or others.
Yes, I'm sure that if and when all of those people speak out against violence you will find someone else who didn't. I'm done with this partisan tit-for-tat. If you want to discuss what we should actually do about actual problems I am happy to participate.
Golden One
sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Yes, I'm sure that if and when all of those people speak out against violence you will find someone else who didn't. I'm done with this partisan tit-for-tat. If you want to discuss what we should actually do about actual problems I am happy to participate.
What we should actually do is obvious. We should be more aggressive against the violent anarchists, arsonists, looters, and vandals. They should all be arrested, placed in jail, and prosecuted. They should not be described as "peaceful" demonstrators and defended and supported, as is being done by the leading Democrats. If you saw the Barr "hearing" today, you can understand what I'm saying.

sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

What we should actually do is obvious. We should be more aggressive against the violent anarchists, arsonists, looters, and vandals. They should all be arrested, placed in jail, and prosecuted. They should not be described as "peaceful" demonstrators and defended and supported, as is being done by the leading Democrats. If you saw the Barr "hearing" today, you can understand what I'm saying.

Okay, but when you talk about peaceful protesters and arsonists/looters/vandals you know you are talking about different people, right? I'm fine with arresting the latter. The problem is when it happens to the former.
AunBear89
No - they're all the same to GoldenOnenote. He hates every last one of them. Remember: liberalism is a mental illness and all sufferers should be euthanized. Or incarcerated. Just as long as he doesn't have to look at them on endless loop on Fox.
BearNIt
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

This is why you need to be careful in characterizing all protestors as violent. Apparently not all protestors are alike and some even belong to white supremacist prison gangs which are seeking to take advantage of the situation during these protest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minneapolis-police-identify-umbrella-man-who-helped-incite-george-floyd-riots-warrant-says/ar-BB17iOvO
Krugman Is A Moron
calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

I'd love to know who the vandals are too, but obviously that's hard when they're in a crowd at night and probably wearing masks. Again, though, if they can be identified they should be prosecuted.
How much force would you be willing to accept to arrest and prosecute those vandals?
Plenty of non-lethal ways to subdue someone. How about one of those?
AunBear89
BearNIt said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

This is why you need to be careful in characterizing all protestors as violent. Apparently not all protestors are alike and some even belong to white supremacist prison gangs which are seeking to take advantage of the situation during these protest.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/minneapolis-police-identify-umbrella-man-who-helped-incite-george-floyd-riots-warrant-says/ar-BB17iOvO

I'm sure GoldenOnenote is fine with that. Anything that makes Libs look bad, amirite, Onenote?
BearNIt
AunBear89 said:

BearNIt said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

I'm sure GoldenOnenote is fine with that. Anything that makes Libs look bad, amirite, Onenote?
It's not the first time that we have seen people from white supremacist groups and other groups place themselves at the site of a protest with ulterior motives and engage in violence that is then blamed on peaceful protestors.
Krugman Is A Moron
sycasey said:

bearister said:

It IS the right-wing narrative
calbear93
Matthew Patel said:

calbear93 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

Plenty of non-lethal ways to subdue someone. How about one of those?
Who said anything about lethal? I am fine with non-lethal manner, but it will require force to subdue rioters who are disregarding police force in creating mayhem. Whether they are left or right, use force (non-lethal unless they put the police officers' lives in serious jeopardy).
Golden One
sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Okay, but when you talk about peaceful protesters and arsonists/looters/vandals you know you are talking about different people, right? I'm fine with arresting the latter. The problem is when it happens to the former.
Nothing that I've seen in many videos I've watched indicates that "peaceful" protesters have been abused by police or federal agents. I do appreciate that the peaceful protesters are generally (but not always) different from the arsonists/looters/vandals/terrorists. After the rioting starts, sometimes the "peaceful" protesters join the foray.

calbear93
BearNIt said:

AunBear89 said:

BearNIt said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

It's not the first time that we have seen people from white supremacist groups and other groups place themselves at the site of a protest with ulterior motives and engage in violence that is then blamed on peaceful protestors.
Well, then, there should be even more reason to crack down on the rioters, right?
sycasey
Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Nothing that I've seen in many videos I've watched indicates that "peaceful" protesters have been abused by police or federal agents.

Then you haven't been looking very hard.
BearForce2
BearNIt said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Right, not all protesters are alike, some prefer to hang out and watch others be violent while they bask in their self-proclaimed innocence. Merry band of idiots all of them at this point.
BearNIt
BearForce2 said:

BearNIt said:

Golden One said:

sycasey said:

bearister said:

Right, not all protesters are alike, some prefer to hang out and watch others be violent while they bask in their self-proclaimed innocence. Merry band of idiots all of them at this point.
The 1st amendment says that peaceful protestors have a right to protest. Think of them as American colonists in 2020 only less violent. I'm sure the Crown said the same thing about those violent thuglike protestors when they took up arms against the British. I wonder what people called the civil rights protestors who wanted equal treatment under the law and an end top Jim Crow, did they call them violent, thuglike, or worse?
Anarchistbear
Civil rights protestors were outdide agitators and communists- it was actually a not too veiled insult of blacks; these dumb rubes could never have pulled this off by themselves.

Outside agitators is making a comeback because Americans couldn't possibly be upset on their own and have to be manipulated by others. Russians and Chinese will trend as we get nearer the election- firing up our innocents to do things they would never dream.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.