Andrew Cuomo nominated for Time's Man of the Year

10,994 Views | 142 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BearForce2
BearForce2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo accused by third woman of unwanted sexual advances.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/third-woman-accuses-cuomo

Donald Trump sexual misconduct allegations - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_sexual_misconduct_allegations

Cuomo should make them impeach him. Don't be a p@ussy like Al Franken and resign.

What did Franken do, anyways?
That picture of him putting his hands on a woman's boobs as she slept, as a joke? That's it?
Yeah, what's the big deal? He didn't even squeeze LOL.

Franken didn't, apparently Cuomo did.
The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
okaydo
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

The lefty folks I knew in New York definitely did not have a high opinion of Cuomo prior to the pandemic.
But the press surely did. Now that Trump and Co. has departed the scene, they've lost that treasure trove of meat into which they can sink their teeth. The solution? Eat your own.

You're so ******* wrong. The reason we know Cuomo is a piece of sh*t is because of the print media's reporting over the past decade on his ethical and corruption lapses. The print media has been on him. Unfortunately, his corruption isn't digestible and intriguing for TV media.

Read my posts above.

Hell, I could give you more examples.

New York Times, 2018:

New York Times, 2014 (one of the reporters below was lead in exposing Trump's taxes):

New York Times, 2013:

New York Times, 2012:

okaydo

LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

The lefty folks I knew in New York definitely did not have a high opinion of Cuomo prior to the pandemic.
But the press surely did.
You should probably read okaydo's posts above.
The question is: Would these allegations have come to light 90 days ago? Not a chance. He was a national rock star being touted as a possible POTUS candidate, even while his nursing home fiasco was already known.
The truth lies somewhere between CNN and Fox.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

The question is: Would these allegations have come to light 90 days ago?

Not sure that's provable one way or the other.
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

But we can make a pretty good guess, right?
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

But we can make a pretty good guess, right?
I'm pretty sure that guess would only be based on your prior assumptions, so no.
BearForce2
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/03/01/cuomo-accuser-hires-christine-blasey-ford-lawyer-ahead-of-sexual-harassment-investigation/?sh=56c69bdd8603

Cuomo Accuser Hires Christine Blasey Ford Lawyer Ahead Of Sexual Harassment Investigation

The difference between a right wing conspiracy and the truth is about 20 months.
concordtom
bearister said:

concordtom said:

bearister said:

BearForce2 said:

NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo accused by third woman of unwanted sexual advances.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/third-woman-accuses-cuomo

Donald Trump sexual misconduct allegations - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Trump_sexual_misconduct_allegations

Cuomo should make them impeach him. Don't be a p@ussy like Al Franken and resign.

What did Franken do, anyways?
That picture of him putting his hands on a woman's boobs as she slept, as a joke? That's it?

" On November 16, 2017, talk-radio host Leeann Tweeden alleged in a blog post and an interview with her radio station, 790 KABC, that Franken forcibly kissed her on a 2006 USO tour during a rehearsal for a skit. She wrote, "I said 'OK' so he would stop badgering me. We did the line leading up to the kiss and then he came at me, put his hand on the back of my head, mashed his lips against mine and aggressively stuck his tongue in my mouth."[117] She said she pushed him away, feeling "disgusted and violated".[117] Longtime Donald Trump associate Roger Stone circulated news of the allegations to right-wing media.[118]

During the 2006 tour, Franken was photographed holding his hands above Tweeden's breasts while she was asleep wearing body armor and a helmet.[119] In Franken's defense, CNBC's John Harwood said, "That pic was obviously a joke, not groping, just like LeeAnn Tweeden wrapping her leg around Robin Williams and smacking his butt; entertainment for soldiers deployed overseas is raunchy like that."[120][121] Harwood was referring to video taken of Tweeden "humping" the married Williams on a similar 2004 USO tour.[122]

In response, Franken said, "I certainly don't remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way, but I send my sincerest apologies to Leeann ... As to the photo, it was clearly intended to be funny but wasn't. I shouldn't have done it."[123] A few hours later, Franken issued a longer apology,[124] which Tweeden accepted.[125]

In the days that followed, seven additional women came forward with allegations of inappropriate behavior during photo ops. Lindsay Menz accused Franken of touching her clothed buttocks while they posed for a photo at the Minnesota State Fair in 2010.[126][127] Two anonymous women made similar complaints related to events during political events.[128] Franken apologized, saying, "I've met tens of thousands of people and taken thousands of photographs, often in crowded and chaotic situations. I'm a warm person; I hug people. I've learned from recent stories that in some of those encounters, I crossed a line for some womenand I know that any number is too many."[129] Another anonymous woman said that after she was a guest on Franken's radio show in 2006, Franken leaned in toward her face during a handshake and gave her "a wet, open-mouthed kiss" on the cheek when she turned away.[130][131] The same day, Stephanie Kemplin, an army veteran, told CNN that Franken held the side of her breast for 5 to 10 seconds "and never moved his hand" while posing for a photograph[132] with her during a 2003 USO tour in Iraq.[133]" Wikipedia

Thanks for that paste.
I think I maybe said it at the time, and now that I'm reminded I'll say it again.

My mom's family was different than my dad's or my step-dad's in that THEY KISSED ON THE LIPS as a regular greeting. And they did it with business associates.
I recall seeing my uncle do it as late as the 90's and I realized at that moment just how out of touch it was with the generally accepted cultural greeting.

So, I can give a pass in some of these situations.
Shaking hands is commonly accepted, but it's a cultural construct. Kissing on the cheeks is how they do it in France and Spain.
And I have experienced lip kissing as an old-school type of greeting in this country.

Let's face it, some of this stuff is hard to "legislate". Franken's response seemed reasonable.

I have no idea what's going on with Cuomo.
I DO have an idea what was going on with Trump. He grabbed handfuls, and shoved pocketfuls!
concordtom
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

But the press surely did. Now that Trump and Co. has departed the scene, they've lost that treasure trove of meat into which they can sink their teeth. The solution? Eat your own.
Seems like there's some truth in what you say. They want to show they weren't just partisan anti-Trumpists.
concordtom
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe I should to.
Or maybe one of you two believable fellows can summarize the Cuomo situation for me.
Is he in the wrong? What did he do?
dajo9
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

The question is: Would these allegations have come to light 90 days ago? Not a chance. He was a national rock star being touted as a possible POTUS candidate, even while his nursing home fiasco was already known.

What do you care about these allegations? Worse was alleged of Trump and you don't care. You only care that he is a Democrat.
okaydo
concordtom said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe I should to.
Or maybe one of you two believable fellows can summarize the Cuomo situation for me.

To sum up: Andrew Cuomo is kind of like Donald Trump, but with the ability to not look like an a-hole in public. He's always been sh*tty, bullying, corrupt, thin-skinned. But the behavior of him and his subordinates has always been terrible behind the scenes. And that behavior has made its way to print media. But in public -- as in, on TV-- he's been charismatic and humble while looking the kind of firm, strong leader that New Yorkers love. While the print media blasted him for his terrible handling of the covid crisis, on TV he was seen as such a great leader that the International Emmys decided to give him a special award. The sh*tty leadership during the covid crisis has finally started catching up to him. And so, he threatened a Democratic lawmaker. Unlike other Democratic lawmakers who've been bullied, that Democratic lawmaker decided to go public -- as in, on TV. And him going public was what was needed for other people to go public with their allegations. And it's snowballed into something Cuomo can't stop this time.

concordtom
Funny. Cuomo addressing the kissing on TV now. He said, that's my way of greeting people, and it was my father's way.
My grandfather, who started the culture on my mom's side of the family, as I explained above, was also from Brooklyn.
Like I was saying, some of this was always just about culture.
Culture is changing here in the US. To the extent this is merely about kissing in a greeting, it is a ripple in that sea change movement, which above Cuomo's behavior has many many grabbing women, pressuring women, etc.
It's a needed change - I'm not trying to minimize it in full - but when you compare the political attack on Cuomo vs Trump's behavior, it's NIGHT and DAY.
concordtom
okaydo said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe I should to.

To sum up: Chris Cuomo is kind of like Donald Trump, but with the ability to not look like an a-hole in public. He's always been sh*tty, bullying, corrupt, thin-skinned. But the behavior of him and his subordinates has always been terrible behind the scenes. And that behavior has made its way to print media. But in public -- as in, on TV-- he's been charismatic and humble while looking the kind of firm, strong leader that New Yorkers love. While the print media blasted him for his terrible handling of the covid crisis, on TV he was seen as such a great leader that the International Emmys decided to give him a special award. The sh*tty leadership during the covid crisis has finally started catching up to him. And so, he threatened a Democratic lawmaker. Unlike other Democratic lawmakers who've been bullied, that Democratic lawmaker decided to go public -- as in, on TV. And him going public was what was needed for other people to go public with their allegations. And it's snowballed into something Cuomo can't stop this time.

I'll have to catch up on this other "bullying" behavior you refer to.
I'm not up to date, other than hearing he kissed some people, and essentially propositioned young women in somewhat awkward ways ("have you ever slept with an older man").
Thanks.
What was sh*tty about his covid leadership? That they said a dozen people in an old folks home died elsewhere?
LMK5
dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

What do you care about these allegations? Worse was alleged of Trump and you don't care. You only care that he is a Democrat.
You're getting better and better at sidestepping.
LMK5
concordtom said:

Funny. Cuomo addressing the kissing on TV now. He said, that's my way of greeting people, and it was my father's way.
My grandfather, who started the culture on my mom's side of the family, as I explained above, was also from Brooklyn.
Culture is changing here in the US. To the extent this is merely about kissing in a greeting, it is a ripple in that sea change movement, which above Cuomo's behavior has many many grabbing women, pressuring women, etc.
It's a needed change - I'm not trying to minimize it in full - but when you compare the political attack on Cuomo vs Trump's behavior, it's NIGHT and DAY.
Why do these allegations from the women come out now? What was the trigger?
dajo9
LMK5 said:

dajo9 said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

You're getting better and better at sidestepping.

You are sidestepping. Cuomo is finished. Just a matter of time. You still support Trump. You don't care about any of this except Democrats vs. Republicans.
okaydo
Hope Rides Again said:

okaydo said:

concordtom said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

Maybe I should to.

To sum up: Chris Cuomo
Andrew Cuomo, you fscking twit

I've been reading too many stories on the sh*tstorm over Chris Cuomo uncritically elevating his brother on CNN during the pandemic.
okaydo
LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

I know you're not interested in reading anything. But if you really want to learn, read the article I posted here.

Basically, like a lot of powerful bosses who've been brought down in recent years (Harvey Weinstein, Les Moonves,...) they are held up by a powerful network of allies and enforcers that make sure loyal people stay loyal.

Read the article. It'll take a few minutes of your life.

https://bearinsider.com/forums/6/topics/99299/replies/1856258
okaydo
concordtom said:

Well, you can't compare Trump to anybody because, as has been proven, Trump can shoot and kill somebody and still be held up as a leader by his party.
LMK5
okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

I know you're not interested in reading anything. But if you really want to learn, read the article I posted here.

Basically, like a lot of powerful bosses who've been brought down in recent years (Harvey Weinstein, Les Moonves,...) they are held up by a powerful network of allies and enforcers that make sure loyal people stay loyal.

Yes I read the post where you cited many instances of newspapers taking shots at Cuomo. My question is, how does that nullify what the vast majority of Americans have seen over the past year? Just because print media has a more educated audience and has the space to get into more detail on matters, it doesn't mean that what the mass media serves up is irrelevant. You can't say that CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and the committee that awards Emmys are also among the "network of allies and enforcers."

He was nominated for Time's Person of the Year for Christ sake. Is change.org also one of those allies and enforcers? Here's a plea from that site to give Cuomo the Time award. It's dripping with admiration: change.org plea

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Clearly, the mass media as a whole has been portraying Cuomo as a guy who's been getting the job done; as a guy to look up to as an example of leadership during these trying times. Nothing you post can change that. It's the impression that the media has successfully conveyed to the American public. Just because articles were written that expose a darker side it doesn't invalidate the overwhelming impression the media has purposefully fed to America as a whole for the past year.
okaydo
LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

Yes I read the post where you cited many instances of newspapers taking shots at Cuomo. My question is, how does that nullify what the vast majority of Americans have seen over the past year? Just because print media has a more educated audience and has the space to get into more detail on matters, it doesn't mean that what the mass media serves up is irrelevant. You can't say that CNN, NBC, CBS, ABC, MSNBC, and the committee that awards Emmys are also among the "network of allies and enforcers."

He was nominated for Time's Person of the Year for Christ sake. Is change.org also one of those allies and enforcers? Here's a plea from that site to give Cuomo the Time award. It's dripping with admiration: change.org plea

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Clearly, the mass media as a whole has been portraying Cuomo as a guy who's been getting the job done; as a guy to look up to as an example of leadership during these trying times. Nothing you post can change that. It's the impression that the media has successfully conveyed to the American public. Just because articles were written that expose a darker side it doesn't invalidate the overwhelming impression the media has purposefully fed to America as a whole for the past year.

Well, he was portrayed as getting the job done because he stood in stark contrast to how Trump was buffoonishly handling the pandemic in public.

During his daily pandemic press conferences, Trump suggested injecting disinfectants and he boasted about how he f*cked models. That was pretty deranged behavior.

When one leader is setting that low a bar, another leader being cool, calm and collected is going to get praise because he's doing the basics of what a leader should be doing.

Cuomo wasn't really a national figure before the pandemic. Perhaps he was known as the guy who ran against the Sex and the City star, but otherwise his daily press conferences were how he was introduced to the nation.

As for Cuomo being nominated for Time's Person of the Year. That's like being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Pretty meaningless.

Cuomo was among 80 nominees that also included AOC and Mitch McConnell.
concordtom
LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

I have no idea.
But I did notice it was when Trump was no longer a target.
sycasey
LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

Here's what I think we saw with Cuomo: a guy who had a relatively brief period of very favorable coverage because he put on a good TV performance in the early months of the pandemic. If you look outside of that narrow window of time, you see a guy who's had a lot of issues, all of it also reported in the press -- it's just that before COVID it wasn't at a time when everyone was looking, outside of maybe locals in NY. However, the fact that he got such major national coverage also meant that the next big Cuomo scandal was also going to get outsized coverage, because now he's a bigger name and a potential national player, not just a local governor dealing with local problems. He brought on the greater scrutiny and now will suffer the consequences.

Same s*** can happen on either side of the aisle.
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

Here's what I think we saw with Cuomo: a guy who had a relatively brief period of very favorable coverage because he put on a good TV performance in the early months of the pandemic. If you look outside of that narrow window of time, you see a guy who's had a lot of issues, all of it also reported in the press -- it's just that before COVID it wasn't at a time when everyone was looking, outside of maybe locals in NY. However, the fact that he got such major national coverage also meant that the next big Cuomo scandal was also going to get outsized coverage, because now he's a bigger name and a potential national player, not just a local governor dealing with local problems. He brought on the greater scrutiny and now will suffer the consequences.

I agree with you. If you're going to get praise and publicity you also become that much more of a target for those trying to make an name for themselves in journalism. But his Covid record was not good from the start. Why did they overlook that? Would a Ron DeSantis have any hope--no matter the accomplishment--of getting positive press coverage from those that were swooning over Cuomo?
okaydo
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

I agree with you. If you're going to get praise and publicity you also become that much more of a target for those trying to make an name for themselves in journalism. But his Covid record was not good from the start. Why did they overlook that? Would a Ron DeSantis have any hope--no matter the accomplishment--of getting positive press coverage from those that were swooning over Cuomo?

Yes, Cuomo's handling of covid was a disaster. But he did something positive and -- at the time -- unusual in filling of a national leadership void. That's why he received positive press.

What has DeSantis done to warrant *any* positive press? DeSantis designed himself in Trump's image, which is being an anti-science a-hole.

Being an anti-science a-hole doesn't get national positive press, unfortunately.
LMK5
okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

Yes, Cuomo's handling of covid was a disaster. But he did something positive and -- at the time -- unusual in filling of a national leadership void. That's why he received positive press.

What has DeSantis done to warrant *any* positive press? DeSantis designed himself in Trump's image, which is being an anti-science a-hole.

Being an anti-science a-hole doesn't get national positive press, unfortunately.
So you're saying his Covid response "was a disaster." Fair enough. But his praise came as a result of his Covid response. See the irony? What was an example of the national leadership he demonstrated? Whom did he lead and to where did he lead them?

okaydo, honestly, if Cuomo was a Republican would he have received any acclaim?
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

DeSantis deserves no special praise, as Florida's COVID response has been thoroughly average. (Middle of the pack in deaths per capita, worse than California.) Hawaii has actually done the best, why don't we talk about them?

I think people gave Cuomo the benefit of the doubt with his state getting hit so hard early in the pandemic, plus there is a lot of media focused on NYC, plus as I said he performed well on TV. But eventually the bad stuff came out, as it usually does.
LMK5
sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

DeSantis deserves no special praise, as Florida's COVID response has been thoroughly average. (Middle of the pack in deaths per capita, worse than California.) Hawaii has actually done the best, why don't we talk about them?

I think people gave Cuomo the benefit of the doubt with his state getting hit so hard early in the pandemic, plus there is a lot of media focused on NYC, plus as I said he performed well on TV. But eventually the bad stuff came out, as it usually does.
I agree. Question: Would Cuomo have garnered the same positive attention if he happened to be a Republican?
sycasey
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

I agree. Question: Would Cuomo have garnered the same positive attention if he happened to be a Republican?
Probably? Rudy Giuliani also got a lot of positive coverage once, until he started going crazy.
okaydo
LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

1. Cuomo gets a lot of good press because he's akin to being a Republican. He's as close as it gets.

2. The media tend to be biased toward Republicans as being better at leading. At least before Trump. Republicans are looked at as grown-ups who are authority figures. Again, pre-Trump.

3. What happened to Cuomo is the same thing that happened to Bush with 9/11. Even though he had some culpability in ignoring 9/11 warnings, Bush was forgiven because he galvanized the country. And because people believed that no president could've stopped that from happening. Hell, even Trump got a covid bounce last year. Cuomo's f*ck-ups early on were overlooked because he showed leadership when it mattered.

LMK5
okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

sycasey said:

LMK5 said:

okaydo said:

LMK5 said:

concordtom said:

1. Cuomo gets a lot of good press because he's akin to being a Republican. He's as close as it gets.

2. The media tend to be biased toward Republicans as being better at leading. At least before Trump. Republicans are looked at as grown-ups who are authority figures. Again, pre-Trump.

3. What happened to Cuomo is the same thing that happened to Bush with 9/11. Even though he had some culpability in ignoring 9/11 warnings, Bush was forgiven because he galvanized the country. And because people believed that no president could've stopped that from happening. Hell, even Trump got a covid bounce last year. Cuomo's f*ck-ups early on were overlooked because he showed leadership when it mattered.

You know, you might have something there. I've always considered myself as one of the grown-ups around here.
AunBear89
LMK5 said:

You know, you might have something there. I've always considered myself as one of the grown-ups around here.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -- (maybe) Benjamin Disraeli, popularized by Mark Twain
BearForce2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.