cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,279,539 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Jeff82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842621515 said:

2017 point guard jade smith scored 14 points in navigating the st joesph notre dame pilots (8-1) down the runway 52-16 vs an overmatched westmoor (daly city) rams but got bitten 71-59 by the oakland tech bulldogs in the legends classic at haas pavilion

bay area's finest#

Ouch!! Westmoor is my other alma mater. They used to be good in basketball in the old North Peninsula League. Not in the class of the Catholic schools, but one of the better public school program.s
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]let's run....[/SIZE]

[video=youtube;_F-hDlD6TKo][/video]

Shocky1
taylor gonna be in the haas tonite along with the rogg machine

yeah, we're gonna be screaming from the rooftops for them bears to defend davidtson's 3 point shooters & crash the boards

the key is fuschia socks#
Jeff82
LOUMFSG2;842621145 said:

I know this notion that Monty had "taken the program as far as it was going to go" is pretty common, but I guess I don't understand it, given his track record at Stanfurd. With most coaches, you'd have to guess what might happen if a guy were to stay at the same school for 18 years, but with Monty, you at least have an example. You could easily say that after 6 seasons on the Farm, he'd taken that program as far as it was going to go. In fact, after his seventh season, you could have argued that not only had it plateaued, it had fallen off the cliff (Monty went 7-23 overall, and 2-16 in conference year 7). But despite that one bad season (his only losing season in 32 years as a coach), he proceeded to take Stanfurd on an epic run. And I think he had just as much distaste for the AAU system, was just as smug (or if anything, more smug) back then as he is now. But "if you win, they will come".

His first 6 seasons at Cal were more successful than his early years at Stanfurd. And I would say that his recruiting at Cal was on an upward trend when he retired. He followed his recruitment of Wallace with the Bird/Mathews/Singer/Rooks/Moute class, and then potentially following that up with a class of Rorie/Diallo/Poeltl. And I know some people seem to not want to believe that Monty (and his staff) landed Poeltl, and his coming to Cal was by no means a certainty. But I've spoken to folks to claim to know, and it sure seems like our staff believed he was coming.

And in some ways, that's all it takes for a guy like Monty. I had no idea back then how good Poeltl was going to turn out, but now that I've seen him for a year-plus, adding Poeltl to a core of Wallace/Mathews/Bird/Kravish could have led to a Sweet 16 run (or maybe more) last year under Monty. And while I see no reason to believe that Monty would have even gone after Brown, much less landed him, Rabb is a murkier question. Rabb made it pretty clear that a head coach "showing love" was pretty important to him, and it's hard to imagine Monty scoring well on that front. But to me, it also seems like at least a part of Rabb wanted to stay local. Maybe if Poeltl had come, and the team enjoyed a nice post-season run, he'd have found a way to justify it, despite Monty's shortcomings.

Anyway, he is here with Martin, and Brown too, and I'm gonna try to enjoy it while I can

It has been suggested by others that when Monty came to Cal, he thought the program would basically recruit itself, as Stanford did during his later years, based on his coaching and the academics. That did not turn out to be the case. Socaltownie has suggested, and I agree with his assessment, that the recruiting bases for Stanford, a private school, and Cal, a public school, are different. In basketball, Stanford really has only one peer, Duke, whereas Cal competes against all the other high-academic public schools (UCLA, Michigan, Texas, North Carolina), several of whom have more robust recent basketball traditions than we have. That hindered Monty's recruiting, highlighted by the West Coast big men he didn't get. If he was sure he was going to get Poetl, it's hard to fathom why he would retire. Her certainly wasn't going to stay at Cal for 18 years, as he did at Stanford, just because of age. The obvious answer is that he was certain that Travis would get the job, and wanted to leave him a well-stocked roster. That's possible, and something that was basically torpedoed by the football fiasco and Sandy Barbour's departure. Still, I find it hard to believe that Monty, who lusted for years for a quality big man to build his system around, would leave if he was certain that quality 5 was coming. I still appreciate what he did for the program, in the wake of Braun's decline, and I'm now happy to see where Cuonzo Martin takes us.
concordtom
Jeff82;842622427 said:

It has been suggested by others that when Monty came to Cal, he thought the program would basically recruit itself, as Stanford did during his later years, based on his coaching and the academics. That did not turn out to be the case. Socaltownie has suggested, and I agree with his assessment, that the recruiting bases for Stanford, a private school, and Cal, a public school, are different. In basketball, Stanford really has only one peer, Duke, whereas Cal competes against all the other high-academic public schools (UCLA, Michigan, Texas, North Carolina), several of whom have more robust recent basketball traditions than we have. That hindered Monty's recruiting, highlighted by the West Coast big men he didn't get. If he was sure he was going to get Poetl, it's hard to fathom why he would retire. Her certainly wasn't going to stay at Cal for 18 years, as he did at Stanford, just because of age. The obvious answer is that he was certain that Travis would get the job, and wanted to leave him a well-stocked roster. That's possible, and something that was basically torpedoed by the football fiasco and Sandy Barbour's departure. Still, I find it hard to believe that Monty, who lusted for years for a quality big man to build his system around, would leave if he was certain that quality 5 was coming. I still appreciate what he did for the program, in the wake of Braun's decline, and I'm now happy to see where Cuonzo Martin takes us.

Anyone who thought that did not listen to the Monty Gets Hired press conference.
In it, he was asked and talked about recruiting and I recall him saying that No, he didn't think it was going to be the same. He said that there was a different type of recruit that was available to him now. At the time, I didn't know if he meant that recruiting would be easier or harder - and I guess he cloaked his response well enough that I still don't know what he meant. However, seeing his recruits, I imagine he meant that recruiting at Cal would not be as easy or straight forward. That's a shame, because I think he just screwed the pooch on that job, either way.
Here are the points that matter on that subject:
A) Monty was HOF bound level coach with Final Four and NBA experience. That recruits!
B) Cal is a GREAT school in a GREAT location.
Recruiting should have been a piece of cake (in my opinion).

Martin's first 2 recruits last year are definitely not inspiring. However, in getting Rabb and Brown, he has already surpassed what Monty was doing. It will be interesting to see if Martin's success continues - flash in the lucky pan or a pattern. What Monty had HEAD AND SHOULDERS above Martin is ALL OF "A" above, and that is a huge advantage. Shame that Martin has shown him up in just year 2. Monty should have been able to manage better. But, he apparently knew that wasn't going to happen, per those initial press conference words. It was ominous to me, and ended up being prescient. Self fulfilling is the take away I have. He predicted his own doom.

When riding a horse, watch where the head is pointed, as that's usually the direction the horse is going to go next.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Cal thrashes Davidson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]and Domingo joined the party with 2 for 3 from deep, SIX boards, 2 assists and a block[/SIZE]

south bender
HoopDreams;842622590 said:

[SIZE=5]Cal thrashes Davidson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]and Domingo joined the party with 2 for 3 from deep, SIX boards, 2 assists and a block[/SIZE]

I thought his making two 3s was huge. If he can relax and shoot from deep with the accuracy that he is reputed to have, that will be a huge boost to our team. He is an asset even without the 3s. With that shot, however, he becomes a super asset.

Go Bears!
Shocky1

left to right, jordan "creasy" mathews, tyrone "the chaser" wallace, jaylen "forgot to go to yoga today" brown, ivan "don't **** wit me" rabb, steven "the financial district" domingo, jabari "keep shooting" bird, brenden "no finish" glapion & cole "sky high break point" welle

gameday started on auspicious note with marcus green (for the 1st time this season) practicing slick azz entry passes to young ivee 40 minutes before tip off, dude can seriously deliver the rock

t-wall chased & harassed the nation's #3 scorer jack gibbs (26.6 ppg) in limiting davidson's highly talented leader to 7 points, game ******* over...the nba places a premium on point guards that can lock down opposing 1s

bears continue to take steps forward in lobbying the ball to rabb, rooks & the king (4 blocks, god save the queen), maybe we're not really the worst ******* passing team in the nation after all

thank you coach martin for not forgetting them walk ons, we love all of them bad azzs...they are not the saddest show on earth

lots of energy in haas pavilion tonite, are you gonna be there when pac 12 play starts friday nite vs colorado?

come on, let's do this

fentons#
Shocky1
[video=youtube;igWl0Cs2nRQ][/video]

alpha males#
HoopDreams

[SIZE=6]And who was the Master DJ spin' N the tunes with 4 blocks?[/SIZE]

Shocky1
jack gibbs, davidson wildcats

russell wilson, seattle seahawks

jordan payton, ucla bruins

shocky is a mutt too#
parentswerebears
That was a fun game! It took me until halftime to realize who Gibbs was, he was such a non factor. The ball movement was better than it has been. And it seemed like they were hitting a higher percentage than in previous games.
BearsObserver

BearBackerinLA;842621862 said:

against Moreau Catholic of Hayward today ...

south bender
parentswerebears;842622621 said:

That was a fun game! It took me until halftime to realize who Gibbs was, he was such a non factor. The ball movement was better than it has been. And it seemed like they were hitting a higher percentage than in previous games.

Player and ball movement get a team better shots.
Shocky1
from this point forward anytime jordan mathews plays like an alpha male he should be nicknamed "creasy," it would be just wrong to call him any other name at that time

Shocky1;842553605 said:

the draftexpress.com (which is written by guys with zero nba backgrounds whose primary jobs are working security for the gap) is of the opinion that 4 of the top 7 nba prospects in the pac 12 are california golden bears
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top-NBA-Prospects-in-the-Pac-12-Part-Seven-Prospects-17-20-5245

but make no mistake about it, jordan "en fuego" mathews is the best shooter in the pac...there's something transcendently epic that freezes time forever when mathews squares up his shoulders & releases his 3 pointers with perfect rotation into the haas airspace, i can't breathe...let it fly, baby, let's do this

nothing to lose#

jordan mathews is an alpha male, the man on fire knocked down 19 points in a literally flawless first half & finished with an en fuego 22 points on 7-10 fgs including a blistering 5-8 3 pointers along with 3 assists, 3 boards & zero ******* turnovers

good game, creasy

this is cal basketball#
Shocky1
do not **** wit jordan mathews

creasy forever#
Shocky1
st marys (11-1) comic booked 65-50 them utah valley wolverines at the gaels tiny crack house in moraga

rpi#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842622687 said:

st marys (11-1) comic booked 65-50 them utah valley wolverines at the gaels tiny crack house in moraga

rpi#

In other news, Washington "could be a really good team" Huskies lost to UCSB. Frustrated by the Gaucho's zone I would say at this point our Frosh are better than their Frosh ;-)
HoopDreams

Jeff82
Shocky1;842622605 said:

left to right, jordan "creasy" mathews, tyrone "the chaser" wallace, jaylen "forgot to go to yoga today" brown, ivan "don't **** wit me" rabb, steven "the financial district" domingo, jabari "keep shooting" bird, brenden "no finish" glapion & cole "sky high break point" welle

gameday started on auspicious note with marcus green (for the 1st time this season) practicing slick azz entry passes to young ivee 40 minutes before tip off, dude can seriously deliver the rock

t-wall chased & harassed the nation's #3 scorer jack gibbs (26.6 ppg) in limiting davidson's highly talented leader to 7 points, game ******* over...the nba places a premium on point guards that can lock down opposing 1s

bears continue to take steps forward in lobbying the ball to rabb, rooks & the king (4 blocks, god save the queen), maybe we're not really the worst ******* passing team in the nation after all

thank you coach martin for not forgetting them walk ons, we love all of them bad azzs...they are not the saddest show on earth

lots of energy in haas pavilion tonite, are you gonna be there when pac 12 play starts friday nite vs colorado?

come on, let's do this

fentons#

Shocky, best effort of the season on defense, and on concentrating on getting the ball to Ivan where he can be effective. He made Davidson pay several times with sharp passing when they ran the double-team at him, giving us open looks and resulting in the first-half blowout. Really something to build confidence on going into conference. I think we're ready to make some noise.
Shocky1
socaltownie;842622731 said:

In other news, Washington "could be a really good team" Huskies lost to UCSB. Frustrated by the Gaucho's zone I would say at this point our Frosh are better than their Frosh ;-)

washington 6-27 on 3 pointers (22.2%) sealed the deal in seattle vs visiting santa barbara

teams that don't defend & attack the rim offensively are gonna lose games when the perimeter shots aren't dropping

the valley club#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842620750 said:

the bears competed with the required relentless intensity that is necessary for championship basketball for a full 45 minutes tonite at the deafening john paul jones arena against the #5 ranked team in the nation at the university of virginia

yeah, the guys got a long nite in front of them with a bus ride to washington dc, a couple of hours of sleep at an airport hotel & then a 7:00 am flight back to the bay area but they should be very proud of their collective effort

until this epic game i kinda wondered if this squad had the heart & killer instincts to potentially win the pac 12 championship, that question has been answered

time to move on, the bears gotta learn from this ncca game like experience & battle for another win vs davidson on monday december 28th to wrap up the preseason with a 10-3 record

resilience#

"going into that game (virginia), i read somewhere would cal be tough enough?...that was a question mark for me too...it wasn't about talent, would we be tough enough?...we did what what we needed to do from that standpoint...our guys grew up...it wasn't a case of a moral victory...we lost a game i felt we should've won and i take the blame for that as a coach...in losing a game like that, i'm able to get maybe another half an hour of sleep because the effort was there...there've been some games we won and i couldn't sleep because i didn't think we played well...i thought our guys played a good basketball game...i was interested to see how it would carry over today (davidson), coming off the holiday, coming off a painful loss...i thought our guys did a good job bouncing back"

-coach martin

who knew that coach dykes could play the guitar & that coach christopher cold play the sax/flute?

socaltownie
Shocky1;842623720 said:

"going into that game (virginia), i read somewhere would cal be tough enough?...that was a question mark for me too...it wasn't about talent, would we be tough enough?...we did what what we needed to do from that standpoint...our guys grew up...it wasn't a case of a moral victory...we lost a game i felt we should've won and i take the blame for that as a coach...in losing a game like that, i'm able to get maybe another half an hour of sleep because the effort was there...there've been some games we won and i couldn't sleep because i didn't think we played well...i thought our guys played a good basketball game...i was interested to see how it would carry over today (davidson), coming off the holiday, coming off a painful loss...i thought our guys did a good job bouncing back"

-coach martin

who knew that coach dykes could play the guitar & that coach christopher cold play the sax/flute?

Yeah or that apparently Stefan Nastic dropped off the Serbian team and is playing bass.
#thingsyoulearnclikcingthroughto2:16
Shocky1
socaltownie;842623776 said:

Yeah or that apparently Stefan Nastic dropped off the Serbian team and is playing bass.
#thingsyoulearnclikcingthroughto2:16

but make no mistake about it, nasty was the fugliest dude in the pac 12 last season

dude scared the **** out of a lot of little children by smiling at them

good thing for nastic is that it is one of life's basic truths that hot girls from academically mediocre schools like asu, oregon and arizona want to date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads...so there's always hope for stefen

socal, you are being way too kind to describe the bass player in the dave mathews band at the 2 minute 16 second mark as looking anything like stefan nastic, ok?

maybe if nasty had a bunch of plastic surgery & got most of them knobs & **** like that removed i could maybe see your point

this is stanford basketball (not that anybody in palo alto cares)#
BearsObserver

Shocky1;842621615 said:

top 15 player in the 2018 class 6'8" miles norris is a major targeted recruiting priority for the cal staff...norris scored 10 points for a balanced mater dei catholic (chula vista) as the crusaders marched over the chula vista spartans 50-29 & 12 points as the crusaders kicked to the curb the steele canyon cougars 59-58

unlike oregon & washington, cal is the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world

cal's started at the bottom class (2018)#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842605635 said:

indian valley's finest twosome#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including china palace)

jerry goff (a former bears baseball standout & major league baller) told me at a game at haas pavilion last spring that he's a reader of the cal's monster class & that his son would most likely declare for the nfl draft after this season

jared is very close to graduating (he enrolled as an early entrant in berkeley out of marin catholic high school) & he's gonna be one of the top 2 qbs taken in the nfl draft

jerry, thank you & your wife nancy (both cal grads) for raising such a respectful & hard working young man who took a chance in resurrecting the cal football program on its current upward trajectory

merci beaucoup, senor

cal family#
BearsObserver
Jonesboro (GA) 59, Mission Hills (CA) Alemany 56 ...

junior wing Earnie Sears III (12 points and seemingly as many "spectacular plays" at both ends of the floor as points) played well again for the Warriors.

Link:
http://www.burlisononbasketball.com/2015/12/bishop-gorman-redondo-in-maxpreps-rematch/

Shocky1;842617862 said:

the cal basketball staff is actively scouting ernie sears, a 6'3" 160 lbs athletic high motor combo guard in the 2017 class from bishop alemany from mission hills (home of kam rooks)...sears is more of a wing than a point guard at this time

ernie is a high energy guy just like his dad who played for the bears back in the day & has grown 2 inches in the past year...sears is continuing to show improvement in his jumper & is an excellent student athlete with academic ambition (harvard is also on his radar)

yeah, cal's touch the sky class (2017) is expected by the coaches to be a large group of 4-7 guys due to the expected departures at that time & ernie sears is gonna be seriously evaluated for potential inclusion

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:gobears:
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]Congrates to the team, especially the Seniors![/COLOR][/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=6]Mr Ira Lee
[/SIZE]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842544115 said:

who is the earliest morning riser within the cal basketball program?

that would be marcus green, the assistant director of basketball operation...the high energy/good energy dude eats breakfast with the guys at the training table every morning, serves as a big bro on a lot of topics from school to girls & is a relentless class checker to ensure everybody is where they gotta be in addition to his operational support of the director of basketball operations marco harris

marcus grew up in the chicago area, was a 4 year letterman & 2 time team captain at purdue along with graduating with a degree in organizational leadership & supervision and later played professionally in buenos aires, argentina which has got a lot of curvy brunette yoga females

there's an app named waze which provides info in real time the location of police officers & traffic accidents...a couple of the bears told me that they got a code name for marcus that they text to each other when green is on the prowl

moms of prospective recruits gotta feel reassured that their sons are in good hands with marcus green keeping an eye on everything...let's be real here, coach martin is usually sleeping while marcus roams berkeley before the dawn every morning

this is cal basketball#

the most skilled passer in the cal basketball program is marcus green

if green still got any eligibility, young ivee would be getting 15+ shots a game in the low post

the ugly truth re: cal basketball#
HoopDreams
Shocky1
parentswerebears;842622621 said:

enjoyed meeting you & your buddy, mad respect for guys who will drive 6 hours (3 hours each way) to experience the magic of cal basketball at haas pavilion

but let's be real here, you're not even close to ever being my favorite teacher

winter break#
concordtom
Shocky1;842624189 said:

[/URL]

winter break#

Someone needs to teach these hot women that they when they play the sex card like this they really just allow the male brain to perpetuate the ....
.... look, if they want to be treated the same, then try dressing up as men and see if you can garner the same response. Otherwise, we just want to have at it.
But they want it both ways, to be paid/promoted/etc AND leave us drooling, which is asking a lot of our primitive selves.
Sigh....
HoopDreams
Enwere's message to the seniors...

[SIZE=5][COLOR="#0000CD"]https://instagr.am/p/_7mBWeNnOM[/COLOR][/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]The Pac12 will be a war this year

http://pac-12.com/article/2015/12/30/closer-look-2015-16-pac12hoops-award-nominees?utm_source=HootSuite&utm_medium=OwnedSocial&utm_campaign=Pac12Social
[/SIZE]

First Page Last Page
Page 260 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.