cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,293,780 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842638302 said:

canadian 6'6" 200 lbs 2017 wing abu kigab from st catherine's ontario was in the haas saturday nite on an unofficial visit for cal's victory over arizona...the staff is currently evaluating abu for a potential offer

kigab is currently playing for prolific prep in napa & is a teammate of key cal target ira lee, he's got offers from kansas, usc, oregon, minnesota & virginia tech among the schools pursuing the previously under the radar high motor student athlete

listen to abu articulate as a sophmore (a year ago) his passion for defending, self improvement & team goals
[video=youtube;7Eeklpo3-Lg][/video]

yeah, there are unconfirmed reports that drake is abu's brother or something

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including canada)

abu kigab in the haas along with his prolific prep teammate ira "the driver" lee last nite
Shocky1
Shocky1;842609435 said:

the bears staff is actively recruiting 6'1" 155 lbs brandon williams the top ranked pg on the west coast in the 2018 class from crespi carmelite high school

williams has elite court speed & vision and can create for both his teammates & himself with jumpers off the dribble

the 2 schools on him the hardest at this time are cal & arizona

williams led crespi carmelite to a high school championship at haas pavilion last spring & then his parents joined him for an unofficial visit this november for the blue & gold scrimmage...he's already built a strong relationship with fellow los angeles guy, roman davis

brandon kinda wasted his academic talents as a freshman with a 2.5 gpa but is now very motivated to become mentally limitless, he's gpa this year is closer to 3.3...as his gpa continues to rise, the difference between an academically mediocre school like arizona with its 95% acceptance rate & the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world will become more of a factor when a decision is made down the road

cal's started at the bottom class (2018)#

brandon williams on an unofficial visit to cal last nite for the usc clownstomping
wrigley
Shocky1;842655636 said:

brandon williams on an unofficial visit to cal last nite for the usc clownstomping

outside of Haas last night I saw a nice family walking towards me with the dad wearing a Crespi state championship t-shirt. being a Crespi alum, I had to stop him and chat. turns out it was Brandon and his family. great kid and great family!!
Shocky1
OldBlue1999;842655442 said:

So Shocky, give us the inside scoop. What is Miller trying to hide?

he got anger management issues & is a secret donut eater chowing down them heart attack grenades from the dunkin' donuts on craycroft in the bathroom when nobody is around to bother him, he got a secret stash that he don't share not even with archie

yeah, if josh jackson commits to kansas or michigan state, this is not gonna end well

the donut boy of tucson#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][FONT=Tahoma][COLOR="#000080"]Team[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

socaliganbear
Spotted Ira Lee on Telegraph yesterday...with an older USC gent.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842603696 said:

bishop o'dowd's 6'8" freshmen (2019) raymond hawkins scored 9 points with 8 boards in his 1st high school game

lou richie told me he's the real deal, the potential to play at ivan rabb's level...like his efforts with young ivee, richie who is a true educator & a firm believer of his young men all becoming high character student athletes, is working overtime to provide hawkins with the necessary academic tutoring/mentoring to ensure a bright future for a young man from a challenging background

raymond hawkins, write the name down

in addition to raymond hawkins & 2018 flashy point guard elijah hardy, head coach/community leader lou richie also got 6'3" 170 lbs 2018 shooting guard naseem gaskin who is fluid & athletic with a moneyball free throw stroke...naseem's moms is 6'2" & he could grow into being an explosive wing

https://vimeo.com/45797764

lou richie told me outside of haas pavilion before yesterday's usc game that he's game planning for bishop o'dowd's ncs semifinal playoff game with moreau catholic this wednesday ncs, gotten contain them mariners oscar frayer & damari milstead

https://soundcloud.com/lab-legendz/sets/tc3re-reunion

go dragons#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842655410 said:

ira lee, a 6'8" 205 lbs top 20 player in the 2017 class from prolific prep & a high priority cal target, in the haas last nite to experience the magic of cal basketball

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:gobears:

ira lee scored 14 points along with 9 boards to conclude his junior season as prolific prep outscored reno international prep 109-89 in an epic defensive battle
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]what a glorious day in Cali [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Congrates to Kristine Anigwe, Courtney Range, Gabby Green And Asha Thomas for earning Pac 12 awards
[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=6]Jaylen Brown is one of five Finalists for Tisdale Award
for the National Freshman Of The Year[/SIZE]

Shocky1
coach martin during the ingame scoreboard video said his favorite place to eat on campus is the dorms

this either means coach got no ******* tastebuds at all (he's an anti-foodie who actually looks forward to fish night in the dorms) or that roberta is a lousy cook

the ugly truth re: cal basketball#
Shocky1
socaliganbear;842655772 said:

Spotted Ira Lee on Telegraph yesterday...with an older USC gent.

kinda hoping ira isn't hanging out with oj, that wouldn't be a good thing at all
concordtom
HoopDreams;842655794 said:

[SIZE=7][COLOR="#0000FF"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]what a glorious day in Cali [/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that that is one of my favorite spots!
Glad to see the guys there, all of 5 mins from their home down below.
Anyone who attends Cal from elsewhere has to be, like, WOW, when they go there and discover that view.
Not very many places in the country with THIS.
Shocky1
former cal recruit davon dillard kicked off the oklahoma state team for repeated violation of team rules

the cal staff offered dillard during the losing stretch last season before the 3 game winning moneyballs, the thinking was we needed to become mentally tougher with more of a bad azz attitude, coach webster knew dillard's moms from back in the day...he attended an academically suspect high school for his senior season in new york after switching high schools become of a brutal fight that seriously messed up one of his teammates, grades & test scores were not cal calibre

good luck to davon in turning this around

Shocky1
Shocky1;842648464 said:

tyrone, as someone who has talked with more than a dozen nba scouts during the pregame (45+ minutes) warm ups both at haas & at every road (except boulder & seattle) game this season along with sitting/discussing at games with knowledgeable former bears justin labagh, lou richie, richard midgley & theo robertson it's kinda funny to hear their assessments of your skillset vs the subsect of posters on this board that are talking **** about you

your returning from a broken right hand so quickly tells me everything i gotta now about your commitment to your team & your truly unbreakable (in a samuel jackson kinda way) spirit...you are one of my favorite bears of all time, my respect for you extends far beyond anything you have ever done on a basketball court with a basketball

every single one of your teammates & coaches is thrilled with your early return to the court, that energy resulted in the high velocity clownpunking of the breaking bad oregon basketball enterprise & the more methodical victory over the oregon state beavers...despite not practicing for a couple of weeks, you played thru the fatigue & rust to make major contributions not only offensively attacking the basket & defensively in limiting the mercurial gary payton ii but also providing precious senior leadership...apparently your teammates & coaches don't know as much as the fans that are talking **** about you in terms of what you bring to this team

t-wall, this is a special group of guys (we all got our own unique flaws but together we fit together like a bag of raw uncut diamonds from sierra leone) but make no mistake about it, we gotta lotta energy but we also gotta lotta enemies too

that's just part of the deal, we gotta love it, not hate it...misinformed dumb azzs are just a part of life

because at the end of the day we got who we really want beside us, right?

cal family (huddle up tight)#
focused (the time is now for everything)#

t-wall, i'm not gonna repeat what i said to you during the celebration line after the usc game but trust me i meant every word i said to you

real talk#
BearsObserver

Shocky1;842617351 said:

cal has offered brandon mccoy, a 7' 235 lbs true 5 & top 25 player in the 2017 class from cathedral high school (previously attended morse) who has an opportunity to become one of the best players to ever come out of san diego

mccoy is already a relentless physical defender, rebounder & shot blocker with developing offensive skills with tremendous fluidity & athleticism to his movement
[video=youtube;YPp2FJHIkKQ][/video]

brandon got a 3.3 gpa & is interested in potential careers in either pharmacy or marine biology when his basketball playing days are done with him...dude is not a dumb azz, he realizes that his basketball playing days could be done forever in a split second injury & that he will need to be limitless mentally in order to achieve all his dreams in life & take care of moms

mccoy is a renaissance man, he taught himself to play the piano at age 13 after taking guitar lessons...he also won a middle school fair award after extracting dna from a banana

brandon grew up on the tough streets of chicago & it was a courageous decision for his moms mildred davis (a single parent), an army master sergeant who is now in the reserves to send her son to live with his guardian shaun manning who also serves as a mentor, coach & male role model

"my mom makes sure that i put school before anything...she doesn't care about basketball...all she cares about is academics...it's for me to accomplish my goals and to go to college and earn a degree and if the nba is in that conversation, then getting to the nba"
-brandon mccoy

yeah, the staff expects to sign multiple players in 2017 & there's no doubt that mccoy would be a standout center for cal's touch the sky class (2017)...brandon is truly a special young man with heart & skills that extend far beyond playing basketball on a basketball court with a basketball

brandon visited with the cal staff in berkeley on a saturday morning in october & then dominated in the prep2prep california all star classic 2017 class game this afternoon with 20 points & a redunkulous 17 boards & 3 blocks

actionable offer#
BearsObserver

Shocky1;842617540 said:

charlie o'bannon jr, a 6'5" 190 lbs top 40 player in the 2017 class from bishop gorman high school & the las vegas prospects, has been offered by coach martin

o'bannon got serious length (and is still growing) along with lethal behind the 3 point line shooting skills along with a solid mid range game...charles is multiple like the guys in cal's diamonds are forever class (2015)...he's working this summer on both his d & ball handling skills

charlie is a highly coveted national recruit with ucla (dad & uncle played there), arizona, kansas, uconn, unlv & louisville all targeting the articulate student athlete...but only the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world offers an elite combination of academics & basketball in a family environment along with ideal weather in the diverse & cosmopolitan bay area

yeah, o'bannon would be a strong fit with cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco that's for sure

charlie got an aau coach who is in his ear all the time re: the #1 public university in the world

yeah, that would be monty buckley

last time buckley recruited a kidd for the bears it turned out all right for everybody

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including las vegas)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842654777 said:

cal vs usc is sold out tomorrow nite, the cal basketball program got lots of passionate fans that love celebrating the magic of cal basketball at haas pavilion, a lot of former fake model tv fans are now going to games & having the times of their lives during this thus far perfect season at home...i salute those of you for the energy you are infusing our high character true student athletes by taking action & attending games...it's no fun living on leper island & never taking the ferry to berkeley on gamedays, don't be a fake model

we are gonna average over 10k fans this season, this is the vision of cal basketball that is now a reality, a seriously loud homecourt advantage with fans screaming from the rooftops...thx to hoop dreams for his support of the cal's monster class since we started at the bottom

congrats to all the true california golden bears fans, we have increased attendance an amazing 25.7% this season from 8.099 last year to a remarkable 10,183

it's possible we will lead the ncca in attendance growth, yeah cal fans are #1

fans of action#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842652555 said:

are you an old timer that has supported cal basketball & football for decades but the endless years of futility have resulted in your not keeping your season tix(s)?

this is your time to shine, your opportunity to celebrate the magic of cal basketball with family & friends on the eve of the biggest week of home games at haas pavilion as the bears play for the final time in berkeley this season, you will never have another opportunity to see this special team again...perhaps it's time for you to call 1-800 gobears (ask for chris celona) & get tix(s) again to your longtime palace haas pavilion

let's be real here, someone left the cake out in the rain, it took so long to bake it & you may not get that recipe again...or something like that

spring is not waiting (it's moving one step ahead)#

attendance update: there are still single game tickets available for both ucla & usc, slightly more for this thursday's game vs the bruins at 6:00 pm, what are you waiting for?

the time is now for everything#

what up old timers?

cal attendance increased 25.7% this season thanks to you, did you enjoy every minute of the bears perfect 18-0 record at haas pavillion?

this was the team's best home record since the perfect home season at harmon gym when the bears won the ncca championship in 1959/1960, your energy & presence was the difference

merci beaucoup, senor & senoritas

an epic season for the ages (this is the time of our lives)#
HoopDreams

concordtom
Shocky1;842655864 said:

congrats to all the true california golden bears fans, we have increased attendance an amazing 25.7% this season from 8.099 last year to a remarkable 10,183

it's possible we will lead the ncca in attendance growth, yeah cal fans are #1

fans of action#

Translated to $$$?

2100 * 18 = 37,800 extra seats sold.
If $10 per ticket, that's 3,780,000 in extra revenue.

That how you fund things like arena upgrades, coaching staff hires/upgrades, increased recruiting budget.

I would throw money at recruiting! Once the Haas is back to constant sell out, raise ticket prices. $4M additional revenue turns into $8M +.
bearmanpg
Shocky1;842655866 said:

what up old timers?

cal attendance increased 25.7% this season thanks to you, did you enjoy every minute of the bears perfect 18-0 record at haas pavillion?

this was the team's best home record since the perfect home season at harmon gym when the bears won the ncca championship in 1959/1960, your energy & presence was the difference

merci beaucoup, senor & senoritas

an epic season for the ages (this is the time of our lives)#

Shocky, even though you take a lot of crap from some on this board about your constant harping on fans to actually go to the games, I believe your efforts have been successful....don't know how many were shamed into attending by you but it must have been good for a few...thanks for your efforts...
GoldenBear1
It was a tremendous home season at Haas.
Fun!
Looking forward to the future.
Who hungry for more?
Shocky1
concordtom;842655902 said:

Translated to $$$?

2100 * 18 = 37,800 extra seats sold.
If $10 per ticket, that's 3,780,000 in extra revenue.

That how you fund things like arena upgrades, coaching staff hires/upgrades, increased recruiting budget.

I would throw money at recruiting! Once the Haas is back to constant sell out, raise ticket prices. $4M additional revenue turns into $8M +.

math gone bad: the new 2nd row of sold out floor seats & additional chairback season tixs aren't selling for $10 per ticket
Shocky1
Shocky1;842650951 said:

sammy & stephen are all business

let's do this#

sammy & domingo, you don't got to be in the internationally recognized haas biz school to know that growing your client base 25.7% in one year is a remarkable achievement that directly impacts the bottom line (not to be confused with a tan line which is something singer actually knows very little about)

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842646946 said:

hoop dream's last post includes fotos of the starters playing defensive

but guess what?...there's no picture of jaylen playing d against stanford because none exist, yeah, fotos of jb playing lockdown defense are as rare as sightings of the loch ness monster

https://soundcloud.com/the-tribe-akashic/keep-me-company-feat-master-wendu-tae-haru

shut up, shocky#

jaylen, are you gonna be locked in on d for the battle in tuscon thursday nite or what?

let's both get in our yoga & meditation done on gameday, ok?

let's do this (amped up)#
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;_CUxKXGRE88][/video]

concordtom
Shocky1;842656221 said:

math gone bad: the new 2nd row of sold out floor seats & additional chairback season tixs aren't selling for $10 per ticket

No Sh-t!
But how much are season tickets for the TOP row of the endzone?
Pick a number that averages it all out.
I don't care what # you pick, but make sense.
My point was that if you get recruits, you bring in more fans, more money, and the whole cycle reinforces itself.
Everyone knows this, including you. $10 is not the issue.
Shocky1
concordtom;842656267 said:

No Sh-t!
But how much are season tickets for the TOP row of the endzone?
Pick a number that averages it all out.
I don't care what # you pick, but make sense.
My point was that if you get recruits, you bring in more fans, more money, and the whole cycle reinforces itself.
Everyone knows this, including you. $10 is not the issue.

the season tixs for the top row of the end zone don't average out with the floor seats which also involve a donation to the meb fund of thousands of dollars

but agreed that basketball revenues are dramatically up this season, the 25.7% increase in fan attendance could potentially be the tops in the nation

cal fans are realizing that watching the bears play on tv is no bueno, it's a lame azz way to passively live your life when you can celebrate the magic of haas pavilion in person

loud excited crowds not only amp up our players as evidenced by the perfect 18-0 home record this season but also allow the staff to pursue future elite recruits, blue chip pros wanna play on big stages...haas pavillion is now truly a large stage, one of the top programs on the left coast for attendance

the bear will not quit, the bear will not die, the bear will not ******* hibernate during basketball season#
Shocky1
young ivee, it's fairly obvious at this juncture in the season that your sorry broken down azz teammates really don't have a ******* clue on how to throw you a lob/entry pass...they don't know sign language (your hand/fingers pointed upwards at the basket), stick talk or anything, they don't know ****

but this is also on you, are you gonna demand the ball in tucson thursday night, are you gonna impose your ******* will on the game?

look, i feel your pain but we both know it's too late to get paris to transfer to berkeley this week, ok?

if you take your usual only 5 shots during road games, we are *******

https://soundcloud.com/lab-legendz/sets/tc3re-reunion

tuscon is a dump#
mikecohen
Shocky1;842656271 said:

the season tixs for the top row of the end zone don't average out with the floor seats which also involve a donation to the meb fund of thousands of dollars

but agreed that basketball revenues are dramatically up this season, the 25.7% increase in fan attendance could potentially be the tops in the nation

cal fans are realizing that watching the bears play on tv is no bueno, it's a lame azz way to passively live your life when you can celebrate the magic of haas pavilion in person

loud excited crowds not only amp up our players as evidenced by the perfect 18-0 home record this season but also allow the staff to pursue future elite recruits, blue chip pros wanna play on big stages...haas pavillion is now truly a large stage, one of the top programs on the left coast for attendance

the bear will not quit, the bear will not die, the bear will not ******* hibernate during basketball season#

Just FWIW: From somebody who has derived an awful lot of benefit from being at the Haas games this season, I have to say that Steph Curry's last shot in the OKC game the other night (not to mention the extraordinary drama build-up of that whole game) spontaneously lifted us off the couch several feet into the air with a unified shout - a moment and gestures that I imagine may well have been shared by millions at the same moment. Now that there is little danger of Haas being other than sold out for the foreseeable future, I feel safe in expressing the above . . . the Shocky Orthodoxy notwithstanding to the contrary.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#FF0000"][FONT=Arial Black]ESPN:[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=5]Bring on the madness: This won't be a boring month. Here are reasons we are sure this March will be mad:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Because Cal looks dangerous
Cuonzo Martin's squad failed to match the preseason hype in the first three months of the season. But Cal, which features projected lottery picks Ivan Rabb and Jaylen Brown, enters the week on a seven-game winning streak. Who wants to play the Bears in the tournament?[/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Jabari Bird has been a big part of the surging Bears
In the first half of the USC game, with the game still tight, it was Jabari Bird who did the damage with 2 long range daggers

and in a game where many Bears provided huge plays, there was one that really caught my eye...

the trojans were trying to make a run by speeding up the game, and got a steal on a scramble play ... it looked bad as USC had a many on two fast break ... with SC PG passing the ball up court to what would have been a score (and maybe foul), [COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Impact]Jabari took to the air and FLEW[/FONT][/COLOR] ... knocking the ball harmlessly out of bounds

to me, that may have been the play of the game[/SIZE]

south bender
HoopDreams;842656293 said:

[SIZE=5]Jabari Bird has been a big part of the surging Bears
In the first half of the USC game, with the game still tight, it was Jabari Bird who did the damage with 2 long range daggers

and in a game where many Bears provided huge plays, there was one that really caught my eye...

the trojans were trying to make a run by speeding up the game, and got a steal on a scramble play ... it looked bad as USC had a many on two fast break ... with SC PG passing the ball up court to what would have been a score (and maybe foul), [COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Impact]Jabari took to the air and FLEW[/FONT][/COLOR] ... knocking the ball harmlessly out of bounds

to me, that may have been the play of the game[/SIZE]

Great to see Jabari playing with more verve and confidence. I hope he has turned a corner.

Go Bears!
First Page Last Page
Page 290 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.