cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,293,699 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
".... and hear all of your stories.."

Okay, Shocky, I have one story for you and SFCB from the late 80's/early 90's (I can't remember which):

In my seats at Harmon I used to talk hoop during the games with a man who sat in front of me. We never introduced ourselves. After having these discussions for at least 3 seasons, I heard him mention St. Ignatius High School. I told I had a story about St. Ignatius:

Around 1963 or 1964, when I was 9 or 10, I was at an O'Dowd vs St. Ignatius basketball game at St. Ignatius (my older sister is Class of '64 at O' Dowd, I am Class of '72). During the game, when St. Ignatius was inbounding the ball, one of their guards face planted and died on the court. The game was called and the Student Body President of St. Ignatius led all the fans outside in saying a Rosary for the fallen player.

When I finished my story, the man said to me: "I happen to know a lot about the facts of that story. I was the basketball coach at St. Ignatius when that boy died."
Then the man and I introduced ourselves to one another for the first time. His name? Bernie Simpson, a guard on Cal's National Championship team.

Years later Bernie moved to Walnut Creek and I would see Bernie and his wife, Donna, at Mass almost every Sunday. They have both passed. Fine people.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Shocky1
story telling tip #269: the best stories usually don't involve everybody in the story dying or something

bearister
socaltownie
Lol. You dont notice these things when her legs are on your shoulder #yogarocks
bearister
I'm Irish, so I'm dark. So as not to depress Shocky, I will either desist from posting stories in the future, or if I do, I will make sure they are cheery and suitably detached from reality.

Shocky1
why that guy got a bullet hole in his cheek?
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

insightful breakdown of the usc stormin' the court scene at haas pavilion by mike vernon after t-wall's moneyball game winner at the buzzer...check out the clip of coach webster (currently working as a nba scout) doing the happy dance, he's a couple feet left of center court near the scorer's table...the shockster gave coach a quick shoulder hug that nite (definitely did not dance with him, no that did not happen)

stormin' the floor, that **** is fun

http://blog.sfgate.com/cal/2015/02/06/gifs-looking-at-tyrone-wallaces-shot-and-the-ensuing-celebration/

the happy dance (the magic of cal basketball)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

real talk: curvy brunette yoga females from academically mediocre schools wanna date & marry cal, stanford & ivy league grads when they enter the real world

matt bradley is not gonna get this option after the ball stops bouncing for him (multiple nba scouts have told me that he got no nba upside: lacks a handle, the foot speed to defend in the league & the length to create his own shot) but the pep boys near the gaslight district is apparently training supervisors so he got that going for him if gets a good break here & there

so it's kinda sad when dumb azzs send matt bradley best wishes for not earning a degree from the #1 ranked public university in the world, it's about as stoopid/clueless as wishing wyking jones good luck in seattle

don't be a dumb azz#
bearister
Do you have any update on Jabari Bird's status that can be served up briefly and clinically? For some reason the internet got walled from the matter a while back. I am a fan of his.
Shocky1
that's kinda a lots of moving parts situation, did provide a brief update of the bird man in the where are the now update
bearister
Shocky1
no
bearister
Found the update in your prior post. Thanks.
HoopDreams
Appreciate Shocky returning, as the constant drone of hearing some people say the same thing over and over and over is getting boring

You can say many things about shocky, but boring is not one of them

We haven't seen this much creativity, humor, and yes ... real inside info on this board in a long time

rkt88edmo
I think it's time for Monster 3 or close to it.

Love the player updates. Nothing could be better for Cal then a young fiery coaching staff full of alums that understand the truth about our school and the lifetime of opportunities it brings.

and seriously F- Milken, thief of the highest order, I have no love for Altman, or pay to play systems, but Milken's worse.
Bobodeluxe
rkt88edmo said:

I think it's time for Monster 3 or close to it.

Love the player updates. Nothing could be better for Cal then a young fiery coaching staff full of alums that understand the truth about our school and the lifetime of opportunities it brings.

and seriously F- Milken, thief of the highest order, I have no love for Altman, or pay to play systems, but Milken's worse.
Why do you hate Murkuh?
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

visited this morning the recently opened nicklaus design group ferry point golf course just outside of nyc with panoramic views of the manhattan skyline

arrive from my hotel by cab at the clubhouse around 7:30 am to stretch & warm up at the practice facility

upon arrival the head golf professional tells me that ferry point's developer donald trump heard that as a golf digest & golf magazine rankings panelist that i had an 8:10 tee time and would i like to play with the donald at 8:20 am instead?

so i say sure, no big deal, let's do this

so we make the introductions on the practice green & the 1st thing i notice is that trump has the weirdest color hair ever (kinda yellow orange) & that he has total man boobs along with an oversized obnoxious red cap

i walk (riding in a golf cart is character flaw) & carry my lightweight leather mackzenie bag while the donald drives a golf cart literally to within 6 inches of every green...just as annoyingly, we then proceed to play thru every group on the golf course in front of us (why does he do this, why not just take the 1st tee time?)...it's funny to watch people's reactions as he dictates the playing thru, some golfers are understandably agitated while others want a selfie with him on their phones, he very clearly enjoys all the drama he's created

so he tells while we wait for the short par 4 8th green to clear that he thinks ferry point is one of the greatest golf courses in the united states (it isn't, there are at least a dozen courses on long island & the hamptons that are significantly better) & that he's qualified to make that statement because of his extensive travels around the globe playing golf, that nobody knows golf architecture better than him & that includes actual golf architects

so in front of his 2 buddies & his cart caddie i tell the donald that actually i'm one of the 13 guys (and the youngest) to have played the world top 100 courses & stare him down...total silence, one of his buddies who is the chairman of macys starts to laugh, & donald play punches my shoulder kinda hard, he's been pwned...whatever

dude is an interesting guy but playing golf with him is not really a celebration of the game but more like riding a roller coaster

you're fired, shocky#
re: wyking jones, "terrific guy, knows the game, will do well at uw"
"not gonna lie, this is a great move by Matt Bradley"

let's be real ******* clear here, the monster is not a fan of fake news

did you lie to anybody today?#
bearister
Shocky1
bearister, your accurate kinda funny non profane description of melania trump has been deleted by the censor

the monster was also censored back in the day in an effort to placate wyking jones, replace the shockster with a fake news guy & sell premium subscriptions to this site: https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/28431/0

how did this work out?

the bears have lost 84 basketball games in the last 4 years, 4 & 5 star high school prospects are no longer reading cal's monster class, attendance has plummeted from over 10k during the shockster stormin' the court days to near record lows, floor seat donors like myself have walked away from the program & energy/excitement surrounding the program is waning...got no idea if more premium subscriptions got sold as planned but judging by the fact that this board has deteriorated to 29 active posters (cal's monster class readers do not post here), probably not...and still the cal's monster class & deux views during this 4 year period of zero new content went from 3 million to 4 million plus

it's kinda amazing that this would happen in berkeley, the epicenter of the free speech movement, a place that has a long history of social change & civil rights activism

my name is shocky & i am hopeful...gonna get to noon yoga today, walk a quick 18 afterwards & then hike with my rescue dog pack up the mountain this evening to check out the desert sunset

namaste

bill aka shocky
bearister
" ..bearister, your accurate kinda funny non profane description of melania trump has been deleted by the censor."

In fairness to the Mods, I self censored that comment in one of my rare moments of clarity. The Mods have a lot of flex. You really have to cross the line for them to pop you....and it is a forgiving line...just read any of helltopay1's comments.
socaltownie
Shocky1 said:

bearister, your accurate kinda funny non profane description of melania trump has been deleted by the censor

the monster was also censored back in the day in an effort to placate wyking jones, replace the shockster with a fake news guy & sell premium subscriptions to this site: https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/28431/0

how did this work out?

the bears have lost 84 basketball games in the last 4 years, 4 & 5 star high school prospects are no longer reading cal's monster class, attendance has plummeted from over 10k during the shockster stormin' the court days to near record lows, floor seat donors like myself have walked away from the program & energy/excitement surrounding the program is waning...got no idea if more premium subscriptions got sold as planned but judging by the fact that this board has deteriorated to 29 active posters (cal's monster class readers do not post here), probably not...and still the cal's monster class & deux views during this 4 year period of zero new content went from 3 million to 4 million plus

it's kinda amazing that this would happen in berkeley, the epicenter of the free speech movement, a place that has a long history of social change & civil rights activism

my name is shocky & i am hopeful...gonna get to noon yoga today, walk a quick 18 afterwards & then hike with my rescue dog pack up the mountain this evening to check out the desert sunset

namaste

bill aka shocky
Get those hikes in now my friend. Soon you will find out why all the cool people in Arizona vacation on the coast near where our good friend Cam. Rooks still surfs. #lovemeswamis
bearister
Yep. I played The Boulders in late April, 1989. I was so disoriented on the back 9 from the heat that I felt like a French Foreign Legionnaire lost during desert maneuvers.

socaltownie
bearister said:

Yep. I played The Boulders in late April, 1989. I was so disoriented on the back 9 from the heat that I felt like a French Foreign Legionnaire lost during desert maneuvers.

Humans should not live in the valley of the sun. Probably won't in 30 years given global climate change ;-(
Big C

Shocky, during your "absence", how closely were you paying attention to California Basketball and, more to the point, what do you think of Fox, of Fox's hiring and of the process with which Knowlton hired Fox? I hate to dampen my own enthusiasm, but right now all I see ahead is an eleven month holding pattern. Thanks and I will take my answer off the air, if not right here.

Edit: Many thanks for the PM!
Shocky1
major recruiting update:

big miss for mark fox & his staff this week in not signing georgia's 5 star jabri abdur rahim who is transferring from virginia to georgia, there are not many legit nba baller talents with high gpas that got both parents as cal grads (jabri was born around the corner from berkeley in mountain view)
https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/28431/42

coach webster told me back in the day that they anticipated closing on jabri with jaylen brown helping to close the deal just like he did with 5 star georgia wide receiver demetris robertson...yeah i made jaylen promise me that he would call demetris back, after robertson announced for the bears coach peeler called me to thank me for the assist in lighting a fire under my yoga buddy, it's all about teamwork baby (connecting the dots)
https://bearinsider.com/forums/3/topics/11616/320

in recruiting elite talent to the #1 ranked public university in the world you gotta use every possible (legal) advantage to its fullest extent including cal's monster class, that's not really happening right now...jim mcgill is a tremendous recruiting asset for the football program with his ability to build trusting relationships with prospects during his interviews, coach wilcox & his staff understand that jim's work is favorably impacting the program

bears fans would've hoped that after many years as the head coach of georgia that mark fox would've built meaningful relationships with jabri, dee dee & shareef

fake news alert: releasing a list of top 100 talent that isn't seriously considering cal (other than campolindo's aidan mahaney, the high bb iq distributor with vision does not have an actionable offer from stanford-adam cohen is a tremendous recruiter, st marys is also in play with their recruiting pitch being a guarantee that he will start as a freshman in moraga) is not gonna get it done, sorry max

Shocky1
on another thread chapman is gone (who is kinda obsessed like fconcord tom & stanford jonah with me in a weird unhealthy way, if you told me that the 3 of them room together at the vacaville home , i would believe you

so that's kinda funny because in real life taylor is often stopped & told by strangers that she kinda looks like megan fox or madison beer...decide for yourself, here's her instagram @taylorschulzz: https://www.instagram.com/taylorschulzz/?hl=en

taylor & her dads are mutts/black beetles, we got a little bit of everything

and we bonded during our travels to cal basketball (there's nothing more fun that stormin' the floor with your kids), wouldn't trade those experiences for anything in the world...ok, maybe another selfie

the magic of cal basketball (share it with your family#

Bobodeluxe
As others have noted, it's nice to have you back, even in a much lower volume than the last few months of your earlier run. My impression is that your extreme frustration with the state of the program, so soon after the heights of the undefeated home season, just became too great, and you needed a break from we Debbie downers.

Anyway, I hate the desert.
BearGreg
Staff
Always good to have more discussion about Men's basketball. And Shocky has always been welcome here so long as he abides by the same code of conduct everyone else does. That means no personal attacks, no overt sexism, and not sharing unsubstantiated rumors that can be harmful to former, current Cal players, coaches and administrators.

We will from time to time add some additional perspective to make sure folks have a more complete view of things. A couple things I will say on that front:

- Theo is a great former Cal Bear and has a tremendous career in front of him as a coach. However, he was not perfect when he came into Cal. First off he was not someone Wyking choose to have on his staff, the hire was foisted on him. Secondly, Theo struggled being the low assistant on the totem pole and pushed back on some of the duties that entailed. That said, Wyking, as he did elsewhere in the program, made a mess of the situation.
- Wyking is a good human being. A stand up guy with good intentions. He was over his head and was put in a position to fail by Mike Williams. From Paris Austin to Matt Bradley, the vast majority of the players who played for Coach Jones felt emotionally close to Wyking and trusted and liked him a lot as a human being. He was also not a fan of the Monster Thread and had some feedback about it from former players and former players families that was not positive. When we purchased Bear Insider, I had more critical mail about the Monster Thread then any other topic. At the same time, it was very popular. As with all things in life, people are not perfect nor is any message board thread.
- Cuonzo Martin left Cal for a lot of different reasons, not the least of which was the substantial salary increase he got at Missouri and the more lenient academic requirements for recruits. Based on many conversations with Coach Martin, thhe issue with his son not being admitted to Cal was not among the top 5 reasons he didn't stay.
- Our policies about editing and deleting posts here as well as banning users are well understood by this community and since the sites traffic has increased by almost 20% since we took over, apparently we've done okay with this approach. Our feelings are not hurt by being called "censors" though it's not exactly in good taste.
- The younger Abdur-Rahim never had serious interest in Cal, when coming out of HS and now has a transfer. He wanted to stay on the East Coast.
- Ashwin Puri was not soley focused on Musselman, though it is true they had a prior relationship and that he supported his candidacy. I agree with Shocky that he would not have been a good fit here thought he's clearly an exceptional coach. To criticize Ashwin is to miss the Elephant in the room which is Mike Williams and his agenda as the AD when Martin left. Ashwin's efforts were akin to rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.
- The notion or implication that Mark Fox was dirty at any time in his career including at Georgia is flat out wrong and misguided.

It's always a good reminder that we can use the word AND in life. Wyking Jones was a bad hire who failed miserably at Cal AND he is a very solid human being who was well liked and respected by almost everyone around him. Mark Fox is currently struggling at Cal and our program lacks fan interest and enthusiasm AND he would never cheat to win. Theo Robertson was a Cal great, a young and talented coach AND he was put in a terrible situation by Mike Williams which both he and Wyking Jones did not handle well.

More important than all of the above is that Cal basketball is now in year four of a truly sad situation. Fan support is abysmal, the program is in dire need of a practice facility at a time when donor interest is not high. Mark Fox is our coach and hopefully he will add two strong transfers this Spring/Summer and we will see a strong year in 2021-22. If not, it will be time to discuss a change in leadership and ideally a coach who is a strong natural recruiter and who makes energizing Cal's fan and donor base a top priority.
CoffeeBear
If y'all really don't tolerate personal attacks, I would hope you'd enforce that policy with regards to the poster on the WJ thread that was so inappropriate with comments about Shocky's kid. Way wrong, imho
Shocky1
jaylen brown told many of his teammates & me that georgia offered him $200k (among the many other offers both he & ivan rabb got unsolicited)

there was zero ambiguity re: this offer & can be easily verified directly with jaylen
BigDaddy
BearGreg said:

More important than all of the above is that Cal basketball is now in year four of a truly sad situation.
Fan support is abysmal, the program is in dire need of a practice facility at a time when donor interest is not high. Mark Fox is our coach and hopefully he will add two strong transfers this Spring/Summer and we will see a strong year in 2021-22. If not, it will be time to discuss a change in leadership and ideally a coach who is a strong natural recruiter and who makes energizing Cal's fan and donor base a top priority.
That conversation about change in leadership should be happening now, and if it isn't. this program is in much deeper trouble that I thought.
“My tastes are simple; I am easily satisfied with the best.” - Winston Churchill
Shocky1
it is absolutely fake news to say wyking jones is a good human being, perhaps you feel that way because he worked with you to censor cal's monster class to move the trajectory of the cal basketball program to one that you both could agree upon
Shocky1
ashwin puri has directly told me during his time now with the oakland a's that in retrospect he made a mistake in singularly focusing on eric musselman, do you have the ability to read his inner mind beyond even his own thoughts & words?
Shocky1
reread the 1st link in my post above re: rahim, "jabri told josh gershon that...i've always pictured myself moving back to california"...are you saying you got inside information that goes beyond the recruits own words?

and now your selling the narrative that it's not the staff's fault (which is a common theme with you), it's because he wanted to stay on the east coast (in what world is atlanta truly on the east coast?)

reality is that mark fox did not build a trusting relationship with the family during his georgia days & now shareef (who mentored jaylen) and brown are not gonna send jabri to cal despite everybody in the family's love & respect for berkeley academics
Shocky1
you had a fake relationship with coach martin if he didn't share with you that roberta calls the shots in the martin family & that when joshua was not accepted by cal admissions she was done with berkeley (piedmont)

this was the driving force (which could've been avoided by a competent ad at the time) that drove the martin family decision, a fact that has been confirmed to me by my boys coach webster & christopher nicodemus

your narrative kinda sounds like something out calbears.com, bland & uninformative
First Page Last Page
Page 329 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.