cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,292,140 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
NVBear78
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Bonus points to the Shockster for mention of NVBear78's alma mater, Vintage High School.

And kudo's for all the great insights into the program, at this moment you have partially mollified concern number one:

Cobb's health status after the broker foot in SF Pro Am (Cobb's will be fine per JJ).

But concern number two lingers.......

What about Ricky Kreklow's health status? The last detailed report with all of the inside scoop on his foot condition from family members reminded me of Brennan Scarlett's "hand that will not heal" injury.

And for even more bonus points would love to hear the Shocksters predictions on production for Solomon, Kravish and Rooks after the summer of strength and conditioning work with ground control to Major Thom and whether he expects any of the fab five recruits to redshirt? I personally hope they all play including luc moute a bidias.

hmmm, now starting to get concerned about lack of commentary by the indefatigueable Shocky about concern number two and the status of Ricky Kreklow's health..
Shocky1

"you have no childhood if you don't watch spongebob!!!!"

-k(rooks)

krusty krab restaurant#
NeverOddOrEven
concordtom;842179293 said:

Yeah, I had sushi at the Northwestern game....
Either:
a) they changed the sushi vendor, or
b) the University Club gets different sushi than the Stadium Club, or
c) coming from the desert, you don't know your sushi.

And, oh yeah, since the Stadium Club seats are about $5k per season, and there are 6 home games, that's $833 per game. That makes it very easy to eat $100 of "free" sushi!

Nice math there, buddy. Try $278 per game. $75000 / 45 years / 6 games (although 6 games is also suspect, as the number of games tends to increase over time and even with 12 games, the average may well be over 6 per season)
concordtom
NeverOddOrEven;842179707 said:

Nice math there, buddy. Try $278 per game. $75000 / 45 years / 6 games (although 6 games is also suspect, as the number of games tends to increase over time and even with 12 games, the average may well be over 6 per season)

Both our figures, 5k and 75k, can be found on this website. The diff is year by year vs longterm plans. Why attack me?

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=208202648

If you consider that your 75k can be deducted from income tax as a contribution to the university, and if you take into consideration a reasonable expected rate of inflation, your per game ticket price drops a hell of a lot less than 278! In fact, future ticket prices would be considered downright cheap. I ran a very lengthy and detailed spreadsheet on all ticket packages extrapolated over 50 years, with levers for inflation rate, and tax bracket. Let me know if you want more specifics. I did the math.
HoopDreams
hoops board. hoops topic.
feel free to discuss on the other board
please

concordtom;842179817 said:

Both our figures, 5k and 75k, can be found on this website. The diff is year by year vs longterm plans. Why attack me?

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=208202648

If you consider that your 75k can be deducted from income tax as a contribution to the university, and if you take into consideration a reasonable expected rate of inflation, your per game ticket price drops a hell of a lot less than 278! In fact, future ticket prices would be considered downright cheap. I ran a very lengthy and detailed spreadsheet on all ticket packages extrapolated over 50 years, with levers for inflation rate, and tax bracket. Let me know if you want more specifics. I did the math.
south bender
HoopDreams;842180182 said:

hoops board. hoops topic.
feel free to discuss on the other board
please

Yes, indeed!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842172152 said:

the cal bb staff continues to relentelssly bring in 2015 & 2016 players for unofficial visits with 3 more sacramento hs studs visiting berkeley last weekend

*****solomon young 6'6" 215 lbs 2016 power forward with a nonstop motor

*****christian terell 6'3" 2016 point guard with superior size

*****tre finch 5'10" 2016 emerging point guard

with reinjured malik pope & rising stock dj wilson key targets for cal's 2014 monster class, sacramento continues to be a critical recruiting region for the bears

50 yr decision#
sacramento mayor kevin johnson, cal grad & $30+m nba earnings#
ryan anderson, 1st team all pac 12 at cal & $10+m nba earnings#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento, elk grove, el dorado hills, etc.)

"amazing, simply the best two years of my life...loved being a bear!...had amazing teammates and friends and the staff was top notch"

50 yr friendships#
cal family#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

Shocky1
Shocky1;842153945 said:

check out the seriously unhappy dude with his hands on his head in the ugly yellow shirt in the upper left center of the photo

fun times for mr black jacket in the center of the photo who's about to hurl into his right hand

also gotta love the cute brunette duck cheerleader pumping her pom poms in support of jc's ice in his veins buzzer beating game winner...i dunno maybe she's just smiling cuz she's checking out david kravish's package (real talk, that's how the real world works, hot girls from dumb azz schools try to date & marry cal guys when they leave school, cal grads hold all the cards)

thx to my current 1st wife mrs shockster (asu) for it support

view to a kill#
this is cal basketball#

http://www.ibabuzz.com/beartalk/2013/09/18/basketball-cobbs-recovery-going-well/#more-39170

rust never sleeps#
the grind#
HoopDreams
Shocky1
Shocky1;842174486 said:

roaring bears welcome to thomas welsh who is arriving tonight from los angeles into berkeley for his official visit

welsh is an strong cal fit as a 2014 top 50 recruit & best big man on the west coast along with a rocking 3.7 gpa at the academically dynamic loyola hs

coach gregg gottlieb was the 1st individual from a big time program to scout & correctly recognize tw's talents which resulted in the bears being the 1st major program to offer thomas

thomas welsh=ideal cal student athlete

cal family#

thomas welsh and his mom & dad visited berkeley last weekend for tw's 1st official visit...welsh will be touring ucla this weekend & colorado on oct 5th...tw has indicated he might commit during the early signing period before his sr season at loyola commences

a key factor in welsh's recruitment is his interest in potentially majoring in business...cal's haas undergraduate business school (the shockster's springboard) is consistently ranked in the top 3 in the nation...both ucla & stanford do not have undergraduate b-schools, one must major in economics which is a less than an optimal area of study if one is pursuing a well rounded foundation for killing it in biz down the road

welsh toured campus on fri & visited with haas b-school profs along with academic advisors...thomas also watched the fight on tv with the team in the bears locker room sat nite...tw played in pick up games fri & sat with the current bears, moreau catholic studs 2016 wing oscar frayer (staff has compared his game to alan crabbe) & 2017 pg damari milstead & potential mcdonalds all american distributor & facilitator amhaad rorie

welsh (3.7 gpa) on rorie (3.6 gpa): "he's a great guy and in the short time i had to get to know him, i really enjoyed spending time with him"

relentless recruiter & bears big man coach gregg gottlieb flew down to la this tues to visit with thomas & follow up on his official visit to cal

business matters#
cal family#

Shocky1
HoopDreams;842156814 said:

Rorie and his Mom (as he leaves for Florida)

ahmaad rorie's mom rhonetta thomas re: their 3rd trip to berkeley, a "great time," and she enjoyed visiting with thomas welsh's parents along with the cal coaches again

ahmaad rorie: "had a great weekend!...my official went great"

favorite monster class quote: "won't feel satisfied until moms stops workin"-ahmaad rorie

one love#
50 yr decision#
cal family#

petalumabear
More good info as usual shocky. Thanks.

#keepitcoming

:Monty
SoCalBear323
Great updates!
HoopDreams
Welsh visiting ucla today
I think it's between Cal, ucla and stanford
I can't see him going to Colo
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842166215 said:

The Original Monster Class

50 yr friendships#
cal family#
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842180325 said:

gq#
50 yr friendships#
cal family#
HoopDreams
...up close

Shocky1
Shocky1;842175363 said:

bryce alford tweeted: "i'm a pg, that's what i do"

mystery solved, nobody wants to compete with the coach's son for pt at pg at ucla...velma, daphne, shaggy, scooby & gang can go to bed now

rorie=cal
jackson-cartwright=arizona
cartwright=stanford
perkins=gonzaga
mclaughlin=usc
snider=illinois

therefore the bruins currently will not have a pg on the roster except bryce, the slowest pg in d1 bb

with no pg, 20+ losses is a definite possibility for the once storied ucla program in 2014

i dunno, maybe thomas welsh is being recruited as a 7' pg...

this is ucla basketball#
ruh roh#

did you see the notice placed in this weekend's los angeles times?

University of California Los Angeles is seeking a point guard for its men's intercollegiate basketball team.

Qualified applicants will be:

1) In possession of a GED or better educational background
2) Be taller than 5'6" as measured in basketball shoes
3) Willing to perform back up duties relative to a key employee's son
4) No felony convictions

Applicants that have thrown chairs at their coaches and/or reneged on current LOI's to other NCAA institutions will not be disqualified.

Successful candidate will receive parking privileges and be eligible for the Sam Gilbert financial compensation package.

Smog mask not included.

this is ucla basketball#
ruh roh#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842173408 said:

according to ivan rabb, his mom's preference is that he "stay kind of close"

mom matters#

my current take is that ivan's recruitment at the end of the day will be a cal vs arizona battle tbd a little over a yr from now but that every major program will offer rabb between now & then

kinda ironic that future las vegas transfer marcus lee has already been recruited over for 2013, karl towns & likely another superstar taking his pt in 2014 and coach cal trying to lure rabb to lexington for 2015

but you can get really, really good practicing as a scrub for the wildcats...so you have that for sure, playing in actual bb games is pretty overrated in terms of nba development...and then there's always the backup career opportunity as a kentucky/las vegas grad at the oakland airport rental car center too

the grind#
50 yr decision#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842168072 said:

richard solomon is now 240 lbs & david kravish is now 230 lbs per s&c drill master scott thom

they both now (finally) have the hardened bodies necessary to dominate in the pac 12 if they can bring a relentless mental toughness every single game

solo has a bb career beyond this year (perhaps even in the nba if he can channel the unbreakable mindset he brought to the syracuse ncca game)...professionals don't pick & choose when they are going to show up or whine at the refs or pick up ticky tack stooopid fouls (and then sit on the bench)

2012 pac 12 rebounding leaders:

1) andre roberson (nba) colorado 11.3 rpg
2) eric moreland (academically ineligible) oregon state 10.6 rpg
3) arsalan kazemi (nba) oregon 9.5 rpg
4) josh huestis stanford 9.3 rpg
5) aziz n'diaye (europe) washington 9.2 rpg
6) kyle anderson ucla 8.6 rpg
7) carrick felix (nba) arizona state 8.2 rpg
7) dwight powell stanford 8.2 rpg
9) dwayne deadman (not drafted) usc 7.0 rpg
9) jordan loveridge utah 7.0 rpg
11) david kravish cal 6.9 rpg
12) jason washburn (europe) utah 6.8 rpg
13) desmond simmons washington 6.6 rpg
13) richard solomon cal 6.6 rpg

in order for the bears to rock a monster 2013 season both solo & doc kravish need to be in the top 5 for pac 12 rebounding with a menacing demeanor

kameron rooks & jabari bird also need to clean the glass for the bears

no more mr nice guys#
jailbreak#
the grind#

"tunnel vision on this road to greatness...by the end of november people gonna start treating me different"

solo is ready to rumble

let's roll#
no regrets#
the grind#

socaltownie
Because I am a sucker for redemption stories I am really rooting for Richard this year. He has a lot of the tools that could make for a special player at this level.
Shocky1
name: chris egi

hometown: toronto, canada

family's origin: nigeria

class: 2014 (reclassified from 2015)

gpa: 4.0 (canadian 95% avg)

intended college major: business

height: 6'9"

weight: 210 lbs

position: power 4 could slide to 5

sr yr hs: montverde academy (florida)

family: mom & dad
older brother (played bb)
younger sister (starting to play bb)
most of family in nigeria

cal unofficial: none

cal official: oct 11-13th

college visits: cal oct 11-13th
harvard sept 28th
vanderbilt oct 3rd
stanford oct 24th
washington oct 26th

cal bb staff visits: travis decuire recently visited egi's mom & dad in toronto which resulted in cal receiving ce's 5th official visit...both td & mike montgomery will be traveling to visit with egi in person on sept 24th

cal connections:
ahmaad rorie-"he does a lot of good things on the basketball court...he's not selfish at all so you always want to play with guys like that...plus he's just a good guy"
travis decuire-"i talk to him almost every day"

shockster overview: graceful & powerful, egi is a canadian national team player and is not a project...egi's family stresses academics and chris is interested in majoring in business (harvard & stanford do not offer undergraduate business programs)...playing with faciltator/distributor ahmaad rorie & going to school every day with the bear's future pg might be the wildcard factor in egi's recruitment

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including nigeria & canada)

Shocky1
Best Undergraduate Business Programs Rankings

These undergrad business programs were ranked solely on a peer assessment survey conducted in spring 2013.

University of Pennsylvania
Philadelphia, PA

Founded by Benjamin Franklin, the University of Pennsylvania is a private institution in the University City neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pa. Students can study in one of four schools that grant undergraduate degrees: Arts and Sciences, Nursing, Engineering and Applied Sciences, and Wharton.

University of California--Berkeley
Berkeley, CA

The University of California—Berkeley overlooks the San Francisco Bay in Berkeley, Calif. Students at this public school have more than 700 organizations to get involved in at the top ranked public university in the world.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Cambridge, MA

Though the Massachusetts Institute of Technology may be best known for its math, science, and engineering education, this private research university also offers architecture, humanities, management, and social science programs. The school is located in Cambridge, Mass., just across the Charles River from downtown Boston.

University of Michigan--Ann Arbor
Ann Arbor, MI

A public institution, University of Michigan--Ann Arbor was founded in 1817. University of Michigan--Ann Arbor offers a Greek system, where 21 percent of the student body is involved in a sorority and 16 percent is involved in a fraternity.

New York University
New York, NY

New York University has a total undergraduate enrollment of 22,498, with a gender distribution of 39.9 percent male students and 60.1 percent female students.

University of Virginia
Charlottesville, VA

Founded in 1819, University of Virginia is a public institution. University of Virginia follows a semester-based academic calendar and its admissions are considered most selective.

University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill
Chapel Hill, NC

University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill is a public institution that was founded in 1789. The school has 36.5 percent of its classes with fewer than 20 students, and the student-faculty ratio at University of North Carolina--Chapel Hill is 14:1.

Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA

Carnegie Mellon University, a private institution in Pittsburgh, Pa., is the country’s only school founded by industrialist and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The school specializes in academic areas including engineering, business, computer science, and fine arts.

University of Texas--Austin
Austin, TX

A public institution, University of Texas--Austin was founded in 1883. University of Texas--Austin offers a Greek system, where 4.9 percent of the student body is involved in a sorority and 3.4 percent is involved in a fraternity.

Cornell University
Ithaca, NY

Cornell University, a private school in Ithaca, N.Y., started the country’s first colleges for hotel administration, industrial and labor relations, and veterinary medicine. Cornell now offers a wide variety of undergraduate programs and runs interdisciplinary research centers for nanotechnology, supercomputing, and more.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842118971 said:

as the video clearly reveals, cb is a highly articulate & engaging true student athlete

cb had 3.5 gpa & served on the school leadership team at tahoma in the drizzly northwest before bringing his 30' vj & 80' wingspan to berkeley

what you may not know about cb is that his dad bj died at their maple valley home following a 16 month battle against brain cancer on feb 19, 2010

christian has said of his father "i know he's looking down at me...i know he's proud and that's what i'm trying to do every day in what i do, make him proud"

no doubt, bj & mom andrea are very proud of their exceptional son, a true golden bear student athlete

cb's gf is the cute laura rayfield of the oregon state soccer program...warning: very dangerous when bears & beavers cross pollinate across species

family matters#
fly with the bird#
represent the bay#
ff/nc in 2015#

the university of california, berkelely=#1 public university in the world

"proud to say i just completed my first team practice post surgery!...i keep trying because i want to...i don't want to think about not having to try anymore"

the grind#
boats against the current#
unbreakable#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842123311 said:

kaileb update: kr will be joining the wyoming sheridan jc generals next season

sheridan jc mens bb hc steve smiley says "kaileb is another crucial piece of our recruiting puzzle and we are really happy that he choose to become a member of the general's family...kaileb has truly transformed his body and will have a chance to be a special player in our program before moving back to the d1 level in the near future"

cj box/joe pickett get it done#
work hard, die last#

kaileb rodriguez is a commit to nevada

kap the wolfpack#
Shocky1
NVBear78;842179412 said:

Bonus points to the Shockster for mention of NVBear78's alma mater, Vintage High School.

And kudo's for all the great insights into the program, at this moment you have partially mollified concern number one:

Cobb's health status after the broker foot in SF Pro Am (Cobb's will be fine per JJ).

But concern number two lingers.......

What about Ricky Kreklow's health status? The last detailed report with all of the inside scoop on his foot condition from family members reminded me of Brennan Scarlett's "hand that will not heal" injury.

And for even more bonus points would love to hear the Shocksters predictions on production for Solomon, Kravish and Rooks after the summer of strength and conditioning work with ground control to Major Thom and whether he expects any of the fab five recruits to redshirt? I personally hope they all play including luc moute a bidias.

hmmm, now starting to get concerned about lack of commentary by the indefatigueable Shocky about concern number two and the status of Ricky Kreklow's health..

scott thom told me that ricky kreklow is evolving into an intense leader and with respects to s&c work is "really getting after guys"...also when ahmaad rorie & thomas welsh played in the pick up games on their official visits it was ricky organizing the squads...he is truly the son of coaches, wayne & susan kreklow of missouri's wvb program

justin cobbs on kr: "people are going to finally see ricky kreklow for the type of player he is because he's not going to have to worry about that foot...he's jorge with a little jumper"

ricky don't lose that number#
the grind#
unbreakable#

south bender
Shocky1;842183444 said:

scott thom told me that ricky kreklow is evolving into an intense leader and with respects to s&c work is "really getting after guys"..

justin cobbs on kr: "people are going to finally see ricky kreklow for the type of player he is because he's not going to have to worry about that foot...he's jorge with a little jumper"

ricky don't lose that number#
the grind#
unbreakable#

If Ricky is healthy, that will be great, for him and the team.

If Ricky then is anything close to Jorge, Bear fans will be ecstatic.

Go Bears!
south bender
joshbalt;842183725 said:

According to John Montgomery Ricky Kreklow won the Bear Mile race with a 5:02 time. Seems like his feet must be feeling pretty good.

I love the news, but remember when scrimmaging against cross country guys, who were great runners, that they could not hack it on the court. The muscles used and the movements are so different from straight ahead running.

Will he be able to play basketball and be A-OK?

That is the question.

I hope the answer is a resounding yes!

Go Bears!
smokeyrover

(now updated with new photos since the original post)

stu
south bender;842183730 said:

I love the news, but remember when scrimmaging against cross country guys, who were great runners, that they could not hack it on the court. The muscles used and the movements are so different from straight ahead running.

I have no doubt Kerklow can hack it on the court, and a good motor is a great asset in basketball.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842153945 said:

check out the seriously unhappy dude with his hands on his head in the ugly yellow shirt in the upper left center of the photo

fun times for mr black jacket in the center of the photo who's about to hurl into his right hand

also gotta love the cute brunette duck cheerleader pumping her pom poms in support of jc's ice in his veins buzzer beating game winner...i dunno maybe she's just smiling cuz she's checking out david kravish's package (real talk, that's how the real world works, hot girls from dumb azz schools try to date & marry cal guys when they leave school, cal grads hold all the cards)

thx to my current 1st wife mrs shockster (asu) for it support

view to a kill#
this is cal basketball#

per jeff faraudo mike montgomery expect justin cobbs to be back in time for the bears opener on nov 8th vs cop a feel state

"he not a month and a half away...i don't have an exact date but much quicker than that...he's just doing great"

the grind#
unbreakable#
south bender
Shocky1;842184107 said:

per jeff faraudo mike montgomery expect justin cobbs to be back in time for the bears opener on nov 8th vs cop a feel state

"he not a month and a half away...i don't have an exact date but much quicker than that...he's just doing great"

the grind#
unbreakable#

Risking perhaps my membership in the Sunshine Pumpers Club, I point out that we were receiving similar news about Kreklow last year before his ill timed early return.

Let's hope Monty the doctors, and trainers err on the side of caution with Justin.

Go Bears!
SFBearz
Shocky1;842180776 said:

thomas welsh and his mom & dad visited berkeley last weekend for tw's 1st official visit...welsh will be touring ucla this weekend & colorado on oct 5th...tw has indicated he might commit during the early signing period before his sr season at loyola commences

a key factor in welsh's recruitment is his interest in potentially majoring in business...cal's haas undergraduate business school (the shockster's springboard) is consistently ranked in the top 3 in the nation...both ucla & stanford do not have undergraduate b-schools, one must major in economics which is a less than an optimal area of study if one is pursuing a well rounded foundation for killing it in biz down the road

welsh toured campus on fri & visited with haas b-school profs along with academic advisors...thomas also watched the fight on tv with the team in the bears locker room sat nite...tw played in pick up games fri & sat with the current bears, moreau catholic studs 2016 wing oscar frayer (staff has compared his game to alan crabbe) & 2017 pg damari milstead & potential mcdonalds all american distributor & facilitator amhaad rorie

welsh (3.7 gpa) on rorie (3.6 gpa): "he's a great guy and in the short time i had to get to know him, i really enjoyed spending time with him"

relentless recruiter & bears big man coach gregg gottlieb flew down to la this tues to visit with thomas & follow up on his official visit to cal

business matters#
cal family#

Somehow, Ucla made up a lot of ground with Welsh and seemingly has the momentum. It appears Cal is in good shape with Diallo though. Have to go all out for Egi.
tsubamoto2001
SFBearz;842184338 said:

Somehow, Ucla made up a lot of ground with Welsh and seemingly has the momentum. It appears Cal is in good shape with Diallo though. Have to go all out for Egi.

There's supposedly some pressure from his family (they roll deep) to stay close to home. He hasn't even turned in his Stanford application, so it looks like a Cal-UCLA battle right now.
Shocky1
HoopDreams;842178894 said:

this is a magical foto of mysterious intrigue & aura as jabari bird dangerously flies thru the san francisco bay area skies on a dark & stormy night

one of my favorite movies is m night shyamalan's (the sixth sense) unbreakable...unbreakable (with samuel jackson & bruce willis) is about good vs evil, superheroes vs arch villains, and hope vs despair...it raises the questions can ordinary people do amazing things?...are we all capable of being heroes?...why is alford so creepy?

justin cobbs, ricky kreklow & christian behrens are all unbreakable

hopefully the bears will schedule a movie night to view this important epic message together

fly with the bird#
the grind#
unbreakable#

First Page Last Page
Page 39 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.