cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,801 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
antipattern;842205448 said:

I loved that movie as well, but I'm not sure why you'd want Roger's thoughts on it. I hope it's not because you think it's of local interest to him, because Cape Town is about as local to Cameroon as San Francisco is to Guatemala.

ap, how many times have you traveled to africa?

searching for sugar man is not only a story of an individual's triumphant perseverance but also about race relations in south africa which is symbiotic of africa as a whole

glad to hear you loved the movie too

http://videosift.com/video/Live-On-Letterman-Rodriguez

update: ap's parents are from south africa
Shocky1
Shocky1;842204464 said:

look carefully at these guys, their eyes & comfortable body language with each other

the monster class guys truly like each other

what is a monster class?

all of these guys are strong students & true student athletes...there are no dumb azzs in this group

all of these guys have an edge to them (just like their coaches partcularly mr cranky pants)

what edge u talkin about shockster?

*****jordan mathews-disrespected by every recruiting service despite being the ocean league mvp & volume scorer@santa monica...recruiting analyst josh gershon told me 7 months ago that among west coast shooting guards that zach lavine, marcus allen, isaac hamilton & darin johnson "all definitely have more scoring upside than jordan mathews"...wonder if gershon saw jm light it up as the bears leading scorer in sat's scrimmage?

*****kameron rooks-given a backhanded compliment by arizona's sean miller...k(rooks) was offered a scholly by the wildcats but told he would need to redshirt his 1st yr in tuscon...well guess what, mr former fat boy has worked his azz off to lose signficant weight and transform his body (kudos to scott thom too) & now looks the part of a pac 12 stud like his dad sean

*****roger moute a bidias-growing up in cameroon, rmab has seen poverty & injustices that most americans can't possibly imagine...look at the map of africa & then think about roger's journey to america to pursue his basketball & academic dreams...doesn't hurt that his bro if one of the true dirty work hard azz enforcers in the nba

*****sam singer-sammy has heard all the snickers, how can a jewish guy from florida with zippo suntan that played against rinky dink opponents play in the pac 12?...and then mr gonna be fired after this season johnny dawkins took the allen twins instead of firming up singer's stanford non actionable offer?...do you think ss might want to clownpunk jd & the cards this season?

*****jabari bird-tired of playing 2nd fiddle to non student athlete aaron gordon..."aaron is a good friend of mine but at the same time i see him as a rival"...guess what, jb is fired up to take on ag & the wildcats after the cal/arizona only matchup last yr resulted in a thrilling bears victory in tuscon...the son of a san quentin employee, jb is not all american candy azz soft, he is mentally tough & wears his grim game face like a competitor

*****ahmaad rorie-a true mama's boy (like the shockster) from a single parent family, ar made the courageous decision to leave behind his one true love in mom & family/friends to travel across the country from tacoma to a cow pasture in florida@monteverde to improve his academic discipline (rorie carried a 3.6 gpa@lincoln) to better prepare himself for cal...ahmaad is mentally nails & a true leader on the floor

if idrissa diallo & thomas welsh this fall and/or sami eleraky & cameron oliver this spring sign with the bears, they will be joining a truly monster class of special guys that are developing 50 yr friendships (shabazzzz need not apply)

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#

shockster, do the 4 key targeted 2014 prospects got an edge too?

*****idrissa diallo-diallo has traveled 6401 miles from senegal to potentially berkeley to pursue his academic & bb dreams...until last weekend's reuinion, idrissa (who speaks 7 languages) had not seen his parents since may of 2011, that's sacrifice & toughness...idy has expressed concerns re: the safety/future of his sisters back in senegal, he's a man on a mission

*****thomas welsh-as recently as spring of this yr, welsh was dismissed by analysts as "lumbering" and most likely a mid major (offers from portland & santa clara) prospect...gregg gottlieb, the 1st coach from a major program to recongize tw's special talents, has encouraged welsh's relentless drive to improve which resulted in him now being recongized as the best center on the west coast for the 2014 class

*****sami eleraky-from denmark to kansas to san francisco and potentially berkeley, waldo is a quiet world traveler who will knock you on your azz when rebounding & pounding it inside the paint...sami is also working an insane academic schedule including sfcc classwork & online classes to fulfill his spring 2014 graduation target date...playing for justin labagh, the winningiest bb hc in history, 87.6% victories, is gonna elevate sami to the next level

*****cameron oliver-over a yr ago, the explosive sacramento combo forward tore his acl causing him to miss his jr season...did he have a pity party?...no, oliver worked harder than ever, "i'm much more mature now"...cameron is also focusing more on his schoolwork & is looking to raise both his chemsitry & english grades to make him eligible for an actionable cal offer this spring

cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#
unbreakable#
tsubamoto2001
Ray Kasongo just recommitted to the Ducks. Does Diallo still visit?
Shocky1

"i always respect single mothers a lot...particularly my own"

mom matters#
cal family#

Shocky1

cal standout & currently professional beach volleyball player morgan beck

married to olympic gold medalist skier bode miller

cal family#

HoopDreams
south bender
Quite a contrasting picture, coming after Shocky's latest attempt to lure the young, testosterone laden recruits.

I think we are going to love Roger!

Go Bears!
Shocky1
pac 12 all academic team & all american on cal's national championship runner up (lost to penn state in the finals) volleyball team

cal family#
50 yr decision#

Shocky1

listen to all american tara murrey passionately speak about her bears teammate carli lloyd, the national player of the year, after their heartbreaking loss to penn state in the finals of the ncaa volleyball championship a few years ago

fast forward to the 9 minute & 20 second mark...emotional fireworks, this is the most epic interview in cal athletics history & reflects the pure unmitigated respect & love of true champions that are willing to take a bullet for their teammates...if you mist up a little watching this, that's ok, let's roll baby

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=207750720

together we attack#
unbreakable#
HoopDreams
The Cal VB team is one of my fav Cal teams, and those two were the heart and soul of the team. Thx for posting Stockster.

Shocky1;842206637 said:

listen to tara murrey speaking about her bears teammate carli lloyd, the national player of the year, after their loss to penn state in the finals

fast forward to the 9 minute & 20 second mark...fireworks

http://www.calbears.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=30100&ATCLID=207750720

cal family#
50 yr friendships#
the grind#
unbreakable#
NYCGOBEARS
HoopDreams;842206557 said:

Very cool pic!
HoopDreams
Shocky1

former cal pf tony gonzalez on the bears 1996 ncaa sweet sixteen team is the greatest te in the history of the nfl: 13 time all pro selection and nft te leader for most tds (107) & reception yds (14,068)

gonzalez's total nfl earnings are $75+m

tony's wife, october, apparently doesn't like to wear furs...who knew

cal family#
50 yr decision#

ianbearnson
HoopDreams;842208178 said:

these uniforms are SICK
south bender
An honor for Singer to wear Jorge's number.

I am wanting to believe his play and attitude will honor it.

Thanks for the picture.

Go Bears!
Shocky1
south bender;842208603 said:

An honor for Singer to wear Jorge's number.

I am wanting to believe his play and attitude will honor it.

Thanks for the picture.

Go Bears!

100% agreed

2011 pac 12 mvp jorge gutierrez is one of the greatest teammates in cal bb history

his road from mexico to berkeley (with a degree) to brooklyn to his next nba roster spot is a tale of relentless perserverance regardless of the odds...and this remarkable story's chapters are still being written daily...

sam singer had better play with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind if he's gonna wear #2

this is cal basketball#
cal family#
the grind#
unbreakable#

Shocky1
http://norcalbasketball.blogspot.com/2013/10/meet-alex-pribble.html

check out kevin mccarthy's highly informative nor cal basketball blog for an update re: former cal walk on (and part time starter) & 2 time all pac 12 academic team alex pribble who is now an asst coach at eastern washington

the only person who has ever transferred (who did not flunk out) from cal to fresno state (gonna guess that no one has ever transferred from harvard to arizona or oregon either) shantay legans is also an asst coach at ew...wonder if shantay's mom susan is still calling the hc with her crazytown advice...i'll bet u $5 the ew hc has an unlisted #

the cal monster class is distinguished not only by its athletically gifted true student athletes with strong academic skills & goals with edgy/fiery competitive personalities but also its engaged but not meddling parents

cal family#

petalumabear
Hey-Zeus Christo Shocky! October reminds me why Fall is my favorite season. Gracias for warming our souls...

:gobears:

:Monty
HoopDreams
Shocky1
Shocky1
Shocky1

"where i like the coaching staff and where the head coach is the main one talking to me so that i know that they really want me...if the head coach is calling, that means you are a priority"

-ivan rabb

calumnus
Shocky1;842208801 said:

the only person who has ever transferred (who did not flunk out) from cal to fresno state (gonna guess that no one has ever transferred from harvard to arizona or oregon either) shantay legans is also an asst coach at ew...wonder if shantay's mom susan is still calling the hc with her crazytown advice...i'll bet u $5 the ew hc has an unlisted #

Dominic McGuire also transferred to Fresno State, right?

Beau Sweeney wanted to (and currently works for Fresno State), but chose Cornell so he wouldn't have to sit out a year?
jyamada
calumnus;842209172 said:

Dominic McGuire also transferred to Fresno State, right?

Beau Sweeney wanted to (and currently works for Fresno State), but chose Cornell so he wouldn't have to sit out a year?

Tremaine Fowlkes also transferred to Fresno State.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842209133 said:

"where i like the coaching staff and where the head coach is the main one talking to me so that i know that they really want me...if the head coach is calling, that means you are a priority"

-ivan rabb

from this morning's arizona republic re: sean miller

"i think reality hit me this year with one of the young people we were recruiting," said miller, just moments after another recruit kadeem allen of hutchinson (kan.) community college, left his office..."i think i saw him play more than 70 times: high school, his travel teams in the spring and summer, all the things we're allowed to go to"

"my wife was around me when that topic came up..i think if you add up the times i've seen my three sons play, i don't know if you can get to a third of it"

ok , so sean miller is a lousy dad to his 3 sons (wonder who is their male role model? the dad next door who actually spends time with miller's boys?) by his own admission & he's not much of a gameday xxx's & ooo's guy either (but he's a terrific recruiter no doubt)

mike montgomery needs to make the short drive to bod at least 10 times this season (+the bod game at haas for the mlk classic) to show his love for ivan...it's really not that complicated

cal family#
the grind includes coaches too#
concordtom
Excellent points. If mm doesn't respond to this telegraph, then that's just plain sad. That said, if you are rated top 10 in your class, isn't it a given that ANY coach is going to REALLY want you and that you would instantly be a focal point of ANY team? ANY coach's plans? In other words, does Rabb seriously need to have head coaches traveling to his games for him to feel loved?

I get it, if you are middling talent and you don't know where you stand, but at some point a coach should be able to say, "okay, son, I don't need to see you play anymore. You are dynamite and we love you. From now on, I'm going to try and appeal to your intellect, rather than your ego, in trying to convince you to come play for me at MY school." said protege should accept that logic and allow coach to spend time making his pitch, not watching. If protege simply needs his ego stroked over and over and over by numerous programs (he can sign with only 1), then what is that going to do for team chemistry of the school he eventually lands at?
Shocky1
Shocky1;842199648 said:

is tw interested in going away to college or does he want to stay home in la?

can tw envision his potential role in alford's 5 wild wings offense with no pg?

in watching ucla's practices, does he really think bryce alford is a legit d1 pg?

do the ucla players truly like each other in the same way that the cal bb players have bonded with one another as a family?

how deep is tw's trust & respect for gregg gottlieb, the 1st coach from a bigtime program to offer & encourage his continued development?

how important is monty's track record of developing big men with his 2 post offensive scheme that is run thru the bigs?

is it acceptable to the welsh family that it is a documented fact that alford protected/enabled a convicted rapist in order to win a few more games and then offered an insincere forced apology (as required by a besieged ucla ad) more than a decade later?

is tw comfortable that cal bb's coaching staff will be in good hands, travis decuire most likely, should monty step down sometime in the future? (it should be noted that montgomery has never indicated any indication he plans to retire, that myth is perpetuated by competing coaches that have been repeatedly clownpunked by monty's xxx's & ooo's)

does thomas really want to study economics (ucla & stanford do not offer an undergraduate biz major) or does he want to potentially earn his degree at the #2 nationally ranked haas business school thereby saving him the expense & time of completing a cal, stanford or ivy league mba program down the road?

50 yr decision#

the west coast's best center in the 2014 class thomas welsh of loyola will be visiting berkeley again this sat nov 2nd to check out the bears practice & get to know his potential future teammates better

with respects to tw's interest in stanford, he is surely evaluating whether or not hc johnny dawkins will lead the cards to the ncaa tnt this spring thereby saving his job for another yr...after missing the ncaa tnt 5 yrs in a row, the pressure is on dawkins to win this season this season (although fan attendance in palo alto is abysmal)

check out the mandate from the stanford ad:
http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/03/16/dawkins-given-one-more-chance/

adios johnny#

Shocky1
noted food critic & volume scorer jordan mathews:

"cafeteria served chicken and waffles...biggest disappointment ever"

iron stomach recipes#
unedible & unbreakable#

Shocky1

former cal all american (and graduate) & phoenix suns all star ($30+m nba earnings) & current mayor of sacramento kevin johnson talks about the importance of a strong hs education:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/28/living/schools-mayors-education/index.html

political analysts speculate that kj's next office may be the governor of california which would then lead to a run for the white house...would be very cool to see a framed portrait of oski in the oval office...how many bb programs (princeton & bill bradley comes to mind) ever have produced a potential future candidate for the president of the united states?

key bears sacramento targets cameron oliver (2014), marquese chriss (2015), solomon young (2016), christian terrell (2016) & tre finch (2016) will hopefully continue to focus on competing both on the basketball court & in the classroom

cal degree+hard work=opens doors in life

cal family#
unbreakable#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including sacramento)

Shocky1
Shocky1;842200590 said:

congratulations to:

*****mike montgomery
*****travis decuire
*****gregg gottlieb
*****john montgomery
*****jay john
*****cal academic tutors

for successfully cleaning up the ben braun academic cesspool as evidenced by the bb team's recent apr of 955...with the current roster of true student athletes, this # is likely to escalate toward 1000 in the future

who are these bears?

alan crabbe-3.3 gpa@price (honorary team member/current playing w/portland trail blazers)
justin cobbs-3.39 gpa@bishop montgomery
richard solomon-3.5 gpa@price
david kravish-4.1 gpa@lee's summit north
tyrone wallace-3.5 gpa@bakersfield
ricky kreklow-3.72 gpa@rocky bridge
jeff powers-excellent student@delasalle
kahlil johnson-scholastic honor roll@price
garrett galvin-4.0 gpa@torrey pines
jabari bird-3.0+gpa@salesian
jordan mathews-3.55 gpa@santa monica
sam singer-3.4 gpa@ransom everglades
kameron rooks-3.5 gpa@mission hills
roger moute a bidias-3.0+ gpa@notre dame
amhaad rorie-3.6 gpa@lincoln & montverde academy

cal fans can expect every player listed above to either leave cal with a degree and/or a nba contract...hopefully the bears' future nba players will eventually return to cal like former nba all star shareef abdur rahim, 3.8 gpa@cal, to graduate

of the 300+ ncaa d1 bb teams, cal is among the most academically elite programs along with duke, stanford, the ivy leagues & the service academies

if anyone can document a d1 bb program (other than the programs listed above) that has student athletes as academically gifted as cal, i will donate $5000 to a university of california (berkeley) educational scholarship program of their choice in their name

#50 yr decision

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world

theo robertson told me "i've been told that our seniors are on track to graduate this spring should they pass everything that they are enrolled in"

that's great news as they will join last year's graduating trio of bak bak, martin smith & the thurminator with cal diplomas

of course, it is always possible that night club hero jeff powers will drop out of school to star in a new nbc series, "breaking bad entourage in monte carlo"...but that would be a real dumb azz move on his part

monty & the cal mbb program staff are not only athletically developing our players (except oski who is hopeless) but also ensuring they leave berkeley with a world class value degree

cal family#
bears ain't stoopid#
let's roll#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842209649 said:

the west coast's best center in the 2014 class thomas welsh of loyola will be visiting berkeley again this sat nov 2nd to check out the bears practice & get to know his potential future teammates better

with respects to tw's interest in stanford (visiting nov 7th), he is surely evaluating whether or not hc johnny dawkins will lead the cards to the ncaa tnt this spring thereby saving his job for another yr...after missing the ncaa tnt 5 yrs in a row, the pressure is on dawkins to win this season this season (although fan attendance in palo alto is abysmal)

check out the mandate from the stanford ad:
http://www.stanforddaily.com/2013/03/16/dawkins-given-one-more-chance/

in the above stanford daily article stanford ad bernard muir clearly lays out his expectations for johnny dawkins & the 2013 season:

make the ncaa tnt or be fired

why is it unlikely that dawkins will save his job?

**during jd's 5 seasons in palo alto the cards have failed to make the ncaa tnt every yr

**despite above average talent to work with, dawkins 5 yr pac 12 record is a dazzlingly dismal 39-51

**many of these pac 12 losses have occurred during the last 5 minutes when opposing coaches have schemed their teams past stanford

**dawkins coached cards teams have never finished in the top half of the division during his 5 yrs: 9th, t-8th, 7th, 7th & t-6th

**departing cardinal players do not speak fondly of playing for jd

**jd's frosty demeanor has contiributed to a steep decline in stanford bb
attendance

**even the most ardent stanford bb fans concede that when this yr's sr dominant squad of powell, huestis, bright, etc. departs, stanford bb will be back at square one with likely the cellar dweller slot in 2014 & 2015

so who will likely be the next stanford basketball head coach?

the insider $ is on harvard's tommy amaker who has led the crimson to the ncaa tnt the last 2 yrs...both dawkins & amaker are duke grads who are comfortable recruiting strong student athletes...and amaker's harvard team beat a mentally unprepared cal team last dec despite the shockster & his current 1st wife kat screaming courtside

amaker runs a hybrid pinceton weave offense that is based upon constant motion & that utilizes almost the entire shot clock thereby shortening the game...his protypical best players are wings of modest athletic ability, excellent ft shooting %s & high bb iqs

players seeking to develop nba skills will not be attracted to this type of system

adios johnny#
NYCGOBEARS
Shocky1;842210214 said:

adios johnny#

I don't want him to ever leave.
grrrutilus
Shocky1;842209204 said:

from this morning's arizona republic re: sean miller

"i think reality hit me this year with one of the young people we were recruiting," said miller, just moments after another recruit kadeem allen of hutchinson (kan.) community college, left his office..."i think i saw him play more than 70 times: high school, his travel teams in the spring and summer, all the things we're allowed to go to"

"my wife was around me when that topic came up..i think if you add up the times i've seen my three sons play, i don't know if you can get to a third of it"

ok , so sean miller is a lousy dad to his 3 sons (wonder who is their male role model? the dad next door who actually spends time with miller's boys?) by his own admission & he's not much of a gameday xxx's & ooo's guy either (but he's a terrific recruiter no doubt)

mike montgomery needs to make the short drive to bod at least 10 times this season (+the bod game at haas for the mlk classic) to show his love for ivan...it's really not that complicated

cal family#
the grind includes coaches too#

A BIG time bull$hi77er of a person! I bet he tells every elite recruit that $hi7! LOL
Shocky1
Shocky1;842160939 said:

what are the most apathetic & disinterested fan bases in college basketball?

according to jeff eisenberg the national college bb writer for yahoo sports the 3 worst drawing bcs d1 baskeball programs last season were:

1. usc (4,243 avg)
2. boston college (4,244 avg)
3. stanford (4,530 avg)

at least usc has the excuse that their home games are played in an area that is perceived as unsafe...fight on

stanford has no such excuses...johnny dawkins has run the program into the ground by missing the ncaa tnt each & every yr during his 5 (five) yrs in palo alto and nobody's going to the games anymore

if they miss the tnt again this season despite the large senior class, jd will be fired immediately after the final game

if they make the tnt, there is a 90% chance jd will be fired after likely losing 20+ games in 2014 with an inexperienced team

johnny dawkins will be fired because his teams have never made the ncaa tnt, the fans just don't care anymore & because he's a humorless, really uptight control freak that doesn't relate well to human beings

the odds on favorite to be the next head coach at stanford is harvard's tommy amaker who has done a terrific job of building an ivy league powerhouse...unfortunately for bigs like thomas welsh, playing in a hybrid princeton weave offense will not develop their skills for the next level

crickets

this is stanford basketball#

the following press release was issued by the stanford ad bernard muir:

"after considerable analysis in conjunction with the stanford economic department (we do not have an undergraduate business major) it is clear after reviewing supply (an overabundance of empty seats) vs demand (declining) that the men's basketball team's home game revenues are not being optimized at this point"

"therefore effective immediately all preseason stanford basketball games will be played at south park hs (seating capacity 392) in an effort to create a cozy, loud home court advantage"

"while it is undeniably true that playing the pac 12 slate at a predominantly empty maples pavilion will create a home court advantage for visiting pac 12 institutions, the fiscal impact and influx of capital generated by predominantly affluent and good looking cal fans cannot be ignored and its signficant impact upon the palo alto economic footprint"

"i would also like to take this opportunity to 100% reaffirm my support for johnny dawkins...there will be no further comment from this office regarding coach dawkins and his contractual employment with this department until the cardinals are once again mathematically eliminated from the ncaa field of 65 teams tournament"

this is stanford basketball#
adios johnny#

Optimistic Bear
I cant believe how low the attendance is. I finally moved back up to the bay area this year and wanted to take a bunch of the office and their kids to go see Stanford game on 1/2 but the tickets online looked really expensive, so I was thinking they must sell out and especially if its a Cal game, but I was still thinking with the hollidays there would probably be a bunch of cheap seats we could get, but apparently either thats not true or I am looking in the wrong spot. Maybe I just need to wait until closer to game time, but I really want to go see Cal play in Maples because I still haven't been there for a game.
First Page Last Page
Page 45 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.