cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,276,453 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hi Bears Fans!

My Dad is twisting my words, he has no fashion sense whatsoever & he sometimes tongue kisses our rescue pets & then he wonders why nobody wants to kiss him.

XXXOOO
Taylor

#real talk
bearmanpg
TMI Taylor, TMI
HoopDreams

[video=youtube;EoxhHNOArS0][/video]
concordtom
Shocky1;842409835 said:

Hi Bears Fans!

My Dad is twisting my words, he has no fashion sense whatsoever & he sometimes tongue kisses our rescue pets & then he wonders why nobody wants to kiss him.

XXXOOO
Taylor

#real talk

Taylor:
You need your own signon: Shocky1sDaughter
It's free!
Shocky1
Shocky1;842409835 said:

Hi Bears Fans!

XXXOOO
Taylor

#real talk

i dunno, sometimes i kinda feel like hooper humperdink
Shocky1
nick hamilton modeling the 1000 days deserted island survivor look

GoBears635
Shocky1;842409287 said:

100% agreed

head coach lindsay gottlieb is an extraordinary person with her enthusiasm, compassion & vision for her players & program...after talking with her on the cal's gilligan's island boat cruise in the chicago harbor the nite before the northwestern football game, i bought floor seats to support her program

when are you gonna go to a women's basketball game at haas?

the bears play next friday nite vs san jose state in the cal classic at 5:30 pm...then they will play again presumably vs the winner of the creighton/cincinnati game on saturday nite at 7:00 pm which is perfect timing after the cal/byu football kick off at 1:30 pm

the undefeated 3-0 bears are #14 ranked & have the senior leadership with all american candidates #15 brittnay boyd & #21 reshanda gray to dethrone stanford for the pac 12 championship & return again to the final four

if you've never been to a cal women's basketball game, this weekend is your opportunity to check them out

i love this foto, it captures the relentless passion of cal women's basketball

Shocky, so far this year, I've made the WBB open practice, Vanguard, Pacific and Nevada games. Sorry I couldn't make the fiasco in Hawaii. Probably couldn't have stood the officiating anyway. Also saw you and Taylor at the MBB Alcorn State game. Planning to make the Cal Poly game on Weds. Does this count?
Shocky1
GoBears63;842409913 said:

Shocky, so far this year, I've made the WBB open practice, Vanguard, Pacific and Nevada games. Sorry I couldn't make the fiasco in Hawaii. Probably couldn't have stood the officiating anyway. Also saw you and Taylor at the MBB Alcorn State game. Planning to make the Cal Poly game on Weds. Does this count?

gb63, this totally counts, you are truly a roaring bear

who's your dentist?#
Shocky1
brandon & tyler, if the nba doesn't mint you, then you're gonna have to utilize your educational opportunities to achieve your dreams & build a better life for you & your family (mom matters)...even if the nba does mint you, you gotta have financial skills & a strong education to make sure you prosper for the years ahead in terms of sound investment strategies & raising intellectually curious children

so check out the link below for your finalists, ok?
tyler: cal, kansas, colorado, asu & oregon
brandon: cal, lsu, st johns, usc & oregon

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings?int=9cf408

even your guy huf has a career backup plan, he's the lead singer for future islands

you two could be part of the bears backcourt that helps cal compete for a national championship if the 2015 diamonds are forever class comes together

successful student athletes got academic ambition, dumb azz ballers limit themselves & just blindly hope they never get injured

don't be a dumb azz#
50 year decision#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (and #3 ranked overall) university in the world
Shocky1
[video=youtube;w-7zIsveiJU][/video]

many of the most significant roots of social change & activism in the united states have been germinated at the university of california, berkeley

responsibility#
Shocky1
"i've gotten to this point in my career and realized that, yeah, i've got a lot more dreams and i want to go further but at the same time i don't want to do it if it's at the expense of my happiness...and i don't want to do it if it's at the expense of my sanity or if i have to become someone who is so out of touch with what's real, the people that love you and the people that you love"
-j cole

Shocky1
Shocky1;842391431 said:

you like sitting on your azz for the half the game in his new platoon scheme with a dozen mcdonalds all americans sharing one basketball & the bench...the guy selling cokes at rupp is gonna get more action than 6'8" marcus lee (of course practicing is way more important in terms of nba skills development & fun than actually playing in basketball games according to some street agents)

ivan rabb's 5 finalists are cal, kentucky (tripping to lexington sunday & monday's blue/white scrimmage), arizona, kansas (november 7th) & ucla

coach cal is all business (he doesn't even pretend he's interested in any personal relationship with you) & emphasized the following key factors of the kentucky nba development factory during ivan's official visit:

*****playing 14-19 minutes per game will prepare you for the nba & coming off the bench cold
*****sharing playing time & one basketball with a dozen mcdonald all americans that all ruthlessly want your valuable playing time is an authentic replication of the cruel nba biz...the strongest predators will win out in the long run
*****the uber lux kentucky basketball dorms which are designed to minimize a player's unnecessary interactions with college students...if you wanna see students, you'll see them bundled up & lining up in the snow 3 hours before your games at rupp
*****an unlimited # of twitter followers & groupies
*****the state of the art kentucky basketball std health clinic which is open 24/7
*****seminars on important nba topics like the proper stowing of firearms in your vehicle for your personal safety
*****a reaffirmation that "reading books and **** like that is a total waste of time" in preparing yourself for the nba draft
*****financial advice re: the economic dangers of giving back too much to your high school & community instead of funneling money into your lavish nba cribs mansion with a tricked out game room
*****criminal defense firm near campus with experienced barristers "in case some bitch gets out of line"...you are legally entitled to a strong pimp hand at the trap house
*****the benefits of distance (2,382 miles from oakland to lexington) in order to "block out distractions like your mom & younger brother"

coach cal is the man#
business decision#

ivan, coach cal continued his platoon system tonite in the #1 ranked wildcats victory with 11 guys playing between 10 and 21 minutes...hard to develop game skills when you are substituted out every couple of minutes...case in point, marcus lee played 12 minutes with no points but more importantly, zero offensive plays designed for him...kentucky guys go to the nba because they are uber talented, do not confuse innate nba talent with player development
concordtom
Shocky1;842410619 said:

ivan, coach cal continued his platoon system tonite in the #1 ranked wildcats victory with 11 guys playing between 10 and 21 minutes...hard to develop game skills when you are substituted out every couple of minutes...case in point, marcus lee played 12 minutes with no points but more importantly, zero offensive plays designed for him...kentucky guys go to the nba because they are uber talented, do not confuse innate nba talent with player development

Just listening to Coach Calipari speak during his post game interview. He said that they are barely doing drills, instead doing a ton of intrasquad scrimmages all the time with 4 7 footers, etc. on the floor at the same time.

Marcus Lee's older brother assured us that this scrimmage time was going to better prepare Marcus for the next level.

It all certainly sounds impressive, doesn't it? But then, there's that stat you mentioned, which I noticed in the Kentucky-Kansas game when I was watching: "marcus lee played 12 minutes with no points but more importantly, zero offensive plays designed for him"
I certainly noticed the same thing as you. Maybe Marcus gets his points in the closed door practices, and we'll see what he's learned when he is in the pros.
I dunno.... It's the big bet, isn't it? Which is going to get you bigger dollars once you turn pro?
I think if it's a toss up, I'd be happier playing for something, harnessing/developing my passion, rather than just working out behind closed doors for some future pay day. Marcus could have been a legend in Berkeley. At Kentucky, he'll be forgotten. It was just a weigh station... Or, maybe he'll get his Lorenzo Charles moment...

PS: Here's an interesting look at Kentucky's depth chart and accompanying stats. They are doing a great job sharing the ball, of which there is only 1.
[U] [url] http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Southeastern-Conference/8/Kentucky/258/Depth_Charts[/url][/U]
Marcus is 6th in rebounds.
Marcus is 11th in points.
I am rooting for Marcus.
ibelieveNyou
Shocky1;842409912 said:

nick hamilton modeling the 1000 days deserted island survivor look

LOL, well, hopefully it won't be that long before he gets more playing time so the team and coach will realize he can contribute to game wins.

Upcoming games vs Fresno - he knows and has played both with and against center Terrell Carter... USC's Elijah Stewart - both he and Hamilton were starters for Westchester Comets and both apart of their L.A. DIV I Championship.
Shocky1
these california golden bears aren't talented enough to just show up & big time anybody particularly a very well coached cal poly slo team that last season captured a big west conference tournament championship that included a victory over a santa barbara squad that defeated a ******* passive sleepwalking cal team, a ncca play in game victory before losing to wichita state in the big dance

the bears should get their autographs & ask them what's it like to play in the ncca tournament

we attack#
socaltownie
concordtom;842410641 said:

I am rooting for Marcus.

I am also but pretty worried for the kid.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842387215 said:

is this shocky after yoga?...nah, it's my favorite filipino/peruvian d1 basketball california golden bear

"600+ shots today with the squad, trying to make every shot a perfect one"
-brandon chauca

guns#

ncca administrative issues have been resolved & brandon will eligible to play december 3rd vs montana
Shocky1
the cal poly slo mustangs (2-1) will gallop into haas arena tonite with a balanced attack led by #10 ridge shipley (12.0 ppg with a deadly 46.2% on 3 pointers), #0 david nwaba (11.3 ppg), #34 brian bennett (11.3 ppg), #5 reese morgan (10.0 ppg) & #3 maliik love (5.7 apg & 5.7 rpg)...jay john's sharpshooting true freshman son trevor is redshirting this season

the bears will have a significant height advantage & will need to pound the ball inside and not just settle for quick in the clock perimeter shots

if our guys & the crowd don't bring energy, the bears are gonna be lost in a blizzard of the mustangs 3 pt shooting & unselfish fundamentally sound team basketball

no snow avalanches in berkeley#
Shocky1

the overrated at #22 bruins lost their 1st game of the season 71-65 to oklahoma

alford's insistence on starting his son bryce at point guard (he's a natural 2) has resulted in numerous point guard recruits for 2014 & 2015 avoiding westwood...bryce had 2 assists & 2 turnovers vs the sooners

ruh roh

Shocky1
Shocky1;842345175 said:

ben kone, a 6'8" 240 lbs 2016 mitty & oakland soldier, unofficially visited with the cal bb staff this summer in berkeley

kone played at salesian as a freshman (recalls being dunked on by jabari daily in practice) & last season at mitty accumulated 12 ppg, 12 rpg, a fluid 5.5 apg, 3 blocks & 2 steals per game

ben has transformed his body & impressed the cal coaches with a 26 pt explosion at the pump n' run in anaheim this july

the former skiboarder needs to continue to work on his fitness, ball handling & shots off the dribble...kone is already a ferocious rebounder at the 4, an actively engaged defender & an excellent ft shooter (highly unusual for a young big)...in many ways, he is like a young leon powe

ben & his mom are very close which would make a future potential offer from cal & the opportunity to continue playing with ringleader oscar frayer & other soldiers a highly attractive option

cal family#
salute#

ben has received an offer from cal, his 1st pac 12 offer
SFBearz
Shocky1;842411084 said:

ben has received an offer from cal, his 1st pac 12 offer

Congrats to him, hope to see him commit.
concordtom
socaltownie;842410758 said:

I am also but pretty worried for the kid.

So, we've beat the Marcus/Kentucky situation with a stick, and will just have to wait and see. Another fellow who was highly rated that went to a crowded school and whose future comes into question is Tarczewski at Arizona. I flipped over to the Maui Classic finish after Cal-CalPoly to see AZ get past SDSU. Tarc fouled out at the end with 3 points. Now, he's a big guy, and a good player. But his role has been to just play beef while other guys get all the action. I think he's better than that, but he's surrounded with such talent there that there is no time/room for him to get his. Maybe he's just not as good as everyone else. Certainly that could be it - but were he at a school without such talent, perhaps he'd be given more of a green light, and allowance/allotment.

Ah, but the practice time must be golden....! (thus allowing him to foul out with 3 points, just like Marcus' HIGH LEVEL practice time allows him to be able to score an otherworldly 2 points and grab 4 boards thus far at kentucky!) http://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Southeastern-Conference/8/Kentucky/258/Depth_Charts
:p
concordtom
Shocky1;842411000 said:

the overrated at #22 bruins lost their 1st game of the season 71-65 to oklahoma

alford's insistence on starting his son bryce at point guard (he's a natural 2) has resulted in numerous point guard recruits for 2014 & 2015 avoiding westwood...bryce had 2 assists & 2 turnovers vs the sooners

To be fair, most everyone on this board were impressed with Bryce's play last season, and I think on the Cal-CalPoly broadcast they said he is averaging 20 and 8 thus far into the short season - nothing to sneeze at.
GoBears635
Shocky1;842410816 said:

ncca administrative issues have been resolved & brandon will eligible to play december 3rd vs wyoming

Shocky, are you really that geographically challenged, or was it just a test to see if we're awake. Cal plays Montana on 12/3 in TD's homecoming. BTW, nice blue shirt tonight.
Shocky1

left to right, jabari "where's the prisoner?" bird, jordan "lukewarm" mathews, christian "the semi fast & furious" behrens & tyrone "kinda unbreakable" wallace

a victory is a victory, make no mistake about it

this year's california golden bears are not talented enough to big time anybody & sleepwalk to victory any games left on the schedule...on the other hand, when guys play lockdown d (jb got skewered multiple times tonite like a t-giving turkey) & make the extra pass, they can beat anybody in the nation including syracuse on their home turf at msg

huge props to the mustangs for playing with relentless energy & attacking the basket while the bears settled for ill advised unsuccessful 3 pointers until deep into the 2nd half when cal pulled away by playing stronger d & team basketball

don't be a zombie

zombies=dumb azzs

who knew cole welle is the lead singer for spoon?
HoopDreams
Freshmen Mikayla Cowling helped the No. 14 Bears win the Hawaii Rainbow Wahine Classic by averaging 16.5 points and 5.0 rebounds
Mikayla is the No. 11 incoming freshmen in the Nation

Shows how a talented player can make an instant impact

Mikayla, and her HS teammate Gabby Green are both from the bay area

[SIZE=7][COLOR="#000080"]Rep the Bay[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Shocky1
it is 15 minutes after the bears victory vs the mustangs and tonya & carl bird's son is still patiently signing autographs in the hallway by the steps down to the locker room at haas arena...the little kids are surrounding the bird man from alcatraz, looking upwards at their hero, hoping that perhaps someday they can be like him...he's comfortably talking to them, perhaps not even realizing that he's fueling their collegiate dreams

there are 1,000,000+ reasons to celebrate these california golden bears & their families for reasons that extend far beyond basketball

cal family#
concordtom
Every time you post this photo I think his mom has a warm smile. She's a pretty lady, he says respectfully.
atoms
Shocky1;842411301 said:

the bears settled for ill advised unsuccessful 3 pointers

I actually felt like most of those weren't very ill-advised at all. Jabari did take an off-balance three in the 2nd half I think, and that was ill-advised, but for the most part, especially early on, those were open looks that we SHOULD be taking shots on. That's what the Cal Poly defense was giving us. They were playing matchup zone and collapsing the post, and so we had better looks on the perimeter. I have no problem shooting open 3's if that's what the defense is allowing. In fact, there were a couple of times that I felt Mathews and Singer passed up open looks to drive or dish the ball and we didn't wind up with as good a look as they had passed up. Tarwater missed a couple of 3's in the first half, but he was open, and the shots were just slightly off, that's all.

Anyway, I'm with you that once we started playing better defense and getting out in transition, that helped open up the game, but we have some good shooters on this team, so if they're open they should shoot it.
HoopDreams
I get the feeling that these players have a strong respect and bond for Coach Cuonzo Martin. Seems like every player refers to Coach Martin in interviews. There is a respect there, and I think they really buy in to what their coach is teaching. It was clear that his players at Tennessee had a lot of trust and love for their coach too.

I like that Coach Martin and the other coaches played basketball at a very high level. Basketball is not a theory to them. They've competed. They can show the little techniques. They understand how game pressure impacts a player. These coaches have been there themselves.

"Coach Martin preaches that it is a team game. You can't go out there and win by yourself. You need your guys behind you to make shots, you need to make plays and get others involved. We did a good job of that today."

"The coaches tell me to be more aggressive. If I am aggressive I can look for my shot and find others. That is the main thing they are telling me, to be aggressive on offense and defense, and stay in attack mode."

Shocky1
who is the mvp for last nite's bears/mustangs berkeley slide throwdown?

the votes have been counted (my rescue pets always vote for oski anyways) & that would be christian behrens who had arguably his best game since his octane charged performance at stanford last season...and yeah, his 2 ******* nails charges he took vs syracuse on the world's largest stage at msg destroyed any orangemen's hopes for a fast & furious comeback

"i am feeling really healthy this season...i am able to go out there every night and compete...it has been fun...coach martin (and the shockster) has a lot of confidence in me and it has given me more confidence throughout the offseason...i have become better...self-motivation was big for me...i had the right tools with the coaching staff, they really know how to push us"
-christian behrens

start your engines#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842396598 said:

tyler, the reason you do not have an actionable offer at this time from coach self & kansas is because they have a limited # of available schollys for next season...the # of schollys is now 2 with the transfer of connor frankamp due to the lack of playing time in the jayhawks very crowded backcourt
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/11797141/kansas-jayhawks-sophomore-guard-conner-frankamp-transfer

bill self, per his quotes above, loves devonte graham at the point for the future so he's focusing on elite frontcourt talent right now including ivan rabb, jaylen brown, carlton bragg, cheick diallo, brandon ingram, stephen zimmerman & thomas bryant

kansas is most likely only going to bring in one guard & self's only actionable offer is to the #1 ranked guard in the country, malik newman...newman isn't going to make a decision until the very last minute in order to see the impact of early nba departures at his 2 favorites, kansas & kentucky....no wonder malik is smiling

tyler, how long are you gonna let coach self slowplay you?...do you really think bill has your best interests in mind?

malik newman has indicated he will not announce his college destination until after april 15, the ncca deadline to declare for the nba draft, according to the zagsblog...newman is following the decision making process of andrew wiggins who waited until may 14th last year to declare for kansas...coach self is gonna wait until the 4th of july for malik's decision if necessary

the time is now#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842410289 said:

[video=youtube;w-7zIsveiJU][/video]

many of the most significant roots of social change & activism in the united states have been germinated at the university of california, berkeley

responsibility#

the cal basketball team is serving meals today at the united methodist church in oakland (la familia de shocky is heading to downtown phx to do our thing too)
Shocky1
Shocky1

do you ever throw a pity party for your sorry broken down candy soft azz?

listen up, the most amazing story in cal basketball history is perhaps the unbreakable mental toughness of leon powe

growing up in oakland, leon and his 6 brothers & sisters & mom connie were often homeless living in shelters, cheap hotels and even abandoned cars

despite this troubled childhood powe became a mcdonalds all american at oakland tech & more importantly a true student athlete thx to his mentors bernard ward & jonas zuckerman, an all pac 10 1st teamer at cal, a 1st round draft choice of the boston celtics accumulating almost $4m in nba earnings, and is passionately giving back & touching lives in oakland...leon is currently working for the celtics in their front office

check out this lifestory video re: leon's amazing adventure

rip: connie landry

50 year friendships#
First Page Last Page
Page 129 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.