cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,271,306 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
roosevelt, at some point are you gonna let your big sauce grow up & maybe say "son, i love you, you will always have my full & unconditional support no matter what, follow your dreams in life...and tuck in your shirt too"

cal is a dream school#

roosevelt, don't you want your son to find his own path in life, surrounded by true (and high character) friends?

50 year friendships#

as a dad how are you gonna feel if your son gets injured & basketball is done with him forever and his future career opportunities are significantly limited by your insistence that he pass up an education to the #1 public university in the world?

to be honest with you, that's pretty ****** up if you feel that way

let your son follow his dreams (not yours) in life

detente#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][COLOR="#000080"]No, Caleb
You're suppose to wreck the other dude![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842395521 said:

the california golden bears are no strangers to adversity & being hurt...consider:

***beloved parents die from cancer
***major injuries that require long & painful rehabs
***parents divorced
***unfavorably compared by scouts to aaron gordon & his non stop motor
***characterized by critics as a "classic overachiever"
***snickered by cynics as too jewish to keep up with pac 12 pgs
***regarded by most d1 colleges as too inexperienced playing bb coming from cameroon
***told by wildcat coaches to be too fat to play as a freshman
***regarded as too skinny to be an effective rebounder/shot blocker in the pac 12
***disrespected by other coaches by not guarding his outside shot
***compared to cee lo green for failing to hustle back on d
***rejected by hometown ucla for other local guys
***spurned by johnny dawkins for the allen twins
***blasted by fans for sleepwalking in losing to usc
***recognized for leading the pac 12 in charges in recklessly running people over
***defeated by dagger to the heart 3 pointer in dallas to end season
***turned away by nicky d & his crew
***saddened by farewells to beloved coaches
***compared to the pillsbury dough boy for eating at the shoneys all you can eat buffet
***mislabeled by coaches as too much of an english gentleman
***dismissed as too short, too filipino, too peruvian to play high d1 basketball
***regarded as not athletic enough to walk on at cal & play pac 12 bb
***steamrolled by opponents during a nightmare 2-26 season in the ivy league
***ignored by beyonce, rihanna & shakira for sr prom dates

it's true you know, what doesn't kill you truly makes you stronger

so the question remains, will the bears take these life experiences & use them to strengthen themselves into wiser & unbreakable individuals?

will the bears "find a way?"

when u r hurt, u must find a way

the experts have lofty expectation for the 2015 california golden bears

but being great on paper doesn't mean **** if them guys don't work their azzs off this summer in getting better...finals are over & the bears will take a little time off visiting with their families back home but then it's back to berkeley & the grind, only one team is gonna be standing at the end of next season

the bears gotta feel & remember the hurt from this season: blowouts at usc & at home vs asu vs relatively untalented teams that played those games with more fire & aggression than the passive bears...sean miller smirking form the sidelines trying to run up the score with his starters in tucson

there's zero reasons for the bears to be overconfident heading into november:

**there are middle school kids in albany that can shoot free throws better than tyrone wallace & sam singer
**jabari bird is arguably the worst wing defender in the pac 12
**jordan mathews brings the mental consistency of lamar odom
**k(rooks) can't jump over a phone book & the king looks shocked every time he receives a pass
**stephen domingo got his azz served to him in the big east
**roger moute a bidias & brandon chauca need to get the bench glue off their azzs
**the walk ons need to create actual competition in practices
**potentially overrated high schoolers who have never played in a college basketball game

yeah, the bears were 18-15 last season & not even invited to the nit or cbi

and gordon bayne told me to get my sorry broken down azz off the floor after dwight's hail mary shot vs ucla at haas & quit stormin' the floor

all this **** hurts & cannot be forgotten

cornered bears are the most dangerous#
Bobodeluxe
[ATTACH=CONFIG]4626[/ATTACH]
Shocky1

cal is all about the celebration & full expression of one's unique individuality

beast mode=ideal fit in beszerkely

this ain't the midwest#
HoopDreams

HoopDreams
Shocky1
Shocky1;842453198 said:

bears gotta play 40 minutes of defense, diamond plus one

sun devils (males, not females) smell bad too#

the bears basketball players & coaches weren't the only passive azz cal team to get clownpunked by asu twice last season

the cal dance & cheerleading teams were also owned by their sun devils counterparts

the bears got a couple of team members that need to relentlessly work on their conditioning this summer, they're gonna be on viewed on a nationwide basis due to the arrival of cal's diamonds are forever class (2015)...they gotta works their azzs off this offseason, core out & go to yoga 5 days a week (like me)...chunky legs are not acceptable (not even for bases) for this upcoming season, the cal basketball program is gonna be on center stage...this is prime time, baby

they are athletes & should be conditioned as such...tiphanie, kristen & danielle need to set higher expectations & if some current members don't want to make the necessary commitment to excellence, then they should be replaced immediately...diane milano has provided failed leadership to these programs, what does she actually do ever day to justify her cal salary?

if (k)rooks can significantly lower his body fat & dramatically reshape his body via disciplined hard work, some of our dance & cheerleading team members can get their butts into the gym this summer too

shut up, shocky#
HoopDreams
Shocky1
Shocky1;842493675 said:

big sauce, this is your life, you gotta figure out what's gonna make you happy in life, what makes you tick

this isn't about your dad's preferences, this isn't about your girlfriend's needs...no, this is your life

if you wanna stay in the midwest near home for college, that's fine

if you wanna travel to california & join your diamond friends at the #1 public university in the world & be a part of coach martin's love train, that's fine too

caleb, you don't wanna be 30 years old waking up with regrets...those who love you will eventually accept your dreams

caleb swanigan is a remarkable young man that has already accomplished so much despite the odds

born into a dysfunctional utah family, his brother was shot in the face & killed in a salt lake city parking lot before he moved in with his guardian/dad roosevelt barnes in ft wayne...he transformed himself from a 350 lbs 13 year old into a mcdonalds all american...and most impressively, swanigan will be graduating from high school in 3 years thru hard work in the classroom

in watching big sauce in person at the high school all american games in both portland & brooklyn, he has the ability & nasty demeanor to bully inside in attacking the basketball along with strong ball & shooting skills for a big...he will need to modify his low release point on shots & also continue to challenge himself via the s&c and nutrition programs as his lack of hops resulted in numerous of his shots being blocked by elite guys with length such as skal & ivan

good luck to big sauce at purdue, a much better academic choice in terms of a 50 year decision than either michigan state or kentucky

but most of all, gonna miss caleb's stylish collection of fuschia (it's not pink) shirts

what's a boilermaker?#
petalumabear
Shocky1;842497881 said:

caleb swanigan is a remarkable young man that has already accomplished so much despite the odds

born into a dysfunctional utah family, his brother was shot in the face & killed in a salt lake city parking lot before he moved in with his guardian/dad roosevelt barnes in ft wayne...he transformed himself from a 350 lbs 13 year old into a mcdonalds all american...and most impressively, swanigan will be graduating from high school in 3 years thru hard work in the classroom

in watching big sauce in person at the high school all american games in both portland & brooklyn, he has the ability & nasty demeanor to bully inside in attacking the basketball along with strong ball & shooting skills for a big...he will need to modify his low release point on shots & also continue to challenge himself via the s&c and nutrition programs as his lack of hops resulted in numerous of his shots being blocked by elite guys with length such as skal & ivan

good luck to big sauce at purdue, a much better academic choice in terms of a 50 year decision than either michigan state or kentucky

but most of all, gonna miss caleb's stylish collection of fuschia (it's not pink) shirts

what's a boilermaker?#

Best of luck to Caleb... lets have a few boilermakers and celebrate his success so far...
Davon Dillard - Come on down!!
going4roses
wish caleb nothing but the best
Shocky1
Shocky1;842350418 said:

one of the keys to happiness in life (other than a yoga practice, a smooth putting stroke & a couple of crazy azz rescue dogs) is to avoid helicopter relationships

helicopters are people that hover over you 24/7 & that expect to be involved in your every movement, quests, dreams, passions, hobbies & other relationships

if you gotta ask for their permission to anything you wanna do (like a stamped passport), you're in a helicopter relationship

the best way to avoid helicopters is to surround yourself with people that have their own amazing interests

when i went on my honeymoon to hawaii with my current 1st wife kat, she went on a boat cruise one morning from maui to lanai...she started a conversation with an older couple & they asked her what she was doing in the islands...kat replied she was on her honeymoon...they asked her to point out her husband on the boat to which she replied, "oh, he's not here, he's walking 36 holes today at kapalua's plantation course with his caddie"

shocky & kat doing the hang at cape kidnappers in new zealand...yeah, she's no brain surgeon, she's an asu grad w/a masters degree in something economically useless

important note to cal basketball players: all of the above does not apply to your relationships with the cal coaching staff...if nicodemus tells you to work out at 6:00 am, you need to get your sorry broken down azz to the s&c facilities at 5:45 am

do not question my relationships analytics skills, i took psych 1 at cal

do anything you wanna do#

once a boilermaker, always a boilermaker

a young man's free will & dreams co opted by an adult

sad story#
Vandalus
Shocky1;842498119 said:

once a boilermaker, always a boilermaker

a young man's free will & dreams co opted by an adult

sad story#

Eh. He's got choices to make in life and who I am or anyone else to tell him what the right choice is. Whether he had an adults voice in his ear that "suggested" he do option "A" instead of option "B" doesn't give anyone else the right to tell him that he's making a bad choice or that he shouldn't listen to him. It's his choice. Maybe he really likes Indiana and being near his GF. Me personally, I'm glad I got the F away from my high school GF and moved on, but who am I to tell him what's right for him.

In any event, best of luck to the guy. I'm more interested in our guys going forward.
Cal Geek
Vandalus;842498162 said:

Eh. He's got choices to make in life and who I am or anyone else to tell him what the right choice is. Whether he had an adults voice in his ear that "suggested" he do option "A" instead of option "B" doesn't give anyone else the right to tell him that he's making a bad choice or that he shouldn't listen to him. It's his choice. Maybe he really likes Indiana and being near his GF. Me personally, I'm glad I got the F away from my high school GF and moved on, but who am I to tell him what's right for him.

In any event, best of luck to the guy. I'm more interested in our guys going forward.

Not sure about how much it's "his" choice, since the LOI needs to be signed by parent or guardian (his guardian in this case) since Swanigan is under 21. Not sure if the same age requirement applies for scholarship signature instead. (Hopefully someone else will chime in with help here.)
Vandalus
Cal Geek;842498185 said:

Not sure about how much it's "his" choice, since the LOI needs to be signed by parent or guardian (his guardian in this case) since Swanigan is under 21. Not sure if the same age requirement applies for scholarship signature instead. (Hopefully someone else will chime in with help here.)

Well, to be fair there's a whole lot of unsubstantiated information regarding how this went down. I'm 99% certain that a scholarship agreement does not need parental consigning once the student is 18 years old - it's a regular contract then.

My point is if he wanted to go somewhere else but can't sign an LOI because his dad/guardian won't consign it, then he can just sign a scholarship agreement and say screw you. Then again, it's hard to say screw you to your parent.
philbert
Vandalus;842498199 said:

Well, to be fair there's a whole lot of unsubstantiated information regarding how this went down. I'm 99% certain that a scholarship agreement does not need parental consigning once the student is 18 years old - it's a regular contract then.

I asked this question on another board and their expert thought it also required the signature of the parent/guardian. Would love a definitive answer.
Vandalus
philbert;842498207 said:

I asked this question on another board and their expert thought it also required the signature of the parent/guardian. Would love a definitive answer.

Hmm. That's odd. Here's a link to a scholarship agreement from WSU and there's no signature line or clause re parental consent. This isn't definitive obviously.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Example-Athletic-Aid-Agreement.pdf
Shocky1
Vandalus;842498162 said:

vandy, we've sat by each other at haas & you know some of my sources...trust me, caleb wanted to become a bear
Shocky1
mike nowell, an assistant coach at seattle university, has passed away

he was a highly respected aau & high school coach in the seattle area for many years

nowell is survived by his wife, daughter & two sons...jaylen, a top 25 player in the 2017 class & the 2nd ranked shooting guard in the nation, was a silent commit to the bears & his uncle travis decuire...td told me jaylen (3.5 gpa) is an outstanding student from a family that emphasizes academic achievement

rest in peace, mike nowell
philbert
Vandalus;842498210 said:

Hmm. That's odd. Here's a link to a scholarship agreement from WSU and there's no signature line or clause re parental consent. This isn't definitive obviously.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Example-Athletic-Aid-Agreement.pdf

That one is a renewal. I'd like to see an initial one. I'm no expert. Is this a LOI or a financial aid agreement?

http://tribeathletics.test.wm.edu/policies/9-h.pdf
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]even though Caleb is not joining Ivan and Jaylen...

...life is still beautiful at Cal...[/SIZE]

Shocky1
HaloBear;842481359 said:

Someday, we'll be able to assemble a monster class out of a couple decades worth of this thread.

Furk.

Shocky1
jeff goodman is reporting that the emotionally distraught arizona head coach had the following paranoid conversation with his pool guy trevor (an arizona grad) this morning at his catalina foothils home (which is at the end of a cul de sac of a mediocre cartball course):

trevor the pool guy: "mr miller, would you like me to sweep the pool steps today?"

sean miller (putting down the 2 glazed with sprinkles donuts he's eating for breakfast along with a zero coke): "what the **** are you talking about?...you think we lose twice to wisconsin and now cal is gonna sweep us next season?...quit ******* with me"

trevor: "mr miller, all i'm saying is..."

sean: "look pal, i'm know exactly what you're saying, do you think i'm ******* stupid?...that cal and that bald azz coach is gonna be the new alpha dog in the pac 12...trust me, i hear exactly what you're saying...if you don't like cleaning my pool, you should get the **** out of here and go clean the pools at asu"

josh gershon is now reporting the following tense arizona staff meeting from the bowels of mckale this morning:

sean: "what's going on with you ugly dumb azz clowns?...did you watch the mcdonalds game, allonzo trier jacked up 20 shots, what's up with that?"

joe: "coach, i think..."

sean: "shut the **** up, joe, don't talk unless i ask you to talk, ok?...you're the dumb azz who told me to jettison tyler dorsey and his little league dad for trier...if i wanted a guard to jack up a million lousy shots a game we could've kept td"

damon: "coach, what does jettison mean?"

sean: "shut the **** up, damon...you really are stupid, where did you go to college?"

silence in the room

sean: "look, all i ask is that you dumb azz bitches get me 3-4 basketball players a year that all they wanna to do is play basketball with a basketball on the basketball floor, is that asking for too much?...it's not like cal or stanford where you gotta find guys that can actually read and **** like that"

sean scarfs down the final chocolate glazed donut with fuchsia sprinkles from the double sized box

sean: "if that bald azz guy in berkeley gets his program ahead of my program next season, you sorry broken down candy azz soft clowns are gonna be busing tables at the applebees on craycroft"

miller storms out of the room & the door slams closed

damon (shaking his head): "you got yours printed up?"

joe: "yeah, i'm a step ahead, mine will be ready at kinkos at 5:30 pm today"

sean miller needs a yoga practice#

********************************************************************************

jason scheer is reporting that tucson is a dump & that sean miller had the following heated conversation at his catalina foothills home (on a mediocre golf course for chunky cartballers):

amy miller: "come on sean, put down the maple glazed donuts and come swim with me and the kids"

sean miller (looking at his bloated belly while taking a couple more bites): "that doesn't sound like any fun"

amy: "sweetie, things aren't that bad, didn't you out recruit cal for one guy this year?"

sean: "are you ******* kidding?...mark ******* tollefsen?

amy: "fine, throw a pity party for yourself"

sean: "trust me, i will"

sean (petting his dog lute on the head): "lute, you're really my only friend, how do you think next season is gonna be vs cal?"

lute (wagging his tail): "ruf"

**********************************************************************************

adam schimdt is tweeting he overheard the following angry interaction from the bowels of mckale this morning:

athletic director greg bryne: "sean, gotta be honest here, i'm a little more than worried about your stress levels and behavior these days, you're cursing at your staff daily and gaining a lot of weight...jim and arte are concerned too"

sean (wiping his mouth with his arizona golf shirt to get the red & blue sprinkles off his lips while picking up another donut): "what the **** are you talkin' about?"

greg (with a sigh): "why did damon leave for basically a lateral position at memphis?"

sean (talking with his mouth full): "who knows, who cares, him and josh always had some weird **** going on, anyways we don't need any more guys from the northwest to be successful"

greg: "do you think you'll be able to beat cal 3 times again next season?"

sean picks up the dunkin' donuts variety pack box in front of him, tucks it under his arm & walks out while slamming the door...he really, really likes them variety boxes, he's multiple that way

seasons change, people change, the balance of power in the pac 12 is changing, sean miller is never gonna change & stop eating them heart attack hand grenades, he loves them dunkin' donuts...who knew that huf is the lead singer for future islands?

bear down#
Cal8285
Cal Geek;842498185 said:

The LOI isn't an NCAA thing, it is a weird "other" committee thing. Not signing an LOI, then the NLOI rules are irrelevant, and only NCAA rules and individual school rules are relevant.

There is NO NCAA rule requiring signature of a parent or guardian for anyone who is at least 18. I am also not aware of any schools that require approval of a parent or guardian for a student to sign a scholarship agreement.

There is a question as to whether, given state and federal age discrimination laws, requiring a parent or guardian signature would be enforceable. So far as I am aware, however, no one has challenged the parent/guardian requirement of the LOI, in part because it wouldn't be worth the time and effort -- if the athlete and school want each other, they don't need the parent, they proceed without the LOI.

Interestingly, there is good reason to believe that the LOI is NOT binding on a student-athlete under the age of 18. A minor can generally disaffirm a contract, and it doesn't matter if a parent or guardian has signed. So far as I know, there was only one lawsuit filed by a student-athlete trying to get out of a LOI signed when she was a minor, but the courts never decided it, the school ultimately released her from the LOI.

The real question is, will an 18 year old young man defy the wishes of a parent/guardian, and does a coach want to take a player who doesn't have the support of a parent/guardian? Legally, however, absolutely nothing would prevent Swanigan from attending a school against the wishes of his legal guardian(s).
mikecohen
Shocky1;842498364 said:

sean (petting his dog lute on the head): "lute, you're really my only friend, how do you think next season is gonna be vs cal?"

So, a guy walks into a bar and asked the bartender for a free drink 'cause he's got a talking dog; and the bartender says: Show me. So the guy says to the dog: What's all over the house?; and the dog says: Roof; and the bartender is not convinced; so the guy says to the dog: What's the opposite of smooth?; and the dog says: rough; and the bartender, getting annoyed, says I'll give you one more chance; and the guy says to the dog: Who was the greatest baseball hitter of all times?; and the dog says: Ruth (all three answers sounding pretty much the same); and the bartender throws the guy and the dog out of the bar; and the dog says: Maybe I should've said DiMaggio.
joe amos yaks
I bet Coach Miller goes for the glazed French cruller.

BTW--
"How do you know you are in a Tucson hotel?
You call down to the front desk and say 'I gotta leak in my sink' and they say 'go ahead.'"
Jeff82
mikecohen;842498441 said:

Shocky1;842498364 said:

So, a guy walks into a bar and asked the bartender for a free drink 'cause he's got a talking dog; and the bartender says: Show me. So the guy says to the dog: What's all over the house?; and the dog says: Roof; and the bartender is not convinced; so the guy says to the dog: What's the opposite of smooth?; and the dog says: rough; and the bartender, getting annoyed, says I'll give you one more chance; and the guy says to the dog: Who was the greatest baseball hitter of all times?; and the dog says: Ruth (all three answers sounding pretty much the same); and the bartender throws the guy and the dog out of the bar; and the dog says: Maybe I should've said DiMaggio.

He'll be here all week. Have the veal.
mikecohen
Jeff82;842498572 said:

mikecohen;842498441 said:

He'll be here all week. Have the veal.

OK, I'll bite: Who is "He"? (as in "He'll be here all week.")
Shocky1
Shocky1;842498364 said:

note to my targeted audience: dimaggio (who grew up in san francisco) was briefly married to marilyn while he was a new york yankee...andrea bocelli is blind & sarah brightman got that curvy brunette look that draws me in
gobears725
Shocky1;842498364 said:

jeff goodman is reporting that the emotionally distraught arizona head coach had the following paranoid conversation with his pool guy trevor (an arizona grad) this morning at his catalina foothils home (which is at the end of a cul de sac of a mediocre cartball course):

trevor the pool guy: "mr miller, would you like me to sweep the pool steps today?"

sean miller (putting down the 2 glazed with sprinkles donuts he's eating for breakfast along with a zero coke): "what the **** are you talking about?...you think we lose twice to wisconsin and now cal is gonna sweep us next season?...quit ******* with me"

trevor: "mr miller, all i'm saying is..."

sean: "look pal, i'm know exactly what you're saying, do you think i'm ******* stupid?...that cal and that bald azz coach is gonna be the new alpha dog in the pac 12...trust me, i hear exactly what you're saying...if you don't like cleaning my pool, you should get the **** out of here and go clean the pools at asu"

josh gershon is now reporting the following tense arizona staff meeting from the bowels of mckale this morning:

sean: "what's going on with you ugly dumb azz clowns?...did you watch the mcdonalds game, allonzo trier jacked up 20 shots, what's up with that?"

joe: "coach, i think..."

sean: "shut the **** up, joe, don't talk unless i ask you to talk, ok?...you're the dumb azz who told me to jettison tyler dorsey and his little league dad for trier...if i wanted a guard to jack up a million lousy shots a game we could've kept td"

damon: "coach, what does jettison mean?"

sean: "shut the **** up, damon...you really are stupid, where did you go to college?"

silence in the room

sean: "look, all i ask is that you dumb azz bitches get me 3-4 basketball players a year that all they wanna to do is play basketball with a basketball on the basketball floor, is that asking for too much?...it's not like cal or stanford where you gotta find guys that can actually read and **** like that"

sean scarfs down the final chocolate glazed donut with fuchsia sprinkles from the double sized box

sean: "if that bald azz guy in berkeley gets his program ahead of my program next season, you sorry broken down candy azz soft clowns are gonna be busing tables at the applebees on craycroft"

miller storms out of the room & the door slams closed

damon (shaking his head): "you got yours printed up?"

joe: "yeah, i'm a step ahead, mine will be ready at kinkos at 5:30 pm today"

sean miller needs a yoga practice#

********************************************************************************

jason scheer is reporting that tucson is a dump & that sean miller had the following heated conversation at his catalina foothills home (on a mediocre golf course for chunky cartballers):

amy miller: "come on sean, put down the maple glazed donuts and come swim with me and the kids"

sean miller (looking at his bloated belly while taking a couple more bites): "that doesn't sound like any fun"

amy: "sweetie, things aren't that bad, didn't you out recruit cal for one guy this year?"

sean: "are you ******* kidding?...mark ******* tollefsen?

amy: "fine, throw a pity party for yourself"

sean: "trust me, i will"

**********************************************************************************

adam schimdt is tweeting he overheard the following angry interaction from the bowels of mckale this morning:

athletic director greg bryne: "sean, gotta be honest here, i'm a little more than worried about your stress levels and behavior these days, you're cursing at your staff daily and gaining a lot of weight...jim and arte are concerned too"

sean (wiping his mouth with his arizona golf shirt to get the red & blue sprinkles off his lips while picking up another donut): "what the **** are you talkin' about?"

greg (with a sigh): "why did damon leave for basically a lateral position at memphis?"

sean (talking with his mouth full): "who knows, who cares, him and josh always had some weird **** going on, anyways we don't need any more guys from the northwest to be successful"

greg: "do you think you'll be able to beat cal 3 times again next season?"

sean picks up the dunkin' donuts variety pack box in front of him, tucks it under his arm & walks out while slamming the door...he really, really likes them variety boxes, he's multiple that way

seasons change, people change, the balance of power in the pac 12 is changing, sean miller is never gonna change & stop eating them heart attack hand grenades, he loves them dunkin' donuts...who knew that huf is the lead singer for future islands?

bear down#

doesnt miller look a lot like jimmy kimmel?
Shocky1
gobears725;842498679 said:

doesnt miller look a lot like jimmy kimmel?

not on a dunkin' donuts variety assortment box day, that's for sure
Shocky1

not gonna happen#
HoopDreams
[video=youtube;gf9xSAfAsb4][/video]

HoopDreams
[video=youtube;7zMQQ7Wf2Ug][/video]

First Page Last Page
Page 195 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.