cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,277,485 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
SaintBear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
concordtom;842579445 said:

Right.
Scheduled to be "replaced" due to graduation in 2017 are:
1) Jabari Bird
2) Jordan Mathews
3) Stephen Domingo
4) Sam Singer
5) Roger Moute a Bidias

6) Additionally, Kameron Rooks could graduate in 4 scholastic years and be done with Cal, either never using his injury earned RS Sr. season, a la Jordan Wilkes, or being a graduate transfer elsewhere.
7) Additionally, if Ivan Rabb is a 2-and-done, he would also need replacement.

Yes, I'd call that RELOAD.

Agreed. We're going to need to be "great" in 2017 in large part because we have a top 10/top 5 class otherwise we're going to see a big step back

Okoroh
Jolly
Frayer
Chauca
Davis
Hickman

We may have 7 open scholarships and the group above isn't going to compete for the Pac 12 title
mikecohen
CalHoopFan;842579578 said:

Agreed. We're going to need to be "great" in 2017 in large part because we have a top 10/top 5 class otherwise we're going to see a big step back

Okoroh
Jolly
Frayer
Chauca
Davis
Hickman

We may have 7 open scholarships and the group above isn't going to compete for the Pac 12 title

I dunno: Those guys, with two years experience and coaching by the current staff (which looks very good to me, from what I've seen) looks like a very high quality group; and I don't think we can assume that subsequently recruited guys won't be high quality.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5][FONT=Arial Black]be there...[/FONT][/SIZE]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842529395 said:

cal has offered brandon mccoy, a 7' 235 lbs true 5 & top 25 player in the 2017 class from morse high school who has an opportunity to become one of the best players to ever come out of san diego

mccoy is already a relentless physical defender, rebounder & shot blocker with developing offensive skills with tremendous fluidity & athleticism to his movement
[video=youtube;YPp2FJHIkKQ][/video]

brandon got a 3.3 gpa & is interested in potential careers in either pharmacy or marine biology when his basketball playing days are done with him...dude is not a dumb azz, he realizes that his basketball playing days could be done forever in a split second injury & that he will need to be limitless mentally in order to achieve all his dreams in life & take care of moms

mccoy is a renaissance man, he taught himself to play the piano at age 13 after taking guitar lessons...he also won a middle school fair award after extracting dna from a banana

brandon grew up on the tough streets of chicago & it was a courageous decision for his moms mildred davis (a single parent), an army master sergeant who is now in the reserves to send her son to live with his guardian shaun manning who also serves as a mentor, coach & male role model

"my mom makes sure that i put school before anything...she doesn't care about basketball...all she cares about is academics...it's for me to accomplish my goals and to go to college and earn a degree and if the nba is in that conversation, then getting to the nba"
-brandon mccoy

yeah, the staff expects to sign multiple players in 2017 & there's no doubt that mccoy would be a standout center for cal's touch the sky class (2017)...brandon is truly a special young man with heart & skills that extend far beyond playing basketball on a basketball court with a basketball

brandon visited with the cal staff in berkeley this morning & then dominated in the prep2prep california all star classic 2017 class game this afternoon with 20 points & a redunkulous 17 boards & 3 blocks

actionable offer#

brandon mccoy is a jaylen brown/ivan rabb level talent with academic ambition
socaltownie
Shocky1;842579646 said:

brandon mccoy is a jaylen brown/ivan rabb level talent with academic ambition

Keep us in the loop on this one. I would be pleased and eager to go down the Road to Morse HS and maybe Ken Montgomery will allow me to bring his Cal flag held by SCT's family dressed in Bear gear.
Shocky1
socaltownie;842579647 said:

Keep us in the loop on this one. I would be pleased and eager to go down the Road to Morse HS and maybe Ken Montgomery will allow me to bring his Cal flag held by SCT's family dressed in Bear gear.

great idea, i dunno maybe i'll fly in to check out brandon mccoy & catch a chargers game too...trust me, young ivee is not a san diego fan

road trip#
socaltownie
Shocky1;842579653 said:

great idea, i dunno maybe i'll fly in to check out brandon mccoy & catch a chargers game too...trust me, young ivee is not a san diego fan

road trip#

SO will buy you a stone pale ale. Just got things arranged for seeing Bears play East Carolina (wee) and Oregon State. Trying to work hard on more juggling (January 23rd is on top of list for desire - still trying to fiddle that date in). Frustrated this is another year in a row they are not playing at home over Pres day.

I tried to sell Thanksgiving in Vegas and got absolutely no takers by in-laws. I thought about moving but I do like wife #1.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842480527 said:

taylor & i power walked from the nines thru chinatown & past a crowd of 100+ non yoga practicing chunkys waiting outside of voodoo doughnuts & then across the steel bridge over the willamette river to the moda center & back again after the 2015 nike hoop summit...them doughnuts sure looked tasty but if kameron rooks can core out, we can too

it should be noted that the game was played with international rules, 2 of the refs spoke to each other in a an eastern bloc language, with very few fouls & pushing on every sequence...also the game was impacted by selfish guard play that dominated the ball

taylor & i sat on the floor behind the basket & yelled at ivan during warm ups "hey ivan, let's do this" (me) & "go to the bears, ivan" (taylor) and he glanced over with a surprised look ("what are they doing here?) and smiled with a quick nod

we also yelled at jaylen brown, he responded with what could be best described as a laughing smirk

players notes:

ivan rabb: not many touches, competed underneath the basket for rebounds & blocked thon maker a couple of times...started the game with a leg brace & then left the game for good after a vicious poke in the eyes

jaylen brown: what an athlete, the best defender in the game with numerous disruptions of passes...offensively drained shots from all over the court ala patrick christopher during warm ups...nba body with a physical & graceful style of play...like ivan, very unselfish in sharing the ball

alonzo trier: followed up his 6-20 shooting at the mcdonalds game with 4-14 shooting at the nike summit...the arizona commit lacks court vision & jacks up the ball without even looking for his teammates, he's gonna shoot the wildcats out of games next season in tucson...life with sean miller is gonna be a rude awakening for trier

luke kennard: the best facilitator on the usa team, the duke commit is an absolute pure shooter with a mature shot selection (9-18 fgs) & much quicker defensively than anticipated

caleb swanigan: plays very physically but still needs major s&c conditioning...his low release point shooting form along with limited hops resulted in several of his shots being blocked by the uber high flying bigs on the world team before he was eventually benched

jamal murray: impressive guard from canada with a relentless basket attacking mode scored a game high 30 points...usa guards most notably allonzo trier played fundamentally weak azz d (reaching with arms, not moving feet) in ineffectively trying to guard murray...the canadian guard from ontario is looking to potentially reclassify from 2016 to 2015 and a nike sr employee told me his dad is leaning towards criminal dana altman's oregon ducks

ben simmons: most well rounded player in the game with 13 points, 8 rebound & 8 assists

skal labissiere: the guy nba scouts like the most from the 2015 class, skal scored 21 points along with 8 boards...the kentucky donor we sat by told me that coach cal told him that marcus lee is gonna return to lexington again next season, gotta have them practice players & that skal may not be cleared by the ncaa

brenden glapion: much to taylor's chagrin, the pride of washington high school dnp...sorry sweetie

Hi Bears Fans!!!

It's really fun to watch our guys play in high school & cheer for them.

My Dad & I think that the major reason both Ivan & Jaylen decided to go to Cal is because we screamed at them at the Nike Hoop Summit to go to Cal.

Also we saw Oscar Frayer when he played in North Phoenix. I've never seen anyone jump so high without a trampoline!

What are you doing to support the Bears?

XXXOOO

Taylor (Prez of the Brenden Glapion fan club)
HoopDreams

Shocky1
Shocky1;842505293 said:

the bears staff has extended an actionable offer to troy brown jr, a 6'4" 175 lbs point guard from las vegas centennial & the #2 ranked player in the 2017 class

brown is playing aau ball this summer for the las vegas prospects under the watchful eyes of cal coaches...troy is a combo guard (coach martin loves guys who are multiple) with extraordinary length with lethal passing skills & a deadly shooting touch

what's the best thing about troy?...he's got a 3.7 gpa including ap & honors classes, basketball is not gonna define troy brown jr & that's really bad news for academically mediocre schools that are recruiting this true student athlete...this could play out as a cal vs stanford (assuming dawkins is retained for 2017 if the cards fail as expected to make the ncca tournament this season for an abysmal 7th time out of his 8 year run in palo alto) epic recruiting battle along with duke

troy would be an amazing leader to cal's touch the sky class (2017)...he's no lupe fiasco, that's for sure

coach martin along with assistants yann, tracy & wyking have been visibly watching troy distribute/facilitate his teammates & knock down jumpers along with a couple of thunderous attacking dunks both yesterday at rancho high school & today at desert pines high school at the las vegas classic

troy is 6'5" with the potential to grow to 6'7" & prefers to play the 1 but can also swing to the 2 & 3...the bears utilization this season of t-wall, another tall point guard, will likely be a strong indicator to brown of the cal staff's potential utilization of him if he commits to them california golden bears

let's be real here, with a 7 year pac 12 record of 56-68, only 1 ncca tournament appearance, rapidly declining attendance/an apathetic fan base in palo alto along with potentially a 2015 pac 12 cellar finish for the cards, johnny dawkins is definitely on the hot seat

this current cal vs stanford along with duke recruiting battle is gonna be impacted by this season's fortunes for both the bears & the cards...with brown's academic ambition, it's hard to imagine him seriously considering an academically mediocre school, troy's definitely not a dumb azz

troy brown, the #2 ranked player in the 2017 class, unofficially visited cal in late september & got a 3.7 gpa
bar20
Shocky1;842579295 said:

the california golden bears are ranked as a top 12 team in the nation heading into the upcoming season after the greatest recruiting class in the history of cal basketball, cal's diamonds are forever class (2015)

the bears did not "miss" on vance jackson...both vance jr & his dad have made it clear they're not interested in academic ambition, jackson wanted to attend "a pure basketball school," therefore in retrospect he was never a fit at the #1 ranked public university in the world.

If that was true why did he have his choices down to two schools, us and UCONN
Shocky1
bar20;842579693 said:

If that was true why did he have his choices down to two schools, us and UCONN

sorry but i'm done talking about vantastic & his dad
Shocky1
Shocky1;842508977 said:

the cal staff is actively targeting with an actionable offer ira lee a 6'8"+ 205 lbs power forward from sierra canyon (chatsworth), a top 20 player in the 2017 class

lee missed his sophomore season after undergoing shoulder surgery but is "95%" of the way back now...dude is very physical down low & is currently playing for the oakland soldiers

this is likely gonna be yet another cal, arizona & ucla recruiting battle with ira planning to unofficially visit with his family both berkeley (65% today) & tucson (109% today) this july

ira is a strong student (duke & stanford have also show interest) which is gonna hurt an academically mediocre school like arizona...his decision will focus upon "coaching style, atmosphere and education"

"i like the way they play...coach martin said he'll get me to the next level...i like the way they do things up there...they are trying to build up and win a championship"
-ira lee

lee has already accompanied his sierra canyon teammates to berkeley for one state championship

yeah, ira would an ideal cal fit to replace ivan rabb in 2017 & help them bears touch the sky

important positive development for the bears in the ira lee sweepstakes recruiting battle:

ucla has blinked & taken their 2017 power forward by accepting the commitment of jalen hill during an unofficial visit to pauley pavilion this morning...hill also considered cal & arizona but never made any visits to either school citing his interest in staying close to home as a key factor in his decision but also weighing into his commitment was the lack of an actionable offer at this time from either cal or arizona

this was expected as hill is gonna be joining his corona centennial teammate 2016 big ike arigbogu in westwood

this means the bears will now likely be primarily battling the wildcats for ira lee with the bruins now out of the picture

lee is more athletic, taller & a better student than hill...ira is a major recruiting priority target for cal's touch the sky class (2017)

the poker game#

the cal staff is in almost daily communication with ira lee & his family, huge priority target for 2017
Shocky1
coach martin visited & offered on september 30th 7' 230 lbs ikechukwu obiagu, a dominating top 10 player in the 2017 class from the greenforest christian academy in atlanta

obiagu is an extremely long & athletic rim protector & rebounder that is often compared to dikembe mutombo because of his ability to dominate the paint...he is extremely mobile for his size & can run the floor

ikechukwu took unofficial visits this july to vanderbilt, auburn & in state georgia...obiagu is not a dumb azz like lupe fiasco, he's a good student

[video=youtube;-VS4-4vcFzA][/video]

yeah, ikechukwu obiagu would be a true student athlete addition to cal's touch the sky class (2017)...like jaylen brown, maybe ikechukwu is gonna put atlanta on his back & fall in the california sunlight

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including atlanta)
Shocky1
Shocky1;842529201 said:

the fashion police: what not to wear

sammy, what up with the cal basketball shorts at bondi beach?

roman, wearing a high school prom cummerbund around the waist is a beach fashion nightmare, you might not know how to speak australian but that outfit is speaking volumes

jaylen rockin' the stylish tapered trunks with the simple drawstring & the clean shades, no wonder them curvy brunette yoga girls wanna talk to you as you put atlanta on the map

huf, are you gonna audition for jersey boys with the accessorized gold chain?...where's paulie?

ivan, not sure that foot locker beachwear is working for you the same way you work around the basket

shut up, shocky#

let's be real here, it's pretty obvious that meb fund dollars are not being spent on swimming attire

don't be a dumb azz#
bar20
Shocky1;842579705 said:

sorry but i'm done talking about vantastic & his dad

I understand. Let's talk about Marcus Lee. It's been a couple of days since his name has been mentioned.
HoopDreams
MSaviolives
HoopDreams;842579886 said:

With our two "Diaper Dandies" how could we not be Dicky V's favorites? I can't explain why, but for some reason I like Dicky V, when ordinarily I cant' stand listening to a guy like that. Part of it is that what he does is not a put on--he really is that guy on or off the court.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]okay, now they will be signing autographs before the scrimmage...
[/SIZE]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842415274 said:

me: taylor and i are gonna go practice drive around carefree tonite, anybody wanna go?

shay: dad, i have homework from five honors classes and have zero interest in reconstructive surgery

kyle: no, i'm going skateboarding later

me: got it, you'd rather fall on concrete than go in a car with taylor driving

kat (current 1st wife): am i the named beneficiary of all the life insurance policies?

me: typical comment from an asu golddigger

kat: didn't you live in an apartment on a landfill with orange carpet when we first met?

me: yeah but you knew i was a cal grad

kat: whatever...go bears

me: anybody wanna go with us?

at that point i notice my rescue pets happy, misty mae, trouble, mugsy & minko stinko all slinking upstairs...man's best friend my azz

taylor: do you think ivan rabb wants to go with us?

me: love you, taylor, are you ready to go?

taylor: no, i have to put on my makeup

me: what are you talking about?...we're driving alone at night, are you expecting to meet any cute paramedics tonite?

shay: dad, do you want me to print out for you the phone number for the mayo clinic emergency room?

kat: good luck tonite, champ

beep beep#

taylor got her driver's license today

today was a good day

be afraid#

Shocky1
Shocky1;842443515 said:

jade smith is a 6'2" 160 lbs 2017 point guard from st joseph's in alameda...smith is being actively scouted by the bears coaching staff as #5 for the pilots brings length, speed & overall strong court awareness to the court...jade's height creates mismatches against opposing guards & his decision making/floor vision are exceptional

yeah, there was another dude who played the 1 and facilitated his teammates as a standout for st joe, cal & in the nba back in the day

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including oakland)

congrats to jade smith on his offer from coach martin after his 5 hour unofficial visit to cal sunday including watching them california golden bears practice & getting the vip tour from coach hufnagel

smith has gotta work on his shooting touch, continue to develop strength & work harder in the classroom to raise his current 3.0 gpa

jade is a key targeted prospect for cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco that's for sure...dude is a man of steel when shooting game winning moneyball free throws with everything on the line, kinda like another #5 from st joe's who played for the bears

[video=youtube;FWMj0G0ahJ4][/video]

bay area's finest#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][FONT=Arial Black]Cal thinking big
[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4]https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/10/28/cal-basketball-embraces-big-expectations/[/SIZE]
Shocky1
the cal staff is actively recruiting rj nembhard, a 6'3" 170 lbs top 100 player in the 2017 class from keller high school in texas

nembhard reminds me of t-wall with his ability to break down defenders with his superior size & athleticism and also ability to slide to the 2 at times

texas, oklahoma & new mexico are among rj's many collegiate options but moms grew up in san diego & as a financial industry professional the family recongizes the value of a cal degree, the doors it can open for a lifetime

[video=youtube;hyZn0L_woYo][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including texas)

50 year decision#
MSaviolives
Shocky1;842580112 said:

the cal staff is actively recruiting rj nembhard, a 6'3" 170 lbs top 100 player in the 2017 class from keller high school in texas

nembhard reminds me of t-wall with his ability to break down defenders with his superior size & athleticism and also ability to slide to the 2 at times

texas, oklahoma & new mexico are among rj's many collegiate options but moms grew up in san diego & as a financial industry professional the family recongizes the value of a cal degree, the doors it can open for a lifetime

[video=youtube;hyZn0L_woYo][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including texas)

50 year decision#

Rj-- you really need to watch this video. It's about the Texas players on Cal's football team this season. They talk about what it means to come from Texas and go to school at Cal. The incredible weather. The diversity of people and thought. The beauty of the Bay Area. The honor of attending the #1 public university in....THE ENTIRE WORLD. Shocky's right--it's a 50 year decision. But the years in Berkeley pretty much kiss a$$ too.
Shocky1
charles o'bannon jr, a 6'5" 190 lbs top 40 player in the 2017 class from bishop gorman high school & the las vegas prospects, has been offered by coach martin

o'bannon got serious length (and is still growing) along with lethal behind the 3 point line shooting skills along with a solid mid range game...charles is multiple like the guys in cal's diamonds are forever class (2015)...he's working this summer on both his d & ball handling skills

charles is a highly coveted national recruit with ucla (dad & uncle played there), arizona, kansas, uconn, unlv & louisville all targeting the articulate student athlete...but only the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world offers an elite combination of academics & basketball in a family environment along with ideal weather in the diverse & cosmopolitan bay area

yeah, o'bannon would be a strong fit with cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco that's for sure

chuck got an aau coach who is in his ear all the time re: the #1 public university in the world

yeah, that would be monty buckley

last time buckley recruited a kidd for the bears it turned out all right

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including las vegas)
Shocky1
friday november 13th at 8:30 pm, an epic night for the ages

diamonds are forever (with fuchsia socks)#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842517293 said:

coach martin has offered shooting jaylen nowell, a 6'4" 170 lbs top 35 player in the 2017 class from garfield high school in seattle & the seattle rotary...nowell is quick & aggressive with downtown range from the vip section & is developing his defensive skills

jaylen's dad mike passed on this may after a heroic battle with cancer & his son honored his beloved father by making the u16 team usa this june

coach martin watched nowell this week in las vegas as the seattle rotary (including teammate daejon davis) battled them oakland soldiers

i told the cal staff several months ago that jaylen's uncle travis decuire told me that nowell was essentially a cal silent commitment when td was with the staff, a fact that the staff was unaware of at the time...since that time coach hufnagel has ramped up jaylen's recruitment

td told me back in the day that jaylen is an outstanding student & that moms lanie's policy is academic achievement is a requirement for participation in any sports...yeah, jaylen's got academic ambition & a 3.5 gpa

jaylen has already made a promise to officially visit cal & this will likely be a cal, washington & stanford battle...nowell would be an outstanding leader to cal's touch the sky class (2017)

"i'm going to ride this through and eventually play for the coach that i really enjoy talking to and who i feel i have the best connection with"
-jaylen nowell

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:gobears:

as a former cal silent commitment, jaylen has envisioned himself as a california golden bear...nowell is the real deal, a +1 athlete with academic ambition
Shocky1
jemarl baker is a rising 6'2" 165 lbs 2017 guard from roosevelt high school in eastvale (northwestern riverside county) & a key player on the earl watson aau summer team

baker is a scorer with deep range to 22 feet with strong ball skills...he can knock down shots off the catch & also finish with pull up jumpers

both cal & san diego offered baker this july along with an earlier offer from usc & the bears staff will continue to build relationships with the high character young man

yeah, jemarl's game would benefit from working with coach nicodemus in cal's elite & challenging s&c program

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including southern california)
Shocky1
the cal basketball staff is actively scouting ernie sears, a 6'3" 160 lbs athletic high motor combo guard in the 2017 class from bishop alemany from mission hills (home of kam rooks)...sears is more of a wing than a point guard at this time

ernie is a high energy guy just like his dad who played for the bears back in the day & has grown 2 inches in the past year...sears is continuing to show improvement in his jumper & is an excellent student athlete with academic ambition (harvard is also on his radar)

yeah, cal's touch the sky class (2017) is expected by the coaches to be a large group of guys due to the expected departures at that time & ernie sears is gonna be seriously evaluated for potential inclusion

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:gobears:
Shocky1
"at the end of the day...i love girls with boyfriends"

-oscar frayer

oscar, this is unhealthy & ******* messed up thinking (and totally unnecessary)...why do you want all that drama in your life?...marcus green is gonna have his hands full with you

you gotta get a yoga practice like jaylen & myself and get your head right

don't be a dumb azz for a sweet azz#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=7][U]Friday...[/U][/SIZE]

Shocky1
"i heard the last game he (dejan) had 40 points against yale so we was like we can't let this kid get 40 on us...i don't care if it's a warm up game or exhibition game, this has to stop right here but he is a good kid and i give full credit to his talent and potential...the sky is the limit for him'
-jaylen brown

"per ncca rules i can't talk about specific athletes but they had a pretty good player on their team"
-coach martin

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/basketball/jaylen-brown-ivan-rabb-impress-in-debut-game-for-university-of-california-20150816-gj0a77.html

australia's finest#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]''We understand what's going around on us. At the end of the day rankings only matter on paper,'' Rabb said. ''We're going to take advantage of these academics to become better men in life, too.''[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0000CD"]http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cal-freshmen-stars-brown-rabb-focused-school-first-002447672--ncaab.html[/COLOR]

HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Brown chose to come cross-country to Cal to have a balanced experience between athletics and academics. He learned the importance of that at home.

''It definitely is a blessing, I would say, to have parents like I did and grandparents like I did to teach us to understand and to be able to advocate for ourselves,'' Brown said. ''I appreciate that so much.''

In fact, when Brown was around sixth grade, his grandmother, Diane Varnado, required him and older brother Quenton to write a paper explaining why they wanted an Xbox 360 video game console.

''She made us tell her why we wanted it and what would be the benefit and we came up with some lame excuse like hand-eye coordination,''
[/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=5]Hey Jaylen, didn't you know that Playstation > Xbox?[/SIZE][/FONT]

Shocky1
"i had the best class experience today can't get it off my mind"
-jaylen brown, noted philosopher & yoga practitioner

"a missed education is perhaps life's greatest tragedy"
-the shockster, unnoted philosopher & yoga practitioner

academic ambition#
First Page Last Page
Page 235 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.