cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,290,887 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
Shocky1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Shocky1;842505293 said:

coach martin has extended an actionable offer to troy brown jr, a 6'4" 175 lbs point guard from las vegas centennial & the #2 ranked player in the 2017 class

brown is playing aau ball this summer for the las vegas prospects under the watchful eyes of cal coaches...troy is a combo guard (coach martin loves guys who are multiple) with extraordinary length with lethal passing skills & a deadly shooting touch

what's the best thing about troy?...he's got a 3.7 gpa including advanced placement & honors classes, basketball is not gonna define troy brown jr & that's really bad news for academically mediocre schools that are recruiting this true student athlete...this could play out as a cal vs stanford (assuming dawkins is retained for 2017 if the cards fail as expected to make the ncca tournament this season for an abysmal 7th time out of his 8 year run in palo alto) epic recruiting battle along with kansas (sister is a jayhawk with a fun sports blog) among other national powerhouses

troy would be an amazing leader to cal's touch the sky class (2017)...he's no lupe fiasco, that's for sure

coach martin along with assistants yann, tracy & wyking have been visibly watching troy distribute/facilitate his teammates & knock down jumpers along with a couple of thunderous attacking dunks both yesterday at rancho high school & today at desert pines high school at the las vegas classic

troy is 6'5" with the potential to grow to 6'7" & prefers to play the 1 but can also swing to the 2 & 3...the bears utilization this season of t-wall, another tall point guard, will likely be a strong indicator to brown of the cal staff's potential utilization of him if he commits to them california golden bears

let's be real here, with a 7 year pac 12 record of 56-68, only 1 ncca tournament appearance, rapidly declining attendance/an apathetic fan base in palo alto along with potentially a 2015 pac 12 cellar finish for the cards, johnny dawkins is definitely on the hot seat

this current cal vs stanford along with kansas & duke recruiting battle is gonna be impacted by this season's fortunes for both the bears & the cards...with brown's academic ambition, it's hard to imagine him seriously considering an academically mediocre school, troy's definitely not a dumb azz

troy, are you checking out the staff's successful utilization of tyrone wallace at the 1 & then sliding him to the 2 at times?

multiple#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842580205 said:

jemarl baker is a rising 6'2" 165 lbs 2017 guard from roosevelt high school in eastvale (northwestern riverside county) & a key player on the earl watson aau summer team

baker is a scorer with deep range to 22 feet with strong ball skills...he can knock down shots off the catch & also finish with pull up jumpers

both cal & san diego offered baker this july along with an earlier offer from usc & the bears staff will continue to build relationships with the high character young man

yeah, jemarl's game would benefit from working with coach nicodemus in cal's elite & challenging s&c program

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including southern california)

jemarl, do you know how important a recruiting target priority you are for the cal staff?

when they visited you a week or so ago you were the 1st prospect that the staff has ever traveled together on a private plane to check out

wheels up, baby#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6][COLOR="#0000CD"]Ivan Rabb = Deadly[/COLOR][/SIZE]

HoopDreams
[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=5]break it down...[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="#0000FF"][SIZE=5][FONT=Arial Black]http://pac-12.com/videos/beyond-box-score-pre-game-jam[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

BoaltBear
HoopDreams;842616954 said:

[SIZE=7][COLOR="#0000CD"][FONT=Comic Sans MS]you so fly
[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Fantastic picture. Love the crowd reactions. Can't wait to be there this Saturday for Coppin State. Should be fun!
Shocky1
the cal staff is actively recruiting rj nembhard, a 6'3" 170 lbs top 100 player in the 2017 class from keller high school in texas

nembhard is kinda like t-wall with his ability to break down defenders with his superior size & athleticism and also ability to slide to the 2 at times, the new tighter rules for officiating place a premium upon slashers

texas, oklahoma & new mexico are among rj's many collegiate options but moms grew up in san diego & as a financial industry professional the family recongizes the value of a cal degree, the doors it can open for a lifetime

[video=youtube;hyZn0L_woYo][/video]

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including texas)

50 year decision#
Shocky1
the cal staff is actively targeting with an actionable offer ira lee a 6'7"+ 205 lbs power forward from sierra canyon (chatsworth), a top 20 player in the 2017 class

lee missed his sophomore season after undergoing shoulder surgery but is "95%" of the way back now...dude is very physical down low & balls out with the oakland soldiers (which is unusual for a so cal guy)

this is likely gonna be yet another cal, arizona & ucla recruiting battle although the bruins are kinda set now at the 4 for future years

ira is a strong student (duke & stanford have also show interest) which is gonna hurt an academically mediocre school like arizona...his decision will focus upon "coaching style, atmosphere and education"

"i like the way they play...coach martin said he'll get me to the next level...i like the way they do things up there...they are trying to build up and win a championship"
-ira lee

lee has already accompanied his sierra canyon teammates to berkeley for one state championship

yeah, ira would an ideal cal fit to replace ivan rabb in 2017 & help them bears touch the sky

no wonder the cal staff is in almost daily contact with ira, he's that much of a cal fit

skyhigh#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the boardwalk)
Shocky1
cal has offered brandon mccoy, a 7' 235 lbs true 5 & top 25 player in the 2017 class from cathedral high school (previously attended morse) who has an opportunity to become one of the best players to ever come out of san diego

mccoy is already a relentless physical defender, rebounder & shot blocker with developing offensive skills with tremendous fluidity & athleticism to his movement
[video=youtube;YPp2FJHIkKQ][/video]

brandon got a 3.3 gpa & is interested in potential careers in either pharmacy or marine biology when his basketball playing days are done with him...dude is not a dumb azz, he realizes that his basketball playing days could be done forever in a split second injury & that he will need to be limitless mentally in order to achieve all his dreams in life & take care of moms

mccoy is a renaissance man, he taught himself to play the piano at age 13 after taking guitar lessons...he also won a middle school fair award after extracting dna from a banana

brandon grew up on the tough streets of chicago & it was a courageous decision for his moms mildred davis (a single parent), an army master sergeant who is now in the reserves to send her son to live with his guardian shaun manning who also serves as a mentor, coach & male role model

"my mom makes sure that i put school before anything...she doesn't care about basketball...all she cares about is academics...it's for me to accomplish my goals and to go to college and earn a degree and if the nba is in that conversation, then getting to the nba"
-brandon mccoy

yeah, the staff expects to sign multiple players in 2017 & there's no doubt that mccoy would be a standout center for cal's touch the sky class (2017)...brandon is truly a special young man with heart & skills that extend far beyond playing basketball on a basketball court with a basketball

brandon visited with the cal staff in berkeley on a saturday morning in october & then dominated in the prep2prep california all star classic 2017 class game this afternoon with 20 points & a redunkulous 17 boards & 3 blocks

actionable offer#
Shocky1
incarnate word (3-5) which had cal on the ropes late in the game at haas pavilion lost to our lady of the lake 99-97

let's be real here, i'll bet nobody know where that lady of the lake school is even located

roadtrip#
Shocky1
look, i'm tired of repeating myself but them california golden bears are at their best when they play like little kids playing basketball on the playground with their best friends

at the weird azz vibe orleans hotel in las vegas the bears were uptight & tense looking for 2 days with almost zero noise/energy from all the cal players, coaches & staff...taylor & i screamed more sitting courtside than this entire group of these mute sorry broken down sad azz clowns...and yeah they lost 2 games, big ******* surprise

and this has been a real problem this year other than the final 5 minutes of the wyoming, incarnate word & st marys games

coach martin, why do we always gotta wait until the final 5 minutes of the game before we amp it up & start supporting each other...is it an iron clad program rule that nobody is allowed to have fun?...have you told everybody to shut the **** up so you can think or something?

this team is not gonna reach its vast potential if we continue to act like constipated stoic fake models with gerbils jammed up our azzs

yeah, monmouth knows what i'm talking about, basketball is a game, we're not solving the world's poverty & hunger issues here, ok?

[video=youtube;87jdHDNOs-0][/video]
socaltownie
The Sistine Chapel thing may be the best thing since sliced bread. Loving the Monmouth kids effort.
calfanz
McCoy goes to Cathedral now.
Shocky1
calfanz;842617386 said:

McCoy goes to Cathedral now.

thx, post edited
Shocky1

art history 269: advanced study of the curvy yoga brunette in modern works

finals all week at the #1 public university in the world...finish strong

let's do this

my favorite class at cal#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]2017 6-5, San Francisco Sacred Heart Cathedral wing [COLOR="#0000CD"]Alfred Hollins[/COLOR] has Cal in his top 4...

"Cal, Arizona, LSU and Florida State are recruiting me the hardest and are my top four..."

on Cal: "It's a home feeling that's welcoming. They want to develop their players and make them better. It's real love there."[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Watch him play in Haas Pavillion at the 1:05 mark...[/SIZE]

[video=youtube;AJjTXZppL2E][/video]

HoopDreams
[COLOR="#0000CD"][SIZE=7][FONT=Impact]Air Jaylen[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shocky1
coach martin has offered shooting jaylen nowell, a 6'4" 170 lbs top 35 player in the 2017 class from garfield high school in seattle & the seattle rotary...nowell is quick & aggressive with downtown range from the vip section & is developing his defensive skills

jaylen's dad mike passed on last may after a heroic battle with cancer & his son honored his beloved father by making the u16 team usa this june

coach jones is responsible for seattle & las vegas and is jaylen's lead recruiter

i told the cal staff several months ago that jaylen's uncle travis decuire told me that nowell was essentially a cal silent commitment when td was with the staff, a fact that the staff was unaware of at the time

td told me back in the day that jaylen is an outstanding student & that moms lanie's policy is academic achievement is a requirement for participation in any sports...yeah, jaylen's got academic ambition & a 3.5 gpa

jaylen has already made a promise to officially visit cal & this will likely be a cal, washington & stanford battle...nowell would be an outstanding leader to cal's touch the sky class (2017)

"i'm going to ride this through and eventually play for the coach that i really enjoy talking to and who i feel i have the best connection with"
-jaylen nowell

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including the northwest):gobears:
Shocky1
charlie o'bannon jr, a 6'5" 190 lbs top 40 player in the 2017 class from bishop gorman high school & the las vegas prospects, has been offered by coach martin

o'bannon got serious length (and is still growing) along with lethal behind the 3 point line shooting skills along with a solid mid range game...charles is multiple like the guys in cal's diamonds are forever class (2015)...he's working this summer on both his d & ball handling skills

charlie is a highly coveted national recruit with ucla (dad & uncle played there), arizona, kansas, uconn, unlv & louisville all targeting the articulate student athlete...but only the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world offers an elite combination of academics & basketball in a family environment along with ideal weather in the diverse & cosmopolitan bay area

yeah, o'bannon would be a strong fit with cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco that's for sure

charlie got an aau coach who is in his ear all the time re: the #1 public university in the world

yeah, that would be monty buckley

last time buckley recruited a kidd for the bears it turned out all right for everybody

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including las vegas)
LOUMFSG2
Shocky1;842617366 said:

yeah, monmouth knows what i'm talking about, basketball is a game, we're not solving the world's poverty & hunger issues here, ok?

[video=youtube;87jdHDNOs-0][/video]

Nice post - by the way, Monmouth is officially my second favorite team in college basketball. Their bench is awesome.
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]ESPN's Jay Bilas put out his Bilas Index of his top 68 teams in the nation
There are FOURTEEN Cal opponents (gotta be a record)
And NINE Pac 12 teams (also gotta be a record)

Virginia
Arizona
Oregon
UCLA
Utah
Colorado
Richmond
Cal
ASU
USC
SDSU
Oregon St
Davidson
St Marys[/SIZE]

Shocky1
Shocky1;842443515 said:

jade smith is a 6'2" 160 lbs 2017 point guard from st joseph notre dame in alameda...smith got an offer from coach martin after a 5 hour unofficial visit in october as #5 for the pilots brings length, speed & overall strong court awareness to the court...jade's height creates mismatches against opposing guards & his decision making/floor vision are exceptional

yeah, there was another dude who played the 1 and facilitated his teammates as a standout for st joe, cal & in the nba back in the day

smith has gotta work on his shooting touch, continue to develop strength & work harder in the classroom to raise his current good but not great 3.0 gpa

jade is a key targeted prospect for cal's touch the sky class (2017), he's no lupe fiasco that's for sure...dude is a man of steel when shooting game winning moneyball free throws with everything on the line, kinda like another #5 from st joe's who played for the bears

[video=youtube;FWMj0G0ahJ4][/video]

jade smith scored 24 points with 10 field goals & a clutch 8-9 free throws as the undefeated st joesph pilots (5-0) navigated them oakland wildcats 57-53 at the damon lillard shootout

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including that college closest to moms)

bay area's finest#
HoopDreams
Shocky1
LOUMFSG2;842617643 said:

Nice post - by the way, Monmouth is officially my second favorite team in college basketball. Their bench is awesome.

lou, 100% agreed

mac dre#
Shocky1
jordan schakel

ethan thompson

the bears staff is actively recruiting bishop montgomery's class of 2017 dynamic duo of 6'5" 180 lbs jordan schakel & 6'5" 170 lbs ethan thompson

ethan scored 17 points & jordan scored 14 points in the bishop montgomery knight's opening game 58-56 endangerment of the santa margarita eagles

both guys are being coached up by longtime highly respected so cal basketball head coach doug mitchell...i met mitchell at the oakland airport on the rental car rental shuttle bus after he traveled north in support of his former player justin cobbs senior day game...mitchell places a strong emphasis upon academics & his relationships with his student athletes extends beyond their time in torrance...we talked about richard solomon who also played for mitchell before transferring to price high school with the hopes of playing less with his back to the basket & more as a stretch 4 (solo was a career .571 free throw % shooter during his 4 years at cal)

the question in these recruitments is do these young men really want to pursue their collegiate basketball experiences at the #1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world?...ethan's parents graduated from usc & ethan's dad stevie is an assistant coach at oregon state and his bro stevie is a freshman for the beavers

go knights#
Shocky1
the cal basketball staff is actively scouting ernie sears, a 6'3" 160 lbs athletic high motor combo guard in the 2017 class from bishop alemany from mission hills (home of kam rooks)...sears is more of a wing than a point guard at this time

ernie is a high energy guy just like his dad who played for the bears back in the day & has grown 2 inches in the past year...sears is continuing to show improvement in his jumper & is an excellent student athlete with academic ambition (harvard is also on his radar)

yeah, cal's touch the sky class (2017) is expected by the coaches to be a large group of 4-7 guys due to the expected departures at that time & ernie sears is gonna be seriously evaluated for potential inclusion

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world:gobears:
Shocky1
st marys smokes southern utah 92-36 to improve the gaels record to 8-1

the bears originally had a verbal commitment to play michigan state until cal's diamonds are forever class (2015) showed up in berkeley...izzo didn't want no part of that but bennett was willing to make the drive...sure hope marco harris never schedules a game at the gaels 3500 seat crackhouse, that's not in the best interests of the cal basketball program

let's be real here, curvy brunette yoga females at st marys wanna date & marry cal, stanford or ivy league grads when they leave moraga, that's just the way of the world

rpi#
NVBear78
Shocky1;842617883 said:

st marys smokes southern utah 92-36 to improve the gaels record to 8-1

the bears originally had a verbal commitment to play michigan state until cal's diamonds are forever class (2015) showed up in berkeley...izzo didn't want no part of that but bennett was willing to make the drive...sure hope marco harris never schedules a game at the gaels 3500 seat crackhouse, that's not in the best interests of the cal basketball program

let's be real here, curvy brunette yoga females at st marys wanna date & marry cal, stanford or ivy league grads when they leave moraga, that's just the way of the world

rpi#

Agree about not playing AT St. Mary's. I thought I heard we would have to play there next year? Hope that is not true.
Shocky1
NVBear78;842617907 said:

Agree about not playing AT St. Mary's. I thought I heard we would have to play there next year? Hope that is not true.

this year's game between cal & st marys was contractually a one & done

with the gaels returning their entire roster next season plus former cal recruit jordan ford & a huge chip on their shoulders after this year's close lose, it would make absolutely no sense for cal to play at tiny mckeon next season with only a couple of tixs for bears fans

cal should play a bay area school again on the saturday in december before finals at haas pavilion (which is large enough to accommodate both cal & our opponent's fans)...marco harris should give st marys the 1st right of refusal but if they're not interested, no worries, then offers should be extended to usf & santa clara

3500 seats is unacceptable#
concordtom
Shocky1;842617960 said:

with the gaels returning their entire roster next season plus former cal recruit jordan ford & a huge chip on their shoulders after this year's close lose, it would make absolutely no sense for cal to play at tiny mckeon next season with only a couple of tixs for bears fans

Reason #1:
Kick their ass and put the whole "we might lose to mighty St. Mary's" to rest. In other words, show EVERYONE who is boss!
... I never pegged you for a CHICKEN, Shocky. Jeez. Simply Stunning rationale coming from a big bear fan like you. Really. Men, or mice? Shocking!

Reason #2:
That would be a great game in many of our backyards.

Further.... why the hell - calling their smaller gym a "crack" house? In Moraga? Like, there is nothing more inappropriate about your attempts to sound hip.
socaltownie
concordtom;842618066 said:

Reason #1:
Kick their ass and put the whole "we might lose to mighty St. Mary's" to rest. In other words, show EVERYONE who is boss!
... I never pegged you for a CHICKEN, Shocky. Jeez. Simply Stunning rationale coming from a big bear fan like you. Really. Men, or mice? Shocking!

Reason #2:
That would be a great game in many of our backyards.

Further.... why the hell - calling their smaller gym a "crack" house? In Moraga? Like, there is nothing more inappropriate about your attempts to sound hip.

First, not going to defend shocksters written efforts. They speak for themselves.

But the underlying logic is perfectly sound. There is no, nada, zilch reason to play them there.

A) Guess what, we are not really needing to win the Orinda, Lafayette recruiting wars. If Saint Mary's had a regional following among HS students would totally agree but they don't. FAR better on that front frankly to play them in AUstralia - I like Bennet's pipeline but playing them at Moraga doesn't help break into that.
B) As noted prior, losing to them is killer. I don't care what their RPI is....it will always be seen as a bad loss unless they go 28 and 1 and beat other P5 teams. Sad but true
C) And it is more likely to lose there than at Haas.

You want to play a tough road game during december with easy travel? I will again say that the right home and home is with SDSU. As long as Steve F is at the helm their RPI should be good. COming to SD helps with both recruiting and alumni relations. It is a tough environment but not killer and good $$. And a home and home with them would likely become a very good thing over the years in respect to both programs.
Shocky1
former 7'1" cal walk on geoffrey frid from carlsbad has always got his luggage packed by the front door

mike montgomery told me frid would probably not play for the bears but that don't mean he couldn't have earned a degree from #1 ranked public university in the world

cal to mira costa junior college to northern arizona to csu-los angeles

for a guy (far right foto below) with a 3.5 gpa in high school, he's sure made a lot of dumb azz decisions that will impact the rest of his life

50 year decision#
Shocky1
socaltownie;842618093 said:

First, not going to defend shocksters written efforts. They speak for themselves.

But the underlying logic is perfectly sound. There is no, nada, zilch reason to play them there.

A) Guess what, we are not really needing to win the Orinda, Lafayette recruiting wars. If Saint Mary's had a regional following among HS students would totally agree but they don't. FAR better on that front frankly to play them in AUstralia - I like Bennet's pipeline but playing them at Moraga doesn't help break into that.
B) As noted prior, losing to them is killer. I don't care what their RPI is....it will always be seen as a bad loss unless they go 28 and 1 and beat other P5 teams. Sad but true
C) And it is more likely to lose there than at Haas.

You want to play a tough road game during december with easy travel? I will again say that the right home and home is with SDSU. As long as Steve F is at the helm their RPI should be good. COming to SD helps with both recruiting and alumni relations. It is a tough environment but not killer and good $$. And a home and home with them would likely become a very good thing over the years in respect to both programs.

guess what tom, the cal basketball program is a business

there are fans/donors working behind the scenes to generate more revenues for the assistant coaches salaries & a new practice facility along with funding for continued improvements to haas pavilion along with a greater travel budget for national (vs local) recruiting along with more dollars so that key guys like dwight tarwater & jay kim can travel with the team to away games

how do you think the team's trip this august to australia got paid, do you think it was monopoly money?

the ncca allows 31 d1 basketball games a season, each game must absolutely maximize revenue dollars for the basketball program...the receipts for a 3500 crackhouse are nothing compared to 10000 paid tickets at haas pavillion, smoking the pipe is not good for the team's fiscal health

a smart 12 year old with any financial common sense would already know this

don't be a dumb azz#
Shocky1
Shocky1;842613886 said:

let's be real here, miss paddlebrooks a 63 year old recess monitor with a bum hip at montera (somebody tell jeff faraudo how to spell it rite) middle school in oakland has taken away more basketballs (after the lunch hour) than them sorry broken down candy azz soft california golden bears during the last 30 days, ok?

kinda wish some of them current bears had more of a **** you up attitude like miss paddlebrooks & tyson jolly, they will knock you on your azz & take that basketball every time

tied for 342nd in the nation in forcing turnovers#

great news, them california golden bears are now #343 in the nation is forcing the least amount of turnovers, there are only 3 more teams to pass up in order to win this title

coach martin should dump this entire team except my boyz the walk ons for 13 scholly guys from the projects who grew up with single moms on food stamps that had to fight for everything...maybe then we could create hostile pressure on d & actually force a turnover
Shocky1
Shocky1;842616548 said:

are you ******* deaf?...why aren't you moving right now?...i really don't give a **** that you wanna sleep another 15 minutes, ok?

this is what your dumb azz is gonna look like working the night shift at the 7/11 in walnut creek in a couple of years if you don't start studying for your finals

and no, i don't want a lottery ticket with my gas, i took statistics classes at cal, just give me my change

sleeping is for losers#

south bender has made it clear that i owe him & the 7/11 employees in walnut creek an apology, that's totally understandable

ok, you got it, i should've stated that "this is what your dumb azz is gonna look like working the afternoon shift at the wendys in fremont in a couple of years if you don't start studying for your finals"

shocky needs more yoga#
HoopDreams
[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=5]"A lot of people from the inner city don't get the opportunity [to come to Cal], so for me it was just another opportunity to prove [people] wrong that I could make it here, just like I made it at [Bishop] O'Dowd, [when] they said I wasn't intelligent enough," [/SIZE]
[/FONT]

First Page Last Page
Page 254 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.