cal's monster class - thread CLOSED - PLEASE do not post here

3,268,073 Views | 11555 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by BearGreg
mikecohen
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TheSouseFamily;842632442 said:

The stats don't bear his out. You cite Jabari Bird and his mid-range jumper but unfortunately, Jabari is at 32% for 2-point jump shots this year. As I've said before, the mid-range jumper (in general) is the most inefficient offensive play in basketball. I'm not sure why people think these shots are high percentage shots or "quasi automatic". They aren't. Anywhere. For any program. Nationally, the 2 point jumper success rate is about the same as the 3 point jumper rate.

Check the numbers here: http://hoop-math.com/California2016.php

There are 2-point jump shots and 2-point jump shots. Getting an insight from Bernard King (and maybe Mareese Speights and Shaun Livingston - and maybe Morris Taft), it looks to me like there are certain points on the floor where good 2-point jump shooters are particularly accurate (sometimes almost automatic); and I have the (admittedly vague) impression that Jabari and Jaylen have something like those points near the lane (i.e., where it might be most likely to look like the possibility of a drive - as opposed, for example to David Kravish and Robert Thurman, who had those points on the Floor but were virtually never a threat to drive).
mikecohen
bluesaxe;842632559 said:

There's something to be said, for sure, but does the same heading apply to Ty Wallace? Love the guy, he needs to move the ball though.

a particularly interesting point you make. Although I do feel there are certain improvements in Wallace's game so far this season, it does appear that he has hit a wall in the development of those areas which, at least to us on this board (and certainly to me) seem most important, i.e., free-throw shooting, finishing and/or passing out of dicey situations (I think he's improved in finishing, but mainly because of what-looks-to-me-like better weaving through traffic which is not that heavy, not, like Curry, where the observer, and apparently the defender or defenders in heavy traffic, often cannot predict what the finish will be - also, of course, Curry is much better in deciding against trying to finish - rather dribbling or passing out of there). Also, particularly disappointing is in the point-guard-category of being able to shape the floor with vision, movement and passing, in a half-court situation, so as to create the passing lanes and passes which define good point guard play - although I can't tell the extent to which that lack in our team may have more to do with the time it takes to develop that teamwork, which also involves a lot of movement without the ball (which I don't see on our team) and maybe coaching (i.e., coaching movement without the ball). Sometimes on the Warriors, the amount of movement without the ball in the half-court set looks to me like Grand Central Station at rush hour. Are we (am I) too spoiled by the Warriors to be fair to our guys? Is it at all realistic to think that our guys (i.e., coaches and players) could learn from their professional neighbors?
mikecohen
HoopDreams;842632910 said:

[SIZE=6][FONT=Arial Black]"dial in"[/FONT][/SIZE]

Am I imagining that those girls look like they're wearing ghost-type, whiteface makeup?
BearsObserver

Shocky1;842625288 said:

cal family#
Shocky1
poor decisions on the road is fatal

the grind (gotta get better)#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]Refs beat the Bears tonight
Sat both Rabb and Brown for majority of the game
at least they had good seats[/SIZE]

Shocky1
washington (11-5/1-3) gets blown out in tucson 99-67 by arizona (14-3/2-2) with zeus back in the starting lineup & 13 boards

arizona state (11-6/1-3) led by its academically challenged jc guys schooled washington state (9-7/1-3) 84-73 in tempe

oregon (14-3/3-1) knocked down 16 of 22 free throws (72.7%) to win 77-59 on the road at utah (12-5/1-3)

st mary (15-2) continues to take mediocre conference opponents on dizzyland rides in matterhorning pacific 78-62 at the gaels tiny crack house in moraga
Shocky1
"on the road you have to execute a lot more...teams have higher energy on their home court...you have to match it and find ways to win...we'll bounce back"

"even when it's dark out the sun is shining somewhere"

-jaylen brown, noted yoga philosopher

Shocky1
unsuccessful people are consumed by blaming others for their misfortunes in life vs productively focusing on problem solving solutions to effectively deal with the situation & move forward

it's not the refs#
HoopDreams
[SIZE=5]6-10 shooting, 4-7 from downtown, 1-1 FT 17 points[/SIZE]

OdontoBear66
Shocky1;842633747 said:

unsuccessful people are consumed by blaming others for their misfortunes in life vs productively focusing on problem solving solutions to effectively deal with the situation & move forward

it's not the refs#

So our diamonds are tarnished or at least clouded right now. Solutions are in the area of one of two areas: Either we have poor coaching or we have poor synergy. We certainly have 5* talent, so something is wrong in the way it comes together. We could blame lack of a true 5, but that is not why we are losing. It is more than that. Something is missing, and not being in the practices/huddles I am left to guessing what, but both solutions need to come from the top as well as within. Our problem is not talent, I repeat.
Shocky1
OdontoBear66;842633777 said:

So our diamonds are tarnished or at least clouded right now. Solutions are in the area of one of two areas: Either we have poor coaching or we have poor synergy. We certainly have 5* talent, so something is wrong in the way it comes together. We could blame lack of a true 5, but that is not why we are losing. It is more than that. Something is missing, and not being in the practices/huddles I am left to guessing what, but both solutions need to come from the top as well as within. Our problem is not talent, I repeat.

this california golden bear team is lacking alpha male leadership, the team came out with an almost lethargic defensive intensity vs stanford that the cards quickly exploited to start the game...it should be pointed out that in every single game this season the opposing teams have been on the floor warming up both in the final shoot around before the tip offs & coming out of halftimes for literally twice as long as the bears...cal is strolling out 2-3 minutes before play, running thru a lay up line & then throwing up only a couple of practice shots because of time restrictions...it bothers me that usually none of the coaches are on the floor talking to the guys during this opportunity to make sure everybody is mentally ready to go...they're probably still all in the locker room reading the cal's monster class but maybe more time on the floor would make a difference particularly as this isn't a mentally tough team yet, gotta make sure everybody's got their attack mode going

giving up 77 points to a pac 12 below average offense like stanford is an indicator that the bears don't want it bad enough right now, who is gonna stand up & say we're not gonna take that **** anymore?

the staff needs to figure out the most effective playing rotations along with more effective playcalling coming out of time outs

as i've mentioned numerous time the muteness of the cal bench really bothers me, basketball is a game of passion & energy and other than the virginia game & the end of the wyoming game we're being outhustled by the competition on the road...why isn't everybody yelling & screaming, are we at moffett library or something?

this team is a the fork in the road right now & it's up to them re: what direction this season will take
socaltownie
Shocky1;842633886 said:

this california golden bear team is lacking alpha male leadership, the team came out with an almost lethargic defensive intensity vs stanford that the cards quickly exploited to start the game...it should be pointed out that in every single game this season the opposing teams have been on the floor warming up both in the final shoot around before the tip offs & coming out of halftimes for literally twice as long as the bears...cal is strolling out 2-3 minutes before play, running thru a lay up line & then throwing up only a couple of practice shots because of time restrictions...it bothers me that usually none of the coaches are on the floor talking to the guys during this opportunity to make sure everybody is mentally ready to go...they're probably still all in the locker room reading the cal's monster class but maybe more time on the floor would make a difference particularly as this isn't a mentally tough team yet, gotta make sure everybody's got their attack mode going

giving up 77 points to a pac 12 below average offense like stanford is an indicator that the bears don't want it bad enough right now, who is gonna stand up & say we're not gonna take that **** anymore?

the staff needs to figure out the most effective playing rotations along with more effective playcalling coming out of time outs

as i've mentioned numerous time the muteness of the cal bench really bothers me, basketball is a game of passion & energy and other than the virginia game & the end of the wyoming game we're being outhustled by the competition on the road...why isn't everybody yelling & screaming, are we at moffett library or something?

this team is a the fork in the road right now & it's up to them re: what direction this season will take

+1 here and done with less of the Shocky "shtick" and that is good. I completely agree that what seems to be lacking here is a guy with a HUGE competitive streak to that simply REFUSES to lose. They all seem like nice guys. They all seem like they are committed to school. They don't get in trouble. And that checks a ton of the boxes for me so that is all good. But there is not on this team "that guy" - who will organized his players in the huddle, coach on the floor and be the leader we say in Jorge, Cobbs, randle, Theo, MSF, ect.

My 2 cents. Start Sam. Frustrating that you are doing it this late in conference but ASU should be less of a "test" than wildcats and maybe by telling him - "OK Sam, time to step up"

Sam
Ty
Bird/Mathews
Brown
Rabb

You will have to adjust depending on match ups but start like this. Gosh we have WAY too many 2-3s on this team....
LethalFang
Shocky1;842633745 said:

"on the road you have to execute a lot more...teams have higher energy on their home court...you have to match it and find ways to win...we'll bounce back"

"even when it's dark out the sun is shining somewhere"

-jaylen brown, noted yoga philosopher

Keep it simple. Hit more FTs.
Shocky1
Shocky1;842633886 said:

as an example of the lack of warm up time referenced in the 1st paragraph, t-wall comes out of the locker room at maples pavilion at halftime & gets stretched out by coach nicodemus literally on the cal bench instead of shooting around, there's not enough time to do both

the bears gotta be out 4-5 minutes & not 2-3 minutes before opening & halftime tip offs

thank you, shocky#
Shocky1
it should also be mentioned that the bears during pregame & halftime warm ups generally speaking don't shoot free throws, they only got time for the quick lay up drill & then a couple of perimeter shots, there's not enough time

my nationwide golf travels have randomly resulted in me becoming distant golf buddies with 2 of the greatest amateur free throw shooters in the united states

brad niemann (a fellow golf digest rankings panelist & a +2 handicap) made 123 of 130 free throws (94.6%) as a senior in high school & then made 29-30 (96.7%) as a senior at depaul

daryl moreau (a 15 handicap from toledo) made 126 free throws in a row as a high school senior & then played ball at lsu

independently of each other, they both told me that in addition to relentless work ethics in practicing free throws that they both benefited from small (by college & pro basketball body size standards) hands, a preshot routine that never varied & making a couple of free throws in a row during pregame & halftime warm ups (they would not leave the court until this was accomplished, making free throws 45 minutes before the game is not the same thing)

our bears don't even practice free throws during warm ups...love you young ivee but why the **** did you practice a fadeaway 3 point shot last nite during pregame warm ups?...lou richie told me his pet peeve re: you in high school was your settling for fadeaway jumpers, what you think he thinks of you practicing fadeaway 3 pointers?

i dunno maybe if our coaches could get the guys on the floor earlier during pregame & halftime warm ups & then were actively engaged with this important mental & physical rightsizing, we could knock down a couple more free throws a game

shut up, shocky#
Shocky1
as a fellow yoga & meditation practitioner who understands the importance & power of positive visualization, why do you end every pregame & halftime warm up begging lucas for 1 more ball so you can jack up an off balance fadeaway 30 footer that bounces crazily off the rim & backboard?

is that the last image you want in your head before gametime begins?

jaylen, why not shoot 3 successful free throws in a row my friend?

don't be a dumb azz#
socaltownie
Shocky's suggestions are interesting from the perspective of a fellow linkster. To the extent possible, visualizing success is so critical in that game and almost assuredly translates into FT/Jumpers/Etc.
mikecohen
socaltownie;842633896 said:

+1 here and done with less of the Shocky "shtick" and that is good. I completely agree that what seems to be lacking here is a guy with a HUGE competitive streak to that simply REFUSES to lose. They all seem like nice guys. They all seem like they are committed to school. They don't get in trouble. And that checks a ton of the boxes for me so that is all good. But there is not on this team "that guy" - who will organized his players in the huddle, coach on the floor and be the leader we say in Jorge, Cobbs, randle, Theo, MSF, ect.

My 2 cents. Start Sam. Frustrating that you are doing it this late in conference but ASU should be less of a "test" than wildcats and maybe by telling him - "OK Sam, time to step up"

Sam
Ty
Bird/Mathews
Brown
Rabb

You will have to adjust depending on match ups but start like this. Gosh we have WAY too many 2-3s on this team....

Any Draymonds around? One saw what his absence did in Denver the other night
89Bear
Shocky1;842633886 said:

This is really disappointing to read. First, it makes one question the head coach. Second, this sounds like the second consecutive year that the Bears have lacked a real emotional leader on the court. For guys who have been around like Wallace, Mathews, Bird, Singer... that is a huge strike against them. Two years in a row, nobody on the roster can emotionally get pumped up and get in people's faces to get it going. Wow!!! Nobody watched a guy like Jorge and learned something from him? Monty did recruit anyone else like that?
Big C
89Bear;842634060 said:

This is really disappointing to read. First, it makes one question the head coach. Second, this sounds like the second consecutive year that the Bears have lacked a real emotional leader on the court. For guys who have been around like Wallace, Mathews, Bird, Singer... that is a huge strike against them. Two years in a row, nobody on the roster can emotionally get pumped up and get in people's faces to get it going. Wow!!! Nobody watched a guy like Jorge and learned something from him? Monty did recruit anyone else like that?

Just throwing out ideas here, but maybe Coach Martin is such a powerful presence that all the players have gotten in the habit of deferring to him, instead of leading themselves. More likely, though, for guys like Wallace and Bird, it just might not be part of their makeup.
Big C
Shocky1;842633947 said:

as an example of the lack of warm up time referenced in the 1st paragraph, t-wall comes out of the locker room at maples pavilion & gets stretched out by coach nicodemus literally on the cal bench instead of shooting around, there's not enough time to do both

the bears gotta be out 4-5 minutes & not 2-3 minutes before opening & halftime tip offs

thank you, shocky#

What you say makes sense, but I'd really like to think that you are wrong. Why? If you are right, it means our coaching staff is pretty seriously flawed, not to be on top of this.
OdontoBear66
89Bear;842634060 said:

It is disappointing to read, and it is more disappointing having to speculate on the "whys" of this years team. Guessing seems to keep coming back to coaching and player synergy. Funny how we all accept the fine talent we have, but it is not coming together to be either equal to or greater than the sum of the parts. Quite the contrary.
Shocky1
Big C_Cal;842634070 said:

Just throwing out ideas here, but maybe Coach Martin is such a powerful presence that all the players have gotten in the habit of deferring to him, instead of leading themselves. More likely, though, for guys like Wallace and Bird, it just might not be part of their makeup.

big c, there's some truth to this

not only do the players tend to defer to coach martin but so do the other coaches & staff which results in him storming around effectively yelling out defensive screens, switches, back door cuts, etc. when defensive is played on the cal side of the court while the bench is mute

coach martin is the best thing to happen to the cal basketball program in the last 50 years and yeah he's an alpha male...coach has gotta encourage everybody on his staff along with the players to become more engaged, more energized & more insanely loud during games...the vocal dynamics & fun factor of this team are slightly off right now, they seem uptight in a constipated fish nite at the dorms kinda way...this team would be undefeated if everybody has the loose, **** don't matter crazy azz energy of nick hamilton

i sat directly behind the stanford basket for most of the 1st half in order to better view the bears challenges in feeding young ivee...while he's often open & the rock isn't delivered on time & the right spot for him to do maximum damage, ivan is not loud enough in demanding the ball...young ivee's gotta yell for the ******* ball, clearly his teammates don't understand the universal sign language of pointing with his fingers/hand upwards that he's open for a lob pass/slam dunk...so rabb needs to adjust & become more vocal this week during practices in demanding the ball

all the guys gotta become more alpha males, championship teams don't rely upon the coaches to monitor their efforts, the players on the court gotta get on the azzs of each other when they aren't playing with 100% intensity and/or sulking/brooding...this on court policing is particularly important when the team travels on the road to hostile venues...let's be real here, there's too much estrogen on this basketball team although i liked how my boy sammy singer got in the face of the clown who got his stanford scholly offer

there's zero chance either ivan rabb or jaylen brown is in berkeley without coach martin & his staff, the fact that we are debating why this team isn't dominating the pac 12 is a sign of the increased expectations for the cal basketball program which is a good thing

i graduated from cal's undergraduate haas biz school with phi beta kappa honors & am the youngest person to play the world's top 100 golf courses, this **** does not get done overnite...cal basketball also is building a mentally tougher culture, it's not quite there yet right now which is frustrating for everybody, i get that...but don't lose sight of the fact that after 50 years of mostly mediocre basketball we're finally legitimately discussing the bears competing for championships

and the future is bright too, nobody knows what jaylen & ivan are gonna decide to do until after this season but next year's team will be mentally tougher...t-man brings a much needed housing project **** you up swagger attitude that's missing right now & the 1st time i saw roman davis in an august practice he fearlessly attacked all american jaylen brown a foot above the rim on 2 consecutive sequences (one a basket & one a block) with no hesitation or remorse...both jolly & davis got the potential to become stone cold killers

cal basketball is in the right hands of coach martin, there's nobody on planet earth better qualified to continue moving this program forward...the misinformed dumb azz leper island colony fans that aren't supporting coach right now don't understand his commitment & importance of the academic component of the cal basketball program at the #1 public university in the world...but that doesn't mean there aren't issues that need to be addressed particularly with asu & arizona coming to haas pavilion next week

do you got tix(s) for haas pavilion next week to celebrate the unfolding of this story?

life is not linear#
BearsObserver
BearsObserver
joe amos yaks
Shocky1;842634110 said:

big c, there's some truth to this

not only do the players tend to defer to coach martin but so do the other coaches & staff which results in him storming around effectively yelling out defensive screens, switches, back door cuts, etc. when defensive is played on the cal side of the court while the bench is mute

coach martin is the best thing to happen to the cal basketball program in the last 50 years and yeah he's an alpha male...coach has gotta encourage everybody on his staff along with the players to become more engaged, more energized & more insanely loud during games...the vocal dynamics & fun factor of this team are slightly off right now, they seem uptight in a constipated fish nite at the dorms kinda way...this team would be undefeated if everybody has the loose, **** don't matter crazy azz energy of nick hamilton

i sat directly behind the stanford basket for most of the 1st half in order to better view the bears challenges in feeding young ivee...while he's often open & the rock isn't delivered on time & the right spot for him to do maximum damage, ivan is not loud enough in demanding the ball...young ivee's gotta yell for the ******* ball, clearly his teammates don't understand the universal sign language of pointing with his fingers/hand upwards that he's open for a lob pass/slam dunk...so rabb needs to adjust & become more vocal this week during practices in demanding the ball

all the guys gotta become more alpha males, championship teams don't rely upon the coaches to monitor their efforts, the players on the court gotta get on the azzs of each other when they aren't playing with 100% intensity and/or sulking/brooding...this on court policing is particularly important when the team travels on the road to hostile venues...let's be real here, there's too much estrogen on this basketball team although i liked how my boy sammy singer got in the face of the clown who got his stanford scholly offer

there's zero chance either ivan rabb or jaylen brown is in berkeley without coach martin & his staff, the fact that we are debating why this team isn't dominating the pac 12 is a sign of the increased expectations for the cal basketball program which is a good thing

i graduated from cal's undergraduate haas biz school with phi beta kappa honors & am the youngest person to play the world's top 100 golf courses, this **** does not get done overnite...cal basketball also is building a mentally tougher culture, it's not quite there yet right now which is frustrating for everybody, i get that...but don't lose sight of the fact that after 50 years of mostly mediocre basketball we're finally legitimately discussing the bears competing for championships

and the future is bright too, nobody knows what jaylen & ivan are gonna decide to do until after this season but next year's team will be mentally tougher...t-man brings a much needed housing project **** you up swagger attitude that's missing right now & the 1st time i saw roman davis in an august practice he fearlessly attacked all american jaylen brown a foot above the rim on 2 consecutive sequences (one a basket & one a block) with no hesitation or remorse...both jolly & davis got the potential to become stone cold killers

cal basketball is in the right hands of coach martin, there's nobody on planet earth better qualified to continue moving this program forward...the misinformed dumb azz leper island colony fans that aren't supporting coach right now don't understand his commitment & importance of the academic component of the cal basketball program at the #1 public university in the world...but that doesn't mean there aren't issues that need to be addressed particularly with asu & arizona coming to haas pavilion next week

do you got tix(s) for haas pavilion next week to celebrate the unfolding of this story?

life is not linear#

I believe! Where do I sign up?
Shocky1
joe, sign ups/tickets are open to everyone including clam diggers from tamales at our palace haas pavilion on thursday december 21, 2016 at 6:00 pm for them california golden bears vs arizona state

then when heaven has a line around the corner
we shouldn't have to wait around and hope to get in
if we can carpenter a home in our heart right now
and carve a palace from within

the magic of cal basketball#
BearsObserver

BearBackerinLA;842634136 said:

BearsObserver
"I’d say UConn, Louisville and Cal are the closest to offering me next.”

http://www.madehoops.com/news_article/show/599281?referrer_id=

BearBackerinLA;842634179 said:

Shocky1

"i'm plugged in, i'm charged up"

-t-man

real friends#
Shocky1
alec hickman scored 10 points as his jserra lions got gored 58-43 by the orange lutheran lancers

cal's touch the sky class (2017)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world
HoopDreams
[SIZE=6][COLOR="#000080"]Ivan Rabb[/COLOR] has the #2 Offensive Rating in the Pac12 per KenPom...[/SIZE]

Shocky1
2017 cal commit jemarl baker scored 21 points with 5 3 pointers as the roosevelt mustangs galloped 56-55 over the centennial huskies...baker also played lockdown d on centennial sharpshooter jordan griffin

yeah, jemarl is gonna get buckets for the bears as the next jordan "creasy" mathews

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including so cal)
BadNewsBear
Shocky1;842634367 said:

2017 cal commit jemarl baker scored 21 points with 5 3 pointers as the roosevelt mustangs galloped 56-55 over the centennial huskies...baker also played lockdown d on centennial sharpshooter jordan griffin

yeah, jemarl is gonna get buckets for the bears as the next jordan "creasy" mathews

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public (#3 overall) university in the world (including so cal)

Shocky:

What are the chances of Cal signing anyone decent over 6'4" in the 2016/2017 classes? As I assume they are losing 90% of their front court scoring/rebounding after this season is over.
First Page Last Page
Page 267 of 331

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.