Goff trade?

45,928 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by bearister
bearister
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Could Rams trade Jared Goff for Lions' Matthew Stafford?

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/24/rams-lions-matthew-stafford-jared-goff-trade/
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
bonsallbear
This is an interesting article but I need to ask a few questions. Do you really want to trade for a quarterback that is significantly older? Do you really want a "gun slinger " as your quarterback? Is Jared Goff responsible for play design and calling the plays? And lastly, would it help Jared if he had a Megatron type receiver to throw to?

I think the Rams will be just fine with Jared as their quarterback. He's young, and he still learning the position. Remember, the Rams o-line is still somewhat young and lacking in experience. This showed up in their in inability to pass protect. And please please draft or trade for a big fast wide receiver that can stretch the field.

The running backs look to be a solid group but they also need to learn how to pass protect. They are young and they will get better.
BearSD
bonsallbear said:

This is an interesting article but I need to ask a few questions. Do you really want to trade for a quarterback that is significantly older? Do you really want a "gun slinger " as your quarterback? Is Jared Goff responsible for play design and calling the plays? And lastly, would it help Jared if he had a Megatron type receiver to throw to?
IMO the question for the Rams is: Does McVay just want to get rid of Goff? If the answer to that is yes, then swapping him for Stafford might be the easiest way out for the Rams.

The cap hit for trading Goff is far less than the cap hit for cutting him. The Rams can argue that they're not just dumping a player chosen with the first pick in the draft, which would look like admitting a mistake, but that they're trading him for another QB who was also chosen with the first pick in the draft. McVay has seriously damaged his relationship with Goff, and starting over with a new QB might be a lot easier for McVay personally than trying to repair his relationship with Goff.
WalterSobchak
I would hope for this trade to happen just so I could laugh at McVay, but I wouldn't wish moving to Detroit on anybody let alone a guy I like.
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
82gradDLSdad
WalterSobchak said:

I would hope for this trade to happen just so I could laugh at McVay, but I wouldn't wish moving to Detroit on anybody let alone a guy I like.

I would move to Detroit for 20 million dollars.
ColoradoBear
82gradDLSdad said:

WalterSobchak said:

What if you already had $85 million though?

Cap numbers are not going to make a lot of sense on this trade - Detroit needs to unload Stafford before his $10 millon roster bonus is due (paid in late March), and the Rams would have to wait until after 6/1 to stretch their cap hit into 2022.

I think detroit can get good draft picks for Stafford and 'reset' their salary cap in 2022. They ain't winning #$@# in 2021 if Rodgers is still in GB. So while the new coach will probbaly hate it, they could also tank in 2021 and front load a few players contracts' to free up a lot of cap space for 2022.
BearSD
82gradDLSdad said:

WalterSobchak said:

Wouldn't be the first time an athlete on a big contract was traded from LA to Detroit. The Clippers did Blake Griffin dirty by trading him to Detroit a few months after he signed a long-term deal with the Clippers, but he's making $36.8 million this season and yeah, any of us could tolerate living in Detroit 8 months out of the year for that money.

AXLBear
How about jared to Indy?
bearister
Maybe McVay is like The Genius of the 49ers in the old days. When things went well, The Genius basked in the accolades. When things did not go well, The Genius ripped players new a$$h@oles in the Sporting Green.

Maybe McVay just needs an excuse.
okaydo

bearister
Chucky would take Goff (but has nothing to trade for him). Major upgrade to Carr, plus he is durable and plays hurt.....it would also put me in the weird position of resuming what was a lifetime fandom of the Raiders...and very happy to drop the Rams as my team.
WalterSobchak
I think NO would be the perfect landing spot for Goff.
Give to Cal Legends! https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
BearSD
The Rams GM is also saying that Goff is only a Ram "right now".

They're definitely looking into trading Goff. What they're saying would be frickin' stupid if they intended to keep him, because they're pouring gasoline on the bridge and setting it on fire.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/30783669/los-angeles-rams-gm-speculate-future-qb-jared-goff
Quote:

Los Angeles Rams general manager Les Snead on Tuesday echoed coach Sean McVay when it comes to the future of quarterback Jared Goff.

"Jared Goff is a Ram at this moment," Snead said when asked if Goff would be on the roster in 2021. "It's way too early to speculate the future. That's a beautiful mystery."

McVay on Jan. 17 -- one day after the Rams' loss to the Green Bay Packers in the divisional playoff -- wouldn't commit to Goff's future with the team.

"Jared Goff, he's a Ram right now," said Snead, who was asked repeatedly about Goff's status moving forward during an hour-long videoconference with reporters Tuesday. "So what's the date? Jan. 26th. That's a fact. That's obvious."
71Bear
bearister said:

Maybe McVay is like The Genius of the 49ers in the old days. When things went well, The Genius basked in the accolades. When things did not go well, The Genius ripped players new a$$h@oles in the Sporting Green.

Maybe McVay just needs an excuse.
List of coaches with 3+ Super Bowls wins:

Bill Belichick - 6
Chuck Noll - 4
Joe Gibbs - 3
Bill Walsh - 3

Hmmmm... Maybe Bill Walsh had the right idea.

By the way, Coach McVay is the grandson of John McVay, Walsh's right hand man during the Niner glory years.

philbert
bearister said:

Could Rams trade Jared Goff for Lions' Matthew Stafford?

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/24/rams-lions-matthew-stafford-jared-goff-trade/
Here's a good one for you, Bearister. Just reading the title made me LOL!

bearister
I'd trade Carr for a new water boy. This was as of February, 2020:

Worst record as starter vs. playoff teams since 2001
1. David Carr 3-33 (.083)
2. Derek Carr 4-33 (.108)
3. Matthew Stafford 8-55 (.127)
4. Blake Bortles 4-25 (.138)
5. Jameis Winston 4-23 (.148)
Bear8
Belichick is not enamored of Cam Newton. The Rams would be idiots to accept Newton in exchange, but Jared could really profit as a professional under Belichick's tutelage. frankly, the Rams are idiots to blast Goff's play out in the open.
philbert
Bear8 said:

Belichick is not enamored of Cam Newton. The Rams would be idiots to accept Newton in exchange, but Jared could really profit as a professional under Belichick's tutelage. frankly, the Rams are idiots to blast Goff's play out in the open.
Newton is a free agent.
okaydo
Bear8 said:

I'm wondering if this is smart or not.

I mean, I'm trying to figure out why they're doing it so blatantly.
Bearly Clad
Even with all the dirty laundry airing in the open I think the most likely outcome is Goff is still on the Rams next season. If he does end up traded I could see the Rams swapping QBs with the 49ers, the Eagles, or (probably not, but maybe) the Texans. I could also see the Colts or Pats kicking the tires and if the Jets and the Dolphins lose out on the Watson sweepstakes they could get involved too.

The Dolphins is an interesting situation because they were a playoff team with Fitzpatrick at QB but they spent a handful of games trying to figure out what they have in Tagovailoa because of the high pick from the Texans in this year's draft. If the Dolphins don't want to wait to develop a QB with a team that's mostly ready to contend now then they could trade a Tua package for Goff, keep the 3rd overall pick to draft an elite non-QB like Sewell or find a QB-needy team to trade down with and pick up extra ammunition while still being in position to draft someone like Kyle Pitts or DeVonta Smith
bearister
One of the perks for Jimmy G if traded to the Rams would be better access to adult film industry "actresses."
If Goff was a Niner, it would feel like Bizarro Planet for me to be a Niner fan for the first time in my life.
71Bear
Bearly Clad said:

Even with all the dirty laundry airing in the open I think the most likely outcome is Goff is still on the Rams next season. If he does end up traded I could see the Rams swapping QBs with the 49ers, the Eagles, or (probably not, but maybe) the Texans. I could also see the Colts or Pats kicking the tires and if the Jets and the Dolphins lose out on the Watson sweepstakes they could get involved too.

The Dolphins is an interesting situation because they were a playoff team with Fitzpatrick at QB but they spent a handful of games trying to figure out what they have in Tagovailoa because of the high pick from the Texans in this year's draft. If the Dolphins don't want to wait to develop a QB with a team that's mostly ready to contend now then they could trade a Tua package for Goff, keep the 3rd overall pick to draft an elite non-QB like Sewell or find a QB-needy team to trade down with and pick up extra ammunition while still being in position to draft someone like Kyle Pitts or DeVonta Smith
It takes two to finalize a deal. Given the weight of Goff's contract relative to results produced, who would want him? Trading Garappolo for him sounds like a rearranging of chairs. There really would be no benefit for either team to complete that trade.

Off season speculation is fun but, IMO, the only guys changing teams will be Stafford and Watson. Watson to the Jets and Stafford to Indy. That leaves Darnold looking for a dance partner.

Bearly Clad
Goff - Garoppolo swap

benefits to the Rams: bigger contract but lower AAV, in better position to pay their key free agents, can build their offense around QB mobility, less guaranteed money and easier to get out of sooner

benefits to the 49ers: much better QB who has consistently performed better than Garoppolo and been consistently available, no injury history, younger QB

bearister: I just don't know if I have it in me to root for a Silicon Valley team wearing red, it just feels wrong
philbert
I wouldn't be opposed to that swap, but I wouldn't put Jimmy G in the "mobile QB" category.
CALiforniALUM
bearister said:

One of the perks for Jimmy G if traded to the Rams would be better access to adult film industry "actresses."
If Goff was a Niner, it would feel like Bizarro Planet for me to be a Niner fan for the first time in my life.
Well if Goff gets a trade to Detroit, he surely will have an all season pass to the Windsor Ballet (if you don't know what that is look it up).
bearister
My son's apartment is wedged between places like that in North Beach...now all closed with homeless crashed in the alcoves.
71Bear
Bearly Clad said:

Goff - Garoppolo swap

benefits to the Rams: bigger contract but lower AAV, in better position to pay their key free agents, can build their offense around QB mobility, less guaranteed money and easier to get out of sooner

benefits to the 49ers: much better QB who has consistently performed better than Garoppolo and been consistently available, no injury history, younger QB

bearister: I just don't know if I have it in me to root for a Silicon Valley team wearing red, it just feels wrong
"QB mobility" Neither QB is a picture of mobility
"much better QB" Not so sure about that - neither has lit it up. To date, both are grossly overpaid.
"consistently available" Agree.

79 Bear
Yet both have led their teams to a SB whereas Stafford has zero playoff wins, and he's had some very talented receivers over the years, including Megatron. What would Goff do with a Megatron, who wouldn't drop the winning SB pass in the end zone? Just checked. According to ESPN and NFL.com Goff has a higher career passer rating than Stafford.
dajo9
Stafford has always been overrated and at his best with big receivers muscling up for the ball in the air. As mentioned, he had Megatron (6'5) early in his career. At Georgia he had Mohamed Massaquoi (6'2, 207 pounds). Without those types of receivers, he is pedestrian.
American Vermin
mbBear
Bear8 said:

I think Cam was on a one year deal.
bearister
" bearister: I just don't know if I have it in me to root for a Silicon Valley team wearing red, it just feels wrong."

If lovin' Goff is wrong, I don't wanna be right.*

*All rights reserved. Homer Banks / Raymond E. Jackson / Carl Mitchell Hampton
(If Loving You Is Wrong) I Don't Want to Be Right lyrics East Memphis Music Corp., Irving Music, Inc. E.m. (1972)
bipolarbear
I have never rooted for the Stanfurd infested niners but it would be nice ( if improbable) to see Goff with them because the 49er games are almost always available on Northern California broadcasts and I wouldn't have to rely on RedZone for short clips. It is all about me.
Bearly Clad
Mobile QB: fair enough, Philbert had an issue with that too. The term is subjective and I was using it relative to Goff (side note: I still can't believe Jared and Patrick Mahomes are the same speed, Mahomes is undoubtedly a mobile QB and Jared definitely isn't)

Much better: this part isn't subjective at all, that's objective fact and (sorry in advance cuz I'm really not trying to be a dick here) I've got no idea how any sane person would find issue with that statement. Here's a comparison of their '19 seasons because it's the best season of Garoppolo's career and was widely considered to be a down year for Goff

Garoppolo in '19: 69% completion percentage, 3978 yards, 27 TDs to 13 INTs
Goff in '19: 63% completion percentage, 4638 yards, 22 TDs to 16 INTs

That's Goff's step back year against the best Jimmy G has to offer and they're still pretty comparable. Jimmy is 30 and Jared is 26, Jimmy has 26 wins in 52 career games and Jared has 48 wins in 75 career starts, their playoff numbers aren't even in the same ballpark.

I also have an issue with the 'grossly overpaid' part because that's just how QB contracts go. Next season will be Goff's first year off his rookie deal and right now he's in line to be tied for the 7th biggest QB contract, big but not ridiculous for the first year of an extension. By the midpoint of his deal Goff will probably be around the middle of the league in QB pay. His contract is more in line with Wentz, Carr, Tannehill, Cousins, and Rothlissburger than top of the line QB contracts like Mahomes and Watson so I'm not sure where this overpay idea comes from. Guys like Sam Bradford, Matt Cassel, and Kevin Kolb were QB overpays, Goff was just a big sounding contract when it was signed but will be very manageable by the time he's a year into his deal
bearister
bipolarbear said:

I have never rooted for the Stanfurd infested niners but it would be nice ( if improbable) to see Goff with them because the 49er games are almost always available on Northern California broadcasts and I wouldn't have to rely on RedZone for short clips. It is all about me.

..and your favorite Beatle song is:

I Me Mine
71Bear
Bearly Clad said:

Mobile QB: fair enough, Philbert had an issue with that too. The term is subjective and I was using it relative to Goff (side note: I still can't believe Jared and Patrick Mahomes are the same speed, Mahomes is undoubtedly a mobile QB and Jared definitely isn't)

Much better: this part isn't subjective at all, that's objective fact and (sorry in advance cuz I'm really not trying to be a dick here) I've got no idea how any sane person would find issue with that statement. Here's a comparison of their '19 seasons because it's the best season of Garoppolo's career and was widely considered to be a down year for Goff

Garoppolo in '19: 69% completion percentage, 3978 yards, 27 TDs to 13 INTs
Goff in '19: 63% completion percentage, 4638 yards, 22 TDs to 16 INTs

That's Goff's step back year against the best Jimmy G has to offer and they're still pretty comparable. Jimmy is 30 and Jared is 26, Jimmy has 26 wins in 52 career games and Jared has 48 wins in 75 career starts, their playoff numbers aren't even in the same ballpark.

I also have an issue with the 'grossly overpaid' part because that's just how QB contracts go. Next season will be Goff's first year off his rookie deal and right now he's in line to be tied for the 7th biggest QB contract, big but not ridiculous for the first year of an extension. By the midpoint of his deal Goff will probably be around the middle of the league in QB pay. His contract is more in line with Wentz, Carr, Tannehill, Cousins, and Rothlissburger than top of the line QB contracts like Mahomes and Watson so I'm not sure where this overpay idea comes from. Guys like Sam Bradford, Matt Cassel, and Kevin Kolb were QB overpays, Goff was just a big sounding contract when it was signed but will be very manageable by the time he's a year into his deal
Not sure where you got your stats but Jimmy G. is 24-8 as a starter.

Addendum...

He has played in a total of 48 games through 2020. He has started 30 with SF and 2 with NE.

Addendum 2...

Goff has 38 turnovers in his last 31 games. No matter how you cut it, that is terrible. Given that Jimmy G. Is also a turnover machine, I suggest they be lumped in the same slop bucket.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.