cal's monster offensive line

1,525,862 Views | 9940 Replies | Last: 57 min ago by Shocky1
wc22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Monster is right if blunt. I am not endorsing his list of sports to keep, but if we are taking a 20 million dollar haircut, sports are going to get cut, and donors have to step up right away to minimize the cuts (I am not one who can help, sadly). And there is Title IX, so you can't keep Baseball without funding other sports at the same time. This could be a horrible situation. Let's hope it isn't as bad as the leaks.
wifeisafurd
Shocky1 said:

Quote:

colorado just bolted for $31m... so looks like $50m is a bit above current market rates
wrong nikey, colorado just bolted for a future promissory revenue stream of $31m, that's not gonna happen in the real world when sold/bankrupt media company college football contracts are renegotiated or voided

there's about as good a chance as a circling the drain espn financially fulfilling its big 12 contract as eugene country club ever returning to the us top 100 rankings or shocky learning a handstand (t-rexs can do headstands), got it?

apple is the future (an uncomfortable truth for old people watching tv on their sofa)#
I agree, Apple and Prime are the future of collegiate sports. It is not so certain the future haas arrived, and Prime wants to be paid now.
Shocky1
wc22 said:

I think we would want to preserve Men's Rowing. But I see the Title IX issue. Maybe there is an NIL workaround.
wc, if cal is to reduce the number of sports teams in half there's unfortunately no way to keep men's rowing with 63 counters (roster team members) when considering title ix requirements

the number of collegiate action programs needing to financially rightsize their operations is a nationwide issue, there will need to be ncca or whatever the sport's governing body legislation that 's gonna allow club sport teams to compete for championships

rugby (with a staggering 54 counters) is well funded to transition to club sports status & given the affluent nature of rowing it's likely it will also be able to continue as a club sport too
Shocky1
JTfromClash said:

Cal Women's Gymnastics is peaking right now. Should be a top 5 squad next season maybe even a top 3. And with top 10 recruiting classes coming in, the program will be sustaining success .
jt, agreed women's gymnastics is heading in the right direction but men's gymnastics with 20 counters is not feasible...maybe men's & women's gymnastics could continue as club sports?
Shocky1
wc22 said:

The Monster is right if blunt. I am not endorsing his list of sports to keep, but if we are taking a 20 million dollar haircut, sports are going to get cut, and donors have to step up right away to minimize the cuts (I am not one who can help, sadly). And there is Title IX, so you can't keep Baseball without funding other sports at the same time. This could be a horrible situation. Let's hope it isn't as bad as the leaks.
wc, sandy barbour wuz fiscally responsible in her efforts to cut baseball but got overturned by stu gordon & other baseball alums who realistically aren't gonna put up the necessary dollars for an abysmal losing program

baseball got 34 counters & involves significant travel expenses in playing a full season schedule...it should literally be the 1st program cut plus the valuable land on which evans diamond is situated can be repurposed for the greater good of the campus
Shocky1
wifey, would you agree that the espn promissory future revenues of $31m to the big 12 are not guaranteed?

the under armor original deal in 2016 with cal wuz $86 for 10 years, once the economics of the deal didn't make any financial sense to the apparel company they worked to null the original contract via aggressive transactional lawyers who focused on berkeley's non compliance with relatively minor loopholes like their apparel not sold in every bookstore or something

at the end of the day under armor threatened endless litigation which resulted in settlement negotiations & getting out of the deal with the cal athletic department for nickels on the dollar
Shocky1
commish k will release pac 12 media proposal at 7:00 am my time (az)
Strykur
Shocky1 said:

Sleeping in, maybe by the time I wake up at 10:30AM I can drink my final coffee as a PAC-12 fan.
Econ141
Strykur said:

Shocky1 said:

Sleeping in, maybe by the time I wake up at 10:30AM I can drink my final coffee as a PAC-12 fan.

Gentlemen, it's been an honor playing with you the past 20+ years on this sight. From potentially getting Nowitzki and "the Jewel" Sensley, to losing an entire recruiting class with Tosh to UW. So many more downs than ups but damn I loved going to Memorial and shouting my a** off. Too bad the city of Berkeley, the faculty, and admin leadership didn't give a damn about this awesome program that did far more than what could have been expected given their lack of support.

We could have been a contender.

My only hope is that we tar and feather Knowlton after we are forced into irrelevancy in the MWC.
Shocky1
Strykur said:

Shocky1 said:

stryker, wut, ur gonna wake up an hour earlier than the con artist?

zero communication from knowlton (busy day in the springs, jim got **** to do, scoop the poop)#
mbBear
wc22 said:

I think we would want to preserve Men's Rowing. But I see the Title IX issue. Maybe there is an NIL workaround.
You think?! Especially with the donations, endowments, let alone the success. All you have to do is go to one IRA Championship, and see how Cal is admired by IVY LEAGUE SCHOOLS and ALUMS to be a fan. And yes, some here would definitely get their rocks off associating with Ivy types, vs. honchos from Truck Stop schools like Arizona St. But oh, the golf courses in Arizona.......................................
(I will be ripped momentarily)...
Shocky1
mb, why can't men's rowing continue as a club sport & still compete for the ira championship?

reality is that men's rowing got 63 counters while men's golf got only 14 counters (which will need to be reduced to 10+) & got coach chun's head coaching position/salary endowed by alex & marie shipman along with both max homa & colin morikawa recently endowing schollys (fyi, the ncca limits d1 golf programs to 4.5 schollys)

but make no mistake about it shocky is a big fan of the lake merritt rowing club & the women's coxless four before the dawn

cal is a golf school#
Shocky1

wut real athletic director leadership looks like (free tixs for all students)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

the under armor original deal in 2016 with cal wuz $86 for 10 years, once the economics of the deal didn't make any financial sense to the apparel company they worked to null the original contract via aggressive transactional lawyers who focused on berkeley's non compliance with relatively minor loopholes like their apparel not sold in every bookstore or something

at the end of the day under armor threatened endless litigation which resulted in settlement negotiations & getting out of the deal with the cal athletic department for nickels on the dollar

knowlton vs under armour (not a fair fight)#
NVBear78
Shocky1 said:

wc22 said:

wc, if cal is to reduce the number of sports teams in half there's unfortunately no way to keep men's rowing with 63 counters (roster team members) when considering title ix requirements

the number of collegiate action programs needing to financially rightsize their operations is a nationwide issue, there will need to be ncca or whatever the sport's governing body legislation that 's gonna allow club sport teams to compete for championships

rugby (with a staggering 54 counters) is well funded to transition to club sports status & given the affluent nature of rowing it's likely it will also be able to continue as a club sport too

Any discussion of Congress updating Title IX In this brave new world of NIL, free agency and confusion and possible implosion of media deals? Womens sports are very much at risk too.
wifeisafurd
Shocky1 said:

wifey, would you agree that the espn promissory future revenues of $31m to the big 12 are not guaranteed?

Where do you get this stuff?

Your last paragraph is factually incorrect. AA performed for Cal (grudgingly), and at contact end was replaced. You must be thinking of UCLA. BTW, a substantial amount of the $86 million was in uniforms, team clothes and equipment.

I don't understand the phrase ESPN promissory future revenues. The Pac would have an executory contract with an Apple subsidiary. If Apple doesn't want to continue Pac content, the Pac has damages which they can pursue a claim against the Apple sub. I doubt any other Apple entity is providing a guaranty, so I'm not sure about the viability of collecting a judgment. Same with ESPN. Simply an executory contract. Disney or whoever owns ESPN is not providing a guaranty. You would have to figure out the balance sheet of the entities to see who is the bigger credit risk. My sense is ESPN will plug along as long as they have a monopoly on games - no where else to see them. But when renewal comes, streamers eventually will get more games from conferences, because they will have the bigger audiences, and be able to pay more.
Shocky1
my sources for the under armor contract info are employed by the university of california, berkeley...who r ur sources?

r u saying that under armor completed the contract with cal to its expiration date & that a "substantial amount" of the $86,000,000 contract wuz for uniforms, team clothes & equipment?

sorry but that's not accurate, the under armor contract (which originally wuz for 10 years & set to expire in 2026) wuz materially cash to the athletic dept & that's gone away with the current nike apparel deal

my point with respects to espn is that if they overpaid (just like under armor back in the day) for their collegiate football portfolio is that their deal with the big 12 is based upon promissory future revenues...one sided biz deals can & often get renegotiated closer to current market values

Shocky1

3.8 gpa future trench worker#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those that wanna build generational wealth thru nfl development with coach bloesch & intellectual capitalism in the classrooms)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
calumnus
The way to radically alter the landscape for Cal athletics is to outsource the revenue sports to a private, alumni run, not for profit collective that would have exclusive rights to the Cal trademark. Players in the revenue sports would be employees of the collective. Non-revenue sports would continue on the old amateur model in the athletic department (plus true NIL) and Title IX would apply to them only (likely subject to a court battle). I would also suggest that scholarships that the university offers in the non-revenue sports be for in-state tuition only, with donors being free to offer more.

I would try to get the Giants to sponsor Cal baseball with games played at ATT in the Spring, with $1 tickets and beer sales. Evans could be repurposed.
Shocky1

before the dawn (with cal's monster offensive line)#
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/B8FaO5vHD-f
fun fact: the ucla callimony is not a specified amount

fiscal responsibility/expense reductions need to happen now#
Econ141
With the reputational hits the pac-9 is taking almost everyday, is there a legitimate hope for this recruit?

wifeisafurd
Shocky1 said:

my sources for the under armor contract info are employed by the university of california, berkeley...who r ur sources?

r u saying that under armor completed the contract with cal to its expiration date & that a "substantial amount" of the $86,000,000 contract wuz for uniforms, team clothes & equipment?

sorry but that's not accurate, the under armor contract (which originally wuz for 10 years & set to expire in 2026) wuz materially cash to the athletic dept & that's gone away with the current nike apparel deal

my point with respects to espn is that if they overpaid (just like under armor back in the day) for their collegiate football portfolio is that their deal with the big 12 is based upon promissory future revenues...one sided biz deals can & often get renegotiated closer to current market values

First, you need to do your own due diligence.. Second, you need to read what I said more closely. Third, you posted a June 2020 article as evidence that UA was not performing.

Let's start going backwards with the 2020 article you posted. Back in 2020 UA did indeed terminate UCLA's very lucrative ($280 million) contract, and as leverage tried to call into question the Cal agreement given that the Pac was not going to play sports due to C-19. In what is discussed in a myriad of articles was that Cal responded that unlike the UCLA situation, which there was a written contract that had out provisions that allowed UA to terminate if UCLA failed to play football or basketball, Cal had a binding LOI with no outs, and Cal demanded performance. UA backed off and performed. Should you have any question about performance, that I invite you to look at the uniforms, clothes and gear Cal players were wearing which had UA emblem all over them for the last 3 years. Or this picture of Wilcox in 2023 at spring practice:

Coach Justin Wilcox talks after Cal's second spring scrimmage ...YouTube Golden Bear Report | Cal Rivals8 minutes, 31 secondsMar 24, 2023

Does that look like a giant swoosh to you? I must have attended (in person or virtually) at least 10 events where Knowlton or some Cal I/A official was asked about UA, and all of them said UA was in fact performing on their contract, but that because of what they did to UCLA, and what they tried to do with Cal, they would be replaced as soon as legally possible.

In fact, unlike Cal for the last 3 years, UCLA got no money, uniforms, clothes, or gear from UA. UCLA had to go do a deal with Nike Jordan at far, far less money and sued UA for $200 Million plus. UCLA recently settled the litigation for only $67 Million.
UCLA 'Lost' $99.2M in Under Armour Fight as Big Ten ...Yahoo Sportshttps://sports.yahoo.com ucla-lost-99-2m-under-190...

Now let's go to what I said. Cal terminated the contract after fiscal year 7, 3 years short, as was its right to do and concurrently replaced UA with Nike starting on July 2023 (the UA deal became effective in 2016). We don't know yet what the terms of the Nike deal are - they have not been made public, so a comparison is not possible. My guess would be product probably is similar to what UA was providing and who knows with dollars? You can actually look-up the UA LOI. $47.6 was in product and $35 Million in cash as well Cal's right to terminate. Given the politics, no UC school is going to have a contract with UA gong forward after what they did to UCLA.

You said that I was wrong that a material part of the contract was uniforms, etc. In my world, $47.6 million is much larger number than $35 million, and I might add the majority of that $35 million cash has been paid already. Read the f'ing operative document next time.

You said that the contract didn't go out to its expiration date. That is not technically correct because in fact the contract was terminated and expired a few months ago effective July 1, but I assume you meant outside contract expiration date. The bigger misunderstanding is I said that at the contract end (not outside expiration date or even expiration date) UA was replaced by Nike, which is exactly what happened. You came up with the outside term of ten years as your own subjective measure. That isn't what I said.

Instead, you came up with some BS narrative that Cal capitulated under a threat of litigation (which somehow managed to avoid headlines for three years despite numerous state records act requests on the topic by Wilner and others) which resulted in apparently secret settlement negotiations & getting out of the deal with the Cal athletic department for nickels on the dollar. First, those negations never occurred. Second, UA didn't pay one cent, less a nickel to get out of its contract. Do you see a settlement agreement anywhere? Third, we don't know what the terms of the Nike contract even are yet. Oh wait, your secret sources must know that. Care to share?

Finally there is the weird language about promissory future revenues (at least the guaranty language has disappeared) in the ESPN contact and that if it is a bad deal, the ESPN deal will be renegotiated. Ignoring that there is no such thing as the term "promissory future revenues" in the real world, the same outcome could be said for the Apple deal. If the Pac turns out to be a bad deal for the Apple affiliate, why wouldn't the same renegotiation occur? I'm simply not seeing a cogent argument. There always is risk of non-performance in every contract.

[url=https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwi-jq-MlL2AAxU9OkQIHYuDDTgQwqsBegQIGRAG&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DISQSQiPwXZ8&usg=AOvVaw1-bTlr0ye5vmky-CAEN2Ct&opi=89978449][/url]
Shocky1
kwazi gilmer is not a dumb azz (he got a 3.6 gpa) but he's gonna stay home at westwood for college
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

shocky's bottom line:

there's gonna be significantly less revenues for the athletic department in the forseeable future & that's why knowlton's decision in fiscal year 2022 to borrow $11,000,000 wuz financial malpractice...apologists will argue that borrowing money from the central campus is a standard operating mechanism, these are not ordinary times & the "good ol' days" of collegiate athletics (for schools not already in the sec or big 10) are firmly in the rearview mirror

the financial reality for the cal athletic department is significantly less revenues in the future primarily from declining media rights revenues & donations to the athletic department due to the growth of nil fundraising & the aging (and fatigued) berkeley donor community which is not gaining any traction (building a pipeline) with younger future megadonors...the fake berkeley fundraising numbers are not dollars that are actually collected, ok?

so whether it be the con artist & his evil as **** confidante jennifer simon-o'neil continuing their bureaucratic wayward lack of vision or new leadership such as andrew mcgraw as the next athletic director, cal will no longer be able to field 30+ teams (many of them underperforming for years) & will need to cut teams/reduce expenses

the next athletic director will need to quickly work within title ix constraints in revamping the currently bloated athletic department with the following teams in a new much more streamlined operation that competes for championships:

1. football
2. men's basketball
3. men's swimming & diving
4. men's water polo
5. men's golf
6. men's tennis
7. women's basketball
8. softball
9. women's soccer
10. women's swimming & diving
11. women's water polo
12. women's volleyball
13. women's golf
14. women's tennis
15. women's rowing
16. women's gymnastics

baseball & both track and field/cross country programs would be terminated with current schollys honored thru graduation & the valuable land upon which evans field & edwards stadium r situated would be repurposed...men's soccer, women's lacrosse & women's field hockey would be shuttered...women's beach volleyball players would be offered roster spots with the failing women's volleyball program thru graduation...men's rugby, men's rowing & men's gymnastics would become club sports, fully expect jack clark to go nuclear on this necessary decision in his predictable myopic rage to defend his turf

not biz as usual in berkeley (or the pac 12)#
wifey, u make a lot of cogent points with respects to my admittedly oversimplified summation of cal's tumultuous relationship with under armor...while we could debate whether $35,000,000 in cash wuz a "material" part of the contract, think we can hopefully both agree that this past significant revenue flow is realistically gone forever (the new nike relationship has been described to me as apparel support with minimal dollars deal) & that this is yet another financial hit for the athletic department

would be very interested in ur thoughts on the monster's rightisizing plan outlined above, any billable hours on ur end plz send to oski at the silverado friendly skies rehab institute, ok?
Shocky1

it's gonna take a california golden bear to put the polish back on one of the greatest cities on planet earth & that's why shocky is very excited that berkeley grad (masters in public policy from the goldman school of public policy, undergrad degree from duke) daniel lurie is gonna enter the 2024 san francisco mayoral race as a moderate democrat

dan is a visionary problem solver (he wuz the ceo of tipping point which addresses the issue of homelessness in the city, plz note that doggys can also be homeless) & a generous philanthropist (his moms married peter haas back in the day & he's one of the heirs to the levi strauss fortune)

roll on u bears!#
Shocky1
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even if he I has to lie thru his teeth, WHY HAVE WE NOT HEARD A PEEP FROM OUT THE AD???? W T F

Inexcusable.
We and the Trees have been radio silent for over a year, means nothing or may mean a lot more than we currently presume.
I would be more comforted by that if Carol Christ was not so strongly in support of staying in the PAC and against going to the B1G
Christ would take an invite to the B1G if one were available, in a heartbeat. Right now, there is not one.
mt, ur comment is 100% accurate, there's no interest in the b12

just say no to truck stop skool academics#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (and the melting pot of poly bad azzs & 2 tens)#

ej, benji got ur bbq platter in the fridge, ok?...he originally kept in his desk but spav & marshall said it wuz kind of smelling not so great plus there's health code **** or something

6956bear
Shocky1 said:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Even if he I has to lie thru his teeth, WHY HAVE WE NOT HEARD A PEEP FROM OUT THE AD???? W T F

Inexcusable.
We and the Trees have been radio silent for over a year, means nothing or may mean a lot more than we currently presume.
I would be more comforted by that if Carol Christ was not so strongly in support of staying in the PAC and against going to the B1G
Christ would take an invite to the B1G if one were available, in a heartbeat. Right now, there is not one.
mt, ur comment is 100% accurate, there's no interest in the b12

just say no to truck stop skool academics#
I think the poster is referring to the Big 10. Which uses the logo B1G.
Shocky1

real athletic directors transparently communicate with their fans, teams & stakeholders...con artists play dodgeball with the media while focusing on their #1 priority of flipping homes in colorado springs as an absentee bureaucrat

zero communication (r u surprised?)#
wifeisafurd
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

shocky's bottom line:

there's gonna be significantly less revenues for the athletic department in the forseeable future & that's why knowlton's decision in fiscal year 2022 to borrow $11,000,000 wuz financial malpractice...apologists will argue that borrowing money from the central campus is a standard operating mechanism, these are not ordinary times & the "good ol' days" of collegiate athletics (for schools not already in the sec or big 10) are firmly in the rearview mirror

the financial reality for the cal athletic department is significantly less revenues in the future primarily from declining media rights revenues & donations to the athletic department due to the growth of nil fundraising & the aging (and fatigued) berkeley donor community which is not gaining any traction (building a pipeline) with younger future megadonors...the fake berkeley fundraising numbers are not dollars that are actually collected, ok?

so whether it be the con artist & his evil as **** confidante jennifer simon-o'neil continuing their bureaucratic wayward lack of vision or new leadership such as andrew mcgraw as the next athletic director, cal will no longer be able to field 30+ teams (many of them underperforming for years) & will need to cut teams/reduce expenses

the next athletic director will need to quickly work within title ix constraints in revamping the currently bloated athletic department with the following teams in a new much more streamlined operation that competes for championships:

1. football
2. men's basketball
3. men's swimming & diving
4. men's water polo
5. men's golf
6. men's tennis
7. women's basketball
8. softball
9. women's soccer
10. women's swimming & diving
11. women's water polo
12. women's volleyball
13. women's golf
14. women's tennis
15. women's rowing
16. women's gymnastics

baseball & both track and field/cross country programs would be terminated with current schollys honored thru graduation & the valuable land upon which evans field & edwards stadium r situated would be repurposed...men's soccer, women's lacrosse & women's field hockey would be shuttered...women's beach volleyball players would be offered roster spots with the failing women's volleyball program thru graduation...men's rugby, men's rowing & men's gymnastics would become club sports, fully expect jack clark to go nuclear on this necessary decision in his predictable myopic rage to defend his turf

not biz as usual in berkeley (or the pac 12)#
wifey, u make a lot of cogent points with respects to my admittedly oversimplified summation of cal's tumultuous relationship with under armor...while we could debate whether $35,000,000 in cash wuz a "material" part of the contract, think we can hopefully both agree that this past significant revenue flow is realistically gone forever (the new nike relationship has been described to me as apparel support with minimal dollars deal) & that this is yet another financial hit for the athletic department

would be very interested in ur thoughts on the monster's rightisizing plan outlined above, any billable hours on ur end plz send to oski at the silverado friendly skies rehab institute, ok?
A lot of the $35 million was paid. I don't know what Nike will pay, but if you say the annual cash payment will go down, I will believe you. Numbers are not public. Once UCLA reached a settlement, there was no way in hell Cal or any other UC was staying with UA. Hopefully the money is made up by the UCLA subsidy (or we don't need it, because we are off the B1G).
Shocky1
wifey, would u make sport teams cuts at this time or not?
Shocky1

monster collegiate presidential/chancellor background analysis:

guess who wanna be the next prez of stanford university?

that would be the highly ambitious arizona's current prez dr robert c robbins who did his residency in cardiothoracic surgery on the farm back in the day & later spent 19 years in palo alto as the director of cardiothoracic transplantation laboratory at the stanford school of medicine

robbie don't want the reputation as the guy who blew up in the pac 12 when he interviews for stanford's next prez despite consensus in tuscon it's the right move to join the truck stop skools in the big 12...there's professional safety for him if the 3 other corner schools join him in making the jump

yeah tuscon is a dump & robbie wants out

also ambitious but not in a slimy way like robbie is san diego state's dr adela de la torre who got 3 berkeley degrees & is arguably the favorite to become the berkeley chancellor when carol christ retires july 1, 2024...it would bolster her professional aspirations/networking if the aztecs join the pac 12 & pay the $34m mountain west buy out with some financial assistance from the pac 12

i reached out to adela recently & she responded back to me (unlike the con artist), not gonna share her response but she luvs the university of california, berkeley

https://instagr.am/p/Cvcvh0xOTJ3
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CvA79d3Lvss
the california golden bears 2023 fall camp $tart$ in a couple of minute$, let'$ ******* go

jaydn ott taking a pitchout from sam jackson (who fake bootlegs in the opposite direction) & then turns the ******* corner behind the newly UNICORN revamped cal's monster offensive line & runs at the speed of light into open green spaces into a blue lighted tomorrow that is unknowable

off to the race$ (cipriani'$ ba$ement in nyc, ur my 1 true luv)#
Shocky1

max's bear claws in colin (ouch)#
First Page Last Page
Page 130 of 285

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.