cal's monster offensive line

1,737,751 Views | 10774 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by 82gradDLSdad
harebear
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Interesting contrast in the rhetorical styles between Shocky and 6956. Shocky is giving Django Reinhardt...It has some ebullient content and there is a generous use of the comma and the ellipsis. 6956 tends to have a terser style with shorter declarative statements and nary a comma in sight. It's giving Tribute to Troy (at least to me that's how it sometimes feels) which was apparently played 75 times on Saturday but which didn't seem to have much of an deterrent effect on our newly dynamic offense and their 49 point production. Not quite a drop 50, but so close! Glad to see the positivity from 6956 in acknowledging that Bloesch has been terrific. This game is always going to give you a mix of things to celebrate and maybe not celebrate so much.
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

strong showing at cal's 2024 junior day by priority lock down cornerback +1 athletic 5'11" 175 lbs rj whitten from the powerhouse folsom high school program

rj got a monster work ethic, some people call is work he calls it dancing with the stars

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (and only 90 minutes away by car from folsom on gamedays in the fall)
Shocky1
^ thx for the django comparison compliment harebear but shocky's writing style is more like tolstoy with a yoga mat & golf clubs or something

the inspiration for max homa facial manscaping (throwing looks)#
Oakbear
Shocky1 said:

^ thx for the django comparison compliment harebear but shocky's writing style is more like tolstoy with a yoga mat & golf clubs or something

the inspiration for max homa facial manscaping (throwing looks)#
;you are wordy but not as wordy as Tolstoy
KenBurnski
I always saw Shockster as a branch of the Faulkner coaching tree.
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/Cw0u_kqSclH
oak, tolstoy don't got no scary azz yoga/meditation practice but he do got 30 day old deep fried barracuda in his facial manscaping or something

burp#
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/Cy_415ssFVb
as burnski languidly walked towards the unknowable lake on a crisp fall afternoon with both a sense of purpose and sadness from past not fully resolved traumas that is a shared experience for all of us on planet earth with halloween looming in the air he could clearly see across the lake the shining blue light of the future and he knew in his hopeful heart that his california golden bears despite the long roadtrip in september of the following year to a sleepy town in alabama that bo knows will never change despite the boats against the current and the changing seasons in the sun on the dusty streets of ignorance and low gpas in the deep south would prevail with a timeless never to be forgotten performance so masterfully orchestrated by the young man from biscayne bay who unlike the cuban gentlemen and shocky never sleeps all day tho burnski often wondered in the deepest recesses of his mind in moments of acute clarity if truly a curvy brunette yoga female could guide him to a place far beyond his vision and further afar from an existence devoid of 32 ounce green drinks or shoneys

faulkner & burnski r star stuff (unlike the con artist)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

Shocky1 said:

checking into the claremont hotel for an official visit this weekend is 6'3" 240 lbs apex predator sack master salesi manu from reno's bishop manogue high school (the home of sioape vatikani) who plays with a poly bad azz relentless motor kinda like his dad charles who played for the wolfpack back in the day

and let's be real here, cal's outside linebackers have not consistently made plays behind the line of scrimmage during 2023, an infusion of quick twitch +1 athleticism is gonna be necessary for a better bears defense in the 2024 acc season

warning: do NOT watch the following video which got violent images if u got heart condition issues or something

washington state (which will be playing in a mid major conference along with oregon state next season with the nuclear destruction of the pac 12) is probably the leader right now for salesi who got around a dozen+ offers

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including those of the lds faith & a 3 hour drive to memorial stadium on gamedays for the fam)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

salesi enjoyed his official visit to berkeley (hosted by sioape) & particularly enjoyed meeting the coaches & also hearing about cal's life after football gameplan

with an official visit to oregon state on october 14th, the official visit to cal on october 28th, there's gonna be one more official to washington state before a final decision
AZ Bear

I wasn't arguing that we have great players, or even players good enough to achieve our ST goals (whatever they are). I was looking at this an an exercise in allocating scarce resources.

Obviously we want the best players who are willing to come here, but the constraints are:

1) Available roster spots
2) Finite NIL dollars (and program credibility) to persuade great players to come here
3) Coaches' time for recruiting is finite

So my ranking was my view of the positions of greatest need that should get top priority in allocating limited resources.

I don't favor "standing pat"....I'm not saying we're already good enough at certain positions that we don't actively try to improve with superior players. As you said, if you can get an impact player to come and improve the roster, you do it....assuming you have the NIL to make it happen.

I don't really understand your comment about coaching and player talent. It seems like you're saying that because our coaching is subpar, we have to go out and get better players than we'd need if we had good coaching.

...But that's not how it works. The very best coaches don't say "We're excellent coaches, so we can still win with slightly lesser talent. So let's call it a day and go with the roster we have without going after incremental improvements in talent." I guarantee that every head coach tries to get the best players he can (given whatever character issues and other attributes he may choose to emphasize).

Overall though, I actually agree with you. We will need to upgrade talent to get a lot better on the field. But usually that doesn't happen with a winning record, a coach that people really want to play for, and, probably most importantly, a lot of NIL$.

In our case, the most realistic scenario is to hit on recruiting talent that other teams missed, develop players in house, then make a bowl game, then land a couple of big recruits and transfers and sell others on the idea that Cal is about to break out.

Best case that might happen in two years, because it doesn't look like we're going to build enough momentum with this season's results to accelerate that. That said, I'd love to win 2 more games this year to at least build a little momentum and retain more players that we want to retain.
AZ Bear
Shocky,

I like your amplifications to my quick roster analysis.

My biggest takeaway: I didn't realize Nohl Williams has another year of eligibility left.

Not sure if he'll try for the NFL after this season but if he comes back to Cal next year that would be awesome! Nohl has been very good this year and I would be feeling pretty darn good about our secondary if Nohl returns next year and if we could recruit one starting Safety to replace McMorris.

Also, we both know Kanyon Floyd would be a great option at punter but don't know whether that will happen or not. I hope so.

Also, you reminded me about TE Marshall. Mendoza has shown that he is comfortable hitting the TE over the middle and I'll bet Spav could design some clever plays using a 2 TE set at times. Looking forward to that...
Shocky1
rj whitten (no actionable offer from cal) to byu
Shocky1

despite falling behind by 10 strokes after the 1st round them california golden bears roared back to finish 21 under par & win by 5 strokes over ucla & northwestern

the nation's most improved player tony chen shot a homakawa (the highest compliment that can be paid to a cal golfer) 8 birdie 7 under par 65 on his way to winning the individual title, congrats to the hard working australian native who wuz born in china

https://instagr.am/p/Cl-RtIDjr2r
fashionista lefty nathan wang captured a top 10 individual finish with a 6 under par tournament despite a dumb azz quadruple bogey 7 on the diabolical 141 yard par 3 16th hole in the 2nd round (hit a wedge to the center of the green next time & tie for the tournament individual title, ok?)

playing as an individual daniel heo finished at 5 under par to finish in a tie for 13th, this guy is a contenda not a pretenda

fast emerging charlie berridge played like a wall street bro with a 3rd round 3 under par 69 that included an eagle 3 on the 571 yard par 5 13th hole, keep an eye on the 6'5" new yorker who smoke shows his drives

ethan chang finished the tournament at 1 under par, that's controlling the ball for the usc transfer

yeah paper clips are tuff but ethan fang don't got his best stuff this week, that's golf

keep in mind that all of this **** wuz accomplished without the bear's best player senior leader sampson zheng or true freshman phenom eric lee

coach chun's true student athletes will now focus on academics & high as **** gpas before returning to berkeley at the end of january at north ranch country club in westlake village

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the monterrey peninsula)
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/B6tLOv_n7UQ
https://bearinsider.com/s/3800/weekend-visits-a-hit-with-cal-targets-and-commits

usc gameday visitor update from jim mcgill, favorable prospect feedback despite a breakking badd final score

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (just ask doms re: her monster degree)
HoopDreams
Shocky1 said:

^ the number one area of necessary offseason changes other than so'oto is the failed s&c program which is not developing quick twitch +1 athleticism thru yoga ala my work with jaylen brown

yoga not only got physical benefits but it also helps the mind to become relaxed & focused (sorta quiets all the monkey voices in my head) & move with decisiveness & clarity of thought in an innate manner...the reality is that a lotta the bears mirror their head coach's personality, paralysis by analysis as evidenced by his inability to quickly cut ties with non performing coaches & not giving his longtime live in curvy brunette yoga girlfriend a ring

let's be very clear on this, jaylen would not have signed his recent $305,000,000+ nba super max contract with the boston celtics without the monster

https://instagr.am/p/BZRTvlagD9_
energy shifter (starts on a yoga mat)#
Shocky1
the helton brothers are indicating that they are solid with iowa state academics & unlikely to take another official visit
6956bear
AZ Bear said:

I wasn't arguing that we have great players, or even players good enough to achieve our ST goals (whatever they are). I was looking at this an an exercise in allocating scarce resources.

Obviously we want the best players who are willing to come here, but the constraints are:

2) Finite NIL dollars (and program credibility) to persuade great players to come here

So my ranking was my view of the positions of greatest need that should get top priority in allocating limited resources.

I don't favor "standing pat"....I'm not saying we're already good enough at certain positions that we don't actively try to improve with superior players. As you said, if you can get an impact player to come and improve the roster, you do it....assuming you have the NIL to make it happen.

I don't really understand your comment about coaching and player talent. It seems like you're saying that because our coaching is subpar, we have to go out and get better players than we'd need if we had good coaching.

...But that's not how it works. The very best coaches don't say "We're excellent coaches, so we can still win with slightly lesser talent. So let's call it a day and go with the roster we have without going after incremental improvements in talent." I guarantee that every head coach tries to get the best players he can (given whatever character issues and other attributes he may choose to emphasize).

Overall though, I actually agree with you. We will need to upgrade talent to get a lot better on the field. But usually that doesn't happen with a winning record, a coach that people really want to play for, and, probably most importantly, a lot of NIL$.

In our case, the most realistic scenario is to hit on recruiting talent that other teams missed, develop players in house, then make a bowl game, then land a couple of big recruits and transfers and sell others on the idea that Cal is about to break out.

Best case that might happen in two years, because it doesn't look like we're going to build enough momentum with this season's results to accelerate that. That said, I'd love to win 2 more games this year to at least build a little momentum and retain more players that we want to retain.

Good coaches find a way to get the most out of their players. The OLB group has routinely put little pressure on the QB. So what is the answer? Lets continue to just rush 4 and then tell these players they need to win their individual matchup. What Sirmon is doing with that group is expecting these players to play beyond what they have shown they can do.

So my point regarding player talent relative to coaching is this. Find a player that can win. Because this style of defense is what I want. Rather than adjust philosophy to better use the available talent. Yesterday Sirmon acknowledged a deeper dive is needed this offseason to look at scheme etc. That is a day late and a dollar short. Proactivity is needed. Reactivity is what we get. I get that you cannot completely change everything in season, but he works with these players every day. He has to know the strengths and weaknesses. He said in preseason the defense would be more aggressive. Still waiting.

You always want the best players you can get. But you still have to play with what you have. I see a staff that is slow to respond. I see less urgency than what I believe is needed. On defense in particular.

In year 7 under Wilcox the team is not developing players well. Many of these players do not get materially better each year. There are several players that are playing below the levels they previously played. Mostly on defense. That troubles me as Wilcox is a defense first HC.

So is it the players or the staff? It is no doubt both. So now Cal needs 2 more seasons to finally get over the hump? I get the reality of the buyout. But I have very little confidence that this staff will be able to get the necessary talent to make a difference. Regardless of how much NIL $$ they may have.

Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CzC8EFvL9tN
doms & taylor (dressed up as her idol mrs wallis simpson, none of the bros of old town got the reference, honestly tay belongs in new york city) on the loose in the valley of the sun last nite (that's scary azz)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

https://instagr.am/p/Cs43nM5sz2u
cal's monster class acc introductions: part xvi

school: smu

mascot: peruna

stadium: gerald j ford stadium (32,000 capacity)

2023 forbes academic ranking: #169
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/

fun fact: acc expansion would probably not have happened if not for george bush lobbying acc prezs on behalf of smu (and thus in an indirect way calford)

so back in the mike montgomery era as the director of recruiting ima sitting at the end of the cal bench next to jay john...across from us is george & barbara bush sitting next to the dallas cowboys starting quarterback & head coach

as halftime starts i tell jay ima gonna go say howdy to the hosts across the way, jj just gives mr crazy town a smirky smile telling me good luck with that ****

the monster gets almost half way across the court before he's surrounded by 5 service service guys in dark suits & earpieces asking me wut's up?...yeah shocky never got to do the hang with 43

best gameday golf: trinity forest

https://instagr.am/p/BGF3Gj_IO_K
shocky's favorite smu grad (honorary, actually got a diploma from yale): george bush
https://instagr.am/p/Cko1I-aM0C9
fantastic recruiting news: the newly released acc schedules thru the end of this decade sets up cal with home & away protected rivalry games with smu every year...this will allow recruits & their families & friends to stay connected starting with the 2024 game in dallas (shocky just got his invitation to play brook hollow in highland park with slim wadie)

the bears 2024 high school class got more texans than californians

look napping (which is often a daily doggy activity as it is for their humans) is very important for true happiness (a tired body is a tired mind, napping allows the recharging process to take place), smu grads seem to understand this

the university of calveston=#1 ranked university in the world for seabirds & the cat with no name
Shocky1

cal's monster offensive line (got remarkable people that r protecting the most vulnerable in a safe place)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

monster top 10 in japan:

1) kawana (fuji): yeah the dumb azz is tryna rep a "c" in the above foto (which he's doing backwards) on the oceanside par 5 11th hole but this charles alison design is the best course in the land of rising sun with its fun playability, undulating coastal fairways & dramatic views of iconic mt fuji and perhaps most importantly a lotta shocky's beloved palm trees

2) hirono: the most private club in japan, this rugged yet walkable alison masterpiece recently underwent a successful & architecturally fateful restoration by gil hanse...the best par 3s in japan & the postgame lunch at the clubhouse got augusta national vibes

3) yokohama (west): a 2015 rebuild with new holes by my idols at coore & crenshaw (https://www.golfpass.com/travel-advisor/articles/coore-crenshaw-new-2023-golf-course-openings) coupled with the firm & fast turf conditions (which is not common in asia)...the 18th hole for the japan open is actually the 2nd hole of the east course & the magnificent uphill with forever memorable bunkering carved into the hillside is a brute par 4 for the pros but plays every day as a scoreable par 5 for the members, my favorite hole in japan

4) japanese a-5 waygu beef: my favorite cut of meat on planet earth followed by king island grassfed beef off the coast of australia & steaks from western nebraska's sandhills...dom arigato

5) toyko golf: the exclusive club got a gil hanse renovation that asks a lotta thoughtful questions but it's limited by the relatively flat topography that only pheobe bridgers could love on her day off under scorpio skies

6) kasumigaeski (east): tom fazio rebuilt this colt design with unfortunately an american 1980s style of architecture, the course hosted the 1st olympics golf competition & kinda reminds me of harding park but without the lake merced views

7) the bullet train: always on time & fast as ****, kinda like oakland's jet on the sweep to open space on the edge & an unlimited future

8) naruo: built into a caynon (that's perfect for late nite drag racing singing big boys don't cry) cove ala bel air, this scenic monster is easily the hardest golf course in japan

9) hakone: arguably the best course in the country built by a japanese architect, good but not great

10) the hedge hog cafe in toyko: my daughter shay's favorite memory (holding the feisty adorable creatures is not easily forgotten) of japan other than swimming with her dumb azz dad at the peninsula's top floor pool with dazzling nighttime views of toyko

lost in translation (talking is overrated, actions speak louder)#
https://instagr.am/p/CzBC5fZuCU8
the morikawas are enjoying fun socks in japan tho shocky thinks all clothing including socks r for losers

after colin's exciting/dominating 4th round comeback charge to win the pga tournament outside of toyko a week ago (an uncharacteristic release of emotions ensued in the celebration) which moved him up #12 in the official golf world rankings (max is #8), he's not gonna tee it up again until tiger's hero world tournament in albany new providence bahamas starting november 30th which will be his final tournament for 2023 & then won't return to action until the tournament of champions at coore & crenshaw's terrific kapalua plantation course the first week of 2024
Big C
6956bear said:

AZ Bear said:

Good coaches find a way to get the most out of their players. The OLB group has routinely put little pressure on the QB. So what is the answer? Lets continue to just rush 4 and then tell these players they need to win their individual matchup. What Sirmon is doing with that group is expecting these players to play beyond what they have shown they can do.

So my point regarding player talent relative to coaching is this. Find a player that can win. Because this style of defense is what I want. Rather than adjust philosophy to better use the available talent. Yesterday Sirmon acknowledged a deeper dive is needed this offseason to look at scheme etc. That is a day late and a dollar short. Proactivity is needed. Reactivity is what we get. I get that you cannot completely change everything in season, but he works with these players every day. He has to know the strengths and weaknesses. He said in preseason the defense would be more aggressive. Still waiting.

You always want the best players you can get. But you still have to play with what you have. I see a staff that is slow to respond. I see less urgency than what I believe is needed. On defense in particular.

In year 7 under Wilcox the team is not developing players well. Many of these players do not get materially better each year. There are several players that are playing below the levels they previously played. Mostly on defense. That troubles me as Wilcox is a defense first HC.

So is it the players or the staff? It is no doubt both. So now Cal needs 2 more seasons to finally get over the hump? I get the reality of the buyout. But I have very little confidence that this staff will be able to get the necessary talent to make a difference. Regardless of how much NIL $$ they may have.

Bottom line: Most fans who follow the Cal program closely thought we would have a "very good" defense this season... one great pass rusher from "elite". But we haven't been close to that, even before Jack Sirmon went down. The only player I can think of, off hand, who is "overperforming" is Elarms-Orr. Could make a decent-sized list of the underperformers (but why bother). Not sure if it's player development, scheme, or what, but bottom line is bottom line.
Shocky1
^ big c, can u even recall a single vontaze burfict bad azz big hit this season by the d?

yoga develops quick twitch +1 athleticism (otherwise moving in concrete)#
Shocky1

off to the races (in cipriani's basement)#
Oski87
Shocky1 said:

off to the races (in cipriani's basement)#
That is amazing. Top NFL speed levels. Tyreek Hill has the fastest so far this year at 22.1 MPH. He would be in the top 15 or so runners in terms of speed so far this year. Tyreek, Mostert, Achane are all over the chart.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/top-plays/fastest-ball-carriers/2023/REG/all
6956bear
Big C said:

6956bear said:

AZ Bear said:

Bottom line: Most fans who follow the Cal program closely thought we would have a "very good" defense this season... one great pass rusher from "elite". But we haven't been close to that, even before Jack Sirmon went down. The only player I can think of, off hand, who is "overperforming" is Elarms-Orr. Could make a decent-sized list of the underperformers (but why bother). Not sure if it's player development, scheme, or what, but bottom line is bottom line.
All of the above. One interesting thing if you look at conference stats is that Cal is now last in time of possession. They play fast now. Similar to how they played under Dykes. That exposes the defense to more plays. The USC game showed USC having 18 possessions. That is an ungodly number of possessions.

They have gone from a deliberate offense to faster paced. It has helped the offense, but does likely hurt the defense. You need significant depth on defense to play this way. Cal does not have that. But the defense has played below expectations. The CBs opposite Nohl Williams have been picked on all season. The pass rush has been weak all season, not just in the 4th quarter when tired.

What may help? A scheme that is designed to get more negative plays. The bend but not break that has been present most of the season by design gives the offense more plays. The defense needs to get the opposition off the field. And they still break down. The opposing teams get a significant number of chunk plays nearly every game. The chunk plays allowed vs negative plays forced on defense is very lopsided in favor of the opposition. More risk on defense is needed IMO. They have to get the other team to play behind the chains a lot more than they do.

82gradDLSdad
6956bear said:

Big C said:

6956bear said:

AZ Bear said:

All of the above. One interesting thing if you look at conference stats is that Cal is now last in time of possession. They play fast now. Similar to how they played under Dykes. That exposes the defense to more plays. The USC game showed USC having 18 possessions. That is an ungodly number of possessions.

They have gone from a deliberate offense to faster paced. It has helped the offense, but does likely hurt the defense. You need significant depth on defense to play this way. Cal does not have that. But the defense has played below expectations. The CBs opposite Nohl Williams have been picked on all season. The pass rush has been weak all season, not just in the 4th quarter when tired.

What may help? A scheme that is designed to get more negative plays. The bend but not break that has been present most of the season by design gives the offense more plays. The defense needs to get the opposition off the field. And they still break down. The opposing teams get a significant number of chunk plays nearly every game. The chunk plays allowed vs negative plays forced on defense is very lopsided in favor of the opposition. More risk on defense is needed IMO. They have to get the other team to play behind the chains a lot more than they do.

This is a good analysis. It says to me that Wilcox may be willing to change (uptempo offense) but not analyze (change the defense accordingly), at least not very well.
Shocky1
^^ 87, agreed that jaydn ott got unreal nfl speed, look at the usc defense alignment in the above video, can u imagine pitchout to the near side of the field?...who on planet earth is gonna tackle jaydn in open space on the edge?

one of ott's teammates tole me that marquez dortch might be the fastest guy in the program

other burners are javian "the jet" thomas, ashton stredick, nyziah hunter, mavin anderson & mason mangum

speed kills (and so does sugar)#
Shocky1
the following is a reprint from cal's monster class back in the day:

flew into cabo san lucas sat nite, met my buddy tommy at the airport & we took a taxi downtown for a late nite dinner at gordos...gordos is a one room restaurant with maybe 12 chairs that serves the best shrimp & steak tacos on earth (and its inexpensive too)...the owner (gordo, yeah he's not skinny) takes your order, cooks the food, delivers the meal to your table & then sings too...gotta love gordos

so we hit some range balls to loosen up this morning & hustle over to the 1st tee with our caddies at diamante's el cardonal, tiger woods' 1st golf course design which recently opened

but there are already two groups of pompous looking guys (throwing grifters joe passov & steve lapper chunky monkey vibes) standing by their golf carts (some of them smoking cigars) near the 1st tee, they are all wearing stanford gear, red shirts & hats...clearly they are a stanford group of some type

so the director of golf assesses the situation & walks over and tells the leader of the group, "my apologies mr winchester but we have 2 golf magazine raters who have both played the world's top 100 courses that are invited guests of mr jowdy (the developer of diamante) and it's very important that they both tee of first this morning in order to walk 36 holes today, please stand aside"

mr winchester is ******* pissed and barely nods his head ok...the other guys are grumbling & shuffle off the tee box

so tommy & i step onto the 1st tee as does mr winchester whose got his arms crossed, he's gonna see how good we are, there's gonna be wwiii if we slow down his two groups

we both blast tight draws down the middle of the fairway & hand our drivers to our caddies jesus & javier who are ready to roll

mr winchester is puffing on a thick cigar & got smoke coming out of his ears & is looking at me & tommy with stink eyes

so i smile at mr stanford showing lots of crocodile teeth, lock eyes on him & tell him "go bears" with a wink as we briskly walk down the par 5 1st fairway never looking bac

shocky got un boca grande#

https://instagr.am/p/CPKDccctn5i
the pga tour is traveling this week to cabo to play tiger's el cardonel design at diamante

colin morikawa is traveling japan with kat, max homa is putting up shelves & **** or something with lacey in scottsdale's arcadia neighborhood & byeong hun an is finishing out his pga suspension for taking a banned south korea cough medicine that his moms recommended to him at home at lake nona in orlando

so michael kim (playing very well in recent tournaments) & james hahn will be repping the bears on the pga tour this week in sunny mexico...the fairways are wide at el cardonel with minimal rough & 4 fun scoreable par 5s, scoring is gonna be super low (monster prediction: the winner will be at least 20 under par)

cal is a golf & swimming pool skool#
82gradDLSdad
Shocky1 said:

the following is a reprint from cal's monster class back in the day:

flew into cabo san lucas sat nite, met my buddy tommy at the airport & we took a taxi downtown for a late nite dinner at gordos...gordos is a one room restaurant with maybe 12 chairs that serves the best shrimp & steak tacos on earth (and its inexpensive too)...the owner (gordo, yeah he's not skinny) takes your order, cooks the food, delivers the meal to your table & then sings too...gotta love gordos

so we hit some range balls to loosen up this morning & hustle over to the 1st tee with our caddies at diamante's el cardonal, tiger woods' 1st golf course design which recently opened

but there are already two groups of pompous looking guys (throwing grifters joe passov & steve lapper chunky monkey vibes) standing by their golf carts (some of them smoking cigars) near the 1st tee, they are all wearing stanford gear, red shirts & hats...clearly they are a stanford group of some type

so the director of golf assesses the situation & walks over and tells the leader of the group, "my apologies mr winchester but we have 2 golf magazine raters who have both played the world's top 100 courses that are invited guests of mr jowdy (the developer of diamante) and it's very important that they both tee of first this morning in order to walk 36 holes today, please stand aside"

mr winchester is ******* pissed and barely nods his head ok...the other guys are grumbling & shuffle off the tee box

so tommy & i step onto the 1st tee as does mr winchester whose got his arms crossed, he's gonna see how good we are, there's gonna be wwiii if we slow down his two groups

we both blast tight draws down the middle of the fairway & hand our drivers to our caddies jesus & javier who are ready to roll

mr winchester is puffing on a thick cigar & got smoke coming out of his ears & is looking at me & tommy with stink eyes

so i smile at mr stanford showing lots of crocodile teeth, lock eyes on him & tell him "go bears" with a wink as we briskly walk down the par 5 1st fairway never looking bac

shocky got un boca grande#

https://instagr.am/p/CPKDccctn5i
the pga tour is traveling this week to cabo to play tiger's el cardonel design at diamante

colin morikawa is traveling japan with kat, max homa is putting up shelves & **** or something with lacey in scottsdale's arcadia neighborhood & byeong hun an is finishing out his pga suspension for taking a banned south korea cough medicine that his moms recommended to him at home at lake nona in orlando

so michael kim (playing very well in recent tournaments) & james hahn will be repping the bears on the pga tour this week in sunny mexico...the fairways are wide at el cardonel with minimal rough & 4 fun scoreable par 5s, scoring is gonna be super low (monster prediction: the winner will be at least 20 under par)

cal is a golf & swimming pool skool#

Sounds like you and are leading parallel lives, Shocky. I just finished another glue up on a table I'm rebuilding that I found on 7th and Irving in SF. While the glue dries I'll go over to a field across the street from my house and hit wedges by Hwy 4 in Bay Point. Did have dinner next to Gabe Kapler a couple of weeks ago two nights after he was fired at 4505 BBQ on Divisadero, so I'm not exactly slummin' it. Hope you had a great round.

#livintheretiredlife
HearstMining
6956bear said:

Big C said:

6956bear said:

AZ Bear said:

I don't entirely buy into this whole deal about a fast-playing offense exposing the defense to more plays. Lousy defense exposes the defense to more plays. If Cal's defense could make some stops on third down, they'd be able to get off the field. Maybe this is the problem with "bend-don't-break" defense. You can't be satisfied giving up 4-5 yards/play and then suddenly stiffen up when it's 3rd and 3 or 4th and 2.
Oakbear
shockey you must have done well in the "what I did this summer" during grade school
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/CxOCu8zJO9r
oak, not really, shocky got walked to his non-existent car more than once in grade school thru berkeley

life is not linear (**** happens)#
Big C
Shocky1 said:

^ big c, can u even recall a single vontaze burfict bad azz big hit this season by the d?

yoga develops quick twitch +1 athleticism (otherwise moving in concrete)#

If you are referring to "Zack Follett bad azz big hits", no Shocky, I cannot even recall a single one this season by the d.
Shocky1

as forecast above, michael kim with an early 1st round co share of the lead with ex lady's man camilo (he usta do threesomes in old town during the phoenix open before he got married) with a sizzling 8 under par 64 which included 13 of 14 drives finding the generous fairways & 15 of 18 greens in regulation & a scrambling one putt par on the kinda easy par 5 finishing hole to preserve the round

michael, just like his teammate max, saw his game struggle for years before revamping his swing to hit a much longer tee ball with a controlled draw...kim's putting has always been exceptional for the former bear who wuz the college player of the year back in the day

el cardonel is an ideal set up for michael with the lack of emphasis upon accuracy off the tee (which is not a strength of his game) to the multiple bowled in fairways that contain wayward tee balls

james hahn (rhymes with bond) with a solid opening round 69

look, homakawa r not the only bears that can win on the pga tour during the 2023 season...

bear on the prowl (and a longtime monster reader)#
6956bear
HearstMining said:

6956bear said:

Big C said:

6956bear said:

AZ Bear said:

I don't entirely buy into this whole deal about a fast-playing offense exposing the defense to more plays. Lousy defense exposes the defense to more plays. If Cal's defense could make some stops on third down, they'd be able to get off the field. Maybe this is the problem with "bend-don't-break" defense. You can't be satisfied giving up 4-5 yards/play and then suddenly stiffen up when it's 3rd and 3 or 4th and 2.
It is both. An offense that plays fast will allow for more plays to defend. But it is also true that the defense has to create some stops.

And in the USC game it became maginified as the turnovers (3 fumbles, 1 int and a failed 4th down try) occured in Cal territory. Immediately the opposition is in 4 down territory. The majority of teams use 4 downs now when on the opposing side of the 50. Even more so when down as USC was in 4th quarter.

And yes when it is 3rd and 2 vs 3rd and 7 the percentages change. In favor of the offense. That is my argument for a more aggressive less risk averse defense. You need to change the distances to go at times. Get a sack, a pressure, a TFL, a holding penalty. Something that helps the defense.

It would be helpful though if the bend but don't break defense would limit the other teams explosive plays. USC had several. The breakdowns on defense have been numerous. And at times disastrous. If you want the other team to have to drive the field then you cannot allow the number of back breaking big plays this team allows.

First Page Last Page
Page 170 of 308

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.