cal's monster offensive line

1,817,718 Views | 11115 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Shocky1
BearSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Big C said:

$125 is a terrible price point. Cal is admitting a lot of "first generation" college students, who probably start out as non-college sports fans and also may come from families with limited means. They really need to come up with more attractively-priced packages. Maybe $10 for football games ($20 for Big Game), $5 for basketball games. Or $45 for all football games; $35 for all basketball games. Or how about just FREE!
It's $125 all in -- so it is already about $10 per football game and a bit less than $5 per basketball game.

IMO, effectively charging $10/game and giving students free food in the stadium would be more effective than simply giving them free admission. Keep the $125 all-in price and give them a $20 credit for stadium (or arena) food at each game.
Shocky1
sd, with all due respect, if poor azz students don't got 125 bucks they're not gonna buy the pass & become future season tix holders/donors, ok?...wut ur proposing is not gonna work particularly as the the majority of the food vendors are independent contractors

keep in mind that many of today's berkeley students with 4.0+ gpas/class valedictorians didn't attend high school football/basketball games, changing their gameday behavioral patterns & hopefully transforming them into diehard bears is gonna require FREE tixs for all students

last season under extreme pressure from external forces markeisha offered a trial run of FREE tixs which resulted in the largest and loudest crowds on gamedays at haas pavilion since the cal's monster class era

then inexplicably with no explanation marekisha & knowlton discontinued this successful marketing strategy & bears basketball attendance reverted back to something south of mediocrity
Shocky1
BearSD
Shocky1 said:

sd, with all due respect, if poor azz students don't got 125 bucks they're not gonna buy the pass & become future season tix holders/donors, ok?...wut ur proposing is not gonna work particularly as the the majority of the food vendors are independent contractors

keep in mind that many of today's berkeley students with 4.0+ gpas/class valedictorians didn't attend high school football/basketball games, changing their gameday behavioral patterns & hopefully transforming them into diehard bears is gonna require FREE tixs for all students

last season under extreme pressure from external forces markeisha offered a trial run of FREE tixs which resulted in the largest and loudest crowds on gamedays at haas pavilion since the cal's monster class era

then inexplicably with no explanation marekisha & knowlton discontinued this successful marketing strategy & bears basketball attendance reverted back to something south of mediocrity
IMO just offering free admission works every so often, and maybe not well enough for a football game where it takes a lot more students to fill the student section than at a basketball game. Pretty much every game is on TV, so students can already watch for free without leaving their apartment/dorm/frat/etc. Giving them food is better than just giving them a free ticket. The cost to the athletic dept. of a $20 food voucher is minimal. The overhead on a $6 soda is about 5 cents, and the overhead on a $9 burger is about $2.
Shocky1
agreed on ur food/drink points, maybe we can agree that the cal athletic department should offer FREE tixs & FREE food/drinks to incentivize students to participate in the magic of cal football & basketball in person with their fellow students on gamedays?

san diego state's basketball program got overflow crowds & built a strong sustainable fanbase via this approach at viejas arena, it's the place to be on campus on gamedays
Cal_79
Shocky1 said:

on3 sports is reporting that collin gamble, marquez dortch, marquis montgomery & tiumalu afalava have all withdrawn their names from the transfer portal
https://www.on3.com/college/california-golden-bears/transfer-portal/wire/football/2024/

based upon academic issues shocky does NOT believe this report to be accurate

Isn't the existing scholarship forfeited when a player enters the transfer portal?
Shocky1
79, yes scholly are forfeited once a player enters the transfer portal, throwing away a berkeley degree for texas southern or central arkanasa is just a dumb decision

these guys aren't coming back
sosheezy
$125 is a fair price? It pretty breaks out to $10/game for footbal and $5/game for basketball. I think that was the student ticket package ballpark cost for my freshman year at UCLA in 1998. Considering inflation, that's pretty good. I think offering 1st years free is a nice offer. Get's them interested day 1.
Econ141

Mendoza will sky rocket us to the top soon enough.
Give to Cal Legends!

https://calegends.com/donation/ Do it now. Text every Cal fan you know, give them the link, tell them how much you gave, and ask them to text every Cal fan they know and do the same.
philbert
Go Cal burners!

bearsandgiants
Shocky1 said:

bearsandgiants said:

If Lyons is worth his salt, this summer he will announce free admission to all sports (until capacity) with priority given to those who Knowlton forced to pay, and a $125 concession or ASUC store merch credit for all those who did.
b&g, if knowlton is still the athletic director when the bears play uc davis on saturday august 31st at a mostly empty memorial stadium then cal football (and other sports) will be gone for good as we know them now

thinking the athletic department can continue to go forward on its current path toward a financial tsunami is simply the end of cal sports on a competitive level

Firing Knowlton needs to happen on day 1. I've posted about this before. We're in full agreement.
philbert
Calimony is here!

Shocky1

calimony: a well connected donor tole me recently over dinner that chancellor christ advised them that this wuz gonna happen, this is the GREATEST farewell present ever from chancellor christ

$10,000,000 is NOT gonna stop the financial tsunami that the con artist is leading the athletic department recklessly closer to with each day but it will at least cover the oregon state & washington state pac 2 buyout ($6,500,000) with a couple of million for other impending debt

gotta luv carol

Shocky1

wow, the monster wuz skeptical this would happen, but if the $10,000,000 a year thru fy 2029/2030 actually happens this will be crippling to ucla's debt management & a major plus for the next berkeley athletic director

8 clap (a contagious std roaming thru westwood, wash ur hands)#
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

the following is a loosely edited transcript at around 6:30 pm in the locker room at quail hollow back in the day after my world rankings golf course evaluation which was arranged by fellow g2c2 (global golf centurion club, membership rules require the completion of at least 1 world top 100 golf magazine list, the shockster has played the last 17 world lists) member adam (who is a golf professional)

shocky: (standing at the sink trying to scrub the bunker sand outta his eyes from the 18th hole)

random dude: you ok?

shocky: your club's sand is terrific, same bright white silicone stuff as augusta, but it's a pain in the azz when it gets in your eyes, everything is kinda blurry or something

random dude: (who is tying a light blue tie with a glistening white starched shirt) sorry to hear that, are you the rater that's visiting today to see if we're a world top 100 golf course?...are we that good?

shocky: yeah, that's me, fun day today, your definitely a usa top 100 golf course...ima shocky (extending a fist bump)

random dude: nice to meet you, i'm roy...so how do you rate these world top 100 golf courses?...at my old job i used to get invited out to prairie dunes all the time

shocky: prairie dunes is an amazing links golfing experience, easily the best course in kansas and in my world top 25 rankings...hey, do you wanna join me and adam for a quick drink?

random dude: would love to talk about golf course architecture with you guys, that's my new hobby, but i got to go this work function at 7:00 pm

shocky: (thinking it's some boring azz corporate function with rubber chicken) can't you just show up late?

random dude: not really, i'm sort of the featured speaker

shocky: (feeling sorry for this guy) well, good luck then, at least you got to play golf this afternoon

random dude: yeah work is work, please tell adam to shoot me a text regarding when he can give me another lesson, thanks

adam: (as shocks walks over to him in the locker room) do you know who just insulted with your work thing stuff?

shocky: i dunno, somebody who wants a lesson with you?

adam: (shaking his head & laughing) guess what dumb azz, that's roy williams

shocky: (hustling back to the sink area) hey roy, didn't mean to hassle you

roy: (kinda laughing) that's ok, you would be a tenacious assistant coach with that attitude

shocky: well, now that you mention it, i'm the director of recruiting for the cal basketball program and the co author of cal's monster class with its several million views which is the most read thread in the history of college basketball...did you know we are currently in major battles with you for three mcdonald all americans?

roy: (with a kinda smirk and perhaps a glimpse of recognition) really, and what three prospects are you referring to?

shocky: ivan rabb, jaylen brown and caleb swanigan...i've branded these recruitments as cal's diamonds are forever class.. do you know anything about these guys or do you just delegate recruiting to your assistant coaches?

roy: (tight smile but perhaps with a bit of annoyance) do you got a minute or two?

shocky: sure

roy: ok, walk with me to valet then, i gotta speak across town in thirty minutes, this is just between us, ok?

and then as we walk thru the clubhouse to the valet area by the front door roy williams lectures me for 5 minutes non stop breaking down the skillsets of ivan rabb, jaylen brown and caleb swanigan

his detailed knowledge is mind boggling, he tells me that ivan rabb (at that moment the #1 ranked player in the nation) is the most innate rebounder he's seen in years and very unselfish with the ball but that he's concerned about his unusual gait (note: ivan retired from the nba because of plantar fasciitis)...jaylen brown (ranked #5 in the class) is a future nba all star but will struggle in college with sharing the ball & 3 point shooting...caleb swanigan (ranked #12 in the class) could be a nba first rounder if he can successfully core out his body, his guardian roosevelt barnes is very involved in his recruitment (caleb, rip, was a cal silent commit but barnes refused to sign the letter of intent which resulted in him signing with purdue)

finally william's silver lexus suv shows up at the valet circle and roy looks me in the eyes & tells me with a little wink "nice meeting you, shocky, good luck in out recruiting me"

shocky is not a dumb azz, he knows what just happened...roy williams is the featured speaker at dozens of fans/donor events throughout north carolina every year & its kinda hard to come up with fresh new intro speeches, he can't wait to get to his dinner in 30 minutes and tell everybody how he just met this crazy as **** berkeley guy who thinks they are going to out recruit the fabled north carolina program that's won multiple national championships, the crowd is gonna love it & howl with laughter

well guess what?...the shockster got commitment from all 3 of these mcdonald all americans & signed 2 of them

2024 wells fargo pga tournament at quail hollow: 1st round update

collin morikawa: 67, 4 under par, tied for 2nd...drove it accurately with 12 out of 14 fairways
max homa: 69, 2 under par, tied for 12th...despite 7 out of 14 fairways & 11 out of 18 greens in regulation
ben an: 70, 1 under par, tied for 16th...rolling the rock with 120 feet in putts made

not so fun fact: all 3 bears got bogey 5s on their finishing par 4 holes

2024 myrtle beach pga tournament: 1st round update

michael kim: 68, 3 under par, tied for 24th
james hahn: 72, 1 over par, tied for 89th
Shocky1
Shocky1 said:

a day in the life of a fool (with a berkeley degree):

https://instagr.am/p/C6uKQhfrNzF
early morning doggy dog hike up the mountain, benji aka scrappy doo don't listen to **** while beauty tells him to listen to daddy & misty mae just wanna know when she's gonna get some food around here at the tree fort

shocky went to nooner modern yoga with master teacher anton, not particularly focused (as usual) but great tunes & eye candy (as usual)

https://instagr.am/p/C5PtjNsrRDQ
then the monster went to the old town chop shop & got his daily 32 oz green drink & an avocado egg sandwich on sourdough with steak added on top for extra protein...yeah shocky smiles at all the lulu lemons

https://instagr.am/p/C4a9PjOOfm2
too nice of a day to just get some work done so shocky goes to nearby papago to hit some balls, the head pro greets yoga boy & tells me that there wuz a tournament in the morning & that the course is absolutely empty...let's ******* go so shocky slings his black maczenie bag over his shoulder & sets off on a 2 and a half hours walking round

but wait, when shocky arrives on the 7th tee there are 5 college girls & their head coach on the tee box, it's the upstate south carolina college women's golf team in town for a tournament...how you do think this played out?...gonna give u 5 bucks if u can guess what happened then, got it?

yeah shocky asks the girls if they do yoga & they all nod and say yes

so then shocks breaks out the so predictable headstand with 25 stomach crunches which gets massive applause from his audience

coach asks me wut i do for a living?

tell him ima "substitute yoga teacher at modern yoga"

not sure he believes me, whatever

then shoski turns to the girls & mock whispers "actually ima male azz stripper"

that gets everybody laughing, this **** is getting live

berkeley isn't for everyone (but everybody can be whoever they wanna be)#
https://instagr.am/p/C6rZlDsOlhk
california golden bears on the prowl....rooooooaaaaaaarrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!#
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C55P-dPOMtN
nerdy napkin math:

$15,000,000-covert loan by the athletic department from the central campus discovered by shocky's relentless public information requests & threats of legal action against delaney heller

plus

$19,000,000-fy 23/24 reduction in media rights revenues from pac 12 to acc

plus

$6,500,000-cal share of pac 2 settlement payment to oregon state/washington state

equals

$40,500,000 revenue shortfall

minus

$10,000,000-potential fy23/24 calimony

equals

$30,500,000-fy23/24 revenue shortfall with no financial plans by knowlton

bottom line: calimony is NOT the solution to the impending financial tsunami heading towards the cal athletic department

ponytails r triggering#

Shocky1

3.7 gpa 2025 cal commit/quarterback of the future#
Shocky1
https://instagr.am/p/C3E4HrwLKqg
a sr exec of a nba organization (client of mine) is advising that their scouting dept has been told that bronny james jr will be leaving his name in the 2024 nba draft

sorry oski
Shocky1

6'4" 282 lbs nose tackle wyoming grad transfer gavin meyer is gonna take a left coast official recruiting trip to cal & usc, he got 1 year of remaining eligiblity & will also trip to wisconsin (grew up in franklin, south of milwaukee) & illinois

https://instagr.am/p/CiiW6xPOLiC
gavin is not a dumb azz, he wuz an all academic mountain west honoree multiple years & graduated with a degree in wildlife & fish biology management...his unique path in life got infinite possibilities including studying cali ecosystems

https://instagr.am/p/CdQmI8krrVM
yeah maybe meyer wanna an adventure developing potential nfl upside with coach browning in the atlantic athletic conference while living further afar on the west coast & building an elite academic resume, unlike the nasty freezing azz midwest cali is sweater weather

gavin, if u commit to the #1 ranked public university in the world, we're gonna take shocky's beat to **** lexus convertible (cars r for losers, they should be sustainablely driven into the ground) on a drive to muir woods (where the trees r good) & stinson beach high school (alma mater of jared goff), got it?...maybe u will meet ur forever curvy brunette yoga dream female there or something?...trust me, she's not wearing an ugly azz red sweatshirt eating a double cheeseburger with fries & a strawberry shake at the culivers in madison

https://instagr.am/p/Cz9MVo7tPf5
the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (for those that love the great outdoors 24/7/365)

6956bear
Shocky1 said:

3.7 gpa 2025 cal commit/quarterback of the future#
McDaniel has some skills. If he played at someplace other than Hughson he would be much more highly rated IMO. Has a chance to be a really good player.
philbert
Shocky1 said:

https://instagr.am/p/C3E4HrwLKqg
a sr exec of a nba organization (client of mine) is advising that their scouting dept has been told that bronny james jr will be leaving his name in the 2024 nba draft

sorry oski
Can you share what his thoughts are on Tyson now? Hope he's a first round lock.
Shocky1
philbert, sent u a pm
Shocky1

2025 6'4" 235 lbs tight end barone naone from west linn oregon is gonna officially trip to cal on june 13th-16th...he wuz originally an oregon state commit before decommiting

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world (including the drizzly azz northwest)
https://www.forbes.com/top-colleges/
Shocky1

2024 wells fargo pga tournament at quail hollow: 2nd round update

collin morikawa: 70, 5 under par, 6th place...working again with swing coach rick sessinghaus
ben an: 68, 4 under par, tied for 7th...drove the 355 yard par 4 14th hole to 16 feet, tap in birdie
max homa: 70, 3 under par, tied for 13th...11 birdies is 2nd in the field only behind xander

https://instagr.am/p/CrrZR5KpwGG
2024 myrtle beach pga tournament: 2nd round update

michael kim, 68, six under par, tied for 19th
james hahn, 71, missed the cut

Shocky1
CONGRATULATIONS to all california golden bears completing their 2024 spring semester finals at the #1 ranked public university in the world

hopefully ur not too tired from reading books & **** to finally get around to painting ur sorry azz walls with summertime colors...maybe get a friend to help out or something?

https://instagr.am/p/B_qxnIODyW3
or maybe u could further develop ur creative side & start drawing paintings & ****

just remember, life is NOT linear, who u r today don't mean that u gotta be that person tomorrow, got it?

fyi, shocky's goal this summertime is to eat cleaner & grow out a man ponytail (which will be triggering to curvy brunette yoga females)!!!

https://instagr.am/p/Ckird1lMB4g
Shocky1

cal golf update: coach walter chun has set the following starting line up for next week's may 13th-15th ncca regionals qualifying tournament at the farms near one of shocky's favorite places on planet earth (legoland)

1) sampson zheng
2) ethan fang
3) eric lee
4) jeewon park
5) tony chen
alt) nathan wang
Shocky1

https://instagr.am/p/C6zPCmcslBU
berkeley finals (the struggle that must be for a brighter tomorrow)#@
Shocky1

2025 6'3" 235 lbs non stop motor edge defender/outside linebacker from central high school (el centro)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
Shocky1

grant newell & his little league dad r transferring to north texas, walking away from a berkeley degree is clearly the right move for the future nba baller (tho he wuz the worst defender in the pac 12 in 2023) in their quest to build generational wealth

https://instagr.am/p/B58_Dkzpjai
50 year decision (loading boxes at the buc-ee's in denton at age 30)#
Shocky1

r u an academic focused role model or a dumb azz???#
Shocky1

not so fun fact: max, ben & collin got bogey 5s on their finishing hole (either the brutal par 4 9th or 18th hole) in the 1st two rounds 5 outta 6 times

bears r closers (without nasty azz coffee)#
6956bear
Shocky1 said:

2025 6'3" 235 lbs non stop motor edge defender/outside linebacker from central high school (el centro)#

the university of california, berkeley=#1 ranked public university in the world
This is a very intriguing player. Has good size and speed. Is a 3 sport HS athlete and is good in all 3. If he commits to football full time could really good. Plays in a weak league in El Centro. If he played in Orange County he would be higher rated but is a high 3 star regardless.

Former Cal and NFL LB Mike Mohamed came from the same area of the state (Imperial County).
Shocky1
6956, agreed this is a highly instinctual backer who explosively closes on the ball, my take is that jared would commit to his childhood favorite usc if given an actionable offer at any point in his recruitment

will be interesting to see if the value of the berkeley degree is an integral factor in this recruitment...the truth is that marshall cherrington's retention of admissions silver bullets (sub 3.0 gpa) has been no bueno in recent years tho lately the bears are getting commitments from higher gpa academically motivated true student athletes (also with an emphasis upon much needed speed) that are more likely to not bail on the hard work in earning berkeley degree opportunities in their quests to build generational wealth (which is not gonna happen with nil dollars for 99.9% of all young men)
Econ141
Shocky1 said:

grant newell & his little league dad r transferring to north texas, walking away from a berkeley degree is clearly the right move for the future nba baller (tho he wuz the worst defender in the pac 12 in 2023) in their quest to build generational wealth

https://instagr.am/p/B58_Dkzpjai
50 year decision (loading boxes at the buc-ee's in denton at age 30)#

Didn't just walk away from a Berkeley degree...walked away from playing Duke and UNC in the ACC. Did he really leave on his own accord? That was a lose-lose decision.
First Page Last Page
Page 264 of 318

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.