Story Poster

Bears Stay Local With Addition of McClymonds RB Jaivian Thomas

December 13, 2022

After the departure of the trio of Damien Moore, DeCarlos Brooks and Chris Street to the transfer portal, the Bears added another speedy running back to the roster in 3 star McClymonds (Oakland, CA) High School running back Jaivian Thomas‍ tonight with his commitment to Cal.

“I visited Cal a few months back then I visited again when they first offered,” said Thomas. “Cal as a kid, I always loved them. I’d been to a few games as a kid. It’s a great environment and Cal’s a great place to be.

“When I was out at Cal, everybody greeted me and welcomed me, even if they didn’t know who I was at the time. That just shows what type of locker room they have and what type of players they have at Cal. The coaches are all the same. I really like that about the players and coaches at Cal.”

Besides the comfort level Thomas developed with the program, the relationship he built with Cal running backs coach Aristotle Thompson was also a selling point for the Oakland RB.

“Me and Coach AT have built a great bond over the past few months,” noted Thomas. “We’ve been building that during the process and it will be great to have the opportunity to be coached by him.

“He’s seen a lot of improvement from last year and this year. One thing about me that I show, not only on the offensive side but on defense, is my leadership and taking ownership on both sides of the ball and not being selfish out there.

“I go by ‘The Jet’ because of my speed. I don’t have a lot of size but I bring a lot of speed and physicality to the game and I leave it all on the field.” Thomas noted that he’s both a leader with his play and vocally, as well.

Thomas had a stellar senior season, picking up 2,528 yards at a 14.5 ypc clip, adding 33 touchdowns on the ground and through the air and also played corner on defense for the Warriors, helping lead them to the state championship game last weekend.

The speedy running back also ran a 10.8 100 last year and was on McClymond’s third place 4x100 relay team in this spring’s state championships.

Thomas’s commitment brings the Bears’ total to nine high school commits along with two portal commits from Colorado CB Kaylin Moore‍ and UNLV CB Nohl Williams‍. The commitment comes a week ahead of the 2022 early signing day window.

Related:

Bears Add Another Portal Transfer in UNLV DB Nohl Williams

Bears Make Their First Portal Addition in CU CB Kaylin Moore

Discussion from...

Bears Stay Local With Addition of McClymonds RB Jaivian Thomas

10,152 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Richmondbear2
calumnus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Love small fast backs in the college game. The Jet will be a good fit forthe Air Raid.
Rushinbear
calumnus said:

Love small fast backs in the college game. The Jet will be a good fit forthe Air Raid.
Little by little we are adding serious speed to the squad. Thomas is super quick, too. This is the essence of the college game today.
wifeisafurd
Spav offense typically relies on speed and a good delivery system (i.e., good QB). Feel the need for speed.!
oski003
wifeisafurd said:

Spav offense typically relies on speed and a good delivery system (i.e., good QB). Feel the need for speed.!

Not Vic Enwere?
91Cal
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

Little by little we are adding serious speed to the squad. Thomas is super quick, too. This is the essence of the college game today.

Welcome to the family, Jaivian & family!

Love the speed & love the local roots!

The new O will get you into space and put pressure on opposing defenses! Looking forward to your family experiencing the 2022 Big Game atmosphere for EVERY game at CMS, the Bearents tailgates and so much more!

Go Bears!
CarmelBear
Some solid cutback ability there. Shifty. Like Forsett. But faster.
Econ141
Amazing highlights and great speed. Seems under the radar - anyone know why he didn't have bigger name programs on his offer list?
Rushinbear
Econ141 said:

Amazing highlights and great speed. Seems under the radar - anyone know why he didn't have bigger name programs on his offer list?
Often, no ratings means no camps. No camps, no radar blip.
calumnus
Econ141 said:

Small, fast backs go under the radar every year. The ratings guys love big tall, fast backs that play for big programs and project to high NFL draft picks.
LawoftheBear
Over my years of following recruiting on cyberbears and then on Bear Insider, 14.5 yards per carry in high school translates really well to college ball.

14.5 ypc is ridiculous!

Is 14.5 ypc one of the best ever? How does that compare to the high school stats of our all time greats?
MoragaBear
Staff
LawoftheBear said:

Over my years of following recruiting on cyberbears and then on Bear Insider, 14.5 yards per carry in high school translates really well to college ball.

14.5 ypc is ridiculous!

Is 14.5 ypc one of the best ever? How does that compare to the high school stats of our all time greats?
I've never seen a Cal recruit with an average ypc like that who has a lot of carries, even Jahvid.
graguna
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

all our backs have speed; Ott, Hayes, Stredick and now Thomas
NVBear78
calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

Small, fast backs go under the radar every year. The ratings guys love big tall, fast backs that play for big programs and project to high NFL draft picks.

Doesn't Kansas State have a tiny running back who is tearing it up like Sproles did back in the day…
Rushinbear
LawoftheBear said:

14.5 ypc is ridiculous!

10 ypc has always been the gold standard for rb's. 20 for wr's. have to have real, functional speed to reach those numbers.
calumnus
NVBear78 said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

Doesn't Kansas State have a tiny running back who is tearing it up like Sproles did back in the day…

Deuce Vaughn 5'6 172 LBs. In three years has 3,471 yards rushing at 5.5 YPC and 1,280 yds receiving at 11.0 ypr scoring 42 TDs.

GivemTheAxe
calumnus said:

Like the fact that he has great vision to find the holes in the DL and excellent cuts to take advantage of those holes
Once he is in the open "What a Bonanza"
Forsett 2.0
DiabloWags
MoragaBear said:

I've never seen a Cal recruit with an average ypc like that who has a lot of carries, even Jahvid.

Jahvid was 10.4 yards per carry at Salesian.
He ran the 100m in 10.3
Thomas is 10.8

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
LawoftheBear
Thank you!

That is what I recalled. The great Jahvid averaged a little over 10 ypc.

I just looked up Reggie Bush's high school stats. Google says that he averaged 12.1 ypc.

In comparison, a player that comes into college football with a 14.5 ypc is very very interesting!
calumnus
DiabloWags said:

MoragaBear said:

He ran the 100m in 10.3
Thomas is 10.8

I'd be interested in comparing their 40 times, which is more relevant on 95% of plays.

Thomas also has some wiggle, which is important in getting to a place to use straight line speed.

Getting the ball to our RBs in space is going to be key to our success next season.
MoragaBear
Staff
Thomas has never been timed in the 40 so he's obviously never been to any combines and that's certainly impacted his ratings and offers
calumnus
MoragaBear said:

Thomas has never been timed in the 40 so he's obviously never been to any combines and that's certainly impacted his ratings and offers

Our (and his) gain. Glad he is a Bear
MoragaBear
Staff
calumnus said:

MoragaBear said:

Our (and his) gain. Glad he is a Bear
Yup!
MilleniaBear
I'm excited to see what the training table (nutrition) and strength and conditioning coach can do. Combine some strength and stamina with those fast twitch muscles and field vision and this guy can rock.
burritos
Every highlight is a Td?
PtownBear1
calumnus said:

DiabloWags said:

MoragaBear said:

He ran the 100m in 10.3
Thomas is 10.8

Crazy that Jahvid was only a 3 star.

I'd be interested in comparing their 40 times, which is more relevant on 95% of plays.

Thomas also has some wiggle, which is important in getting to a place to use straight line speed.

Getting the ball to our RBs in space is going to be key to our success next season.

He was a 4 star. High rated than Ott
LawoftheBear
Speaking of Jahvid, who remembers 2008 Cal v. WSU? If not for Tedford the Merciful, did Jahvid have a shot at rushing for almost over 7000 yards and 10 touchdowns in one game?

Jahvid up the middle for 80 yards and a touchdown and WSU could not do anything about it. Then Shane Vereen was put in to be nice to WSU and Shane did the same. Then it seems that Tedford said "Screw it! I can't do this to the WSU coach. I better start calling dink and dunk plays because Jahvid up the middle just isn't fair."

But 14.5 yards per carry... could we beg Coach Wilcox, just one time please! If there is ever a chance for a historical performance, could he just allow the fans to witness it? Pretty please!

Rushinbear
calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

thomas now rated as 88.
DiabloWags
calumnus said:

DiabloWags said:

MoragaBear said:

He ran the 100m in 10.3
Thomas is 10.8

Jahvid ran the 40 in 4.35

It was the sixth fastest overall at the NFL Combine.
It was the fastest among running backs.

"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
OsoDorado
I'm excited about this kid! He's going to be a star....
graguna
LawoftheBear said:

Speaking of Jahvid, who remembers 2008 Cal v. WSU? If not for Tedford the Merciful, did Jahvid have a shot at rushing for almost over 7000 yards and 10 touchdowns in one game?

Jahvid up the middle for 80 yards and a touchdown and WSU could not do anything about it. Then Shane Vereen was put in to be nice to WSU and Shane did the same. Then it seems that Tedford said "Screw it! I can't do this to the WSU coach. I better start calling dink and dunk plays because Jahvid up the middle just isn't fair."

But 14.5 yards per carry... could we beg Coach Wilcox, just one time please! If there is ever a chance for a historical performance, could he just allow the fans to witness it? Pretty please!

I think that was against WA. Best could have easily broken the college single game rushing record but was pulled a few minutes into the 3rd quarter
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

calumnus said:

Econ141 said:

thomas now rated as 88.

After committing to Cal, right?

If you click on the 247 (previously Scout, right?) ranking history for Jahvid, he was a NR, then bumped retroactively after being drafted by the Lions, then again in 2017 to his current high ranking, but long after his football career was over, a lot of revisionist history by the ranking services, especially when certain ones run by fans of our rivals purposely ranked Cal's recruits and classes low.
Richmondbear2
And his 10.8 was as a Junior whereas the 10.3 was Jahvid's SR season. So Thomas may be faster than last year
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.