Saban on NIL

9,381 Views | 135 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by cal83dls79
cal83dls79
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Saban is absolutely spot on.

"If my voice can bring about some meaningful change, I want to help any way I can because I love the players and I love college football," Saban told ESPN. "What we have now is not college football, not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist."

While still coaching at Alabama, Saban said, he understood that any critique he made of the current NIL climate combined with the transfer portal -- in particular the lack of rules on agents shopping around players in the portal and schools bidding on high school players through donor-based collectives -- could come across as self-serving. But now that he's no longer coaching, Saban plans to take an even stronger stance.

OdontoBear66
cal83dls79 said:

"If my voice can bring about some meaningful change, I want to help any way I can because I love the players and I love college football," Saban told ESPN. "What we have now is not college football, not college football as we know it. You hear somebody use the word 'student-athlete.' That doesn't exist."

While still coaching at Alabama, Saban said, he understood that any critique he made of the current NIL climate combined with the transfer portal -- in particular the lack of rules on agents shopping around players in the portal and schools bidding on high school players through donor-based collectives -- could come across as self-serving. But now that he's no longer coaching, Saban plans to take an even stronger stance.

Not a big fan of Saban, but love the quote
cal83dls79
OdontoBear66 said:

cal83dls79 said:

as I got older and tired of losing I warmed up to Saban. Didn't see him as much of the villain.
OneKeg
I don't know.

Counterpoint: at Alabama and many other programs, there already weren't any student-athletes for the most part. The vast majority of players for the Crimson Tide (or most SEC teams, and many teams outside the SEC too) haven't been student-athletes for a few decades now.

They have been football players first and foremost. Spending time around a University with a system set up to compensate the best of them under the table and give them passing credit in classes to keep the pretense of APR (and maybe graduation rates) up so the athletic program could continue to profit off them. Meanwhile coaches like Saban made mid-7 to 8 figures with no restriction on their official compensation or mobility between jobs like the players had. Why do only middle-aged and old men have the right to market-rate compensation and mobility in CFB?

The main difference now is that much of the player compensation is allowed (or at least de-facto allowed) out in the open, and the players have gained the mobility and unrestricted market-rate compensation that the coaches have always enjoyed. And of course, some of Alabama's competitive advantage is gone because every school can mostly do what Alabama has always done to compensate players.

I feel as if Saban is bemoaning the loss of a mirage - one which benefited him greatly.

I don't love the current state of CFB either, but then I haven't for a couple decades.

There needs to be some regulation of the CFB labor market. But that regulation should go for coaches as well as for players. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
Sebastabear
Agree. Huge admiration for Saban as a coach. His willingness to reinvent his offensive scheme while at the very pinnacle of success was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. But his complaints about NIL are ridiculous.

Of course Alabama doesn't want anything to change. Leveling the playing field is the last thing Nick Saban, or anyone associated with a school like that, would want. Have you ever been to Tuscaloosa? What exactly is the draw there other than football? Academically, culturally, climatically, geographically, socially there's really no comparison between Tuscaloosa and Berkeley. The reason that Alabama dominated the sport was because they were able to game the system. So as a huge surprise to no one, they don't like that system changing.

Well guess what? It changed and it isn't changing back.

Here's to brighter days for the Golden Bears as a result.
concernedparent
cal83dls79 said:

OdontoBear66 said:

cal83dls79 said:

as I got older and tired of losing I warmed up to Saban. Didn't see him as much of the villain.
He's about as good as it gets for a coach of a football factory, especially a southern one.
Bobodeluxe
He had the good sense to see through tosh, and give him the boot when his coaching flaws were exposed.
91Cal
Sebastabear said:

Agree. Huge admiration for Saban as a coach. His willingness to reinvent his offensive scheme while at the very pinnacle of success was one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. But his complaints about NIL are ridiculous.

Of course Alabama doesn't want anything to change. Leveling the playing field is the last thing Nick Saban, or anyone associated with a school like that, would want. Have you ever been to Tuscaloosa? What exactly is the draw there other than football? Academically, culturally, climatically, geographically, socially there's really no comparison between Tuscaloosa and Berkeley. The reason that Alabama dominated the sport was because they were able to game the system. So as a huge surprise to no one, they don't like that system changing.

Agree completely…why would not so jolly Nick want anything to change???

Further to his sanctimonious statement, he didn't seem to have anything to say as his salary has increased 20x from his first HC job at Michigan State.

What also doesn't look like college football is the Alabama locker rooms…nicer than most NFL teams.
bearsandgiants
Sebastabear said:

Coeds
6956bear
Sebastabear said:

The rules are such that if you can finance the collective to a robust level you can be much more competitive in roster acquistition. It is not a surprise that Saban is speaking out regarding the issue. Alabama now has to play in the same world that everybody else does.

But he is a powerful voice and will get folks to listen. The bigger issue I have regarding these changes is there are no rules. And what rules they do have are not followed and there is no enforcement. Tennessee clearly violated the spirit of the rules (at best) and is now under investigation. Their response was to sue the NCAA.

Tampering is a huge issue. Being a staff member today is a 24/7 operation. It was always time consuming but now there literally is no time off. Not if you want to have any chance at being competitive.

The players are going to get paid. They are going to be allowed freedom of movement. That is fine and I have no problem with that. But there does seem to be a real need to provide some rules that can be enforced. And for those that play outside the rules to be punished. Severely.

The need to get a system in place that allows for compensation, freedom of movement and specific and enforceable rules around NIL and transfers/recruiting is obvious. NIL needs to be what it was intended to be. A way for student athletes to get compensated for their name, image and likeness. If Livvy Dunne can earn several millions for that good for her. Same for Caleb Williams, Bronny James or Caitlin Clark. But the pay to play world that exists now is chaos.

There is enough money in this sport to pay the players and provide NIL opportunities to those unique athletes that have the ability to earn it.

I am glad Saban is speaking on this issue. Even if it is primarily due to Alabama losing some if its competitive advantage. There needs to be rules regarding this. Rules that will be enforced and violators punished swiftly and harshly.

It is possible to have a system that compensates the players (all of them) provides a way for the unique athletes to have NIL opportunities and bring some level of stability to the sport. But the greed in the sport from all people involved likely gets nothing done.

wifeisafurd
Sebastabear said:

I don't see football changing back to what it was, and I think it is whole lot better when fans are supporting players, than making it purely professional league with colleges paying players. But I fear absent some form of guard rails that apply to everyone, that is where college football is heading. At that point, I likely would rather watch the NFL - they have a much better professional product.
golden sloth
Minor side tangent:

I do think the player empowerment movement and freedom of movement hurts the overall quality of play as it requires coaches to simplify their schemes and strategy with the understanding that they will need to have a system that can be mastered by the players in one off-season. I think the impact of this will be more heavily felt in the NFL as the players are simply not as prepared for the more complicated schemes required in the pro's.
Sebastabear
Quote:

Tennessee clearly violated the spirit of the rules (at best) and is now under investigation. Their response was to sue the NCAA.
My only quibble is that the university of Tennessee and its collective absolutely violated the NCAA's NIL rules - you don't have to get into the spirit vs the letter of the law. And the one doing the suing is the Attorney General of Tennessee himself. Must be nice to have that kind of support.

We absolutely need have to have enforceable rules. And tampering really must be prohibited. The issue is that the NCAA is weak and every time they go to court they lose. The only fix here is for Congress to act and grant the NCAA or a successor an antitrust exemption. Otherwise it's all just the honor system, and as we have seen "honor" is not a high priority with a lot of schools.

You can't have complete free agency, no draft, no salary caps and immediate eligibility to transfer and play for another team. It doesn't work for any sport at any level. Everyone knows this. Yet until we have an organization that can actually enforce these rules this ship is going down.

Good news is that this goose is pretty golden and hugely important to vast swaths of the country. Eventually, Congress has to get its act together and I know that is a lot to ask. Hopefully they can pull this off sooner rather than later,
OdontoBear66
There were schools before the full effects of NIL that were benefitting greatly because they were more singular in the perks to players. We know who they all are and closer to home would be U$C football for as long as I can remember, and UCLA BB in its heyday. So the effect now is that is out in the open, we don't have student athletes knowing that they are playing against student athletes, and getting paid even bigger sums of money.

Even in that I don't care for it, it has leveled the playing field more. The few giving the big money are no longer alone. Now the college game itself---too bad.
Jeff82
Sebastabear, do you think there's any chance that what finally forces Congress to do something is when the tragedies start coming to light, kids that entered the portal, were not selected, were terminated from their former school, and ended up with no football career, no college degree, and ended up in poverty, drug addiction, crime, etc. I'm recalling in this regard Marvin Miller's comment about creating the CBA with MLB, part of which was his determination that the players as whole would make more money and be better off if they all didn't become free agents every year, but that there was a system that created an orderly flow of available players.
Sebastabear
Jeff82 said:

Sebastabear, do you think there's any chance that what finally forces Congress to do something is when the tragedies start coming to light, kids that entered the portal, were not selected, were terminated from their former school, and ended up with no football career, no college degree, and ended up in poverty, drug addiction, crime, etc. I'm recalling in this regard Marvin Miller's comment about creating the CBA with MLB, part of which was his determination that the players as whole would make more money and be better off if they all didn't become free agents every year, but that there was a system that created an orderly flow of available players.
in a perverse way, it would be reassuring if tragedy could motivate Congress to act. It would at least show that they had some concept of the human price of the system. But, without getting political, this Congress' ability to ignore human tragedy is, shall we say, "robust."

I think what will change this system is enough donors and voters with enough vested interest in seeing the sport preserved getting in their ears, and them deciding they have to do something. There are some obvious fixes that probably could get broad consensus. For example, dealing with international players and how they can monetize their NIL while playing in the United States without jeopardizing their student visas. Maybe they can start there and build out from that.

The problem though is that some of these proposals from Congress do not reside in the real world. Corey Booker, for example, has stated that NIL should be reformed to clarify it can neither be an inducement to join another school (which is the current rule) or as an inducement to stay in school. Which is kind of like saying your salary can't be an inducement to stay in your job. And how would that work exactly?

But I am not going to spend a lot of time handwringing over the state or trajectory of college football. It's not productive. What is productive is the observation that the University of California badly needed some kind of systemic reboot to create competitive revenue sports. And while this isn't the one any of us would've designed, we have to acknowledge that it also plays to a lot of Cal's strengths. We have a large and wealthy alumni base. They have shown they will be engaged if we produce winning teams. See the USC basketball game from just a few weeks ago. If we can build winning teams with enough donors who see the potential our fans will come and we can finally make a championship program. That's where I'm going to focus my energy

https://calegends.com/calegendsdonate/

bluehenbear
https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/wilcox-says-nil-no-1-issue
bearchamp
The really radical change is going to be when the athletes unionize and are classified as employees. They can be employees if they receive compensation from the schools, soooooo, direct support from the schools will cease in order to avoid the employee classification. Some schools will revert to mid-century style programs with no scholarships and teams made up of true student athletes. I imagine NIL will become all important.
Sebastabear

Quote:

Sure, offensive schemes, weight training, organizational skills, player management and all those other things matter, but none as much as NIL.
Word.
cal83dls79
Sebastabear said:

I'd like to share your optimism that NIL is "leveling the playing field". Time will tell. My suspicion is that it won't. So the teams that were kicking our butts on the football field will be the same ones winning the NIL arms race. Let's see. Seems like we have some smart and creative people spearheading this this thing and I admire that.
As a side, was listening to an interview on KNBR with Randy Bennett. Discussion veered to NIL and portal. On the latter he said he hasn't t participated. Also noted that given time commitment to manage that AND coach that many institutions have a "GM" position to handle that job. Makes sense but doubt cal would ever create that role and frankly worried we could fill that role without screwing it up.
Sebastabear
cal83dls79 said:

Sebastabear said:

I'd like to share your optimism that NIL is "leveling the playing field". Time will tell. My suspicion is that it won't. So the teams that were kicking our butts on the football field will be the same ones winning the NIL arms race. Let's see. Seems like we have some smart and creative people spearheading this this thing and I admire that.
As a side, was listening to an interview on KNBR with Randy Bennett. Discussion veered to NIL and portal. On the latter he said he hasn't t participated. Also noted that given time commitment to manage that AND coach that many institutions have a "GM" position to handle that job. Makes sense but doubt cal would ever create that role and frankly worried we could fill that role without screwing it up.

Reason number one Randy Bennett would've been a disaster at Cal. We dodged a complete bullet. Like many of his generation and ilk who had significant success before NIL he has no interest in it either at St. Mary's or at Cal.. the idea that some general manager could just take this over for the institution are absolutely the words of a coach who wants that to work. But it doesn't. Justin Wilcox, and Mark Madsen, and Charmin all have to be intimately involved in this. Major donors will respond to them and really no one else.

as to whether this new era portends a sea change, indeed it is true that only time will tell. But I will note that for the first time since the CFP era began the SEC did not have a representative in the championship game. That's not a coincidence. The diffusion of talent across college football is definitely happening. It is still an accreting to certain schools more than others but the good part is everyone can now play the game. We'll see where it leads for Cal. But we badly needed a change and finally got one.
wc22
Relevant

cal83dls79
Pretty sure "bag men" have reinvented themselves. To think otherwise would be naive
wc22
The point is that athletes at Bama were getting paid all through Saban's run.
cal83dls79
wc22 said:

and now we have another vehicle that's unregulated
wc22
cal83dls79 said:

wc22 said:

It is better than the previous system where all the Blue Bloods got to pay players (so long as it never made the papers) and the NCAA focused on trivial issues and punishing smaller teams.
OdontoBear66
wc22 said:

cal83dls79 said:

wc22 said:

It is better than the previous system where all the Blue Bloods got to pay players (so long as it never made the papers) and the NCAA focused on trivial issues and punishing smaller teams.
Absolutely correct...If the non Blue Bloods come up with the cash the field may level a bit more.
WalterSobchak
Even making headlines wasn't always enough. Just had to be "in the club" so to speak. Auburn and UNC are prime examples.
Please give to Cal Legends at https://calegends.com/donation/ and encourage everyone you know who loves Cal sports to do it too.

To be in the Top 1% of all NIL collectives we only need around 3% of alumni to give $100/mo. OR 6% to give $50/mo. Please help spread the word. "If we don't broaden this base we're dead." - Sebastabear
calumnus
cal83dls79 said:

wc22 said:

It was regulated, it just was not enforced and regulated equally. Alabama was paying players, Cal was not.

Najee Harris signed with Alabama over Cal sight unseen, hated Tuscaloosa, fought with Saban over the way he was treated, was homesick for the Bay Area but stuck it out in Alabama "treating it like a job."

Now both Cal and Alabama are paying players. Saban retires and is a critic of the new landscape, but had no issues with the old system that made him immensely wealthy.
sluggo
calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

wc22 said:

It was regulated, it just was not enforced and regulated equally. Alabama was paying players, Cal was not.

Najee Harris signed with Alabama over Cal sight unseen, hated Tuscaloosa, fought with Saban over the way he was treated, was homesick for the Bay Area but stuck it out in Alabama "treating it like a job."

Now both Cal and Alabama are paying players. Saban retires and is a critic of the new landscape, but had no issues with the old system that made him immensely wealthy.
You beat me to the words. The old system was obscene. Whatever Saban is for I am against.
cal83dls79
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

wc22 said:

You beat me to the words. The old system was obscene. Whatever Saban is for I am against.

"It was regulated, it just was not enforced and regulated equally". What?? Sounds like a banana republic. And then you have the anti-Saban crowd…frankly most of what has been posted is shoot the messenger and not the message
calumnus
sluggo said:

calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

wc22 said:

His comments are incredibly self-serving and hypocritical, whether he is still making obscene $millions at Alabama or just retired, living off the obscene $millions he made at Alabama and waxing nostalgic for the system that gave him that wealth.
Gunga la Gunga
I pay far more attention to minor league baseball than to college baseball.

The NFL can drop the hammer whenever it decides to, IMO.
01Bear
calumnus said:

His comments are incredibly self-serving and hypocritical, whether he is still making obscene $millions at Alabama or just retired, living off the obscene $millions he made at Alabama and waxing nostalgic for the system that gave him that wealth.

He's a reflection of the South where they still wax nostalgic about the system that gave white plantation owners tremendous wealth at the expense of the slaves they exploited and glorify those who died to maintain that system.
bearister
Report: Potential No. 1 NFL Draft pick Caleb Williams made approximately $10 million in NIL deals at USC - Yahoo Sports

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-potential-no-1-nfl-draft-pick-caleb-williams-made-approximately-10-million-in-nil-deals-at-usc-164614055.html
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.