Hey Dodgers Fans

995,889 Views | 5504 Replies | Last: 13 days ago by Big C
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
chazzed;841915244 said:

Definitely a lot of baseball left.

Pennant run between the Giants and Dodgers is what we hope for.
chazzed
JollyBear;841914622 said:

Kinda like how the Dodgers have fallen down three times in a row in St. Louis?

Good thing the Dodgers are getting well on poor pitching this weekend.
GoBears58
A's are better than both these teams...:p
Golden One
Adrian The Cal Bear;841904132 said:

Vogelsong > Kershaw

That certainly seemed to be the case in June, but today Kershaw is having the better of Vogelsong. I'm a Giants fan, but unfortunately, the Giants just have too many people on their roster who are not legitimate big leaguers--Blanco, Christian, Belt, and Crawford for example. And with Sandoval on the DL again and, we just have too little "pop" in the lineup. We also lack a legitimate and reliable closer this season.
chazzed
Kershaw is back to dominating the Giants, no matter the stadium. :beer:

Poetic justice is a fun thing, and Adrian has been replaced by the sound of crickets.

Seriously, the Dodgers made a big statement about their resilience this weekend. The NL West will probably come down to the end.
BowDowntoWashington
Solid sweep by the Dodgers. Giants fans got a little too excited when the team swept the Dodgers last time without Kemp and Mark Ellis and with Juan Uribe playing 3B.

As the teams are currently constructed, I think the race will be close. The Giants have very good starting pitching and an excellent bullpen (I believe the lowest ERA in the NL).
GinFizzBear
BowDowntoWashington;841915750 said:

Solid sweep by the Dodgers. Giants fans got a little too excited when the team swept the Dodgers last time without Kemp and Mark Ellis and with Juan Uribe playing 3B.

As the teams are currently constructed, I think the race will be close. The Giants have very good starting pitching and an excellent bullpen (I believe the lowest ERA in the NL).

I was at Sunday's game. very tame crowd that mustered up a "beat LA" or 2, but really one that has been cowed by the weak sf giant offense. so glorious.

Kershaw is magnificent at SF telecom ballpark (0.66 ERA lifetime)
510Bear
Come on Giants. Don't let furd football become the only Bay Area team that's holding its own against L.A.
brj1
Not even that close right now.
sycasey
Well, that sucked. It's probably a good thing I didn't watch most of this series because of the Olympics. Also, a good thing we came into this one with a 3-game lead.
sycasey
Golden One;841915723 said:

I'm a Giants fan, but unfortunately, the Giants just have too many people on their roster who are not legitimate big leaguers--Blanco, Christian, Belt, and Crawford for example.

I think Belt is likely a legit big leaguer -- he's just young and still learning. Those other guys . . . yeah.

Still, this was like the flip of the previous series when the Dodgers had some guys hurt and the Giants were on a roll. This time the Giants were without the Panda and the Dodgers had just gotten Hanley Ramirez. After we lost that first game I could see the sweep coming.
1979bear
The A's don't even matter to their own fans, such as they are. San Francisco and the Bay area is Giants' territory. Oakland will never be more than just Oakland. GO DODGERS!!!
Cal_Fan2
1979bear;841915797 said:

The A's don't even matter to their own fans, such as they are. San Francisco and the Bay area is Giants' territory. Oakland will never be more than just Oakland. GO DODGERS!!!

The A's have more fans than you think but their ownership as of the last several years have not served them well....too bad too because the A's have won more World Series' since they move to Oakland in 1968 than the Giants and the Dodgers combined. Another reason they should be allowed to move to San Jose for better support....
soefeil
1979bear;841915797 said:

Ha, such a sorry statement all around. The A's mean the world to their fans. Don't come around here with that garbage about the Bay being Giants' territory, we all know it's not true. Just because the A's have an ownership that doesn't care about the team doesn't mean the fans feel the same way about the players.
liverflukes
:woohoo

brj1
I went to a game of the three, that got them rolling. The A's would still kick the Dodgers rear ends out of town now.
Golden One
I just became a Dodgers fan!
Adrian The Cal Bear
I'll give the Dodgers credit for dominating in this series. I'm out of the country so I wasn't able to catch any of the games.

But I will say this - difference between our teams is we don't make any excuses. You don't see Giants fans calling your sweep a fluke because Panda was out. We lost and have room for improvements. Congrats, but this will come down to the end.
BowDowntoWashington
Adrian The Cal Bear;841915824 said:

I'll give the Dodgers credit for dominating in this series. I'm out of the country so I wasn't able to catch any of the games.

But I will say this - difference between our teams is we don't make any excuses. You don't see Giants fans calling your sweep a fluke because Panda was out. We lost and have room for improvements. Congrats, but this will come down to the end.

sycasey;841915791 said:

I think Belt is likely a legit big leaguer -- he's just young and still learning. Those other guys . . . yeah.

Still, this was like the flip of the previous series when the Dodgers had some guys hurt and the Giants were on a roll. This time the Giants were without the Panda and the Dodgers had just gotten Hanley Ramirez. After we lost that first game I could see the sweep coming.

Sycasey - I'm not calling you. Just pointing out that both fan bases do you have legitimate excuses for being swept.

Adrian, you're digging yourself into a hole again. The Dodgers not having Kemp and Mark Ellis was significant. Sandoval isn't on Kemp's level but his presence in the lineup is obviously important for the Giants, as his replacement (now Scutaro) is a below average player.

The Giants have excellent pitching but they really need to trade for another hitter. They've gotten very poor production from 1B, 2B, SS. 2B and SS are probably the areas that I would look to upgrade.
Adrian The Cal Bear
BowDowntoWashington;841915851 said:

Sycasey - I'm not calling you. Just pointing out that both fan bases do you have legitimate excuses for being swept.

Adrian, you're digging yourself into a hole again. The Dodgers not having Kemp and Mark Ellis was significant. Sandoval isn't on Kemp's level but his presence in the lineup is obviously important for the Giants, as his replacement (now Scutaro) is a below average player.

The Giants have excellent pitching but they really need to trade for another hitter. They've gotten very poor production from 1B, 2B, SS. 2B and SS are probably the areas that I would look to upgrade.

You clearly dont follow the Giants well enough to understand the significance Panda has on the Giants. We are VERY weak both defensively and offensively on the infield. I mean dont get me wrong, Arias is a great backup at 3B but with BCrawford/Belt super inconsistent + Sanchez out on DL, we needed Panda to cover 1B since Posey can't, and Belt was in a slump. But w/o Panda, we have to play Belt.

Im not saying Panda is better than Kemp. Im not saying the Dodgers don't depend on Kemp. All I'm saying is, Panda is just as important to the Giants as Kemp is for the Dodgers with the way our team is built.

Difference is - you don't see me calling the Dodgers sweep a fluke. Giants fans show class in defeat.
Adrian The Cal Bear
P.S. Bow, Im going to visit UW tomorrow. Drove past it and thought it was really nice. Anything I should look out for on-campus? I want to check out the law school.
SoCalBear323
He who laughs most recent laughs the hardest...or something like that...Go L.A.!
sycasey

Well, the trade for Scutaro is an upgrade at those positions once Panda is back to man 3B.
Cal_Fan2

I don't think Scutaro is a below average player....he is a .271 career hitter and can play SS, 3B and 2B. He is not an All Star but everywhere he has played he has done an admirable job......He hasn't playerd 3B in several years so I'd cut him some slack but he was a very good 2B and utility guy for the A's, BoSox and Jays.
KoreAmBear
Adrian The Cal Bear;841915824 said:

LOL *sigh*. Classy as ever. If you don't understand that this post is not that classy (1st paragraph OK, 1st sentence of 2nd paragraph not so much - I don't know if you realize this, but boasting isn't the classiest thing in the world), I don't what to say. And I see your follow up post and you're getting further away. Here's a hint for what's classy -- point to something that is your fault or your own weakness, not point to others in a post no matter what they did. Did you see how NYCBear (forget his exact moniker), me and chazzed act kind of civil in our latest discourse? Believe me, I wanted to do come in here and do a "how you like me now" post. But that's probably not the road to take, esp. since baseball is a very humbling sport and it's a very long haul with team seasons changing shape all the time. We're all Bears so take is easy young man. You haven't suffered through Cal humility long enough as it appears. That has taught all of us. Most of us don't act douchey like $C and Oregon fans, as a result (and I hope we never do). Just my opinion.
goldenbear2005
ducky23;841904534 said:

I have an honest question for all of you Cal-dodgers-lakers fans out there. Do you find it kind of weird rooting for LA teams and Cal? The dodgers and Lakers (for better or worse) are SOOOO LA. And Cal is basically the antithesis of all things So-Cal. Honestly, I don't see how you can love both at the same time. Because to really, truly understand what it is to love Cal, you almost have to reject everything that so-cal represents. its like, how can you love telegraph and beach balls in the bleachers at the same time?

You're a freakin idiot.
StillNoStanfurdium
Adrian The Cal Bear;841915864 said:

P.S. Bow, Im going to visit UW tomorrow. Drove past it and thought it was really nice. Anything I should look out for on-campus? I want to check out the law school.

Sink Tosh's boat for us, will ya?
GinFizzBear
Golden One;841915821 said:

I just became a Dodgers fan!

Congrats! You'll have a lot of fun cheering for a franchise restoring a proud legacy. They are becoming the Yankees of the west under new ownership, and hopefully we'll forget about McCourt soon.

If you want to follow them more closely, I highly recommend the following blogs: trueblueLA, MikeScocia'sTragicIllness. Also, get the MLB package and at least subscribe to the audio feed (it's cheap) so you can hear Vin Scully. He calls the 1st 3 innings on the radio every home game, and then you can only hear him with the TV feed. With his age, he only travels to away games at Arizona now.

Again, welcome!
GinFizzBear
"Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky23
I have an honest question for all of you Cal-dodgers-lakers fans out there. Do you find it kind of weird rooting for LA teams and Cal? The dodgers and Lakers (for better or worse) are SOOOO LA. And Cal is basically the antithesis of all things So-Cal. Honestly, I don't see how you can love both at the same time. Because to really, truly understand what it is to love Cal, you almost have to reject everything that so-cal represents. its like, how can you love telegraph and beach balls in the bleachers at the same time?"

goldenbear2005;841915874 said:

You're a freakin idiot.

I am a Cal-Dodgers-Lakers fan and I agree with golden bear 2005. Ducky23 posted a bunch of provincial nonsense. What the hell are you talking about?
Tedhead03
GinFizzBear;841915995 said:

"Quote:
Originally Posted by ducky23
I have an honest question for all of you Cal-dodgers-lakers fans out there. Do you find it kind of weird rooting for LA teams and Cal? The dodgers and Lakers (for better or worse) are SOOOO LA. And Cal is basically the antithesis of all things So-Cal. Honestly, I don't see how you can love both at the same time. Because to really, truly understand what it is to love Cal, you almost have to reject everything that so-cal represents. its like, how can you love telegraph and beach balls in the bleachers at the same time?"

I am a Cal-Dodgers-Lakers fan and I agree with golden bear 2005. Ducky23 posted a bunch of provincial nonsense. What the hell are you talking about?

It's very simple. People who grew up in LA but attended Cal will tend to root for the Lakers, Dodgers, and Cal. Also, I don't think you can lump Dodgers fans in the same group at Lakers fans. Dodgers fans until the bottom fell out on McCourt, showed up 3 million strong to watch the Dodgers. Lakers fans had a meltdown because the Lakers missed the playoffs the year after the Shaq trade.

On a separate note, I was listening to Cowherd last week, and he was saying Lakers/Yankees fans are the best fans. His argument was that those fans do not tolerate losing. If the team loses, they stop showing up, and the team loses money. Therefore, management is constantly concerned about winning. On the flip side, you will have fans in certain regions that show up no matter what. What incentive do they really give its management to improve the team? Pretty valid point. You don't like the way things are run, vote with your wallet.
GinFizzBear
Tedhead03;841916023 said:

It's very simple. People who grew up in LA but attended Cal will tend to root for the Lakers, Dodgers, and Cal. Also, I don't think you can lump Dodgers fans in the same group at Lakers fans. Dodgers fans until the bottom fell out on McCourt, showed up 3 million strong to watch the Dodgers. Lakers fans had a meltdown because the Lakers missed the playoffs the year after the Shaq trade.

This is often true, and it is true for me. My "what the hell are you talking about" has to with some abstract "NoCal" v "SoCal" meme that bay area sports fans seem to be fond of repeating, while pointing to specific activities (beach balls) or places (telegraph ave) that for some reason should provide a basis for rooting for a sports team. Supposedly there is a big cultural divide between two tribal societies that exist at opposite ends of the state, and sports teams need to act as a proxy war between those cultures.

I've heard this ridiculous idea my whole life. maybe people like pro teams because they grew up in the same region as those pro teams, and people like college teams because they attended those colleges? Just a theory.
NYCGOBEARS
Dodgers played a great series. Period. Fans of the Giants/Dodgers follow the greatest rivalry in sports. Pennant races down to the wire between these teams are what true fans of both clubs dream of, albeit with different endings. I hope it comes down to the last day. That's when I want to hear Vin Scully announce "the Giants have won the pennant".
Bear Balls
Adrian The Cal Bear;841915864 said:

Sorry to hear your grades and/or LSATs are sub par.
tactiCAL
Adrian The Cal Bear;841904390 said:

:woohoo
Cal_Fan2
FingeroftheBear;841916737 said:

Looks like the NL West is in race to the end mode now...teams are trading for players. Philly is gutting their line-up. Giants get Pence, Dodgers get Victorino. (Rumors that the A's will sign Jimmy Rollins.)

I'd love to have Rollins back home but I think he may be to expensive per some reports....

Quote:

The A's have talked to the Phillies about Jimmy Rollins, but a deal to bring the shortstop back to his hometown is very unlikely, because the A's consider his salary too expensive.

Stephen Drew of the Diamondbacks and Yunel Escobar of the Blue Jays appear to be more likely possibilities for the surprising A's, who would like to give their offense a boost as they make an unlikely run at a playoff spot.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/danny-knobler/19690582/rollins-too-pricey-for-as-drew-yunel-more-likely-options
First Page Last Page
Page 5 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.