Hey Dodgers Fans

983,344 Views | 5496 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by MiZery
NYCGOBEARS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
moonpod;842152446 said:

HEY NOTHING wrong with store bought!

Hey, I like looking at em but basically I'm not too terribly impressed with a couple of things that I could have mounted on me of that were my inclination.
beelzebear
NYCGOBEARS;842152444 said:

Dodgers fans are always bragging about stuff they bought.

If you can afford it, why not.

BTW, here's a typical "sexy" Giants fan. Store bought?

moonpod
All I see is an empty square
NYCGOBEARS
moonpod;842152451 said:

All I see is an empty square

I thought that was on purpose.
bearister
beelzebear;842152450 said:

If you can afford it, why not.

BTW, here's a typical "sexy" Giants fan. Store bought?

His balls are about the right size by now.
NYCGOBEARS
bearister;842152456 said:

His balls are about the right size by now.

Excuse me?
GinFizzBear
GB54;842152314 said:

People who trade for Crawford, Gonzalez, Beckett and 260 million dollars in salary don't inspire fear-they inspire laughter

You're right, if you mean that it inspires laughing at posts like yours, or laughing with a 7-game lead (on August 14), or laughing that LA is the Vegas favorite to win the NL pennant. The Dodgers have a bottomless well of money, so whatever salary that you might think is high from your perspective -- $260 million, say -- is completely affordable to this financial juggernaut. (The payroll for 2013 is actually $279 million.)

if I may educate you: the Punto, Crawford and Gonzalez trade (affectionately referred to among Dodger fans as "the Punto Trade") was a hands-down outstanding one for LA. Unfortunately, Beckett may never pitch again due to medical issues, and that is beyond any team's control. If you are trying to name other extremely well-paid, talented and productive players, you might have included the likely rookie of the year Puig ($42 million over 7 years), an MVP candidate in Ramirez (if he had the requisite plate appearances), and a likely repeat Cy Young winner in Clayton Kershaw.

You can't buy a World Series, but money sure as hell can increase the likelihood of playoff appearances.
GinFizzBear
grandmastapoop;842151883 said:

Do I enjoy Dodger fans woofing about the standings on August 13, when the Giants have won 2 of the last 3 World Series? Why yes. Yes, I do.

Giants have won 2 of the last 58 World Series.
GB54
GinFizzBear;842152504 said:

You're right, if you mean that it inspires laughing at posts like yours, or laughing with a 7-game lead (on August 14), or laughing that LA is the Vegas favorite to win the NL pennant. The Dodgers have a bottomless well of money, so whatever salary that you might think is high from your perspective -- $260 million, say -- is completely affordable to this financial juggernaut. (The payroll for 2013 is actually $279 million.)

if I may educate you: the Punto, Crawford and Gonzalez trade (affectionately referred to among Dodger fans as "the Punto Trade") was a hands-down outstanding one for The Red Sox. Unfortunately, Beckett may never pitch again due to medical issues, and that is beyond any team's control. If you are trying to name other extremely well-paid, talented and productive players, you might have included the likely rookie of the year Puig ($42 million over 7 years), an MVP candidate in Ramirez (if he had the requisite plate appearances), and a likely repeat Cy Young winner in Clayton Kershaw.

You can't buy a World Series, but money sure as hell can increase the likelihood of playoff appearances.

Fixed it.
GMP
GinFizzBear;842152508 said:

Giants have won 2 of the last 58 World Series.

And god damn were they awesome (and recent).
sycasey
2ndTrumpetBear;842152396 said:

My point is that only Giants fans give a crap about what happened in 2012 and 2010. The rest of us are more concerned with what is going on today and tomorrow. But if holding on to your glory days makes you happy, then more power to you.

Give me a break. Every fan base celebrates past championships; it's part of the reason everyone wants their team to win one, so they can forever revel in the past glory days. A's fans still come in here and reminisce about their 70's three-peat, Dodger fans still love talking about their champions from the 60s and 80s, Yankee fans love to bring up the number of World Series wins they have, etc.

So yes, I will certainly be happy with the two titles the Giants have won recently, and given that one happened just last year I think it's pretty reasonable to still be happy about it.

Meanwhile, there is an awful lot of woofing going on in here about a team that hasn't won anything yet. The Dodgers are playing great right now, and maybe they are the favorite to win the pennant at this point, but being the Vegas favorite in August doesn't get you anything. They might be the next juggernaut because of the money they have to spend, but on the other hand we heard the same thing about the Yankees after they got A-Rod and about the Angels after they got Pujols, and it didn't happen. Baseball is weird; that's why you appreciate the championships you have when they happen, and nothing is a foregone conclusion.
GRRAAH
Yet ANOTHER incredible, heroic...but no longer improbable...come from behind Dodger victory!!:woohoo
chazzed
GRRAAH;842152555 said:

Yet ANOTHER incredible, heroic...but no longer improbable...come from behind Dodger victory!!:woohoo

Their hot streak is getting ridiculous, really. The Tigers started off the 1984 season in a similar manner.
GinFizzBear
GB54;842152509 said:

Fixed it.

It was actually good for both the Dodgers and Red Sox. The Red Sox got to unload salary, and LA exchanged a completely ineffective Loney (1B) for a huge upgrade in Gonzalez, a badly needed utiility SS in Punto (Ramirez would have 2 trips to the DL in 2013, and an unofficial 3rd one), and Crawford is a step towards the best OF in the NL. The Odgers released 4 prospects also. What's not to like.

As for the money, the Dodgers don't give a f*ck.
GinFizzBear
grandmastapoop;842152535 said:

And god damn were they awesome (and recent).

If you want to talk about what's recent, check the standings.
GinFizzBear
sycasey;842152540 said:

Give me a break. Every fan base celebrates past championships; it's part of the reason everyone wants their team to win one, so they can forever revel in the past glory days. A's fans still come in here and reminisce about their 70's three-peat, Dodger fans still love talking about their champions from the 60s and 80s, Yankee fans love to bring up the number of World Series wins they have, etc.

So yes, I will certainly be happy with the two titles the Giants have won recently, and given that one happened just last year I think it's pretty reasonable to still be happy about it.

Meanwhile, there is an awful lot of woofing going on in here about a team that hasn't won anything yet. The Dodgers are playing great right now, and maybe they are the favorite to win the pennant at this point, but being the Vegas favorite in August doesn't get you anything. They might be the next juggernaut because of the money they have to spend, but on the other hand we heard the same thing about the Yankees after they got A-Rod and about the Angels after they got Pujols, and it didn't happen. Baseball is weird; that's why you appreciate the championships you have when they happen, and nothing is a foregone conclusion.

So what, fans are only allowed to enjoy baseball after world series trophies are mounted in the trophy room? Screw that. How about living in the moment in addition to that? You can enjoy the 2010 and 2012 trophies for the rest of your life, you're right. But I'm not going to confine my enjoyment of baseball to the immediate post-season after a WS win, or remembering those wins at the exclusion of the process to get those trophies. Hopefully the Dodgers' run leads to World Series, but hey man, I can't help that it's only August. So yeah, I'm going to enjoy the 40-8 run that the Dodgers are on, and woof about it too. WOOF WOOF WOOF. Every one of you Giants fans falls back on the same "well now, things can fall apart at any time" mindset, probably because for you, they have.
GinFizzBear
chazzed;842152589 said:

Their hot streak is getting ridiculous, really. The Tigers started off the 1984 season in a similar manner.

At this point, the hot streak is comparable to that of the 1946 Cardinals.
Cal Panda Bear
GinFizzBear;842152681 said:

So what, fans are only allowed to enjoy baseball after world series trophies are mounted in the trophy room? Screw that. How about living in the moment in addition to that? You can enjoy the 2010 and 2012 trophies for the rest of your life, you're right. But I'm not going to confine my enjoyment of baseball to the immediate post-season after a WS win, or remembering those wins at the exclusion of the process to get those trophies. Hopefully the Dodgers' run leads to World Series, but hey man, I can't help that it's only August. So yeah, I'm going to enjoy the 40-8 run that the Dodgers are on, and woof about it too. WOOF WOOF WOOF. Every one of you Giants fans falls back on the same "well now, things can fall apart at any time" mindset, probably because for you, they have.

I cant wait to revisit this thread once the Doyers lose in the playoffs.

It's anybody's game during the playoffs. After all, we Giant fans know - we werent predicted to win ANY series in 2010 and 2012.
JerseyBear
Has there ever been a better baseball announcer than Vince Scully. You could say Bill King
but he saved his best for basketball, and I'd take Skully any way. Certainly not Silver or Susan Waldman, for the yankees, who deserve each other. Many like the senior bucks, who outclassed their lame son. I don't know, I could listen to Scully announce paint drying.
GinFizzBear
Cal Panda Bear;842152687 said:

I cant wait to revisit this thread once the Doyers lose in the playoffs.

It's anybody's game during the playoffs. After all, we Giant fans know - we werent predicted to win ANY series in 2010 and 2012.

Oh believe me, if the Dodgers lose in the playoffs, I am going down hard. All season, and even pre-season, I have pushing my whole collection of smack-talk chips onto the table.
sycasey
GinFizzBear;842152681 said:

I don't believe I ever said Dodger fans couldn't enjoy the current season and hot streak while it happens; I was only responding to your suggestion that Giant fans don't have anything to be happy about. We do, we have some very recent championships to be happy about.
GinFizzBear
JerseyBear;842152697 said:

Has there ever been a better baseball announcer than Vince Scully. You could say Bill King
but he saved his best for basketball, and I'd take Skully any way. Certainly not Silver or Susan Waldman, for the yankees, who deserve each other. Many like the senior bucks, who outclassed their lame son. I don't know, I could listen to Scully announce paint drying.

You could say the late Jack Buck is a peer. I never heard him, though.
GB54
GinFizzBear;842152665 said:

It was actually good for both the Dodgers and Red Sox. The Red Sox got to unload salary, and LA exchanged a completely ineffective Loney (1B) for a huge upgrade in Gonzalez, a badly needed utiility SS in Punto (Ramirez would have 2 trips to the DL in 2013, and an unofficial 3rd one), and Crawford is a step towards the best OF in the NL. The Odgers released 4 prospects also. What's not to like.

As for the money, the Dodgers don't give a f*ck.

The Red Sox dumped 260 million in salary paid to a guy who was all done three years ago (Beckett), a small market stiff (Crawford) and Gonzalez-a nice player -but grossly overpaid and overrated for an AL first baseman and a guy who is not suited to a place like Boston where they expected Manny or Ortiz numbers for that dough. With the money they signed a bunch of guys who are gamers, had enough money left over to take on and potentially sign Jake Peavy and have the second best record in baseball after finishing last in the AL east last year.

The Dodgers may not care about money but there is nothing to suggest that they are any better at spending it than the Mets or the Cubs.
bonsallbear
Panda is still sore about the Kershaw > Voglesong thing.
beelzebear
GB54;842152722 said:

The Dodgers may not care about money but there is nothing to suggest that they are any better at spending it than the Mets or the Cubs.

This suggests otherwise, best streak in a long while, and first place in the NL West. Defending World Champions Giants are only 17.5 back. :rollinglaugh:

sycasey
GB54;842152722 said:

Though if they truly have bottomless pockets then wasting this money will ultimately mean nothing to them. We'll see about that claim -- even the very richest teams still seem to reach their limit at some point.
Cal Panda Bear
bonsallbear;842152727 said:

Panda is still sore about the Kershaw > Voglesong thing.

Not really. Kershaw is good and better than Vogey, no doubt. But fact remains - Vogey 1 ring, Kershaw 0. Im sure Kershaw would trade all of his awards for a ring.
KoreAmBear
Cal Panda Bear;842152738 said:

Not really. Kershaw is good and better than Vogey, no doubt. But fact remains - Vogey 1 ring, Kershaw 0. Im sure Kershaw would trade all of his awards for a ring.

Not sure about that. You think Dan Marino and Charles Barkley would say I would love to have been preeminently mediocre in exchange for a ring? Charles would trade his life for Luc Longley's? Dan Marino's for a long snapper that has rings for the Patriots?
GB54
sycasey;842152735 said:

Though if they truly have bottomless pockets then wasting this money will ultimately mean nothing to them. We'll see about that claim -- even the very richest teams still seem to reach their limit at some point.

It's unavoidable with these multi year big contracts - the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels are examples
bonsallbear
Dodger fans - old and new - are happy their team is playing so well. It's not like it will last forever. A few injuries and they could relinquish the lead in a heartbeat. But after years of horrible ownership (Disney & McCourts), we have reason for hope. The fans are coming out to the park in big numbers. Last projection I saw was 4.4M for the year. Just going to enjoy it while it last.

BTW - Panda - you're a good sport.
chazzed
KoreAmBear;842152739 said:

Not sure about that. You think Dan Marino and Charles Barkley would say I would love to have been preeminently mediocre in exchange for a ring? Charles would trade his life for Luc Longley's? Dan Marino's for a long snapper that has rings for the Patriots?

Agree. Rings are great and all, but they are a reflection of a lot more than one person's skill. A ballplayer's legacy is assured if he is head and shoulders above the rest, not because he got a ring.
GB54
beelzebear;842152733 said:

This suggests otherwise, best streak in a long while, and first place in the NL West. Defending World Champions Giants are only 17.5 back. :rollinglaugh:

Impressive yes but at this point they are still the biggest midget in the NL West
beelzebear
GB54;842152789 said:

Impressive yes but at this point they are still the biggest midget in the NL West

...and the Giants are the smallest midget with the teeny tiny ding dong. At least the Dodgers are fun to watch now because they are on one heck of a streak.

A Brief Examination of the Los Angeles Dodgers' Record-Setting Hot Streak

Quote:

COMMENTARY | Just two months ago, the Los Angeles Dodgers' season looked all but lost. It wasn't quite give-up time, but I don't think even the biggest Dodgers homer (no, not me) saw this coming.

The team is 37-8 in its last 45 games (since June 22). That's an unprecedented mark. That simply doesn't happen in baseball. Not only that, but the team is undefeated in its last 15 series (11-0-4).
GinFizzBear
GB54;842152722 said:

The Red Sox dumped 260 million in salary paid to a guy who was all done three years ago (Beckett), a small market stiff (Crawford) and Gonzalez-a nice player -but grossly overpaid and overrated for an AL first baseman and a guy who is not suited to a place like Boston where they expected Manny or Ortiz numbers for that dough. With the money they signed a bunch of guys who are gamers, had enough money left over to take on and potentially sign Jake Peavy and have the second best record in baseball after finishing last in the AL east last year.

Your commentary is an impressive collection of internet-poster, radio-show-call-in guy labels like "overrated" and "stiff" and best of all, "gamers." What do those things even mean? You've been listening to too much Krukow. Are you going to tell me to "grab some pine, meat" next?

I'm not arguing that the trade was a good move for Boston. It was. Sometimes trades work out well for both parties; it's not a zero-sum game.

You probably don't follow the Dodgers closely enough to understand that Crawford and Gonzales were huge upgrades at their positions for LA, and that Punto represents some badly needed depth at the infield. Beckett, yeah that's an albatross. personally I wasn't crazy about Beckett getting included in the deal -- I agree he was on a big downward trajectory at the time of the trade -- but it was part of the package. His medical issues didn't surface till after he was a Dodger for a while. I heard he may never play again.

You really don't seem to understand the economics at play here. All of these guys are highly affordable to the Dodgers, so they aren't overpaid. I can't explain it in a simpler way than that for you, so I'll end it here.

Quote:

Except maybe performance on the field, the standings, etc. Wow. I don't remember your Cal comments being this bad.
GinFizzBear
GB54;842152789 said:

they're one of 6 teams in MLB with 70 wins as of today, August 15, so I wouldn't characterize them as a "midget." If they were say, a game over .500 and in first place, your comment would make some sense. Right now, it doesn't.
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 158

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.