OT - Selling My Equities

98,527 Views | 675 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rkt88edmo
Wags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Per Investor's Intelligence . . . Bullish Investment Advisor Sentiment is now over 60% with the number of Bears at only 16.5%

Things are getting pretty FROTHY!
:p
BearGoggles
dajo9;842778620 said:

These are interesting times in the capital markets. Over the past month in my 401k / IRA I have reduced my equity exposure from 80% to 20%, making the last big move today. Here are the main reasons why:
- Market sentiment is incredibly bullish
- Margin (borrowing to buy stocks) is around the highest levels ever
- Shorts on Treasuries are at incredibly high levels
- Valuations are at higher levels than any period except the dot-com bubble
- The rising dollar will hurt US exporters
- The rising dollar is wreaking havoc in some foreign countries, particularly China
- The US consumer will be hurt by the rise in interest rates (car purchases, home purchases, credit card purchases)
- Last but most importantly, the Fed is raising rates and reducing liquidity

I'm pretty confident in the move but I'm less confident in the timing. The market could continue to rise and my move into bonds could continue to hurt me (particularly with China selling US Treasuries in order to try to stop the decrease of the yuan) for many months. But I think over the next 6 months the market will have a sharp reversal and move back into safe bonds. Now I am positioned to profit off that move - if or when it happens.

One last note - my portfolio change in my taxable, non-retirement account is less dramatic because I don't want to trigger capital gains. I'm about 50/50 there.

Wags;842856134 said:

Per Investor's Intelligence . . . Bullish Investment Advisor Sentiment is now over 60% with the number of Bears at only 16.5%

Things are getting pretty FROTHY!
:p

Since Dajo9's original post, the Dow is up from 19,852.24 (Dec 15 2016 close) to 21,711.01 - up 9.3%. Glad I didn't sell when he did.
Strykur
BearGoggles;842856255 said:

Since Dajo9's original post, the Dow is up from 19,852.24 (Dec 15 2016 close) to 21,711.01 - up 9.3%. Glad I didn't sell when he did.

Also rates were not changed and earnings are good for domestic equities, so this will continue at least through the end of Q3.
burritos
Strykur;842856262 said:

Also rates were not changed and earnings are good for domestic equities, so this will continue at least through the end of Q3.

When rates go up does that generally strengthen or weaken the dollar? If it weakens it, then doesn't that mean more American sales abroad? Unless we get the promised trump trade war.
OdontoBear66

But do remember when you compare to the Dow or the S&P you must assume full investment. I can't imagine anyone fully (100%) in equities since Dec.15, 2016, unless they are under 30 years of age.

Now to beat that 9.3% if you are say 60% in equities is nice work. Maybe 60% of a combo of BA, CTWS, HON, CNI, TROW, SYK, JNJ, AMGN, ITW, GD, LMT----might work.
bencgilmore
burritos;842856025 said:

A latin american or emerging market fund?

I have a theory, bet where there is a lot of undeveloped land that theoretically will be warming and become more habitable. That's Russia and Canada. After you cross off Russia, there's Canada. Because of the oil slump, all of Canada is 20% off. Their population is less than California. Their total land size is greater than the US. Lot's of growth to be had. Honestly, if Apple wanted to use it's cash pile and buy large swaths of that country, it'd be a better move than buying Beats headphones.

Oh yeah, Canada and Russia are going to win big in the global warming sweepstakes
bencgilmore
burritos;842856025 said:

A latin american or emerging market fund?

I have a theory, bet where there is a lot of undeveloped land that theoretically will be warming and become more habitable. That's Russia and Canada. After you cross off Russia, there's Canada. Because of the oil slump, all of Canada is 20% off. Their population is less than California. Their total land size is greater than the US. Lot's of growth to be had. Honestly, if Apple wanted to use it's cash pile and buy large swaths of that country, it'd be a better move than buying Beats headphones.

There was one fund I found during my last blip of research, but for the life of me can't find it this AM.

TONs of stories about big fund interest though over the last month.

if I call scottrade, will they have any clue? I guess the only way to know is to try...
bencgilmore
examples:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2017/06/23/venezuelan-bonds-are-fabulous-investment-you-don-mind-starvation/qplQj6i5Rq2JXSXJgrGWHO/story.html

https://fronteranews.com/news/latam/investors-plow-money-into-venezuelan-bond-funds-despite-economic-chaos/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-a-46-return-bond-investors-go-to-venezuelaif-they-dare-1477220404

(most recent, bonds got a little cheaper because regime change became more likely) http://www.barrons.com/articles/buy-venezuela-bonds-as-regime-change-sanctions-risk-rises-1500939175
Cal89
End of the summer not far off, I look to lighten my long positions, or raise some cash. The fall months have historically presented opportunities... Some kind of action in response to North Korea seems to be in the balance about then too.

I like the idea of having multiple investment accounts. I currently have eleven, with eight that I can quickly view through one platform (ThinkorSwim) via a drop-down menu. Different objectives, time horizons, risk tolerances, tax implications, can vary across accounts: 401k, IRA, Roth IRA, Coverdell educational, 529 and individual brokerage...
Strykur
burritos;842856273 said:

When rates go up does that generally strengthen or weaken the dollar? If it weakens it, then doesn't that mean more American sales abroad? Unless we get the promised trump trade war.

Increased rates means costs to borrow go up and there less (capital) spending, flight to fixed income and out of equities, and more cash hoarding, so a tighter money supply means less available dollars = stronger dollar. On the flipside, low rates means cheap borrowing and lots of cash flying around = weaker dollar. But this minutiae only really matters if you are looking to invest abroad significantly, because repatriating that money can get you killed when exchanging it back. If I go international, it's growth stocks only in stable currencies.

OdontoBear66;842856301 said:

But do remember when you compare to the Dow or the S&P you must assume full investment. I can't imagine anyone fully (100%) in equities since Dec.15, 2016, unless they are under 30 years of age.

Now to beat that 9.3% if you are say 60% in equities is nice work. Maybe 60% of a combo of BA, CTWS, HON, CNI, TROW, SYK, JNJ, AMGN, ITW, GD, LMT----might work.

I am 95% equities and year-to-date am up 9.26%.
burritos
SadbutTrue999;842856419 said:

examples:
https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2017/06/23/venezuelan-bonds-are-fabulous-investment-you-don-mind-starvation/qplQj6i5Rq2JXSXJgrGWHO/story.html

https://fronteranews.com/news/latam/investors-plow-money-into-venezuelan-bond-funds-despite-economic-chaos/

https://www.wsj.com/articles/for-a-46-return-bond-investors-go-to-venezuelaif-they-dare-1477220404

(most recent, bonds got a little cheaper because regime change became more likely) http://www.barrons.com/articles/buy-venezuela-bonds-as-regime-change-sanctions-risk-rises-1500939175

Now you have my interest piqued.
dajo9

Well my Vanguard long term bond fund that I bought with the proceeds is up 7.6% in the same time period so. . . Asset inflation is a friend to us all.
OdontoBear66
Strykur;842856426 said:

Increased rates means costs to borrow go up and there less (capital) spending, flight to fixed income and out of equities, and more cash hoarding, so a tighter money supply means less available dollars = stronger dollar. On the flipside, low rates means cheap borrowing and lots of cash flying around = weaker dollar. But this minutiae only really matters if you are looking to invest abroad significantly, because repatriating that money can get you killed when exchanging it back. If I go international, it's growth stocks only in stable currencies.

I am 95% equities and year-to-date am up 9.26%.

Glad to see that...My allocation is a bit more conservative. Went from 68% at year's start to 50.5% now and is up 5.7% to date...Left some on the table, but found a comfort zone.
MT211
Appreciate this thread, all! Just read through all 25 pages and decided not to start a new thread because many of you sound like you're in the industry and know what the hell your talking about. I'm curious if anybody has any strong thoughts one way or another regarding the medical marijuana industry, especially the CBD (both research/development & distribution companies), as a long-term investment solution. Also, any thoughts on cannabis grow ops/grow-site real estate companies (both Canadian and US-traded) I know viable short-term returns are not realistic, but I feel this market will inevitably boom and its probably the last time in our lifetimes that we experience the development of a huge industry from the beginning like tech in the 80's. Would really appreciate hearing any insights and industry expertise from you guys.
burritos
MT211;842858420 said:

Appreciate this thread, all! Just read through all 25 pages and decided not to start a new thread because many of you sound like you're in the industry and know what the hell your talking about. I'm curious if anybody has any strong thoughts one way or another regarding the medical marijuana industry, especially the CBD (both research/development & distribution companies), as a long-term investment solution. Also, any thoughts on cannabis grow ops/grow-site real estate companies (both Canadian and US-traded) I know viable short-term returns are not realistic, but I feel this market will inevitably boom and its probably the last time in our lifetimes that we experience the development of a huge industry from the beginning like tech in the 80's. Would really appreciate hearing any insights and industry expertise from you guys.

HMMJ is the 1st MJ ETF.
https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/HMMJ.TO?ltr=1

Can't buy it unless you have access to the toronto exchange.
82gradDLSdad
MT211;842858420 said:

Nobody knows. Put your money in globally diversified index funds.
burritos
82gradDLSdad;842858506 said:

Nobody knows. Put your money in globally diversified index funds.

Personal biases aside, if you had to submit an opinion on whether the MJ industry as a sector was going to make money year 1,5,10,20 what would it be. I think 10k invested for a newborn might pay for a semester college when it was time. Maybe more.
GB54
The big money's already been made-illegally. Was alcohol the next great boom after prohibition?
dajo9
I have a doctor friend who is trying to get in on the ground floor of New Jersey maryjane laws opening up after a Democrat replaces Christie this year. Problem he is having is that everything is so political in New Jersey. There will probably be about 10 licenses and they will go to the connected.
82gradDLSdad
burritos;842858562 said:

Personal biases aside, if you had to submit an opinion on whether the MJ industry as a sector was going to make money year 1,5,10,20 what would it be. I think 10k invested for a newborn might pay for a semester college when it was time. Maybe more.

How many of these $10k bets are you willing to make? In Snap? In Twitter? In GoPro? My $10k bet would be that if you only pick one of these 'next big things' you'll lose. But I have no idea and neither does anyone else.
prospeCt
GB54;842858568 said:

The big money

raw hempmilk & coconut water green tea chai Kombucha, "mark it to market", & the great Chi Pants revival. Bank, move to Iceland
GB54
prospeCt;842858592 said:

raw hempmilk & coconut water green tea chai Kombucha, "mark it to market", & the great Chi Pants revival. Bank, move to Iceland

Acai, the magical berry from the Amazon. Cures inflammation, erectile dysfunction and the malaise of 21st century life. I cashed out before it hit Walmart.
burritos
82gradDLSdad;842858577 said:

How many of these $10k bets are you willing to make? In Snap? In Twitter? In GoPro? My $10k bet would be that if you only pick one of these 'next big things' you'll lose. But I have no idea and neither does anyone else.

Is 10 too many? I suppose you're right. I'm down on Twitter bigly.:mad: Didn't do the other two. How does GoPro not just get devoured by chinese rip offs?
burritos
dajo9;842853524 said:

I don't think betting on chaos in a Trump Presidency is the same as betting on a random event

It's happening. Well at least in the twitterverse. I'd be surprised if any generals actually obeyed any orders by dementia in chief.
Strykur
burritos;842860196 said:

It's happening. Well at least in the twitterverse. I'd be surprised if any generals actually obeyed any orders by dementia in chief.

They have to obey his every order, or resign. Not happening.
dajo9
Strykur;842860255 said:

They have to obey his every order, or resign. Not happening.

They are legally not allowed to follow an illegal order. They can refuse to carry out a legal order and Trump can fire them.
kaplanfx
MT211;842858420 said:

Obviously cannabis will be a big win IF it can pass regulatory hurdles. Given the current political climate I wouldn't take a risk. I don't think you will lose much in the long term if you wait until/if regulatory hurdles are jumped. Just remember the fact that it's an already in demand product doesn't mean any individual business will succeed, there will be winners and losers even in the industry so when the time comes make sure you diversify.

-kap
Wags
Strykur;842856262 said:

The 1st two quarters of this year had easy beats Year over Year, after the earnings recession bottomed in 2016.
Q3-2017 YoY will be much tougher.
Wags
FYI....

Historically, September is the weakest month of the year for equities and August isn't that great either.
The debt-ceiling increase is gonna rear its ugly head as soon as Congress returns from Summer recess.

With Trump having already started to throw Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell under the bus, it's not a guarantee that Congress will automatically raise the ceiling.

Shades of the Govt. Shutdown in 2013 loom.
Its not a bad time to raise some cash.
Strykur
Wags;842860469 said:

With Trump having already started to throw Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell under the bus, it's not a guarantee that Congress will automatically raise the ceiling.

Shades of the Govt. Shutdown in 2013 loom.
Its not a bad time to raise some cash.

Why would the Trump-McConnell feud kill a debt ceiling increase? Trump and the GOP have way too much to lose otherwise. McConnell does deserve to get slammed after the healthcare debacle.
Wags
Strykur;842860472 said:

Why would the Trump-McConnell feud kill a debt ceiling increase? Trump and the GOP have way too much to lose otherwise. McConnell does deserve to get slammed after the healthcare debacle.

History has a way of repeating itself.
Can you say Tea Party? Can you say House Freedom Caucus?
Stay tuned.

http://www.businessinsider.com/debt-ceiling-trump-mint-coin-2017-5

FWIW, Trump has shown a clear disdain (and lack of interest) for getting involved with the democratic process and Congress.
He sees himself as a great "dealmaker"... but the fact of the matter is that Congress negotiates deals based on ideology, and not PRICE.
His idea of "governing" is tweeting. That's not how you get your Agenda thru Congress, nor with your Senate Majority Leader.

PS. Not to divert the thread off-topic, but it is interesting to note that one of the few things that Trump has accomplished in 7 months is get Neil Gorsuch appointed to the Supreme Court. That doesn't happen without Mitch McConnell.
OdontoBear66
Wags;842860490 said:

History has a way of repeating itself.
Can you say Tea Party? Can you say House Freedom Caucus?
Stay tuned.

http://www.businessinsider.com/debt-ceiling-trump-mint-coin-2017-5

FWIW, Trump has shown a clear disdain (and lack of interest) for getting involved with the democratic process and Congress.
He sees himself as a great "dealmaker"... but the fact of the matter is that Congress negotiates deals based on ideology, and not PRICE.
His idea of "governing" is tweeting. That's not how you get your Agenda thru Congress, nor with your Senate Majority Leader.

PS. Not to divert the thread off-topic, but it is interesting to note that one of the few things that Trump has accomplished in 7 months is get Neil Gorsuch appointed to the Supreme Court. That doesn't happen without Mitch McConnell.

To believe this is exactly what your opposition hopes for. He has done nothing. Think regulation reductions, lack of immigration stasis (matter of fact reversal without any wall), stand up to Oddjobs in NoKo, Syria, Iran with more than a pink line that fades, some judicial appointments, pipeline implementation. That's not all, but some. And all that with being a jerk.
burritos
How about paying down personal or investment mortgage debt? (3.25-5.25% return tax free isn't horrible is it?). Is this ever a viable long term investment strategy(as part of your basket of investments), or is just fear mitigation?
82gradDLSdad
burritos;842860520 said:

How about paying down personal or investment mortgage debt? (3.25-5.25% return tax free isn't horrible is it?). Is this ever a viable long term investment strategy(as part of your basket of investments), or is just fear mitigation?

Most investment 'experts' don't like paying down a low rate mortgage but that is exactly what I did in 2011 with some inheritance. I probably would have made more investing the money but the peace of mind I got not having a mortgage, especially when being laid off, is worth a lot. Do what makes you feel better in this regard and don't let experts sway you.
dajo9
OdontoBear66;842860512 said:

To believe this is exactly what your opposition hopes for. He has done nothing. Think regulation reductions, lack of immigration stasis (matter of fact reversal without any wall), stand up to Oddjobs in NoKo, Syria, Iran with more than a pink line that fades, some judicial appointments, pipeline implementation. That's not all, but some. And all that with being a jerk.

Meanwhile, in the real world, Assad has won his war in Syria with Russian help and Trump's deference, nothing has changed in regards to Iran, and Trump has managed to make himself appear the equal of Kim Jong Un in terms of dangerous rhetoric and threats he can't back up.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.