OT - Selling My Equities

98,935 Views | 675 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rkt88edmo
burritos
How long do you want to ignore this user?
OdontoBear66;842851695 said:

There are absolutely excellent articles for buy and hold and you can do it at the level of risk vs. performance of your choosing----100/0 (bonds to equities), 90/10, 80/20, 70/30,,,,,,all the way to 0/100. Each level gives an increase of close to 0.5% increase in performance, but of course the level of risk and potential downside also increases. Pick you poison. As I posted before see paulmerriman.com for very informative tables of same.

Thanks for the link. IOW, be disciplined, have a diversified allocation, and reallocate infrequently. Doing this will allow you to benefit from the arbitrage(opportunity as money people call it) that arises from the tides/vagaries of human emotion.

Any guesses to what happens when human emotion is taken out of the equation? Imagine if everyone in the world stashes aside 25% of their income and enrolls in a robot paulmerriman mgmt computer program with .01% fee? Will we all become millionaires next door? Without any leaps of technology(space travel etc...) I think the market may deflate. Thank goodness for human emotion though.
AirOski
sp4149;842778696 said:

Inflation has been much higher for selected portions of our population, but ignored by politicians unwilling to treat all Americans equitably.

While my health the last 5 years has been good and doctor visits are way down, my health insurance premiums are double what they were 5 years ago and continue to go up (noting to do with ACA). Vision and dental insurance benefits have been reduced each year, annual eye exams at my local ophthalmologist are no longer free. Bills for dental services have doubled.

Hey, if you're retired why haven't you signed up for Medicare, such as an advantage plan? Which includes limited dental and vision on a limited basis. My health care costs have slowly increased, but not by the rate of increase you mention.
AirOski
You can't let your hate for the president cloud your personal investment decisions. And your view of the world economies. I never look at tax proposals in
Congress till they become law, and I am forced to deal with them when they have become a reality. P.S. Illinois residents just got hit by a 32 percent increase in personal income taxes to help the state cope with profligate spending on the past few decades. That was in the new state budget. I wouldn't blame Trump or the GOP for that mess.
burritos
AirOski;842851939 said:

You can't let your hate for the president cloud your personal investment decisions. And your view of the world economies. I never look at tax proposals in
Congress till they become law, and I am forced to deal with them when they have become a reality. P.S. Illinois residents just got hit by a 32 percent increase in personal income taxes to help the state cope with profligate spending on the past few decades. That was in the new state budget. I wouldn't blame Trump or the GOP for that mess.

I think Trump being president for the next eight years will result in a buying opportunity of a lifetime. Hopefully I make it to retirement. Since that's 20 year plus for me still, I'll continue to invest throughout the storm. Plus taxes being cut will give me even more capital to buy when it gets turbulent. It worked well during dubya. I think this will be the same on steroids.
OdontoBear66
burritos;842851963 said:

I think Trump being president for the next eight years will result in a buying opportunity of a lifetime. Hopefully I make it to retirement. Since that's 20 year plus for me still, I'll continue to invest throughout the storm. Plus taxes being cut will give me even more capital to buy when it gets turbulent. It worked well during dubya. I think this will be the same on steroids.

I think you are probably right. If you have 20 or 20+ years to retirement, look to tables of all the 20 year periods going back in time---what is the max gain, ave. gain, biggest drawdown, how would $$$ invested 20 years ago be doing today in various allocations (bonds/stocks), and I think you will find that if you can tolerate periods of short term pain you would be well served to be very top heavy in stocks, not because of current market conditions, but because of the time factor you have to build and what historically that time period has produced. For instance, a twenty year old should be 100% in stocks as there has never ever been a 45 year period in the market where it has been down. A 70 year old not so, and that would relate to risk tolerance as to where to be positioned. Most would say 50/50. When you look at the tables and factor what you consider your risk tolerance is, you can find yourself in the data. Sure a lot better than guessing at market tops and bottoms. Make your personal portfolio like the house in Vegas....You don't have to win all the time, but have the smarts to win more than you lose.
Sonofoski
Dajo9,

This has proven to be a very, very poor decision on your part; 20% in equities.

Some are predicting the earnings of the S&P 500 in 2018 will be in the $140-145 range. Just taking the historical 17.5-18.0 price earnings ratio, the S & P Index could rise to 2,600.00

Your 20% in equities is not going to make much money for you. I recommend you look into the Parnassus Endeavor Fund PARWX; it's run by a CAL grad and it's done spectacularly over the past 10 years.
burritos
Sonofoski;842853384 said:

Dajo9,

Some are predicting the earnings of the S&P 500 in 2018 will be in the $140-145 range. Just taking the historical 17.5-18.0 price earnings ratio, the S & P Index could rise to 2,600.00

Your 20% in equities is not going to make much money for you. I recommend you look into the Parnassus Endeavor Fund PARWX; it's run by a CAL grad and it's done spectacularly over the past 10 years.

When Trump does a pre emptive strike on NoKo. Those positioned for the drop will look very smart.
82gradDLSdad
burritos;842853517 said:

When Trump does a pre emptive strike on NoKo. Those positioned for the drop will look very smart.

They'll look lucky to me. And then they'll have to get lucky again on when to get back in. It's a tough way to invest your life savings. Pick an asset allocation you can live with and then rebalance on some schedule.
dajo9
Sonofoski;842853384 said:

Dajo9,

S&P 500 earnings are typically overestimated by 10% one year in advance.

https://insight.factset.com/2013/1/earningsinsight_1.4.13

Bringing your estimate down 10% gives us an S&P 500 at 2,313 which is 5% below current market valuation.

Look, I'm not saying I'm happy with the performance of my decision. I am positive on my bond investments and I just don't see a reason to buy into this market and this economy at the current time. I view my current portfolio as derisked in a high market with an economy that is showing a lot of weak spots. Half of earnings growth in Q2 2017 came from the oil industry which grew at 400%.
dajo9
82gradDLSdad;842853521 said:

They'll look lucky to me. And then they'll have to get lucky again on when to get back in. It's a tough way to invest your life savings. Pick an asset allocation you can live with and then rebalance on some schedule.

I don't think betting on chaos in a Trump Presidency is the same as betting on a random event
Phantomfan
burritos;842853517 said:

Banking on a nuclear war to make you look smart is a bad bet.
82gradDLSdad
dajo9;842853524 said:

I don't think betting on chaos in a Trump Presidency is the same as betting on a random event

I don't think of investing in a growing world economy in my lifetime as betting.
dajo9
82gradDLSdad;842853543 said:

I don't think investing in a growing world economy in my lifetime as betting.

Nobody is suggesting you should change what you are doing
82gradDLSdad
dajo9;842853544 said:

Nobody is suggesting you change what you are doing

I thought I was just voicing my opinion. I know no one is trying to get me to change what I'm doing. And I'm not trying to get you to change. I found the site you linked interesting, btw
dajo9
82gradDLSdad;842853545 said:

I thought I was just voicing my opinion. I know no one is trying to get me to change what I'm doing. And I'm not trying to get you to change. I found the site you linked interesting, btw

all good
OdontoBear66
dajo9;842853523 said:

Bringing your estimate down 10% gives us an S&P 500 at 2,313 which is 5% below current market valuation.

Look, I'm not saying I'm happy with the performance of my decision. I am positive on my bond investments and I just don't see a reason to buy into this market and this economy at the current time. I view my current portfolio as derisked in a high market with an economy that is showing a lot of weak spots. Half of earnings growth in Q2 2017 came from the oil industry which grew at 400%.

+ Many. You have given up some profit, but still realized profit on the 20% versus maybe 60-70% equities. There is nothing wrong with that as you have bought comfort. You still participate in profits, just less so. Nothing wrong with that strategy. I can't imagine anyone taking a sober look at the markets right now not thinking that the upside is a bit dimmer than the downside. It may not be so as it turns out, but appearances are so.
goldenokiebear
dajo9;842853523 said:

And it may take only one calamity in this Administration, which I think is more likely than not, to send us into a very quick downturn and everyone will think you are very wise in your decision.
Strykur
goldenokiebear;842853562 said:

And it may take only one calamity in this Administration, which I think is more likely than not, to send us into a very quick downturn and everyone will think you are very wise in your decision.

Which is probably not happening.
FCBear
burritos;842853517 said:

Then I will buy everything on sale
Strykur
FCBear;842853676 said:

Then I will buy everything on sale

Yeah, the real suckers are the people waiting for a market dosedive just to validate their earlier decisions to pull out entirely. And they will compound this decision by not buying the low.
Sonofoski
Dajo9,

What's more likely to happen, we nuke NKorea or the Trump administration brings back all the overseas corporate earnings at a one time low tax rate and lowers the ongoing tax rate for corporations to 15%?

Early in 2016, most financial experts were predicting S&P earnings at $128 for 2017 and later to $130. It appears now the $130 will be closer to $137. It's this kind of optimism that is pushing this market to achieve it's highs.

The last major buying opportunity in this market occurred in February 2016 when the S&P was at 1,829.

I think everyone has to make their investment decisions based on their risk tolerance at a particular stage in their life, their view of the economy and a deciding if the market has run ahead of itself making the risk-reward factor more of a risk. After all, in 2000, the S&P was selling for 30 times earnings, far from it's historical average of 16-18 times earnings. To be honest, I was out of the market in 2000 and didn't get back in until 2003.

I don't know, but my sense is that some are making investment decisions based on their disdain for the Trump administration rather than looking objectively at what is going on in the economy.

I think we can use a 5 to 8 percent correction in this market sometime this year, 8% dropping the S&P from it's all time high of 2,454 to 2,258. I would see that as a buying opportunity.
dajo9
Sonofoski;842853750 said:

Dajo9,

What's more likely to happen, we nuke NKorea or the Trump administration brings back all the overseas corporate earnings at a one time low tax rate and lowers the ongoing tax rate for corporations to 15%?

Early in 2016, most financial experts were predicting S&P earnings at $128 for 2017 and later to $130. It appears now the $130 will be closer to $137. It's this kind of optimism that is pushing this market to achieve it's highs.

The last major buying opportunity in this market occurred in February 2016 when the S&P was at 1,829.

I think everyone has to make their investment decisions based on their risk tolerance at a particular stage in their life, their view of the economy and a deciding if the market has run ahead of itself making the risk-reward factor more of a risk. After all, in 2000, the S&P was selling for 30 times earnings, far from it's historical average of 16-18 times earnings. To be honest, I was out of the market in 2000 and didn't get back in until 2003.

I don't know, but my sense is that some are making investment decisions based on their disdain for the Trump administration rather than looking objectively at what is going on in the economy.

I think we can use a 5 to 8 percent correction in this market sometime this year, 8% dropping the S&P from it's all time high of 2,454 to 2,258. I would see that as a buying opportunity.

The North Korea thing wasn't my point and is not guiding my portfolio. Trump chaos is a part of the mosaic but what I am more interested in is things like two consecutive months of negative retail sales growth (that includes online).

I also don't think the corporate tax cut is such a benefit to S&P 500 (large cap companies). Most large companies don't pay anywhere near 35%. Many large companies will face substantial write-off's from losing value on their NOL's.

The one thing that could strengthen the economy in my view, and I've said it from the beginning, is real infrastructure spending. I don't think we have a Congress that will go along with that.

In regards to making investment decisions based on Trump, I have thought long and hard about that. I agree with you that is at play some. I think it affected the timing of my call. I should have waited. But as I see it today, and trying to mentally account for the Trump revulsion I have, I don't think I want to buy into the market at the current time. GDP growth is going to be pretty abysmal in the near term.
burritos
My former financial advisor was a SC alum. Not a jerk like the stereotype perpetuated on this board. Nice guy. I suppose he had to be to my face. The ironic thing is I talked more football with him than I did finances. The reverse here is the case.
Wags
wifeisafurd;842846743 said:

My guess is the FED actually thought that it was going to have to put the brakes on rampant money supply growth from a huge tax cut and infrastructure plan. The particularly of the tax cut and the infrastructure plan were not as generous as described, and neither seem to be making headway in Congress (everyone else can debate the reasons), or will ever be implemented. Given that, I'm not understanding the FED's actions, and concur wholeheartedly with the comment above.

Just some thoughts...

A.) For budgetary reasons, ObamaCare must be repealed/replaced in order for Tax Reform to take place.

B.) Tax reform obviously got pushed out into 2018... which happens to be a mid-term election year when virtually nothing gets done.

C.) Corporate tax reform may only be just a cut from 35% to 28% since the GOP failed to successfully deal with ObamaCare.

D.) The debt-ceiling increase needs to be addressed ASAP, otherwise Mr. Market isn't going to like a Govt. that is closed down again like in 2013. The Cry Uncle date is in mid-October... and Congress isn't in session for many days once they return from their annual August recess.

E.) The Fed wants to "normalize" Fed Funds and interest rates ASAP.
The problem has been that the rate of inflation has fallen back below their 2% bogey.

F.) Wage growth has been soft (which is surprising at this point in the cycle), which has lead to diminished inflationary expectations.

G.) Janet Yellen is anticipating that inflation will head back over 2% as soon as some data come off a 12-month moving average. Watching this closely.

H.) The Fed will not only be refraining from re-investing money from matured bonds, but will also begin to sell of Treasuries and Mortgages in the Fall to normalize. This should put pressure on bond prices, sending yields higher. Usually not good for stocks.

I.) At the end of the day, stocks are valued vs bond yields.
The Equity Risk Premium has narrowed to the lowest expected return since Nov. 2007.

5.62 - 2.37% (bond yield) = 3.23

J.) The earnings recession ended one year ago.
Q1 and Q2 of this year had an "easy" earnings beat for the S&P.
Q3 and Q4 will offer much more difficult Year over Year comparisons.

K.) It was reported in the WSJ this week that BlackRock (the massive Fund machine) took in $74 Billion into its iShares ETF business in Q2. The iShare unit of BlackRock is now up to $1.5 Trillion in assets. ETF's now account for 27% of BlackRock's total assets under management of $5.7 trillion. In other words, the whole world is invested in ETF's. As a younger Cal alum/buy-side analyst said to me recently, "This isn't going to end well."

L.) S&P 500 earnings for Q2 are expected to be roughly 8%, driven by a rebound in energy company's who got hit hard a year ago with lower crude prices. Q1 earnings growth hit its highest level since 2011.

M.) JPM/Chase CEO Jamie Dimon made some blistering comments the other day during their Q2 earnings call on how screwed up this country (and Congress and the Administration) is from a red-tape, bureaucratic nightmare point of view. He's clearly worried about the grid-lock in DC that has hamstrung the U.S. economy. In fact, his remarks were quoted in the WSJ the other day, and its the first time that I have ever read the phrase "stupid $hit" in the WSJ. Yup, they actually quoted Jamie using the "S" word that ends with a "t".

Nowhere is this more apparent than in LOAN GROWTH. In fact, loan growth at Citicorp was 7% for all of last year and in Q2 of this year, it only came in at 4%. - - - If you look at auto loans, business loans, real estate loans, consumer debt, and the growth of the money supply since the Election, every single one of those categories has been declining.. The only question is whether or not this is a "pause" during the economic cycle, or if this is the beginning of something more significant.

N.) Seasonally speaking, the months of August, September and October have never been kind to the stock market.

Major corrections usually occur in this time period, which then gives rise to the 3 best months of the year: November, December, and January. In fact, over 90% of the gains in the Dow Jones since 1950 have occurred in the period from Nov - April.
Hence the adage, "Sell in May and Go Away".
burritos
Wags;842854667 said:

Just some thoughts...

A.) For budgetary reasons, ObamaCare must be repealed/replaced in order for Tax Reform to take place.

B.) Tax reform obviously got pushed out into 2018... which happens to be a mid-term election year when virtually nothing gets done.

C.) Corporate tax reform may only be just a cut from 35% to 28% since the GOP failed to successfully deal with ObamaCare.

D.) The debt-ceiling increase needs to be addressed ASAP, otherwise Mr. Market isn't going to like a Govt. that is closed down again like in 2013. The Cry Uncle date is in mid-October... and Congress isn't in session for many days once they return from their annual August recess.

E.) The Fed wants to "normalize" Fed Funds and interest rates ASAP.
The problem has been that the rate of inflation has fallen back below their 2% bogey.

F.) Wage growth has been soft (which is surprising at this point in the cycle), which has lead to diminished inflationary expectations.

G.) Janet Yellen is anticipating that inflation will head back over 2% as soon as some data come off a 12-month moving average. Watching this closely.

H.) The Fed will not only be refraining from re-investing money from matured bonds, but will also begin to sell of Treasuries and Mortgages in the Fall to normalize. This should put pressure on bond prices, sending yields higher. Usually not good for stocks.

I.) At the end of the day, stocks are valued vs bond yields.
The Equity Risk Premium has narrowed to the lowest expected return since Nov. 2007.

5.62 - 2.37% (bond yield) = 3.23

J.) The earnings recession ended one year ago.
Q1 and Q2 of this year had an "easy" earnings beat for the S&P.
Q3 and Q4 will offer much more difficult Year over Year comparisons.

K.) It was reported in the WSJ this week that BlackRock (the massive Fund machine) took in $74 Billion into its iShares ETF business in Q2. The iShare unit of BlackRock is now up to $1.5 Trillion in assets. ETF's now account for 27% of BlackRock's total assets under management of $5.7 trillion. In other words, the whole world is invested in ETF's. As a younger Cal alum/buy-side analyst said to me recently, "This isn't going to end well."

L.) S&P 500 earnings for Q2 are expected to be roughly 8%, driven by a rebound in energy company's who got hit hard a year ago with lower crude prices. Q1 earnings growth hit its highest level since 2011.

M.) Citicorp's Jamie Diamon gave a blistering interview the other day on how screwed up this country (and Congress and the Administration) is from a red-tape, bureaucratic nightmare point of view. He's clearly worried about the grid-lock in DC that has hamstrung the U.S. economy. In fact, his remarks were quoted in the WSJ the other day, and its the first time that I have ever read the phrase "stupid $hit" in the WSJ. Yup, they actually quoted Jamie using the "S" word that ends with a "t".

Nowhere is this more apparent than in LOAN GROWTH. In fact, loan growth at Citicorp was 7% for all of last year and in Q2 of this year, it only came in at 4%. - - - If you look at auto loans, business loans, real estate loans, consumer debt, and the growth of the money supply since the Election, every single one of those categories has been declining.. The only question is whether or not this is a "pause" during the economic cycle, or if this is the beginning of something more significant.

N.) Seasonally speaking, the months of August, September and October have never been kind to the stock market.

Major corrections usually occur in this time period, which then gives rise to the 3 best months of the year: November, December, and January. In fact, over 90% of the gains in the Dow Jones since 1950 have occurred in the period from Nov - April.
Hence the adage, "Sell in May and Go Away".

Not trying to be snide or anything, but is Dimon smarter than Buffett? Cause Buffett is buying. He's even buying airlines. I mean WTF?:
https://www.dallasnews.com/business/airlines/2017/05/15/warren-buffett-buys-stock-american-southwest-airlines. As a BRKB(wish I could afford A shares) shareholder, I have to wonder, there isn't better stuff to buy?
Wags
burritos;842854675 said:

Not trying to be snide or anything, but is Dimon smarter than Buffett? Cause Buffett is buying. He's even buying airlines. I mean WTF?: As a BRKB(wish I could afford A shares) shareholder, I have to wonder, there isn't better stuff to buy?

Dimon is obviously talking about our Economy that is being hamstrung by idiots in DC.
Loan growth has been collapsing since the election.

I think he's pretty good at knowing what makes the economy "tick".
He gets to "see" everything and his timing is pretty good as well.

(FWIW: BRKB bought $9 Billion of Airline stocks late LAST year and Berkshire is managed by Todd Combs and Ted Weschler)

https://www.gurufocus.com/StockBuy.php?GuruName=Warren+Buffett

And in case you aren't aware of Dimon's track record, he bought 500,000 shares of JP Morgan stock with $26.6 million of his own money (the sum of his entire compensation package for 2015) on February 11th of 2016 around $53 a share at a 2-year low.

Since that time, shares of JPM have rallied 77% to a high of $94.50 earlier this month.
burritos
Wags;842854680 said:

Dimon is obviously talking about our Economy that is being hamstrung by idiots in DC.

I think he's pretty good at knowing what makes it "tick".
His timing is pretty good as well.

(Buffett bought $9 Billion of Airline stocks in Q4 of last year)

And in case you aren't aware of Dimon's track record, he bought 500,000 shares of JP Morgan stock with $26.6 million of his own money (the sum of his entire compensation package for 2015) on February 11th of 2016 around $53 a share at a 2-year low.

Since that time, shares of JPM have rallied 77% to a high of $94.50 earlier this month.

Wow sounds like a very smart guy. Thanks for passing on that insight.
Wags
burritos;842854685 said:

Wow sounds like a very smart guy. Thanks for passing on that insight.

Here is his quote from JPM's 2nd quarter conference call the other day that appeared in the WSJ:

“We have become one of the most bureaucratic, confusing, litigious societies on the planet. It’s almost an embarrassment being an American citizen traveling around the world and listening to the stupid sh*t we have to deal with in this country. And at one point we all have to get our act together or we won’t do what we’re supposed to [do] for the average Americans. And unfortunately people write about this saying like it’s for corporations. It’s not for corporations. Competitive taxes are important for business and business growth, which is important for jobs and wage growth. And honestly, we should be ringing that alarm bell, every single one of you, every time you talk to a client.”
burritos
Wags;842854687 said:

Here is his quote from JPM's 2nd quarter conference call the other day that appeared in the WSJ:

“We have become one of the most bureaucratic, confusing, litigious societies on the planet. It’s almost an embarrassment being an American citizen traveling around the world and listening to the stupid sh*t we have to deal with in this country. And at one point we all have to get our act together or we won’t do what we’re supposed to [do] for the average Americans. And unfortunately people write about this saying like it’s for corporations. It’s not for corporations. Competitive taxes are important for business and business growth, which is important for jobs and wage growth. And honestly, we should be ringing that alarm bell, every single one of you, every time you talk to a client.”

I've never heard that from Dimon but I agree with this point 100%. Except the alarm part. Someone is always wanting to ring the alarm. But that being said...
bencgilmore
practical question... for those of us willing to take on a little (lol) risk... is there any way to invest in venezuela? i see a few funds, some currency relationships, and bonds... but scottrade doesn't seem to give me access to any of them (maybe a good thing but i'd like the option)

when a dollar buys 1000x (* unnofficial #) the amount of currency it should, and they hold the #1 claimed oil reserves in the world... seems like an interesting time to grab a little.

A stanford GSB guy, bill browder, did something vaguely similar in eastern europe after the fall of the USSR. not exactly the same... to anyone who hasn't read it, Red Notice is an amazing book, even if you have to close your eyes for a couple of pages that discuss stanford. his name has popped up recently due to a few of the trump/russia storylines.

but yeah, educate a wannabe capitalist asshole on how to take advantage
burritos
SadbutTrue999;842855083 said:

practical question... for those of us willing to take on a little (lol) risk... is there any way to invest in venezuela? i see a few funds, some currency relationships, and bonds... but scottrade doesn't seem to give me access to any of them (maybe a good thing but i'd like the option)

when a dollar buys 1000x (* unnofficial #) the amount of currency it should, and they hold the #1 claimed oil reserves in the world... seems like an interesting time to grab a little.

A stanford GSB guy, bill browder, did something vaguely similar in eastern europe after the fall of the USSR. not exactly the same... to anyone who hasn't read it, Red Notice is an amazing book, even if you have to close your eyes for a couple of pages that discuss stanford. his name has popped up recently due to a few of the trump/russia storylines.

but yeah, educate a wannabe capitalist asshole on how to take advantage

A latin american or emerging market fund?

I have a theory, bet where there is a lot of undeveloped land that theoretically will be warming and become more habitable. That's Russia and Canada. After you cross off Russia, there's Canada. Because of the oil slump, all of Canada is 20% off. Their population is less than California. Their total land size is greater than the US. Lot's of growth to be had. Honestly, if Apple wanted to use it's cash pile and buy large swaths of that country, it'd be a better move than buying Beats headphones.
bearister
burritos;842856025 said:

A latin american or emerging market fund?

I have a theory, bet where there is a lot of undeveloped land that theoretically will be warming and become more habitable. That's Russia and Canada. After you cross off Russia, there's Canada. Because of the oil slump, all of Canada is 20% off. Their population is less than California. Their total land size is greater than the US. Lot's of growth to be had. Honestly, if Apple wanted to use it's cash pile and buy large swaths of that country, it'd be a better move than buying Beats headphones.

After taking the Rocky Mountaineer train trip from Vancouver to Banff, I could see living there.
burritos
bearister;842856030 said:

After taking the Rocky Mountaineer train trip from Vancouver to Banff, I could see living there.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/05/canada-tech/525930/

Quote:

Canada Wants Silicon Valley’s Tech Employees

Quote:

One country that may be an obvious choice is Canada. Canada has not only been vocal about its pro-immigration stance, but has also been investing in a small, burgeoning tech scene that’s emerged in the last five years. Although it’s incomparable in size and dollars to Silicon Valley, where some 23,000 startup companies compete for talent and billions of dollars in funding, Vancouver and the “Toronto-Waterloo Corridor” have been quietly building an ecosystem of Canadian tech entrepreneurs. Now, they say the country is ready and willing to compete for global talent.
burritos
burritos;842856042 said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/05/canada-tech/525930/

So does New Zealand BTW, which is terrific place to live, but it's just too damn far away.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/laurabegleybloom/2017/02/27/tempted-to-move-out-of-the-united-states-new-zealand-wants-to-help-you-escape/#729fb9564fd3

Quote:

Feeling the urge to leave the U.S.? You might want to follow expats like Alanna Irving (pictured here) to Wellington, New Zealand. (Photo courtesy of Alanna Irving)

Right after the presidential election, visits from U.S. citizens to the Immigration New Zealand website soared. Think 56,300 visits in 24 hours versus the usual average of 2,300. And New Zealand Now — a website about living, working, studying and investing in the country — experienced the same spike, with a 192% increase in U.S. visitors. Even Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg joked before the election that she might move to New Zealand if Trump won.

While some Americans might not have been serious about their intent to leave the country, Wellington, New Zealand — also known as "Silicon Welly — is very serious about recruiting U.S. citizens to move there.

The city has launched an initiative called LookSee Wellington. The goal? To recruit 100 talented technology candidates from across the globe, with a focus on the United States. The program arranges meetings with prospective employers who have roles that match a candidate's skills, and flights and accommodations are covered.

But here’s the thing: Whether you work in the tech industry or not, Wellington is a great place to live. Diversity is celebrated, gay marriage is legal and the first female leader was elected more than 20 years ago. If you hold a work visa valid for two years or more, public healthcare is free or low cost. The city also has more restaurants, cafes and bars per capita than New York City. And New Zealand has been called an "incubation nation," a place where innovation thrives and where people can make a real change and have impact.
Wags
I believe I mentioned EXAS earlier in this thread.
Their Q2 earnings call blew numbers away yesterday... and they raised guidance for FY-2017.

That having been said, I took long-term profits earlier today around $41
Still maintain a 20% core position.

Will add after a market correction takes place.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.