OT - Selling My Equities

103,315 Views | 675 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by rkt88edmo
FLC
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Will any of this help the Golden Bears win more football games? Go Bears.
Cal89
Fred Clerici;842782036 said:

Well, I suppose if more of us can improve the effectiveness of our investments that in-turn leads to increased gifting to Cal Athletics...
OdontoBear66
dajo9;842782020 said:

The only fiscal conservative running for President was Hillary Clinton. I recall in a post long ago you said if Trump were President spending would go down. I scoffed at that notion. Well, here we go. I expect we'll see higher spending combined with lower tax revenue and exploding deficits - just like we've seen from 2 of the last 3 Republican Presidents (and no Democratic Presidents in my lifetime). I don't know how you define fiscal conservatism but if it involves reckless disregard for budgetary constraints you are about to be very happy.

I would be very surprised if I ever said that about Trump, or any Republican. I have always believed, that in general terms, the Repubs get in office and decrease social services spending as much as they can, and at the same time increase defense spending to a like or greater amount (rightfully or wrongly). Also, I rarely endorse or stand behind anyone's stances in the matter of defense, because there is no way I can defend each and every stance they have. Thirdly, I mostly went to the polls to vote to defeat HRC---was a bit hard pressed having to vote for Trump to do so, but did. So, I can't imagine any great defense I would make of DJT, now or in the past. I certainly hope he brings a much better business climate to DC and gets many of those folks that disappeared from the work force under BO back to work. People with change in their pockets and enthusiasm about life usually bodes well for the country.
sycasey
Fred Clerici;842782036 said:

The last time Republicans were in office we got Tedford, so maybe.
OdontoBear66
sycasey;842782027 said:

I hear it exactly as often as I did before. Not sure why you are bringing up this non-issue.

Because as I say it there is a little of F PC to it. That's why. Not said at all to offend anyone of different beliefs, and certainly not a vigorous Christian at all (C/E best describes it)
82gradDLSdad
I keep thinking I'm in the suceding thread when I read this one. I guess all threads eventually boil down to political sides. Bet Sonny has a political side and I'll bet he's on a different side than many on this board 😁
sycasey
OdontoBear66;842782046 said:

Because as I say it there is a little of F PC to it. That's why. Not said at all to offend anyone of different beliefs, and certainly not a vigorous Christian at all (C/E best describes it)

The great majority of liberals really do not give a crap about whether you say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays" at all. It's only conservatives who want to make it a political football.
Unit2Sucks
OdontoBear66;842782046 said:

The irony of course is that discussion of Christianity is the ultimate PC in this country. Trump did like one thousand things wrong but if he had said anything anti Christian he would have lost bigly. Of course that just means he paid lip service to being Christian when in reality he is as faithless as they come.

Compared to the kid glove treatment of Christianity, every other PC concept is a footnote.
jyamada
OdontoBear66;842782043 said:

I would be very surprised if I ever said that about Trump, or any Republican. I have always believed, that in general terms, the Repubs get in office and decrease social services spending as much as they can, and at the same time increase defense spending to a like or greater amount (rightfully or wrongly). Also, I rarely endorse or stand behind anyone's stances in the matter of defense, because there is no way I can defend each and every stance they have. Thirdly, I mostly went to the polls to vote to defeat HRC---was a bit hard pressed having to vote for Trump to do so, but did. So, I can't imagine any great defense I would make of DJT, now or in the past. I certainly hope he brings a much better business climate to DC and gets many of those folks that disappeared from the work force under BO back to work. People with change in their pockets and enthusiasm about life usually bodes well for the country.

Didn't more jobs disappear with Bush than Obama?
OdontoBear66
jyamada;842782074 said:

Didn't more jobs disappear with Bush than Obama?

Hilights were hopes for the future. You guys still want to go back to bash Bush? Anyway, that would be defending Repub politicians which I don't do. Isn't that history yet, BTW? 64-65M in the work force to mid 62M under Mr. Hope and Change. But then, of course, we have 4.9% unemployment. Haha.
sycasey
OdontoBear66;842782076 said:

Hilights were hopes for the future. You guys still want to go back to bash Bush? Isn't that history yet, BTW? 64-65M in the work force to mid 62M under Mr. Hope and Change. But then, of course, we have 4.9% unemployment. Haha.

By this logic, you're going to stop bashing Obama in January, right?
OdontoBear66
sycasey;842782078 said:

By this logic, you're going to stop bashing Obama in January, right?

Probably so. He will be but a footnote by then. What will go in his library? His days at Occidental in detail? His time at Columbia as reported by classmates? Should not need too many wings on the building. But for now, he is still the POTUS.

Historically, Clinton and Kennedy were good ones on your side for business, although a bit weak on morals. Roosevelt, Johnson, Carter, Obama not so good.
sycasey
OdontoBear66;842782079 said:

Probably so. He will be but a footnote by then. What will go in his library? His days at Occidental in detail? His time at Columbia as reported by classmates? Should not need too many wings on the building. But for now, he is still the POTUS.

Depends on what the Republicans are going to be able to dismantle, so it's hard to say.

I believe they will have a lot of trouble repealing the Affordable Care Act, so assuming it stays that is probably Obama's most enduring legacy (largest expansion of health coverage since LBJ).

As for "good for business," I guess it depends on your measure, but IIRC the national GDP tends to grow faster under Democratic presidents vs. Republican ones. And Republicans presided over the biggest economic crashes (Hoover, Bush).
jyamada

Historically, Clinton and Kennedy were good ones on your side for business, although a bit weak on morals. Roosevelt, Johnson, Carter, Obama not so good.

You just voted for someone who is the most immoral candidate ever in Trump. Not bashing Bush but he did leave a terrible economy/legacy for Obama.....so given those parameters, Obama still was not good for business? I'm just glad Obama stabilized things over the past 8 years......I was really worried after the mess Bush left.
dajo9

The self proclaimed "moderate" on the board just said the presidents who gave us social security and medicare were not so good. What a joke.

Being Odonto (the moderate) means you never have to say anybody is good. Therefore you are immune to criticism yourself. See how well that works for our "moderate".
Goobear
Dajo have you ever started a business?
dajo9
Goobear;842782094 said:

Dajo have you ever started a business?

I've worked in the private sector my whole life and rent out a townhouse, which is like having a very small business. But I have not started a business for my main income.

EDIT - I did try to start a company once, coming out of business school. Couldn't get funding and never got off the ground.
OdontoBear66
jyamada;842782085 said:

You just voted for someone who is the most immoral candidate ever in Trump..

"most immoral candidate ever"....And you know this how? The world according to jyamada.
burritos
OdontoBear66;842782076 said:

Hilights were hopes for the future. You guys still want to go back to bash Bush? Anyway, that would be defending Repub politicians which I don't do. Isn't that history yet, BTW? 64-65M in the work force to mid 62M under Mr. Hope and Change. But then, of course, we have 4.9% unemployment. Haha.

Bush was a disaster. If he had no penis and wore glasses, he'd be Sarah Palin. The whole middle east is a crapstorm. We can thank the puppet Bush and the Neocons. If I had voted Bush(or Nader as a FLA resident) and my kid went over to Iraq and the subsequently was killed or came back with his marbles scrambled or without limbs, then yes I would have tons of regret. I would pull a Marty McFly and happily live in a world(with my child whole) where Sadam Hussein continued his autocracy and continue to present a counter balance(as unsavory it may have been) vs the Shiites in the Middle East.
jyamada
OdontoBear66;842782111 said:

"most immoral candidate ever"....And you know this how? The world according to jyamada.

Seriously? The asshole even admitted most of the outrageous stuff that appears like National Enquirer material but it's actually true. Even if I hated Hillary like you do, I'd never vote for Trump.
Wags
dajo9;842782002 said:

The irony that Trump will give me a big tax break and that millions of his supporters in middle America will lose their insurance is not lost on me. Heads I win, tails I win.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/trumps-tax-paradox-middle-america-140911188.html;_ylt=AwrSbgUCp11YM1cAr69XNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTEyazg1bHNxBGNvbG8DZ3ExBHBvcwMyBHZ0aWQDQjMyNDZfMQRzZWMDc3I-

Yup.
The Top 20% will see a 12.2% to 19.9% boost in after-tax income.

This obviously impacts the Elite Coastal States like Washington, DC., Maryland, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Hawaii, California, and Virginia - - - all those states that backed Clinton.
Wags

Yup.

JFK was able to obtain big-time bi-partisan support for his tax cuts in 1962/1963. From 91% to 70% at the top end, and 20% to 14% at the bottom end. In fact, JFK had 3 Republicans in his cabinet. He's experienced a modern revival in the eyes of many on the right owing to his stances in favor of tax cuts in concert with a strong dollar. Then, GOP and former NFL QB Jack Kemp sold the JFK tax cuts to Ronald Reagan.

Pretty good book out by Larry Kudlow on the topic, entitled "JFK and The Reagan Revolution"

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/09/the-secret-link-between-jfk-and-ronald-reagan-and-why-it-matters-now-commentary.html

I'm hoping that Kudlow becomes the next Leader of the White House Council of Economic Advisors.
He'll talk Trump down off the ledge when it comes to tariffs and convince him that he's gonna need to play nice with the Dems in order to get bi-partisan support for his tax policy.
BooDoo
OdontoBear66;842782111 said:

I'm guessing you don't watch TV except Fox?
82gradDLSdad
Wags;842782130 said:

Yup.

JFK was able to obtain big-time bi-partisan support for his tax cuts in 1962/1963. From 91% to 70% at the top end, and 20% to 14% at the bottom end. In fact, JFK had 3 Republicans in his cabinet. He's experienced a modern revival in the eyes of many on the right owing to his stances in favor of tax cuts in concert with a strong dollar. Then, GOP and former NFL QB Jack Kemp sold the JFK tax cuts to Ronald Reagan.

Pretty good book out by Larry Kudlow on the topic, entitled "JFK and The Reagan Revolution"

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/09/09/the-secret-link-between-jfk-and-ronald-reagan-and-why-it-matters-now-commentary.html

I'm hoping that Kudlow becomes the next Leader of the White House Council of Economic Advisors.
He'll talk Trump down off the ledge when it comes to tariffs and convince him that he's gonna need to play nice with the Dems in order to get bi-partisan support for his tax policy.

I like Larry Ludlow and he never gets personal with his arguments. We need more of that
FuzzyWuzzy

You just named the two presidents whose policies reeled the country back from the two biggest economic crises in our history, FDR and BHO. I'd say they were pretty good for business.
OdontoBear66
FuzzyWuzzy;842782169 said:

You just named the two presidents whose policies reeled the country back from the two biggest economic crises in our history, FDR and BHO. I'd say they were pretty good for business.

14 1/2 years for FDR including a war that saved his skin economically (see 1939-1940 USA), and BHO whose party just lost because his admin was so great. A bit FuzzyWuzzy I would say. Library size diminishing with time.
ferCALgm2
I hate the double standards in this country. How do you think conservatives would have handled Obama had he been remarried and had a total of 3 wives while cheating on them all? Or if Michelle had previous nude pics of her with another gal from back on her day? Yet Trump comes along and it's all okay.
dajo9
ferCALgm2;842782187 said:

I hate the double standards in this country. How do you think conservatives would have handled Obama had he been remarried and had a total of 3 wives while cheating on them all? Or if Michelle had previous nude pics of her with another gal from back on her day? Yet Trump comes along and it's all okay.

How about if Putin had worked with a Democrat to win the election.

Honestly, Obama was such a good President conservatives have the luxury of being outraged over things like "Happy Holidays". That's the tell.
OdontoBear66
dajo9;842782189 said:

Honestly, Obama was such a good President conservatives have the luxury of being outraged over things like "Happy Holidays". That's the tell.

As the day draws nearer, a very Merry Christmas to you dajo. I am just happy to say it with zesto. Not outraged by Happy Holidays at all, just its use as the only alternative. Put words in others mouths (Trump lover, Happy Holidays)---suit yourself from a few years back.
Unit2Sucks
Just curious Odonto and you of course don't have to answer if it's too personal but if I recall correctly you are one of the people who was displaced from the economy by Obama and are no longer looking for work. Are you planning to re enter the labor force now that Trump is going to be president?

My parents were both displaced by Obama's economy (their investments grew so much that it no longer made sense for them to work) but they have no plans to work again. To each his own.

I only bring this up because you talk about the labor participation rate and obviously have a bone to pick with Obama.
Goobear
FuzzyWuzzy;842782169 said:

You just named the two presidents whose policies reeled the country back from by the two biggest economic crises in our history, FDR and BHO. I'd say they were pretty good for business.

The federal reserve does that not presidents. Presidents set the tone and business will act or not act. Looks to me business has not liked the tone hence below average economic growth rates the last 8 years. And then there is the doubling of national debt in the same period....

Let's not even talk about my healthcare premium being increased by 37%. It is a hidden tax engineered by the Democrats....

Merry Christmas
Big C
dajo9;842782189 said:

That was only the tip of the iceberg, though. Wasn't Michelle Obama, early in their first term IIRC, trying to outlaw dessert? "So unfair!"
FuzzyWuzzy
Goobear;842782211 said:

The federal reserve does that not presidents. Presidents set the tone and business will act or not act. Looks to me business has not liked the tone hence below average economic growth rates the last 8 years. And then there is the doubling of national debt in the same period....

It's your conservative compatriot odonto who named the bad-for-business presidents, not me. Now you claim it's the fed, not presidents. You can't have it both ways, although you seem ti try in vain. It must suck to be on the wrong side of history, and reason.

By the way, it is fiscal policy like the new deal, the auto bailout, the bank bailout and ARRA, all policies conservatives opposed, that saved us from our worst economic crises.
FuzzyWuzzy
OdontoBear66;842782181 said:

14 1/2 years for FDR including a war that saved his skin economically (see 1939-1940 USA), and BHO whose party just lost because his admin was so great. A bit FuzzyWuzzy I would say. Library size diminishing with time.

So FDR was lucky WWIi came along and BHO does not get credit for saving us from the great recession? In odonto world I guess reagan didnt end the cold war and W isnt responsible for 9/11, the second iraq war and the worst economic crisis of our lifetimes? You cant have it both ways try as you might in your infinitely biased mind.
dajo9
Goobear;842782211 said:

Let's not even talk about my healthcare premium being increased by 37%. It is a hidden tax engineered by the Democrats....

Merry Christmas

Goobear, you don't understand what is holding back this economy. It is low demand caused by income inequality and laissez faire capitalism will not resolve this on its own. If economic growth goes up under Trump it will be because he takes government action to increase middle class incomes. I'm fairly confident he won't.

Not incidentally, income inequality is also why interest rates will go down again. All that money in the hands of the few has to go somewhere. It will find its way back to bonds.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.