Accusation of sexual harassment by Cal football

138,323 Views | 640 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BearGreg
LACalFan
How long do you want to ignore this user?

tequila4kapp
oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

I'm sorry but I didn't read any further after she said she met a man at midnight who she felt was a sicko and stocking her. Its nonsensical. No woman would do that. I'm not saying she's lying but I had to reread it three times before simply moving on.
I did read a snippet somewhere else where she said she's dealing with mental illness, now that might explain why she went there for her mental illness would not allow her to think clearly and she was processing information wrong, either way don't they do background checks and wouldn't it not say somewhere that she's dealing with mental issues thus a high profile employer would probably not hire her.

If she's definitely got mental issues then I definitely side with her for it makes everything worst for she had the same ability to make major decisions as a child thus why she kept making wrong ones. Her mental illness actually makes this quite worst than simple Sexual Harassment.

Who hired her without talking to her fellow players I bet they knew based on her openness to admit it now.

based on the info she gave I'm betting its a former WR coach.
i agree, she sounds like an absolute nut job based on her decision to go to the hotel room and to the party. she is an adult and chose to start drinking the tequila. what kind of sane and rational adult would go to a party filled with people she feels uncomfortable around and starts binge drinking.

that being said, hopefully wilcox and knowlton did what they are legally and morally required to do.

If you look at her profile on social media and the multitude of scantily clad and suggestive pictures she is still posting you will see she is seeking attention. Amazing to see her also using social media to troll for her coming lawsuit, is that what what plaintiff sexual harassment lawyers really encourage now?
There is absolutely nothing inappropriate or attention-seeking in her Instagram. Unless it's being judged by an extreme religious conservative. A young SoCal woman in a bikini? Oh, the humanity!

you're kidding, right?

I know it was just 'my gut' and all but there you go...more to the story, and a much more nuanced story at that. Just as I predicted.
GMP
tequila4kapp said:

oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

I'm sorry but I didn't read any further after she said she met a man at midnight who she felt was a sicko and stocking her. Its nonsensical. No woman would do that. I'm not saying she's lying but I had to reread it three times before simply moving on.
I did read a snippet somewhere else where she said she's dealing with mental illness, now that might explain why she went there for her mental illness would not allow her to think clearly and she was processing information wrong, either way don't they do background checks and wouldn't it not say somewhere that she's dealing with mental issues thus a high profile employer would probably not hire her.

If she's definitely got mental issues then I definitely side with her for it makes everything worst for she had the same ability to make major decisions as a child thus why she kept making wrong ones. Her mental illness actually makes this quite worst than simple Sexual Harassment.

Who hired her without talking to her fellow players I bet they knew based on her openness to admit it now.

i agree, she sounds like an absolute nut job based on her decision to go to the hotel room and to the party. she is an adult and chose to start drinking the tequila. what kind of sane and rational adult would go to a party filled with people she feels uncomfortable around and starts binge drinking.

that being said, hopefully wilcox and knowlton did what they are legally and morally required to do.

If you look at her profile on social media and the multitude of scantily clad and suggestive pictures she is still posting you will see she is seeking attention. Amazing to see her also using social media to troll for her coming lawsuit, is that what what plaintiff sexual harassment lawyers really encourage now?
There is absolutely nothing inappropriate or attention-seeking in her Instagram. Unless it's being judged by an extreme religious conservative. A young SoCal woman in a bikini? Oh, the humanity!

you're kidding, right?

I know it was just 'my gut' and all but there you go...more to the story, and a much more nuanced story at that. Just as I predicted.
*eye roll*

Confirmation bias. You didn't spend more than 3 seconds wondering if this was real.
tequila4kapp
sunewoco said:

txwharfrat said:

You missed the two key points:

1) Her IG feed doesn't jive with her "poverty" story in the FB post.
I don't think her FB post indicated that she was in "poverty", just that she was a student on financial aid/possibly work-study who needed the job to help finance her studies. It's not as if working a job and going on trips are mutually exclusive, and if you take a look at the IG feed of an average modern-day sorority sister, you'll probably find a similar amount of vacationing and whatnot.
From her statement in the first OP:

"The next day, he cornered me at practice and said "if you do not have sex with me,I will get you fired". I am a broke college student, I couldn't lose this job, and I was scared of him. Every night before a Cal home game, the team stays in the Claremont, luxury hotel nearby. I was staying there with my mom that night, as she was visiting me for the weekend. I get a text from the coach. "Meet me in my room". I couldn't let my mom down, if I got fired she wouldn't be able to support me, so I said I was leaving for the night."

====
Agree to disagree
socaliganbear
Piphi taking poor girls would be a new twist to this whole thing.
Alkiadt
tequila4kapp said:

oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

you're kidding, right?

never mind...evidently a fake .
GMP
Alkiadt said:

tequila4kapp said:

oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

you're kidding, right?

Lol....not feeling too sympathetic here.
This is embarrassing. This is clearly fake. The mods should delete these.
NVBear78
It is really inappropriate to make and post on a public forum a made up image like that for a serious issue like this. I really hope the moderators (or the poster) delete it...

You never know who will wander in and think it is real.

My two cents.
okaydo
agree
calumnus
packawana said:

The amount of fixation over what she's wearing on her IG is exactly what's wrong with this situation. Why the hell would any of that excuse a person harrassing her?

Well said.
calumnus
NVBear78 said:

It is really inappropriate to make and post on a public forum a made up image like that for a serious issue like this. I really hope the moderators (or the poster) delete it...

You never know who will wander in and think it is real.

My two cents.

Agreed.
edg64
Jordan Duncan !!!

Good Grief - We are already short of WRs
edg64
okaydo said:

At least they didn't use "UC Berkeley" in the headline.

How did she wrap her right arm completely around her body ?

Skinny waist or very long arms
Bobodeluxe
edg64 said:

Jordan Duncan !!!

Good Grief - We are already short of WRs
Finally. Someone who grasps the seriousness of the situation.
Fyght4Cal
oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

you're kidding, right?

P.T. Barnum was right. Every darn minute.
Patience is a virtue, but I’m not into virtue signaling these days.
sycasey
Fyght4Cal said:

oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

you're kidding, right?

And some of the usual suspects here lapped it up.
BearGoggles
OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

There have been several posts indicating that the women's story should be believed because false reports of crimes - particularly sexual harassment and rape - are rare. Most claims are true, but many are not.

I think in today's world, it is not accurate to suggest that a claimed victim has nothing to gain. Aside from potential legal recoveries (which have always been available), in today's world a claimed victim gets a ton of attention, the very coveted victim status, and an opportunity to promote an agenda (or in some cases, exact vengeance and/or revenge). The [url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/22/jussie-smollett-attack-hoax-allegation-bogus-police-reports-real-harm/2936672002/][/url]Jussie Smollett episode is only the most recent example. Understandably, many of us can't fathom that a famous relatively wealthy person would make a false claim. Yet is seems almost certain he did.
[url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/22/jussie-smollett-attack-hoax-allegation-bogus-police-reports-real-harm/2936672002/][/url]
There is reporting that false claims are more common than thought. In addition, many of the Title IX claims being litigated in courts on a nationwide basis have shown that the claims are sometimes made with improper motive (i.e., claims made after consensual relationships ended badly).

In this case (every case), the woman's claims should be fully investigated. But it sure seems that there's more to the story. I'm open to all possibilities, but I find it very difficult to believe that complaints were submitted to (and received by) JW or Cal admin and ignored.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/7/false-sex-assault-reports-not-rare-reported-studie/

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/another-sexual-assault-acquittal-reaffirms-the-need-to-believeevidence/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/10/17/sexual-assault-allegations-wait-facts-former-prosecutor-column/1659190002/

I'm responding to you BG, but this isn't aimed at you. I AM picking on one phrase in your post as I think it is representative of a ton of posts here. That phrase is "I find it hard to believe..." I'm seeing this sentiment on both sides. Relatively neutral posts arguing we wait and see followed by a "I find it hard to believe" statement.
I'm sorry, if you live in this world, I find it hard to believe that any of you are so out of it that you still find anything hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe that people do scumbag things like are accused here. But it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe that people make false accusations. But it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe that smart people who receive these reports don't handle them properly, but it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe (and frankly it hurts my heart) that any woman would feel such lack of empowerment to essentially not stand up to bullying to the point where they go to parties or others hotel rooms, but it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I don't find her story hard to believe. I don't find the possibility that she has made it up or exaggerated it hard to believe. I don't find the concept that Cal has done everything correctly hard to believe. I don't find the idea that Cal has failed miserably hard to believe. All of this has been seen over and over.

So here is what I'm going to do until I find out more. I'm going to treat this woman as if she is telling the truth. I'm going to treat the accused as if they are telling the truth.

And I'm going to submit to all of you that no one here is neutral. I think it is safe to say we all hope this is untrue. No one wants to think a young woman went through this. No one wants to think any of our representatives would do this. And let's face it, this would be severely damaging to our football program, and we are on a Cal football board because we care about the fate of our football program. (I would submit that if somehow I could demonstrate that her claims being true would somehow lead to a Rose Bowl while not hurting the reputation of the program, she would garner a lot more sympathy). On the flip side, a lot of people are also inclined to take a societal problem and statistics and apply them to an individual case when that is just not appropropriate.

And I don't claim to be neutral on this issue. The discussions around all of these cases always makes me uncomfortable. Sexual harassment and assault are not false reported any more than any other crime. Which is to say about 6-10% false reporting rate. That is certainly high enough to take the possibility of a false report seriously whether it is a pickpocketing or a sexual assault. What makes me uncomfortable is the speculation as to reasons. Hell, I don't know why anyone would false report anything. But they do. However, the woman scorned, gold digger, **** stories that can be made up spill over on the accuser, and speculation is just not helpful either in the individual case or in the societal case.

As I said, I am not neutral. I have daughters. The statistics are frightening. And as a society we have just flat out been horrible in prosecuting these types of cases. Sexual assault is about the easiest crime to get away with. The percentage of perpetrators that see jail time is shockingly low. In sheer numbers, the number of victims who do not see justice just swamps the number of innocent people who ever see consequences for a crime they don't commit. We really need to do something about this.

However, societal statistics don't mean a damned thing when it comes to an individual case. We've got to stop treating them like they do. And individual cases don't mean squat when it comes to judging a societal problem. We can't put the baggage of all of our history on every individual case. The question of innocence or guilt of an individual accused has nothing to do with how many people were unjustly let go or convicted in the past.

What we can do is stop jumping to conclusions on both sides. What we really must do is start treating all sides with fairness. Stop defending people you think you know. Stop judging situations you think you understand.

In this case, she has made claims that should produce witnesses. They don't always, but I'm hoping that there are enough good people in this world that someone will support her if they can corroborate. Even more importantly, she has made claims of communications that should be provable if they occurred.

What I ask is that Cal do a neutral and competent investigation and for everyone to treat EVERYBODY in the situation with respect until we know more. There will be plenty of time to cast stones at the accuser if she is lying or the accused if she is telling the truth.
What I found hard to believe (the allegation that Wilcox and Knowlton didn't report) has since been confirmed by Cal's statement - Wilcox and the AD immediately reported the complaint. Could they be lying? I suppose. But, again, I highly doubt that. Weighing credibility (as I'm doing) and pointing to obvious holes/discrepancies in the women's claims (not to mention how she chose to publish them) is not jumping to a conclusion. It is critical thinking.

You have posted a bunch of disputable statistics and then (correctly) said the statistics don't matter in an individual case. You don't indicate where your 6-10% claimed false reporting rate comes from. The numbers I've found are all over the place - I think in part because it is unclear how to classify cases that are reported and which are not prosecuted/ajudicated (i.e., it is hard to tell if it a criminal complaint is false or just not supported by enough evidence to pursue). It also depends on how the "harassment" is defined - the most commonly cited studies in that regard had an unreasonably broad definition of harassment which included behaviors that many would not consider harassment (such as pickup lines) and certainly were not "assault".

Finally, I think its wrong to conflate statistics regarding sexual assault, which is typically a criminal matter, with harassment claims which are typically civil (and in some cases, such as at Cal, also administrative). I think there is a much greater risk of false/unfair claims in the civil/administrative setting, particularly given the current #metoo environment where the scales are heavily tipped in favor of the "victim," who "must be believed" and receives instant victim status.

All of this was to address earlier posts where people said they believed the woman because false reports are rare and "what does she have to gain" (aka the Jussie Smollett defense) I'll stand by my original statement that the number of false claims is not as low as people like to think and that there are many reasons a person might present a false claim - if you doubt this look at the comments to the women's facebook post. Beyond that, I join you in hoping that Cal will do a fair and competent investigation. Unfortunately, due to privacy concerns and rules, we will likely never now the details and, if innocent people have been wrongly accused, their reputations will never be fully restored because they won't be able to speak about it.
75bear
Man, people are on edge.
BearlyCareAnymore
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

There have been several posts indicating that the women's story should be believed because false reports of crimes - particularly sexual harassment and rape - are rare. Most claims are true, but many are not.

I think in today's world, it is not accurate to suggest that a claimed victim has nothing to gain. Aside from potential legal recoveries (which have always been available), in today's world a claimed victim gets a ton of attention, the very coveted victim status, and an opportunity to promote an agenda (or in some cases, exact vengeance and/or revenge). The [url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/22/jussie-smollett-attack-hoax-allegation-bogus-police-reports-real-harm/2936672002/][/url]Jussie Smollett episode is only the most recent example. Understandably, many of us can't fathom that a famous relatively wealthy person would make a false claim. Yet is seems almost certain he did.
[url=https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/02/22/jussie-smollett-attack-hoax-allegation-bogus-police-reports-real-harm/2936672002/][/url]
There is reporting that false claims are more common than thought. In addition, many of the Title IX claims being litigated in courts on a nationwide basis have shown that the claims are sometimes made with improper motive (i.e., claims made after consensual relationships ended badly).

In this case (every case), the woman's claims should be fully investigated. But it sure seems that there's more to the story. I'm open to all possibilities, but I find it very difficult to believe that complaints were submitted to (and received by) JW or Cal admin and ignored.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/7/false-sex-assault-reports-not-rare-reported-studie/

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/another-sexual-assault-acquittal-reaffirms-the-need-to-believeevidence/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/10/17/sexual-assault-allegations-wait-facts-former-prosecutor-column/1659190002/

I'm responding to you BG, but this isn't aimed at you. I AM picking on one phrase in your post as I think it is representative of a ton of posts here. That phrase is "I find it hard to believe..." I'm seeing this sentiment on both sides. Relatively neutral posts arguing we wait and see followed by a "I find it hard to believe" statement.
I'm sorry, if you live in this world, I find it hard to believe that any of you are so out of it that you still find anything hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe that people do scumbag things like are accused here. But it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe that people make false accusations. But it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe that smart people who receive these reports don't handle them properly, but it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I find it hard to believe (and frankly it hurts my heart) that any woman would feel such lack of empowerment to essentially not stand up to bullying to the point where they go to parties or others hotel rooms, but it happens all the time, so I don't find it hard to believe.

I don't find her story hard to believe. I don't find the possibility that she has made it up or exaggerated it hard to believe. I don't find the concept that Cal has done everything correctly hard to believe. I don't find the idea that Cal has failed miserably hard to believe. All of this has been seen over and over.

So here is what I'm going to do until I find out more. I'm going to treat this woman as if she is telling the truth. I'm going to treat the accused as if they are telling the truth.

And I'm going to submit to all of you that no one here is neutral. I think it is safe to say we all hope this is untrue. No one wants to think a young woman went through this. No one wants to think any of our representatives would do this. And let's face it, this would be severely damaging to our football program, and we are on a Cal football board because we care about the fate of our football program. (I would submit that if somehow I could demonstrate that her claims being true would somehow lead to a Rose Bowl while not hurting the reputation of the program, she would garner a lot more sympathy). On the flip side, a lot of people are also inclined to take a societal problem and statistics and apply them to an individual case when that is just not appropropriate.

And I don't claim to be neutral on this issue. The discussions around all of these cases always makes me uncomfortable. Sexual harassment and assault are not false reported any more than any other crime. Which is to say about 6-10% false reporting rate. That is certainly high enough to take the possibility of a false report seriously whether it is a pickpocketing or a sexual assault. What makes me uncomfortable is the speculation as to reasons. Hell, I don't know why anyone would false report anything. But they do. However, the woman scorned, gold digger, **** stories that can be made up spill over on the accuser, and speculation is just not helpful either in the individual case or in the societal case.

As I said, I am not neutral. I have daughters. The statistics are frightening. And as a society we have just flat out been horrible in prosecuting these types of cases. Sexual assault is about the easiest crime to get away with. The percentage of perpetrators that see jail time is shockingly low. In sheer numbers, the number of victims who do not see justice just swamps the number of innocent people who ever see consequences for a crime they don't commit. We really need to do something about this.

However, societal statistics don't mean a damned thing when it comes to an individual case. We've got to stop treating them like they do. And individual cases don't mean squat when it comes to judging a societal problem. We can't put the baggage of all of our history on every individual case. The question of innocence or guilt of an individual accused has nothing to do with how many people were unjustly let go or convicted in the past.

What we can do is stop jumping to conclusions on both sides. What we really must do is start treating all sides with fairness. Stop defending people you think you know. Stop judging situations you think you understand.

In this case, she has made claims that should produce witnesses. They don't always, but I'm hoping that there are enough good people in this world that someone will support her if they can corroborate. Even more importantly, she has made claims of communications that should be provable if they occurred.

What I ask is that Cal do a neutral and competent investigation and for everyone to treat EVERYBODY in the situation with respect until we know more. There will be plenty of time to cast stones at the accuser if she is lying or the accused if she is telling the truth.
What I found hard to believe (the allegation that Wilcox and Knowlton didn't report) has since been confirmed by Cal's statement - Wilcox and the AD immediately reported the complaint. Could they be lying? I suppose. But, again, I highly doubt that. Weighing credibility (as I'm doing) and pointing to obvious holes/discrepancies in the women's claims (not to mention how she chose to publish them) is not jumping to a conclusion. It is critical thinking.

You have posted a bunch of disputable statistics and then (correctly) said the statistics don't matter in an individual case. You don't indicate where your 6-10% claimed false reporting rate comes from. The numbers I've found are all over the place - I think in part because it is unclear how to classify cases that are reported and which are not prosecuted/ajudicated (i.e., it is hard to tell if it a criminal complaint is false or just not supported by enough evidence to pursue). It also depends on how the "harassment" is defined - the most commonly cited studies in that regard had an unreasonably broad definition of harassment which included behaviors that many would not consider harassment (such as pickup lines) and certainly were not "assault".

Finally, I think its wrong to conflate statistics regarding sexual assault, which is typically a criminal matter, with harassment claims which are typically civil (and in some cases, such as at Cal, also administrative). I think there is a much greater risk of false/unfair claims in the civil/administrative setting, particularly given the current #metoo environment where the scales are heavily tipped in favor of the "victim," who "must be believed" and receives instant victim status.

All of this was to address earlier posts where people said they believed the woman because false reports are rare and "what does she have to gain" (aka the Jussie Smollett defense) I'll stand by my original statement that the number of false claims is not as low as people like to think and that there are many reasons a person might present a false claim - if you doubt this look at the comments to the women's facebook post. Beyond that, I join you in hoping that Cal will do a fair and competent investigation. Unfortunately, due to privacy concerns and rules, we will likely never now the details and, if innocent people have been wrongly accused, their reputations will never be fully restored because they won't be able to speak about it.

I disagree that the scales are tipped in favor of the "victim" and surely not heavily so. For one, I haven't seen a case where there isn't a heavy response complaining that the "victim must be believed" as an excuse to dismiss all victims and then proceed with the usual tearing into them. And then the #metoo movement is cited as some horror without any evidence that any innocent person has been caught up in it. In fact I would point to the case of Aziz Ansari who many would claim was cheap shotted by a journalist based on one woman with one complaint, and who got a lot of support from people in the #metoo movement.

Making a harassment claim still normally leaves the victim worse off for in most cases. Usually without their job and going through a lot of trauma. Most victims move on because it just isn't worth it.

bearister
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that BI is offering a free Write like Hemingway seminar?

"I'm clear enough in the head, he thought. Too clear. I am as clear as the stars that are my brothers."

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
freshfunk
GMP said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

you're kidding, right?

is that real?
No, of course not. (1) That's not her username; (2) "paigefinstacorn" is obviously fake (finsta); (3) It even says "meme".

I don't know if it's real or just but I want to clarify a few things.

1) A user can change their Instagram username at any time.

2) paigefinstacorn sounds wonky but could've been a prior username she used to use. A google search shows a third party scraper connecting this account to an Eve Cornelius that looks potentially like her sister. These third party scrapers typically reflect some historical data. It's not reliable but I thought I'd share.

3) The time is meaningless as it could've been a friend who saw the story later on.

4) Meme button is meaningless. Could've been an image that was opened in an app that allowed the user to turn photos into memes.

In this day of fake news, though, one should be reasonably skeptical. The actual Instagram story might be real with the comment doctored.
KoreAmBear
The Title IX Office of Civil Rights process has been evolving rapidly and has only been enforced for about 5 years now. Remember the investigations done against the University of Montana, Yale and many others targeted (including Cal) -- that's when the systematic stamping of sexual harassment/sexual assault on campus really began.

The procedures are now very numerous and strict. Students and the general public may not exactly know how they are enforced unless they look up the actual policy. Reporting parties such as the head coach of the football team or the director of athletics have a duty to report alleged violations to the Title IX office on campus. However, that part of the process may not be disclosed to the complainant.

The Title IX office will usually send the complainant and responding parties a notice letter that an investigation into certain allegations (and they will keep it somewhat general yet specific enough where you can understand what this is about) is ongoing. But the letter does not usually disclose the source of the report.

Paige easily could have thought the Title IX office began this investigation due to some source other than athletics (Paige could have contacted or met with them directly or perhaps she may have told a classmate who could have reported it on her behalf). And her comments that Cal athletics did not return her calls may have reflected her subjective belief that they were sitting on this, even if Wilcox or Knowlton had already reported this to the Title IX office.

So the bottom line is that it's very feasible that Wilcox/Knowlton reported this while at the same time Paige believed that they did nothing.
MSaviolives
bearister said:

BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Is there any truth to the rumor that BI is offering a free Write like Hemingway seminar?

"I'm clear enough in the head, he thought. Too clear. I am as clear as the stars that are my brothers."

Speaking of bone spurs
GMP
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

She didn't say they didn't report it. She said she didn't hear back from them. That does not mean they didn't report it. Was that "critical thinking"?
Golden One
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Well said, BG.
Bobodeluxe
75bear said:

Man, people are on edge.
NVBear78
sycasey said:

Fyght4Cal said:

oskioski said:

Fyght4Cal said:

NVBear78 said:

flounder said:

TonyTiger said:

you're kidding, right?

And some of the usual suspects here lapped it up.

Based upon review by the younger generation this is in fact her account and post. Dang, I shouldn't have listened to the PC crowd. This rang too true with her other comments
71Bear
BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Here is what I find hard to believe...

That anyone would think something is "hard to believe". In this day and age, anything is possible and nothing surprises me. Call me cyclical if you wish but I really think that everything and anything is believable......
okaydo
I'm lost. I take a few hours off. And there's a post on the main board saying it's real.

Is it real or not? Can somebody clarify? Thanks.
Bear19
okaydo said:

I'm lost. I take a few hours off. And there's a post on the main board saying it's real.

Until we have a definitive answer/explanation of all the facts, we're left with speculation, which is usually fraught with bad information & prejudiced viewpoints in situations like this one.

Knowlton's email says that he & Wilcox followed proper procedure. That doesn't settle the issues & charges made by the young lady, but it does begin to give us some indication that at least Wilcox & Knowlton followed policy & did not try to dismiss the charges of the young lady. Was that sufficient? How can we know at this point?

Once the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination takes over "the case" I would assume no further action is allowed by Knowlton or Wilcox, until instructed otherwise by the Chancellor.

So, we're left to wait until the facts as the Office the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination determine them to be, are made public - at least the facts that the University is willing to reveal. Nothing else we can do so far as I can see.
NYCGOBEARS
71Bear said:

BearGoggles said:

OaktownBear said:

BearGoggles said:

Here is what I find hard to believe...

That anyone would think something is "hard to believe". In this day and age, anything is possible and nothing surprises me. Call me cyclical if you wish but I really think that everything and anything is believable......

I've often called you cynical. I should add cyclical now? Will do.
okaydo
Bear19 said:

okaydo said:

Until we have a definitive answer/explanation of all the facts, we're left with speculation, which is usually fraught with bad information & prejudiced viewpoints in situations like this one.

Knowlton's email says that he & Wilcox followed proper procedure. That doesn't settle the issues & charges made by the young lady, but it does begin to give us some indication that at least Wilcox & Knowlton followed policy & did not try to dismiss the charges of the young lady. Was that sufficient? How can we know at this point?

Once the Office for the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination takes over "the case" I would assume no further action is allowed by Knowlton or Wilcox, until instructed otherwise by the Chancellor.

So, we're left to wait until the facts as the Office the Prevention of Harassment and Discrimination determine them to be, are made public - at least the facts that the University is willing to reveal. Nothing else we can do so far as I can see.

To be clear: I'm talking about the Instagram Stories image above, which has been declared fake and real -- not the original Facebook post.

NVBear78
okaydo said:

Sorry Okaydo the explanations must be over on the Insider Board. But two people carefully explained how "Finsta" accounts work which is where she posted. A third person I know who used to work as a Cal intern looked at it and confirmed it was hers as far as he could tell.
SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

This is a distinction But, my opinion as to the veracity of the claimant's allegations in this particular case is not the same as my opinion as to the likely result of this particular case based on the statistical probability of likely result in all like cases. In simpler words, I don't know whether or not she is telling the truth, but I know what usually happens in cases like hers.
Yogi58
SurvivorOf1and10fkaLEA said:

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

This is a distinction that a simple mind like yours probably won't get. But, my opinion as to the veracity of the claimant's allegations in this particular case is not the same as my opinion as to the likely result of this particular case based on the statistical probability of likely result in all like cases. In simpler words, so you might be able to understand: I don't know whether or not she is telling the truth, but I know what usually happens in cases like hers.
Why don't you get specific instead of hiding in generalities and tell me what you think I said that was so foolish.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.