Warning: Spoiler alert in GOT thread

42,201 Views | 418 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by sycasey
CalGrad95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
wifeisafurd said:

Yes, that is the latest. They moved on to Star Wars.
Awesome! They'll love the totally chill Fanbase that comes with Star Wars!

They totally react normally to disappointing decisions by their directors, and don't obsess about little things at all.
TheSouseFamily
The D+D boys at least paid attention to subtle details of language and accents in their characters. They never would have had "Soviets" with British accents like on Chernobyl (which kinda ruins the entire show).
dbklalw
sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Also, does anyone kind of think Bran is not so moral or just. Once he became the Three-Eyed Raven, he is apathetic and dispassionate, often times it is hard to tell if he cares about people at all. Also, he presumably was able to see the entire final season before they played out, and yet he allowed everyone to be sacrificed at Winterfell prior to Arya killing the Night King. He did nothing to stop the slaughter of King's Landing. He basically used Cersei's plan of letting everyone else destroy each other and the innocent, while he hangs back knowing one day he'll be King. Then, he doesn't care to even run the kingdom as he'd rather warg around than actually solve problems. I'd predict several kingdoms try to break away and declare their independence much like Sansa and the North within five years.
I think Bran isn't particularly moral, but his dispassionate nature allows for more stability than Westeros has seen in a long while. That's basically why everyone grudgingly accepted him on the throne.
It was difficult for me to understand how he functions at all if he, as he claims, does not want. I would expect him to be like the prior three-eye raven and just observe. How is he to be a leader if he doesn't want for anything, including justice and well-being for his people?
sycasey
dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Also, does anyone kind of think Bran is not so moral or just. Once he became the Three-Eyed Raven, he is apathetic and dispassionate, often times it is hard to tell if he cares about people at all. Also, he presumably was able to see the entire final season before they played out, and yet he allowed everyone to be sacrificed at Winterfell prior to Arya killing the Night King. He did nothing to stop the slaughter of King's Landing. He basically used Cersei's plan of letting everyone else destroy each other and the innocent, while he hangs back knowing one day he'll be King. Then, he doesn't care to even run the kingdom as he'd rather warg around than actually solve problems. I'd predict several kingdoms try to break away and declare their independence much like Sansa and the North within five years.
I think Bran isn't particularly moral, but his dispassionate nature allows for more stability than Westeros has seen in a long while. That's basically why everyone grudgingly accepted him on the throne.
It was difficult for me to understand how he functions at all if he, as he claims, does not want. I would expect him to be like the prior three-eye raven and just observe. How is he to be a leader if he doesn't want for anything, including justice and well-being for his people?
Lets Tyrion and the council run things, basically.
dbklalw
GBear4Life said:

Questions about plausibility of plot/characters:

What were Sam, Arya, Brienne and Bran doing at the rather odd meeting discussing terms? They are Lords of nothing. (And the inclusion of Sam and Edmere injecting their 2 cents and then getting clowned were awkward and unnecessary)

At this very meeting, an imp tied up in chains as a prisoner is leading a decision regarding who should be King (wow, what a bunch of spineless Lords). He chooses Bran and they all heed his suggestion. Then, instead of getting a sentence, he -- a Lannister -- is demanded to be the King's Hand rather than punished (mind you, Jon, a nobleman with kinship to the Lords present, is not given same treatment). The unsullied is content with this. This all was ridiculous, IMO.

The Unsullied, spending years following their Queen in battle to Westeros, see their Queen killed and are easily convinced to sail away to other lands. OK, bro.

Ary and Sansa, going to great lengths to fight and seek revenge for family for 8 seasons, decide to accept banishing Jon to the Night's Watch despite Bran now being King who just pardoned Tyrion - a f'ing Lannister. Furthermore, Arya and her great love of Jon and her Stark family, decides to abandon her family on a voyage to NOWHERE. Sansa and Bran love Jon, are so grateful for all he's done,and who now have tremendous power, but then justify his sentence as a necessary compromise. Warden of the North, heir to the Iron Trone that helped saved Westeros, will again be forced to live like a peasant in blue-balls Hell despite killing on his family's/hand direction and his family now being the King/Queen of Westeros/North. ROFL.

Dany finds herself with no guards in sight at the Iron Throne. Jon goes from a Dany sycophant to someone willing to kill her in a span of 6 minutes because of a conversation with Tyrion. Then Drogon for no apparent reason sets the iron throne ablaze.

Jon says goodbye to his "family" at the docks and it never occurs to them "hey, you don't have to do this, we're the King and Queen of Westeros and the North!" Hard to invoke a sincere emotional response form viewers over a goodbye that is ridiculously implausible.

Brienne mysteriously has access to adulterate Jaime's Wikipedia page.

Martin did say a big thing for him was showing evil/honor were ambiguous. Fair enough. The issue is characters were pawns in plot service, creating twists for the sake of twists itself. It's one thing to not have the endings you had in mind for these characters that you had in mind. The bigger thing was forcing characters and plots to an ending.

People having to justify and rationalize behavior proves your point that the last two seasons consisted of characters acting merely to service the plot.

What made the books and the first 5 or so seasons so amazing was that, despite existing in a world with dragons, knights, and magic, there was truth to the way the characters behaved and the way the consequences followed prior actions.

All that went away in Seasons 7 and 8. The characters choices seemed untrue and illogical, and completely inconsistent with what we were told in prior 6 seasons.

I was not happy with references that the show "foreshadowed" Dany's madness, as if we are to ignore all of the other character development, including the sacrifices she made for the North and the compassion she had for her friends and displaced/oppressed.

What they did to Dany based on "foreshadowing" would be similar to:

Turning Arya into a mad serial killer after she kills the Night King because there were scenes foreshadowing how she took pleasure in killing. After all, not all of the people in the House of Frey were guilty. Then, based on someone saying that Arya has gone mad, having Jon kill her. Would that not erase all prior 7 seasons of character development?

Or turning Sansa into another Ramsay Bolton after she is made Queen because there were scenes foreshadowing how she takes pleasure in cruel punishment. After all, she took pleasure in watching Ramsay being eaten by dogs and having Littlefinger killed without a real trial. Then, after someone saying that Sansa has gone mad, having Jon kill her. Would that not erase all their prior experiences and all prior 7 seasons of character development?

None of that would feel true even if someone could argue that they were foreshadowing this. It would not feel true because there was not enough story development where, even if we wished those things did not happen, it would still feel true to what we had seen as a strong possibility.

Subverting expectation does not make it clever or interesting. I would not have been impressed if they subverted expectations and turned every Stark into frogs. No one would have expected that, and it would have felt untrue and nonsensical.
dbklalw
sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

But why would he want that or any other result? He would seem to be indifferent.
dbklalw
OneKeg said:

Overall, I felt many of the final outcomes in the TV show are ones that a great story could reach. But ever since it went beyond the actual written book source material (and sometimes even before that) the TV show has been a great spectacle but a mediocre/hollow story at best. More on the level of a standard decent-budget action movie. And that's ok. The actors were still good and some of the scenes were still breathtaking. On balance, I'm glad I watched it.

I think you summarized the fault with the last season perfectly. If time was a constraint, they could have done away with all of Jon's true heritage since it actually did not matter at all. They could have done away with Jaime's character arc since it did not matter or support the story. I honestly have a hard time understanding the point of the White Walkers at this point. They could have made this a story about a strong, charismatic leader who starts with all of the right intentions but turns into a tyrannical monster whose moral compass was slowly altered. Breaking Bad was amazing because the turn made sense. Dany breaking bad made no sense, and the resolution for the characters was silly at best.

I also read that the reason Grey Worm did not kill Jon right away was that he is a soldier who does not act without command. If that is the case, he also would not have started a war without a command even if they freed Jon. Cannot have both.

The reason I am frustrated is that the expectations and standards were set extremely high by the show's first 6 seasons. Yet, from a purely relative standpoint, the entire show was quite enjoyable, even if ultimately disappointing.
okaydo
sycasey
dbklalw said:

GBear4Life said:

Questions about plausibility of plot/characters:

What were Sam, Arya, Brienne and Bran doing at the rather odd meeting discussing terms? They are Lords of nothing. (And the inclusion of Sam and Edmere injecting their 2 cents and then getting clowned were awkward and unnecessary)

At this very meeting, an imp tied up in chains as a prisoner is leading a decision regarding who should be King (wow, what a bunch of spineless Lords). He chooses Bran and they all heed his suggestion. Then, instead of getting a sentence, he -- a Lannister -- is demanded to be the King's Hand rather than punished (mind you, Jon, a nobleman with kinship to the Lords present, is not given same treatment). The unsullied is content with this. This all was ridiculous, IMO.

The Unsullied, spending years following their Queen in battle to Westeros, see their Queen killed and are easily convinced to sail away to other lands. OK, bro.

Ary and Sansa, going to great lengths to fight and seek revenge for family for 8 seasons, decide to accept banishing Jon to the Night's Watch despite Bran now being King who just pardoned Tyrion - a f'ing Lannister. Furthermore, Arya and her great love of Jon and her Stark family, decides to abandon her family on a voyage to NOWHERE. Sansa and Bran love Jon, are so grateful for all he's done,and who now have tremendous power, but then justify his sentence as a necessary compromise. Warden of the North, heir to the Iron Trone that helped saved Westeros, will again be forced to live like a peasant in blue-balls Hell despite killing on his family's/hand direction and his family now being the King/Queen of Westeros/North. ROFL.

Dany finds herself with no guards in sight at the Iron Throne. Jon goes from a Dany sycophant to someone willing to kill her in a span of 6 minutes because of a conversation with Tyrion. Then Drogon for no apparent reason sets the iron throne ablaze.

Jon says goodbye to his "family" at the docks and it never occurs to them "hey, you don't have to do this, we're the King and Queen of Westeros and the North!" Hard to invoke a sincere emotional response form viewers over a goodbye that is ridiculously implausible.

Brienne mysteriously has access to adulterate Jaime's Wikipedia page.

Martin did say a big thing for him was showing evil/honor were ambiguous. Fair enough. The issue is characters were pawns in plot service, creating twists for the sake of twists itself. It's one thing to not have the endings you had in mind for these characters that you had in mind. The bigger thing was forcing characters and plots to an ending.

People having to justify and rationalize behavior proves your point that the last two seasons consisted of characters acting merely to service the plot.

What made the books and the first 5 or so seasons so amazing was that, despite existing in a world with dragons, knights, and magic, there was truth to the way the characters behaved and the way the consequences followed prior actions.

All that went away in Seasons 7 and 8. The characters choices seemed untrue and illogical, and completely inconsistent with what we were told in prior 6 seasons.

I was not happy with references that the show "foreshadowed" Dany's madness, as if we are to ignore all of the other character development, including the sacrifices she made for the North and the compassion she had for her friends and displaced/oppressed.

What they did to Dany based on "foreshadowing" would be similar to:

Turning Arya into a mad serial killer after she kills the Night King because there were scenes foreshadowing how she took pleasure in killing. After all, not all of the people in the House of Frey were guilty. Then, based on someone saying that Arya has gone mad, having Jon kill her. Would that not erase all prior 7 seasons of character development?

Or turning Sansa into another Ramsay Bolton after she is made Queen because there were scenes foreshadowing how she takes pleasure in cruel punishment. After all, she took pleasure in watching Ramsay being eaten by dogs and having Littlefinger killed without a real trial. Then, after someone saying that Sansa has gone mad, having Jon kill her. Would that not erase all their prior experiences and all prior 7 seasons of character development?

None of that would feel true even if someone could argue that they were foreshadowing this. It would not feel true because there was not enough story development where, even if we wished those things did not happen, it would still feel true to what we had seen as a strong possibility.

Subverting expectation does not make it clever or interesting. I would not have been impressed if they subverted expectations and turned every Stark into frogs. No one would have expected that, and it would have felt untrue and nonsensical.
For me, Dany breaking bad was a more likely possibility than anything you raised here, though I agree the cause-and-effect was not as clear as it could have been.
sycasey
dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

But why would he want that or any other result? He would seem to be indifferent.
I don't know that it's a question of him wanting it or not? Tyrion suggested him and the rest of the council voted for him. He just accepted it.
TheSouseFamily
Jon Snow's lineage did matter ultimately. It's what convinced Jon that he'd always be perceived as a threat to Dany and that she could easily off him because of it. This was the argument that others (Tyrion, Arya and Sansa) were making and he finally accepted it in the end. Absent the lineage, I don't think he ever kills Dany.
sycasey
TheSouseFamily said:

Jon Snow's lineage did matter ultimately. It's what convinced Jon that he'd always be perceived as a threat to Dany and that she could easily off him because of it. This was the argument that others (Tyrion, Arya and Sansa) were making and he finally accepted it in the end. Absent the lineage, I don't think he ever kills Dany.
Yes, it did matter but not in the way people expected. It was more of a burden than a benefit.

Which seems like the kind of thing George RR Martin would do.
dbklalw
sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

I don't know that it's a question of him wanting it or not? Tyrion suggested him and the rest of the council voted for him. He just accepted it.
But he knew it would be suggested by Tyrion, which is why he came in the first place. So he did want it.

I am debating this because you are intelligent and reasonable. This show was meant to please the 13+ million fans and not a nerdy lawyer like me.
GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

I don't agree - he didn't kill her out of self-preservation. It seemed clear to me that he killed her because he was afraid she'd do more harm than good to all the people of the world.
ducky23
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I don't agree - he didn't kill her out of self-preservation. It seemed clear to me that he killed her because he was afraid she'd do more harm than good to all the people of the world.

Agreed. It would be completely out of character for Jon to kill her out of self preservation
bearister
ducky23 said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Agreed. It would be completely out of character for Jon to kill her out of self preservation

It would be like Melania poisoning the Mad King's cheeseburger.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
TheSouseFamily
GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Not that simple, I'd argue. It's not all one or the other. I agree that self-preservation isn't his guiding motive. But with his lineage known by the key players, it's not just him personally at risk but his entire family who think he's the rightful heir. As Tyrion says in the jail, "wouldn't you kill anyone that stands in the way of you and paradise?" And "there's nothing more dangerous than a rightful heir to the Iron Throne." Sure, he cares about all the people in the world being at risk, but also his family and all those who would support him as king. As long as Dany sees Jon's claim as a threat and as long as the Starks (and others) see Jon as the rightful heir, there will be no peace.. only more killing.
sycasey
dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

But he knew it would be suggested by Tyrion, which is why he came in the first place. So he did want it.

I am debating this because you are intelligent and reasonable. This show was meant to please the 13+ million fans and not a nerdy lawyer like me.
Well, this depends on how you see his "vision" powers (and the show left a lot open to interpretation). One possibility is that he sees what is about to happen and knows he can't do anything to change it. Or he sees many possibilities and knows this is a very likely one and maybe the least bad one. Something like that.
sycasey
ducky23 said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

He definitely did it for everyone, not just for himself.

But as was noted in the dialogue, he thought he might be able to prevent Dany from indulging in her worst impulses because of their love for one another. As Tyrion points out, though, his birthright was always going to be an issue and she would always see him as a threat. So in that sense it does matter -- it makes any reconciliation between the two characters virtually impossible.
GMP
TheSouseFamily said:

GMP said:

TheSouseFamily said:

Not that simple, I'd argue. It's not all one or the other. I agree that self-preservation isn't his guiding motive. But with his lineage known by the key players, it's not just him personally at risk but his entire family who think he's the rightful heir. As Tyrion says in the jail, "wouldn't you kill anyone that stands in the way of you and paradise?" And "there's nothing more dangerous than a rightful heir to the Iron Throne." Sure, he cares about all the people in the world being at risk, but also his family and all those who would support him as king. As long as Dany sees Jon's claim as a threat and as long as the Starks (and others) see Jon as the rightful heir, there will be no peace.. only more killing.
I agree with that, now that you've explained the point.
okaydo
TheSouseFamily said:

The D+D boys at least paid attention to subtle details of language and accents in their characters. They never would have had "Soviets" with British accents like on Chernobyl (which kinda ruins the entire show).

I've read an interview where they basically said that the Russian accents wouldn't work and would be too distracting.
ducky23
okaydo said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I've read an interview where they basically said that the Russian accents wouldn't work and would be too distracting.

I saw that somewhere too.

Anyone check out the cinemax show "warrior" based on Bruce lee's original concept

They went the hunt for red October route. Dudes speak English thru most of the show but switch to Chinese whenever in the presence of white dudes. It's fairly distracting.
okaydo
He complains about the showrunners working on Star Wars.

But as I pointed out upthread, the series finale script was handed out to the actors in October 2017, four months before Weiss and Benioff signed on for Star Wars.

Also, much of sports and NFL media -- including ESPN's Adam Schefter -- kept saying that this was Rodgers. First of all, if you paused it, it doesn't look like him at all.

But the NFL media should've known that Rodgers would never participate in a stunt involving him running and being near fire. (even if it's CGI). Patrick Mahomes isn't allowed to play basketball. I'm pretty sure that Rodgers has a restrictive contract, too, when it comes to endangering his body during the off-season.

Sebastabear
ducky23 said:

okaydo said:

TheSouseFamily said:

I saw that somewhere too.

Anyone check out the cinemax show "warrior" based on Bruce lee's original concept

They went the hunt for red October route. Dudes speak English thru most of the show but switch to Chinese whenever in the presence of white dudes. It's fairly distracting.
I've been watching Warrior. Done by the same guy who did Banshee on Cinemax. Both share a certain "style". It 'ain't exactly Citizen Kane but I'm enjoying it nevertheless.
bearister

I sent the author an email regarding some knowledge I had regarding an event in the book and he responded. Cool dude and book.
Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
okaydo
Do you think it was in bad taste for Rodgers to slam the show after producers let him have a cameo?

Most of the response to his comments have been positive, but some have questioned whether he should've made them...but that's why it's newsworthy, I guess.
GBear4Life
The season 8 GoT parodies are funny

TheSouseFamily
GBear4Life said:

That's freaking hilarious.
MoragaBear
Staff
Classic!
calbear93
TheSouseFamily said:

GBear4Life said:

And painfully on point. However, I guess I am one of the few who actually enjoyed the last season. With zombies and magical dragons, don't you have to suspend belief to enjoy the show?
calbear93
dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

dbklalw said:

sycasey said:

golden sloth said:

Maybe Bran was just the true evil mastermind. Jon was never the sharpest tool, and he would have been a disaster as a leader.
sycasey

sycasey
calbear93 said:

TheSouseFamily said:

GBear4Life said:

And painfully on point. However, I guess I am one of the few who actually enjoyed the last season. With zombies and magical dragons, don't you have to suspend belief to enjoy the show?
Yeah, I think I just figured out quickly that things were going to happen super fast and just rolled with it.

I get why people are thrown by it, since it's definitely very different from the show's original pace.
ducky23
sycasey said:

First off, the ending to some kind of wonderful is probably my favorite ending of all time (the end to pretty in pink isn't bad either - omd still believes "if you leave" ruined their careers, but it's still a f'ing great song)

Second, real genius isn't even a John Hughes movie. So I'm not sure whether this twitter guy is trying to be ironic or is just a moron (btw real genius - awesome ending as well).
sycasey
ducky23 said:

sycasey said:

First off, the ending to some kind of wonderful is probably my favorite ending of all time (the end to pretty in pink isn't bad either - omd still believes "if you leave" ruined their careers, but it's still a f'ing great song)

Second, real genius isn't even a John Hughes movie. So I'm not sure whether this twitter guy is trying to be ironic or is just a moron (btw real genius - awesome ending as well).
Wow, harsh. I think he's just doing a kind of generic "80s teen movie" ending, which is something people associate with John Hughes regardless of whether or not he wrote or directed the movie. Using "Everybody Wants To Rule the World" seems like something chosen as thematically appropriate for GoT rather than a direct reference to Real Genius.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.