hate to be the bearer of bad news....Ole Miss kickoff is 1100 CDT on ESPN U

12,623 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by calumnus
okaydo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
hanky1 said:

Playing a game at 9 AM PST gives Ole Miss a pretty big advantage

I think having played a 9 am game just 2 years ago, I think Wilcox will be ready. And he'll have the boys ready.
Golden One
Fyght4Cal said:

Big C said:

oskirules said:

CALiforniALUM said:

OMFG. Can nothing please us? Too late....too early. What is it?
Who's complaining? The OP is an Ole Miss fan.

I'm complaining.

1. That's an early start for players who live on Pacific Time. It's a minor disadvantage for us.

2. (not really for me, because I was considering the trip, but decided to pass) For many Cal folks going to the game, a major appeal is experiencing the Grove, which is primarily a pre-game affair (post-game, too, but to a lesser extent). It will still be happenin', but for a shorter time and with lesser intensity, plus the need to get up early that morning (lots of people staying in Memphis, etc.)

As far as the "Too late? Too early? What is it?" rationale, yes, there is such a thing as the RIGHT time for this game to start, which would be somewhere between 1:00 and 4:00, maybe even an evening game.
Not sure you noticed, but the Bears practice in the morning, before classes. So, they'll be ready. Let this 2017 Morning Glory reminder remove all doubt:

PS. My sincere apologies to the Colonel for boothing this most timely and courteous post.
The heat and humidity in Oxford will be a much bigger problem for the Bears than the game time.
Sebastabear
89 degrees, 62% humidity, 40% chance of rain for our game now (take it with a huge grain of salt this far out). On the bright side it's going to be 97 degrees this Friday so it could be worse.
Strykur
Sebastabear said:

89 degrees, 62% humidity, 40% chance of rain for our game now (take it with a huge grain of salt this far out). On the bright side it's going to be 97 degrees this Friday so it could be worse.
Damn hard read 2 weeks out, so who knows...
cal83dls79
71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Not going to get too specific here (for somewhat obvious reasons) but the team will not be in Memphis. They will be closer. The donor group and the AD are staying in Memphis. Yes they will leave right after the game. Pretty sure this start time makes Justin Wilcox happy.
Of course, it makes JW happy. It is a real plus Cal. With the ASU game looming, I was hoping for an early KO in Mississippi. Obviously, a pain in the neck for fans who are staying out of town but a much better deal for the players........
please explain how this is a better deal for the players. I think at best it's a push. Ole Miss Fans will be in full cocktail force as we are on a highway or lost in the Grove. Thankfully I have no idea where I am sitting as my niece from Vandy has many friends down here that had extras. I actually like sitting in the opposing teams section in the south. Good folk. Let's win!
Keeping players on a routine regarding rest, academics, practice, etc. is paramount. Getting back to Berkeley Saturday evening rather than 3:00am on Sunday is a major plus, particularly when they face a short week due to the Friday night game.
I see that but as far as this week and this game....:? In that respect I'm not seeing an advantage
Because, following the Mississippi game, Cal comes home to play ASU on Friday night.
I'm in agreement, was just seeing how this schedule is advantageous to this Saturday. The grove tailgate thing is a day thing and that was blown up. I think I'm in a Vandy like Winnebago heading down game day
71Bear
cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

PNot going to get too specific here (for somewhat obvious reasons) but the team will not be in Memphis. They will be closer. The donor group and the AD are staying in Memphis. Yes they will leave right after the game. Pretty sure this start time makes Justin Wilcox happy.
Of course, it makes JW happy. It is a real plus Cal. With the ASU game looming, I was hoping for an early KO in Mississippi. Obviously, a pain in the neck for fans who are staying out of town but a much better deal for the players........
please explain how this is a better deal for the players. I think at best it's a push. Ole Miss Fans will be in full cocktail force as we are on a highway or lost in the Grove. Thankfully I have no idea where I am sitting as my niece from Vandy has many friends down here that had extras. I actually like sitting in the opposing teams section in the south. Good folk. Let's win!
Keeping players on a routine regarding rest, academics, practice, etc. is paramount. Getting back to Berkeley Saturday evening rather than 3:00am on Sunday is a major plus, particularly when they face a short week due to the Friday night game.
I see that but as far as this week and this game....:? In that respect I'm not seeing an advantage
Because, following the Mississippi game, Cal comes home to play ASU on Friday night.
I'm in agreement, was just seeing how this schedule is advantageous to this Saturday. The grove tailgate thing is a day thing and that was blown up. I think I'm in a Vandy like Winnebago heading down game day
Yeah. From a fans perspective, it sucks. A night game would have been far better re: tailgating and weather. Heck, I remember sitting in that frying pan of a stadium at noon at Maryland and it was miserable.
cal83dls79
71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Not going to get too specific here (for somewhat obvious reasons) but the team will not be in Memphis. They will be closer. The donor group and the AD are staying in Memphis. Yes they will leave right after the game. Pretty sure this start time makes Justin Wilcox happy.
you are focused on next week. Was asking how this gives us an advantage this Saturday. Go Bears!
TheSouseFamily
Sebastabear said:

I mentioned this on the insider board a while back but I'll mention it here too.

the key thing to keep an eye on weather-wise is the dew point. Dew point is way more relevant to comfort than temp or relative humidity. Below a dew point of 60, it's comfortable. Between 60 and 70, it's muggy. Above 70, it's oppressive. And that holds true whether the temp is 75 degrees in the morning or 90 in the afternoon. Dew point in Berkeley tomorrow is mid-50s and I'll bet it's comfortable. Dew point in Oxfurd tomorrow is 74-76 which is extremely miserable even though the temp is only around 90.

The high dew point is critical to comfort because it slows the rate at which sweat can evaporate, which is how we cool down. Could be a major factor for both fans and players.

For more on why: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2013/07/08/weather-weenies-prefer-dew-point-over-relative-humidity-and-you-should-too/
cal83dls79
Dew point? Tell me about it. When you can't grind salt it's a culinary disaster. We set aside a pantry with a dehumidifier. Im sure the guys will figure it out
hanky1
cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

you are focused on next week. Was asking how this gives us an advantage this Saturday. Go Bears!

It is a distinct disadvantage this week. Yet some people are already overlooking this game and focusing all their attention on next week.
TheSouseFamily
cal83dls79 said:

Dew point? Tell me about it. When you can't grind salt it's a culinary disaster. We set aside a pantry with a dehumidifier. Im sure the guys will figure it out

It's not so bad if you don't mind an all-day sweat glaze that covers your entire body. Fortunately, I've never had any issues grinding salt.
71Bear
cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

Ah-ha! It doesn't. I was looking after the Miss. game not before. Since Cal is playing at home on Saturday afternoon, the game time the following week has no effect on this week.
GBear4Life
71Bear said:

GBear4Life said:

71Bear said:

Don't really think that matters. Sunday is a rest day/do nothing day either way
Evidently you do not understand how important routine (practicing, academics, rest, etc.) is to athletes. No problem, it isn't the first time (and probably would be the last time) you stepped in it.
Of course I do. You treat these guys like children. They'll be fine either way.
Sebastabear
Took a spin through the OM Spirit board (which I think is their main fan board). My observations:

1. Many commentators saying that Ole Miss asked for the 11:00 am slot to play maximum havoc with the Cal players' body clocks. They know the network ultimately decides the time but they said the school could request a time and it did. Weird if true. Don't think they know quite how early our team practices.

2. Many references to our lack of plastic straws. This seems to be an odd area of focus / fascination for much of the country.

3. Many comments to how 11:00 am was great for their chances of winning since the California boys would "melt" and several references to them beating Notre Dame in 1977 because it was hot. That seems like a long time to hold on to a weather memory.

4. The word "liberal" was used in at least 50% of the posts if not more.

5. What was most remarkable to me at least was what wasn't there. Namely any point of disagreement on any point. On our board you can't get two consecutive posts about anything (including such incredibly non-controversial topics as "Stanford sucks") without having several posters feel compelled to provide a "balanced" perspective. Must have gone through a dozen threads on OM Spirit and I didn't find one disagreeing with anything anyone said. It was like the Stepford wives all started a message board. I guess some could find it nice but I thought it was creepy. So disagree away me hearties.
71Bear
Sebastabear said:

Took a spin through the OM Spirit board (which I think is their main fan board). My observations:

1. Many commentators saying that Ole Miss asked for the 11:00 am slot to play maximum havoc with the Cal players' body clocks. They know the network ultimately decides the time but they said the school could request a time and it did. Weird if true. Don't think they know quite how early our team practices.

2. Many references to our lack of plastic straws. This seems to be an odd area of focus / fascination for much of the country.

3. Many comments to how 11:00 am was great for their chances of winning since the California boys would "melt" and several references to them beating Notre Dame in 1977 because it was hot. That seems like a long time to hold on to a weather memory.

5. What was most remarkable to me at least was what wasn't there. Namely any point of disagreement on any point. On our board you can't get two consecutive posts about anything (including such incredibly non-controversial topics as "Stanford sucks") without having several posters feel compelled to provide a "balanced" perspective. Must have gone through a dozen threads on OM Spirit and I didn't find one disagreeing with anything anyone said. It was like the Stepford wives all started a message board. I guess some could find it nice but I thought it was creepy. So disagree away me hearties.
#4...

What was the context in which word was being used?

For example, I certainly understand the following contexts...

"I think that you will find that I am a rather liberal drinker before games".
"I prefer a rather liberal use of the forward pass rather than a strong rushing attack."

Sebastabear
71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

#4...

What was the context in which word was being used?

For example, I certainly understand the following contexts...

"I think that you will find that I am a rather liberal drinker before games".
"I prefer a rather liberal use of the forward pass rather than a strong rushing attack."

Yeah, that wasn't it but I would have preferred your version.
Big C
I'm tellin' ya: Early Halloween this year... all Cal fans in Oxford dress as hippies. Peace.
Sebastabear
Big C said:

I'm tellin' ya: Early Halloween this year... all Cal fans in Oxford dress as hippies. Peace.
I bought a tie-dye bow tie from Etsy. Several in fact. They have a bear on them. Thinking of handing them out at the game.
bearister
okaydo said:

This is the only game this season that I'm planning to drink (unless we somehow keep winning). So I'm fine with a 9 am kickoff.

But I feel sorry for those attending the Cal tailgate at Patrick Swayze Field, especially with it being the 10th anniversary of Swayze's death this month.

Vaya con Dios Field came in second place.

Cancel my subscription to the Resurrection
Send my credentials to the House of Detention
I got some friends inside
MustangReb
Sebastabear said:

To point 5, the one word I would never use to describe the Ole Miss Spirit is "balanced".

It's pretty much a purely "homer" site at this point and is almost dogmatically conservative, resistant to any criticism of a coach, etc. The Ole Miss site on Rivals (Rebelgrove.com) is much more balanced but, sadly, the forum that is active is premium only.
bearsandgiants
I'm expecting to have the time of my life, and I will owe it all to Ole Miss.
Sebastabear
MustangReb said:

Sebastabear said:

To point 5, the one word I would never use to describe the Ole Miss Spirit is "balanced".

It's pretty much a purely "homer" site at this point and is almost dogmatically conservative, resistant to any criticism of a coach, etc. The Ole Miss site on Rivals (Rebelgrove.com) is much more balanced but, sadly, the forum that is active is premium only.
Ah, that makes more sense. It was bizarrely lock step. Kind of freaked me out.
Don'tDance
Colonel,

Looks like stadium policies won't even let us bring in sealed bottles of water? Are there are least water filling stations?
TheSouseFamily
Don'tDance said:

Colonel,

Looks like stadium policies won't even let us bring in sealed bottles of water? Are there are least water filling stations?

There will be a plethora of "vodka water" filling stations out in the Grove.
mbBear
ColoradoBear said:

mbBear said:

71Bear said:

Crusty old Colonel said:

this sucks donkeys.....

LSU at Vanderbilt, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Tennessee at Florida, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2 or SEC Network*
Southern Mississippi at Alabama, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPN or ESPN2*
California at Ole Miss, 12 pm ET/11 am CT on ESPNU
Auburn at Texas A&M, 3:30 pm ET/2:30 pm CT on CBS
Kentucky at Mississippi State, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
South Carolina at Missouri, 4 pm ET/3 pm CT on SEC Network or SEC Network Alternate*
San Jose State at Arkansas, 7:30 pm ET/6:30 pm CT on SEC Network
Notre Dame at Georgia, 8 pm ET/7 pm CT on CBS

Actually, this is good news...

Cal plays ASU on the following Friday night. An early road game gets the Bears back to Berkeley early Saturday evening rather than the middle of the night thus allowing Cal to get back to their normal schedule Sunday morning.
Exactly. The scheduling of a Friday night game following their longest road trip was brutal, especially if they are unusually drained from the weather...this does help some.

It's a little overboard to call it brutal. Not optimal, sure. Not really liking the tendancy of Cal fans to repeatedly every little thing and make them into seemingly major competitive issues.

That said, I think the heat could be a big issue,but then consider what Boise did to FSU in swampy Tallahassee. They were in much better conditioned than the Noles and it showed (not too big of a stretch to say a coach that gives his players rhabdo to toughen them up might not know as much as he needs to about tathleric training).

Mea Cupla. The words on the page came out stronger than it is in my head. I really wanted to say "dumb" to be honest. But maybe it won't matter at all, if the weather isn't too bad, and that game isn't that tough physically.
MustangReb
Don'tDance said:

Colonel,

Stadium chart showing locations of cooling stations and complimentary water.
Crusty old Colonel
Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, had to make a quick road trip to Oxford and back....

I'm actually not sure about water stations, but if you buy the souvenir drink cup you get unlimited ice and drink refills ...the map linked earlier looks accurate
JSC 76
Does the stadium have a clear bag only policy?
Don'tDance
JSC 76 said:

Does the stadium have a clear bag only policy?
Yes. All their policies are online. http://olemissgameday.com/football/stadium-policies/
okaydo
Sebastabear said:

I don't follow Mike Leach on Twitter but, for some reason, I follow Lane Kiffin.

A few weeks ago he tweeted this in reaction to a Mike Leach tweet about plastic straws. It must be a Fox News talking point.

(I've been thinking a lot about the Lane tweet because I think the plastic bag ban is great.)

zorbarick
Having recovered at least somewhat from the disappointment of finding out the game is at 11:00, I did some digging around to try to figure out what that would mean for tailgating in The Grove (how early, before and after the game, etc.). I cannot vouch for the accuracy of what I found, but it was from 2018, so it shouldn't be too out of date. Here's what a site called "Parents of Ole Miss" had to say:

The "Schedule"

It depends on the time of the game, but when to show up in the Grove/how long to stay/when to call it quits this all varies with kickoff times. The three most common game times are 11am, 2:30pm and 6pm. Here's the usual "Grove schedule" for each of these game times (this is not an official schedule, it's just a recommendation based off our almost 20 years' experience attending the Grove and Ole Miss Football games):

11am game:
Most people arrive at the Grove around 8/8:30am, head to the stadium around 10:15/1030am, then back to the Grove after the game (around 3pm) for a couple of hours. Usual food includes light breakfast options and chicken tenders/dips for post-game.
calumnus
Bear8 said:

Looks like we have to get up at 6:30 in Memphis, leave at 7:30 for Oxford, which is 84 miles away, and get there by 9 a.m. If so, you'll have time to visit the Grove and drink something? Get to your seats by 10:30 and see the pre-game stuff. If it's humid and hot, we miss the worst of the day and finish by 2 p.m.

Check the weather. 11 to 2 (full noon sun) is "the worst of the day" it starts cooling off at 2.
calumnus
cal83dls79 said:

Ha, I was JUST cooking dinner and dealing with this very issue. I live in Guam and it is "rainy season" where are you?
calumnus
hanky1 said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

cal83dls79 said:

71Bear said:

Sebastabear said:

It is a distinct disadvantage this week. Yet some people are already overlooking this game and focusing all their attention on next week.

Exactly. And the advantage for next week is negligible compared to the disadvantage this week.

However, we are in first place and ASU is a Pac-12 game and Ole Miss isn't, so if our goal is winning the Pac-12 (as opposed to reaching bowl eligibility) then it is good. Otherwise it is bad.
cal83dls79
calumnus said:

cal83dls79 said:

Ha, I was JUST cooking dinner and dealing with this very issue. I live in Guam and it is "rainy season" where are you?
Maine, where the weather changes by the minute. I lived in Houston as well but mostly in the East Bay/oakland. The humidity here is off the charts on days. Coincidentally and perhaps tragically my Dad served in WWII and was part of the US Marine Guam invasion. Maybe a risky move to divulge that but there it is. He didn't talk about it much. What brings you there?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.