So are there any rumors on replacement OCs?

29,193 Views | 184 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GBear4Life
killa22
How long do you want to ignore this user?
kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

kad02002 said:

Brennan Marion. Unique run-based offense and a young guy with Bay Area connections.
What's your opinion of his offense?
I have only watched it briefly and listened to a little clip of him explaining it. I think it fills some criteria that would work at Cal. It looks like a strong identity (as opposed to a multiple offense, which I am always wary of at this level), and a unique identity - shotgun with two backs offset to one side. This creates some very interesting run game/option flexibility, with both the triple and lead options available to the strong side, QB lead with two lead blockers in that direction, plus easy to go backside with a lead blocker. The gun element with 2-3 receivers also means that you shouldn't be pigeon-holed in recruiting as an under center option team might be.
This would also fit Garbers' skill set in the short term, and get back to taking advantage of the Bay Area, which has consistently produced top level running backs.
I don't like if he is 100% firm on being up tempo all of the time. I can't know that. I don't think this meshes with what Wilcox does. However, the potential of the run game element has me excited.
Long story short, Baldwin's offense tried to run, but I did not see how it had a systematic approach to doing so. An offense like this does. It is at the forefront of innovation and would be unique to defend, which are both enticing for a program like Cal's.
I'll probably look more later and see if I can pick up anything else. For what it's worth, I was also impressed with how he teaches in the short clip I watched.
Forefront of innovation? Nope.

Unique to defend? Probably, but not in the way you think it is.

Hard pass.
Conclusory statements? Yes.
Explanations? No.
Mind reader? Apparently.

Do tell, what is an innovative offense?
Running what essentially is a combination of conventional 21 I Run Game (Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Duo, and Power) out of an unconventional two back set is definitely not innovative. Perhaps the marriage of that to triple option elements could be? But then again that's nothing hugely novel. At that point you might just want to go all in and take the service academy route -- never win a conf championship but be a total pain in the ass to the rest of the conference (like AFA in the MWC).

That dudes stuff is what you would call creative repackaging, at best.

Innovative to me, by comparison would be say Tedford's adaptation of spread concepts, particularly the screen game to pro-set personnel groupings and formations back in the early 2000's.

Or, on a different spectrum, Art Briles use of extreme splits and 10 personnel groupings with mauler sized OL to run the ball on light boxes and then attack with play action downfield utilizing run and shoot principles with vertical choice reads.

Likewise, the Air Raid Six Concept (Verticals) -- as adapted by Dykes and Holgerson at TTU then popularized throughout all of HS football, the entire Big 12, and then seen live this year destroy our defense (by USC). That was another huge innovative leap.

Im Air Raid partial -- but if you view the 1.0 version of that scheme with Mumme and Leach as the evolution of the west coast, adapted to the spread, then the 2.0 version is really what has happened over the last six-seven years as Dykes, Holgerson, Kingsbury, Harrell etc. have adapted the offense to RPOS, Play Action, Zone and Gap Runs, Screen Game, Screen-Pass Option elements etc.

Innovative would thereby also be the Run and Shoot 2.0 as run recently by Hawaii -- adapting QB run and RPO elements married to the core Run and Shoot Passing Game -- major weakness therein in my eyes is the inability of that scheme to contend with drop 8 using only 4 out in a pattern.

Innovation would also be the prevalence of Four Strong route concepts and rule breakers as used by Kingsbury and then copied verbatim by Joe Brady and employed at LSU.

I could go on in further detail on a specific concept by concept basis. But in my eyes, that W&M stuff is not what I would classify as innovative or uniquely difficult to defend. That's just repackaged 21 -- throw numbers in the box, be assignment sound, and have contingency assignments to counter. If your personnel matchup you can win -- I am not threatened by any pass game that could arise from that set.

Even Wilcox would just alternate between living in Man Free or potentially pattern match 3 mixing in run blitzes. That **** would get shut down quick.

Contending with rule breaking, space eating pass concepts that adjust on the fly to what you are doing -- while also having to contain the QB as a run threat and throwing sufficient numbers at the box to stop the rb, while also having to throw numbers and pass rush diversity at the QB to disrupt timing, while also having to cover down to stop the screen game, and also having to mix up presnap depth at DB to eliminate the quick game.

That's a much bigger challenge for any DC.

Don't get me wrong, I love the air raid and it's history, I love the run and shoot, it's all good stuff even if I don't think it's the best here. But you are basically saying that what is essentially generic spread at this point is innovative while a two offset back shotgun option offense is not. Repackaging is innovation. Briles and his extreme splits and stacks - cool. How is that more innovative? 4 verts? Yes, it's cool how good the Air Raid guys got at it, but my freshman football team was running that in 1998. A spread offensive coach saying that he also wants to run? Wow...that's 75% of the teams in the country.
Put another way: you criticized this guy's offense as "creative repackaging," and proceeded to describe a bunch of creative repackaging, which you labeled as "innovative."
It's all semantics. Ignoring any "innovative" argument, let me put it this way. I haven't seen any other major college doing what this guy is doing in the way he is doing it. It appears to be based on sound principles. Schematically, it also appears to be a good fit for Cal's talent base.
That's certainly a fair argument. I suppose it comes down in some ways to personal preference -- that's usually the dividing factor in offensive taste regardless. Bi-product of the cult-like level of attachment that offensive coaches develop with the schemes to which they align with.

All offenses are basically creatively repackaging of things that have been done before. But the problem I have with W&M stuff is that there is no real run-pass conflict created, nor is that conflict necessarily made in true space. My criticism would divulge from my belief from a defensive standpoint that I could easily stop it.

I get that the general consensus of this fan base is to now attempt to play small ball -- largely in part to the bad aftertaste left w/ Sonny's all offense approach.

I do believe that we need to be able to have an effective passing game that sets up the run rather than the other way around -- this is a largely a contrarian view here, but that's the way I would do it. Id rather build my constraint package around the pass game than attempt to built a constraint passing game around the run.

Repackaging, as you noted is innovation, but the specific application herein exemplified by W&M truly is just 21 I run game mixed with option elements run from the gun -- there is little to no spatial difference achieved relative to the other schematic instances cited above.

The idea of reading and attacking coverage on the fly is infinitely more innovative than that, by itself.
MiltyBear
Troy Taylor fits the range of an OC resume we can reasonably expect, and maybe even above that a bit given his speciality with QBs. I wouldn't mind hearing his name called. Are there better options maybe but TT would be a solid hire for me.
NYCGOBEARS
Troy Taylor is not leaving Sac State to be our OC this year. He's not going to bounce on them like that.
Rushinbear
71Bear said:

Rushinbear said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

Well, I think it is pretty clear that Troy Taylor has been successful as a coach everywhere he went, except perhaps to a place in Utah where the coach did not like his style of offense and ran him out - the same way he ran out every other offensive coordinator there.

Which is the outlier here - the guy who demands a slow, plodding offense that regularly lays an egg in a big-time game or the guy who consistently builds programs and moves them to the next level?

I am sure that Taylor will not be the coach at Cal but I can be sure that he will get a MW job soon or something similar and move up from there quickly.

Exactly, Whittingham went through 9 OCs in 11 seasons at Utah. Maybe the problem was him, not his OCs, and not Taylor...
Quote:

But Taylor was never going to stay here. He was going to join a long list nine in 11 years of former offensive coordinators at Utah, the place where guys who love running Whittingham's offense are either fired or move on as quickly as they can.
The article linked above that was critical of Troy is from a local paper and might have been biased towards Whittingham, arguably the most important sports figure in the state of Utah. Taylor was the newcomer from CA in an insular local culture...

Troy was the OC, QB coach and called the plays for Eastern Washington under Baldwin in 2016, where the program had its best record in 20 years. From his wiki page:

Quote:

On February 18, 2016, Taylor was announced as the Passing Game Coordinator, Quarterbacks coach and play caller for Eastern Washington.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-12][12]
[/url]
At EWU Taylor called plays and took an already stellar offense to new heights as they set 2 all-time FCS records for passing yards (5,160 yards) and total offense (5,766 yards) in a season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-13][13]
[/url]
Taylor was instrumental in helping former walk on quarterback Gage Gubrud into a record setting QB who broke the all-time single season FCS passing record and broke the all-time record in total offense. Gubrud also won FCS player of the year from numerous sites along with Big Sky Conference co-MVP (with teammate Cooper Kupp) and also having the only team to have 3 wide receivers over 1,000 yards in the season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-14][14]
[/url]
Gubrud also set 16 school records, 7 Big sky records and 2 FCS records all while getting the Big Sky conference championship and going undefeated in conference play. They improved in almost every offensive statistical category in his first year.

A notable win came in the first game of the season against Washington State where they won 45-42 and set a school record for total offense.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-15][15][/url]
Taylor is a proven QB mentor/developer, his QBs who have been record-setting performers everywhere he went, at Folsom High and EWU:
Quote:

Taylor coached Washington quarterback Jake Browning since he was in 5th grade up until his senior year in high school where he set the national touchdown record in a career with 229 TD passes while also tying a record of 91 touchdown passes in a single season all while going 16-0 with 16 running clocks and a D1 state championship.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-10][10][/url]

His offense at Folsom broke the state in passing for 4 straight years and set a state record for most points scored in a season, a record that still stands today.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-11][11][/url]
There is no question that he is a great QB coach. Our QBs underperforming this season and the last has been one of the main reasons our program has sputtered. As well, Baldwin rode the success of Taylor's offense in 2016 into the Cal OC job.

Taylor has always been a cerebral football guy, he did very well at Cal despite lacking physical attributes, he came in as a skinny freshman and performed well, sort of the opposite of a Kyle Boller, who was a physical phenom but lacked QB intangibles. His cerebral nature and understanding of the game and the QB position is the main reason he was the best Cal QB in the 1980s. Those are the kind of qualities that translate into good mentors and coaches.

Taylor also has deep ties in NorCal, which will be essential in retaining local talent, especially top QBs and receivers. JW has built enough credibility on the defensive side of the ball, Taylor would add that element on offense.

All in all, it's a perfect fit. The criticism of guys like 71B are not well-founded here.

You lost me in your first paragraph because it was the reverse of what you wrote. In other words, Taylor rode the success of the Baldwin offense. Baldwin was the mastermind (and head coach) at EWU.

Of those who advocate for Taylor, I wonder how many would be doing so if his diploma read Stanford instead of Berkeley as the school from which he graduated.

I am counting on Wilcox to find the best candidate not the best candidate who happened to graduate from Cal.
FWIW, BB's "mastermind" did what for our O? I don't know that TT should be our guy, but any plus/minus comparison with BB is 3 years in our rearview mirror. Meanwhile, Sac St.

If JW wants TT, it's still a matter of TT's long term career aspirations. He may see us as BB did - if it works here, JW may move up and out, thereby creating a chance to a Cal hc promotion. That may not be enough to take a backward step, $$$ or no.
I believe I said that Baldwin masterminded the O at EWU. I never implied he did the same at Cal. A5 Cal, he was the OC (which is a step down from being the mastermind ).
And, what I said was that mastermind that was BB didn't have a mastermind performance at Cal. So, who may or may not have been responsible for EWU's success is irrelevant to us, now.

What I know is that BB didn't work here, meanwhile TT raised Sac St big time.
Pigskin Pete
kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

Hard pass.
Explanations? No.
Mind reader? Apparently.

You haven't figure it out from his 800 other posts on the subject?
Pigskin Pete
OaktownBear said:

Hiring Joe Kapp was stupid. People advocating for players with no coaching experience is stupid. I'll say it again. It is stupid to want unqualified coaches because they played or coached at Cal. It is equally stupid to disqualify qualified coaches for the same reason.
One thing about hiring Cal coaches.

It's often assumed that coaches that went to Cal will do a better job of selling Cal in recruiting because they have more innate enthusiasm for the university. In practice, I'm hard pressed to think of an alum other than Lupoi that actually was able to do that and in light of his success at other universities, he was just a good recruiter period.
Rushinbear
killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

kad02002 said:

Brennan Marion. Unique run-based offense and a young guy with Bay Area connections.
I have only watched it briefly and listened to a little clip of him explaining it. I think it fills some criteria that would work at Cal. It looks like a strong identity (as opposed to a multiple offense, which I am always wary of at this level), and a unique identity - shotgun with two backs offset to one side. This creates some very interesting run game/option flexibility, with both the triple and lead options available to the strong side, QB lead with two lead blockers in that direction, plus easy to go backside with a lead blocker. The gun element with 2-3 receivers also means that you shouldn't be pigeon-holed in recruiting as an under center option team might be.
This would also fit Garbers' skill set in the short term, and get back to taking advantage of the Bay Area, which has consistently produced top level running backs.
I don't like if he is 100% firm on being up tempo all of the time. I can't know that. I don't think this meshes with what Wilcox does. However, the potential of the run game element has me excited.
Long story short, Baldwin's offense tried to run, but I did not see how it had a systematic approach to doing so. An offense like this does. It is at the forefront of innovation and would be unique to defend, which are both enticing for a program like Cal's.
I'll probably look more later and see if I can pick up anything else. For what it's worth, I was also impressed with how he teaches in the short clip I watched.

Hard pass.
Explanations? No.
Mind reader? Apparently.

Running what essentially is a combination of conventional 21 I Run Game (Inside Zone, Outside Zone, Duo, and Power) out of an unconventional two back set is definitely not innovative. Perhaps the marriage of that to triple option elements could be? But then again that's nothing hugely novel. At that point you might just want to go all in and take the service academy route -- never win a conf championship but be a total pain in the ass to the rest of the conference (like AFA in the MWC).

Innovative to me, by comparison would be say Tedford's adaptation of spread concepts, particularly the screen game to pro-set personnel groupings and formations back in the early 2000's.

Or, on a different spectrum, Art Briles use of extreme splits and 10 personnel groupings with mauler sized OL to run the ball on light boxes and then attack with play action downfield utilizing run and shoot principles with vertical choice reads.

Likewise, the Air Raid Six Concept (Verticals) -- as adapted by Dykes and Holgerson at TTU then popularized throughout all of HS football, the entire Big 12, and then seen live this year destroy our defense (by USC). That was another huge innovative leap.

Im Air Raid partial -- but if you view the 1.0 version of that scheme with Mumme and Leach as the evolution of the west coast, adapted to the spread, then the 2.0 version is really what has happened over the last six-seven years as Dykes, Holgerson, Kingsbury, Harrell etc. have adapted the offense to RPOS, Play Action, Zone and Gap Runs, Screen Game, Screen-Pass Option elements etc.

Innovative would thereby also be the Run and Shoot 2.0 as run recently by Hawaii -- adapting QB run and RPO elements married to the core Run and Shoot Passing Game -- major weakness therein in my eyes is the inability of that scheme to contend with drop 8 using only 4 out in a pattern.

Innovation would also be the prevalence of Four Strong route concepts and rule breakers as used by Kingsbury and then copied verbatim by Joe Brady and employed at LSU.

I could go on in further detail on a specific concept by concept basis. But in my eyes, that W&M stuff is not what I would classify as innovative or uniquely difficult to defend. That's just repackaged 21 -- throw numbers in the box, be assignment sound, and have contingency assignments to counter. If your personnel matchup you can win -- I am not threatened by any pass game that could arise from that set.

Even Wilcox would just alternate between living in Man Free or potentially pattern match 3 mixing in run blitzes. That **** would get shut down quick.

Contending with rule breaking, space eating pass concepts that adjust on the fly to what you are doing -- while also having to contain the QB as a run threat and throwing sufficient numbers at the box to stop the rb, while also having to throw numbers and pass rush diversity at the QB to disrupt timing, while also having to cover down to stop the screen game, and also having to mix up presnap depth at DB to eliminate the quick game.

Don't get me wrong, I love the air raid and it's history, I love the run and shoot, it's all good stuff even if I don't think it's the best here. But you are basically saying that what is essentially generic spread at this point is innovative while a two offset back shotgun option offense is not. Repackaging is innovation. Briles and his extreme splits and stacks - cool. How is that more innovative? 4 verts? Yes, it's cool how good the Air Raid guys got at it, but my freshman football team was running that in 1998. A spread offensive coach saying that he also wants to run? Wow...that's 75% of the teams in the country.
Put another way: you criticized this guy's offense as "creative repackaging," and proceeded to describe a bunch of creative repackaging, which you labeled as "innovative."
It's all semantics. Ignoring any "innovative" argument, let me put it this way. I haven't seen any other major college doing what this guy is doing in the way he is doing it. It appears to be based on sound principles. Schematically, it also appears to be a good fit for Cal's talent base.
That's certainly a fair argument. I suppose it comes down in some ways to personal preference -- that's usually the dividing factor in offensive taste regardless. Bi-product of the cult-like level of attachment that offensive coaches develop with the schemes to which they align with.

All offenses are basically creatively repackaging of things that have been done before. But the problem I have with W&M stuff is that there is no real run-pass conflict created, nor is that conflict necessarily made in true space. My criticism would divulge from my belief from a defensive standpoint that I could easily stop it.

I get that the general consensus of this fan base is to now attempt to play small ball -- largely in part to the bad aftertaste left w/ Sonny's all offense approach.

I do believe that we need to be able to have an effective passing game that sets up the run rather than the other way around -- this is a largely a contrarian view here, but that's the way I would do it. Id rather build my constraint package around the pass game than attempt to built a constraint passing game around the run.

Repackaging, as you noted is innovation, but the specific application herein exemplified by W&M truly is just 21 I run game mixed with option elements run from the gun -- there is little to no spatial difference achieved relative to the other schematic instances cited above.

The idea of reading and attacking coverage on the fly is infinitely more innovative than that, by itself.
My first thought was it looks like the triple option from shotgun...without the quick hitters that make the to successful. He massages it a bit, but that just gives the qb a little more time if he's going to pass. The extra blocker out of the backfield is lost if he swings out for a flare anyway. This guy may have been spending too much time around Annapolis. I'd like to see this work at a higher competition level. Above average skills in a single player have more impact at HU and WM than at our level.
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

Well, I think it is pretty clear that Troy Taylor has been successful as a coach everywhere he went, except perhaps to a place in Utah where the coach did not like his style of offense and ran him out - the same way he ran out every other offensive coordinator there.

Which is the outlier here - the guy who demands a slow, plodding offense that regularly lays an egg in a big-time game or the guy who consistently builds programs and moves them to the next level?

I am sure that Taylor will not be the coach at Cal but I can be sure that he will get a MW job soon or something similar and move up from there quickly.

Exactly, Whittingham went through 9 OCs in 11 seasons at Utah. Maybe the problem was him, not his OCs, and not Taylor...
Quote:

But Taylor was never going to stay here. He was going to join a long list nine in 11 years of former offensive coordinators at Utah, the place where guys who love running Whittingham's offense are either fired or move on as quickly as they can.
The article linked above that was critical of Troy is from a local paper and might have been biased towards Whittingham, arguably the most important sports figure in the state of Utah. Taylor was the newcomer from CA in an insular local culture...

Troy was the OC, QB coach and called the plays for Eastern Washington under Baldwin in 2016, where the program had its best record in 20 years. From his wiki page:

Quote:

On February 18, 2016, Taylor was announced as the Passing Game Coordinator, Quarterbacks coach and play caller for Eastern Washington.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-12][12]
[/url]
At EWU Taylor called plays and took an already stellar offense to new heights as they set 2 all-time FCS records for passing yards (5,160 yards) and total offense (5,766 yards) in a season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-13][13]
[/url]
Taylor was instrumental in helping former walk on quarterback Gage Gubrud into a record setting QB who broke the all-time single season FCS passing record and broke the all-time record in total offense. Gubrud also won FCS player of the year from numerous sites along with Big Sky Conference co-MVP (with teammate Cooper Kupp) and also having the only team to have 3 wide receivers over 1,000 yards in the season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-14][14]
[/url]
Gubrud also set 16 school records, 7 Big sky records and 2 FCS records all while getting the Big Sky conference championship and going undefeated in conference play. They improved in almost every offensive statistical category in his first year.

A notable win came in the first game of the season against Washington State where they won 45-42 and set a school record for total offense.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-15][15][/url]
Taylor is a proven QB mentor/developer, his QBs who have been record-setting performers everywhere he went, at Folsom High and EWU:
Quote:

Taylor coached Washington quarterback Jake Browning since he was in 5th grade up until his senior year in high school where he set the national touchdown record in a career with 229 TD passes while also tying a record of 91 touchdown passes in a single season all while going 16-0 with 16 running clocks and a D1 state championship.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-10][10][/url]

His offense at Folsom broke the state in passing for 4 straight years and set a state record for most points scored in a season, a record that still stands today.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-11][11][/url]
There is no question that he is a great QB coach. Our QBs underperforming this season and the last has been one of the main reasons our program has sputtered. As well, Baldwin rode the success of Taylor's offense in 2016 into the Cal OC job.

Taylor has always been a cerebral football guy, he did very well at Cal despite lacking physical attributes, he came in as a skinny freshman and performed well, sort of the opposite of a Kyle Boller, who was a physical phenom but lacked QB intangibles. His cerebral nature and understanding of the game and the QB position is the main reason he was the best Cal QB in the 1980s. Those are the kind of qualities that translate into good mentors and coaches.

Taylor also has deep ties in NorCal, which will be essential in retaining local talent, especially top QBs and receivers. JW has built enough credibility on the defensive side of the ball, Taylor would add that element on offense.

All in all, it's a perfect fit. The criticism of guys like 71B are not well-founded here.

You lost me in your first paragraph because it was the reverse of what you wrote. In other words, Taylor rode the success of the Baldwin offense. Baldwin was the mastermind (and head coach) at EWU.

Of those who advocate for Taylor, I wonder how many would be doing so if his diploma read Stanford instead of Berkeley as the school from which he graduated.

I am counting on Wilcox to find the best candidate not the best candidate who happened to graduate from Cal.
1. Not a fair question. Stanford sucks. Let's say it said SJSU instead.

2. For those who advocated for Beau Baldwin for 3 years and was clearly okay with his return if not actively wanting that, I wonder how many would be dead set against an OC who kicked Baldwin's ass in every offensive category as an OC in the Pac-12 if that OC's diploma read anything other than Cal.

About Taylor:

In 2012, he returned to Folsom High as co-head coach of football, during the 4-year period he was there the bulldogs went 58-3 winning 4 consecutive section championships and a state title.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-faraudo2012-1][1][/url]

[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Taylor_and_browning.jpg][/url]
On February 18, 2016, Taylor was announced as the Passing Game Coordinator, Quarterbacks coach and play caller for Eastern Washington.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-12][12][/url]

At EWU Taylor called plays and took an already stellar offense to new heights as they set 2 all-time FCS records for passing yards (5,160 yards) and total offense (5,766 yards) in a season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-13][13][/url]

Taylor was instrumental in helping former walk on quarterback Gage Gubrud into a record setting QB who broke the all-time single season FCS passing record and broke the all-time record in total offense. Gubrud also won FCS player of the year from numerous sites along with Big Sky Conference co-MVP (with teammate Cooper Kupp) and also having the only team to have 3 wide receivers over 1,000 yards in the season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-14][14][/url]

On December 17, 2018, Taylor accepted the head coaching position at Sacramento State after spending the previous two years as the Offensive Coordinator at Utah.

On August 31, 2019, Taylor debuted in his first collegiate game as head coach, in which his Sacramento State team defeated Southern Oregon 77-19.

On November 23, 2019, Taylor and his Sacramento State football team clinched the schools' first-ever share of the Big Sky Conference Championship in a 27-17 victory over the UC Davis Aggies football team in the 2019 Causeway Classic game. This win served as Sacramento States' first Big Sky Conference Championship win since the team's induction into the Big Sky Conference in 1996. Sacramento State also won the 2019 Causeway Carriage as a result of this victory over the UC Davis Aggies football team

As for his record at Utah, his offenses weren't great but they were a hell of a lot better than ours and they were above average for Kyle Whittingham teams.

So, yes, I think we would consider that guy. I'm not saying he is a slam dunk. I'm saying he'd be on the list. I would not be disappointed if we go another direction. I would not be disappointed if we hired him. I definitely do not want him because he went to Cal. I also don't want him excluded because he went to Cal.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence. My problem is I don't think you do. I say that because it simply strains credibility to wholeheartedly support Baldwin as our OC and be dead set against Taylor

Hiring Joe Kapp was stupid. People advocating for players with no coaching experience is stupid. I'll say it again. It is stupid to want unqualified coaches because they played or coached at Cal. It is equally stupid to disqualify qualified coaches for the same reason.
some thoughts...

High school results mean nothing to me.

His record at EWU was the result of implementing BB's offense. And we now know how BB's O translated to playing at the P5 level.

Southern Oregon is not an NCAA school. They compete at the NAIA level. This tantamount to Cal playing a NCAA D3 school. For example, I think Cal could score 80+ under Baldwin if they wanted to v. Wisconsin-Whitewater.

I believe he was the OC at Utah from 2017-18. He was a flop there. 2017: 8th in P12 total O; 2018: 7th in total O. Whereas, in 2019, Utah was #3 in total O. In other words, even a guy like Andy Ludwig was successful at Utah and we know he is not a mastermind.

Lastly, to say I "wholeheartedly" supported Baldwin is a bit unfair. Yes, I supported him but I was also of the opinion that his days were numbered. Someone had to be the scapegoat for the less than stellar offense and his card was drawn.

Overall, my point is that many, many Cal fans reach to the alumni directory every time there is an opening before going to the national coaches directory. IMO, that is stupid. As for Taylor specifically, I base my reticence on his record at Utah. He did not impress me as a guy who can lead an offense at the P5 level.
Some counter thoughts

high school - fine Though I would say that helps with recruiting norcal

EWU - I would counter with the fact that Taylor called the plays. That is what an OC does, so maybe the OC was the right one to hire. Genuine question. When was the last time Baldwin actually called plays for EWU? Under Wulff?

Southern Oregon - It's a copy paste from Wiki - I don't care about one game no matter who it is against.

Utah - total O is not the stat I would go by. I'd go by efficiency. Utah doesn't try to increase tempo or plays, so total O doesn't say as much. This year's Utah offense is miles ahead of every other Utah offense under Whittingham. I'm betting outlier until I see differently. Yards per play in 2018 was one of Whitingham's highest ever outside of this year. I'd also point out that Wilcox sucked at USC. You need to know more about the situation. I'd also add that I think Taylor was a bad choice for Utah because what they ran under Taylor was not Taylor's offense. I'm assuming their was strategic tension between HC and OC.

Okay, 71. I actually laughed at my wholeheartedly statement being unfair. Maybe you came off differently than you intended, but you've spent 2 and a half years as close to a lone voice in the wilderness Even here, you called him a scapegoat. I've never had any indication that you did not think he should continue as OC every year he has been here. I'll bet a box of Cheez Its you can't find one.

I have agreed with you many times over the years on your last point. We could make a long list of stupid Cal fan suggestions. I can 100% be on board with you not liking Taylor as a candidate. It is not, however, a stupid suggestion. There is a lot of logic to it since presumably he may not run Baldwin's offense, at least not the way Baldwin did, but you'd assume at least basic things like terminology are similar and it wouldn't be as big a transition. IMO, the most important thing is not what the OC did with some other coach. It is what he does with Wilcox. To me, it is for Wilcox to interview a guy, really like his ideas and what he is about, like what he has done wherever he has done it, and picture him as the guy. I don't care as much as about experience. If he likes the Go-go guy because he sees something in him even with not that much experience, fine by me. I'm just saying Wilcox interviewing Taylor wouldn't be stupid and if he liked what he heard it wouldn't be stupid to hire him.

Honestly, I don't think Baldwin's offense is the problem. I think how he schemes it week in and out and his playcalling sucks. Like Paul Hackett running Bill Walsh's offense. That is why I wanted him gone after the Cheez It bowl. He not only got schooled by the other OC, he got schooled by every solitary person who watched that game who knew he shouldn't do what he was doing. It was the coaching equivalent of Ayoob's 0 fer 10 against Sac State. I don't want the guy who is capable of blowing it that badly.
FuzzyWuzzy
OaktownBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

ducktilldeath said:

I'd go hard after Rhett Lashlee. Zak Hill at BSU is going to get a pay day pretty soon.

LOL
Chris Peterson is out of a job.

The Lol was for Cal pursuing Rhett Lashlee
Sorry, my joke fell flat. I readily admit that I do not know who the "hot" new college OC's are. Or who Lashlee is.
BearlyCareAnymore
Rushinbear said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

kad02002 said:

Hard pass.
Explanations? No.
Mind reader? Apparently.

My first thought was it looks like the triple option from shotgun...without the quick hitters that make the to successful. He massages it a bit, but that just gives the qb a little more time if he's going to pass. The extra blocker out of the backfield is lost if he swings out for a flare anyway. This guy may have been spending too much time around Annapolis. I'd like to see this work at a higher competition level. Above average skills in a single player have more impact at HU and WM than at our level.
I'm out of my depth here, but for the fun of it I watched a lot of his explanations on youtube. I'm not getting triple option or service academies out of this like you guys are. He talks about it being power run, vertical passing offense. Howard averaged 278 yards passing his last year there. Nothing like Navy.

His claim, anyway, is that it doesn't require talent disparity to run and that you can adjust to the skill sets of your players.

To be clear, I'm not advocating for him in any way.
Big C
OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Ncsf said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

EWell, I think it is pretty clear that Troy Taylor has been successful as a coach everywhere he went, except perhaps to a place in Utah where the coach did not like his style of offense and ran him out - the same way he ran out every other offensive coordinator there.

Quote:

Quote:

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Quote:

The guy is legendary in Northern California HS circles, has great experience, proven QB coach, turned around Sac State in one season, and SB old blue. Yep, nobody we would want?
Being a great HS coach is a long way from being a great OC at the P5 level. He was a flop as an OC at Utah. That is far more relevant than having been a great HS coach.
His offenses were about average nationally and were above average for Utah under Whittingham. If that is a flop what do you call Baldwin at Cal? I haven't checked the stats all the way, but I'd guess that Baldwin coached the three worst Cal offenses since 2001. And you have never waivered in your support.
An impossible thing, which I would like to see nonetheless, would be to have TT coordinate the personnel that BB had at Cal, and BB do the same at Utah. I have a feeling each team would've done about the same as they did.

(With the exception of BB's QB decisions, mid-year 2018 and the Cheez Its Bowl... amazingly bad.)

I'm not sure Taylor would've done much better at Cal this year (were he here) than Baldwin did). Bottom line for him: He's certainly a credible possibility, if he wants to be considered.
Blueblood

"C'mon, you all know the new OC will be coming from a MWC team."
BearlyCareAnymore
FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

ducktilldeath said:

I'd go hard after Rhett Lashlee. Zak Hill at BSU is going to get a pay day pretty soon.

LOL

Sorry, my joke fell flat. I readily admit that I do not know who the "hot" new college OC's are. Or who Lashlee is.
Nope. I misunderstood since you responded to me. I get it. Just went over my head.

Tedford is out of a job also. (said just to drive 71bear crazy)
71Bear
OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

Quote:

Quote:

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Quote:

2. For those who advocated for Beau Baldwin for 3 years and was clearly okay with his return if not actively wanting that, I wonder how many would be dead set against an OC who kicked Baldwin's ass in every offensive category as an OC in the Pac-12 if that OC's diploma read anything other than Cal.

About Taylor:

In 2012, he returned to Folsom High as co-head coach of football, during the 4-year period he was there the bulldogs went 58-3 winning 4 consecutive section championships and a state title.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-faraudo2012-1][1][/url]

On February 18, 2016, Taylor was announced as the Passing Game Coordinator, Quarterbacks coach and play caller for Eastern Washington.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-12][12][/url]

At EWU Taylor called plays and took an already stellar offense to new heights as they set 2 all-time FCS records for passing yards (5,160 yards) and total offense (5,766 yards) in a season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-13][13][/url]

Taylor was instrumental in helping former walk on quarterback Gage Gubrud into a record setting QB who broke the all-time single season FCS passing record and broke the all-time record in total offense. Gubrud also won FCS player of the year from numerous sites along with Big Sky Conference co-MVP (with teammate Cooper Kupp) and also having the only team to have 3 wide receivers over 1,000 yards in the season.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Taylor_(American_football)#cite_note-14][14][/url]

On December 17, 2018, Taylor accepted the head coaching position at Sacramento State after spending the previous two years as the Offensive Coordinator at Utah.

On August 31, 2019, Taylor debuted in his first collegiate game as head coach, in which his Sacramento State team defeated Southern Oregon 77-19.

On November 23, 2019, Taylor and his Sacramento State football team clinched the schools' first-ever share of the Big Sky Conference Championship in a 27-17 victory over the UC Davis Aggies football team in the 2019 Causeway Classic game. This win served as Sacramento States' first Big Sky Conference Championship win since the team's induction into the Big Sky Conference in 1996. Sacramento State also won the 2019 Causeway Carriage as a result of this victory over the UC Davis Aggies football team

As for his record at Utah, his offenses weren't great but they were a hell of a lot better than ours and they were above average for Kyle Whittingham teams.

So, yes, I think we would consider that guy. I'm not saying he is a slam dunk. I'm saying he'd be on the list. I would not be disappointed if we go another direction. I would not be disappointed if we hired him. I definitely do not want him because he went to Cal. I also don't want him excluded because he went to Cal.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last sentence. My problem is I don't think you do. I say that because it simply strains credibility to wholeheartedly support Baldwin as our OC and be dead set against Taylor

some thoughts...

His record at EWU was the result of implementing BB's offense. And we now know how BB's O translated to playing at the P5 level.

Southern Oregon is not an NCAA school. They compete at the NAIA level. This tantamount to Cal playing a NCAA D3 school. For example, I think Cal could score 80+ under Baldwin if they wanted to v. Wisconsin-Whitewater.

I believe he was the OC at Utah from 2017-18. He was a flop there. 2017: 8th in P12 total O; 2018: 7th in total O. Whereas, in 2019, Utah was #3 in total O. In other words, even a guy like Andy Ludwig was successful at Utah and we know he is not a mastermind.

Lastly, to say I "wholeheartedly" supported Baldwin is a bit unfair. Yes, I supported him but I was also of the opinion that his days were numbered. Someone had to be the scapegoat for the less than stellar offense and his card was drawn.

Overall, my point is that many, many Cal fans reach to the alumni directory every time there is an opening before going to the national coaches directory. IMO, that is stupid. As for Taylor specifically, I base my reticence on his record at Utah. He did not impress me as a guy who can lead an offense at the P5 level.
Some counter thoughts

EWU - I would counter with the fact that Taylor called the plays. That is what an OC does, so maybe the OC was the right one to hire. Genuine question. When was the last time Baldwin actually called plays for EWU? Under Wulff?

Southern Oregon - It's a copy paste from Wiki - I don't care about one game no matter who it is against.

Utah - total O is not the stat I would go by. I'd go by efficiency. Utah doesn't try to increase tempo or plays, so total O doesn't say as much. This year's Utah offense is miles ahead of every other Utah offense under Whittingham. I'm betting outlier until I see differently. Yards per play in 2018 was one of Whitingham's highest ever outside of this year. I'd also point out that Wilcox sucked at USC. You need to know more about the situation. I'd also add that I think Taylor was a bad choice for Utah because what they ran under Taylor was not Taylor's offense. I'm assuming their was strategic tension between HC and OC.

Okay, 71. I actually laughed at my wholeheartedly statement being unfair. Maybe you came off differently than you intended, but you've spent 2 and a half years as close to a lone voice in the wilderness Even here, you called him a scapegoat. I've never had any indication that you did not think he should continue as OC every year he has been here. I'll bet a box of Cheez Its you can't find one.

I have agreed with you many times over the years on your last point. We could make a long list of stupid Cal fan suggestions. I can 100% be on board with you not liking Taylor as a candidate. It is not, however, a stupid suggestion. There is a lot of logic to it since presumably he may not run Baldwin's offense, at least not the way Baldwin did, but you'd assume at least basic things like terminology are similar and it wouldn't be as big a transition. IMO, the most important thing is not what the OC did with some other coach. It is what he does with Wilcox. To me, it is for Wilcox to interview a guy, really like his ideas and what he is about, like what he has done wherever he has done it, and picture him as the guy. I don't care as much as about experience. If he likes the Go-go guy because he sees something in him even with not that much experience, fine by me. I'm just saying Wilcox interviewing Taylor wouldn't be stupid and if he liked what he heard it wouldn't be stupid to hire him.

Honestly, I don't think Baldwin's offense is the problem. I think how he schemes it week in and out and his playcalling sucks. Like Paul Hackett running Bill Walsh's offense. That is why I wanted him gone after the Cheez It bowl. He not only got schooled by the other OC, he got schooled by every solitary person who watched that game who knew he shouldn't do what he was doing. It was the coaching equivalent of Ayoob's 0 fer 10 against Sac State. I don't want the guy who is capable of blowing it that badly.
Not all OC's call plays. Sometimes, the Head Coach calls them (see Shanahan, SF). To be honest, I do not know who specifically called plays at EWU. It could have been Baldwin; it could have been Taylor. Either way, BB had a significant influence in developing the game plan each week.

I did suggest earlier this season that BB would probably not return. The tide against him him was too strong. He was drowning and no one through him a lifeline. Quite frankly, I definitely do not think he was a demon (as portrayed by a significant portion of the fan base that resides at this site). He was given a bad hand (too little talent) and could not do much to improve the draw. Sure, a brilliant strategist may have been able to do more but Cal hasn't had a guy like that since Mooch.

Otherwise, fair enough.
71Bear
OaktownBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

FuzzyWuzzy said:

OaktownBear said:

ducktilldeath said:

LOL

Nope. I misunderstood since you responded to me. I get it. Just went over my head.

Tedford is out of a job also. (said just to drive 71bear crazy)
JT? Why not? He didn't attend Cal so he passes the first test
calgo430
give me give me what i cry for - a great recruiter
BearlyCareAnymore
71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

Quote:

Quote:

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Quote:

About Taylor:

some thoughts...

Some counter thoughts

Not all OC's call plays. Sometimes, the Head Coach calls them (see Shanahan, SF). To be honest, I do not know who specifically called plays at EWU. It could have been Baldwin; it could have been Taylor. Either way, BB had a significant influence in developing the game plan each week.

I did suggest earlier this season that BB would probably not return. The tide against him him was too strong. He was drowning and no one through him a lifeline. Quite frankly, I definitely do not think he was a demon (as portrayed by a significant portion of the fan base that resides at this site). He was given a bad hand (too little talent) and could not do much to improve the draw. Sure, a brilliant strategist may have been able to do more but Cal hasn't had a guy like that since Mooch.

Otherwise, fair enough.

It was reported Taylor was the playcaller. That was why I had the question
WavyBear
...Baldwin himself said he handed the offense over to Taylor.
Cal88
71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

Quote:

Quote:

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Quote:

About Taylor:

some thoughts...

Some counter thoughts

Otherwise, fair enough.

I disagree with that, Garbers and many of our receivers are pretty decent. Their development curve was too flat under BB/Tui. Modster struggled as well. Talent development on offense was lacking, particularly in the passing game, and BB's playcalling compounded that.

Mooch wasn't a particularly exceptional strategist, his strength was as a QB mentor (Favre), and as a leader/motivator. Taylor has demonstrated both of these qualities, in addition to running successful offenses everywhere he went.

At Utah though, once again, Whittingham went through 9 OCs in 11 seasons. This kind of turnover is exceptional, I can't think of a HC or program that matches that level of dysfunctionality. Either Whittingham is an idiot who kept choosing terrible OCs, or he has a fundamental problem working with and getting the best out of his his coordinators. I reckon it's more about the latter here for TT.
Deutsch
Just another name: Charlie Frye - Central Michigan.
Deutsch
Just another name: Ryan Grub - Fresno State.
jamonit
No one who runs an uptempo offense will come here as an OC because we won't allow them to run it. Because of that offense fail much like BB since he has been here. So no way Taylor comes just because he wouldn't fit our slower Defensive style.
71Bear
Cal88 said:

71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

Quote:

Quote:

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Quote:

About Taylor:

some thoughts...

Some counter thoughts

Otherwise, fair enough.

I disagree with that, Garbers and many of our receivers are pretty decent. Their development curve was too flat under BB/Tui. Modster struggled as well. Talent development on offense was lacking, particularly in the passing game, and BB's playcalling compounded that.

Mooch wasn't a particularly exceptional strategist, his strength was as a QB mentor (Favre), and as a leader/motivator. Taylor has demonstrated both of these qualities, in addition to running successful offenses everywhere he went.

At Utah though, once again, Whittingham went through 9 OCs in 11 seasons. This kind of turnover is exceptional, I can't think of a HC or program that matches that level of dysfunctionality. Either Whittingham is an idiot who kept choosing terrible OCs, or he has a fundamental problem working with and getting the best out of his his coordinators. I reckon it's more about the latter here for TT.
If it were left up to the people who post at this site, Cal would equal, if not surpass, Whittingham's turnover rate.......
BearlyCareAnymore
jamonit said:

No one who runs an uptempo offense will come here as an OC because we won't allow them to run it. Because of that offense fail much like BB since he has been here. So no way Taylor comes just because he wouldn't fit our slower Defensive style.

1. Most offenses are not up tempo

2. Has Wilcox actually said this or is this just everyone assuming
SoCalie
71Bear said:

Big C said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Troy Taylor should be the top target.

From the Sac State site:
Quote:

Taylor took a sizable pay cut to come to Sacramento State, where his base annual pay is $242,000. That's about $1.7 million through the duration of his seven-year contract. Taylor's 2018 base salary at Utah was $525,000, plus a bonus of $87,500, a total about 2 times his annual take at Sacramento State, where he is the highest-paid coach.

"It's never been about the money for me," says Taylor, who will earn a bonus if the Hornets win the conference title. "It's about believing in where I am and being challenged. My goal when I left Folsom High School was to one day be a head coach, and this is a great opportunity. They're paying me well. This is where I want to be."

The main issue here is he's built some local bridges and personal relationships, and leaving after just one season is tough. He might be thinking about taking over a P5 program down the line, which given the job he's done so far at Sac State looks like a reasonable prospect.

But given that it's his alma mater, he might take the job, especially if he feels that one of his top SSU assistants could carry on with that program. I would think the Cal HC job would be his dream job, being the OC at 51 gets him on that path and puts him in a great position to contribute to the program.

No thank you. I would expect Wilcox to hire a guy based on merit rather than where he went to college.
Speaking of reasons, I wouldn't be surprised if Wilcox picks somebody that he knows. Not saying "one of his buddies", but somebody that he personally trusts would be good. If it's not somebody he's worked with, then somebody that brings strong recommendations from people Wilcox has worked with.

So if anybody wants to do us some homework, what highly regarded offensive minds (somebody who might be available) have worked with Wilcox? And assuming DeRuyter has Wilcox's complete trust, same question for TDR.
I fully expect Wilcox to select a guy with whom he is familiar or a guy who receives a strong recommendation from someone whose opinion is highly valued by Wilcox.
What about Kiesau?
Pigskin Pete
OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

OaktownBear said:

71Bear said:

Cal88 said:

Oski87 said:

Quote:

Quote:

[/url]
[/url]
[/url]

Quote:

About Taylor:

some thoughts...

Some counter thoughts

I am astounded that anyone can somehow argue the fact that nobody would be considering Taylor if he hadn't played for Cal. And yet not the least bit surprised at the same time.
Pigskin Pete
SoCalie said:

71Bear said:

I fully expect Wilcox to select a guy with whom he is familiar or a guy who receives a strong recommendation from someone whose opinion is highly valued by Wilcox.
What about Kiesau?
Why do you people have such low standards?
kad02002
killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

kad02002 said:

NYCGOBEARS said:

kad02002 said:

Hard pass.
Explanations? No.
Mind reader? Apparently.

A few points of contention here.
1. No run/pass conflict? On what grounds? How did the 49ers (the team who uses a fullback most in the nfl) look against the saints? Do the Ravens (condensed formations, often a fullback and multiple tight ends on the field) pose a decent run/pass conflict, or have I misunderstood Lamar setting the qb rushing record along with 30+ passing TDs? This makes no sense to me.
2. What do you mean by "true space"? With the spread craze, people have forgotten that there are other ways to attack the entire field. The goal of many spread offenses is to spread the defense to attack the interior. Totally valid strategy. It is also a valid strategy to force the defense to condense so as to attack the flanks and vertically.
3. Likewise, what do you mean by no spatial difference?
4. General generic spread thoughts: I have nothing against it in principle. The problem is, it - and up tempo - used to have the advantage of novelty. They no longer do. So then you look at the pros and cons, because everyone runs it. As you said, what does it do well? It isolates players in space. It looks very good on paper. But isolating players in space and working with space are also the cons. Space is great when your guys are better than their guys. You are gonna have a bunch of one on one matchups on the line and on the perimeter. Please, run this if you are Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and LSU. Accentuate your talent advantages. But happens if your guys are worse than their guys? You get beat on the line and can't help, and/or your receivers can't get open, and your qb is stranded. It all looks great on paper. Woo, RPO, we are gonna isolate that linebacker in space and if he plays the run we pass into that space and if he is tentative we hand off! Yeah, not so good when the 3 tech whips your guard, their CB is pasted on your WR, and your QB is holding the ball waiting to get blasted by the DE. As opposed to a two back running offense, when you can use creativity and misdirection to double team and get more players to the point of attack.
5. Now, let's match that to Cal. Cal has had some great talent over the years. But let's be honest. Have they ever, and do we expect them to, recruit with USC or the other top dogs in the conference (Oregon atm) for an extended period of time with depth across the entire roster? Not likely. So is it really the smartest strategy to choose offensive and defensive systems that isolate and magnify talent discrepancies, and lengthen, as opposed to condense, the length of the game?
6. This is why I don't like the up-tempo aspect of this "go go" offense - I started looking into this guy this morning haha - having a broader conversation at this point.
7. So for a team and program like Cal, which has historically been unable to recruit "better" talent across the board for the entire team, I want a true system, and I want it to be unique. Option offense have a methodical if/then approach to offense that allows production greater than the sum of its parts. Condensed formations give great flexibility in terms of run game misdirection and creativity (please, watch Juszczyk and Kittle start to block in one direction and end up leading the play in the opposite direction) and the ability to help.
8. When you talk about reading and reacting coverage on the fly, you are really talking about going pure run and shoot. Which I have no problem with. It's a great offense. It is NOT generic spread. But you have to go 100% all in, and I don't think it matches JW's defensive philosophy. That being said, the notion that defenses ever stopped or "figured out" the run and shoot is as laughable as the old "can't run the option in the nfl" argument (Kaep ripped things up with it before they tried to make him something he was not, been a key selective element to Wilson's game throughout, Jackson obviously dominating with it now).
9. As you can tell, what I like is a real system with a real identity. I honestly don't think BB was a bad coach for what he does, but I cautioned against the "multiple" offense idea from the start. If you try to do everything, you won't be able to do anything.
10. It sounds like you wouldn't necessarily disagree with that last point.
11. So why do I like the idea of a gun/option offense, other than previously stated? These offenses are true, methodical system offenses. No one else in the conference is running one now. They are versatile (much more proficient passing games than under center option offenses) and can attract "pro" interested talent. They are good for smart/versatile talent, and can function well without dominating talent, both of which jive with Cal's profile. They fit well with JW in terms of complimentary football.
12. This isn't to say I'm option offense or bust. In the end, please give me a true system and identity with a coach who has a mastery/ownership/confidence in that system.

Side note, this all may sound contentious, but I appreciate the conversation.
Joker
kad02002 said:

killa22 said:

A few points of contention here.
1. No run/pass conflict? On what grounds? How did the 49ers (the team who uses a fullback most in the nfl) look against the saints? Do the Ravens (condensed formations, often a fullback and multiple tight ends on the field) pose a decent run/pass conflict, or have I misunderstood Lamar setting the qb rushing record along with 30+ passing TDs? This makes no sense to me.
2. What do you mean by "true space"? With the spread craze, people have forgotten that there are other ways to attack the entire field. The goal of many spread offenses is to spread the defense to attack the interior. Totally valid strategy. It is also a valid strategy to force the defense to condense so as to attack the flanks and vertically.
3. Likewise, what do you mean by no spatial difference?
4. General generic spread thoughts: I have nothing against it in principle. The problem is, it - and up tempo - used to have the advantage of novelty. They no longer do. So then you look at the pros and cons, because everyone runs it. As you said, what does it do well? It isolates players in space. It looks very good on paper. But isolating players in space and working with space are also the cons. Space is great when your guys are better than their guys. You are gonna have a bunch of one on one matchups on the line and on the perimeter. Please, run this if you are Clemson, Ohio State, Oklahoma, and LSU. Accentuate your talent advantages. But happens if your guys are worse than their guys? You get beat on the line and can't help, and/or your receivers can't get open, and your qb is stranded. It all looks great on paper. Woo, RPO, we are gonna isolate that linebacker in space and if he plays the run we pass into that space and if he is tentative we hand off! Yeah, not so good when the 3 tech whips your guard, their CB is pasted on your WR, and your QB is holding the ball waiting to get blasted by the DE. As opposed to a two back running offense, when you can use creativity and misdirection to double team and get more players to the point of attack.
5. Now, let's match that to Cal. Cal has had some great talent over the years. But let's be honest. Have they ever, and do we expect them to, recruit with USC or the other top dogs in the conference (Oregon atm) for an extended period of time with depth across the entire roster? Not likely. So is it really the smartest strategy to choose offensive and defensive systems that isolate and magnify talent discrepancies, and lengthen, as opposed to condense, the length of the game?
6. This is why I don't like the up-tempo aspect of this "go go" offense - I started looking into this guy this morning haha - having a broader conversation at this point.
7. So for a team and program like Cal, which has historically been unable to recruit "better" talent across the board for the entire team, I want a true system, and I want it to be unique. Option offense have a methodical if/then approach to offense that allows production greater than the sum of its parts. Condensed formations give great flexibility in terms of run game misdirection and creativity (please, watch Juszczyk and Kittle start to block in one direction and end up leading the play in the opposite direction) and the ability to help.
8. When you talk about reading and reacting coverage on the fly, you are really talking about going pure run and shoot. Which I have no problem with. It's a great offense. It is NOT generic spread. But you have to go 100% all in, and I don't think it matches JW's defensive philosophy. That being said, the notion that defenses ever stopped or "figured out" the run and shoot is as laughable as the old "can't run the option in the nfl" argument (Kaep ripped things up with it before they tried to make him something he was not, been a key selective element to Wilson's game throughout, Jackson obviously dominating with it now).
9. As you can tell, what I like is a real system with a real identity. I honestly don't think BB was a bad coach for what he does, but I cautioned against the "multiple" offense idea from the start. If you try to do everything, you won't be able to do anything.
10. It sounds like you wouldn't necessarily disagree with that last point.
11. So why do I like the idea of a gun/option offense, other than previously stated? These offenses are true, methodical system offenses. No one else in the conference is running one now. They are versatile (much more proficient passing games than under center option offenses) and can attract "pro" interested talent. They are good for smart/versatile talent, and can function well without dominating talent, both of which jive with Cal's profile. They fit well with JW in terms of complimentary football.
12. This isn't to say I'm option offense or bust. In the end, please give me a true system and identity with a coach who has a mastery/ownership/confidence in that system.

Side note, this all may sound contentious, but I appreciate the conversation.
IMO, the point of the Air Raid (and offenses) like it was to overcome the fact that the best schools get the best linemen and if you're not the best schools, you won't be able to compete unless you get them from another angle. Clearly, the best schools are now seeing advantages from doing the same thing.

That said, I think the offensive question is a question that can be answered multiple ways and as long as one of them works, I don't care how the beast is slain.
calumnus
Rushinbear said:

mdbear said:

Notre Dame just fired its OC even though the reason seems to be a bit of a mystery (their offense was doing well). I can't find any salary data because Notre Dame is so secretive. If the reason for his termination is Notre Dame's totally unrealistic expectations, he might be a possibility.
If we got someone from that level, he probably would not be here long. Rather not have to go through this very often, even though we know it's a vagabond profession.

That is the attraction of alums or Bay Area natives all else being equal, the idea that if successful they might stick around. Of course, being successful is the most important criteria, only a few people would argue for an unsuccessful OC to be retained.
GBear4Life
No established P5 coordinator is gonna take the Cal job. Nobody gonna make a lateral or backwards move.

Cal was lucky to get Spavital after A&M and that's only because Spavital knew he could rack up points under Dykes' uptempto system. Nobody like Spavital is taking a job with Wilcox.

It's either going to be a P5 position coach looking for the promotion in title or a G5 coordinator/FCS HC looking for a promotion
GBear4Life
Pigskin Pete said:

SoCalie said:

71Bear said:

What about Kiesau?
Why do you people have such low standards?
lol how did Kiesau go from a coordinator on the worst team (fresno state w/TDR) to a better program (Boise) as Co-Oc???
Big C
jamonit said:

hey, welcome back
CalBarn
Rushinbear said:

mdbear said:

Notre Dame just fired its OC even though the reason seems to be a bit of a mystery (their offense was doing well). I can't find any salary data because Notre Dame is so secretive. If the reason for his termination is Notre Dame's totally unrealistic expectations, he might be a possibility.
If we got someone from that level, he probably would not be here long. Rather not have to go through this very often, even though we know it's a vagabond profession.

That points to a younger guy from a lower tier conference who needs a few years to show what he can do.

Just guessing that it'll be someone who very few of us have heard of, altho there's some deep diving going on among some BI activists.
Someone who "needs a few years to show what he can do"????
PLEASE, our offense has been totally VANILLA for three years now.....how long do
you expect us to wait to see a real offense--2024??? Augh!!!
Bear19
C6Bear said:

Living in the Sacramento area and watching Sac St all year, the transformation from 2 win to a 10 win team was amazing with basically the same team from 2018. With even half the imagination of Sac St's offense this year, Cal would have been a 9 or 10 win team. I'm not advocating Taylor for OC, but Cal would be lucky to have him and should find someone like him to hire.
Taylor isn't leaving the HC position at Sac State to become the OC at any school. He's been there & done that. If he wanted to be an OC, that's what he would have done after Utah. Also don't forget Taylor brought several close friends he coached with at Folsom HS to Sac State. He's not going to uproot them after only one year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.