Truly Horrible

15,374 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by oski003
tsubamoto2001
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think what should have been done is Knowlton having a committee or panel of knowledgeable basketball people to help him out. Similar to how Gladstone went about making the Tedford hire.

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

Blaming the search firm makes no sense.

The AD gives them the criteria they want in a candidate, and CSA gives them a list that matches. The AD goes through them, asks questions, shortens the list to a group for interviews and is the autonomous decision maker in all of that.

If an AD say yes to a bad candidate because of a poor list from a search firm, that's on the AD to take additional steps to find the right one. An AD has to know what he's looking for and be able to identify it.

Fox fits all the safe boxes that is typical of a Cal athletic hiring manager: squeaky clean reputation; solid graduation rates, and in Knowlton's case someone with success as a HC (Nevada). It was the safe hire with a high floor and low ceiling, in theory.

I'm not as down on the hire as most, but I acknowledge the optimism naturally is greater with a lower level HC with a track record of only success and no failure (or a P6 reputable assistant) than a HC whose most recent record at a low profile P6 school is a failure.
I'm not blaming the search firm. I'm blaming the guy that paid a search firm that is unqualified.

I disagree that the AD shouldn't have a list. He has all the alums, former players, former coaches from the school who can help. There are not that many names to sort through. It is a very small pool. I don't know how much Cal paid for the service, but one school paid $60K, so I doubt we got off cheaper. Monty would have come up with a better list in one phone call and probably would do it for free.
oski003
tsubamoto2001 said:

I think what should have been done is Knowlton having a committee or panel of knowledgeable basketball people to help him out. Similar to how Gladstone went about making the Tedford hire.

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

The AD gives them the criteria they want in a candidate, and CSA gives them a list that matches. The AD goes through them, asks questions, shortens the list to a group for interviews and is the autonomous decision maker in all of that.

If an AD say yes to a bad candidate because of a poor list from a search firm, that's on the AD to take additional steps to find the right one. An AD has to know what he's looking for and be able to identify it.

Fox fits all the safe boxes that is typical of a Cal athletic hiring manager: squeaky clean reputation; solid graduation rates, and in Knowlton's case someone with success as a HC (Nevada). It was the safe hire with a high floor and low ceiling, in theory.

I'm not as down on the hire as most, but I acknowledge the optimism naturally is greater with a lower level HC with a track record of only success and no failure (or a P6 reputable assistant) than a HC whose most recent record at a low profile P6 school is a failure.
I'm not blaming the search firm. I'm blaming the guy that paid a search firm that is unqualified.

I disagree that the AD shouldn't have a list. He has all the alums, former players, former coaches from the school who can help. There are not that many names to sort through. It is a very small pool. I don't know how much Cal paid for the service, but one school paid $60K, so I doubt we got off cheaper. Monty would have come up with a better list in one phone call and probably would do it for free.

That is along the line with what the firm does. I will provide some counter points later that focus on the actual search firm and its work since 2010.
tsubamoto2001
I'm taking about a committee of Cal folks that understands and is knowledgeable about hoops specifically in relation to the job at Cal...i.e. former coaches (Monty & Braun for example), former players, administrators, current players (player rep from the team), etc. that would be part of an interview panel. Basically people that actually care about Cal Basketball. Not some random people employed by a search firm. I'm well versed on the search firm deal and what they do. Schools with an idea of what they want can use search firms to their advantage instead of getting played like Cal did in the AD and now Head Men's Basketball Coach hires.

oski003 said:

tsubamoto2001 said:

OaktownBear said:

GBear4Life said:

That is along the line with what the firm does. I will provide some counter points later that focus on the actual search firm and its work since 2010.
Big Dog
Quote:

Maybe its the AD that is unqualified for a P5 conference.
71Bear
Big Dog said:

Quote:

Maybe its the AD that is unqualified for a P5 conference.
Yep. He has done nothing to date to prove otherwise.

oski003
Todd Turner has been an Athletic Director at schools in 4 of the 6 original BCS Conferences. He has built a successful Coaching Search Firm, which he founded in 2010. He employs Dave Odom and Jim Miller for basketball related searches. Jim Miller was the Athletic Director at Richmond from 2000 until 2012. He played college basketball at Old Dominion. He hired Chris Mooney, who took Richmond to the Sweet 16. He retired from Richmond in 2014. Dave Odom coached Division One basketball for 22 years. His career record is 406-278. His teams went to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and won 3 NIT Championships. He was ACC Coach of the Year three times and SEC Coach of the Year once. He has contacts with most NCAA Division 1 coaches.

Focusing on what CSA has accomplished in college basketball (as opposed to Todd Turner's record from decades prior to him starting a search firm), here are the records of CSA's hires for their new team. These records include 20 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16's, 1 Elite 8, and 1 Final Four.

1) Rick Barnes, Tennessee 88-50; 2 NCAA appearances, 2019 Sweet 16
2) Buzz Williams, Virginia Tech, 100-69, 3 NCAA appearances, 2019 Sweet 16
3) Len Kruger, Oklahoma, 160-105, 6 NCAA appearances, 1 Sweet 16, 1 Final Four
4) Bruce Weber, Kansas State, 150-89, 5 NCAA appearances, 1 Elite 8
5) Tom Crean, Georgia, 11-21 (previously took Indiana to 3 Sweet 16s and Marquette to Final Four)
6) Danny Manning, Wake Forest, 65-93, 1 NCAA appearance, largely considered a bad hire
7) Nathan Davis, Bucknell, 89-45, 2 NCAA appearances
8) Jeff Jones, Old Dominion, 140-67, 1 NCAA appearance
9) Mark Montgomery, NIU, 105-150
10) Dennis Felton, Cleveland State, 22-44
11) Herb Sendek, Santa Clara, 44-51
12) Ken Stallings, Pittsburgh, 24-41, bad hire
13) Kim Anderson, Missouri, 27-68, bad hire

Please note that this all began when I defended Cal against the following claim: a "Instead, Cal received a slapdash, hurried process that was dominated by a search agency with ulterior motives."

I simply asked for evidence that the Search Firm had ulterior motives. Part of that counter was information on Ted Turner's record. Completely omitted was actual information about the search firm's record. That information is far more relevant than Turner's record as an AD, especially in light of the fact that Dave Odom and Miller specialize in basketball searches. There are a lot of lawyers on this sight. They are biased; they argue and seldom present the entire picture.

Anyway, I understand the knock on Fox. The evidence indicates that he will likely not lead us to Pac 12 Championships. He has a medium floor and a medium ceiling. Many prefer a coach with a low floor and high ceiling.
71Bear
oski003 said:

Todd Turner has been an Athletic Director at schools in 4 of the 6 original BCS Conferences. He has built a successful Coaching Search Firm, which he founded in 2010. He employs Dave Odom and Jim Miller for basketball related searches. Jim Miller was the Athletic Director at Richmond from 2000 until 2012. He played college basketball at Old Dominion. He hired Chris Mooney, who took Richmond to the Sweet 16. He retired from Richmond in 2014. Dave Odom coached Division One basketball for 22 years. His career record is 406-278. His teams went to the Sweet 16, Elite 8, and won 3 NIT Championships. He was ACC Coach of the Year three times and SEC Coach of the Year once. He has contacts with most NCAA Division 1 coaches.

Focusing on what CSA has accomplished in college basketball (as opposed to Todd Turner's record from decades prior to him starting a search firm), here are the records of CSA's hires for their new team. These records include 20 NCAA appearances, 3 Sweet 16's, 1 Elite 8, and 1 Final Four.

5) Tom Crean, Georgia, 11-21 (previously took Indiana to 3 Sweet 16s and Marquette to Final Four)
6) Danny Manning, Wake Forest, 65-93, 1 NCAA appearance, largely considered a bad hire

Please note that this all began when I defended Cal against the following claim: a "Instead, Cal received a slapdash, hurried process that was dominated by a search agency with ulterior motives."

I simply asked for evidence that the Search Firm had ulterior motives. Part of that counter was information on Ted Turner's record. Completely omitted was actual information about the search firm's record. That information is far more relevant than Turner's record as an AD, especially in light of the fact that Dave Odom and Miller specialize in basketball searches. There are a lot of lawyers on this sight. They are biased; they argue and seldom present the entire picture.

Anyway, I understand the knock on Fox. The evidence indicates that he will likely not lead us to Pac 12 Championships. He has a medium floor and a medium ceiling. Many prefer a coach with a low floor and high ceiling.

Some thoughts...

1) I never responded to your request for evidence. Oaktown did a splendid job thus obviating the need for me to respond.

2) I believe Ted Turner would be very displeased to learn that he has been mistaken for a hack like Todd Turner (see your penultimate paragraph).

3) Everyone who posts here brings a bias (It is a fan website. The intent of the site [note: not sight] is to cater to those who are biased in favor of Cal). There is no need to ding the barristers who bring much to the discussions here.

4) While I believe Cal could have done better than select Fox, I cannot say with any certainty that he will fail. My focus has been on the process. Instead of using his own list of contacts, Knowlton farmed the search out to an agency that has a dubious record. If he did not believe that he had developed sufficient information through those contacts to make a learned decision, he should have communicated with people who have Cal's best interests at heart rather than dealing with a search firm, especially CSA.

Golden One
oski003 said:

Your data show a success record for the Turner firm of only 46%. That's not very good.
oski003
Golden One said:

oski003 said:

Your data show a success record for the Turner firm of only 46%. That's not very good.

Again, I am not arguing that the search firm is amazing. I'm simply countering those who are treating its use like its the end of days.
BearlyCareAnymore
oski003 said:

1. That is not a complete list and it's skewed toward the positive. I assume because the first 11 looks like it is taken from their marketing list on their website as it is identical with the exception of Mark Fox not being included. Even then, it isn't that great.

2. It is very hard to get a complete list because nobody tracks it except the firm. As would be expected they don't tout their failures. They do not list any coach that has been fired. Without a complete list, it is hard to know what to make of their hit rate.

3. Even with a complete list, it is hard to know how much the responsibility they had in any given hire as AD's use them differently. For some they are just basically go betweens. (which is what we've been assured search firms did for Cal until Knowlton decided to tell the media that he sat on his ass and let the firm do everything). I have much less issue with using a firm for grunt work. I have an issue with using them to the extent Knowlton did. I looked at Turner's record because it is complete and because as an AD he had full responsibility for the hires which is about as close as you could get to what Knowlton used the firm for.

4. I would note that 2 of the placements on your list are coaches with career losing conference records who Turner had a relationship with having hired them as an AD. And both continued to lose. I can't demonstrate ulterior motives, but that certainly gives the appearance of conflict of interest and is very troubling.

BearSD
OaktownBear said:

I have much less issue with using a firm for grunt work. I have an issue with using them to the extent Knowlton did.
Yeah, that's the main issue with this hire.

It's one thing for an AD to give a search firm a wish list of 10 guys and ask the firm to vet each coach for skeletons in the closet and to discreetly find out if each coach has any interest. It's far different to go to a search firm with a very spotty track record in placing basketball coaches and tell the firm, "Pick 3 or 4 coaches you like and I'll choose one from your short list."
oski003
OaktownBear said:

oski003 said:

1. That is not a complete list and it's skewed toward the positive. I assume because the first 11 looks like it is taken from their marketing list on their website as it is identical with the exception of Mark Fox not being included. Even then, it isn't that great.

2. It is very hard to get a complete list because nobody tracks it except the firm. As would be expected they don't tout their failures. They do not list any coach that has been fired. Without a complete list, it is hard to know what to make of their hit rate.

3. Even with a complete list, it is hard to know how much the responsibility they had in any given hire as AD's use them differently. For some they are just basically go betweens. (which is what we've been assured search firms did for Cal until Knowlton decided to tell the media that he sat on his ass and let the firm do everything). I have much less issue with using a firm for grunt work. I have an issue with using them to the extent Knowlton did. I looked at Turner's record because it is complete and because as an AD he had full responsibility for the hires which is about as close as you could get to what Knowlton used the firm for.

4. I would note that 2 of the placements on your list are coaches with career losing conference records who Turner had a relationship with having hired them as an AD. And both continued to lose. I can't demonstrate ulterior motives, but that certainly gives the appearance of conflict of interest and is very troubling.

I agree with most of what you said. Please note that my list does not include coaches who did really well and then got their next job without the AD using CSA. It cuts both ways. I purposely added the last two failed hires to try to get a complete picture.

I doubt Knowlton sat on his ass and let the firm do everything. That's your spin on a reporter's spin.

I agree that the school's are responsible for all hires and search firms only network and recommend candidates who may be open to the position, usually working within a school's parameters. It's no coincidence that Tennessee and Oklahoma have found excellent coaches through CSA.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.