2022-2023 Men's Swimming

20,700 Views | 154 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
SoCalie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes, absolutely. There are several factors that can go into it. For example, something as simple as how the gutters are can make a difference. Other factors that can have an impact are the changes in depth of the pool (i.e. if the racing course is all the same depth all the way across vs. there being a deep end and a shallow end; if all of the lanes have the same depth vs. some lanes having shallow all the way across and others that have both shallow and deep ends,) the temperature of the water, the surface of the walls (i.e. slippery vs tacky), the lines on the bottom (having only one - going in the same direction that you're swimming vs. being horizontal and/or there being areas that criss-cross,) the size/width of the lanes, even the type of lane lines (some are tighter at certain pools, some are made with certain materials, shapes and/or thicknesses that can better prevent waves [above and under the water] from spreading into the other lanes; the number (and type) of lane lines that separate the lanes (although, at the "bigger" meets, the number of lane lines tends to be the same), whether or not there are walls the length of the pool - for the outer lanes (i.e. if there is a "warm up lane" next to your lane and/or an entire warm up area next to your lane [i.e. the pool in Concord) vs. having a wall next to you the entire length); if the pool is indoor vs outdoor; the type of blocks (i.e. how big they are, how slippery vs. tacky they are, the angle of the block, are you diving into the shallow end vs. diving into the deep end, whether or not there's a backstop for your back foot, etc.); amount of chlorine/ph balance, etc. Even the shading at the bottom of the pool (i.e. if a pool area provides shade-especially within the flags/by the walls - so you can clearly see the walls vs. being thrown off by shade near the wall, or light reflections; and whether or not the level of shade is consistent for all lanes vs. just a few.) And, of course there's the placebo effect.

The shading thing can obviously have a bigger impact on the sprints because your turns are essential. Some people will say that, at the higher levels, you know the exact number of strokes, so even if you can't see the wall as well, you still know when to turn. However, when every 1/100th of a second counts, being able to see the wall very clearly vs. not so clearly is a factor. Also, as often as swimmers practice and race their events, there are always times that your stroke count is thrown off just slightly (i.e. maybe you went a little further on your underwater than usual), and you have to adjust your stroke when you hit the flags, or else your turn - or - you finish will be impacted. We've seen that time and time again - even at the Olympics - when one person has to glide a little further at the finish than their competitor - who is able to hit the wall according to their normal stroke count. Michael Phelps vs. Milorad Cavic (a Cal Bear swimmer) is the perfect example.) There are just so many little things that can impact the sprints because you're dealing with just 1/100ths of a second that separate 1st place vs 2nd (for sure)...but in certain races, there can be just a 1/10 of a second difference between 1st and 8th place.

One example in CA of a pool that is "known" to be a fast pool is Clovis West High School. SUCH a great pool.

Sorry, way too much detail...yikes....aren't you glad you asked the question, Shroeder71

GO BEARS!!
HBear
Prelims for the 500 just wrapped up. Jett takes first in the last heat of the day to set himself up in the A-final as third seed (4:10.62), behind Johnston and Hobson from Texas. Henveaux had led most of the last heat but ended up third, which puts him on the wrong side of the line at 9th (B-final first seed) in 4:11.92. Callan added more than 5s from seed in his swim of 4:17.54, 32nd overall.

Texas and Florida both take 2 up in the 500, while Jett is the 1 up for Cal. Texas and Cal also each have 1 down (with 1u/1d for NC State and /1d for ASU).
HBear
200 IM: Cal goes 2 up/0 down, with Destin taking the top seed (by 0.01) in 1:38.32 over ASU's Marchand (1:38.33) going into tonight. Hugo swims 1:40.57 for fifth seed. Marchand's freestyle split will be much quicker tonight, so a great race will be on the books.

Texas goes 2 up/1 down, 1/1 for NCSU, and ASU with 1 up/3 down. Louser unfortunately on the wrong side of the cut line here too, as he's 19th in 1:42.60.
swimmer19

Current running total: 3/1 Cal, 4/2 Texas, ASU 1/4, NC State 2/2, FL 2/1.
swimmer19
Huge couple swims from sprint group: Seeliger 18.46 for the second seed, Alexy breaking 19 with an 18.77 for 5th into tonight's A final, Bell with another massive drop in 19.04 to take the last spot in the B final!

Cal 2/1 in the event, ASU 1/0, Florida 1/0, NC State 0/3, Texas zeroed out
HBear
swimmer19 said:

Huge couple swims from sprint group: Seeliger 18.46 for the second seed, Alexy breaking 19 with an 18.77 for 5th into tonight's A final, Bell with another massive drop in 19.04 to take the last spot in the B final!

Cal 2/1 in the event, ASU 1/0, Florida 1/0, NC State 0/3, Texas zeroed out
Cheers to Jack Alexy on the sub-19 PB and to Bell on his sleeper swim from the early heats to squeeze into the B-final.

I think revised running u/d totals are:
5/2 Cal, 4/2 Texas, 2/4 ASU, 2/5 NC State, 3/1 Florida. Keep it up Bears!
swimmer19
Henveaux with the B-final win, 4:10.50. Much different race strategy than this morning to back-half the race and win the heat handily.
swimmer19
Jett adds nearly 2 seconds to his morning swim to finish 6th in 4:12.52.
HBear
swimmer19 said:

Jett adds nearly 2 seconds to his morning swim to finish 6th in 4:12.52.

Wonder if he mistimed a turn or something, he closed his race in 26.08 (slowest of all night swims) after going 24.95 in his last 50 this morning. That being said, chopping off around a second on Jett's time still wouldn't change his placement (just speculating).
swimmer19
Destin Lasco - 1:38.10 for NCAA runner-up, Cal record, and an American Record!!! Hugo improves on seed with a very solid swim in 1:39.00 for 3rd!
HBear
Bjorn and Jack take 3-6 in the A final (18.67 and 18.87), while Bell moves up in the B final with another PB of 18.96 (taking a tick off his 19.04 previous PB from this morning) to place 13th.
PalyBear
Not a great start by the Starter in the 50
PalyBear
Cal comes in 2nd in the 200FR Relay to Florida. Both teams break the old NCAA record from 14 years ago. Florida in at 1:13.35 and Cal at 1:13.82. ASU 5th and Texas 7th
swimmer19
PalyBear said:

Cal comes in 2nd in the 200FR Relay to Florida. Both teams break the old NCAA record from 14 years ago. Florida in at 1:13.35 and Cal at 1:13.82. ASU 5th and Texas 7th
Splits: Seeliger 18.59, Alexy 18.12, Bell 18.59, Lasco 18.52

Cal leads with 184 points, then Texas at 165, followed by ASU (154), NC State (151.5) and Florida (145)
PalyBear
I think we're doing well vs psych sheet. We are +16 vs psych, ASU is -9, Florida -38, but Texas is +99!! Here's swimswams' predicted points after todays events (not including diving points), and actual points including diving . Swimswams' psych calculations for Texas might be off but I'm too lazy to check.

SoCalie
He's one HECK of a relay swimmer.
DWM81
I know nothing about swimming but find this thread to be fascinating. Coach Durden is in training to be the GOAT...
swimmer19
ESPN decided to take a day off, so it's back to old-school refreshing every moment on MeetMobile.

Hugo 3:35.86 for 2nd, Louser 3:38.19 and 6th into the A final, Lucas' 3:42.73 is 21st. Time drop for Hugo but the other two added slightly.
swimmer19
On the day: Cal 2/0, Texas 3/0, ASU 2/1, NC State zeroed, Florida 0/1 plus both alternates in 17th/18th.
swimmer19
100 fly - Rose 44.86 (!!!) for 12th into the B final, Jensen added to 45.66 in 27th.

Running: Cal 2/1, NC State 3/1, Florida 1/0, Texas 3/0, 2/1 still.
HBear
swimmer19 said:

100 fly - Rose 44.86 (!!!) for 12th into the B final, Jensen added to 45.66 in 27th.

Running: Cal 2/1, NC State 3/1, Florida 1/0, Texas 3/0, 2/1 still.
Zero disrespect to Texas intended (I mean, one can look at the 200/500 consistency over there), but as someone on SwimSwam remarked, a few years back, Texas put up 6 guys into the 1 fly A final. This year: zero.

I think Rose's 44.86 is now third all-time (behind Hoffer & Shields) in the record books!
HBear
200 free: Jett with a 1:30.86 to take second heading into the A-final tonight (behind Hobson from UT).

Cal goes 1/0 here, Texas 2/0, ASU 3/1, 0/1 for Florida, zero for NC State.

Hawk 1:33.09 (0.3 add from his seed) for 23rd, while Callan adds over a second (1:33.59) for 32nd, right around the time he split in the 800 FR-R on Wednesday.
DWM81
How are we looking going into Day 3 guys...?
swimmer19
100 Breast - Bell with a 50.76 for 3rd, Reece 51.00 6th to lead the A final, Jensen 52.17 for 25th, Soderlund 52.68 for 39th. Terrible 50 wall AND the finish for Bell.
swimmer19
100 Back - Lasco doing Lasco things with a 43.93 (!!!) for the top seed, Seeliger 45.33 for 14th in the B final, Alexy 45.62 for 20th, Colby 45.94 out of the first heat for 26th, Somerset 46.59 for 35th.

yikes for Seeliger...
HBear
Good drop for Alexy, great time for Lasco. Maybe turn was off for Seeliger? Was out (characteristically) plenty fast at the 50.
HBear
Estimate on running up/downs (borrowing from someone's count on SwimSwam):

Cal 6/2
Texas 6/0
ASU 7/1
NC State 4/2
Florida 2/4

Cal with a night swim in all events; 1 fly is the only event without a top-8 swim. ASU put up impressive 3/1 in the 200 free, while Texas did 3/0 in the 4 IM and NC with 3/1 in the 1 fly.

Slight bummer about Bjorn's 1 back swim but hopeful that he moves up from 14th seed for more points.
swimmer19
Bjorn needs to win the B-final, and Rose needs to move up as much as possible. Ideal scenario is for everyone else to hold seed or move up.
coachdeke
swimmer19 said:

Bjorn needs to win the B-final, and Rose needs to move up as much as possible. Ideal scenario is for everyone else to hold seed or move up.

Isn't Saturday (tomorrow) our strongest day on paper?
swimmer19
Yes. There's a couple guys looking to move up as well (Jensen, Hawk in the 100 free, Bell in the 200 breast, Henveaux in the mile) but with the way ASU swam this morning, Bears can't afford any more costly mistakes such as missing an A final.

The bright side is that ASU's distance guys haven't looked great thus far, which may open a door. Bell's results seem to indicate there's no way he doesn't score in the 200 breast (he's seeded dead last). I think Bears may be safe, but I would have felt more comfortable had Bjorn made the A final and a couple more guys from Florida/NC State stepping up to bump out ASU swimmers.
swimmer19
3m Diving: Texas 1/2, which brings them to 7/2. On a separate note, Indiana went 3/0.

Josh Thai finished 32nd in today's event out of 52 divers. Congrats to the froski! Looking forward to platform tomorrow.
Schroeder71
Great analysis everyone! I think today is not Cal's strongest but if the Bears are even or hold a slight lead heading into Saturday, they can repeat as national champs. GO BEARS!

SoCalie-thanks for the in-depth report on the concept of a "fast pool". I was never a competitive swimmer and was curious. I still enjoy following Cal's excellent swim programs as a fan.

swimmer19
Hugo with a runner-up finish in 3:34.66 in the 400 IM, a little over a second faster than prelims. Louser with a 5th place finish, 3:38.69, adding half a second from the morning.
HBear
Rose moves up from seed (12th) to second in the B-final, 9th overall! 44.75 in the 1 fly.
swimmer19
Rose with a runner-up finish in the 100 fly B-final, 44.75. Yet another PB, dropping a tenth from this morning

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.