Cal Women's Gymnastics Post-Season Thread

7,547 Views | 94 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by HoopDreams
JTfromClash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Today is the Pac 12 Championship meet! Cal will be battling Utah, Oregon State and UCLA. Here are two articles on the meet and post season.

https://dailycal.org/2023/03/17/cal-womens-gymnastics-to-begin-postseason-play-at-pac-12-championship

https://collegegymnews.com/2023/03/17/the-ncaa-report-card-march-17-2023/

My thoughts on today's meet

I think Cal has a great shot. UCLA and Cal are red hot. Utah is a mystery. They definitely feel the loss of Grace McCallum but have the quality depth to still put up high scores. Oregon State has improved but beyond Jade Carey and Madi Dagen not sure everyone else has a higher ceiling. UCLA has the ability to win not only here but also the national championship but like Cal, vault may be their undoing. I think it comes down to UCLA and Cal. I think UCLA will eek out the win.

Go Bears!
OBear073akaSMFan
JTfromClash said:

Today is the Pac 12 Championship meet! Cal will be battling Utah, Oregon State and UCLA. Here are two articles on the meet and post season.

https://dailycal.org/2023/03/17/cal-womens-gymnastics-to-begin-postseason-play-at-pac-12-championship

https://collegegymnews.com/2023/03/17/the-ncaa-report-card-march-17-2023/

My thoughts on today's meet

I think Cal has a great shot. UCLA and Cal are red hot. Utah is a mystery. They definitely feel the loss of Grace McCallum but have the quality depth to still put up high scores. Oregon State has improved but beyond Jade Carey and Madi Dagen not sure everyone else has a higher ceiling. UCLA has the ability to win not only here but also the national championship but like Cal, vault may be their undoing. I think it comes down to UCLA and Cal. I think UCLA will eek out the win.

Go Bears!

I dont think you can count Utah out especially if there will be the possibility of 'home cooking'!
JTfromClash
After 3 rotations, Cal is in third. Utah is in first and opened up a .3 lead. Bears finish on Beam. Bears will need a huge rotation. UCLA finishes on floor.
JTfromClash
Cal's vault has to improve. And needed better floor today. Looks like might still be #2 or #3
JTfromClash
Finished third. Go Bears on to NCAAs
calbearsfan
I've never seen so many scores changed after the fact as this year. What's going on with the judges??
SonomanA1
Do they rotate where the Pac 12 Championship is held? For some reason, I seem to think it is always at Utah. When will Cal host it?
JTfromClash
That's a good question. They held in SLC probably due to drawing big crowds there. The NCAA Regionals are rotated and next year Cal will be a host.
Schroeder71
Once again coaching staff did not put Mya Lauzon in the all-around. She was 9.9 or better in each event and Cal's high scorer in each (tied w/ Frazier on floor exercise). Lauzon captured the Pac 12 balance beam title.
Maybe the Bears are saving this move for the NCAAs to elevate the team score? The last time Mya peformed the AA she scored 39.70! Only Oregon State's Jade Carey hits this level of performance consistently.

UCLA silver 197.850 vs Cal bronze 197.825 This is the second meet that the Bears lost like this season.
JTfromClash

Cal to the Pittsburg Regional .... They should be able to move onto the Regional Final vs Florida. They will need to score 198+ to beat Florida.

https://collegegymnews.com/2023/03/20/2023-regionals-draw-individual-qualifiers-announced/

HoopDreams

JTfromClash
https://calbears.com/news/2023/3/21/womens-gymnastics-five-bears-earn-10-all-pac-12-awards.aspx
JTfromClash
All four All-Americans will be back next season!

JTfromClash
Three days away from the NCAA championships! Cal is traveling to the Pittsburg regional. I haven't seen any meet previews. Maybe they will be out tomorrow or Thursday. Please post if you see them.

As @Schroeder71 has advocated for Mya Lauzon to be an all arounder, that addresses the big question for Cal's post-season ... how does Cal score 198 again? Cal should advanced from its first round match against Michigan State, Western Michigan and West Virginia. The top two teams go on the regional finals to meet the other top two teams from the other bracket. And that's where Florida should be coming from. Florida is the #2 ranked team ad the SEC champs. They have a bunch of all stars in their lineups. In order for Cal to advance to NCAA championships in Texas, it will have to beat Florida. And to do that they will have to score a 198+.

Is Cal capable of scoring 198+? Yes they are. How do they get there? Who is in the lineups? Does Mya Lauzon go all around? Do they keep their current lineup that did score 198 twice? I think this squad can! Will they? I won't make a prediction until I see how they do in the first round and whether or not Mya L.does become an all arounder. But I do think they can upset Florida and make it to the NCAA finals. Go Bears

Cal is in Session 1 on 11 am our time.

From College Gym News - https://collegegymnews.com/2023/03/28/the-mount-ncaa-regionals-2/

Schroeder71
It sounds like Cal needs to go 100% all-out if they want to breakthrough to the next level (top3). Florida is #2 in the nation and will be waiting if the Bears advance...GO BEARS!
SonomanA1
How can I watch them today?
ncbears
SonomanA1 said:

How can I watch them today?
ESPN+ if you subscribe - or you could do a trial subscription and remember to cancel.
Oherwise: livescoring here
The Gymnastics ScoreKeeper Meet Results (sidearmstats.com)
and a liveblog here: LIVE BLOG: Pittsburgh Regional Round Two Session One - College Gym News
ncbears
Cal first on beam - 49.275. Less than they have been totaling as a team the last few meets. I'm not able to watch, so don't know why Lauzon was so low (and discarded) The liveblog suggests some issues.

Nevaeh DeSouza 9.850
eMjae Frazier 9.850
Mya Lauzon 9.725
Andi Li 9.850
Gabby Perea 9.900
Madelyn Williams 9.825

Team Totals 49.275

After first rotation:
1 Michigan State49.475 (floor)
2 California49.275 (beam)
3 West Virginia49.075 (vault)
4 Western Michigan48.725 (bars)

ncbears
Rotation 2:
Michigan State vault,
West Virginia bars,
Western Michigan beam,
California floor

Rotation 3:
California vault,
Michigan State bars,
West Virginia beam,
Western Michigan floor

Rotation 4:

Western Michigan vault,
California bars, (Cal's highest national ranking at #4)
Michigan State beam,
West Virginia floor

JTfromClash
Keep in mind today all Cal has to do is finish second.

Very low beam scores to what they have received the last few weeks. Also not home to watch. Yikes. Floor and Bars needs to be top notch. Make sure get distance from #3 & #4 place
ncbears
West Virginia outvaulted Michigan State - 49.075 to 49.00!
ncbears
Cal with a 49.550 on floor (I don't know which of the two 9.875s got dropped) (MSU got 49.475 on floor)

Nevaeh DeSouza 9.875
eMjae Frazier 9.950
Mya Lauzon 9.900
Andi Li 9.875
abby Perea 9.90
Madelyn Williams 9.925

After second rotation:

1 California 98.825
2 Michigan State 98.475
3 West Virginia 97.850
4 Western Michigan 97.675

JTfromClash
Ugh not a good vault. Fortunately Bears finish on bars.

ncbears
Not the best vault rotation:
Casey Brown 9.725 (dropped)
Ella Casario 9.750
Nevaeh DeSouza 9.8
Mya Lauzon 9.775
Andi li 9.850
Maddie Williamis 9.750

Total: 48.925 (which is less than MSU scored)

After Three:
1 Michigan State 147.800
2 California 147.750
3 Western Michigan 146.950
4 West Virginia 146.325

Cal finishes on Bars/
JTfromClash
Michigan State has two falls on beam. Cal will end up at first.
ncbears
Cal scores 49.500 on bars for a final team score of 197.250. Lots of room to improve for next round.

Cesario 9.95 (per Cal twitter, this is career high)
DeSouza 9.85
Frazier 9.85
Li 9.8
Perea 9.95
Williams 9.90

MSU (Beam) and WVU (floor) final scores aren't in yet.
ncbears
Final Rankings:
1 California197.250
2 Michigan State196.825
3 Western Michigan196.175
4 West Virginia195.850

MSU was trailing Western Michigan going into their final beam routine.

Cal was tops in all but vault - where they were 4th!

JTfromClash
49.5 x 4 = 198.0. So that tells you what it is gonna take next round.

Saw only the fourth rotation live but from hearing what the analysts said and looking from the scores, here is my take:

1) Scoring is tight. No more overscoring (we hope), so maybe that brings the SEC teams down a bit.
2) Sounds like every team was nervous that first rotation. Beam is usually a strength. I think they will rebound here.
3) Li and Lauzon, in particular, had subpar meets. They will be better on Sunday and Cal needs them to be better.
4) Perea and Cesario got great scores when this team needed. Exactly what will be needed to get to the team huge scores.
5) Vault is most teams weakest event. Do the coaches have something up their sleeves here? 3 of the current routines are at 10.0 value. Is there a fourth 10.0 somewhere and can that gymnast stick it?

This team is very resilient so I think they will be ready Sunday!!! Go Bears!!!

ncbears
198 is certainly doable - the Bears have been putting up that team score this year.
But, yes, the Bears will have to be at their best on Sunday.
Schroeder71
Wow! Gabby Perea was the star today with all 9.9+ marks in her three events. Mya Lauzon finished 17th on her All-American event, the balance beam. She did not perform the all-around but choked on two of her three events, scoring in the 7.75 range (throw-a-away scores). Cal's top All-Around score was by Maddie Williams (39.40). She would have finished only fourth in the Pitt region. Terrible. The team's peformance on the vault by everyone (48.925) combined to finish dead last out of the four schools. I cannot remember a poorer performance by the Bears this season.

The Gymnastics ScoreKeeper Meet Results (sidearmstats.com)

Good luck on Sunday! GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
Not that I want to see anyone hurt but this is big

JTfromClash
Tomorrow at 2! Go Bears!
HoopDreams
JTfromClash said:

Tomorrow at 2! Go Bears!

so what do people think about our region?
Schroeder71
Florida and Cal seem to be best. Both should advance. Fingers crossed. GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
Schroeder71 said:

Florida and Cal seem to be best. Both should advance. Fingers crossed. GO BEARS!

I think they should be shooting for the top spot and for that 198. Be bold! If that means Mya Lauzon in all around so be it. But then again, Perea and Cesario had good last meet.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.