Gymnastics

27,207 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by ncbears
JTfromClash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Utah just defeated UCLA at pauley. Utah 197.3 UCLA 196.975. didn't watch but seems like both squads had their issues especially UCLA. Even their floor was not up to par.

Cal has a chance to knock UCLA out of regular season title contention next week.

JTfromClash
Let's Go!!!!

Bears leading going into the fourth rotation! eMaje with a 10 on floor!!!
JTfromClash
Boom!!! 198.4.

Pauley is Bear Territory!!!

What a performance by this squad!!!!!

Capture the PAC 12 title next week!!!! Pack Haas!
Schroeder71
The Gymnastics ScoreKeeper Meet Results (uclabruins.com)

I have it taped (dvr) but Cal captured all four events and finally broke the 198 barrier (198.4)!
Three events scored 49.650 or better which is competitive to win a national championship. The team still
needs to elevate their vault score if that is possible. GO BEARS!
ncbears
season highs on beam, bars and floor!
Ccajon2
3rd highest score behind Okie & LSU!
OBear073akaSMFan
JTfromClash said:

Let's Go!!!!

Bears leading going into the fourth rotation! eMaje with a 10 on floor!!!

Not saying that eMaije or Lauzon didn't earn the 10s but why does it seems it is no longer uncommon to get 10s these day. Lots of gymnastic seems to be earning tens. Are the routines now are a much higher degree of difficulty? Just curious with so many gymnasts are getting perfect marks. Remember only Nadia was the only one getting them.
ncbears
Scores from around the nation of interest that shows Cal's 198.400 means Cal is still close to Oklahoma.

Utah had their first 198 score (198.075) this weekend.
Florida with a 198.150 to defeat LSU 197.950
Alabama had a 198.075 as well.
And Oklahoma only had a 198.675 (sarcasm) - their season high and fifth over 198 score including last four meets.
HateRed
Any video? I missed the whole thing!!
ncbears
The CalWGym twitter account has some videos.
And there are some on pac12.com
Looks like Pac12 Network is showing the meet again at 3 a.m. Pacific Time.
HateRed
Thanks!
ncbears
I think rankings switch to NQS this week.
Assuming I did math right (and that is a questionable assumption), if it is NQS, LSU will still lead Cal - 197.845 to 197.810.
Note: LSU's three 198 scores were all at home.
Utah will have to drop a home score to have at least three away scores to score 197.665. (Four of its top six scores are at home).
JTfromClash
I'm still a layman when it comes to judging. But a couple of things from my perspective:

1) Olympic/Competitive gymnastics and NCAA gymnastics are very different in a number of ways and scoring is one of them. I'm not really sure there is an equivalent in other sports. Gotta think about it. Seems that the Olympic scoring is alot more scrutinized. In order to get a 10, you really do have to be perfect. While the NCAAs is less rigid, the atmosphere is more fun and that seems to fit how the judges view every performance.
2) The last few years in NCAA has seen a big trend in 10s. This is especially true with the bigger programs (Oklahomas, LSUs, Floridas, Utah, UCLAs) Judges want to award them more readily it seems. Not sure if that is on purpose so to get more attention to the sport or join in on the social media viralness of 10s.
3) NCAA is really more a team sport than competitive gymnastics is. Basically all these gymnasts at the Power conferences are Level 10 gymnasts that is they have competed all their sporting lives. They have performed for many years under the Olympic/competitive auspices and now you often scores build from the first competitor. So if a team starts high already and the other team members keep doing well, i think the trend does sway judges to keep scoring higher.

if you are on twitter/X you should follow College Gym News @collegegymnews, they usually do a weekly or maybe its bi-weekly look at all the 10s that happened and rejudge them.
ncbears
All the best:
https://calbears.com/news/2024/2/25/womens-gymnastics-no-3-bears-make-history-with-win-at-no-9-ucla.aspx
HoopDreams

ncbears
NQS rankings. 1. Oklahoma 2. LSU 3. Cal 4. Utah
https://roadtonationals.com/results/standings/season/2024/8/0/5
HoopDreams
Saturday is huge
JTfromClash
Yup take care of Utah and win the PAC 12 title first!

Tell folks we gotta pack Haas!!!!
ncbears
The AD marketing team should be on this.
I wonder if any Bay Area media know the Cal/Utah meet is happening on Saturday. It would be nice if the local media promoted the meet.
3250 attended OSU, but only 1211 attended Arizona.

Pauley had 6197 for Sunday's meet.

On Edit: I see that the CalBears website promotes tickets for 10$ with code clubgym24.
JTfromClash
Really unfortunate the Zona meet happened on Super Bowl Sunday.

The team deserves a huge crowd!

I just posted on the Insider Board about the meet.
sosheezy
Nice, just bought tix with that discount.
DiabloWags
A Massive Win for the Program!
"Cults don't end well. They really don't."
OBear073akaSMFan
Ditto but at senior discount.
ncbears
After the first rotation (Cal-Vault; Utah-Bars), it is tied at 49.400.
Cal did better than last week (49.350) and Utah did a slight bit less than last week (49.450)

For comparison:
Cal is ranked 4th on vault - and Utah 9th.
Cal is ranked 3d on bars and had a monster score last week 49.650 - Utah is ranked 7th on bars.
ncbears
Utah has one poor vault, but got to drop it. So Utah scores: 49.300
Cal hits last three bars routines - 9.975 each (Frazier, Perea and Williams)! Season high for Cal: 49.725. That puts Cal ahead of last weeks combined vault/bars scores.

So, after two rotations: Cal: 99.125 Utah 98.700
JTfromClash
Bears on Bars!!!!! What a rotation!!!! 49.725 halfway thru
OBear073akaSMFan
Bears were hot on the bars. Lauzon scored 9.825 but didn't even qualify in the scoring. 3 other bears had 9.975. Go Bears!
JTfromClash
Interesting Utah sat McCallum on that last vault.
ncbears
Bears on beam - tough to beat last week's 49.725 - but Bears will try!
ncbears
I don't know who the gentleman is who is doing the play by play but he seems to know his stuff.
ncbears
Not the best Beams score - Perea with a fall so Cal keeps Cesario's 9.750 for an event score. 49.400. not the worst of the season, but not the best - and could give the opening to Utah who scores 49.575 on floor.

Cal leads 148.525 to Utah's 148.275.

Utah is second nationally on the beam Cal is 5th on floor nationally. So there is definite pressure possible if Utah scores as it is capable of on beam.
JTfromClash
Evan Heiter, former UMich gymnast is the commentator.

Wow both tough anchor performances. Gabby Perea probably going for the 10 falls off beam. But otherwise pretty good beam rotation. Then for Utah, with an opportunity to really close the gap, Olympian Grace McCallum has a big miss connection at the end of her routine. 8.675.

Bears need a solid floor to bring this home!

JTfromClash
If Bears stick their landings, they should be able to hold. Utah will have to go off to make up that gap. McCallum's big slipup on floor looking large.
ncbears
First two Cal floors - Kane and Williams each with 9.875
First two Utah beam - Winger 9.850 and Ganter 9.825
ncbears
Cal: Mayhew 9.925 and Lauzon (who get so high) 9.925
Utah: McCollum 9.90 and Paulson 9.925

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.