Gymnastics

27,202 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by ncbears
JTfromClash
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So much gymnastics left this season ...but the future

ncbears
Cal moves back into second nationally. Frazier is 2d in AA nationally, and Lauzon is 5th in AA nationally.
https://roadtonationals.com/results/standings/season/2024/11/0/5
HoopDreams

JTfromClash
As NCBear already posted ... here is another tweet providing the info too

just awesome!!!!
OBear073akaSMFan
JTfromClash said:

As NCBear already posted ... here is another tweet providing the info too

just awesome!!!!
People need to come out to Haas for the regional meet Apr-3 to 7 to support the team!

Go Bears!
sosheezy
Pretty slick "510" East Bay focused marketing/branding with this leotard alt featuring the City of Oakland tree logo (popularized with matching descending roots by the local company Oaklandish).
JTfromClash
After one rotation at the Pac 12 championships, Cal will be in fourth. Nobody stuck their landing on vault. Gotta make it up on the other events. Fortunately no one is is too far ahead. Lots of gymnastics to go.

Jade Carey got a 10 on floor.

Come on Bears .. time for a comeback.
JTfromClash
Second rotation down ... Cal bounces back with a 49.425. But Mya, Ella, and eMjae so far not hitting as they usually do. Gonna need two big rotations with beam and floor.

UCLA doing well and in first. But they already did floor.
JTfromClash
eMjae fighting to stay on the beam epitomizes this meet. Ugh. Cal fighting but they won't win this. Time for a good floor rotation to build momentum for the NCAAs.
HoopDreams
JTfromClash said:

eMjae fighting to stay on the beam epitomizes this meet. Ugh. Cal fighting but they won't win this. Time for a good floor rotation to build momentum for the NCAAs.
they were saying before the meet that the beam was extra bouncy. Don't know enough about gymnastics but I would think the tension on the beam would be standard and somehow calibrated?
calgymnast
The beams usually have regulations but the podium they're placed on don't (to my knowledge). That's why some teams practice on podiums to emulate big competitions (Olympic, Worlds, NCAAs, etc.).

There was a great Tweet highlighting Mya and you can hear her talking about it with coach Liz after:

ncbears
Hopefully, they got the "bad" performances out of their system.
And, even more hopefully, Cal markets the heck out of hosting the regional!

(Meawhile, did you see Oklahoma's scores from Big12 Championship? EGADS! and Bowers with three 10s - which per CollegeGymNews, all seem deserved)
Schroeder71
Mya Lauzon has been so consistent this season. Last evening, however, she failed to score a 9.9 on any of her four events. Several Bear performances were below normal. GO BEARS!
JTfromClash
Yikes just saw the score. Well maybe Oklahoma peaks too soon!

Getting that 198 is key. Anything can happen if Cal keeps getting up there.

I bought 4 tickets to the Sunday session. Let's pack Haas!!!!!!!! Spring break for many schools is that week.
HoopDreams
calgymnast said:

The beams usually have regulations but the podium they're placed on don't (to my knowledge). That's why some teams practice on podiums to emulate big competitions (Olympic, Worlds, NCAAs, etc.).

There was a great Tweet highlighting Mya and you can hear her talking about it with coach Liz after:

yeah, that's tweet is where I heard this.
thanks for the info, but seems strange to me that something so fundamental and impactful can be different depending on venue.

It's like changing the height of a basketball rim.
JTfromClash
My daughter did gymnastics for 8 years and that is the bounciest beam I can recall seeing.
JTfromClash
NCAA Regionals at Haas Pavilion at Cal is set!!!!

ncbears
Only two will go on to the National finals.
Barring calamity, Cal should advance to the Regional Final but neither Denver nor UCLA can be counted out. it could be a very tough regional final. We will just assume (and hope) the Pac12 Championships were an outlier.
HoopDreams
Can someone explain how Nationals work?

Regionals, number of teams, who advances,etc

Next level?

Etc?

Besides watching some Olympics, the first meets I've attended was one Cal meet last year and the last Cal tri-meeting this season

JTfromClash said:

NCAA Regionals at Haas Pavilion at Cal is set!!!!

ncbears
Quote:

So, the better of the two teams in the 1st round creates a regional of 8. Then, the top 4 out of those 8 move on to the regional final, also in Berkeley. Then, the top two of the four in the regional final move on to the national championship in Texas, which has 8 teams. There, they do two sessions of four teams, and the top 2 of each session move on to the national championship, where the winner is the national champion.
There are four regions. Each region has 9 teams. First round is the "play in". Winner advances to a four team subregional. There are two four team subregionals. The top two teams in each "session" advance to the regional final - for a four team regional final.
Top two teams advance to the semi-finals. So, that's 8 teams. Two sessions. Here's an oddity. Each session is the top two teams from two regionals. Then, the top two teams from each semi-finals advance to the finals.

For the Cal regional - Southern Utah faces San Jose State. Winner will be in a session with Cal, Stanford and Auburn. The other session is Denver, UCLA, Arizona State and Washington. Assume Denver (#6) and UCLA (seeded 11 but ranked 9) are the two from their session. Cal and one other from Cal's session (could be Stanford, could be Auburn (14)). Then it could be a dogfight between Denver, UCLA and Cal for two spots. Each are capable and have produced 198 scores, although Denver's high score of 198.025 is much lower than Cal and UCLA have put up this year.
Despite seedings, I think it should be UCLA and Cal that move on - but meets are not performed on paper or n thoughts - as we saw at the Pac12 Championships.

If so, then UCLA and Cal will then compete against each other in one semi-final with the top two teams from the Fayetteville region. hen Fayetteville region's top ranked teams are LSU (2), Kentucky (7), Arkansas (10)

It's a little more complicated for individuals. But, in short, the top scorer in each event at the regional who is not on a team that advances to the semi-finals is invited to compete as an individual at the semi-finals. So, Jane Doe from SE Teachers College qualifies for beam and has the second highest score in the two day session to Lisa Roe who is on a qualifying team. But, alas, Roe's team does not advance to the semi-finals, so Jane Doe loses her invitation to the semi-finals and Lisa Roe takes the spot. If Roe's team does advance, then Jane Doe goes to the semi-finals.
HoopDreams
thanks NC

are the regional finals played in the same location as the regionals?

e.g. if Cal advances to the regional finals, will they still compete in Berkeley?
ncbears
Yes. the "sub-regional" or just regional and regional finals will be at Cal.
So, in effect, Cal hopes to have two "home" meets.
it's all done from April 4 (Round one), April 5 - the two session "regionals" and April 7 regional finals.
Then it is on to nationals for hopefully two more meets.
JTfromClash
So eMjae didn't get PAC 12 gymnast of the year!!! She is ranked ahead of Selena Harris who is a fabulous gymnast. But if she is ranked higher in AA ...why not at least co-Gymnast of the Year?
ncbears
JTfromClash said:

So eMjae didn't get PAC 12 gymnast of the year!!! She is ranked ahead of Selena Harris who is a fabulous gymnast. But if she is ranked higher in AA ...why not at least co-Gymnast of the Year?
Here is the Pac12 summary of Harris: I don't know all of Frazier's comparables:

After being named the 2023 Pac-12 Freshman of the Year after last season's performance, UCLA Sophomore Selena Harris has been named the 2024 Gymnast of the Year, after hitting all 44 of her routines this season and picking up three Pac-12 Gymnast of the Week honors. In just her second season as a Bruin, Harris led the conference in perfect 10s, with one on bars and three on vault, for the most in the nation in the latter event. The sophomore scored a 39.5 or higher in the all-around nine times this season, including her Pac-12 Championship victory that tied for the highest-ever, trumping a 21-year record (39.825; Kate Richardson). Harris also picked up Pac-12 individual event wins on vault and bars, helping the Bruins to a second place team finish. In March, she recorded the second-highest score in Bruin history in the all-around with a 39.9 against Clemson. Leading the Bruins with 28 event victories, 38 Top-3 finishes, and 30 scores of 9.9, Harris has helped her team to 2024 NCAA Regionals where they will compete for their 25 Regional title. Heading into regionals she holds the conference's only No. 1 spot in the Road to Nationals NQS rankings (vault; 9.965) and is No. 5 in the country in the all-around.
Schroeder71
Cal co-head gymnastics coaches named Pac 12 Coaches of the Year! Four gymnasts earned 1st team honors.

Howell, Crandall-Howell Named Pac-12's Top Coaches - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

GO BEARS!
SonomanA1
I am going to the regional finals Sunday, but I am hoping to watch the preliminaries on tv. What's the best way to watch on ESPN+?

Go Bears!
JTfromClash
Going to Regional finals too!

Not sure there is a free 7 day trial for ESPN+/Hulu/Disney+ right now but that's what I would search for first.

JTfromClash

Ondine future Cal Bear!
Schroeder71
No. 3 Bears Secure Multiple Region Awards - California Golden Bears Athletics (calbears.com)

Coaching staff and eMjae Frazier receive regional awards but no mention of Mya Lauzon? I guess her below average performance at Utah for the conference championships did her in ? She was ranked nationally virtually the entire season.
JTfromClash
Looks like UCLA is eliminated in the first season of the Berkeley Regional! Denver and ASU moving on!

Cal goes tonight at 7 p.m.

#PackHaas
#GottaHit198
Schroeder71
Cal scores a 3rd place performance on their 1st event, the vault. Only one Bear out of six hit a 9.90 or better. Mya Lauzon tallied a 9.9. The vault is Cal's Achilles heel. Auburn excelled on floor and Stanford was great on balance beam to score higher than Cal on their first events of the evening.

Cal tied Stanford on their respective second events. The uneven bars is Cal's best event, however, and Stanford 'competed on floor exercise which is not a strong event for them. Stanford leads by .2 at the halfway point.
JTfromClash
I thought Jayden Silvers was way underscored. Hope that doesn't hurt us.

Stanfurd came to compete.

Come on Bears
JTfromClash
And I think Maddie Williams on bars is underscored. But Cal in second place after two rotations.
ncbears
Schroeder71 said:

Cal scores a 3rd place performance on their 1st event, the vault. Only one Bear out of six hit a 9.90 or better. Mya Lauzon tallied a 9.9. The vault is Cal's Achilles heel. Auburn excelled on floor and Stanford was great on balance beam to score higher than Cal on their first events of the evening.

Vault was scored low and tight in earlier session. So Cal score is not a surprise. And Cal's score was higher than any of earlier session
JTfromClash
Wow love how this squad perseveres! Great job after Maddie's fall!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.