Gymnastics

27,201 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by ncbears
calbearsfan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Schroeder71 said:

The Pac 12 website is going crazy over Utah's team score in beating Oregon State. Cal's losing team score was superior to the Utes. Andi Li doesn't seem to possess the ability to score in the 9.9s anymore.

Again PAC-12 website mentions Utah and their 197.775 @! UW. I hope we kick their butt in a few weeks so we can show everyone we deserve to be talked about too.
CalGal1
Andi Li was the MVP of this meet. Did you see she got her 9.9 on floor??
Also, the leadoff spot in any event is incredibly mentally taxing - for Andi to set the pace, consistency and score for Cal consistently on both bars and beam is huge. It's a big ask of an athlete, and there's a reason why specific gymnasts are chosen to leadoff. A 9.875 to open both events sets the table for the remaining gymnasts.

This felt like an off meet for Cal. Mya being rested (at least, that was the information given) was an interesting choice, but I trust it was the right one. Coaches used to "rest" athletes more often in collegiate gymnastics (travel and AA competition each week takes a beating), but now the way the rankings and regional seedings work, some are more hesitant to rest their stars, looking for that big score every week. I have every faith that Justin and Liz are making solid choices for the good of the athlete and the team. They travel to Texas this week to face off against Oklahoma (but also Arkansas - don't sleep on them! They came out of the gate white hot this season, but have had a couple off meets the past couple weeks), so maybe there is some strategic planning in the works there. I think they switch to NQS to determine rankings fairly soon instead of just the overall average of all team scores.

No sticks on vault, a below average day on bars minus Maddie (but no falls - a fall off any apparatus is an automatic .5 deduction - and often more if the gymnast falls and *also* fails to complete a skill or connection), and a beam rotation that most would like a do-over (again, no falls, but uncharacteristic wobbles and missed connections.. the little things that add up).

That said, the positives: the Bears came roaring back on floor, an athlete got a much-needed weekend of rest, and the team tested its depth and gave some gymnasts more competition experience. We have become spoiled by these Bears competing so consistently, and I'll admit that I was hoping this might be the weekend they broke 198, but realistically, all teams (even those near the top) can have an off meet. I'm betting the Bears will come roaring back in Texas!

JTfromClash
What no streaming this weekend for the quad meet featuring #1 Oklahoma vs #2 Cal? How does this happen? Streaming can't be that hard to do. That's just weak to these meet organizers. Id pay $5 or $10 to watch a stream. Maybe more depending on quality of it.

Anyone going that can post their thoughts on how it went?
ncbears
LiveStats link from Oklahoma site for use tomorrow (17 February):
https://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=521387
ncbears
Lauzon is listed as competing tonite.
JTfromClash
No Li on floor.
ncbears
JTfromClash said:

No Li on floor.
Cal will start the meet on the floor (per the team twitter account)
ncbears
Still looking for a livestream. Alas, one may not exist
ncbears
LSU posted a 198.300 yesterday, their third 198 of the season.
Schroeder71
when does the meet begin? 5:15 PST
ncbears
I haven't seen a single score posted yet - and meet supposedly started 20 minutes ago - I wonder if the meet started on time.
ncbears
The NCAA site has Cal listed as "California Gym" and the OU sites says Lauzon is from "California Gymnastics Academy"
Sigh.
ncbears
And looks like meet has started.
Williams leads off with a 9.9 on floor. Matches her high score for season.
ncbears
The OU stats site doesn't seem to be working (for me). Try this NCAA site: https://roadtonationals.com/results/schedule/meet/29515
JTfromClash
https://roadtonationals.com/results/schedule/meet/29515
JTfromClash
Ha beat me to it!

Awesome first rotation! Go Bears
ncbears
Cal brings home a 49.600 on floor.
Mayhew 9.875 (dropped)
Wlliams and Kane with 9.9
Frazier and Cesario with 9.925
and Lauzon with 9.95

Cal leads after one rotation.
OU in second with a 49.450 on Vault.
CalGal1
Ok.. so it's pretty bootleg.. and she's an OU fan sitting in the OU section.. but there's a lady at the Metroplex meet who is streaming live. Again, her priority is OU, but she's sitting right in front of vault (or at least was in the first rotation, maybe she'll move with OU).

Streaming live on IG - but takes a break between rotations, so may be down for a few more minutes while they rotate and do their one-touch. User name is lacygracy01

Don't know her from Adam but was desperate to find a stream of any questionable quality.. Go Bears!!
ncbears
The 49.600 ties Cal's high score on floor this year. (last week and against Oregon State).
CalGal1
Amazing first rotation - at first I was bummed Cal was starting out on floor as scores will rise throughout the meet, but they shrugged it off and killed it. I could see eMJae's routine but wish it was zoomed in more so I could see where the deductions came in. Her leap series and both her landings looked textbook to me. GO BEARS!!
ncbears
Cal is on vault - first two scores are 9.800 from Cesario and Williams. note: all of OU's scores were higher.
Schroeder71
thank you all for your assistance, It looks like Mya Lauzon is back at the top, I'll continue to follow along...
ncbears
49.275 on Vault - (OU scored 49.450) and Cal slips to second.
Cesario 9.80 (dropped)
Williams 9.80
Mayhew 9.825
Frazier and Silvers 9.875
Lauzon 9.90

Sigh.
OU with 49.550 on bars with two 9.975s!
ncbears
My link to Road to Nationals is getting wonky.
Arkansas and UW were still on their events (Beam/Floor)
CalGal1
What are typically Cal's two strongest events are yet to come. Personally, whether we beat OU or not is not what's most important to me - posting a monster road score is what's important, and boosting our average.
LSU (currently #3) had a great meet last night (with a lot of friendly home judging).
I'm just hoping for a lights out bars & beam rotation!! Go Bears!!
ncbears
After Two
OU - 99 (49.450 vault and 49.550 bars)
Cal - 98.875 (49.275vault and 49.600 floor)
UW - 98.150 (48.975 beam and 48.175 (floor)
Ark - 98.050 (49.400 bars and 48.650 beam)

Schroeder71
I believe that this is the 1st time that Ella Cesario is competing on all four events which will give the Bear's four competitors in the All-Around. How many scores in the AA can be counted? Sorry if I did ask a dumb question because I'm really a novice fan that did not compete in gymnastics.
ncbears
49.325 on bars. Below average for Bears. Sigh.
Lauzon 9.8 (dropped)
Williams 9.825 (and was the anchor)
Cesario and Li 9.850
Perea 9.875
Frazier 9.925

For comparison - OU was 49.550 and Arkansas was 49.400. Ok - OU is ranked first in nation. But, Cal was (before tonite) second.
ncbears
OU with a great 49.650 on beam for a total of 148.650 (including a 10)
Cal is solidly in second at 148.200 (so a 198 total score seems highly unlikely)
Arkansas at 147.500
UW at 147.200

Barring disaster on beam, Cal should finish second to OU again. Not seeing Cal make up 0.450 with OU on floor.
ncbears
I apologize about "barring disaster"
4 routines in:
Frazier with a 9.625 (oh my)
Cesario 9.750
Li 9.825
Williams 9.850

Lauzon and Perea left, but, at best, Bears have to keep the 9.750
ncbears
Lauzon with a 9.875 and Perea with a 9.9 to get a beam score of 49.200 and a total score of 197.400.
Not the best meet for this year's Bears. But a solid one.

oh yeah. OU scored 198.400 with a 49.650 on floor besting Cal's floor score of 49.600.

Cal may slip to third given LSU's 198.300score yesterday. Cal was at 197.604 (so will go down) and LSU was at 197.596 (and will go up)
MoragaBear
Staff
ncbears said:

Lauzon with a 9.875 and Perea with a 9.9 to get a beam score of 49.200 and a total score of 197.400.
Not the best meet for this year's Bears. But a solid one.

oh yeah. OU scored 198.400 with a 49.650 on floor besting Cal's floor score of 49.600.

Cal may slip to third given LSU's 198.300score yesterday. Cal was at 197.604 (so will go down) and LSU was at 197.596 (and will go up)

Cal finished 2nd to #1 Oklahoma.
JTfromClash
MB think NC is referring to overall season rankings. Gymnastics has a complex way of ranking the teams and I think it even switches mid season. Maybe Calgal or NC can explain. But while Cal finishes second at this meet, their score wasn't as high as weeks before. LSU had a big score at their meet so it's possible they may jump Cal in the rankings.

Totally sucks we didn't get a good feed of Cal's routines. But they gotta be disappointed with their bar rotation. It has been their strongest event for the past few seasons. Hopefully someone will chime with why it was subpar.

That said, the season's goals are still very much intact. 1) Win the PAC 12 title outright. Utah & UCLA are facing off today or maybe Monday. One of them will be going down but Cal still needs to be beat both 2) Win the PAC 12 meet 3) Make a run in the NCAA post-season. Third time's the charm. Let's see if Cal can get a third rematch with the Sooners.

Think Ella C has been doing AA a lot. You can have as many AA as you like. Last year both Nevaeh and Andi Li were AA at times to go with Maddie , eMjae and Mya.

CalGal1
Up until now, rankings have been determined just by the average of each team's scores. Shortly (maybe in a week?) we'll switch over to NQS (national qualifying score). So for each team, they'll take their top six scores - at least three of those MUST be road scores (Cal has actually already banked some good road scores). Then, they'll toss out the highest score (this helps for some of those meets where the judges may have done a bit too much home cooking), and average the remaining 5.

Cal had an amazing floor rotation last night, and decent vault (although zero stuck vaults, for the second week). I'm pretty positive I saw Casey Brown exhibition a Yurchenko 1.5, and while she took a step, it looked good. Would be great to see another 10.0 vault slide into the lineup. Beam was wobbly. I heard bars scoring was tight across the board, but I didn't get a glimpse of Mya's 9.8 or Maddie's 9.825 to see if there were any "glaring" issues. I will say Gabby's 9.875 seemed pretty stingy after watching the routine. I also watch most of the SEC meets, so it can be a bit frustrating watching some of the SEC scoring. Tons of talent and depth in the SEC.. and also lots of "benefit of the doubt" scoring. Cal hasn't received a lot of loose scoring at all this season.. even (especially?) at home. Last night's meet was also another podium meet - which is great training for post-season, but can sometimes take some adjusting (apparatus can sometimes feel bouncier on a podium).

The last couple of weeks haven't been the strongest. But Cal has some much improved floor. I maintain that if they can hone in on some of their vault landings, and return to their "typical" bars and beam rotations (again, we really have been so spoiled), they are a top 3 team. Some teams have crazy depth; huge skills (LSU). Some have set the bar for performance level (UCLA floor, Utah beam). Cal and OU both have a focus on presentation and technically sound gymnastics that I do believe will continue to keep Cal on its upward tragectory (sp?) as the team continues to upgrade its skills. Go Bears!
JTfromClash
Cal slips to #3. No worries the focus now is on winning PAC 12. Think Cal will peak again at the right time.

Cal @UCLA this weekend!

Followed by Utah coming to Haas! Sell out Haas!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.