Gymnastics

27,208 Views | 329 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by ncbears
ncbears
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cal leads headed to floor. Hard to see Auburn recovering to catch Furd. Barring disasters (cal steps out; Furd falls on bars)
ncbears
Bars is Furd's best event this year.
ncbears
Cal's 197.800 tops the session. Stanford also advances as Auburn just fall-ters
JTfromClash
Go Bears!!!! Way to close it out!

#PackHaas this Sunday!!!
SonomanA1
I will be there Sunday. How full was it tonight? Where do you think is the best place to sit?

Go Bears!
JTfromClash
Middle to see all event especially floor.
LessMilesMoreTedford
This is a truly special Cal team, one of my favorite squads in any discipline, and they're adding a likely Olympian next year.
Schroeder71
I watched the entire meet. Cal had that hot streak when the team scored 198+ four consecutive weeks. Since then, they have cooled off and are regularly scoring in 197s. The vast majority of Cal gymnasts are making small errors on landings (taking small steps) and even a couple have fallen completely off of the balance beam. When the Bears were "on fire" they were not doing these things...If they continue to make these errors, the team is in for trouble. Everything is life goes in cycles. Nobody can stay at peak performance consistently. Mya Lauzon is a good example. For most of the season she was unbelievable and ended up ranked #2 all-around gymnast at one point. Now she's slumping but got a couple of 9.9+ last night which is promising.

Hopefully, Cal will advance on Sunday. Stanford is peaking now and could upset us. I know nothing of Denver except that they were ranked #6 and beat UCLA. Hopefully, if the Bears survive their own regional-the team will begin trending up again for the key meets that follow. GO BEARS!
LessMilesMoreTedford
Schroeder71 said:

I watched the entire meet. Cal had that hot streak when the team scored 198+ four consecutive weeks. Since then, they have cooled off and are regularly scoring in 197s. The vast majority of Cal gymnasts are making small errors on landings (taking small steps) and even a couple have fallen completely off of the balance beam. When the Bears were "on fire" they were not doing these things...If they continue to make these errors, the team is in for trouble. Everything is life goes in cycles. Nobody can stay at peak performance consistently. Mya Lauzon is a good example. For most of the season she was unbelievable and ended up ranked #2 all-around gymnast at one point. Now she's slumping but got a couple of 9.9+ last night which is promising.

Hopefully, Cal will advance on Sunday. Stanford is peaking now and could upset us. I know nothing of Denver except that they were ranked #6 and beat UCLA. Hopefully, if the Bears survive their own regional-the team will begin trending up again for the key meets that follow. GO BEARS!
Gymnastics is also very predicated on massaging the score, which you can never predict because judging is also dependent on whatever the judges feel like. Vault/bars was graded super harshly for Cal and beam/floor was probably overscored.

Cal is in a good place because that was not a good meet for them and they still had a comfortable margin because of the difficulty of their beam and floor routines. If they can keep that up and avoid major mistakes, they should advance. It's best to get the kinks out the first night, when there is margin for error.
JTfromClash
This squad has picked up its teammates after they have a major misstep time and time again. They have proven they are capable of sticking their routines to keep them viable in meets. Stanfurd is peaking but they are really lacking in a couple of events. Cal is a complete team, if 3 or more of them stick their vaults, they should be around the magical 198 mark. But bigtime programs like UCLA and Michigan have faltered this postseason. Kentucky also lost today. Cross our fingers
ncbears
Except for Oklahoma, postseason scores are lower in part because there are more judges. Prior meets had two judges on each apparatus whose scores got averaged. I think there are four at regionals - drop high and low and average the middle two scores.
Schroeder71
ncbears-I did not know that about the changes in judges. I appreciate you educating novice fans like myself.
HoopDreams
I am a novice spectator to the sport but I don't think this is right

I thought there are 4 judges and the lowest score is thrown out?

ncbears said:

Except for Oklahoma, postseason scores are lower in part because there are more judges. Prior meets had two judges on each apparatus whose scores got averaged. I think there are four at regionals - drop high and low and average the middle two scores.
ncbears
Cal starts on beam and has a good but below average score for Cal of 49.400
But, Cal crushes the floor with a 49.700 (tied for second best on season and just a hair off the 49.750 high which I think was against UCLA)

After second rotation:
99.100, Denver 98.625, Stanford 98.625, Arizona State 98.450

Stanford has done vault 49.150 and bars 49.475 (Beam is Stanford's best event)
Denver has done bars 49.400 and beam 49.225

Cal has vault and then bars. Some cushion as Cal goes to the low scoring vault.
ncbears
I'm not there and don't have video until CalWGym posts on twitter BUT Lauzon got a 10 on vault!
JTfromClash
They are sticking on vault today! Great vault rotation! They gonna flirt with the magical 198. Go Bears
ncbears
Cesario finishes up the rotation with a 9.9 and Cal score 49.500! Woah. That is second best score this season (just off 49.525) after the last two subpar vault rotations.

JTfromClash
Denver still in it despite falls on every event.
ncbears
Cal leads with a 148.600 after the vault. 198 definitely is achievable.
Denver slips into second at 148.075 with a great 49.450 on floor but they have to finish on vault.
Stanford is just behind at 147.975 with a 49.350 on beam.
But, Stanford heads to floor which generally scores higher.
It's going to be close for second

ASSUMING NO DISASTER FOR CAL ON BARS.
It will be interesting to see if coaches tell the team to go for it on bars or to play it safe.
JTfromClash
5 sticks! Maddie can go for broke! Cal will be at least at 198.175
ncbears
Denver gets a very respectable 49.375 on vault.
But, with only a 0.01 lead, Stanford only needs a 49.400, I think to advance.
ASU is out of it.
ncbears
Cal gets 49.675 on bars - close to best score of season and finishes with a 198.275!
I guess that answers my question - the Bears went for it on bars.

Widner with a 10 on floor to push Stanford through to nationals!
ncbears
Lauzon's 10 on vault:
ncbears
And Cal and Stanford celebrate together.

ncbears
Cal will be in the semi-finals with No. 10 Arkansas, No. 2 LSU, and No. 19 Stanford. April 18 - Fort Worth. Time to be determined.
The other semi-final is No. 1 Oklahoma, No. 8 Alabama, No. 5 Utah, and No. 4 Florida.

That's 4 SEC, 3 Pac, and 1 B12
JTfromClash
Awesome performance!!! CalFord!
ncbears
It's a shame that more people weren't at Haas for the meet.
I don't know how much people in Haas recognized the high drama for Stanford's best gymnast to have to nail a floor routine to send Stanford through to Nationals.
calbearsfan
ncbears said:

It's a shame that more people weren't at Haas for the meet.
I don't know how much people in Haas recognized the high drama for Stanford's best gymnast to have to nail a floor routine to send Stanford through to Nationals.
Any final attendance figures announced?
ncbears
2226 for Friday's session.
2321 for Today's session.
Highest attendance for season was 3912 versus Utah.
JTfromClash
I'd guess 5000. Stanfurd had a lot of people. ASU and Denver not as much. So in total a bit disappointing turnout by Cal fans. Not sure why students didn't go.
JTfromClash
Wow my estimate way off.
coachdeke
A lot of venues, like Pauley Pavilion, have curtains to intimate the venue. Haas needs this so crowds of this size can give atmosphere to the venue.
Schroeder71
I was worried about the team's recent performances, but they put it all together this evening. It was incredible to watch and I believe that this might be the breakthrough year for Cal women's gymnastics. GO BEARS!
LessMilesMoreTedford
JTfromClash said:

I'd guess 5000. Stanfurd had a lot of people. ASU and Denver not as much. So in total a bit disappointing turnout by Cal fans. Not sure why students didn't go.
Because the AD doesn't promote sh*t to students unless they can make decent money off of it.
JTfromClash
Cal starts on the floor. That's good right?!! And who is the line up? Jordan Kane or Andi Li?

Andi looked real good on Sunday. Jordan has been steady all year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.