Women's Swim Recruits

311,054 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
icecream12345
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Missy Franklin @FranklinMissy Nov 6
The fact that That's So Raven is on Disney Channel right now>>> #atruethrowback #missthis

Guess who was one of the 867 people to favorite this tweet? Abbey!! :cheer
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
icecream12345;842398094 said:

Missy Franklin @FranklinMissy Nov 6
The fact that That's So Raven is on Disney Channel right now>>> #atruethrowback #missthis

Guess who was one of the 867 people to favorite this tweet? Abbey!! :cheer

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Hey guess I'm in good company amongst the Cal faithful when it comes to the "Abbey on social media surveillance"
Of course the above may be nothing telling other than Abbey innocently sharing a common interest with Missy over a Disney Channel series that they grew up with...

I think in my case it's usually only when Abbey specifically favorites or likes a Cal Bear swimmer's tweet on a school or team-related topic that my ears tend to really prick up haha
Well at least this tactic seemed to have worked in Amy's case here, which took place before she had publicly verbaled :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842366515 said:

OK, just a bit more wild fantasizing on my part haha, for tedbear's dream team to become a reality - but there has to be some significance to Amy's complimentary comment on Kathleen's shirt logo, and Abbey "liking" yet another Bears-themed image...right?!

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#808080"]26 Sept[/COLOR]
Can't wait to take over the Bay Area, even if he goes to Stanford ��⚽️

[U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U] [COLOR="#808080"]likes this[/COLOR] ��
[COLOR="#FF0000"][U]Amy Bilquist[/U]: "Nice shirt ��"[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Seriously tho, it seems that Missy & Cierra had built a degree of rapport with Abbey during the Pac Pacs trip & training camp down under this summer (being roomies with Cierra, and getting a healthy dose of Teri's coaching style & interpersonal approach, may have been helpful too hehe). So with a spot of luck that may all count towards something in the end...[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842354724 said:

Abbey Weitzeil [COLOR="#696969"]25 August[/COLOR]
A great last day spent at Surfers Paradise ��☀️ #USA #panpacs2014 #Australia

BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842397902 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Looks like from the puppy pic below that Luke wasn't always as big lol
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]7 Nov[/COLOR]
My favorite boy [COLOR="#ff00cc"]#Luke [/COLOR]

Amy's wearing a Cal shirt and had a Cal poster in her room. If that's the same dog, Amy's been a Cal fan for at least 40 years (in dog years).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842398258 said:

Amy's wearing a Cal shirt and had a Cal poster in her room. If that's the same dog, Amy's been a Cal fan for at least 40 years (in dog years).

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]9 Nov[/COLOR]
Even though you'll never see this....Happy 70th birthday Keiki! You're the best!![SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]

[U]Leah Smith[/U] : 70th[SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]
[U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] : [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE] [COLOR="#3366cc"]@leahsmith19[/COLOR]
[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] : Another post wut is life[COLOR="#808080"] ...context: [U]Kathleen[/U]'s comment on [U]Katie[/U]'s prev Insta post: First Insta in 5 weeks. Stepping up your game[/COLOR]
[U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] : lol I'm stepping it up. But it's hard, Instaphobia is real. [COLOR="#3366cc"]@kathleenbaker2[/COLOR]

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]25 Nov[/COLOR]
#KeikiTheDog lost 12 lbs. in 1 week!!! #BiggestLoser [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]

-----

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]9 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#808080"]Cal v. Stanford[/COLOR]
Loved seeing my Stanford hottie [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE] this weekend! [SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]

[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] : Matching sweatshirt

-----
endzonebear
What is the National Letter of Intent signing date?
LodeBear
early signing window is November 12 to November 19. should know soon. Go Bears.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

http://swimswam.com/signing-day-eve-swimswam-index-class-2015-college-commitments/

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Signing-Day-Eve: The SwimSwam Index of Class of 2015 College Commitments[/SIZE][/COLOR]

...and with National Letters of Intent being signed on Wednesday morning, sealing their fates, we've posted over 500 articles so far.

That's just the beginning, and once letters are signed, more are sure to roll in. That includes public announcements of top-20 recruits Townley Haas, [U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U], [U]Cole Cogswell[/U], and Ally Tetzloff, who have both held out thus far without letting the world know their choices.

Athletes will have from November 12th through November 19th to formally sign letters for those being offered scholarships, and then again will have to wait until April 15th if that window is missed.

Below, see the full brunt of the effort. The table is sortable, filterable, and clickable, so follow links to read more about an individual recruit. Scroll to the right on the table, and you can sort by club team, state, and even high school to filter down to just the recruits you want to see.

We'll update this list as we continue to wrap up more recruits, so bookmark this page to keep track!

Hint: Click on "View full-size workbook in the lower right-hand corner to see all columns at once. Click the button at the top of each column to filter or sort.

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?cid=d8f9f591b4b54d24&id=documents&resid=D8F9F591B4B54D24%21107&app=Excel&authkey=!AOiY0zTkqi3V-n4&

---------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]11 Nov[/COLOR]
Tomorrow's the day [COLOR="#0066cc"]#GoBears [/COLOR]

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

Cierra Runge - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Happy National Signing Day! Congrats to everyone signing and GO BEARS!

---------

Ryan Kao - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Congrats to all the seniors signing today, especially those signing to the number one public institution in the world! [COLOR="#0066cc"]#gobears[/COLOR]

---------

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#808080"]Indy to the Bay Area[/COLOR]
Thank you to everyone who has supported me and helped me get to this point. I am so excited and blessed to be a Baby Bear [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]#GoBears #Cal

[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] : Yesss yess yess
[U]Kelly Naze[/U] : Yay!!!![SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Cat Ladd[/U] : Wohooo![SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Ken Takahashi[/U] : I'm so stoked to be your teammate Bilquist!
[U]Katie Shannahan[/U] : So proud of you baby bear [SIZE=3] ☺️ �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Joey Miller[/U] : And great location as well [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]
[U]Alex Clarke[/U] : That like rate tho
[U]Remedy Rule[/U] : YAY AMY I HEART YOU [SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Nicole Kosowski[/U] : Yayay! So happy for you!!!! [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]
[U]Coach Jack Roach[/U] : Congratulation Amy! Cal is fortunate to have you swim for them !

---------

Chris Plumb - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Congrats to our Carmel Swim Club and Carmel HS Seniors on their signing day!

Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Couldn't imagine moving into the next step of my life without her! [COLOR="#0066cc"]@alex_clarkee #Purdue #Cal @swimswamnews[/COLOR]

[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] : Making it official #trio [COLOR="#3366cc"]@katie_mclaughlin[/COLOR]
[U]Ken Takahashi[/U] : Go Bears! Stoked to be your teammate Bilquist!!
[U]Katie Drabot[/U] : WONDERBREAD!!![SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE][COLOR="#3366cc"]@amybilquist[/COLOR]
[U]Hannah Kukurugya[/U] : Ammmmyyyyy!!! [SIZE=3] �� �� �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Madison Homovich[/U] : Congrats [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Kim Williams[/U] : Congratulations [COLOR="#3366cc"]@amybilquist[/COLOR][SIZE=3] ❤️ [/SIZE]
[U]Maija Roses[/U] : Dats mah girl! Welcome to the fam![SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE][COLOR="#3366cc"]@amybilquist[/COLOR]

---------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842400137 said:

---------

That's just the beginning, and once letters are signed, more are sure to roll in. That includes public announcements of top-20 recruits Townley Haas, [U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U], [U]Cole Cogswell[/U], and Ally Tetzloff, who have both held out thus far without letting the world know their choices.
---------

Lets not hope they wait until Nov 19th to announce.:headbang..not sure if my heart can take it!!:p
icecream12345
Ken Takahashi
‏@kentakahottie
Just signed my NLI! Officially a California Golden Bear!! #GoBears ����

Abbey favorited this tweet
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
icecream12345;842400438 said:

Ken Takahashi
‏@kentakahottie
Just signed my NLI! Officially a California Golden Bear!! #GoBears ����

Abbey favorited this tweet

Just about to post a lil comment on Abbey's favoriting Ken's signing tweet, but looks like you've out-sleuthed me this time round lol :bravo

btw not sure why there's a Trojan poster in the background...
C'mon, Abbey, please make our day (today)! :gobears:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842400442 said:

Just about to post a lil comment on Abbey's favoriting Ken's signing tweet
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

The ULTIMATE favoriting.....signing on the dotted line to CAL!!
BearDevil
University High School Trojans in Irvine.

Slightly OT, but really can't understand why anyone with other options would sign with Georgia today. NCAA hasn't ruled on Jack Bauerle's future yet and their scholarship slots are nowhere near full. Worst case scenario is commit after the NCAA rules and sign in the late period or go with a scholarship agreement. Rumor is that Aidan Burns visited Michigan recently. If they lose Burns and Haas goes to Texas or 'SC, they're hosed in both programs. Can see lower level in-state recruits who are lifelong Dawg fans/legacies signing today, but doesn't make sense for anyone else.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842400450 said:

The ULTIMATE favoriting.....signing on the dotted line to CAL!!

:beer:
btw Abbey's favoriting had better not be for that USC poster on the wall... :p

OK, just read BearDevil's explanation...my bad...I plead ignorance haha...anyway, big sigh of relief at my end!!!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
icecream12345
BearDevil;842400455 said:

University High School Trojans in Irvine.

Slightly OT, but really can't understand why anyone with other options would sign with Georgia today. NCAA hasn't ruled on Jack Bauerle's future yet and their scholarship slots are nowhere near full. Worst case scenario is commit after the NCAA rules and sign in the late period or go with a scholarship agreement. Rumor is that Aidan Burns visited Michigan recently. If they lose Burns and Haas goes to Texas or 'SC, they're hosed in both programs. Can see lower level in-state recruits who are lifelong Dawg fans/legacies signing today, but doesn't make sense for anyone else.

do you think the remaining 4 of the top 20 recruits are waiting on Bauerle?
BearDevil
icecream12345;842400487 said:

do you think the remaining 4 of the top 20 recruits are waiting on Bauerle?

Don't think that Abbey and Cole are, but Haas and Tetzloff may be. Abbey's got a full ride anywhere she wants and every coach would take her over Tetzloff. Texas and 'SC may put a higher priority on Haas than Cole, who may favor those schools over Cal (the horror!) or 'Zona. Pac-12 is talking about guaranteed 4 year scholarships for all sports. SEC, Big XXII, not so much.
barabbas
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842397937 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]& talented recruiting classes in Berkeley's recent swimming history
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

"Cal's swimming history" not "Berkeley"
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
barabbas;842400505 said:

"Cal's swimming history" not "Berkeley"

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Duly noted and corrected, thx :blush
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
tedbear
So, I guess there won't be an Abbey decision today . This makes me less confident than before, but I will try to remain optimistic. I wonder what is making the decision so difficult. Bear Devil, are there any back up plans?
BearDevil
I've been a little dubious since Abbey visited Texas and 'SC, but I'm would guess that Abbey and Cole want to hold to do a signing ceremony together at their club since they don't go to the same high school. I would think that would hold even if they aren't a college package deal. Sounds like Baker and McLaughlin haven't sent in their signed LOIs yet because they prefer to participate in a a signing ceremony with their club teammates (Baker is home schooled). Neither Teri nor Durden have issued press releases yet, so they're still waiting on a few last LOIs. LJSU women are done since they already issued a press release. They require recruits to be accepted to the farm before taking an official visit and six visited the same weekend, so one of their admitted recruits is going elsewhere. If anyone's motivated, look and see if 'SC, Texas, and 'Zona have issued press releases yet. If they have, Abbey and/or Cole already eliminated them.

Never thought there were any Plan Bs. Several potential quasi-walk ons from the East Bay have committed to Ivies, but they may have gone to Cal if Teri had shown some interest and given them token money. Kinda think Teri wants to have a smaller team (18 to 24) that will train together year round. I'd guess that Teri will hunt for an international in the late signing period. Personally I'd like to see her add a mid-year transfer or international if they could help in sprint breast, another sprinter, or distant this season. Tall order.
dgong
For those who have been longer term bearinsiders the Abbey/Cole watch feels like a re-run of Erik Lorig's recruitment saga that disappointed Cal fans. Assuming Stanford and Georgia are not in the Abbey sweepstakes, I do not think losing Abbey will change the competitive landscape in women's swimming which for now is Stanford, Cal and Georgia (at least this year for the bulldogs). Of course, Texas coming to Norcal and beating Cal and Stanford even in early season meets is worth noting and makes a Texas recruiting win a crappy outcome for bear swimming fans.

I hope whatever happens with A/C, it doesn't over-shadow the terrific classes which Dave and Teri have put together for next fall. The "Big 3" recruits for the women are each potential NCAA scorers as freshmen. If Abbey is headed to other pastures, I would hope we get immediate help in sprint breast and free in the late signing period.

My gut says Durden's class is set, and won't include Cole. I just haven't heard any buzz about him and the bears, and he can likely get a full ride at many other programs and that likely is not the case at Cal.

The men's class is probably #1 with Seliskar, Thomas and Norman the head-liners. Seliskar is the #1 2015 men's recruit, and can basically swim all strokes and could be a three event NCAA scorer as a freshmen. Thomas joins the most potent stroke group in college swimming, the Cal backstroke training group. Durden will want to replace Stubblefield with a top sprinter, but with Messerschmidt, Murphy, Coan and Gornay (and Seliskar)he can focus his recruiting efforts on the 2016 class.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842400596 said:

Sounds like Baker and McLaughlin haven't sent in their signed LOIs yet because they prefer to participate in a a signing ceremony with their club teammates (Baker is home schooled).

CollegeSwimming: "Sixteen SwimMAC Carolina seniors have made verbal commitments to collegiate swimming programs. SwimMAC will host a signing day for our athletes and their families on [U]11/15/14[/U]. Details are below, followed by a list of the athletes, their current high school, and the collegiate program to which they’ve committed. We hope you’ll join us and help recognize the achievements of these local student-athletes."

BearDevil;842400596 said:

If anyone's motivated, look and see if 'SC, Texas, and 'Zona have issued press releases yet. If they have, Abbey and/or Cole already eliminated them.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]1. USC has tweeted signing up Kirsten Vose + another female swimmer so far...
2. UT - Anelise Diener, Brooke Hansen, Joanna Evans & Sofia Rauzi (Diving)
3. UofA - Daniela Georges, Katrina Konopka

No official PRs listing all their signings yet like Furds did, and we know those Trojans & Wildcats have a pretty massive incoming class...so the waiting game continues, I'm afraid...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

dgong;842400625 said:

I hope whatever happens with A/C, it doesn't over-shadow the terrific classes which Dave and Teri have put together for next fall. The "Big 3" recruits for the women are each potential NCAA scorers as freshmen. If Abbey is headed to other pastures, I would hope we get immediate help in sprint breast and free in the late signing period.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks for putting it all in perspective! Having the 3rd, 4th & 5th top-ranked recruits in the women's class, all of whom can be immediate scorers not to mention contributing to our relays, is something to feel really good about for the future :cheer[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
longseeker
Blown away by how many recruits to USC (20), Minnesota (13+) and a couple of other schools. Going to look at 2013-2014 ROSTER to see how many seniors graduated. Also how many seniors for next season.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842400643 said:

CollegeSwimming: "Sixteen SwimMAC Carolina seniors have made verbal commitments to collegiate swimming programs. SwimMAC will host a signing day for our athletes and their families on [U]11/15/14[/U]. Details are below, followed by a list of the athletes, their current high school, and the collegiate program to which they've committed. We hope you'll join us and help recognize the achievements of these local student-athletes."

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]1. USC has tweeted signing up Kirsten Vose + another female swimmer so far...
2. UT - Anelise Diener, Brooke Hansen, Joanna Evans & Sofia Rauzi (Diving)
3. UofA - Daniela Georges, Katrina Konopka

No official PRs listing all their signings yet like Furds did, and we know those Trojans & Wildcats have a pretty massive incoming class...so the waiting game continues, I'm afraid...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Thanks for putting it all in perspective! Having the 3rd, 4th & 5th top-ranked recruits in the women's class, all of whom can be immediate scorers not to mention contributing to our relays, is something to feel really good about for the future :cheer[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
cmfan64
Katie McLaughlin signed her letter of intent at her high school signing event. She was in several photos in the OC Register Varsity webpage. She looked great decked out in Cal gear.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----------

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]CAL[/COLOR]
Does this mean I can't eat gummy bears anymore?? #cannibalism [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]

[U]Kelly Naze[/U] : [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]yay!!!!!!!![SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]
[U]Jenny Dey[/U] : Nice goggle tan
[U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] : [SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE] @jennydey
[U]Natalie Herberg[/U] : :') gummy worms only
[U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] : Thank God they come in more than 1 animal!! @natbergg

-----------

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
So proud to be a part of this class of girls at the Nadadores!! Love you all!![SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]mandy, kendal guy and audge [/COLOR]

[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] :[COLOR="#0066cc"] @katie_mcl87[/COLOR] cute skirt

-----------

cmfan64;842400671 said:

Katie McLaughlin signed her letter of intent at her high school signing event. She was in several photos in the OC Register Varsity webpage. She looked great decked out in Cal gear.

Swim: Santa Margarita's McLaughlin makes it official with Cal

Reigning Register athlete and swimmer of the year Katie McLaughlin, now a member of the U.S. national team, signed Wednesday with Cal, her mother, Mary, confirmed.

McLaughlin led the Eagles to the CIF Division 1 title last season by setting the national record in the 100-yard butterfly and setting the county record in the 200-yard freestyle.

She went onto qualify for the U.S. national team in the summer in the 200-meter butterfly.

The senior swims club for the Mission Viejo Nadadores.

http://www.ocvarsity.com/ocvarsity/cal-76138-mclaughlin-member.html

-----------

Santa Margarita's Katie McLaughlin signed to compete in swimming at Cal during a Fall Signing Day ceremony at the school on Wednesday morning. She holds her National Letter of Intent as her mother, Mary McLaughlin, takes her photo.

Santa Margarita swimmer Katie McLaughlin jumps in the air for a photograph after she signed her letter of intent with Cal during Fall Signing Day on Wednesday morning

Santa Margarita's Audrey Johnstone, left, Sydney Franzen, Katie McLaughlin, and Kaitlyn Merritt, right, sign their National Letters of Intent during Fall Signing Day at Santa Margarita High on Wednesday morning.

Family members take photographs during the Fall Signing Day ceremony at Santa Margarita High on Wednesday morning.

-----------

USA Swimming Stats - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Nov[/COLOR]
A look at the top 8 U.S. women in the 100m Fl. Only one returning from the 2012 Oly trial final so far.

-----------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----------

Abbey Weitzeil - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
After a very tough decision, I have decided to become a Golden Bear[SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]Super excited to join the Cal Family! #nationalsigningday #gobears

[COLOR="#008000"]*************************[/COLOR]

[SIZE=4]Welcome, baby :bear: Abbey! :woohoo :gobears: [/SIZE]

[COLOR="#008000"]*************************[/COLOR]

[U]DREAM TEAM 2015 Edition[/U] is now more or less complete, and ready to rock!!! :wave
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
OBear073akaSMFan
OMG congrats and welcome to Cal Abbey
OBear073akaSMFan
OMG congrats and welcome to Cal Abbey. You even beat swimswam
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----------
Ladies & Gentlemen: may we present to you Cal's Dream Recruiting Class of 2015:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
rooling

[SIZE=4][COLOR="GREEN"]#2[/COLOR] [COLOR="RED"][U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR="GREEN"]#3[/COLOR] [COLOR="RED"][U]Kathleen Baker[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR="GREEN"]#4[/COLOR] [COLOR="RED"][U]Katie McLaughlin[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][COLOR="GREEN"]#5[/COLOR] [COLOR="RED"][U]Amy Bilquist[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]

-----------

THE NEWEST BABY BEAR!!! So excited for @AbbeyWeitzeil and can't wait to be your teammate!!! [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE] @swimswamnews

How's that for a good night [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE] it's great to be a Cal Golden Bear #Classof19

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
So glad @AbbeyWeitzeil deciding to join the family! Go Bears [SIZE=3] �� �� �� �� [/SIZE]

Katie McLaughlin - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
GO BEARS!!! Congrats @AbbeyWeitzeil on the commit!! Can't wait for next year!! #stoked [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]

Caroline Piehl - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Cal obviously has something special going on that people can see. Congrats @AbbeyWeitzeil @KathleenBaker2 @katie_mcl87 @amybilquist #jenna [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]
@CarolinePiehl @AbbeyWeitzeil @KathleenBaker2 @katie_mcl87 ahh thank you!! I love you guys!! [SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]

Ken Takahashi - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
CONGRATS TO THE NEWEST BEAR AKA ABBIGAL WEITZEL! THIS IS GONNA BE A WILD 4 YEARS!! [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE] #GoBears
@amybilquist @AbbeyWeitzeil @swimswamnews I love life right now congrats abbey!

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Best class ever [SIZE=3] �� �� �� �� [/SIZE]

-----------

Kathleen Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]National Signing Day[/COLOR]
So thankful for everyone who has helped me get to today, can't wait to be apart of Cal [SIZE=3] �� �� �� �� [/SIZE]

[U]Cierra Runge[/U] : Go Bears!!!![SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Kelly Naze[/U] : Baby bear [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]
[U]Cat Ladd[/U] : Yay!!! [SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Taylor Nanfria[/U] : Yaaaayyyy baby bear[SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]
[U]Hannah Kukurugya[/U] : COOKIE CAKE!!
[U]Allie Szekely[/U] : [SIZE=3] �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U] : Nice sweatshirt[SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]
[U]Coach Jack Roach[/U] : Cal is blessed to get you young lady!

Rachel Baker - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Happy National Signing Day to the cutest baby bear and the toughest chick I know [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE] @KathleenBaker2

-----------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842400684 said:

OMG congrats and welcome to Cal Abbey. You even beat swimswam

http://swimswam.com/2-girls-commit-abbey-weitzeil-chooses-cal-gives-bears-4-top-5-prospects/

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]#2 girls commit Abbey Weitzeil chooses Cal, gives Bears 4 of top 5 prospects[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]Jared Anderson | November 12th, 2014 [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]After keeping the swimming fandom in a state of suspense throughout the recruiting season, national high school record-holder Abbey Weitzel has signed on with the California Golden Bears. Current Photo via Abbey Weitzeil on Instagram [/SIZE]

The last major top-10 recruit in the nation on the girls' side has made her choice official on National Signing Day. After keeping the swimming fandom in a state of suspense throughout the recruiting season, national high school record-holder Abbey Weitzel has signed on with the California Golden Bears.

She announced her decision via Twitter and Instagram Wednesday night, posting the above picture of her signing on with Cal along with this message:

"After a very tough decision, I have decided to become a Golden Bear! Super excited to join the Cal Family! #nationalsigningday #gobears"

Cal already had an outstanding class, and the addition of Weitzeil might just push them to the top of the nation. She's an elite-tier sprinter already, with lifetime-bests of 21.98 and 47.59 in the 50 and 100. She holds national high school records in both and looks like the kind of immediate-impact sprint sensation that college programs covet.

Weitzeil's value gets inflated even further by the NCAA's double-point relay events. Weitzeil is great even up to the 200, and could be a legitimate fit on any of the 5 NCAA relay events. She'll immediately give the Golden Bears another blue chip stud in the absence of Missy Franklin, who is expected to turn pro after this season.

Weitzeil's Top Times
50 free: 21.98
100 free: 47.59
200 free: 1:45.59
500 free: 4:49.33
100 back: 54.63
100 fly: 55.23

Weitzeil's a very solid swimmer through the sprint back and fly, too, though she'll likely stick to freestyles primarily. Her lifetime-bests in the 50 and 100 free would have already garnered her All-America status last season, as Weitzeil would have taken 7th in the 50 and 5th in the 100 at the NCAA Championships.

Weitzeil comes from the Canyons Aquatic Club and Saugus High School. She's probably a true #1-prospect in the nation for any class that doesn't feature Katie Ledecky.

She's also the fourth swimmer in the top 5 of our recruiting rankings to commit to Cal. (Others include #3 Kathleen Baker, #4 Katie McLaughlin and #5 Amy Bilquist). Though Ledecky is a huge get for Stanford (which also has IMer Ella Eastin in the top 10), the Weitzeil signing makes Cal's class look awfully scary as the two Pac-12 rivals compete for the top recruiting class in the nation.
barabbas
Abbey Weitzel Signed with CAL!
tedbear
Hahaha! Just realized that it would be more appropriate to post this on the original Dream Team thread!

Wow! I leave my computer for an hour and a half to go to the gym, and when I come back it seems like the world has changed. YES, YES, YES! Oh wait, Abbey is a Dodger fan. She will have to forgive me for that one. Thank you for choosing Cal Abbey and congrats! We as a fan base always felt that Berkeley was the best destination for you, not only as a swimmer, but as a life long decision. Thank you to all the dream team members Katie, Kathleen, and Amy. IMO this is the greatest swim class ever, but I only go back to this years seniors when it comes to following women's swim recruiting. Maybe the experts can chime in on that statement. So, in the end, i guess all those gut feelings and twitter stalkings turned out to be true! Hahaha! This past recruiting season has been a really fun ride, and to realize the fruition of the Dream Team has been amazing. Can't wait for the Dream Team 2016 thread, but for now let's enjoy this one!

:gobears:

PS Time to double up that annual donation to the team.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842400680 said:

After a very tough decision, I have decided to become a Golden Bear[SIZE=3] �� �� �� [/SIZE]Super excited to join the Cal Family! #nationalsigningday #gobears

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Just a few comments on Instagram in response to the above (apparently popular) declaration from Abbey
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[U]Missy Franklin[/U] : BAHHH������
[U]Caroline Piehl[/U] : Welcome baby bear! Let the journey begin!!!
[U]Catherine Breed[/U] : YAY!! Congrats! Welcome to the fam ☺️
[U]Ken Takahashi[/U] : ABBEY �� go Bears!!!
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U] : YASSSS congrats!!!
[U]Kathleen Baker[/U] : Yessssss
[U]Amy Bilquist[/U] : Can I like this more than once? ������
[U]Celina Li[/U] : congrats baby bear can't wait to have ya join us��
[U]Katie McLaughlin[/U] : YESSSSSSS ������
[U]Ken Takahashi[/U] : @katie_mclaughlin same
[U]Ryan Kao[/U] : !!!!!
[U]Taylor Nanfria[/U] : YAAAYY congrats and welcome to the family!
[U]Liz Pelton[/U] : Welcome to the family!����������
[U]Melanie Klaren[/U] : Yay!!! Welcome baby bear ����
[U]Maija Roses[/U] : Woooo!!!! Welcome to the fam!!! ������
[U]Sonia Wang[/U] : Congrats!!! So happy for you!! ��
[U]Riley Scott[/U] : Congrats girl!! So happy for you ������

---------

Emma Osowski - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"] (Oregon State Swim '18)[/COLOR]
So proud of one of my very best friends for committing to Cal! Love you Abbey! [SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]

[COLOR="#0066cc"]@emma_osowski [/COLOR]I love you!! [SIZE=3] ❤️[/SIZE] thanks for helping me through this [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]

---------

[COLOR="#0066cc"][SIZE=4]High School Sprint Queen Abbey Weitzeil Chooses California[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/high-school-sprint-queen-abbey-weitzeil-chooses-california/

---------

Canyons Aquatic Club - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Nov[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#0066cc"]@AbbeyWeitzeil[/COLOR]-fastest swimmer in high school history will sign with UC Berkley.
[COLOR="#0066cc"][/COLOR][COLOR="#0066cc"]@CalAthletics[/COLOR] fans can celebrate, others can commiserate.

---------

Annette Griffus - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Nov[/COLOR]
@swimswamnews Are we seeing the "Missy Franklin effect" for Cal? Lot of these girls watched her swim, are fans and want to be teammates

Swimswam - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Nov[/COLOR]
@AnnetteKSSports we might be, but then again, was Missy Franklin a part of the "Natalie Coughlin" effect or the "Dana Vollmer" effect?

Eve and Candace - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Nov[/COLOR]
@swimswamnews @AnnetteKSSports also @TeriMcKeever is obviously a huge factor. If I swam I would want to swim for her. also see mens team[SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]

Matthew Clay - [COLOR="#696969"]13 Nov[/COLOR]
@EveandCandace @swimswamnews @AnnetteKSSports @TeriMcKeever Teri is the carrot here. you can tell girls trust and LOVE her. recruits flock.

---------
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842400694 said:

-----------
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Caroline Piehl - [COLOR="#696969"]12 Nov[/COLOR]
Cal obviously has something special going on that people can see. Congrats @AbbeyWeitzeil @KathleenBaker2 @katie_mcl87 @amybilquist #jenna [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]

Jenna=Finnish breaststroker Jenna Laukkanen? Prototypical next generation breastsroker-6', trend is to tall breaststrokers (Breeja Larson, Kevin Cordes) and away from munchkins (Soni). Best LCM 100 converts to 59.99 in SCYs. Obviously a need for the Bears. Would also help explain why Teri didn't pursue Siobhan harder (already had two domestic sprinters) and wanted to invest international $s in a breaststroker.

What an incredible class! Bless me Oski for I have sinned-was always skeptical this exact class would come together. Thought it would be Riley Scott, Mary Pelton, Baker, another domestic superstar, an international, and an in-state quasi walk-on.

Dunno about all-time, but I don't see how this isn't the top-ranked class. Bilquist/Baker, Baker/Jenna, Katie, and Abbey are potential NCAA champions (perhaps record holders) in both medley relays from a single recruiting class. Bootsma/Pelton may have something to say about the back legs in 2016 and Noemie may also compete with Katie for the fly legs.

Abbey's a 4 relay swimmer (200/400 free, both medleys), Bilquist's a 4 relay swimmer eventually (200/400 free, both medleys), and Baker and Katie are at least 3 relay swimmers (800 free, both medleys). Ledecky's the only potential multiple relay swimmer in LSJU's class and she's not an optimal leg on the 400 free relay.

Looks like Teri targeted 6 recruits and got 5 of them. Eastin was the only miss and Ledecky removed herself from consideration early. LSJU also got 5 out of 6 recruits, but Cal didn't recruit Stevens, Albertoli, or Williams and all five Cal commits can help immediately on multiple relays. Ledecky and Stevens would have been good gets for Cal, but they're also the only two who could have been relay swimmers (both 800 free) for the Bears.

Bears and LSJU continue to rise and the sun's setting on Georgia. Texas and 'Zona will pass the Dawgs in the medium term. 'SC took a ton of women's recruits, but got completely shut out on So Cal elites (Abbey, Katie, Eastin, Wang, Georges). Roll on you Bears!
tedbear
Interesting new info Bear Devil. So, would Jenna be a mid year transfer, or part of the Fall Dream Team class? I think Marina's conversion times were better than Jenna's, so I'm wondering how the transition would be. Any breaststroke help would be a welcome addition, however. I had my eyes on Allie Szekely for next, even though she is more of a 200m swimmer than a sprinter. Future looks bright, but we need to fill our holes: breast, distance, and one more sprinter.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.