Women's Swim Recruits

311,026 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
BearDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
No insider information, but Abi Speers and Sam Metz left the swim teams and still stayed at Cal. Just seems really odd that Sophia would miss such an important team building event without a family emergency in New Zealand or a serious illness. Sincerely hope everything works out for all involved.
BearDevil
tedbear;842330131 said:

http://swimswam.com/top-10-recruiting-rankings-girls-high-school-class-2015/

In my opinion, this ranking list is pretty much spot on. Come on Teri!!! We need Weitzeil, Baker, McLaughlin, and Bilquist.

:gobears:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/08/01/carmel-swimming-first-olympian/13452349/

Bears make Bilquist's short list: Cal, 'SC, Arizona, and Georgia.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
Great find on Amy's intent to visit Cal, [U]Beardevil[/U]! Could [U]Tedbear[/U]'s dream team actually come to pass, or something close to that edition? :beer:

I'll be perfectly content if we end up recruiting Kathleen Baker, Katie McLaughlin, and either Abbey Weitzeil or Amy Bilquist, heck I'm not too picky lol! (getting both would be nicer tho haha).

Would be icing on the cake if we also manage to add Lilly King (breast), Leah Stevens (distance), Ella Eastin (IM), Nora McCullagh, maybe Taylor Garcia...perhaps even a "import" such as Siobhan Haughey from HK. Hey one can only dream, eh? :p
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842351988 said:

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]
Great find on Amy's intent to visit Cal, [U]Beardevil[/U]! Could [U]Tedbear[/U]'s dream team actually come to pass, or something close to that edition? :beer:

I'll be perfectly content if we end up recruiting Kathleen Baker, Katie McLaughlin, and either Abbey Weitzeil or Amy Bilquist, heck I'm not too picky lol! (getting both would be nicer tho haha).

Would be icing on the cake if we also manage to add Lilly King (breast), Leah Stevens (distance), Ella Eastin (IM), Nora McCullagh, maybe Taylor Garcia...perhaps even a "import" such as Siobhan Haughey from HK. Hey one can only dream, eh? :p
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

The Dream Class is still alive!!!! Hahaha! Beardevil, who do you think the favorites are for Bilquist? Lilly King?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842350042 said:

Pretty clear that Kathleen is Cal's number one priority in the 2015 class. If she's visiting next weekend, assume McLaughlin and Eastin will also visit. Kinda surprised that Baker hasn't scheduled 5 visits, but think it's between Cal and Texas.

Kathleen Baker 4 Sept [COLOR="#808080"](very early am)[/COLOR]
Go away germs �� #sick

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]But then...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Kathleen Baker 4 Sept [COLOR="#808080"](late afternoon)[/COLOR]
2 hour delay on my flight, but at least I have a whole row to myself

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hopefully her destination = UC Berkeley...not only for this weekend, but to be followed by a more permanent move... :p[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842351936 said:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/08/01/carmel-swimming-first-olympian/13452349/

Bears make Bilquist's short list: Cal, 'SC, Arizona, and Georgia.

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"]Jr. National Champion Bilquist Planning 4 Official Visits; 3 in Pac-12[/COLOR][/SIZE]

http://swimswam.com/jr-national-champion-bilquist-planning-4-official-visits-3-pac-12/

Bilquist told IndyStar's lead swimming reporter David Woods that she had narrowed down her list of visits to Cal, USC, Arizona, and Georgia. ...

Bilquist measures in at 6 foot 2 inches, and just turned 17 in August, which will leave coaches of those four programs salivating. ...

The reality is that every program in the country can use a swimmer of that caliber. If, over the next two seasons, she didn't make even one bit of improvement (unlikely based on her height and age), she is worst case a 10-point individual scorer, four-relay swimmer at NCAA's as a freshman.

In the NCAA format, a sprinter even at 10 individual points as a freshman is immensely valuable.

With that being said, the three Pac-12 schools, Cal, USC, and Arizona, would have the most to be gained with her addition. ...

It's odd to think that Cal might be having trouble with their depth, but in two years, that could be the case in Bilquist's specialties. Cindy Tran is graduated, and by the time Bilquist begins her first season of college swimming, Missy Franklin, Rachel Bootsma, Kaylin Bing, and Liz Pelton will all be done racing for Cal's varsity program. ...

----------------------

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hang on, won't Liz & Boots be still swimming in the 2015-2016 season though?? (as seniors) :confused: [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

----------------------
tedbear
UAC, you are correct. Liz and Boots would be here for Amy's freshman year. So to summarize:

Kathleen Baker - Cal, Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee

Amy Bilquist - Cal, SC, Arizona, and Georgia

Abbey Weitzel - Cal, SC, Texas, and ????

Katie McLaughlin - Cal and ?????
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#0066ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Well Katie McLaughlin's on campus for the weekend...apparently continuing the bond that Liz Pelton had fostered with her from Pan Pacs :beer: [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Katie McLaughlin [COLOR="#696969"]Sept 6[/COLOR]
Go bears! ������

No doubt her BFF Kathleen Baker's officially visiting too :cheer
Great timing with the home game winner and all... (can't believe we're now 2-0!) :gobears:

Oh, doesn't hurt either with USC snapping Stanford's 17 game home win streak... [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR] #BeatTheFarm
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842354378 said:

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]No doubt her BFF Kathleen Baker's officially visiting too :cheer
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#696969"]6 Sept[/COLOR] ������
Loving my first recruiting trip��

------

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Pretty clear that Kathleen is Cal's number one priority in the 2015 class. If she's visiting next weekend, assume McLaughlin and Eastin will also visit.

Ha, as usual you're spot on! :acclaim:

Seems like the 3 superstuds are inseparable! :newnana::bluecarrot::newnana: (Baker, McLaughlin & Eastin)

My only concern is that if Teri lands the trio in a stunning package deal, will there be enough funds left over to recruit a sprinter in the form of [U]Abbey Weitzel[/U] or [U]Amy Bilquist[/U], or afford a breaststroker like [U]Lilly King[/U]?
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Ella Eastin [COLOR="#696969"]6 Sept @ California Memorial Stadium[/COLOR]
Game day with a couple of my hosts ������ #gobears #Berkeley
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Really interested to see who else visits. Mary Pelton will probably visit too. Doubt that Teri wants to bring in more than 6 or 7 recruits the same weekend, so we'll have a pretty good idea of mutual pecking orders after next weekend.

Looks like Mary Pelton's visiting Austin this weekend... :cry:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Mary Pelton [COLOR="#696969"]6 Sept[/COLOR]
Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium - University of Texas

Remedy Rule [COLOR="#696969"]7 Sept[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"](au)some (awe)stin[/COLOR]
are we being recruited for [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE] or [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE]

Preceded by a trip to UVA the prev weekend...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Mary Pelton [COLOR="#696969"]31 Aug[/COLOR]
������

-------------------------

Seems like Cal made up some ground with Abbey Weitzeil relative to 'SC and Texas in Australia, so it will be interesting to see if Abbey is in Berkeley or Austin next weekend.

Yup, Abbey was Cierra's roomie @ Pan Pacs in Australia, so that could come into play assuming they got on well together there lol:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Abbey Weitzeil [COLOR="#696969"]25 August[/COLOR]
A great last day spent at Surfers Paradise ��☀️ #USA #panpacs2014 #Australia

-------------------------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Seems like Cal made up some ground with Abbey Weitzeil relative to 'SC and Texas in Australia, so it will be interesting to see if Abbey is in Berkeley or Austin next weekend.

Well a picture is worth more than a thousand words...or something like that... :cheer
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Abbey Weitzeil [COLOR="#696969"]7 Sept[/COLOR]
First recruiting trip ✔️ ���� #goldenbears #lovelyliz

So we now know that Abbey Weitzeil, Kathleen Baker, Katie McLaughlin & Ella Eastin all had their official visits here this weekend...

Lemme see, that's truly the cream of the crop amongst the uncommitted recruiting prospects in the [U]2015 freshman class[/U] (#2, #3, #4, #6, as ranked respectively by Swimswam)

Amy Bilquist's the only one missing (#5)...

Looks to me the dream class is still on... :beer:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
----------------------------
[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Our very first baby :bear: - #4 Katie McLaughlin! :bluecarrot:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Katie McLaughlin [COLOR="#696969"]7 Sept[/COLOR]
Committed to Cal!! ������
Officially a baby bear!!! ������

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#696969"]7 Sept[/COLOR]
CONGRATS to @katie_mcl87 for committing to CAL!! Love you bunches❤️❤️❤️��

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Junior World Record holder Katie McLaughlin Committed to Cal[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/junior-world-record-holder-katie-mclaughlin-committed-cal/

[COLOR="#0033cc"][SIZE=4]Pan Pacs Medalist Katie McLaughlin Commits to California[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/pan-pacs-medalist-katie-mclaughlin-commits-to-california/

icecream12345
this is an awesome news!
OBear073akaSMFan
Let the dominoes fall!!!
tedbear
OMG! Here we go!!! I'm sure Kathleen wants to take all her visits, but it looks pretty darn good for us !
BearDevil
tedbear;842353232 said:

Kathleen Baker - Cal, Texas, Georgia, and Tennessee

Amy Bilquist - Cal, SC, Arizona, and Georgia

Abbey Weitzel - Cal, SC, Texas, and ????

Katie McLaughlin - Cal

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842354674 said:

Seems like the 3 superstuds are inseparable! :newnana::bluecarrot::newnana: (Baker, McLaughlin & Eastin)

My only concern is that if Teri lands the trio in a stunning package deal, will there be enough funds left over to recruit a sprinter in the form of [U]Abbey Weitzel[/U] or [U]Amy Bilquist[/U], or afford a breaststroker like [U]Lilly King[/U]?

Katie's a very good get for Teri. Not sure, but I think her mom swam for 'SC. Always schweeet to get someone from OC away from 'SC. Never necessarily thought Baker, Katie, and Eastin were a package deal, but did think they wanted to take trips together. Katie has a lot of friends/former teammates at Texas, so I think that hurts UT's chances of landing Baker (thought Cal and Texas were trips all three would take together). Eastin is allegedly down to Cal and LSJU. Georgia has a lot of money to spend, but Baker's getting a full ride wherever she goes.

Arizona's also allegedly in the hunt for Weitzeil, but I don't think they have enough $s for both Bilquist and Weitzeil. May be tight, but the Bears can probably afford Baker, Katie, Weitzeil, Bilquist, and Eastin. Bears could really use Lilly King, but haven't heard anything linking her to Cal yet. If Teri doesn't get exactly the right combo of Californians/Americans she wants, she can still also back fill with foreign swimmers in the Spring.
OBear073akaSMFan
BearDevil;842355510 said:

Arizona's also allegedly in the hunt for Weitzeil, ..........
quietly AZ has already gotten 3 highly regards recruits, including #7 recruit Quinn Carrozza and also 2 norcal swimmers including Sarah Shimomura, whose brother swam at Cal 2 years ago! Is he still at CAL? Never heard he had transferred or not. I remember his father was really an enthusiastic poster on twitter during our NCAA 'ship in 2013!

. Bears could really use Lilly King, but haven't heard anything linking her to Cal yet.
Unless Marina Garcia has a big turnaround this year..a strong breaststrokers is an dire need (imo)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842355510 said:

Never necessarily thought Baker, Katie, and Eastin were a package deal, but did think they wanted to take trips together. Katie has a lot of friends/former teammates at Texas, so I think that hurts UT's chances of landing Baker (thought Cal and Texas were trips all three would take together). Eastin is allegedly down to Cal and LSJU. Georgia has a lot of money to spend, but Baker's getting a full ride wherever she goes.

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Well my "package deal" mention may have been a bit of enthusiastic/wishful thinking - but hey, anything could happen!

McLaughlin's early commitment does swing the momentum back in our favor after LSJU's acquisition of Ledecky, so I'm really delighted with this development to say the least! I do find it interesting that many of the top recruits have targeted Cal, Texas, USC, Arizona etc (UofA having already landed several significant recruits)...but apparently not Stanfurd (other than Eastin), despite furdies having killed it last year with their super 2014 class led by #1 Simone Manuel, and already boasting the top 2015 recruit in Katie Ledecky.

I think it's as much a testimony to Teri's special coaching skills & style and to Liz/Missy/Boots' fostering of relationships (which Katie, Kathleen too, would have had intimate exposure to @ Pan Pacs), as it is to Cal's top notch academic reputation & swimming champs legacy, that Katie made this important decision upon her very first big recruiting trip! :bravo

Ironic btw that an old post of mine made reference to Kathleen helping to recruit Katie & Ella, when it fact it's turned out that it may be the other way round ha! (see below)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842291595 said:

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]And then Kathleen can recruit her pals Katie McLaughlin & Ella Eastin to be Golden Bears as well :p [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Katie McLaughlin [COLOR="SlateGray"]28 Feb 2014[/COLOR]
Another bday shoutout to this girl!! Love youuuu!! 17!!!! ❤️❤️❤️ @KathleenBaker2

Ella Eastin [COLOR="SlateGray"]28 Feb 2014[/COLOR]
Happy birthday❤️❤️ @KathleenBaker2 i miss you so much and cant wait for our next trip together ����love you

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="Gray"]11 April 2014[/COLOR]
Perfect moment with the roomies #JrTeamCamp14

[SIZE=1](Nora McCullagh & Lilly King in the background??)[/SIZE]

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Though Kathleen does claim it's all wide open for her currently, I can't help recollecting that Missy had diplomatically declared pretty much the same sort of thing in public...when in fact she had already (so wisely) made up her mind that Teri and the Cal family were the only choice for her [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

-----------------------------------

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=4]Photo Gallery: New California Commit Katie McLaughlin[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/photo-gallery-new-california-commit-katie-mclaughlin/

Leah Smith [COLOR="SlateGray"]7 Sept[/COLOR]
congrats @katie_mcl87 �� #soproud

OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842355548 said:

[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"] I do find it interesting that many of the top recruits have targeted Cal, Georgia, Texas, USC, Arizona etc (UofA having already landed several significant recruits)...but apparently not Stanford (other than Eastin), despite furds snapping that killer 2014 class led by #1 Simone Manuel, and the top 2015 recruit in Katie Ledecky.

On the bootleg board for the longest time they had the Eastin (sister too), most likely going there because of her friendship with with 2014 recruit Lindsey Engel. Nothing would put a smile more on my face than her coming here, especially after reading this post from one of their posters

"If we can sign the super versatile Kathy Baker too, that would be great. But heard that Stanford wasn't on her list. [COLOR="#A52A2A"]Was it because the academic standard?"[/COLOR] What an elitist.
OBear073akaSMFan
OBear073akaSMFan;842355568 said:

On the bootleg board for the longest time they had the Eastin (sister too), most likely going there because of her friendship with with 2014 recruit Lindsey Engel. Nothing would put a smile more on my face than her coming here, especially after reading this post from one of their posters

Unfortunately Ella Eastin to Furds. Keeping fingers, toes, and eyes cross for K Baker
tedbear
OBear073akaSMFan;842357282 said:

Unfortunately Ella Eastin to Furds. Keeping fingers, toes, and eyes cross for K Baker

I think in my gut I knew she was all Furd, but it would have been nice to get her. The Dream Team is still alive, however !
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]+1 on the "Dream Class" still going strong after that fantastic jumpstart for our team with #4 (Katie M)...

Sad naturally to have talented #6 (Ella) joinng #1 (Katie L) @ the Farm...

But #2 (Abbey), #3 (Kathleen) & #5 (Amy) are still very much in play![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Both Eastins are "nice to have" recruits, but not "must have" recruits for the Bears. Ella's a strong IMer (Baker's faster in both distances), but she's not fast enough to swim on any relays for Cal (free or medley). Emily's a strong backstroker, but Teri's looking at another backstroke glut, especially if both Baker and Bilquist commit. Alyssa Marsh and Courtney Mykkanen are both Cal legacies and 2016 backstrokers. David Marsh is the CEO of SwimMAC (club super power in Charlotte), mentored Durden at Auburn, his wife swam for the Bears, and Alyssa is BFFs with Maija and Baker. John Mykannen was a silver medalist in the '84 Olympics and swam for Nort.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842357358 said:

Both Eastins are "nice to have" recruits, but not "must have" recruits for the Bears. Ella's a strong IMer (Baker's faster in both distances), but she's not fast enough to swim on any relays for Cal (free or medley). Emily's a strong backstroker, but Teri's looking at another backstroke glut, especially if both Baker and Bilquist commit. Alyssa Marsh and Courtney Mykkanen are both Cal legacies and 2016 backstrokers. David Marsh is the CEO of SwimMAC (club super power in Charlotte), mentored Durden at Auburn, his wife swam for the Bears, and Alyssa is BFFs with Maija and Baker. John Mykannen was a silver medalist in the '84 Olympics and swam for Nort.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Agree on the Eastins. It was always a strong possibility that Ella would either end up as a Cardinal or a Bear, since she is close friends with swimmers from both in-state schools and all that.

I have hopeful vibes with regards to Kathleen Baker selecting Cal after the formalities of her remaining visits are concluded (not to overlook the Horns being likely in contention), but obviously I am not exactly the most unbiased of commenters here lol. Kathleen would be the key for me, if only one more Top Ten recruit was to commit to Berkeley (think there'll be more than that, of course). Abbey & Amy would also be top gets for us, one could never have too many sprinter studs due to their scoring potential in all the various relays!

Here are stats for several key players in the women's recruiting classes from CollegeSwimming (commits are in [COLOR="#808080"]gray[/COLOR]) - as mentioned previously, I don't always agree with their ranking criteria, reckon Swimswam's rankings are more indicative of their real-life performance & potential contribution... No doubt I've missed more than a few valuable prospects below, so feel welcome to throw some new names into the mix
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[U][SIZE=3]2015[/SIZE][/U]

[COLOR="#808080"]#1 - Ella Eastin[/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/152168/

#2 - Kathleen Baker
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/218867/

[COLOR="#808080"]#3 - Sonia Wang[/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/198394/

#4 - Nora Mccullagh
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/201771/

[COLOR="#808080"]#5 - Kathleen Ledecky[/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/257844/

#6 - Leah Stevens
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/148928/

[COLOR="#808080"]#7 - Quinn Carrozza[/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/166106/

[COLOR="#808080"]#8 - Katie Mclaughlin[/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/201658/

#18 - Amy Bilquist
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/183601/

#19 - Mary Pelton
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/241491/

#20 - Taylor Garcia
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/218971/

[COLOR="#808080"]#24 - Riley Scott[/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/167958/

#42 - Abbigail Weitzeil
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/167847/

#45 - Lilly King
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/231999/

[U][SIZE=3]2016[/SIZE][/U][COLOR="#696969"] - recruits mentioned in BearDevil's post above[/COLOR]

#14 - Alyssa Marsh
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/258169/

#24 - Courtney Mykkanen
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/201611/

BearDevil;842357358 said:

Alyssa is BFFs with Maija and Baker.

Maija Roses [COLOR="#808080"]8 Sept[/COLOR]
Thank you for always strangling me with your love.. Happy birthday Marshmallow!! Miss you ��

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#808080"]8 Sept[/COLOR]
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to my #1 Thanks for always taking amazing pictures with me and being an awesome roommate. Love you so so much @alymarsh99 ❤️����
BearDevil
FWIW, talked to someone who is extremely well connected in swimming with both good and bad news for the Bears:

-Cal is very confident that Baker will commit.
-Weitzeil is leaning toward 'SC. Her club coach is close with 'SC's Dave Salo. May be a package deal with her boyfriend, Cole Cogswell.
-Bilquist is split between 'Zona and Cal. Has no problem going to the same school as Baker.
-Lily King is kind of a mystery, but may end up at a non-traditional power (Texas A&M or Notre Dame).

-Seliskar is leaning toward LSJU or the Ivies.
-Townley Haas is also a mystery. Would be a very good complement to Nick Norman.

Georgia women have a ton of money to spend, but the Bauerle controversy is taking its toll. 2015 NCAAs may be their last hurrah if they don't replace significant losses with this recruiting class.

I'd add Daniela Georges, Emma Schanz, Kim Williams, Kaitlyn Albertoli, and Caitlin Casazza into the mix for possible recruits. Leah Stevens is likely going to either LSJU or Texas.
tedbear
BearDevil;842357457 said:

FWIW, talked to someone who is extremely well connected in swimming with both good and bad news for the Bears:

-Weitzeil is leaning toward 'SC. Her club coach is close with 'SC's Dave Salo. May be a package deal with her boyfriend, Cole Cogswell.
-Bilquist is split between 'Zona and Cal. Has no problem going to the same school as Baker.
-Lily King is kind of a mystery, but may end up at a non-traditional power (Texas A&M or Notre Dame).

-Townley Haas is also a mystery. Would be a very good complement to Nick Norman.

Georgia women have a ton of money to spend, but the Bauerle controversy is taking its toll. 2015 NCAAs may be their last hurrah if they don't replace significant losses with this recruiting class.

I'd add Daniela Georges, Emma Schanz, Kim Williams, Kaitlyn Albertoli, and Caitlin Casazza into the mix for possible recruits. Leah Stevens is likely going to either LSJU or Texas.

Great info BearDevil! Really hope the Baker news is true! Of course, I would like both Weitzeil and Bilquist, but if I had to lean toward one, I think it would be Bilquist because of her versatility in the backstroke and her upside potential.
icecream12345

Ahhhhhh. The fact that Seliskar is leaning toward LSJU hurts . Really hope that we can one of the sprinters for women's team.
OBear073akaSMFan

Not the ideal situation for boy and girl friend from HS to attend the same school. I know of one instance (not swimming) where the next yr,when they broked up one parties transferred out. With this said, were we ever pursuing Cole Cogswell :p?
BearDevil
Durden needs to replace Stubblefield and Fabio with the next recruiting class, so can't believe he wouldn't be recruiting Cogswell. Both Weitzeil and Cogswell swim for the same club team and Cogswell goes to the high school (Hart) that produced Anthony Ervin, Joe Kapp, and Kyle Boller.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-------------------

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#808080"]9/11[/COLOR]
2 for 2 on delayed flights for recruiting trips #winning

-------------------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Katrina Konopka Latest to Verbally Commit to Arizona; Making 7 Total So Far[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/katrina-konopka-latest-verbally-commit-arizona-making-7-total-far/

[COLOR="#696969"]"For all of the early recruiting success that the Arizona Wildcats have had so far, this weekend is a huge one for Rick DeMont in his first year as head coach.

They have no-fewer-than three huge recruits on campus: [U]Amy Bilquist[/U], Victoria Toris, and Katrina Konopka, the latter of whom couldn't even wait to return home to make her decision.

Konopka, from the Y-Spartaquatics Swim Club in South Carolina, pledged her intent to swim for Arizona for at least the next four years, giving Arizona the #13 recruit in the class of 2015."[/COLOR]

-------------------
socaliganbear
Seliskar
OBear073akaSMFan
socaliganbear;842357955 said:

Seliskar

Ledecky swims for the same club team. Possibly tampering:rollinglaugh:
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842358135 said:

Ledecky swims for the same club team. Possibly tampering:rollinglaugh:

Furds will probably accuse us of the very same should Kathleen decide in our favor :p (i.e. Maija's also from SwimMac)

Andrew Seliskar's on everyone's wish list it seems. But I'd be quite happy with Townley Haas

--------------

[COLOR="#3366ff"][SIZE=4]Katie McLaughlin: Taking the Next Step[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&itemid=6365&mid=14491

--------------
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842357800 said:

-------------------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Katrina Konopka Latest to Verbally Commit to Arizona; Making 7 Total So Far[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/katrina-konopka-latest-verbally-commit-arizona-making-7-total-far/

[COLOR="#696969"]"For all of the early recruiting success that the Arizona Wildcats have had so far, this weekend is a huge one for Rick DeMont in his first year as head coach.

They have no-fewer-than three huge recruits on campus: [U]Amy Bilquist[/U], Victoria Toris, and Katrina Konopka, the latter of whom couldn’t even wait to return home to make her decision.

Konopka, from the Y-Spartaquatics Swim Club in South Carolina, pledged her intent to swim for Arizona for at least the next four years, giving Arizona the #13 recruit in the class of 2015."[/COLOR]

Plot thickens on Bilquist's recruitment. She grew up in Arizona, her brother went to UofA, and her sister lives in Phoenix. Victoria Toris is her childhood BFF from Arizona/former club teammate. 'Zona's recruiting is blowing up and they probably only have room left for Bilquist and Toris. Nine recruits in a single class is shooting the moon for a women's team and they'll have issues replacing that class four years from now, but they'll get very good quickly. Thought that Florida distance stud Danielle Valley would transfer to 'Zona, but they may have burned through too much scholly money already.

The case for the Bears is still compelling: much stronger school academically (Amy's a near straight A student and her dad went to Princeton), perennial national title contender, proven coach, and she can train with Missy and perhaps Pelton, Bootsma, and Baker through 2020.

Georgia's really hurting: Baker and Bilquist are their top two targets and Konopka wasn't far behind.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.