Women's Swim Recruits

311,033 Views | 725 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I guess that McKeever cannot land everyone that she wants...Are the women finished now?
GO BEARS!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842386065 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]+1 :rollinglaugh:

However, in the spirit of NOT_SwimSwam, NOT_SwimmingWorld & NOT_MichaelAndrew, here's what NOT_UAC would probably post...

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#006400"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR="#A52A2A"]Just unearthed this news-breaking tweet from Abbey [SIZE=4]������[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Abbey Weitzeil 19 Oct [COLOR="#696969"]- Zuma Beach[/COLOR]
Too many laughs to catch up on with her [SIZE=3]��[/SIZE] #sisters #beachday
[SIZE=4][COLOR="#006400"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE]Lots of smiles and laughs as my beautiful sis celebrates Cole's + my verbal to Troy!!! @Sprintsalo @USCswim [SIZE=3]☀️�� ❤️������[/SIZE] #FightOn

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#006400"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE][U]Dave Salo, the entire $C swim & football team, all 13 freshie commits, Rebecca Soni & Jessica Hardy & Ariana Kukors[/U] [COLOR="#696969"]all like this [/COLOR][SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"]❤️❤️[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[U]Jessica Hardy[/U]: Nakey @abbeyweitzeil? [SIZE=3]��[/SIZE]
[U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U]: @swim_hardy strapless [SIZE=3]����[/SIZE]
[U]kendyl stewart[/U]: so cute! excited to see you this weekend!!!

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#006400"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]= that part didn't really happen btw :p

On a more serious note, would this be the descending order of program preferences for these 2 studly recruits? (for Bears faithful that is, not necessarily for the pair in question lol)

[U]Abbey[/U] -> Cal >> UofA > UT > USC
[U]Cole[/U] -> Cal >> UofA > USC > (Auburn) > (UGA) > Michigan > (Florida) > UT
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Schroeder71;842386182 said:

Abbey Weitzeil verbals to Troy? Ouch!

I guess that McKeever cannot land everyone that she wants...Are the women finished now?
GO BEARS!

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Hey apologies are in order for the unintended scare, sorry!!! My post was completely tongue-in-cheek (bored moment lol), as was hinted at in my original post.

You can all breather a collective sigh of relief - Abbey hasn't made her verbal yet, AFAIK

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-----------

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#006400"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE]Lots of smiles and laughs as my beautiful sis celebrates Cole's + my verbal to Troy!!! @Sprintsalo @USCswim [SIZE=3]☀️�� ❤️������[/SIZE] #FightOn
[SIZE=4][COLOR="#006400"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE][U]Dave Salo, the entire $C swim & football team, all 13 freshie commits, Rebecca Soni & Jessica Hardy & Ariana Kukors[/U] [COLOR="#696969"]all like this [/COLOR][SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"]❤️❤️[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4] [COLOR="#FF0000"]=> [/COLOR] [COLOR="#006400"]*[/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]= that part didn't really happen btw :p[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][SIZE=4] [COLOR="#FF0000"] <=[/COLOR][/SIZE]

-----------
Schroeder71
Apology happily accepted! Thank goodness. I'm not familiar enough w/ reading tweets to know if they're authentic or not. I thought that it was a bit strange how there was not a separate post regarding Abbey Weitzeil.
GO BEARS!
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842386181 said:

Does that imply UofA have basically given up on their pursuit of Abbey, by taking on their 11th commit in Ali, even if she may be relatively low-level? (and an out-of-state sprinter at that)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Don't think Powell has any effect on Abbey. By now we all understand that collegeswimming's rankings are especially flawed when ranking the very most elite recruits, but I did notice a few interesting legacy recruits ranked in the same neighborhood as Powell:

-Danville's Cailey Steffens (San Diego State commit). Her dad, Carlos Steffens, played water polo on at least one NCAA championship Cal team in the late '70s and was national player of the year. Her mom, Peggy Schnugg went to Cal and literally at least two dozen Schnuggs (many of both genders played polo for the Bears) have gone to Cal over the last 40 years. Cailey's sisters, Maggie and Jessica, are among the best water polo players in the world, Olympians who played on the farm. Despite all that, no offers from Cal or LSJU.

-Brianna Leverenz, Caitlin's sister, is in the same ball park and I doubt she swims for Cal.

PS Thanks for clearing up the GoT reference in the other thread for me. I started hyperventilating thinking Ygritte was a previously unknown one-named breaststroker/diver/sprinter combo who would walk on mid-year to crush Georgia and LSJU at 2015 NCAAs and get Missy a ring...
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842357358 said:

Alyssa Marsh and Courtney Mykkanen are both Cal legacies and 2016 backstrokers. David Marsh is the CEO of SwimMAC (club super power in Charlotte), mentored Durden at Auburn, his wife swam for the Bears, and Alyssa is BFFs with Maija and Baker. John Mykannen was a silver medalist in the '84 Olympics and swam for Nort.

Wonderful portrait of a wonderful & talented family:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-----

David Marsh - [COLOR="#696969"]21 Oct 2014[/COLOR]
Happy b-day to an Awesome mom, coach, teacher, friend, Golden Bear-my beautiful wife @kbmswim #Ioutkickedthecoverage

-----

-----

SwimMacElite - [COLOR="#696969"]21 Jan 2015[/COLOR]
.@dmswimmac @KathleenBaker2 @Katie_Meili @annabahama @timphil1 @CammileAdams @TylerClary @MatthewJosa @daxhill

[U]Carrie Brody[/U] : is that Marsh?

-----
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842385175 said:

Abbey...don't fall for the Trojan Horse.

cmfan64;842385375 said:

Forget $C, Abbey, you are destined for greatness and being on the Cal National Championship Teams with your teammates from USA Swimming !!!

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Another "like" from Abbey on social media just now! So, still a ray of hope - or is Abbey just cruelly teasing us all... :p (btw, Riley Scott also "liked" Maija's insta pix, so as usual I'm prob just jumping to wishful conclusions lol, could turn out that they are all merely connoisseurs of a good photo haha)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
------------

Maija Roses [COLOR="#696969"]22 Oct - Spieker Aquatics Complex[/COLOR]
A sick picture of Spieker during practice this morning... Love what I do and love where I do it![SIZE=4] [COLOR="#FFD700"]��[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U] [COLOR="#696969"]likes this [/COLOR][SIZE=4][COLOR="RED"]❤️[/COLOR][/SIZE]

------------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

Amy Bilquist [COLOR="#696969"]22 Oct [/COLOR]
Came home to a Cal goodie bag [SIZE=4] [COLOR="#FFD700"]��[/COLOR] [COLOR="#800000"]��[/COLOR] [COLOR="#0099ff"]��[/COLOR][/SIZE] love my fam

------
Note to Abbey (not that she'll ever see this lol): this too could be yours... (well give me a lil credit for being stubbornly persistent in rooting for the dream team to come to pass haha)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

Amy Bilquist [COLOR="#696969"]24 Oct [/COLOR]

Already putting us against each other... [COLOR="#3399ff"]#GoBears[/COLOR]

------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842387925 said:

------

Amy Bilquist [COLOR="#696969"]24 Oct [/COLOR]

Already putting us against each other... [COLOR="#3399ff"]#GoBears[/COLOR]

------

Brian? Is he a brother that is a QUACK?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842387960 said:

Brian? Is he a brother that is a QUACK?

Umm, don't really know anything other than they both share the same last name lol, and that Brian's apparently based in Portland?
Don't really feel like sleuthing or digging deeper as would like to respect their privacy, even if Amy's pretty "famous" these days (esp after her historic verbal to Cal haha) :cheer

btw that's a pretty sizable cutie pooch in the photo below, considering Amy's already 6' 3"!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

Brian Bilquist [COLOR="#696969"]8 Oct[/COLOR]
Congrats, [COLOR="#0066cc"]@amybilquist[/COLOR] on your commitment to Cal!

Brian Bilquist [COLOR="#696969"]11 Aug[/COLOR]
Happy birthday shoutout to [COLOR="#0066cc"]@amybilquist[/COLOR] !

---------
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842388075 said:

btw that's a pretty sizable cutie pooch in the photo below, considering Amy's already 6' 3"!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

Brian Bilquist [COLOR="#696969"]8 Oct[/COLOR]
Congrats, [COLOR="#0066cc"]@amybilquist[/COLOR] on your commitment to Cal!

Didn't recognize that dog without its Cal shirt on. Just assumed Amy committed to Cal because her dog had a canine Steve Jobs daily uniform.
OBear073akaSMFan

Umm, don't really know anything other than they both share the same last name lol, and that Brian's apparently based in Portland?
Don't really feel like sleuthing or digging deeper as would like to respect their privacy, even if Amy's pretty "famous" these days (esp after her historic verbal to Cal haha) :cheer

---------

well ..if mom is involved...suspect Bro and sis! He isn't just a quack..but a nerd that is a quack - a SQL programmer!!!!!!!!!!!!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842377917 said:

You're slipping, UAC. Nobody would have been stressed out about Amy's recruitment if you had just posted a picture of her dog wearing a Cal shirt earlier...

BearDevil;842388086 said:

Didn't recognize that dog without its Cal shirt on. Just assumed Amy committed to Cal because her dog had a canine Steve Jobs daily uniform.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Haha. For nostalgia's sake, here's that photo again [COLOR="#A52A2A"]#tbt[/COLOR]:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

OBear073akaSMFan;842388087 said:

well ..if mom is involved...suspect Bro and sis! He isn't a just a quack..but a nerd that is a quack - a SQL programmer!!!!!!!!!!!!

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Hey guess those smarts run in the family - as is to be expected from any recruit who's able to take on the vigorous intellectual challenges of being a Cal student! :acclaim:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842388087 said:

well ..if mom is involved...suspect Bro and sis! He isn't just a quack..but a nerd that is a quack - a SQL programmer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pretty good article on Amy's rising star - with confirmation that Brian's indeed her big brother :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2014/08/01/carmel-swimming-first-olympian/13452349/

-----

[SIZE=5]Does Carmel swimming have its first Olympian?[/SIZE]

[COLOR="#696969"]David Woods 11:37 p.m. EDT August 3, 2014[/COLOR]

CARMEL Amy Bilquist, newly relocated from Goodyear, Ariz., was getting her first tour of Carmel High School a year ago. She walked onto the pool deck and asked swimmer Claire Adams about all those plaques on the wall. Those are for state championships, Adams said.

"Oh, like how long has Carmel been, like, a swim team? Dating back to the 1800s?" Bilquist asked.

When told Carmel had won 27 girls championships in a row, Bilquist was momentarily stunned. That's an historic feat, she thought.

She contributed to a 28th straight in February. But it's what she has done this summer that could prompt a new history quiz: Who is Carmel's first Olympic swimmer? By 2016, the answer could be: Amy Bilquist.

"To be an Olympian, it wouldn't be just for myself and for my family. I'd want to do it for Carmel Swim Club," she said. "I'd want to do it for them. I cannot repay them for the stuff they do for us every day."

For all that the high school and Carmel Swim Club teams have achieved, the closest any swimmer has been to the Olympics was Jason Lancaster. He was third in the 100-meter butterfly in the 1996 U.S. trials at Indianapolis, or 22-hundredths of a second from the necessary second spot.

Bilquist wouldn't necessarily have to finish in the top two to make the team for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics. Six make it in the 100-meter freestyle to fill relay roles.

Bilquist won the 50- and 100-meter freestyles and 100-meter backstroke last week in the 18-and-under junior nationals at Irvine, Calif. She is also entered in senior nationals, which open Wednesday and is used to select teams for five international meets in 2014-15. An intermediate goal is the Junior Pan Pacific meet, set for Aug. 27-31 in Hawaii.

Carmel coach Chris Plumb acknowledged there was risk to swimming both nationals. He reasoned that it was important for Bilquist to: 1) learn to win (juniors), and 2) swim fast against the elite (seniors).

He said Bilquist felt pressure at junior nationals because she was seeded No. 1, and she proceeded to win anyway.

"I think she'll be a lot more confident going in after this, knowing she had success at this level," he said.

The 6-2 Bilquist was born in Edina, Minn., on Aug. 11, 1997. So she will be among the youngest in Carmel's Class of 2015. Her height is genetic. Her father, Brent, a former Princeton water polo player, is 6-5. Her brother, Brian, 26, is also 6-5, and sister Berit, 25, is 6-0.

The Bilquists left Minnesota when she was 4 months old and lived for 2 years in Oglesby, Ill, before moving to Arizona. Amy learned to swim at age 4 because so many Arizona residents own pools. Her competitive nature applies to everything, her father said. Whether that was volleyball or academics she has had one B and the rest A's in high school she has been ambitious.

"She sees a bigger picture than most people her age," Brent Bilquist said. "She has a good idea of where she is and where she wants to go."

As a sophomore at Verrado High School, Amy was an Arizona state champion in the 50-yard freestyle in November 2012. That was months after swimming in the Olympic Trials at Omaha, Neb., where as a 14-year-old her best finish was 64th in the 50-meter freestyle.

The family moved to Indiana for the father's job change. He became a general manager for Americold, a company for refrigerated warehousing and logistics for grocery distribution.

Bilquist said she was welcomed at Carmel, especially by the 5-11 Adams, who insisted they walk together through hallways. According to Adams, schoolmates say, " 'Wow, that girl's tall,' and I know they're not talking about me this time."

The only amendment her teammates insisted on was vocabulary. No more "salty," please.

"That's apparently what they say in Arizona. Everything was salty," Adams said. "We got rid of that one real quick."

Adjusting to a new regimen was more difficult than assimilating into a school whose enrollment of 4,400 was triple that of Verrado. There was more yardage and dry-land training, especially in weightlifting. Plumb realized Bilquist needed more strength when she couldn't do a single pull-up.

That long frame carried 140 pounds.

"I was a stick," she said.

Now she can do as many as six pull-ups. Although she is noticeably more slender than tall Olympic champions such as Missy Franklin and Allison Schmitt, Bilquist recently weighed in at 165.

Her newfound power was manifested in a June meet at Santa Clara, Calif. She was:

Third in the 50 free in 25.32 seconds. She lowered that to 25.28 at junior nationals, making her No. 4 in U.S. history in the 15-16 age group (.02 behind Franklin).

Second in the 100 backstroke in 1:01.44 and .45 behind Franklin, the Olympic gold medalist in that event. "You look up and you're like, 'Oh, world record-holder!' " Bilquist said. "How did that happen? How did I get here?" (She lowered that to 1:01.04 at junior nationals, No. 7 in 15-16 U.S. history.)

Seventh in the 100 free in 55.66.

It took 54.44 to make top six in the 100 free at the 2012 Olympic Trials. Plumb calculated it could take high 53s to make it to Rio, so Bilquist must continue dropping time to keep climbing. She clocked 54.85 at juniors, or No. 3 in 15-16 U.S. history.

Plumb called her a student of the sport who has made herself a good technician.
"She's really good at figuring stuff out, and she's a competitor," the coach said. "We started a year ago, talking about juniors. At Santa Clara, it was like, 'Whoa, she's competing with the best.' "

By the 2016 trials, Bilquist would be coming off her freshman season of college. She has become one of the nation's most coveted prospects. She isn't considering any Indiana colleges and has trimmed her list of official visits to California, Southern California, Arizona and Georgia.

Carmel Swim Club's training environment resembles that of a college team already.

Adams, 16, entering her junior year, could be an Olympic contender in 2020, if not 2016. Missouri-bound Rachel Hayden, a North Central graduate, has combined with Veronica Burchill, Adams and Bilquist to set two national relay records. Additionally, Carmel relays set three national high school records.

Such intra-team competition has been to the benefit of all.

"You can be having a bad day, and your teammates are like, 'Let's go. You can do this,' " Bilquist said. "It's no man left behind, basically. And I just love it. Everyone wants the best for each other."

Practices aren't so serious that levity is banned. Swimmers tease coaches about music choices -- 1970s alternative rock? really? -- played over the sound system. Adams has been known to dance (in the water) or sing in between sets.

Swimmers call each other by nicknames. One of Bilquist's is "Bisquick," as in the pancake mix.

"I mean, there has to be a level of fun or you're going to drive yourself crazy staring at a black line," she said.

It is essentially a given that Carmel High School will win a 29th successive title next February, a feat that would tie the national record for all sports set by Honolulu Punahou in boys swimming from 1958-86.

One reason for such a streak, according to Plumb, is that Carmel swimmers aim higher. He said the goal is never the high school state championship.

"Our goal is to help anybody here and around us, neighboring communities, to get to the nationals and swim well at nationals and junior nationals," he said. "If you do that, then the high school meet takes care of itself."

High school swimming is one of the steps, he said. It will take many more to travel the 5,155 miles to Rio.

But for someone who once couldn't do a pull-up, Bilquist is pushing her way there. The reason, she said, is she swims for something bigger than herself.

"It's a crazy dream. But to be an Olympian and represent Carmel as well, that would be a dream come true," Bilquist said.

-----

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=3][U]VIDEOS[/U][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Carmel teen swims toward Rio

http://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/high-school/2014/08/01/13452431/

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Amy Bilquist, 16, could become Carmel's first Olympic swimmer.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Carmel swim coach talks nationals

http://www.indystar.com/videos/sports/high-school/2014/08/01/13452427/

[SIZE=1][COLOR="#696969"]Carmel Swim Club coach Chris Plumb talks about Amy Bilquist, junior nationals and nationals.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

-----
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842387034 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Another "like" from Abbey on social media just now! So, still a ray of hope - or is Abbey just cruelly teasing us all... :p (btw, Riley Scott also "liked" Maija's insta pix, so as usual I'm prob just jumping to wishful conclusions lol, could turn out that they are all merely connoisseurs of a good photo haha)
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
------------
-

Now the Abbey have visited USC, hopefully we get some good news like the WBB team got, when they got a commit from PG, Asha Thomas!! A pure PG has been targeted for some 2 or 3 years!!
icecream12345
OBear073akaSMFan;842390233 said:

Now the Abbey have visited USC, hopefully we get some good news like the WBB team got, when they got a commit from PG, Asha Thomas!! A pure PG has been targeted for some 2 or 3 years!!

Yeah the WBB staff and some players seemed very excited on social media. I really hope we get Abbey too! Drum roll.....
brendschot
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842317829 said:

[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR]
[FONT="Times New Roman"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Don't forget [COLOR="DarkGreen"][U]Kathleen Baker[/U][/COLOR] either

----------------------

Here's the current recruit rankings from CollegeSwimming, FWIW: http://www.collegeswimming.com/recruiting/

[COLOR="Purple"][U]Class[/U]: 2015[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Sienna"][COLOR="Teal"]1[/COLOR] Ella F Eastin, CA
[COLOR="Teal"]2[/COLOR] Kathleen Baker, NC
[COLOR="Teal"]3[/COLOR] Sonia Wang, CA
[COLOR="Teal"]4[/COLOR] Nora E McCullagh, NC
[COLOR="Teal"]5[/COLOR] Kathleen G Ledecky, MD [COLOR="DimGray"]=> The Farm[/COLOR] :headbang
[COLOR="Teal"]6[/COLOR] Leah C Stevens, KY
[COLOR="Teal"]7[/COLOR] Kathryn A McLaughlin, CA
[COLOR="Teal"]8[/COLOR] Daniela Georges, CA
[COLOR="Teal"]9[/COLOR] Sydney E Pickrem, FL
[COLOR="Teal"]10[/COLOR] Megan J Moroney, FL
[COLOR="Teal"]23[/COLOR] Mary K Pelton, MD
[COLOR="Teal"]39[/COLOR] Riley O Scott, CA
[COLOR="Teal"]40[/COLOR] Abbigail Rose Weitzeil, CA [/COLOR]

Looks like both Riley Scott & Abbey Weitzeil are massively undervalued here @ [U]#39[/U] & [U]#40[/U] respectively, and reckon Katie McLaughlin should be ranked higher than [U]#7[/U] ...

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]CIF-SS D1 Girls: [U]Weitzeil[/U], [U]McLaughlin[/U] National High School Records Steal the Show[/COLOR][/SIZE]
http://swimswam.com/cif-ss-d1-girls-weitzeil-mclaughlin-national-high-school-records-steal-show/

[SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"][U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U] Breaks Both 50 and 100 Freestyle National High School Records[/COLOR][/SIZE]
http://swimswam.com/abbey-weitzeil-breaks-50-100-freestyle-national-high-school-records/

Anyway agree completely w/[COLOR="Blue"]tedbear[/COLOR] & [COLOR="Blue"]BearDevil[/COLOR] on any and all of these talented recruits being valuable additions to the Golden Bears family if they should elect to come here :cheer
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE="3"][FONT="Times New Roman"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Did not know that, cheers for the update.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]
[COLOR="White"].[/COLOR]

4 beautiful girls. I can't swim because i have only 1 arm.:headbang
offgamers
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842390481 said:

SwimSwam claims that one of Cosgrove, Haas, Abbey, or Aly Tetzloff has already verbally committed, but won't announce until signing day. Doubt it's either Cole or Abbey, who wouldn't still have taken a trip this past weekend if one had already committed somewhere else. UVa's really hurting since it's rare that any state, let alone VA, has the top two recruits and neither will end up in 'Hooville.

Bit behind this morning as haven't been online, for once! Anyway here's the Swimswam article BearDevil's referring to:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
http://swimswam.com/just-4-swimswam-top-20-recruits-remain-uncommitted/

-------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Just 4 of SwimSwam Top 20 Recruits Remain Uncommitted[/SIZE][/COLOR]

With just over two weeks to go before the early signing period begins for swimming recruits seeking National Letters of Intent (November 12th-November 19th), only four of SwimSwam's top 20 male and female recruits in the class of 2015 remain publicly uncommitted.

http://swimswam.com/top-20-recruiting-rankings-boys-high-school-class-2015/

http://swimswam.com/top-10-recruiting-rankings-girls-high-school-class-2015/

Two of them, #2 women's recruit [U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U] and #7 men's recruit [U]Cole Cogswell[/U], are teammates at the Canyons Aquatic Club. Those two, we know, were scheduled to take trips this past weekend to nearby USC. Weitzeil is the best sprinter coming out in the women's class, with yards bests already of 47.59 and 21.98 that would put her in A-Finals (and challenge for titles) in NCAA's.

The other publicly uncommitted male is #2-ranked [U]Townley Haas[/U], a very versatile freestyler who ranges from a 43.8 100 freestyle up to a 14:59 mile. He's Tweeted pictures on his trips to Georgia and USC.

The other publicly uncommitted female is #11 [U]Aly Tetzloff[/U] from the Crown Point Swim Club. She's a 53.5 100 backstroker, a 52.7 100 butterflier, plus 1 22.69 in the 50 free.

[U]We do know that at least one of the above has committed verbally, but that swimmer is opting to not make his/her decision public until signing a letter of intent, which will leave a little excitement for the actual signing day.[/U]

Among those who have committed from our top 20, the tallies:

[U]Women's Commits[/U]

The Pac-12 women have hauled in the majority of the top 20, with 13 out of the 18 committed thus far going to the west coast. Note that the two-time defending NCAA Champions from Georgia don't have verbals from any of the top 20 recruits though they did well enough in recruiting in the last two years that they won't exactly be hurting.

Stanford 3
Cal 3
Arizona 3
USC 3
Texas 2
Harvard 1
Indiana 1
UCLA 1
Virginia 1

[U]Men's Commits[/U]

On the men's side, there's still a heavy Pac-12 bias, with USC, Cal, and Stanford combining for 8 of the 18 committed, however on the men's side there's quite a few destinations that are off of the beaten path as compared to the women's side, including three who committed to teams that placed 30th-or-lower at NCAA's last year.

USC 3
Cal 3
Notre Dame 2
Stanford 2
Florida 2
Auburn 1
Georgia 1
Texas 1
Louisville 1
South Carolina 1
Kentucky 1

-------

[U]Swimswam reader comments[/U]

[COLOR="#696969"]
Braden Keith (Author) : "these summaries are based on the SwimSwam top 20 rankings, which have a different rankings methodology than the College Swimming rankings."

bobo gigi : "Yes, very different methodology. :lol:
Leah Stevens is ranked 1st on College Swimming.
Katie Ledecky 7th!
Miss Weitzeil 42nd!"

juswimmin : "Oh no Bobo you're totally wrong lol! Ms Weitzeil isn't even valued that high, she's actually rated #53!!! http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/349579/

Hey am totally kosher with it when CollegeSwimming's Top 20 ranking differs by a few places from Swimswam's. There are documented differences in their methodology and criteria, and they serve different audiences though there's some overlap. Someone like Katie McLaughlin for instance #4 on SS's list, but #7 on CS. I can go with that. Kathleen Baker also seems to be accurately valued at #3 by both sites. Yup I'm aware too that a distance swimmer, no matter how special (i.e. a Ledecky), may be valued lower on the collegiate totem pole due to her limited relay scoring potential.

However, when looking at Abbey Weitzeil's #53 rating by CS, or Amy Bilquist's #19 ranking, or Lilly King at #46??? No disrespect to Leah Stevens either, she's clearly the 2nd best distance recruit in the class but #1 while Ledecky is #7??!"

SwimPhan : "College Swimming rankings have no credibility and don't come close to passing the "snicker test". Ledecky is considered the best distance freestyler of all time (ahead of even legendary Janet Evans) and she only ranks #7? Weitzeil could potentially score in the NCAA "A" final and is only #42. Swim Swam has both accurate rankings and timely reporting."

jman : "i haven't looked at the ranking systems closely but the primary difference i see is that collegeswimming is all stats based and requires multiple swims at a certain level to score well (and relies on swims entered in certain meets and user inputted times) and Swimswam uses a human to look at the likelihood of a swimmer helping score NCAA points based on previous year's data. Huge difference there. I'm only speculating but when college coaches are sniffing out potential recruits i would think they go to USA Swimming rankings first before either of these others."

Braden Keith (Author) : "like I said, we respect collegeswimming and what they do, we just happen to disagree with the way their top 20 recruiting rankings, that's all.
At the end of the day, it's all just educated guessing, which we understand is more interesting to fans of swimming than the people being written about. CollegeSwimming has a recruiting service with a paid subscription for college coaches, and therefore is left with a little bit of a different goal than us, though I think there's value in what they do for the average swim fan as well, because as you pointed out, their rankings go very deep."

anonymous : "The pick up that Michigan got with Siobhan Haughey was a significant one where would she fall in the rankings?"

Braden Keith (Author) : "anonymous that's an interesting question. If you convert her 25.3 long course 50 to around a 21.2 or 21.3, and her 54.4 in long course to around a 47.6 or so in the 100 free..that would have to put her at a bare minimum in the top 10, probably just behind Bilquist (who's just a little more versatile with her backstrokes)."

hongkong : "Haughey is amazingly quick.#2 behind Ledecky"

Anonymous : "She is also a 1:59 200 fr and 2:13 200 IM"

NickH : "Haughey also has a pretty decent 200IM."

duckduckgoose : "NCAA held hearing on Georgia/Jack Bauerle a week ago. When will they announce their findings and is the timing of their findings holding up Townley Haas' and Aly Tetzloff's commitments?"

Braden Keith (Author) : "duckduckgoose we keep asking, but are getting a lot of tight lips both from official and unofficial sources.
Seems like there should be a decision by now."
[/COLOR]

-------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842390541 said:

Bit behind this morning as haven't been online, for once! Anyway here's the Swimswam article BearDevil's referring to:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
http://swimswam.com/just-4-swimswam-top-20-recruits-remain-uncommitted/

[U]We do know that at least one of the above has committed verbally, but that swimmer is opting to not make his/her decision public until signing a letter of intent, which will leave a little excitement for the actual signing day.[/U]

Early signing period for NLI Nov 12th thru Nov 19th! Can you say Torture, if it is Abbey, though I know people on the board doesn't think it is her or Cole! If it not her, I would think she would be announcing soon!!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842390541 said:

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Just 4 of SwimSwam Top 20 Recruits Remain Uncommitted[/SIZE][/COLOR]

With just over two weeks to go before the early signing period begins for swimming recruits seeking National Letters of Intent (November 12th-November 19th), only four of SwimSwam's top 20 male and female recruits in the class of 2015 remain publicly uncommitted.

http://swimswam.com/top-10-recruiting-rankings-girls-high-school-class-2015/

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Recap of the Top 20 female recruits for 2015 with their updated verbals, summarized from the above [U]Swimswam[/U] article:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[U][CENTER][SIZE=4]Top 10 Swimmers From The Class of 2015[/SIZE][/CENTER][/U]

-----

[COLOR="#B22222"]1. Katie Ledecky Nation's Capital Swim Club [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Stanford[/U]**[/COLOR]
Best times in yards: 1650 free (15:15.17), 500 free (4:28.71), 200 free (1:42.03), 200 fly (1:55.88), 100 free (49.18)

While some of the names further down this list will add more relay value to their respective future teams, there isn't really any argument here. Ledecky is already a potential triple-winner, despite being still a year removed from competing at the NCAA level. She's already lightyears ahead of the rest of the world in the 500 and 1650 freestyles, and with Missy Franklin likely going pro after next season, the 200 freestyle is her's to lose, as well.

The scary thing about Ledecky have we actually seen her come down completely for a short course meet yet? While she was certainly hyped and ready for her U.S. Open records in the 500 and 1650 this past February, what could happen when she really puts it all into a short course meet? We saw that this year with Missy Franklin, when she finally got a chance to swim a fully tapered short course 200 freestyle (the result was a 1:40.31). Much like Franklin's 200, or Kevin Cordes' breaststrokes on the men's side, we could be seeing some video game times from Ledecky next March.[/COLOR]

-----

[COLOR="#003399"]2. Abbey Weitzeil Canyons Aquatic Club [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Cal[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 free (47.59), 50 free (21.98), 200 free (1:45.49), 100 back (54.63), 500 free (4:49.33), 100 fly (55.23)

Weitzeil is easily the top sprinter in this class; she's the only swimmer under 22.1 and 48.2, and will instantly have a spot on both freestyle relays for every squad in the country. Her 21.98 and 47.59 are already fast enough for two A-finals, and her 1:45.49 is just out of scoring contention in the 200 free.

Historically, Weitzeil stacks up as one of the top prep sprinters in history. Only Simone Manuel and Janet Hu have been faster in the 50 freestyle, while Manuel, Missy Franklin, and Leah Neal are the only names in front of Weitzeil in the 100.

-----

3. Kathleen Baker SwimMAC Carolina [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Cal[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 back (51.51), 200 IM (1:54.50), 200 free (1:43.61), 100 breast (59.37), 100 free (48.20), 100 fly (52.68), 200 back (1:54.30), 50 free (22.63), 400 IM (4:11.38)

Fun facts:

Baker is already fast enough to qualify for NCAA's in nine different individual events, including four events where she would have A-finaled (100 back, 200 IM, 200 free, and 100 breast).
She also would have scored in the 100 freestyle, meaning that as a junior in high school, Baker is already fast enough to earn points in three of the four 100's of stroke.
Butterfly is her weak stroke, where she is "only" the third-fastest swimmer in the class of 2015 in the 100 fly (52.68, good for 26th last year at NCAA's).
Baker has three individual events within the last year where she has exceeded 1000 Power Points according to USA Swimming's time database. No swimmer in this class (other than Ledecky) has broken that 1000-point barrier more than once.

With this kind of versatility and speed, just about any other year, Baker would find herself in the number one spot. Wherever Baker ends up, the coaching staff is going to "burdened" with the "problem" of deciding which events to have her swim.

-----

4. Kathryn McLaughlin Mission Viejo Nadadores [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Cal[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 fly (51.78), 200 fly (1:54.48), 200 free (1:44.66), 50 free (22.70), 100 free (49.52)

The only swimmer under 52.5 and 1:55.3, McLaughlin is the fastest flyer in this class by a long-shot, with times already good enough for NCAA finals in both distances. She's also a quality freestyler, with a 200 time that would have landed her a consolation spot last season. While she will be hard-pressed to compete in both the 100 fly and 200 free (they are back-to-back events on day two of NCAA's), her 1:44.6 will be a big boost to 800 free relays anywhere, and could potentially even become her event of choice on day two.

-----

5. Amy Bilquist Carmel Swim Club [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Cal[/U]**[/COLOR]
50 free (22.15), 100 back (52.58), 200 back (1:56.33), 100 free (48.93), 200 free (1:47.44), 100 fly (54.33)

Carmel Swim Club has churned out some great swimmers in recent years, but Bilquist is truly special. As the top 50 swimmer in this class after Weitzeil, Bilquist will be an instant boost on any 200 free relay. Although she is not quite as polished over a 100, her 100 free and 100 back times still incredibly strong, giving Bilquist a great three-event combination for NCAA's.

The most notable thing from Bilquist has been her consistently large year-over-year improvement: [COLOR="#696969"](sorry - chart not reproduced here, as can't easily format its placement accurately due to my poor coding skills!)[/COLOR]

Bilquist has been chopping off chunks of time for each of the last three years, and still has plenty of room for improvement.

-----
[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#B22222"]6. Ella Eastin SOCAL Aquatics Association [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Stanford[/U]**[/COLOR]
200 IM (1:55.58), 400 IM (4:05.25), 50 free (23.39), 100 free (49.77), 100 back (53.72), 100 fly (53.93), 500 free (4:44.47)[/COLOR]

7. Quinn Carrozza Longhorn Aquatics [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Texas[/U]**[/COLOR]
200 free (1:44.94), 500 free (4:40.00), 400 IM (4:15.94), 200 back (1:55.07), 100 back (55.55)

8. Taylor Garcia Byron Center [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Arizona[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 back (52.07), 200 back (1:55.85), 100 fly (53.69), 50 free (23.54), 100 free (52.82)

9. Lilly King Newburgh Sea Creatures [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Indiana[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 breast (59.67), 200 breast (2:11.17), 200 IM (2:01.00)

10. Nora McCullagh SwimMAC Carolina [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Texas[/U]**[/COLOR]
50 free (22.69), 100 free (49.07), 100 back (53.59), 400 IM (4:10.33), 200 free (1:46.22), 200 back (1:57.30), 200 IM (1:59.31)

[U][CENTER][SIZE=4]Next 10 Names[/SIZE][/CENTER][/U]

11. Aly Tetzloff Crown Point Swim Club [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Auburn[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 back (53.59), 100 fly (52.70), 200 IM (2:00.01), 50 free (22.69), 200 back (1:59.78), 100 free (50.02)

12. Sonia Wang Redlands Swim Team [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Harvard[/U]**[/COLOR]
400 IM (4:10.83), 200 fly (1:55.75), 200 IM (1:58.52), 100 fly (53.03), 100 back (53.77)

13. Katrina Konopka Y-Spartaquatics Swim Club [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Arizona[/U]**[/COLOR]
50 free (22.46), 100 back (54.24), 100 fly (54.02), 100 free (49.90), 200 back (1:59.79)

14. Riley Scott Marin Pirates [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]USC[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 breast (1:00.52), 200 breast (2:11.18), 200 IM (1:59.98)

15. Caroline McTaggart All Star Aquatics [COLOR="#FF0000"][/COLOR][COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]UCLA[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 free (48.99), 50 free (22.73), 100 fly (54.06), 200 free (1:48.82), 200 fly (2:03.63)

16. Megan Moroney Saint Andrew's Swimming [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Virginia[/U]**[/COLOR]
100 back (53.96), 200 free (1:46.01), 100 fly (53.49), 100 free (49.51), 200 fly (1:59.83)

17. Daniela Georges Aquazot Swim Club [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Arizona[/U]**[/COLOR]
500 free (4:39.82), 200 free (1:45.83), 100 back (54.21), 200 fly (1:56.96), 200 IM (1:58.97)

18. Sydney Lofquist Mason Manta Rays [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]USC[/U]**[/COLOR]
500 free (4:42.28), 400 IM (4:10.90), 200 IM (2:00.13), 200 fly (1:59.44), 1650 free (16:44.67)

[COLOR="#B22222"]19. Leah Stevens Lakeside Swim Team [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]Stanford[/U]**[/COLOR]
1650 free (16:07.77), 500 free (4:43.10), 400 IM (4:12.98), 200 IM (1:59.95), 200 free (1:47.95)[/COLOR]

20. Madison Wright Kingfish Aquatic [COLOR="#FF0000"]**Verbally committed to [U]USC[/U]**[/COLOR]
200 fly (1:55.30), 100 fly (53.14), 500 free (4:46.75)

-----
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----------
Yet another compelling reason for Abbey (& Cole) to come to Berkeley...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-----------

[SIZE=4][COLOR="#A52A2A"]Best Global Universities Rankings[/COLOR][/SIZE]

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/rankings

These institutions from the U.S. and nearly 50 other countries have been ranked based on 10 indicators that measure their academic research performance and their global and regional reputations.

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/articles/methodology

Students can use these rankings to explore the higher education options that exist beyond their own countries' borders and to compare key aspects of schools' research missions. These are the world's top 500 universities.

Sorted by [U]Global Rank[/U]

#1 Harvard University 100
#2 Massachusetts Institute of Technology 88.9
[SIZE=3]#3 [U]University of California--Berkeley[/U] 88.0[/SIZE]
#4 [U]Stanford University[/U] 85.1
#5 University of Oxford 83.6
#6 University of Cambridge 83.3
#7 California Institute of Technology 80.3
#8 [U]University of California--Los Angeles[/U] 80.1
#9 University of Chicago 77.4
#10 Columbia University 77.3
#30 (tie) [U]University of Texas--Austin[/U] 67.9
#50 [U]University of Southern California[/U] 63.3
#64 [U]University of Arizona[/U] 60.9
#205 (tie) [U]University of Georgia[/U] 45.9

-----------

CBS This Morning - [COLOR="#696969"]28 Oct[/COLOR]
The top universities in the world, via [COLOR="#3366cc"]@USNews [/COLOR]

-----------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842378413 said:

All hail Teri. She took a tremendous calculated risk in targeting 5 elite recruits who could deliver another NCAA title to Berkeley. Had she missed it could have been a disaster, but she burned her boats and landed at least 60% of those recruits. Teri's first NCAA championship team had the highest team GPA of all 27 varsity sports on campus and she's been chasing that standard ever since. Her teams aren't going to win every year, but they'll never embarrass the ideals of our beloved University. Fiat Lux!

If Abbey (and Cole) want to come, it's a no-brainer that Teri and Durden will welcome them both with open arms. Gets interesting if Weitzeil goes somewhere else. If Teri truly believes she has a legitimate shot at another NCAA title this season, she'll use Batchelor's second semester $s to seek out a potential mid-year transfer/entrant breaststroker or distance scorer ala Chuck Katis last season. If she's looking to 2016, she'll add another sprinter (Siobhan) for next season. Think Teri probably waits to the late signing period. There's an extremely low probability that Missy doesn't turn pro and Teri has to at least consider that possibility, no matter how remote it may be.

Another bonus of adding Amy is that it builds a bridge to the next generation of US national swimmers. Kathleen, Katie, and that chick who foolishly went to the farm bonded as teammates on the junior national team. Kathleen and Katie were on the senior national team while Amy was on the junior national team this Summer. Other than Becca Mann, the next generation of US stars were [U]Amy[/U]'s teammates: Katie Drabot, Stanzi Mosely, Allie Szekely, Sierra Schmidt, and Madison Homovich. Might as well get them into the pipeline now.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842378472 said:

Definitely budding studs from the next gen to keep an eye out on, I really like your comprehensive list! Sierra's on-the-blocks dancing routine would sure add some color & fun to future meets heh.

Not that conversant with their short course metrics, but I'd also consider the likes of Meghan Small, Cassidy Bayer, Courtney Harnish & Isabella Rongione who all appear to have considerable potential. Not to neglect Emily Eastin, Courtney Mykkanen, and Alyssa Marsh either as had been brought up by BearDevil - esp if we want to pile on some serious backstroking depth

BearDevil;842391089 said:

With [U]Eastin[/U] and [U]Kim Williams[/U] there too, it's pretty clear that Cassidy Bayer and Hannah Kukurugya will be added to the names already mentioned as the bulk of Cal and LSJU targets for the next several recruiting classes.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842391115 said:

Cassidy for sure...
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/273831/

Hannah also added to the Cal swim fans radar for 2017
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/243872/

And of course Allie's already on our watch list:
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/291741/

Well while no commitment news have yet emerged from the [COLOR="#8B4513"]Abbey-Cole[/COLOR] camp ~tick tock~, let's consider a few of the top 2016-2017 recruits.

Katie Drabot's stats (CollegeSwimming's [COLOR="#FF0000"]#1[/COLOR] ranked recruit in the class of 2016):
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/179880/

Hmmm, also looks like 2015 furd recruits [U]Ella[/U] & [U]Kim[/U] are already working overtime to turn these 2016 superstuds to the dark side during their current World Cup tour in Asia... :nono:
Luckily we have our own super recruit [U]Kathleen[/U] on site for counterbalance ([U]Caitlin[/U]'s there too) ... with [U]Amy[/U] chipping in from back home :cheer
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

Ella Eastin [COLOR="#696969"]25 Oct[/COLOR]
Made some new friends [SIZE=3][COLOR="#FF0000"]��[/COLOR][/SIZE] [COLOR="#3366cc"]teamUSAtakestokyo[/COLOR]

---------

Ella Eastin [COLOR="#696969"]28 Oct[/COLOR] [COLOR="#808080"]@ Tokyo Tatsumi International Swimming Center[/COLOR]
USA is bae [SIZE=3]❤️ ���� ��[/SIZE] [COLOR="#3366cc"]#onfleek #safesport #murica[/COLOR]
(Ella Eastin, Kim Williams, Cassidy Bayer and Hannah Kukurugya)

---------

Cassidy Bayer [COLOR="#696969"]28 Oct[/COLOR]
Rockin the USA gear with my girl! [SIZE=3] ���� �� [/SIZE]

[U]Hannah Kukurugya[/U] : [COLOR="#3366cc"]@CassidyBayer @ella_eastin [/COLOR] photo creds [SIZE=3]��[/SIZE]
[U]Ella Eastin[/U] : [COLOR="#3366cc"]@CassidyBayer [/COLOR] [SIZE=3]❤️ �� ����[/SIZE]

---------

SwimSwam [COLOR="#696969"]28 Oct[/COLOR]
[U]Katie Drabot[/U]'s bronze medal in the 200 free in Tokyo on Tuesday night was the 9th-fastest by an American of all-time. [COLOR="#3366cc"]#tokyowc[/COLOR]

Kim Williams [COLOR="#696969"]28 Oct[/COLOR]
^that's my roomie SO SO proud of you [COLOR="#3366cc"]@katiedrabot[/COLOR] [SIZE=3]<3[/SIZE]

---------

Katie Drabot [COLOR="#696969"]29 Oct[/COLOR]
Representing my country while doing the thing I love #WorldCup [SIZE=3]����[/SIZE]

[U][COLOR="#ffcc00"]Amy Bilquist[/COLOR][/U] : Yassss get em Wonderbread I love you!!! [SIZE=3]���� �� ��[/SIZE]
[U][COLOR="#B22222"]Kim Williams[/COLOR][/U] : So proud of you [SIZE=3]�� ��[/SIZE]
[U][COLOR="#ffcc00"]Kathleen Baker[/COLOR][/U] : Love this and you!!
[U][COLOR="#B22222"]Ella Eastin[/COLOR][/U] : Caption creds

---------

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#696969"]29 Oct[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#3366cc"]@chadleclos[/COLOR] thanks for borrowing our lotion [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE] [COLOR="#3366cc"] #girlsnextdoor[/COLOR]
(Kim Williams, Ella Eastin, Katie Drabot, Chad Le Clos, Kathleen Baker and Allie Szekely)

[U]Chad Le Clos[/U] : [COLOR="#3366cc"]@KathleenBaker2[/COLOR] haha thank u, feeling good now

---------

Cassidy Bayer [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]26 Oct[/COLOR] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]Tokyo Tatsumi International Swimming Center[/COLOR]
Taking on Tokyo with the rommie [SIZE=3] ❤️ �� ���� [/SIZE]

USA Swimming [COLOR="#696969"]30 Oct[/COLOR]
Members of the 18&U World Cup Team at Tokyo's famed Shibuya Crossing. Next stop, Singapore!

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

http://swimswam.com/hong-kong-national-teamer-jamie-yeung-verbally-commits-michigan/

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Hong Kong National Teamer Jamie Yeung Verbally Commits to Michigan[/SIZE][/COLOR]

A second member of the Hong Kong National Team system, Jamie Yeung, has verbally committed to the University of Michigan. She will join national cohort Siobhan Haughey, a Junior World Champion, in training with the Wolverines.

Unlike Haughey, a sprinter, Yeung is a breaststroker who won a pair of bronze medals at the 2013 Youth Asian Games, where she swam a 1:11.3 in the 100 long course breast and 2:34.80 in the 200 breast in long course – both of which are best times. She also adds a 32.69 in the 50 long course meter breaststrokes.

“There are several reasons why I decided to come study and train in the US,” Yeung said of her decision. “One being the US has a system that really supports student athletes, especially UMich where their swimming and academic programs are both excellent.”

Having these two training together in Ann Arbor provides potential for the Hong Kong national federation as well, given that now the back-half of what should be their national medley relay will be training (and probably racing) together on a regular basis.

Yeung says that while she’s excited to have Haughey as a teammate, she largely made this decision because it’s what is right for her.

“I went to the Children’s Games back in 2012, Youth Olympics and Asian Games with her in the past few months,” Yeung said. “She’s a swimmer I look up to and I’m very excited to be able to attend the same Uni as her. However, her decision to go to Michigan was just a small impact on my decision because there are so many great swimmers and coaches that are already there.”

The Michigan Wolverine women haven’t finished in the top 10 at NCAA’s since a 9th-place finish in 2008, but have been trending in the right direction since Mike Bottom took over the women’s program two seasons ago.

Besides Haughey and Jeung, this Michigan recruiting class is one, on top of the last two the Wolverines have had, that could start to lift this program back to that top 10 level. Others in the class:
• Astrid Swensen (54.6/1:57.8 butterflier);
• Becca Postoll (23.3/50.1 freestyler);
• Catie Deloof (23.6/50.1 freestyler);
• Katie Duggan (4:47/16:33 distance freestyler)

---------

Swimswam - [COLOR="#696969"]15 Nov[/COLOR]
Junior World Record holder Siobhan Haughey has officially signed her letter of intent to swim for the Michigan Wolverines! #swim #collegeswimming #swimming #swimswam

---------
Georgia had also landed their 2nd verbal for 2015 yesterday - [U]Sam Fazio[/U], ranked #95 here:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/236728/

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

http://swimswam.com/poll-results-stanford-best-womens-recruiting-class-two-weeks-until-signing-day/

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Poll Results: Stanfurd Has The Best Women's Recruiting Class with Two Weeks Until Signing Day[/SIZE][/COLOR]

With just 13 days go until the early signing period opens on November 12th, our readers have decided that the Stanford women's recruiting class of 2015 is the best so far.

Of course, this is a fluid vote, as classes change every day, but it's hard to argue much with the choice of Stanford. The Cardinal have verbal commitments not just from the #1 recruit in the class of 2015 Katie Ledecky, but also from #6 Ella Eastin. The Cal women have three of the top 5 recruits in National Teamers Kathleen Baker and Katie McLaughlin, plus Junior National Champion Amy Bilquist.

There's still two publicly-uncommitted members of our top 20 recruit ranking, Abbey Weitzeil and Ally Tetzloff. If Weitzeil were to end up at USC (she took a visit there last weekend), the Trojans would move heavily into this conversation, as they've already gotten commitments from #'s 14, 18, and 20.

Stanford 48.5%
Cal 25.5%
Texas 7.5%
Arizona 7.4%
Other 7.0%
Indiana 4.0%

---------

:nono: :facepalm :nono:

---------
[COLOR="#696969"]
[U]Swimswam reader comment[/U]
Matthew: Weitzell could change everything. If Cal gets her they have to be the top. I don't think she visited Stanford, right?
[/COLOR]
---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
dgong;842393252 said:

I realize that Teri is preparing the team for March 2015, and Oct results don't mean much in the big picture, but Cal is really hurting in breaststroke which will hurt us at NCAAs. We also lack an elite free sprinter to add to our relays. We are stacked in Back and Fly with the recent recruit classes but our top priority in the next recruiting round should be a great breaststroker.

BearDevil;842393302 said:

There are minimal complaints about Teri's recruiting. On paper, Kong and Marina were can't miss breaststrokers as recruits, but it hasn't happened yet. Same thing with Vredeveld in the sprints. The lack of breaststroke development probably had an effect on locals Heidi Poppe (LSJU) and Riley Scott ('SC). There was mutual interest early, but neither worked out. Teri also recruited UVa legacy, Leah Smith, but she was never coming West. Cierra's development is key, she's already made Pan Pacs before college and Teri's last distance star was Lauren Boyle. There are a fair amount of recruitable distance prospects (Becca Mann, Sierra Schmidt, Madison Homovich) in the pipeline, but Cierra needs to remain on an upward trajectory for some of those to become Bears.

tedbear;842393379 said:

BearDevil, who are our future breaststroke recruit hopefuls? I was looking at a Junior Pan Pacs list and it looks like all the top times were current freshmen, like Emily Kopas (Michigan) or Joire Caneta (ASU). Caneta is from Bakersfield, how did we not know about her? What about internationals? Kanako Watanabe? Hahaha!

Hijacking the above conversation from the "[U]Women's Swimming: 2014-2015 Schedule & Roster[/U]" thread if I may lol.

Premium [U]breast[/U] specialists are a relatively rare commodity I believe, and finding one who can make a major contribution to a minimum of both medley relays, as well as score in both BR individuals + a 3rd event (usually 200 IM) is an even more challenging assignment!

Kathleen Baker with all her incredible versatility could become a potent tool for us next year even though breaststroke isn't her area of specialization, but would probably be best not to have to rely upon her other than for relay duty on this stroke esp with Rio coming up!. May well have to try for a killer international recruit such as Kanako or a transfer as was suggested by tedbear?

If we were looking forward a class or two beginning with 2016, at one point I'd definitely would have volunteered Allie Szekely as a priority recruiting target for our future breastroke stud. However she seems to have shifted to the backstroke as her premium event as of late, so hmm.... :
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#008080"][SIZE=3]Breaststroke Prodigy Allie Szekely Re-Emerging in Backstroke[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://www.swimmingworldmagazine.com/news/breaststroke-prodigy-allie-szekely-re-emerging-in-backstroke/

http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/291741/
An encouraging sign is Allie's apparent interest in Cal, at least if we were to place any trust in our psychic tea leaves readings lol:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Cierra Runge - [COLOR="#696969"]19 Nov[/COLOR]
Big Game week at Berkeley. GO BEARS!! [SIZE=3] �� �� [/SIZE]

[COLOR="#FF0000"][U]Allie Szekely[/U] [COLOR="#808080"]likes this[/COLOR] ��
[U]Abbey Weitzeil[/U] [COLOR="#808080"]likes this[/COLOR] ��[/COLOR]

------

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842391115 said:

Looks like those sneaky furds are already hard at work recruiting lol

Felicia Lee [COLOR="#696969"]30 Oct[/COLOR] [SIZE=1]@ Elizabeth Beisel ⚓, Kathleen Baker, and Kim Williams[/SIZE]
Thanks Tokyo for the GT's!! We love Japan!! Now off to Singapore. #SWC2014

Hannah Kukurugya [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]1 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#696969"][/COLOR][COLOR="#A9A9A9"]@ Singapore City, Singapore[/COLOR]
Explore the Universe [SIZE=3]�� ��[/SIZE]

[U]Cassidy Bayer[/U] : I guess your cute
[U]Allie Szekely[/U] : ^you're
[U]Kim Williams[/U] : ^Stanford material right there [SIZE=3]��[/SIZE]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842391632 said:

Luckily we have our own super recruit [U]Kathleen[/U] on site for counterbalance

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#808080"]2 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]@ World Cup 2014[/COLOR]
Been around the world, don't speak the language But our swimming don't need explaining #10meter #notdivers

------

USA Swimming Stats [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]2 Nov[/COLOR]
9 different girls hold national age group records in 14 events in the 13-14 scy rankings. #majorspeed

------

Hannah Kukurugya [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]28 Oct[/COLOR] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]@ Katie Drabot[/COLOR]
S/o to my Bae [COLOR="#0066cc"]@katiedrabot[/COLOR] who won bronze tonight in the 200 free. So proud of you!!! This Girls on fleek!![SIZE=3] �� ���� ��[/SIZE]

------

Ella Eastin [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]3 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]World Cup 2014[/COLOR]
Thanks for the memories [SIZE=3] ❤️ ���� �� [/SIZE] best group of ladies and best team out there. #DreamTeam #oosa

Kathleen Baker [COLOR="#696969"]3 Nov[/COLOR]
Regardless of this 35 hour travel day, So thankful for the amazing opportunity I had to represent team USA in Asia [SIZE=3] [COLOR="#FF0000"]❤️[/COLOR] [COLOR="#0099ff"]��[/COLOR] [/SIZE]

------
BearDevil
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842392308 said:

Georgia had also landed their 2nd verbal for 2015 yesterday - [U]Sam Fazio[/U], ranked #95 here:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/236728/

Whole situation surrounding Georgia seems really strange:

-NCAA met a few weeks ago and still haven't announced findings. If they were going to completely absolve Bauerle/Georgia, they would have done so by now.
-Since recruits (especially on the women's side) have largely abandoned/avoided Georgia, it appears that the athletic department hasn't given interim head coach Harvey Humphries a vote of confidence. If they had, he could tell recruits that nothing was going to change. May open the door to completely cleaning house and bringing in Greg Meehan or Carol Capitani (former long-time Georgia asst). Either choice would benefit Cal.
-Kinda surprised that SwimSwam hasn't announced Georgia's second commit. They're all over commits to schools I've never heard of, so a Georgia commit, especially considering the circumstances, would be newsworthy.

Also don't get what the hold up is for Abbey and Cole. There's no way that any school is awaiting a decision from a more coveted/valuable recruit than Abbey. Haas could be conceivably ahead of Cole at 'SC or Texas, but I doubt Durden's waiting on anyone else.
OBear073akaSMFan
Also don't get what the hold up is for Abbey and Cole.

Looking more and more like they are a 2'fer or Abbey is the silent recruit. We should find out shortly with the early signning period, nov 12th.
tedbear
What are these rumors about a silent? To us, or some other school? I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a little anxious about Abbey and Cole's impending decision. I keep checking back here at least twice a day hoping for good news, but still nothing. Well, like OBear said, we will know soon.
OBear073akaSMFan
tedbear;842396335 said:

What are these rumors about a silent? To us, or some other school? /QUOTE] in one of swimswam's articles I believe the one where they mentioned of the top 20 recruits in each gender, therevwere only 4 unassigned (2 guys & 2womem) but one was a silentbrecruit and would come out durijg the earlybsigning period. Sorrybfor my mistake...my fingers are too big forva tablet!
BearDevil
Abbey, Cole, Townley Haas, and Aly Tetzloff are the four uncommitted top 20 recruits. Allegedly one has already given a silent verbal to an unnamed school, but wants to wait until signing day to announce publicly.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------
Yeah all the radio silence, ummm I mean absence of concrete news/social media hints, concerning Abbey & Cole's collegiate decisions is really starting to take its toll on me, ha -- and I'm sure on more than a few of you as well lol

Don't mind a good mystery or behind-the-scenes intrigue once in a while tho, just to mix things up...but only if the end results fall in our favor hehe

Bit of minor news - Anelise Diener has verbaled to [U]UT[/U]. Don't believe this will reduce the chances of Abbey committing to Capitani (i.e. other than just my wishful thinking :p), since Anelise appears to be a mid/low level in state recruit for the Longhorns who won't be eating up that much of their scholly funds:

http://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/170301/

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

tedbear;842396335 said:

I keep checking back here at least twice a day hoping for good news, but still nothing.

icecream12345;842396377 said:

hahaha i'm on the same boat!

Hmmm... so you guys are the guilty parties responsible for bumping up this topic's view count to a whopping 29,423 (and counting)...eh eh?!
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------
icecream12345
tedbear;842396335 said:

What are these rumors about a silent? To us, or some other school? I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting a little anxious about Abbey and Cole's impending decision. I keep checking back here at least twice a day hoping for good news, but still nothing. Well, like OBear said, we will know soon.

hahaha i'm on the same boat!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

BearDevil;842388086 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Looks like from the puppy pic below that Luke wasn't always as big lol
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]7 Nov[/COLOR]
My favorite boy [COLOR="#ff00cc"]#Luke [/COLOR]

----------

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842397389 said:

Maija Roses [COLOR="#696969"]6 Nov[/COLOR] [COLOR="#A9A9A9"]@ Spieker Aquatics Complex[/COLOR]
CAL vs Wisconsin. Tomorrow. 1 pm. Be there. [SIZE=3] �� [/SIZE] #RollOnYouBears #GoBears ##gopro [COLOR="#0066cc"]@gopro[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#800080"]Abbey Weitzeil[/COLOR] [COLOR="#808080"]and [COLOR="#000000"]289[/COLOR] others like this[/COLOR][SIZE=4][COLOR="#FF0000"] �� [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Guess there's still a smidgen of hope remaining for Abbey to become a baby bear then...go dream team, oh pls pls make it happen! :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
juarezbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842397902 said:

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Looks like from the puppy pic below that Luke wasn't always as big lol
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Amy Bilquist - [COLOR="#696969"]7 Nov[/COLOR]
My favorite boy [COLOR="#ff00cc"]#Luke [/COLOR]

----------

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Guess there's still a smidgen of hope remaining for Abbey to become a baby bear then...go dream team, oh pls pls make it happen! :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Are you saying there's a smidgen because you're hearing she's heading elsewhere?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
juarezbear;842397921 said:

Are you saying there's a smidgen because you're hearing she's heading elsewhere?

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]I'm no BearDevil, so can't lay claim to any juicy inside info on Ms. Weitzeil leaning towards a particular college whether it be ours or a rival's :blush

All my intuition and instinct's screaming at me tho that Abbey's destined to become a key cog in potentially one of the most exciting & talented recruiting classes in Cal's recent swimming history (no disrespect to Missy & co. hehe)... yet the ongoing "delay" in announcing her commitment's admittedly taking a bit of a toll in my confidence on Abbey "making the right choice" lol

Have no idea either how high of a priority (if any) Abbey's placing on a possible package deal involving her and Cole ... and how this might affect her decision to come to Cal...

So guess was really just trying to cover my butt by throwing "smidgen" in there, should all my hopes be cruelly dashed next week haha You can all rest a lil easier now knowing that there hasn't been any hints of Abbey favoring another school over ours - AFAIK! :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.