Women's Swim Recruiting: Class of 2016

163,686 Views | 423 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Drabot looking more and more like Teri's top priority-extremely versatile and can help Bears in areas of need: middle distance and IM. Potential 2017 800 relay: Cierra, Baker, Katie M, Drabot. Would allow Abbey to swim 200, 400, and anchor both medleys. Bilquist also in the mix. Jenna Cambell has some upside.

Longshot (ASU, Georgia, Florida, Michigan. UVa more likely), but Mann would help in 400 IM, middle distance, and distance. Has some unexpected speed in the 200 free so could swim an 800 free relay leg.

Voss has some intriguing versatility (back, IM, distance), but there may be higher potential recruits ahead of her in Cal's pecking order.

Chenoa Devine (Davis, same club as Matt Whittle) looks to be moving up in the "local"/value play category. Solid times in the 1500 and 400 IM. Distance and 400 IM are both big areas of need.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]
Thanks tedbear & BearDevil for your as usual informative notes & perceptive analysis! :beer:

Am in complete agreement with your past observations that it'd be more than a bit of a surprise if Katie Drabot doesn't end up as a baby :bear: ... or <gasp> being recruited by Greg over at the farm.

Becca would be a really fab scoop for us and help develop the pipeline to NBAC (after Cierra) - but not realistically expecting Cal to be the frontrunners for this much sought-after super recruit.

Had always really liked Erin as a candidate, though her impressive skills in the [U]200 back[/U] and [U]the mile[/U] are hobbled (no) thanks to the NCAA schedule on Day 3.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842465498 said:

NCSA Juniors are scheduled in Orlando next week (March 17-21) - data points may be limited as the format there is SCY @ prelims, but LCM @ finals, I believe.

Looks like several 2016 & 2017 recruits whom we've discussed in the past will be competing, including Katie Drabot, Stanzi Moseley, Megan Byrnes, Cassidy Bayer, Isabella Rongione, Paige Madden, [COLOR="#FF8C00"]Lauren Case[/COLOR], Chenoa Devine, Skylar Fore.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Lauren Case is another 2016 prospect who's racing pretty well at this meet so far:

[U]100 Fly[/U] - 6th (A final)
[U]200 Free[/U] - 17th (B final, ahead of Jenna C)

She is also a B standard qualifier for NCAAs in the [U]500 free[/U], and faster in that event than any current Cal swimmer who's not named Cierra Runge. However, Lauren's particular skill set may not be a perfect match for the highest priority items on Teri's shopping list, and reckon anyway that Bauerle will easily have first dibs on Georgia's #1 ranked recruit for 2016, especially now that the lady Bulldawgs' war chests are overflowing after their frankly dismal recruiting record from 2015.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="#006400"]Lauren Case - [COLOR="#696969"]20 June[/COLOR]
200 fly, 50 fly, 400 free triple on my birthday... Pray for me[/COLOR]

-----------
[COLOR="#FF0000"]UPDATE:[/COLOR] Lauren has just placed 2nd in the [U]200 fly[/U] (behind Katinka Hosszu) PRELIMS just now...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
-----------
tedbear
Day 2 Notes.
Emily Overholt would have been an interesting recruit. She was second in both the 200 Fly and the 400 Free today, and yesterday she finished second in the 400 IM and ninth in the 200 Free. Too bad she decided to stay home in Canada and swim for UBC. She is deferring though, so maybe Teri can get her to talk with fellow Vancouverite Noemie about her Cal experiences.

Also, along the same lines, UAC favorite, Siobhan Haughey swam well and finished 12th in the 50 Free. I'm sure UAC will have something to say about this, but in retrospect it kind of sucks that we didn't recruit her harder, now that we know Abbey is deferring. Can you imagine a relay squad of Abbey, Farida, Amy, and Siobhan? Hahaha! Siobhan is scheduled to swim the 200 IM and 100 Free tomorrow.

Speaking of great international recruits, thank god Farida is one international that is on our team. She is still ripping it up with a first in the 50 Fly and fifth in the 50 Free.

Good to see Liz swimming well with a second place finish in the 100 Back. That Katina Hosszu is unreal! Missy had a poor start and finished third. I wonder why Boots scratched from the final?

Katie Drabot didn't do as well as i thought she would in the 400 Free. She didn't come close to a personal best and finished 14th. 200 IM and 100 Free for Katie tomorrow.

Erin Voss continues to impress with a sixth place finish in the 100 Back. If she comes, I would forget about the 1650 Free, and just let her do the 500 Free, 100 Back, and 200 Back NCAA schedule. It would have been interesting to see her go head to head against Claire Adams, who I think is still think might be a slightly better backstroker. Heck, I say we take both if we have enough scholly room.
BearDevil
My gut feeling is that Teri really focused on the core four plus Eastin and that would have been a squeeze financially (even with 3 Californians). Don't think that Teri has completely soured on internationals, but it's not a priority either. No financial aid for non-US citizens, LCM/SCY conversion issues, and language/academic/cultural issues. The "Berkeley" brand plays well internationally, but think Teri will be more selective about internationals in the future.

Not terribly worried about backstroke. Teri's track record with backstrokers is unsurpassed. With Baker and Bilquist, Bears only need another backstroker if Teri can't find a breaststroker to replace Baker on medleys. No Cal ties, but Megan Small would be ideal since she's an IM beast/backstroker. Adams has Cal and Georgia ties. Georgia probably gets one of those, but not both since they already have two elite backstrokers. LSJU also needs another backstroker, but Emily Eastin is likely their first pick. Alyssa Marsh might be a possibility for LSJU, but they won't take Eastin and Marsh. Bears likely end up with one of Adams/Small/Voss and one of Marsh/Courtney Mykkanen.

Don't think there's a 2016 breaststroker with Cal ties who's a better option than the back options (who almost all have a third event). Teri probably is targeting Abbey's club teammate Nikol Popov, in 2017 for her next breast recruit.
OBear073akaSMFan
Good stuff, as usual. Thanks to you, Tedbear, and UAC for all of your interesting postings during this slow time of the year!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Yup Teri & Kirsten don't have the luxury that we armchair recruiters enjoy of picking a gazillion promising HS prospects with no regards as to scholly funding limitations, or mutual fit with the swim team personnel & programme, classroom & school culture, etc.

Seems that Teri has a very specific plan & well-defined focus on a select few who are likely to be great matches by the above set of criteria, and doesn't have the time nor the resources to approach all these dozens of other talents that we keep speculating & dreaming about in our idle discussions here lol. For the incoming class of 2015, that would be the "core 4" or "Dream Team 2015", not to forget versatile IM stud Ella Eastin who eventually went with that other school across the bay :cry: Plus of course someone local & "low risk" who has an upside and will mesh well with her future teammates, such as Jenna Campbell.

Interestingly enough, Lilly King, the top breast recruit in her class (PB of 59.67 in the [U]100y br[/U] back then), was never approached by Cal. Instead, Kirsten Vose (PB of 1:01.99 at the time) was the target for Bears, perhaps partly for funding reasons, being in-state and all that. The promise that Teri probably saw in Kirsten wasn't misplaced though, as the SoCal recruit has since dropped her time to 1:00.57. Unfortunately for us, Ms Vose elected to swim for Dave Salo instead, joining local breaststroke studette Riley Scott.

Would assume that one of my faves Siobhan Haughey wasn't sought after or recruited by Teri either for the reasons as outlined by BD above. Otherwise, purely out of selfish school pride I suppose haha, I would find it hard to swallow that the HK starlet would choose to be a baby wolverine over a baby :bear:

btw Ms Haughey has just qualified for the A finals of both the [U]200 IM[/U] & [U]100 Free[/U] tonight, well done there! [COLOR="#FF0000"]Update[/COLOR]: seems Siobhan has dropped out of the [U]100 Free[/U] to concentrate on the [U]200 IM[/U]. This effectively promotes Missy to the A final of the 100 Free, so thanks a million Siobhan - always knew you had the makings of a loyal Bear deep at heart! :p

Oh, and I'd be very happy too if Teri is indeed targeting Nikol, saw her considerable promise a while back...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Do think Teri was some bare minimums swimming wise-wants every swimmer to score at PAC-12s and at least have a B cut in the NCAAs. The limit for NCAAs is 18, so ultimately she'd like to get to 17 swim scorers and 2 scoring divers (count 0.5 for NCAA headcount). She's already won four NCAA titles without that. Think the cap for PAC-12s is 24 swimmers, so don't think she wants to leave anyone home.

Dual meets have up to 3 medley relays, so Teri has to carry 3 breaststrokers every season. It's so specialized that they often don't have a third individual event. Minimal payback for carrying more than two sub-minute breaststrokers for teams with NCAA title aspirations. Teri made Baker her number one priority, so not too surprising about King. Teri might have taken Riley Scott at the right scholly offer, but not ahead of any of the Dream Team + Eastin.

Rachel Acker's probably the biggest bang for buck recruit on the team: local, individual NCAA scorer, NCAA champion relay, 3.9 GPA. If she weren't going to med school, she'd have a decent shot at a Rhodes scholarship. No way she enrolled at Cal anywhere near a full ride.
OBear073akaSMFan
Tatum Wade of Tenn was rated #6 by swimswam primarily swimming the 200-500 free. She joins Moseley the other major early signers. She was someone not mentioned at all guessing because we have too many 200 free swimmers. Coach Salo seems to be successfully bagging them early.

http://swimswam.com/usc-lands-200-and-500-free-tennessee-state-champion-tatum-wade-for-2016/
BearDevil
'SC's moving up. Stanzi, Apostalon, and Wade all would have helped the Bears. 'SC doesn't have enough to be a threat in 2016, but still can do damage. Better Wade to 'SC than Georgia. LSJU and Georgia are the immediate threats so diffusing talent away from them is OK.

Teri definitely wants to win as much as possible, but duals and PAC-12s aren't the ultimate goal. Sadly she's almost entirely judged on NCAA titles now.
OBear073akaSMFan
She was rated #43 by College Swimming. Below are her best times. Doesn't look too bad with still some upside to go.

50y breast 28.37 3/12/2013
100y breast 1:00.51 12/12/2013
200y breast 2:10.87 12/12/2013
200y IM 2:02.48 12/4/2014
100m breast 1:09.35 5/17/2013
200m breast 2:34.84 8/5/2013

http://swimswam.com/kentucky-hs-record-holder-kennedy-lohman-commits-to-arizona-for-2016/
BearDevil
Good get for 'Zona, but based on current times, Bears would have only offered her if she were a legacy or in-state and she'd only get a partial ride (- 0.25). Same high school as Mary T Meagher and incoming LSJU frosh Leah Stevens. Teri's not going to spend significant scholly $s for someone who doesn't project as an immediate NCAA scorer.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Have to concur w/BD on Kennedy - see our previous conversation below from March 2015.

Great swimmer & asset for the Wildcats without a doubt (and for most other Div I teams), but probably wouldn't be too interested in coming here on just a partial scholly...

With all these early verbals for 2016 including one of the top studs in the class Stanzi to U$C, interesting that no (early) commitments to Bears as yet.

Guess Teri will have most of her prime targets gather on campus during a major recruiting trip once the fall semester starts - in the vein of what happened last year with Abbey, Kathleen, Katie, Amy, Ella & Kirsten visiting Berkeley the weekend of 6 Sept 2014 for the home game opener vs. Sac State.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

BearDevil;842464923 said:

Doesn't look like Kennedy Lohman can help the Bears. Baker's already below 1:00 without a relay start. 1:01 mid isn't a scorer at NCAAs, so she couldn't free up Baker to swim the 100 back.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842458805 said:

The only American breaststrokers in the [U]2016 class[/U] who strike me as immediate impact contributors would be [COLOR="#800080"]Lindsey Horejsi[/COLOR], and [COLOR="#800080"]Kennedy Lohman[/COLOR].

Lindsey is the class of the entire field when it comes to sprints in that stroke, as she's already a sub-minute 100 breast swimmer!

Though a minute slower than Lindsey in the 100, Kennedy's not exactly a slouch there, would represent an upgrade over Marina/Celina/Maija's times at that distance. Her competitive range does extend somewhat to the 200 distance unlike Lindsey, but that time is still a second-and-a-half from qualifying for the B final @ 2014 NCAAs. [U]One thing to note is that Kennedy's PBs were achieved a while ago, Dec 2013[/U], so there's always the concern that these young women may have already peaked...

If we miss out on a sprint breaststroker for 2016, domestically & internationally, guess we can always shoot for a studly prospect from the [U]2017 class[/U], such as [COLOR="#ff0099"]Nikol Popov[/COLOR] who hails from Abbey's swim club - she currently has a 1:00.67 in the 100 BR (12/14)...

----------------

[SIZE=4] [COLOR="#FF8C00"][U]100 Breast[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[COLOR="#FFFFFF"]_.[/COLOR]59.37 Kathleen [COLOR="#808080"](3/14)[/COLOR]
[COLOR="#FFFFFF"]_.[/COLOR]59.56 Lindsey [COLOR="#808080"](11/14)[/COLOR]
1:00.51 Kennedy [COLOR="#808080"](12/13)[/COLOR]
1:00.67 Nikol Popov[COLOR="#808080"] (12/14)[/COLOR] {Class of 2017}
1:01.26 Marina [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:01.34 Allie [COLOR="#808080"](12/14)[/COLOR]
1:01.45 Maija [COLOR="#808080"](12/13)[/COLOR]
1:02.63 Katie D [COLOR="#808080"](3/14)[/COLOR]
1:03.80 Celina [COLOR="#808080"](10/13)[/COLOR]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842464941 said:

Hmmm only remaining sprint breaststroker in the [U]2016 class[/U] who could make an immediate impact for Bears would be Lindsey Horejsi then.

Challenge there is I'm not aware of any prior ties or connections between Lindsey and Cal, other than her coming from the same state as Boots. Pretty sure she'll be a prime target for the other big programs as well, some of whom who has had a more successful record of recruiting breaststroke studs than Teri has historically...

Not the ideal setup for everyone concerned, but may have to fall back on Kathleen for an additional season, all the while hoping that Marina will bloom to her full potential in her senior year, or Maija developing far enough to be a contributor at NCAAs. Perhaps scour the international field for an elite breaststroker, or wait patiently for the 2017 crop...

BearDevil
Wouldn't worry about early verbals. Conceivable that LSJU gets some early verbals next week, but as long they aren't Drabot, Adams, Small, or Voss it doesn't really matter. Would expect Cal's first verbal to be a local who can help with recruiting and attend every official and unofficial visit. Both schools battle it out until October. Teri has a huge closure rate on first official visit weekend (Core four, Cierra, Mau, Missy, KV, Li).
tedbear
July 1st is coming fast. Coaches will be allowed to contact student athletes, and soon after offers will be made. I had some time, so I thought I would do some time analysis of some of the top recruits. All of the times are from college swimming.com, so any inaccuracies can be blamed on them. Hahaha! Most of the times were from the past season.

Katie Drabot (KD)
Meghan Small (MS)
Erin Voss (EV)
Stanzi Moseley (MS)
Clarie Adams (CA)
Beata Nelson (BN)
Becca Mann (BM)

50 Free
1. SM 22.11
2. BN 22.56
3. KD 22.75
4. MS 23.17
5. CA 23.24

100 Free
1. SM 48.14
2. KD 48.96
3. BN 49.02
4. CA 50.40
5. EV 51.66

200 Free
1. SM 1:44.55
2. CA 1:45.09
3. KD 1:45.22
4. MS 1:45.48
5. EV 1:47.87

It looks like Stanzi is by far the best sprinter in the class, but I don't feel she has the upside potential of current dream teamers, Abbey and Amy. She might be the number one ranked recruit when Swimswam comes out with their ranking in the next couple of weeks.

100 Back
1. BN 51.67
2. CA 51.99
3. MS 52.19
4. EV 53.37

200 Back
1. MS 1:51.74
2. CA 1:51.87
3. EV 1:51.95
4. BN 1:55.74

The backstroke times are really close together, especially in the 200. I still give Camille the slight edge as the best overall backstroker, but training in college could make all the difference in how each of these girls performs in the next four years. That is Coach Teri's big recruiting advantage. Come to Backstroke U!

Another note, Beata Nelson does really well in all the sprint strokes, but anything over 100 yards and she falls off dramatically. I wonder if she will ever make Team USA in long course.

200 IM
1. MS 1:54.25
2. BN 1:57.88
3. KD 1:57.97
4. BM 2:00.28
5. EV 2:01.45
6. CA 2:01.69

400 IM
1. MS 4:03.96
2. BM 4:05.52
3. KD 4:09.43
4. EV 4:13.60

Meghan Small is the best IMer by a large margin. I know there isn't any present Cal connection, but I wonder if Teri reaches out to her. Katie Drabot shows her versatility by being a solid IMer along with a good sprinter.

I didn't do Fly, Breast, or long distances, but maybe someone else can tackle that.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Hey tedbear - really nice job on doing all the grunt work compiling the stats for some of the top 2016 recruits!

Not to mention your comprehensive analysis of their comparative performance potential across events :beer:

I think that even before we consider the breast events, Allie Szekely should also be in the conversation, i.e.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
100 Back
1. BN 51.67
2. CA 51.99
3. MS 52.19
4. EV 53.37
[U]4. AS 53.37[/U]

200 Back
1. MS 1:51.74
2. CA 1:51.87
3. EV 1:51.95
[U] 4. AS 1:53.36[/U]
5. BN 1:55.74 (she also did a 1:55.68 back in Nov 2014 I believe?)

200 IM
1. MS 1:54.25
[U]2. AS 1:57.68[/U]
3. BN 1:57.88
4. KD 1:57.97
5. BM 2:00.28
6. EV 2:01.45
7. CA 2:01.69

tedbear;842510149 said:

It looks like Stanzi is by far the best sprinter in the class, but I don't feel she has the upside potential of current dream teamers, Abbey and Amy. She might be the number one ranked recruit when Swimswam comes out with their ranking in the next couple of weeks.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Have to think Stanzi would be rated in the Top 3 at the very least, especially since the NCAA Championship format favours freestyle sprinters scoring wise. Veronica Burchill (Georgia commit)'s no slouch either in the sprints ([U]50 Free[/U] - 22.29, ([U]100 Free[/U] - 48.48) & fly. CA has also gone as fast as 48.10 anchoring Carmel HS' 400 Free Relay in prelims (so add 0.5 seconds or more to that flying start time), not too bad. Will be interesting to see where KD, CA & co. ends up in the Swimswam rankings - which without a doubt will look quite different from collegeswimming's version!

With regards to your comment above, take a look at these finals results from the 2015 SMOC meet this evening:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[U]100 Free[/U] (top 3)
54.42 - Abbey Weitzeil
55.05 - Katie McLaughlin
55.30 - Stanzi Moseley
Abbey came very close to her lifetime best of 54.38 from 2014 Nationals, which is massively encouraging since she wouldn't be fully rested or tapered here, compared to last year's trials. The ever versatile Katie did achieve a new PB in solidly beating Stanzi to the finish, not too shabby in an event that's not her primary focus. Yes this was all in long course, which does tend to play to KM's strengths, but still...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Great work and comments, tedbear and UAC. Don't think Stanzi will flip, but do think think the above 6 + AS will be the focus of high $ scholly offers. Need to replace Pelton, Boots, Acker, and Naze. Abbey's already on board, so 7 recruits chasing 3 open slots. Another local will take Grima's spot and probably room for a legacy (Marsh or Mykkanen).

Personal preference would be Drabot, Adams, Mann, Marsh, and Chenoa Devine. Don't think Mann comes. Small would also be awesome. UAC has worn me down on Nelson-great swimmer and Badgers are hosed if they lose both Nelson and Drabot.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Most honoured that the illustrious BD's starting to buy somewhat into one of my recruiting recommendations (BN) :acclaim:. Surprisingly a bit of a reversal of roles actually here, as I'm usually the one to heed his perceptive assessments & knowledge in this area lol

I am personally liking [U]Erika Brown[/U] quite a lot as well (SwimMac teammate & friends with Kathleen & Alyssa), would add depth to the likes of KD & CA if they join the :bear: family. No longer a local so might cost Teri more $ (or conversely would be offered a partial instead of a full ride), but could fit in a similar role to Cat Ladd & Jenna Campbell, and has quite considerable upside IMO.
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Different events, but Erika's times are in the same ballpark as Kennedy Lohman as far as NCAA/PAC-12 scoring. She'll be able to get more scholly $s from programs like Texas, 'Zona, 'SC, and UCLA than she would at Cal. Most legacies and locals turn down more money to swim at Cal.

Have to look at Nelson's overall portfolio, but Bears don't need another flyer (Farida, KM, Noemie, Mau). She's a must get for UW, so they'll have no choice but to offer a full ride. Bears, not so much because they'll have 3 NCAA fly scorers for at least two more seasons + Farida.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
---------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4]Open Contact Season Begins for High School Seniors on July 1[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/open-contact-season-begins-for-high-school-seniors-on-july-1/

Beginning Wednesday, July 1st, NCAA Division I college coaches are thrown into a scramble. As they try to juggle their summer campers, today is the first day where coaches are allowed to contact prospective swimmers entering their senior year in high school over the phone, electronically, or face-to-face without (much) limit.

Read more about July 1 from Rick Paine, here: http://swimswam.com/college-recruiting-dont-get-phone-calls-july-1/

This year's open contact period has a very different feel than in the past for the sport of swimming, due to a huge number of early commits who have already made their college decisions before taking official visits.

There's always a handful of swimmers who make their choices before the formality of the recruiting process, and that's especially true in pre-Olympic years where swimmers want to be focused on the Olympic Trials rather than on recruiting trips.

But this year, even in that context, is at best an outlier, if not a paradigm-shifter.

For a true superstar swimmer like class of '15 senior Katie Ledecky to commit to a top-5 program like Stanford early is one message. She would have had plenty of interaction with the Stanford swimmers and coaches at national level meets previously.

But when non-traditional national powers like Akron start getting commits in June, or when a very good, but not Ledecky-level, commit like Kennedy Lohman makes a decision to move across the country from Kentucky to Arizona before she's even allowed to take an official visit there, the pressure suddenly ramps up. When a

Don't expect the trend to end, at least this year, either. There are many coaches who are notorious for pressuring athletes into early commitments with "48 hour" scholarship offers, and now with the support of two dozen or so pre-July 1 commits, they'll have even more ammunition with which to pencil their programs on the transcripts of the top senior swimmers in the country.

Along with a trend of earlier-and-earlier verbal commitments, there's the potential for more-and-more re-commitments. This is a phenomenon that has only recently begun to bite swimming harder, but is rather commonplace in major sports like football and basketball (where, admittedly, there's much more on the line). Until National Letters of Intent are signed (which opens on November 11th this year for swimmers), the commitments are non-binding.

With the expectations of earlier-and-earlier commitments, athletes, coaches, and fans will have to get used to the expectation of more swimmers changing their minds. This doesn't mean we should start to expect to see them in droves, but our prediction is that there will be more in the coming three months than we're used to seeing.

Grab your popcorn and get ready to ride the wave. SwimSwam's official recruiting coverage coordinator Anne Lepesant is ready, and it's time for the dog-and-pony show to begin.

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Going out so won't have time to digest Swimswam's usually spot on rankings/ratings until I get back - well, happy reading & deliberating/debating the merits or not of their Top 20 list! :p
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
---------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]Top 20 swimming recruits in the girls high school class of 2016[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/top-20-swimming-recruits-in-the-girls-high-school-class-of-2016/

Top 10 Swimmers from the Class of 2016

(All best times are in short course yards.)

1. Meghan Small – York YMCA – Lineboro, MD
Best times: 200 IM – 1:54.25, 400 IM – 4:03.96, 100 back – 52.19, 200 back – 1:51.74, 200 free – 1:45.48

Meghan Small was the star of YMCA Nationals this past season, and it would be no large surprise to see her become the star of college nationals in the near future. Small should come in the door with shots at NCAA titles in both IM races, and she’s also an accomplished backstroker. On top of that, her 200 free is fast enough to make her a relay threat on at least the 800 free relay. Versatility, a couple standout events, great endurance and relay capabilities – what more can you look for in a top-tier recruit?

2. Elizabeth (Beata) Nelson – Madison Aquatic Club – Madison, WI
Best times: 100 fly – 51.08, 100 back – 51.67, 200 back – 1:55.68, 200 IM – 1:57.88, 100 free – 49.02, 50 free – 22.51

Wisconsin’s Beata Nelson is a machine underwater, which makes her a dangerous NCAA swimmer from the get-go. Nelson is the national public high school record-holder in the 100 fly and could easily turn out to be one of the top few butterflyers in the nation as a freshman. Her backstroke is nothing to scoff at, either, and she’s got enough speed in the sprint freestyles to be a free relay factor as well as a potential game-changer on the medleys.

3. Becca Mann – North Baltimore Aquatic Club – Homer Glen, IL
Best times: 1650 free – 15:45.33, 500 free – 4:34.77, 400 IM – 4:05.52, 200 free – 1:47.73, 200 IM – 1:58.46

Mann’s status here gets hurt slightly by her distance swimmer status, but she’s the rare distance swimmer who can still procure a top-3 ranking despite not being much of a relay threat. Mann’s lifetime-best would have been second at last year’s NCAAs in the 1650, and she’ll instantly be one of the top distance swimmers in the college ranks. A killer 400 IM only adds value, and the hope will be that her 200 free can improve enough to make a relay splash in the 800.

4. Constanze (Stanzi) Moseley – Roadrunner Aquatics – Bakersfield, CA **Verbally committed to USC**
Best times: 200 free – 1:44.55, 100 free – 48.14, 50 free – 22.11

The California-based Junior National champ is a dream relay piece. Fast from the 50 to the 200, Moseley could turn out to be a plug-and-play relay swimmer in any of the 5 relay events – or all of them – from her freshman season onwards. Her 200 free is most impressive, leading a class that includes some top-tier 200 freestylers.

5. Claire Adams – Carmel Swim Club – Carmel, IN
Best times: 100 back – 51.99, 200 back – 1:51.87, 50 free – 22.97, 100 free – 49.19, 200 free – 1:45.09

Part of a dominant group at the Carmel Swim Club, Adams is a multi-event star. She’s got outstanding backstroke times that will put her in the thick of a brutal NCAA stroke discipline, and she’s also got legitimate potential as a developmental relay swimmer – maybe more than that in the 200 free, where she’s among the best in her recruiting class.

6. Katie Drabot – Ozaukee Aquatics – Mequon, WI
Best times: 200 free – 1:45.22, 100 free – 48.96, 500 free – 4:43.09, 50 free – 22.75, 200 IM – 1:57.97, 400 IM – 4:09.43

It seems a bit odd putting U.S. Short Course World Champs team member Katie Drabot all the way at #6, but this is a very tough class, particularly in the freestyle events where Drabot excels. Still, she’s a rangy talent who will give coaches lineup versatility and relay options. An underrated part of Drabot’s skill-set is her IM prowess – she could be an NCAA point-scorer in either IM her freshman season, depending on what events she winds up swimming in college.

7. Veronica Burchill – Carmel Swim Club – Carmel, IN **Verbally committed to Georgia**
Best times: 50 free – 22.29, 100 free – 48.48, 100 fly – 52.26

Another stud from the Carmel Swim Club. Burchill is more of a pure sprinter than her teammate Adams, but that could work in her favor as a relay swimmer. Burchill is knocking on the door of a 21-second 50 free, and is also just outside of NCAA scoring range in the 100 fly.

8. Allie Szekely – Central Bucks Swim Team – Doylestown, PA
Best times: 400 IM – 4:06.33, 200 IM – 1:57.68, 200 back – 1:53.36, 100 back – 53.37, 200 breast – 2:10.22, 100 breast – 1:01.34

Pennsylvania’s Allie Szekely has had a very unique development. A high-profile young breaststroker, Szekely has really broken out in backstroke lately, to the point where it’s those events that might attract the brunt of college recruiters. Still, it’s her 400 IM that would have scored at last year’s NCAAs. Szekely is a Swiss Army knife of a swimmer that should give one college coach a wealth of lineup options.

9. Grace Oglesby – Cardinal Aquatics – Louisville, KY **Verbally committed to Louisville**
Best times: 100 fly – 51.75, 200 fly – 1:56.32

Oglesby doesn’t have the event versatility of some of the names above her, but what she does, she does well. Very well. Swimming out of Louisville, Kentucky, Oglesby is one of the nation’s best high school butterflyers over both distances, and could be a huge medley relay option down the road. She’s already committed to her hometown team, the Louisville Cardinals, and will follow in the footsteps of American record-holder Kelsi Worrell.

10. Lindsey Horejsi – Mantas Swim Team – Faribault, MN
Best times: 100 breast – 59.56, 200 breast – 2:11.05, 200 IM – 1:59.77

The only breaststroker to make our list, Minnesota’s Lindsey Horejsi is already under a minute in the 100 – an NCAA scoring time in 2015 – and is close to NCAA points in the 200. She’s got some potential in the 200 IM that could be developed as well. Breaststroke can often be a hole that sinks an otherwise-sound medley relay, and Horejsi is a head above the rest of her class, which should intrigue any team with a breaststroke hole heading into 2016-2017.

Honorable Mention (#11-20)

11. Erin Voss – Greater Holyoke YMCA – Northampton, MA
Best times: 200 back – 1:51.95, 100 back – 53.37

12. Savanna Faulconer – Y-Spartaquatics – Simpsonville, SC **Verbally committed to Florida**
Best times: 400 IM – 4:08.59, 200 breast – 2:10.79, 100 breast – 1:02.00

13. Keaton Blovad – Tualatin Hills Swim Club – Lake Oswego, OR
Best times: 100 back – 53.51, 50 back – 24.93, 200 IM – 1:58.71, 100 free – 49.01, 50 free – 22.75, 200 free – 1:46.65, 100 breast – 1:01.02, 200 back – 1:57.38

14. Megan Byrnes – Nation’s Capital Swim Club – Fairfax, VA
Best times: 1650 free – 16:01.83, 500 free – 4:43.43, 200 free – 1:48.61

15. Kirsten Jacobsen – Barrington Swim Club – Barrington, IL
Best times: 1650 free – 16:06.66, 500 free – 4:42.31, 200 free – 1:46.98, 100 free – 49.66

16. Ali Galyer – Y-Spartaquatics – Greer, SC **Verbally committed to Kentucky**
Best times: 200 back – 1:53.76, 100 back – 53.66, 200 free – 1:48.01

17. Tatum Wade – Nashville Aquatic Club – Nashville, TN **Verbally committed to USC**
Best times: 200 free – 1:45.59, 200 breast – 2:12.73, 200 fly – 1:58.34, 200 IM – 1:57.53

18. Lauren Case – Chattahoochee Gold – Woodstock, GA
Best times: 100 fly – 52.81, 200 fly – 1:56.31, 200 free – 1:45.96

19. Asia Seidt – Lakeside Swim Team – Peewee Valley, KY
Best times: 100 back – 53.06, 200 back – 1:55.14, 200 IM – 1:58.53, 200 fly – 1:57.11

20. Kennedy Lohman – Lakeside Swim Team – Prospect, KY **Verbally committed to Arizona**
Best times: 100 breast – 1:00.51, 200 breast – 2:10.87

---------
BearDevil
The top ten have all been widely discussed on the board already, as have half of the second ten. Blovad and Jacobsen could help the Bears.

Still think Stanzi should be ranked number one. Georgia's very well positioned, but there's too much duplication for them to run the table on Small, Adams, and AS. Abbey's still better (and specifically more valuable to Cal based on need) than anyone in the class.
tedbear
BearDevil;842511408 said:

The top ten have all been widely discussed on the board already, as have half of the second ten. Blovad and Jacobsen could help the Bears.

Still think Stanzi should be ranked number one. Georgia's very well positioned, but there's too much duplication for them to run the table on Small, Adams, and AS. Abbey's still better (and specifically more valuable to Cal based on need) than anyone in the class.

Megan Small = Ella Eastin

Any of the Dream Team 2015 recruits would be number one in this class. I wouldn't trade anyone on the Dream Team for anyone on this list. If swimswam is really emphasizing relay value, then both Mosely and Drabot should be much higher. I agree with BD that Moseley should be number one. Still want Adams, Drabot, Voss/or Byrnes, and Marsh.
BearDevil
Like their rankings, but SwimSwam always greatly overvalues breaststrokers (based on scarcity) and slightly overvalues IMers. Teri rightfully recruits around relays. If a recruit is fast enough to contribute on a Cal relay, they're an NCAA scorer in at least a couple of individual events.

Pretty clear now why Baker was Teri's number one target. Extremely fast breaststroker who can swim multiple Cal relays and a potential scorer in multiple individual events. Speaking of breaststrokers, saw an ESPN thing on Kansas basketball and the KU basketball practice facility is the Horejsi Center. Almost certainly named for LH's grandfather.

Voss has more value to Cal as a distance swimmer than a backstroker. Byrnes and Jacobsen are interchangeable. Pick Byrnes just because NCAP is a premier club team.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842510871 said:

2.5-Abbey, Drabot, and Marsh?

I'm stuck at 3+: Abbey, Drabot, Adams, and Marsh. Would like Mann, but she's not coming. Byrnes or Voss for distance and Devine as a local. Marsh gets around 0.35 and Devine gets around 0.25.

tedbear;842511013 said:

Oh, I still consider Abbey as part of Dream Team 2015, even though she won't be here until next year. My two and a half are Drabot (Amy and Kathleen), Adams (Amy), and Marsh (Kathleen and Maija), so same as you BD. And yes, both Byrnes and Voss are my almost there candidates.

BearDevil;842513231 said:

Still a long shot, but think Beata Nelson might still be in the mix. No room for her in the same class with KM, but maybe if Bears don't get Drabot or Adams. Seemed really strange that Wisconsin just added an asst last week. Thought they'd be fully staffed in a year when Wisconsin has two top five recruits. UVa men went goose egg last year on similar in state talent levels and is also a program with some issues. Durden was perfectly happy to pick up Seliskar and Teri would be fine with Drabot and/or Beata.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Oh shoot I'm really a complete klutz when it comes to predictions and such. Really wish I could read Teri's mind lol - or at least have a better picture of all the conflicting factors she has to juggle and prioritise when it comes to her recruiting targets!

tedbear & BD, your shortlists make perfect sense and I just can't argue over any of your on point selections that are based upon a sensible balance of what the team needs the most, over who/what's available, within the confines of the predicted schollies in play.

Yeah I know, Becca & Meghan aren't likely heading out to Berkeley anytime soon, but I haven't given up all hope yet on either as have always liked Ms. Mann (with Erin being my next preference for distance)...reckon Ms. Small will be quite a terror in the little pool whom I'd prefer to keep away from our main rivals' grubby clutches haha.

The core two remains KD & Claire naturally, both of whom I have been talking up on this forum for quite some time now hehe. Beata also would be a really strong asset if we don't get both or either of the "Big Two", certainly she can do some damage to our championship scoring chances if she falls in the "wrong hands"!

Still stubbornly holding on to a bit of a soft spot for Allie (potential bridge to NCAP wouldn't exactly hurt either), and for Erika in the next tier down even if she's no longer local and thus less likely to be in play here. Would of course always welcome the wonderful Alyssa as our legacy recruit.

Oh dear, as you can see, can't really make up my mind and already wanting much more than practicality demands, esp now that Abbey will be taking one of the full scholly slots in 2016! Perhaps we have been a wee too spoilt by the embarrassing riches of Dream Team 2015? :p

Heck any of the remaining [U]Top 20[/U] on SwimSwam's 2016 list can/will be of help to Bears next season, if truth be told...perhaps I should just leave all the recruiting in Teri's capable hands, and (im)patiently wait for some forthcoming pleasant surprises...

[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
Slight correction-Allie Szekeley doesn't swim for NCAP. She's reportedly a very good student and her brother swims at West Pont. Megan Byrnes does swim for NCAP and was also a high school teammate of LSJU's Janrt Hu.

It's all for fun and everyone makes educated guesses. Teri knows what her team needs, who fits, and who has upside.

Is kinda interesting to look back at 2015 targets, how it actually turned out, and project to 2016. Far less mystery now about Eastin, Riley Scott, and Sioban, Teri got all her priority recruits. Apostalon might have been a better transfer, but it wasn't ever a mutual fit and Hull had already been a prior target. Hard to emphasize enough how solid Teri's recruiting is because there are very few recruits each year that can contribute immediately, fit the culture, and thrive academically.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842513293 said:

Slight correction-Allie Szekeley doesn't swim for NCAP. She's reportedly a very good student and her brother swims at West Pont. Megan Byrnes does swim for NCAP and was also a high school teammate of LSJU's Janet Hu.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Haha thank you very much BD for being so magnanimous towards moi as I'm sure Allie wouldn't deem my faux pas here as needing a "slight" correction lol...don't exactly know how on Earth I could possibly have confused her Central Bucks team with NCAP, duh?!! Haven't forgotten Megan who'd be a great get as well, it's just that I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling that our distance NCAP star may end up on the farm, that's all...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

It's all for fun and everyone makes educated guesses. Teri knows what her team needs, who fits, and who has upside.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Yup it's all for fun...and unlike you chaps whose educated guesses tend to be based at least on a semblance of logic and some researched facts, I tend to go with gut feelings & personal likes with a blatant disregard for reality, so it's a very good thing that I don't scout for Teri as my day (or night) job :rollinglaugh:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Is kinda interesting to look back at 2015 targets, how it actually turned out, and project to 2016. Far less mystery now about Eastin, Riley Scott, and Sioban, Teri got all her priority recruits. Apostalon might have been a better transfer, but it wasn't ever a mutual fit and Hull had already been a prior target. Hard to emphasize enough how solid Teri's recruiting is because there are very few recruits each year that can contribute immediately, fit the culture, and thrive academically.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]In Teri We Trust :gobears:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
BearDevil
LSJU needs stroke depth. They fixed their IM depth problem with the last class and partially fixed their distance problem. They'll eliminate that problem with Ledecky. Don't need Byrnes as much as they need additional stroke depth.
tedbear
Quote:

Still a long shot, but think Beata Nelson might still be in the mix. No room for her in the same class with KM, but maybe if Bears don't get Drabot or Adams.

Between Mann, Nelson, and Small, I think Becca Mann would be the most helpful for the team. We really need help in the distances, with just Cierra, and the 400 IM, with just Celina. Becca already has experience with Teri from the National Teams, and the fact that she is already an accomplished author, bodes well for her academic interests too. Someone tell her that we have the number one ranked undergraduate English Department in the country. As for Nelson, we already have plenty of flyers (Farida, Celina, Noemie, Jasmine, Katie) and if Claire comes, we will have enough backstrokers (Jasmine, Kathleen, Amy). So like BD says, if Claire goes elsewhere, then Beata becomes more of a priority. Small is the biggest longshot in my book, but also my biggest fear if she ends up on the Farm.

Quote:

Haven't forgotten Megan who'd be a great get as well, it's just that I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling that our distance NCAP star may end up on the farm, that's all...

Is this based on her friendship with Janet Hu? I like Megan, but it wouldn't be devastating if she did end up on the Farm. It would be much worse if Becca Mann ended up there.

Quote:

Still stubbornly holding on to a bit of a soft spot for Allie

Allie, to me, is one of those swimmers who does many things really well, but not one thing exceptionally well. If she came to Berkeley, I would almost want her to focus on breast stroke and help our need there. Of course Nikol is the long term answer :p.

Quote:

The core two remains KD & Claire naturally, both of whom I have been talking up on this forum for quite some time now hehe.

Yup, I would be really disappointed if either of these two get away, especially with all the established relationships with the team already.

Quote:

Really wish I could read Teri's mind lol - or at least have a better picture of all the conflicting factors she has to juggle and prioritise when it comes to her recruiting targets!

Hahaha! Yeah, would love to hear her and Kristen's conversations about recruiting!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear;842513349 said:

Is this based on her friendship with Janet Hu? I like Megan, but it wouldn't be devastating if she did end up on the Farm.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Yeah, partly. Was also thinking here that Greg Meehan may recruit Becca & Megan - the addition of either (or both) would surely help establish a formidable distance dynasty led by Ledecky & Stevens.

But hey I'm probably reading this all wrong, and Greg will be focussing more on stroke depth as BD had pointed out.

We may have an tenuous/dated in (of sorts) with Ms. Byrnes courtesy of Mr. Whittle, as noted in this post of mine from last year:
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842426305 said:

Megan Byrnes - [COLOR="#696969"]16 Oct 2013[/COLOR]
Congrats to @mattwhittle_ for committing to cal today!!!����

tedbear;842513349 said:

I like Megan, but it wouldn't be devastating if she did end up on the Farm. It would be much worse if Becca Mann ended up there.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]As for confirmation of your worst nightmares concerning Becca -> the country club, how about this tweet from 1 Feb 2015? :p

Or...
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Becca Mann - [COLOR="#696969"]1 July 2015 (10:35 pm)[/COLOR]
A little disappointed that @UofHawaiiSwim didn't contact me today [SIZE=4]��[/SIZE]
[U]Hawaii Swim & Dive[/U]: @BeccaMannSwims it's still July 1st on Hawaii! #timezoneprobs
Finally to put a smile back on your face
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

tedbear;842513349 said:

she is already an accomplished author

[video=youtube;IcKmPzgL5M0][/video]

----------

tedbear;842513349 said:

Allie, to me, is one of those swimmers who does many things really well, but not one thing exceptionally well. If she came to Berkeley, I would almost want her to focus on breast stroke and help our need there. Of course Nikol is the long term answer :p.

[COLOR="#3333ff"][SIZE=3][FONT=Times New Roman]Hmmm, Allie being unofficially wooed by Leah & the Cavaliers here?
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Allie Szekely - [COLOR="#696969"]26 Apr 2015[/COLOR] @ [COLOR="#808080"]University of Virginia[/COLOR]
S/o to @leahsmith19 and @kager_rager for the being the best tour guides ever✌️ #reunited #gohoos
BearDevil
Agree with tedbear on both Mann and AS. Mann would be a twofer for the Bears: a distance complement to Cierra (a former NBAC teammate and help in the 400 IM. Also may be able to help on the 800 free relay. Just think she has too many ties to other schools: ASU, Georgia, Michigan, Florida, UVa.

AS reminds me a lot of Ella Eastin-lots of really good times, but eouldn't swim any relays for the Bears. Somebody that would be huge at UVa, Texas, 'SC, 'Zona. May be over the top, but SwimSwam compared Baker to Tracy Caulkins. Don't see Baker sweeping 9 NCAA titles in three seasons because that's not what the Bears need from her. Baker can do a lot more in individual events than Esstin or AS.

Speaking of SwimSwam, they pointed out that the core four alone could be in the top 3-4 of three relays (400 free, 800 free, 400 medley). At least on paper, they really are that good.

Recruiting for top three relays across the board is the way to go. Complement those relays with multiple scorers in individual events, and that's a solid blueprint for an NCAA championship team. Easier said than done.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842513312 said:

Haven't forgotten Megan who'd be a great get as well, it's just that I have a completely unsubstantiated feeling that our distance NCAP star may end up on the farm, that's all...

----------

[COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=5]#14 Recruit in Class of 2016 Megan Byrnes Chooses Stanford[/SIZE][/COLOR]

http://swimswam.com/14-recruit-in-class-of-2016-megan-byrnes-chooses-stanford/

----------
BearDevil
Good get for LSJU, but not devastating. Makes it less likely that Mann ends up on the farm. With Stevens last year along with Ledecky and Brynes, they're now saturated in distance. Bigger holes elsewhere than adding more distance with Mann. In a weird way, LSJU and Georgia tmay cannibalize each others' distance points and Bears can hurt both in fly and back.

No doubt Brynes would have helped, but Voss might be more productive when you factor in 100 back. Kirsten Jacobsen is nearly a Brynes clone in the 500 and 1650. None of the three would contribute on any Bear relays. Brynes would help build an NCAP pipeline. Bears do need to hold serve with a distance recruit. Mann would be a home run, but Voss or Jacobsen would work just fine, especially if a local with distance upside (Simonds or Devine) is part of the final class.
tedbear
Quote:

Wow UAC, you are clairvoyant! Not a big surprise, but now it makes me want Mann even more. With such a quick decision, I wonder if Teri even gave Ms. Byrnes a phone call.
BearDevil
LSJU doesn't have enough to wn in 2016, but the right 2016 recruiting class (Ledecky, an elite sprinter, back and fly scorers, and Byrnes) could make them the 2017 favorites. Adding Drabot, Mann, Nelson, and Small would be brutal. Drabot and Nelson would have bigger impacts than Small and Mann.

Georgia's a wildcard, but a Cal class of Abbey, Adams, Drabot, and Mann could make a Bear three peat possible. Not to be overly dramatic, but Small. Nelson, Mann, Adams, and Drabot could determine the 2017 title. Drabot would help both Cal and LSJU, but she may not be fast enough in the 50/100 to help the Bears in sprint relays. Rooting for a Cal class of Adams, Drabot, and Mann. If not, hope none of them or Small or Nelson go to LSJU or Georgia.
BearDevil
http://swimswam.com/2015-spanish-summer-nationals-end-with-multiple-new-meet-records/

Realize that Marina's LCM results haven't translated to SCYs, but....

A 1:07.70 100 m breast translates to 59.18, which would have been 8th at the 2015 NCAAs. That's faster than Baker's personal best (59.37). Would free up Baker to swim 100 back or 200 free at NCAAs and maybe swim the 200 free relay instead of one of the medley relays. Would also mean a 2016 backstroker wouldn't be an absolute must. Lots of ifs and still all in for Adams, but still. Sigh...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.