Women's Swim Recruiting: Class of 2017

133,005 Views | 337 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842740252 said:

Regardless, Olivia Anderson would also be very welcome in my eyes due to our lack in distance, and build a bridge to the Canuck pipeline.

[COLOR="#006699"]
Guess those sneaky [U]Lady Dawgs[/U] got to Olivia first...
[/COLOR]
-------

Olivia Anderson: I couldn't be more excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim at the University of Georgia! Can't wait to be a part of such an amazing place! Go Dawgs! ����❤ #commitedtotheG #OGAsgoingtoUGA

https://instagr.am/p/BLKHsfngt6x

-------
OBear073akaSMFan
[ATTACH=CONFIG]5917[/ATTACH]

(Sorry there goes my thumbnail picture again)

Looks like another California going out of state, Kate Krolikowski (Nat #40, Cal #8)

Best times in yards:
Best times in yards:
50 free – 23.82
100 free – 49.77
200 free – 1:45.96
500 free – 4:47.54
100 fly – 54.57
200 fly – 2:00.31
200 IM – 2:01.49
400 IM – 4:16.81
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
Yay yay, a very Bear-y welcome & congrats to our 2nd 2017 Baby :bear: commit!! :cheer
[/COLOR]

-------

Alicia Harrison: I am beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to be a baby bear at the University of California at Berkeley!! I'm so grateful to be able to join such a great group of ladies and coaches to further my swim career as well as my academic path. GO BEARS!!!������

https://instagr.am/p/BLKeMTqg_De

-------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842740423 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]
Yay yay, a very Bear-y welcome & congrats to our 2nd 2017 Baby :bear: commit!! :cheer
[/COLOR]

-------

Alicia Harrison: I am beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to be a baby bear at the University of California at Berkeley!! I'm so grateful to be able to join such a great group of ladies and coaches to further my swim career as well as my academic path. GO BEARS!!!������

https://instagr.am/p/BLKeMTqg_De

-------

+100. Another recruit in the fold. The more competition in the Breaststroke the better!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Was thinking when I first saw some of Ali's photos that she could sort of be mistaken for being a long-lost relative of Katie McL...or does my eye-sight require a serious checkup lol For example:

Anyway just writing the above nonsense as it'll give me an excuse to post another pic of Alicia haha

Ali: Officially a baby bear ������ #Cal2021

btw, wondering whether Dannie's commit may not be 100% official quite yet, as we've only seen her friends congratulating Dilsaver on the verbal, rather than seeing a direct confirmation from her??

-------

Cal Women Land Verbal From Jr Nats Breaststroke Finalist Ali Harrison

https://swimswam.com/cal-women-land-verbal-jr-nats-breaststroke-finalist-ali-harrison/

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
Alright, as the weekend approaches, anyone feeling a mite fidgety at who we'll see when photos of the [U]LSJU recruits[/U] begin to get posted?

Hadn't BD mentioned (way back in the distant past!) something about how in some ways it's a bit of a formality by the time Meehan hosts his big recruiting weekend, since all the serious visitors to the Farm had already gone thru the admissions process beforehand, and had been accepted by the school even before making their trip??

In other words, any recruits who show up @ Stanford Stadium this weekend would have to have a better offer, or have a compelling reason (well I can think of a few lol) to not commit to the Furd shortly after the recruiting trip??

-------

1) For example, 100% of the [U]2016[/U] visitors seen in these photos from recruiting weekend went on to sign up for furdette membership - Erin Voss, Katie Drabot, Hannah Boyd, Megan Byrnes, Allie Szekely, Brooke Stenstrom:

-------

2) As for their [U]2015[/U] prospects, LSJU's attrition rate was just 1 out of the 6 visitors who were comprised of Ledecky, Schmidt, Albertoli, Stevens, Eastin & Williams (Kasey Schmidt opting for [U]UVa[/U] instead):

-------

Some of the [U]2017[/U] recruits who I'm afraid/worried/think may show up in Palo Alto this weekend (along with possibly 1 or 2 of their legacies):

[INDENT]Grace Zhao
Brooke Forde
Ashley Volpenhein
Hannah Kukurugya
Sophie Krivokapic-Zhou?
[/INDENT]

A few others whom I'm not expecting to make an appearance @ Stanford this weekend, but could be proven completely wrong there haha:

[INDENT]Anna Belousova
Lauren Pitzer
Paige Madden
Caitlin Tycz
[/INDENT]

[/COLOR]
-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
IM'er Regan Barney (#3 TX, #25 Nat - SwimSwam's #20) decommitting from [U]UGA[/U], -> [U]Princeton[/U] instead??

Or just a mistake on CollegeSwimming's part? :confused:

https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/172447/

UPDATE - Confirmation:
[/COLOR]

Regan Barney: Very excited to announce my decision to commit to the application process at Princeton! Go Tigers!! ����

-------

[COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=5]#20 Recruit Regan Barney Decommits From Georgia, Verbals To Princeton[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://swimswam.com/20-recruit-regan-barney-decommits-georgia-verbals-princeton/

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
[U]A&M[/U] getting an early start on their 2018 in-state recruits - Lucie Nordmann (#1 TX, #7 Nat) with Dakota Luther (#2 TX, #12 Nat) @ Kyle Stadium today:

Here's 2017 recruit Emma Seiberlich (#3 PA, #43 Nat) posing with Dakota @ College Station:

[U]Texas A&M[/U] had previously hosted Paige Madden (#1 AL, #24 Nat), and Cal recruit Sophie Krivokapic-Zhou (#6 CA, #37 Nat).

Already scored commitments from Taylor Pike (#1 AR, #15 Nat), Joy Field (#5 TX, #43 Nat), and Haley Yelle (#7 TX, #45 Nat).

-------

Well, a number of photos have been posted by the furdette freshies, as well as several ones of Ledecky, DiRado, Manuel & Neal on the field, being recognised for their Rio exploits at half time - no recruit sightings have surfaced so far though...

btw I think there's a chance that Lauren Pitzer may show up as a visitor to the Farm if Ashley isn't there, tho I think Volpenhein's appearance will be more likely than Pitzer's...

At around this period back in Oct 2014, Bears had 3 commits (Katie, Kathleen & Amy) which was the same number that LSJU had (Ledecky, Eastin, Williams...tho Stevens did verbal a few days after her Stanford trip).

Last year, we had 4 at this time (Keaton, Aislinn, Chenoa & Alexa...with Maddie joining as a :bear: cub a day or two after the Furd weekend). Don't think there was a Cardinal verbal in 2015 until after their official weekend visit...
[/COLOR]
OBear073akaSMFan
tedbear;842736781 said:

Looks like Grace and Ashley are the only big names this year. Wonder who might show up for a second recruiting weekend. Nobody should worry too much about this year. 2018 is the super talented year to have a lot of scholarship money available. Taylor Ruck, Zoe Bartel, Lucy Nordmann, and Eva Merrell just to mention a few. Still don't know if Isabel Ivey is a 2018 or 2019 recruit. #dreamteam2018

Invited to Cal's Jr day is Emma Muzzy (Va), whose sister swims at Indiana St. Emma was invited and swam the 200IM & 400IM at Olympic Trials. Of course, this is only an invitation to come but who knows if she will.

Here she has pictures taken with Missy and Dana during the trials.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842743679 said:

Invited to Cal's Jr day is Emma Muzzy (Va), whose sister swims at Indiana St. Emma was invited and swam the 200IM & 400IM at Olympic Trials. Of course, this is only an invitation to come but who knows if she will.

[COLOR="#006699"]Cheers for the heads up on Emma Muzzy (#8 VA, #121 Nat).

Emma's a [U]2018[/U] recruit from Roanoke, VA - swims w/the Virginia Gators.

Only 4 of her times (3 of them LCM) have been submitted to the CS database, so take their current ranking of her with a pinch of salt!

Emma's 4:13.28 in the [U]400 IM[/U] would have scored points @ 2016 Pac-12s.

Her height (guessing around 6 ft to 6' 1", judging from your posted photos of Emma w/Missy & Dana) would indicate there's a promising upside & potential improvement curve to this Cal prospect.[/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842740252 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]
Will admit that by all accounts, Grace is more likely a furdette lean than a Golden Bear one, IMO.

PASA swimmer, mum works @ LSJU etc.[/COLOR]

-------

Grace Zhao: Incredibly humbled and beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to Stanford University! A huge thank you to my friends, family, and coaches for all the support. GO CARD ��*♀️��❤️

-------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842743895 said:

-------

Grace Zhao: Incredibly humbled and beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to Stanford University! A huge thank you to my friends, family, and coaches for all the support. GO CARD ��*♀️��❤️

-------

Yes, all kind of expected. Legacy, lives nearby and probably indoctrinated at an early age. I'm sure we offered more money but in her case money wasn't the issue.
tedbear
Meh. This was a foregone conclusion with the commitment of Alicia. I was bummed when Maggie chose U$C and Nikol chose Tennessee, but don't see this as a big loss. #zoebartel2018
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear;842743900 said:

I was bummed when Maggie chose U$C and Nikol chose Tennessee, but don't see this as a big loss. #zoebartel2018

[COLOR="#006699"]My only worry is that Grace's verbal here means that Meehan won't have to wait until 2018 to address the furdettes' current notable vulnerability in the wake of Haase's graduation and Poppe adding time since coming to the Farm, the breaststrokes being one of their very few weaknesses now.

Not that Eastin would likely be called upon to do breast duty, at least in the individual events (she currently has the 2nd fastest PB in the shorter distance behind Heidi, so they could conceivably use Ella in the medley relays), but Zhao's commitment and the potential development of Szekely back into an elite breaststroker (had become more of a backstroker & IMer despite having once been known for her 200 breast skillz) will surely provide the Card more breathing room and options to play with, which is always dangerous...[/COLOR]
tedbear
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842743909 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]My only worry is that Grace's verbal here means that Meehan won't have to wait until 2018 to address the furdettes' current notable vulnerability in the wake of Haase's graduation and Poppe adding time since coming to the Farm, the breaststrokes being one of their very few weaknesses now.

Not that Eastin would likely be called upon to do breast duty, at least in the individual events (she currently has the 2nd fastest PB in the shorter distance behind Heidi, so they could conceivably use Ella in the medley relays), but Zhao's commitment and the potential development of Szekely back into an elite breaststroker (had become more of a backstroker & IMer despite having once been known for her 200 breast skillz) will surely provide the Card more breathing room and options to play with, which is always dangerous...[/COLOR]

I completely agree with your premise of the Furd seeming to be better off than us in the breast stroke for next year, but you kind of answered your own question. Unless, GZ improves dramatically, Eastin is much faster than her, and will be the breast stroke leg of their medleys. We want a breast stroker who is going to be faster than Kathleen.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
Good point there - upon reflection we really did dodge quite a bullet when Mags, who many had originally reckoned was a sure thing for Stanford, went over to the [U]Trojanettes[/U] didn't we?!

Maggie's 58.98 PB would have been a monsta upgrade for the furdettes in both of their medley relays (Lilly King should walk away with the [U]100 breast[/U] individual crown this season though), as Grace holds a 1:00.65 PR in the 100 breast, and Nikol a 59.64.

Ella does have a 1:00.33 from 2015 CC CIF State Champs (i.e. done in HS), whilst Heidi's best is actually a 59.21 from LSJU's mid-season invite back in 2014 - so I was wrong about Poppe adding time since coming to the Farm, since that didn't happen until after Art Adamson 2014...she was a 59.87 @ 2015 NCAAs, then went up to 1:02.17 @ 2016 Pac-12s!
[/COLOR]
BearDevil
Just looking at the relays, equal needs now for a medley breastroker, an 800 free leg, and a 200 free leg. Abbey, Amy, and Kathleen will all max out at 4 relays and could conceivably swim all five, but need additional relays legs where they can't swim.

Not enough individual scoring in both breasts, distance, 400 IM, and 200 Free. No slam dunk 50 to 200 freestyler in the class, so have to break up the relay and individual scoring deficits via development, additional recruits, transfers, or internationals.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842741163 said:

Some of the [U]2017[/U] recruits who I'm afraid/worried/think may show up in Palo Alto this weekend (along with possibly 1 or 2 of their legacies):

[INDENT]Brooke Forde[/INDENT]

-------

Brooke Forde: I can't wait to be a Stanford Tree! So excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim at Stanford University! I am thankful to join an amazing team and school!

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

[INDENT]Ashley Volpenhein[/INDENT]

-------

Ashley Volpenhein: Couldn't be more excited to announce my commitment to swim at Stanford!! I can't wait to be a part of such an amazing school and team! Go Card!!��❤️

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

[INDENT]Hannah Kukurugya[/INDENT]

-------

Hannah Kukurugya: I am excited to announce my verbal commitment to Stanford University! I cannot wait to further my education and swimming career at such an extraordinary school. Thank you to everyone for the overwhelming support. I am blessed to be a part of an incredible program. Go Trees! ��❣��

-------
tedbear
Hooray, we have lots of scholarship money for the Class of 2018!!! :p #taylorruck #zoebartel #evamerrell #lucienordmann #marysophieharvey
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
First of all, congrats to all these top recruits in both the pool & classroom that we have been waxing so enthusiastically over on this thread and elsewhere! :cheer

Committing to one of the best universities and swimming programmes in this country is a veritable accomplishment indeed - though if you should ever change your minds haha, we would also love to warmly welcome you to the other top uni across the bay as [U]2017 baby bears[/U]!!! :p

Greg Meehan has really outdone himself this recruiting cycle if that's even possible <g>, fulfilling his elite [U]IM/middle distance[/U], [U]breaststroke[/U], [U]fly[/U] & [U]sprinting[/U] needs in yet another killer class - so very impressive and will make future face-offs with our :bear:s and other schools that more exciting & competitive. Great for the region too with so much talent & star power pouring into the Pac-12 programmes! :beer:

-----

So, verbal commitments to [U]LSJU[/U] at this point:
[/COLOR]
[INDENT] [COLOR="#B22222"]Brooke Forde (CollegeSwimming's [U]#1 KY, #2 Nat[/U] - SwimSwam's #4)
Hannah Kukurugya (CollegeSwimming's [U]#1 IN, #21 Nat[/U] - SwimSwam's #8)
Grace Zhao (CollegeSwimming's [U]#2 CA, #12 Nat[/U] - SwimSwam's #10) - [COLOR="#8B4513"]had visited Cal[/COLOR]
Ashley Volpenhein (CollegeSwimming's [U]#1 OH, #18 Nat[/U] - SwimSwam's #12) -[COLOR="#8B4513"]had visited Cal[/COLOR]
Lauren Green (CollegeSwimming's [U]#5 CA, #29 Nat[/U])[/COLOR] [/INDENT]

[COLOR="#006699"]

-----

Of the known visitors to Cal who hadn't committed to LSJU:[/COLOR]

[INDENT] [COLOR="#DAA520"]Alicia Harrison (CollegeSwimming's [U]#11 CA, #75 Nat[/U]) => :bear:
Dannie Dilsaver (CollegeSwimming's [U]#2 NE, #82 Nat[/U]) => :bear: (unofficial)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]Alexis Margett (CollegeSwimming's [U]#3 CA, #23 Nat[/U]) -> Michigan
Olivia Anderson (CollegeSwimming's [U]#2 ON, #31 Nat[/U]) -> Georgia
Ingrid Wall (CollegeSwimming's [U]#2 IL, #67 Nat[/U]) -> Harvard[/COLOR]

Sophie Krivokapic-Zhou (CollegeSwimming's [U]#6 CA, #37 Nat[/U]) - Not yet announced
Katie Glavinovich (CollegeSwimming's [U]#10 CA, #64 Nat[/U]) - Not yet announced
[/INDENT]
OBear073akaSMFan
I take back my boot comment. I was just kidding about my fetish........:p
Microbear85
Things don't seem to be going our way. At this point in the game, how nervous should we be?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
Dave Salo also on a roll with the recruiting this year, receiving a commitment from the class' fastest sprint flyer, Caitlin Tycz.

[U]USC[/U]'s verbals so far:
[INDENT] Maggie Aroesty (CollegeSwimming's [U]#1 NY[/U], [U]#5 Nat[/U] - SwimSwam's #3) - Sprint Breaststroker (best in class)
Marta Ciesla (CollegeSwimming's [U]#1 FL[/U], [U]#20 Nat[/U] - SwimSwam's #13) - Sprint Freestyler
Caitlin Tycz (CollegeSwimming's [U]#1 ME[/U], [U]#26 Nat[/U] - SwimSwam's #14) - Sprint Butterflier (best in class)
Isabella Rongione (CollegeSwimming's [U]#1 VA[/U], [U]#30 Nat[/U]), early commit back in May - NCAP Distance star[/INDENT]

[/COLOR]
-------

Caitlin Tycz: So excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of Southern California!! I can't thank my family, coaches, teammates, and friends enough for helping me along the way! ❤️��✌��️ #FightOn

https://instagr.am/p/BLcMDGUjl_t

-------
BearDevil
Microbear85;842744419 said:

Things don't seem to be going our way. At this point in the game, how nervous should we be?

Teri's in a bit of a trough. HOF coach if she retired today. Coached two of America's best female swimmers of all time: Natalie and Missy, who dominated in high school, college, and internationally. Combined they won "only" one NCAA team title. Only seven schools have ever won NCAA team titles and Teri's won four.

Shot the moon with her first title team: NCAA champions and the highest GPA of all 27 Cal varsity teams. The Klaren/Piehl class was her first monster class: 3 top ten recruits, 2 NCAA titles, all nine recruits graduated from Cal on time. No US Olympians, but two Hong Kong Olympians. Rodgers, Tony G, and Kidd are all slam dunk pro HOFers, but never won big at Cal. Teri's title teams made expectations in and out of the pool exceedingly hard to beat.

LSJU was dominant in the '90s, but crappy between 1999 until Meehan arrived. Their men's team is still crappy, but their recruiting on both teams has consistently been excellent.

There's a direct line from David Marsh (5 women's titles at Auburn) to Durden (4 titles at Cal) to Meehan (asst on two Durden title teams). That's a proven linege and LSJU's reaping the benefits of that.

There was a lot of pressure on Teri to win multiple titles with Missy and she came through as a sophomore. Teri faces similar "pressure" with Baker, Amy, McL, and Abbey. Current team will probably score around 400 points at NCAAs and may come up 100+ points short of LSJU. Durden's faced a similar Texas juggernaut over the last two seasons.

Teri still needs a high end breaststroker and two distance aces to have title shots in 2018 or 2019. Dilemma is whether to hold schollies for a deeper 2018 class or spend now on internationals or transfers who may give the Dream Team two bites of the apple. Short term floor for Teri's Bears is fifth and ceiling is NCAA champs. Probably split the difference for the next three seasons. Sadly third's been serious mourning in B town for 2 of the last 3 seasons, sandwiched between a title team. Good luck with those expectations.

LSJU's been a comatose giant for nearly two decades. Sucks that Cal's rival has built a juggernaut, but Meehan's a good guy and a terrific coach.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Erin Earley, National Junior teamer specialising in distance and backstroke, has verbally committed to UVa.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842744236 said:

First of all, congrats to all these top recruits in both the pool & classroom that we have been waxing so enthusiastically over on this thread and elsewhere! :cheer

[INDENT] [COLOR="#DAA520"]Alicia Harrison (CollegeSwimming's [U]#11 CA, #75 Nat[/U]) => :bear:
Dannie Dilsaver (CollegeSwimming's [U]#2 NE, #82 Nat[/U]) => :bear: (unofficial)[/COLOR]
[/INDENT]

[COLOR="#006699"]
SwimSwam on Dannie's commitment:
[/COLOR]
-------

[COLOR="#003366"][SIZE=5]5x Nebraska State Champ Dannie Dilsaver Commits to "Dream School" Cal[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="#696969"]Greater Nebraska Swim Team's Dannie Dilsaver "has fulfilled a lifelong dream by verbally committing to Cal." Current Photo via Mike Witt[/COLOR]

According to her coaches at Greater Nebraska Swim Team, Leigh Ann Fetter-Witt and Mike Witt, Dannie Dilsaver "has fulfilled a lifelong dream by verbally committing to Cal."

Dilsaver is a multi-faceted talent, with 2016 Olympic Trials cuts in the 200m free, 100m breast, 200m IM, and 400m IM. A senior at Lincoln Southwest High School, she is the reigning Nebraska State High School champion in the 200 IM (2:00.57) and 100 breast (1:02.24). She also swam breast (28.07) on Lincoln Southwest's first-place 200 medley relay and anchored their winning 400 free relay (51.09) last February at the 2016 state meet.

Swimming for GNST at 2016 Speedo Summer Juniors, Dilsaver finaled in the 100m breast (12th), 200m breast (20th), 200m IM (5th), and 400m IM (7th). She also swam the 100m free, 400m free, and 100m fly, and anchored two of GNST's relays.

Her top times include:

[U]SCY LCM[/U]
200 free 1:50.25 2:02.28
500/400 free 4:57.22 4:21.74
100 breast 1:02.15 1:11.10
200 breast 2:16.01 2:35.89
200 IM 2:00.37 2:17.10
400 IM 4:15.90 4:53.19

Cal will lose top-scoring breaststroker Marina Garcia to graduation after this season, but Maija Roses will be a senior when Dilsaver begins. Much of the storied IM group will have turned over as well, yet Dilsaver will have the opportunity to train with Kathleen Baker for a couple of years. All said, she is a great pick-up for the Golden Bears, whose only other verbal commit so far for the class of 2021 is Ali Harrison, a 1:01.4/2:14.4 breaststroker who should be an excellent training partner.

https://swimswam.com/5x-nebraska-state-champ-dannie-dilsaver-commits-dream-school-cal/

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
SwimSwam article on [U]recruiting & social media[/U] (input from several collegiate swim coaches, with the author perhaps writing from a parent's perspective):
[/COLOR]
-------

[SIZE=4]How Does Social Media Affect Recruiting?[/SIZE]

https://swimswam.com/social-media-affect-recruiting/

-------
OBear073akaSMFan
She wasn't on the top of our list but you know what I'm really excited for her and Cal. I look forward to her progress in these next 4 years!
tedbear
Ugh, add Pitzer to the Furd commit list.

https://swimswam.com/6-lauren-pitzer-becomes-5th-top-20-verbally-commit-stanford/
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear;842746483 said:

Ugh, add Pitzer to the Furd commit list.

https://swimswam.com/6-lauren-pitzer-becomes-5th-top-20-verbally-commit-stanford/

[INDENT][COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=3]#6 LAUREN PITZER BECOMES 5TH TOP-20 TO VERBALLY COMMIT TO STANFORD[/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

[COLOR="#006699"]First of all, tedbear should be massively affronted by Swimswam author Anne Lepesant's misuse of his Dream Team moniker, for having applied it to the furdettes instead of our :bear: studettes in her article [COLOR="#696969"]("The Stanford Dream Team of 2021"[/COLOR])! :p
[/COLOR]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842743358 said:

btw I think there's a chance that Lauren Pitzer may show up as a visitor to the Farm if Ashley isn't there, tho I think Volpenhein's appearance will be more likely than Pitzer's...

[COLOR="#006699"]Once again as can be seen from my quoted comment above, it seems that I have grossly misread trends and the status quo, as hadn't predicted both of this class' top freestyle sprinters (Lauren has the wider range) to end up on the red team! Originally reckoned Lauren may lean more towards Georgia or Horns/A&M, tbh.

Whether this bonanza of a recruiting success stems mostly from LSJU's academic reputation, their women's swim coaching staff, the "Ledecky effect" (just like Natalie & Missy for us in the past), or the undeniable fact of Ledecky/Manuel/DiRado/Neal/Cook having performed so well in Rio - big props go out to coaches Meehan & Duhac for hitting it out of the recruiting ballpark this time round (again), building on and arguably exceeding even their past several stellar classes in terms of acquiring the talent that will help them get to, and stay perched at the very top of, the pyramid for some period to come (obviously none of the other contenders incl. Cal are going to make it easy or a fait accompli for our arch rivals across the bay).

Joining our disappointment (congrats & well wishes to these recruits nonetheless ) over the [U]2017 LSJU commits[/U] on SwimSwam's Top 20 ranking who had visited the campus but chose to make the Farm their abode for the next 4 years will no doubt be the following schools (known visits obviously, sure there are several others not listed here):
[COLOR="#696969"][INDENT]Brooke Forde - UVa, Horns, UGA
Lauren Pitzer - UVa, Horns, Mich
Hannah Kukurugya - Zona, 'SC, UGA
Grace Zhao - [U]Cal[/U]
Ashley Volpenhein - UVa, 'SC, [U]Cal[/U], Horns[/INDENT]
[/COLOR]
Remaining Top 20 recruits who haven't announced a verbal commitment at this point, and the schools they have visited:
[INDENT][COLOR="#696969"]Paige Madden (mid free, back) - UVa, A&M, UGA
Anna Belousova (breast) -'SC?[/COLOR][/INDENT]

Paige has no known connections to Bears and hasn't been to Berkeley in an official capacity AFAIK, so not expecting her to make a last-minute announcement in our favour though would always be very welcome as Madden's skill set would be of some help to our needs.

Breaststrokers Dannie Dilsaver & Ali Harrison are already officially baby :bear: verbals, so it would be a mite surprising if Anna was to join the fold even if her breast times are currently faster...also consider that her being out-of-state (and an international?) would equate to more scholly funds involved.

Still waiting to hear from these Cal visitors:
[INDENT][COLOR="#696969"]Sophie Krivokapic-Zhou (back, 100 fly, 200 free) - A&M, [U]Cal[/U]
Katie Glavinovich (IMs, 200 back) - Duke, [U]Cal[/U][/COLOR][/INDENT]
[/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842746616 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]Remaining Top 20 recruits who haven't announced a verbal commitment at this point, and the schools they have visited:
[INDENT][COLOR="#696969"]Paige Madden (mid free, back) - UVa, A&M, UGA
Anna Belousova (breast) -'SC?[/COLOR][/INDENT]

Paige has no known connections to Bears and hasn't been to Berkeley in an official capacity AFAIK, so not expecting her to make a last-minute announcement in our favour though would always be very welcome as Madden's skill set would be of some help to our needs.[/COLOR]

Paige Madden: So so so excited to announce my verbal commitment to the University of Virginia!! I've known that this is where I belong for a long time now, and I'm so happy to finally make it official! HUGE thanks to my friends, family, and coaches for helping throughout this process�� can't wait to be a part of such a great school and program! #GOHOOS ✌��

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
A Bear-y warm welcome to Cal commit Alexandra Skorus-Neely (#14 CA, #118 Nat), Breaststroke/IM, from Abbey's club! :cheer
[/COLOR]
-----

[COLOR="#000080"][SIZE=5]SOCAL'S ALEXANDRA SKORUS-NEELY GIVES VERBAL COMMITMENT TO CAL[/SIZE][/COLOR]

So excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim for the University of California Berkeley's class of 2021, go bears! ������

https://swimswam.com/socals-alexandra-skorus-neely-gives-verbal-commitment-cal/

-----

[COLOR="#006699"]
Lex had visited the campus over the weekend...
[/COLOR]

uhlexuh: Had such and amazing time this weekend ������

OBear073akaSMFan
Look forward to seeing her the next 4 years! Go Bears!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.