Women's Swim Recruiting: Class of 2017

132,726 Views | 337 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BearDevil;842721350 said:

Courtney Harnish in Kville? BFFs with Small, but may be Georgia bound.

[COLOR="#006699"]Haven't stumbled upon any signs of Courtney on a recruiting trip just yet, but it's still early and more photos will surely be cropping up in due time...

Seem to recall 'Zona held their official campus visit at the very end of August last year ... next up were Tenn, UGA, Texas & IU who hosted theirs the following (game day) weekend ... then a bunch of colleges the week after that (U$C, Louisville, UVa, Mich, Minn, Florida, Auburn, etc.)
[/COLOR]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842721332 said:

In other news/gossip :p, there are some indirect indications that sprinter Ashley Volpenhein may be visiting UVa this weekend...

[COLOR="#006699"]Ha, that lil rumour has just been visually confirmed!
[/COLOR]
------
[COLOR="#696969"]
L to R: [U]Marcie Maguire[/U] (#4 CT, #90 Nat), [U]Ashley[/U] (#1 OH, #18 Nat), [U]Kyla Valls[/U] (#3 FL, #72 Nat)
[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#006699"]

Leah Smith & the Hoos Olympians are also being honoured at "Fan Fest" during the Richmond game today:
[/COLOR]

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
BearDevil;842721691 said:

Always wary of Southern schools where students wear picnic tablecloths (NC State, Tennessee) or ties/sundresses (UVa) to football games...

[COLOR="#006699"]I'm sort of partial to the striped pyjamas that are in vogue over in Bloomington, though not the colour as much... (this all said tongue-in-cheek, apologies to Lilly in advance :p)
[/COLOR]
NYCGOBEARS
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842721721 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]I'm sort of partial to the striped pyjamas that are in vogue over in Bloomington, though not the colour as much... (this all said tongue-in-cheek, apologies to Lilly in advance :p)
[/COLOR]

That's the Hot Dog On A Stick uniform, ain't it?
tedbear
NYCGOBEARS;842721724 said:

That's the Hot Dog On A Stick uniform, ain't it?

Hahaha! It would be cool if they could wear the hats to the meets too 😆.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
First [U]2017 verbal[/U] for the furdettes?

Lauren Green's stats over @ CollegeSwimming [COLOR="#696969"](#5 CA, #29 Nat)[/COLOR]: https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/422611/
[/COLOR]

------

[COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=5]Trials Qualifier Lauren Green Verbals to Neighboring Stanford[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://swimswam.com/trials-qualifier-lauren-green-verbals-neighboring-stanford/

------
barabbas
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842721721 said:

[/COLOR]

"In vogue?" They've(hoops) been wearing them for 40 years or more
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear;842668964 said:

The second biggest need is filling the shoes of the MVP of the past year, Farida Osman. While there are no uber sprinters in the mold of Simone Manuel or Abbey Weitzeil in this class, there are still some very good ones. I really don't have a favorite here yet, but we only need one on this list.

The Sprinters

3. Marta Ciesla; Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Marta was part of the US Junior National Team, so she knows Nikol and Maggie. Her times are 50 Free (22.52), 100 Free (48.97), and 200 Free (1:51.57)

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842707791 said:

[SIZE=5]Top 20 NCAA Swimming Recruits in the Girls High School Class of 2017[/SIZE]

13. Marta Ciesla Pine Crest Swimming Pine Crest School Fort Lauderdale, FL
Best Times: 50 free 22.52, 100 free 48.97, 200 free 1:49.53

See Volpenhein. Ciesla is a little less versatile, but since when do sprint freestylers need versatility, with two individual slots and up to 4 relays?

https://swimswam.com/top-20-ncaa-recruits-girls-high-school-class-2017/

[COLOR="#006699"]
Marta Ciesla (#1 FL, #20 Nat) visited Carol Capitani's group over the weekend, so was on deck to witness the Horns' historic upset victory over the Irish earlier today.

[INDENT]https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/258139/[/INDENT]

Seen here with Texas senior Tasija Karosas:
[/COLOR]
[INDENT][COLOR="#696969"]Tasija & Marta[/COLOR][/INDENT]
Mark King
Looks like someone's been spending a little too much time on my daughter's Instagram. :p
BearDevil
Props to Lilly for her schweeet karaoke lobster suit and bringing home gold. Should have head butt that commie doper...
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
:rollinglaugh:

All hail Queen (King?) Lilly!!! :acclaim:

[video=youtube;vv5zkEFDiRo][/video]

Back to recruiting trips ... looks like Ashley V wasn't the only bright prospect visiting the Cavaliers this weekend.

Here we have Paige Madden, who happens to be friends with :bear: freshie Chenoa, being hosted by Leah Smith & Cece Williams in patriotic fashion:

[U]SwimSwam[/U]'s blurb on Paige:
[/COLOR]

18. Paige Madden City of Mobile Swim Association UMS-Wright Preparatory School Mobile, AL
Best Times: 500 free 4:42.17, 200 free 1:45.68, 100 free 49.75, 200 back 1:55.57, 100 back 53.71

One of the class's best 200 freestylers. Could develop into mid-sprints, mid-distance or even backstroke.

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842722621 said:

Marta Ciesla (#1 FL, #20 Nat) visited Carol Capitani's group over the weekend, so was on deck to witness the Horns' historic upset victory over the Irish earlier today.

[INDENT]https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/258139/[/INDENT]

[COLOR="#006699"]
Marta was joined by another [U]Top 10[/U] recruit, IM'er Brooke Forde @ Austin Grafitti Park:

As is well-known in the swimming community, Brooke is Pat Forde's daughter...BD posted his thoughts earlier on that she may lean towards [U]Louisville[/U] (where she's based, with the Lakeside Seahawks), [U]Kentucky[/U] or [U]Georgia[/U] (brother Clayton is a freshman on UGA's swim team). Big swimming family as her other brother Mitchell's a senior on the Mizzou Tigers swim team. Keeping my fingers crossed that LSJU's not on Brooke's shopping list, even if her dad appears to be a fan of Katie Ledecky & Maya DiRado... :p

Brooke is ranked #4 amongst the entire 2017 recruiting class by [U]SwimSwam[/U], and rated even higher by [U]CollegeSwimming[/U] (#1 KY, #2 Nat)!

[INDENT]https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/271797/[/INDENT]
[/COLOR]

4. Brooke Forde – Lakeside Swim Team – Sacred Heart Academy – Louisville, KY
Best Times: 400 IM – 4:07.49, 200 IM – 1:57.85, 200 fly – 1:57.03, 100 fly – 53.44, 200 free – 1:46.76, 200 breast – 2:11.29

The recruiting class’s best 400 IMer is never going to fall very far in these ranks, given how much college coaches value versatility. Forde could wind up swimming 4 different event disciplines at any dual meet or conference championship, and contributing in all 4. She’s also a fast riser – her 400 IM has dropped from a 4:14 in 2014 to a 4:07 last year, and her 200 IM has shaved two full seconds in that time, from 1:59.8 to 1:57.8.

BearDevil;842716493 said:

Immediate targets: Maggie, Marta, Harnish, Pitzer, and Forde.

OBear073akaSMFan
For the Texas game?
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842722969 said:

When are the swimming recruits visiting Cal? For the Texas game?

[COLOR="#006699"]Your guess is as good as mine haha ... but yes, the Texas home opener looks to be the most likely candidate...
[/COLOR]
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842722992 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]Your guess is as good as mine haha ... but yes, the Texas home opener looks to be the most likely candidate...
[/COLOR]

Maybe winner takes all, with Texas recruiting Marta and Forde (of course assuming they are coming).
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842723116 said:

Maybe winner takes all, with Texas recruiting Marta and Forde (of course assuming they are coming).

[COLOR="#006699"]I'm perfectly fine with "winner takes all" - as long as it's :bear:, naturally! ...before those strutting Longhorns get too cocky after their massive home win v. the Fighting Irish - don't forget that Austin was Bear Territory last Sept, and UT won't even have home field advantage in a week & a half's time...

Back to swimming, don't have all that clear an idea at my end as to who to expect on campus for the home opener match against Texas (if that's indeed penciled in as the designated official visiting weekend). Definitely trying hard to tone down my own expectations after the serious misses on some of our pre-visit [U]2016[/U] faves who had shown up on campus a year ago (Katie Drabot, Meghan Small, Hannah Cox).

Quite a number of promising [U]2017[/U] prospects who could help the team, but won't be a bonanza recruiting year like the outstanding [U]2015[/U] talent crop that culminated in the Dream Team (Abbey, Kathleen, Katie, Amy). Really will come down to what Teri perceives & identifies as the priority areas to find a suitable match from, taking into consideration graduations, scholly budget, team & academic fit, mutual interest etc.

Informed contributors like BearDevil & tedbear have already shared a bunch of the main targets on their wish lists, taking into account legacy recruits and local + in-state prospects who may not be as highly-profiled. As always, there will surely be more than a few surprises who have slipped under our radar, due to the very incomplete & limited intel that we as outside bystanders have access to.

Think BD is expecting to see some combo of Maggie, Harnish, Popov, Zhao, Margett, Ault, and Kuks in Berkeley over the next few weeks? (i.e. not all of them necessarily on the official visit weekend)

The following is pure speculation of course, but my feeling FWIW is that Brooke Forde could end up @ UT or LSJU (or some other school before Cal) ... Grace Zhao (PASA)'s other half is a Sun Devil, but surely is on McKeever & Meehan's short list... Taylor Ault may be a U$C lean ... Alexis Margett is a Brea Aquatics teammate of Bruins freshie Kenisha Liu ...

Other [U]Top 20[/U] recruits that we haven't discussed as much as of late:
[INDENT] Sierra Schmidt -> Michigan (legacy), 'SC, or Georgia?
Ashlyn Schoof -> IU or WI??
Victoria Edwards -> Horns?
Caitlin Tycz = Ledecky fan
Anna Belousova spotted @ Santa Monica Pier over the weekend, so may be checking out the SoCal schools?[/INDENT]

UGA will be hosting their home opener v. Nicholls this coming weekend, will be interesting to observe who will show up there. As for the Canucks that tedbear's so fond of lol, look for Mary-Sophie Harvey and/or Sarah Darcel to possibly visit Michigan, Georgia, Indiana, or Minnesota - if they are interested in competing in the NCAA that is (former's from Quebec, so less likely). All these colleges boast Canadian national teamers, and have home football games scheduled for this weekend (thanks for the info, BD).
[/COLOR]

UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842721332 said:

A potentially intriguing development is Hungarian flier & former multiple Jr WR holder Lilina Szilgyi's Knoxville visit (seen here with Toussaint @ Uni of TN Aquatic Centre yesterday):

What could be telling that this may not be just a casual visit w/an old friend, is Lilina tagging her post "#fUTureVols"... wow, would be a major, major catch by Kredich & the Vols if Szilgyi is indeed considering coming on board over there!

[COLOR="#006699"] Appears that Lilina's making her rounds of several Uni swim programmes - first Tenn, now Florida. Wouldn't mind seeing her on campus next weekend, if her academics is a fit and there's mutual interest, seeing that Cal is fast becoming Butterfly U in addition to being the Backstroke Institution! Farida will have graduated next year (hopefully will stay to train w/Dana, Caitlin, Camille & possibly Missy to Tokyo), but Szilgyi would have Katie, Noemie, Jasmine & Maddie to push her in practices. However, international elites are $$, so chances aren't all that great to be perfectly realistic.
[/COLOR]
Lilina: Crazy times with these crazy cuties ������ #thatsagator #yaass

ttgiang15
OBear073akaSMFan;842722969 said:

For the Texas game?

The timing makes sense, but I sure hope this is not the case. Texas game could be disastrous like Ohio State all over again with their fans taking over half the stadium. Not a good look/intro to Cal. Someone else can confirm, but that early October game with Utah should be homecoming and the campus sets up a lot nicer for visitors.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
Ashley, Marta & Maggie @ [U]'SC[/U] today.

Ummm, hope this was just a courtesy visit on their part, just a temporary stop to warm up for the main event @ Berkeley next weekend, as we want all 3 of them!!!
[/COLOR]
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842724345 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]

Ummm, hope this was just a courtesy visit on their part, just a temporary stop to warm up for the main event @ Berkeley next weekend, as we want all 3 of them!!!
[/COLOR]

Wonder why Ashley wearing a boot. She seem ok at UVA. Wonder if she stepped in a gopher hole..in VA.
tedbear
I expect all three to be here next weekend. I wonder if Popov is there? Is Georgia having there recruiting weekend too?

So far, AV - Virginia, U$C, MC - Texas, U$C, MA - U$C
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842724364 said:

Wonder why Ashley wearing a boot. She seem ok at UVA. Wonder if she stepped in a gopher hole..in VA.

[COLOR="#006699"]Fashion statement...? :p
[/COLOR]

tedbear;842724367 said:

I expect all three to be here next weekend. I wonder if Popov is there? Is Georgia having there recruiting weekend too?

So far, AV - Virginia, U$C, MC - Texas, U$C, MA - U$C

[COLOR="#006699"]UGA's hosting Nicholls State tomorrow, so would expect to see some recruits show up @ Sanford Stadium at some point.

Not going to underestimate the apparent draw of those up n' coming Trojans as Dave Salo does have an enviable history of recruiting an awful lot of the best breaststroke talent - poached Kirsten Vose who had visited Cal the same weekend as the Dream Team, even converted her to become an ace 200 freestyler.

So Mags will surely give 'SC some serious thought, they'd have to be considered one of the front-runners in the race for this class' best sprint breaststroker.

What surprises me a wee bit is the apparent size of U$C's coffers in terms of scholly budget - they boasted the largest 2015 recruiting class (13 in all I think...now they can't really be all walk-ons, can they?!), followed by some heavyweight signings last year which earned them the #3 recruiting class spot from SwimSwam: 2 Top 5s (Becca Mann & Stanzi Moseley), another in the Top 20 (Tatum Wade), plus the top international in the class, 100-200 free/100 fly stud Louise Hansson, who was Sweden's anchor in the 4x200m free final in Rio.
[/COLOR]
barabbas
ttgiang15;842723490 said:

The timing makes sense, but I sure hope this is not the case. Texas game could be disastrous like Ohio State all over again with their fans taking over half the stadium. Not a good look/intro to Cal. Someone else can confirm, but that early October game with Utah should be homecoming and the campus sets up a lot nicer for visitors.

Yea, I agree. Some people, surpringly, thought it was great to have all the Ohio St fans at Memorial. I was embarrassed and mortified.
barabbas
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842724345 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]

[/COLOR]

11AM start at the Coleseum v Utah st. I don't believe that will be an impressive atmosphere
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
Nikol having fun cliff diving @ Sabino Canyon w/Kuks over the weekend during their [U]Zona[/U] trip:
[/COLOR]

Nikol Popov (#1 CA, #8 Nat) & Hannah Kukurugya (#1 IN, #22 Nat)

[COLOR="#006699"]
However...just 10 minutes ago...
[/COLOR]
Nikol Popov: Beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim for the University of Tennessee! I can't wait to start my journey with this incredible team. Its great to be a Tennessee Vol!!������ #classof2021 #LadyVols #KnoxvilleTN

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[COLOR="#006699"]
A few more recruiting trips that went down this weekend:
[/COLOR]

------

[INDENT][COLOR="#FF0000"][SIZE=4][U]UGA[/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

1. Courtney Harnish York YMCA West York Area High School York, PA
Best Times: 500 free 4:39.13, 200 fly 1:54.37, 200 free 1:45.62, 1650 free 16:08.57, 400 IM 4:11.93, 100 fly 52.87, 100 back 54.04, 200 back 1:55.41

For the second-straight year, a York YMCA swimmer is our top girls recruit. Harnish is more distance-oriented than 2016's Meghan Small, but has the same brand of across-the-board versatility. Harnish is already at NCAA scoring level in the 500 free and 200 fly, and should also have a big relay impact as a 200 freestyler and perhaps 100 flyer. And her 400 IM might turn out most valuable in the long run.

Morgan Friesen (#2 CO, #63 Nat) & Courtney Harnish (#1 PA, #1 Nat)

------

[INDENT][COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=4][U]USC[/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

[COLOR="#808080"]Lily Dubroff[/COLOR], Maggie Aroesty (#1 NY, #5 Nat), [COLOR="#808080"]Riley Scott[/COLOR], Marta Ciesla (#1 FL, #20 Nat)

7. Ashlyn Schoof Schroeder Swim Team Muskego High School Muskego, WI
Best Times: 100 back 51.98, 200 back 1:54.35, 200 free 1:47.76, 100 fly 54.46, 200 fly 2:00.65

Schoof's value is kind of a roller coaster. The backstrokes have become so insane at the NCAA level that the national high school record (51.4) would barely eke out points at college nationals. That makes it hard for even an elite high school backstroker to carry big value right away. But Schoof is also head and shoulders the best backstroker in this class. In a crowd of girls going 53s and 54s, Schoof has already been sub-52. She's also not far off NCAA scoring level in the 200 back and could turn into a relay factor with her 200 free.

Ashlyn Schoof (#1 WI, #15 Nat)

Ashley Volpenhein (#1 OH, #18 Nat)

[COLOR="#006699"]
Note to OBear: looks like Ashley's wearing a boot cos of a fracture...
[/COLOR]

Marta & Ashley

------

[INDENT][COLOR="#B22222"][SIZE=4][U]TEXAS A&M[/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

18. Paige Madden City of Mobile Swim Association UMS-Wright Preparatory School Mobile, AL
Best Times: 500 free 4:42.17, 200 free 1:45.68, 100 free 49.75, 200 back 1:55.57, 100 back 53.71

One of the class's best 200 freestylers. Could develop into mid-sprints, mid-distance or even backstroke.

Paige Madden (#1 AL, #24 Nat)

------

[INDENT][COLOR="#FF8C00"][SIZE=4][U]UVa[/U][/SIZE][/COLOR][/INDENT]

Caitlin Tycz (#1 ME, #26 Nat), Lauren Pitzer (#1 TX, #6 Nat), Erin Earley (#1 CT, #19 Nat), Brooke Forde (#1 KY, #2 Nat) , Caroline Gmelich (#9 NJ, #424 Nat)

Lauren Pitzer (#1 TX, #6 Nat), Emma Seiberlich (#3 PA, #43 Nat), Emma Cain (GBR), Erin Earley (#1 CT, #19 Nat), Caitlin Tycz (#1 ME, #26 Nat), Caroline Gmelich (#9 NJ, #424 Nat), Annie Kyriakidis (#2 TN, #70 Nat), Brooke Forde (#1 KY, #2 Nat)

------

[COLOR="#006699"]
In other commitment news, Drabot's former clubmate Skylar Fore (#2 WI, #61 Nat) has verbaled to [U]Notre Dame[/U].

As has Rachel Wittmer ((#1 MN, #57 Nat) from Bootsie's old club, the Aquajets.

Canadian sprint flyer/backstroker Danika Huizinga (#1 ON, #11 Nat), friend of Penny's, committed to the Wolfpack.

Danika will be joining Olivia Calegan (#1 NE, #55 Nat), in-states Julia Poole (#3 NC, #75 Nat) & Kate Moore (#4 NC, #78 Nat) @ NC State, as well as earlier commits Lindsay Stone (#4 NY, #80 Nat) & Cailey Grunhard (#1 KS, #98 Nat).

Meanwhile Emma Cole (#1 GA, #53 Nat) has elected to go with UNC.

The Tar Heels have already received a verbal from SwimMac's Caroline Hauder (#1 NC, #34 Nat).

[/COLOR]
------
OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842726478 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]
[Nikol Popov: Beyond excited to announce my verbal commitment to swim for the University of Tennessee! I can't wait to start my journey with this incredible team. Its great to be a Tennessee Vol!!������ #classof2021 #LadyVols #KnoxvilleTN

Can't believe she committed so early in the recruiting process. why would a Calif gal commit so fast and not take all of her trips. Can't believe it!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842726545 said:

Can't believe she committed so early in the recruiting process. why would a Calif gal commit so fast and not take all of her trips. Can't believe it!

[COLOR="#006699"]
Perhaps Nikol got an offer that she simply just couldn't refuse? :p Srsly tho, could be for a number of reasons (that we'll probably never be privy to lol). Not likely due to a time-sensitive offer tho, as based solely on the swimming side, reckon Popov can have virtually her pick of a number of top NCAA programmes, since breaststroke studs have a relatively high value attached to them (think medley relays).

Kudos to Matt Kredich for some impressive recruiting chops over at [U]Tenn[/U] - he has more than adequately addressed the Vols' breaststroke needs by snagging the #1 recruit of last year's class, super versatile IM'er Meghan Small...not content with that, Jr. transfer Scot breaststroker Katie Armitage from FCGU (from where he had poached Dutch Olympian backstroker Kira Toussaint the season prior), and now such an early verbal from Nikol!

Speaking of British breaststrokers who are planning to study & compete in American colleges, Emma Cain (mentioned a couple of posts back) visited [U]UVa[/U] this weekend. Emma may be heading out west to check out the [U]Bruins[/U] this coming weekend. As for the Hoos, they hosted quite a number of top prospects in the class, including sprinter Lauren Pitzer, IMer Brooke Forde (@ Texas last week), as well as Top 20 recruits Caitlin Tycz & Erin Earley.
[/COLOR]

6. Lauren Pitzer – Lakeside Aquatic Club – Fossil Ridge High School – Haltom City, TX
Best Times: 50 free – 22.66, 100 free – 48.72, 200 free – 1:45.68, 500 free – 4:42.80, 100 fly – 55.01, 400 IM – 4:16.77

Pitzer is our highest-ranked swimmer without a time that would have scored at last year’s NCAAs, but she earns this rank for her potential across all of the freestyle distances. Pitzer has range for days – she’s ideally situated right in the NCAA’s relay sweet spot, with times just a few tenths off of NCAA scoring in the 50, 100 and 200 frees. In a class marked by 50/100 specialists and 200/500 specialists, Pitzer can do it all from a single roster spot. Her fly and IM times are just bonus from there.

14. Caitlin Tycz – Long Reach Swim Club – Brunswick High School – Brunswick, ME
Best Times: 100 fly – 52.43, 200 fly – 1:58.00

The class’s best sprint flyer, but doesn’t do too much else at the moment. This is the sleeper pick of the class, though: she’s just starting to put it together, with a brilliant improvement curve since 2014 (54.3 to 52.4 in the 100 fly and 2:04.6 to 1:58.0 in the 200)

[COLOR="#006699"]
The [U]Gators[/U], who btw have traditionally been a bit of a mecca for GB swimmers, did have swim recruits visit Gainesville this weekend - but I didn't spot anyone obvious from our list of candidates, from a glance at photos posted @ Ben Hill Griffin Stadium...

If you just happen to have more patience & time than I have to see for yourself - and a marked tolerance for the colour orange haha - feel welcome to scan thru the pics here: (Maxime Rooney's post is rather prominent )

[INDENT] https://www.instagram.com/explore/locations/217614264/[/INDENT]

A few things to look out for: recruits tend to post photos/selfies from the sidelines at field level, sporting that particular school's jersey/uniform & colours, wear some sort of "VIP" Guest/Visitor laminate, and invariably making whatever ridiculous hand gesture/sign that the college's known for lol
[/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

15. Alexis Margett Brea Aquatics Glendora High School Glendora, CA
Best Times: 100 fly 52.59, 200 fly 1:57.74, 200 IM 1:59.78

Another great sprint flyer with two other good events. Relay value is undeniable, and her IM is on a fast rise lately.

Alexis Margett (#3 CA, #23 Nat), with 2017 recruit Michael Strycker

tedbear
Ugh, hate to be a downer, but I'm not getting a good feeling about this recruiting cycle.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
tedbear;842726623 said:

Ugh, hate to be a downer, but I'm not getting a good feeling about this recruiting cycle.

[COLOR="#006699"]Think I understand where you're coming from, tedbear... but hey, cheer up m8, things aren't quite that depressing, we haven't even hosted our recruits yet lol :cheer ... perhaps we've just strayed a tad in focussing on all the lil details & stats, possibly to the detriment of the overall picture? Natural to always want to pick the best performing athletes, or the ones showing the most potential, for a programme famed for its rich & illustrious history of winning or almost winning it all, with the attendant sky-high expectations.

However, as you all are well aware of, there are so many other factors in play, ones equally important or even more so than just the recruit's pure ability & performance in the pool - such as the student-athlete's academics, always of paramount importance for the #1 public school in the nation/globally ... the available scholly budget, juggled with a consideration of the areas in which the prospective candidate could make the bigger impact/difference or better fulfill the team's varied needs ... the interest on both sides, and how each one can contribute to the other ... that certain "X factor" in terms of the mutual fit, is this a good match ... the chemistry between the recruit and her or his coaches/teammates/classmates/school. Yada yada... :p

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Still recall our collective disappointment when on the face of it the recruiting class of 2016 didn't quite turn out as planned - our "dream listers" either failing to materialise as a baby :bear: ... or horrors, whimsically electing to go over to the dark side as a furdette :bawl:

But I'm developing a pretty good feeling about our freshies at this very early stage of the new season ... team-bonding seems to be coming along well. Maybe I tend to veer too far to seeing the brighter side of things lol, but it never fails to give me a spot of the warm fuzzies when our students show their appreciation & support of each other in their close camaraderie! (this also applies to other teams or even rivals, traitorous as that may seem to admit haha)

And if you fall into the school of thought that ranks athletic performance above all - well, SwimSwam has already ranked our freshman class, you know, those 2016 recruits whom some of us may have been slightly lukewarm over (thanks to the unrealistic expectations following the Dream Class of 2015!), as the [U]2nd best one in the country[/U], so there!

To quote BearDevil if I may, [COLOR="#696969"]"Good students and teammates are always welcome."[/COLOR] Actually, more than welcome! Know this is a wee bit of an exaggerated/extreme example lol, but reckon a majority of us here would more readily embrace funding a Cal student-athlete who subscribes to our enthusiasm & love of the school :beer:, irrespective of their results in the pool (as long as they are giving it their all), than funnel all the scholarship budget to lure an elite hired gun who can't contribute to, or really isn't interested in, anything outside of the swimming.
[/COLOR]
:gobears:
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842723488 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]The following is pure speculation of course ... Other [U]Top 20[/U] recruits that we haven't discussed as much as of late:
[INDENT]
Victoria Edwards -> Horns?
[/INDENT]
[/COLOR]

Victoria Edwards [COLOR="#808080"](#2 TX, #7 Nat)[/COLOR]: Cheesin' cause I'm a longhorn!! So excited to say that I have committed to swim at the University of Texas! Hook 'em ������

Evie Pfeifer [COLOR="#808080"](#1 MO, #29 Nat)[/COLOR] [COLOR="#006699"]followed suit a day later[/COLOR].

OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842726498 said:

[COLOR="#006699"]

[COLOR="#006699"]
Note to OBear: looks like Ashley's wearing a boot cos of a fracture...
[/COLOR]

Marta & Ashley

------

Where's Ashley boot? I'm a foot & boot person!!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
-----

[COLOR="#003366"][SIZE=5]Swimming's Rising Stars Named to 2016-17 National Junior Team[/SIZE][/COLOR]

USA Swimming today announced the 65 members of the [U]2016-17 USA Swimming National Junior Team[/U], honoring many of the nation's top 18-and-under swimmers for their performances in 2016. National Junior Team members must be age 18 or under on Sept. 1, 2016.

Five swimmers earned National Junior Team status in a team-high three events: Margaret Aroesty (Long Beach, N.Y./Long Island Aquatic Club), Mallory Comerford (Kalamazoo, Mich./University of Louisville), Cameron Craig (Monroe, Mich./Club Wolverine), Isabel Ivey (Gainesville, Fla./Gator Swim Club) and Maxime Rooney (Livermore, Calif./Pleasanton Seahawks).

2016-17 National Junior Team by the Numbers:
65 swimmers named to the National Junior Team
27 states represented; Florida tops the list with seven selections
50-plus USA Swimming clubs represented, including seven clubs with multiple honorees

The complete National Junior Team roster can be found online here:

ROSTER (Women): http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/a7cfebea-e296-4f68-99ca-da044a6ed6ff/2016-2017%20Womens%20National%20Junior%20Team.pdf

ROSTER (Men): http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/cfe9a36e-f27e-4b91-b6f5-1500a735e466/2016-2017%20Mens%20National%20Junior%20Team.pdf

ROSTER (Media Version): http://www.usaswimming.org/_Rainbow/Documents/287211ae-350b-43a1-866e-468860db15c5/2016-17%20National%20Junior%20Team%20Media%20Roster.pdf

[INDENT]http://www.usaswimming.org/ViewNewsArticle.aspx?TabId=0&itemid=15995&mid=14491[/INDENT]

-----
[COLOR="#006699"]Cal swimmers/commits on the list: Chenoa Devine & Ryan Hoffer :gobears:
[/COLOR]
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan;842727553 said:

Where's Ashley boot? I'm a foot & boot person!!

OBear073akaSMFan
UrsusArctosCalifornicus;842727621 said:

Nice! I am assuming it is a Bear claw
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
[SIZE=4]
:cry: :bawl: :cry:
[/SIZE]
-------

[COLOR="#000066"][SIZE=5]USC Snags Verbal Commitment from #3 Maggie Aroesty of LIAC for 2017-18[/SIZE][/COLOR]

https://swimswam.com/usc-snags-verbal-commitment-3-maggie-aroesty-liac-2017-18/

-------

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.