2020 Women's Swimming Recruiting

139,201 Views | 282 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Schroeder71
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Wow-thank you for the race link! Isabelle Stadden upsets the favorite with her PR under one minute in the 100 back. The back stroke has been Cal's best and it appears that Stadden has a chance to carry that legacy forward.
GO BEARS!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Schroeder71 said:

The back stroke has been Cal's best and it appears that Stadden has a chance to carry that legacy forward.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Also the 4th fastest ever swim in the 15 to 16 age group - only ones who have been faster = Regan Smith - 58.83 (2018 Nationals), Phoebe Bacon - 59.12 (2018 Nationals) & Missy Franklin - 59.18 (2011 Nationals)!

Backstroke U! Let's not forget Bootsie entirely either haha in this conversation, as Rachel now sits @ #5 in this NAG ranking (see Swimswam article below).

So, 3 Bears in the Top 5 (Missy, Isabelle, Boots), with 2 hailing from Minnesota.

Would be ever so brilliant if Regan was to commit to the blue & gold - just to make it 4 out of 5, with 3 from MN haha...alas, common consensus has the 2020 phenom pegged for a future Furdette...

---------

ISABELLE STADDEN BECOMES 6TH AMERICAN WOMAN UNDER 1:00 IN 100 BACK BY 16

Top 5 All-Time, American 15-16 Girls, 100 LCM Backstroke
[ol]
  • Regan Smith, 2018 58.83
  • Phoebe Bacon, 2018 59.12
  • Missy Franklin, 2011 59.18
  • Isabelle Stadden, 2019 59.71
  • Rachel Bootsma, 2009 59.77
  • [/ol]She also moves up to 17th-place all-time among American women in the event at any age.

---------

REGAN SMITH BLASTS 100 BACK WORLD JUNIOR RECORD IN COUNSILMAN PRELIMS 58.55

With Saturday's swim, Smith becomes the No. 9 performer in world history, tied with Canada's Taylor Ruck. She's the No. 3 American behind only Franklin and current world record holder Kathleen Baker(58.00).

---------
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

This just in...

---------

Isabelle Stadden Sweeps Backstrokes with 200 Win at TYR Pro Series Clovis

Women's 200 Backstroke

16-year-old Isabelle Stadden posted a strong win in the 200 back, coming in right on her lifetime best at 2:08.67. The swim is a best for this year for Stadden, and bumps her up to tenth in the world so far this year. She is the fourth-best American.

---------

tedbear
    Looks like Tea Laughlin is a Bear!
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Ideally rounded out by academically-inclined prospects who project to be a good fit with the team... + top in-states such as but not limited to Samantha Pearson, Nicole Oliva, Tea Laughlin
    tedbear said:

Been away a bit and will be for a mite longer...so cheers for the good news, tedbear!

Whilst still unofficial (AFAIK), here are Tea's stats & 2020 recruit ranking by CollegeSwimming's metrics (actually there's an accent on the "e", but board formatting doesn't permit it to be recognised or displayed):

Tea Laughlin (#46 Nat, #4 CA)

BearDevil
    Welcome, Tea!

Interesting get: same club and high school as Ali Harrison. Tea's sister swam at Davis. Teagan Monroe is another intriguing 2020 recruit from the same club. Promising flyer with a 3.9 GPA. She's committed to swim for Dave Marsh at UCSD.

Makes you appreciate how narrow the window is for student athletes who can contribute and thrive for Teri's Bears.
    bearz012

Ideally rounded out by academically-inclined prospects who project to be a good fit with the team... + top in-states such as but not limited to Samantha Pearson, Nicole Oliva, Tea Laughlin
    tedbear said:

Been away a bit and will be for a mite longer...so cheers for the good news, tedbear!

Whilst still unofficial (AFAIK), here are Tea's stats & 2020 recruit ranking by CollegeSwimming's metrics (actually there's an accent on the "e", but board formatting doesn't permit it to be recognised or displayed):

Tea Laughlin (#46 Nat, #4 CA)

Tea: "I am incredibly excited to announce my verbal commitment to UC Berkeley to further pursue my athletic and academic career. Thank you to my family, friends, and coaches who have helped me along the way. Can't wait to be a golden bear! #Gobears"

Welcome to the Bear Family!!
    swimmer19
    tedbear said:

52.5 BACKSTROKER TEA LAUGHLIN VERBALLY COMMITS TO CAL (CLASS OF 2020)

Ventura High school junior Tea Laughlin has verbally committed to join the Cal women in the fall of 2020.

Quote:

"I am incredibly excited to announce my verbal commitment to UC Berkeley to further pursue my athletic and academic career. Thank you to my family, friends, and coaches who have helped me along the way. Can't wait to be a golden bear! #Gobears"

She is primarily a backstroker, and will be the latest in the long Cal backstroke legacy that includes names like Natalie Coughlin, Missy Franklin, Rachel Bootsma, Kathleen Baker, and the 2019 NCAA runner-up in the 100 yard back Amy Bilquist. Laughlin finished 4th at the 2018 Winter Junior Championships West in both the 100 and 200 yard backstrokes. She was also the CIF Division 3 Section Champion in the 100 yard back and the runner-up in the 200 IM. Her long course best of 1:02.49 in the 100 back is also two-tenths under the Olympic Trials standard, though she hasn't repeated the time since the qualifying period opened late last year.

Best Times in Yards:
    • 50 free 23.79
    • 100 free 51.06
    • 200 free 1:52.09
    • 100 back 52.58
    • 200 back 1:56.38
    • 100 fly 54.97
    • 200 IM 2:00.23
    Laughlin is one of the best 100 yard backstrokers in the class, and already has an NCAA qualifying time in that event (her best would have finished 31st at NCAAs last year). She's part of a class of 2020 that is loaded in the backstrokes, and arguably the best backstroking class in history. That class includes names like Regan Smith, Alex Walsh, Isabelle Stadden, and Phoebe Bacon 4 of the top 5 recruits in the class are primarily backstrokers. The other swimmer in that top 5, Olivia Bray, has been 52.0, but she's a better butterflier. Stadden is also verbally committed to Cal. Laughlin trains with the Buenaventura Swim Club. Buenaventura and Ventura High School alum Ali Harrison is currently a sophomore at Cal.

------------------

Cal Golden Bears Pick Up In-State Verbal from Junior National Finalist Tea Laughlin

NEW COMMIT: The University of California, Berkeley has received an in-state verbal commitment for the 2020-21 season and beyond from Ventura, Calif. native Tea Laughlin. She will become the second collegiate swimmer in her family: her older sister, Solie Laughlin, recently graduated from UC Davis where she was a multi-time MPSF conference champion.

Primarily a backstroker, Laughlin swims year-round with Buenaventura Swim Club and owns a pair of Summer National standards with three additional Winter Juniors cuts. She achieved six best times at Juniors West in December where she finished fourth in both the 100 back and 200 back. Last summer, she finaled in the 50m back at Phillips 66 Nationals before going on to place sixth in the 100m back and 12th in the 200m back at Junior Nationals.

A rising senior at Ventura High School, Laughlin has earned both NISCA and USA Swimming Scholastic All-American honors. As a junior, she won the 100 back and was the 200 IM runner-up at the CIF-Southern DIII Championships and earned gold in the former at the DI meet during her sophomore season. She also won the 100 back at the CIF State Championships as a rookie.

When she suits up for the Bears as a member of the class of 2024, Laughlin will make an immediate impact and will join a long legacy of backstroke talent. Even with over a year to go before arriving in Berkeley, she would've scored in the A-final of the 100 back as well as the B-final of the 200 back at the 2019 Pac-12 Championships.
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    bearz012 said:

Which 2020 Recruits are Visiting Which Schools? (rankings based on NCAA finish)

#1 Stanford:
    #1 Regan Smith, #2 Alex Walsh, #7 Emma Sticklen, #18 Lillie Nordmann, Emma Weyant (#13), Lola Mull (#22), Isabel Gormley (#27), Samantha Pearson (#35), Janelle Rudolph (#47)

Last Updated: 6/10/19

Of significance is that every single one of the aforementioned Stanford visitors who are presently still uncommitted have earned a place on Swimswam's re-rank of the Top 20 (either as a new entrant or as a placement upgrade):

6. Lillie Nordmann (Previous Rank: #18) Magnolia Aquatic Club The Woodlands High School The Woodlands, TX

#6 Lillie Nordmann (CS Ranking as of verbal: #11 Nat, #1 TX) -> LSJU

• UPDATE -> now reported by SwimSwam:
    #6 LILLIE NORDMANN VERBALLY COMMITS TO JOIN SISTER AT STANFORD IN 2020
    OBear073akaSMFan
    Disappointing but not surprising.
    swimmer19
    bearz012 said:

Thought I'd compile a list of visits from each recruit in SS's top 20 plus some others...

All visits by top 2020 recruits (official & unofficial, ? = unsure of visit):
    #1 Regan Smith {MN}: LSJU, Louisville

Last Updated: 6/30/19
    #1 Regan Smith -> LSJU

UPDATE: TOP SWIMMING RECRUIT IN CLASS OF 2020 REGAN SMITH MAKES COLLEGE DECISION
    blungld
    swimmer19 said:

#1 Regan Smith -> LSJU

UPDATE: TOP SWIMMING RECRUIT IN CLASS OF 2020 REGAN SMITH MAKES COLLEGE DECISION
    I do not follow swimming recruiting closely enough to evaluate, but how big of a disappointment/surprise is it that Cal missed on both Smith and Bacon? How is our class--it appears to have only one highly rated recruit? Should we expect Cal to drop off like Women's Basketball...and the PAC 12 did not seem to dominate in recruiting the way it has in the past, is the conference as a whole slipping?

Seems like SEC and other conferences will soon own football, basketball, AND the olympic sports too. Not good.
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

My off the cuff personal opinion, FWIW...the real experts on the board will no doubt chime in with a more insightful and better thought-out analysis... :p

IMO, basically no need to panic (quite yet) lol. Recruiting successes tend to come & go in cycles & waves. Even the best programmes will eventually hit a bit of a barrier now & then, and are then seen as lamentably "underperforming" by their fan base.

LSJU was knocking on the door for quite some time as bridesmaids before Neal/Manuel/Ledecky ushered in their red hot age of utter scoring depth & domination, going on to easily top the recruting class ranks by a wide margin for 3 straight seasons.

But even the mighty Furdette Juggernaut had encountered a stumble or two - our plucky underdog Bears almost pulled off the upset @ 2019 NCAAs in spite of the Trees' uber 2018 recruiting class headlined by #1 Ruck, and I have a feeling Greg Meehan's incoming freshies may not make SwimSwam's Top 3 when their 2019 recruiting class by school rankings is finally published.

However the Furd seems to be bouncing back with a vengeance courtesy of their 2020 haul of #1 Regan Smith & #6 Lillie Nordmann, with even more top talent announcements to come down there on the Farm.

Yes Cal has been perceived as "slipping" the past few cycles, when compared to the Golden era of Bootsie/Lizzie, Missy, and then the Dream Team (Thleen/Dubs/Bug/Billy). Yet a significant number of our unheralded recruits have unassumingly shown some impressive upside development since training & racing in the blue & gold - Farida, Robin, Sarah, Ema, Madds, Ali, Alicia...to name but a few.

All too easy for us armchair observers on the outside to naturally wish for or even expect all the "big name stars" to come to Berkeley...after all, what's not to like haha.

However reckon that athletic prowess in the pool & swim stats, on their own, don't really convey the whole picture of what truly constitutes a desirable recruit - mutual fit & a heartfelt interest in the programme & school culture, how well one meshes with the team & coaches, academics, how much the recruit buys into Teri's vision & style (which frankly may not be everyone's cuppa tea), etc...these all play an equally essential role.

Don't believe Cal was ever really on #5 Phoebe's radar, as her known official visits = Michigan, Texas, Virginia, Georgia...and Wisconsin where Bacon ended up committing to (Yuri as Head Coach may have something to do with that decision, I'd like to imagine ).

Whilst #1 Regan has been rumoured to be quite favourably disposed towards Bears and good friends with several of the team (Izzy, Isa etc), her verbal had pointedly alluded to LSJU as having always been her dream school since age 10, so who can argue with that?!

I personally believe that we'll see something special from 2020 Baby Bear #4 Stadden going forward (even greater than what she has accomplished in her young career to this point) - Isabelle's sprint strokes, which had previously appeared to be a step or two behind her middle distance strengths, has shown massive improvements as of late, esp her 100 Back

That's not to ignore or trivialise the rapid ascent of some of the fast rising programmes out East, such as the ACC - notably UVa (headlined by #1 Kate Douglass in 2019 + #2 Alex Walsh in 2020), and their arch-rival NC State (#3 Katharine Berkoff in 2019)...

Believe Bears will continue their record streak of Top 3 finishes for a while yet...fingers crossed Although absolutely agree we can't ever afford to become too complacent and rest on past laurels. The NCAA recruiting scenery & rules have undergone some radical transformations recently, resulting in a shift in favour of several programmes who have aggressively adapted and leveraged this change in the recruiting landscape to their schools' considerable advantage...
    blungld
    Really great summary. Thanks.
    longseeker
    Great post UAC... but what gets me is that Stanford has such depth of top tier swimmers whereas Cal's recruits have to make more improvements to compete with them---which Cal certainly did in the 2018 NCAA Championships. Not sure what the final points would have been had Baker stayed for her last year. Yet I am so proud of all our team members!
    cmfan64
    Like Wilson, in coming frosh, Ayla Spitz is becoming a superstar with the fastest HS sprint times in the country. Swim Swam moved her up to 9th before her latest record times.
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    longseeker said:

what gets me is that Stanford has such depth of top tier swimmers whereas Cal's recruits have to make more improvements to compete with them---which Cal certainly did in the 2018 NCAA Championships. Not sure what the final points would have been had Baker stayed for her last year. Yet I am so proud of all our team members!

Ah I hear you and truly feel your pain...sentiments which are surely shared by quite a number of schools who are consistently jockeying for Top 10 nationally, but can't leverage their school name to quite the same degree, or offer as many full rides (thru endowments & needs based schollys as an alternative to the athletic ones), as a Stanford.

That's not to take away the massive accomplishments of LSJU Women's coaches Greg Meehan & Tracy Slusser - after all their Men's programme hasn't enjoyed a comparable degree of success, in spite of hauling in top recruits year after year.

SwimSwam said:

...re LSJU's recruits:

2016 class: "Our unquestioned number one. Five top 20 recruits, including Katie Ledecky, who needs no introduction."

2017 class: "Rarely do we see something like four top 10 and five top 20 recruits committing to the same school quite like we've seen it happen with the Stanford women. Welcome to Greg Meehan's dynasty."

2018 class: "It's difficult to see a future where Stanford is NOT winning national titles through this class's senior collegiate seasons."

Stanford
    2016 Recruits Class = #1 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 1st
    2017 Recruits Class = #1 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 1st
    2018 Recruits Class = #1 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 1st (456.5 pts)

Cal
    2016 Recruits Class = #2 -> 2017 NCAA finish = 2nd
    2017 Recruits Class = #5 -> 2018 NCAA finish = 2nd
    2018 Recruits Class = #9 -> 2019 NCAA finish = 2nd (419 pts)

Ironically, I wouldn't be at all surprised if more than a few Division I programmes are, er, less than thrilled that the Bay Area arch rivals have exerted such a consistent stranglehold on the Top 3 NCAA finishes in the past decade or so...

As for the understandable hand wringing over Thleen's "surprise" foregoing of her final year of eligibility having potentially cost Cal the national title, it's hard to really say one way or the other, imo. For one, I don't believe Teri would have asked Izzy to come a semester early to help out - Baker's full scholarship slot wouldn't have been freed up for one...

Thleen would probably have scored more than an over-achieving Izzy in the 200 IM & 100 Back + in her 200 Back v. Iz's 100 Fly, and could have contributed faster splits in the relays...

But could Lil Bean have realistically scored 75 pts incl. the difference in relay pts, seeing that Bears were already the champions in 3 relays, and runner-ups in the remaining 2 relays, 3 of which Ivey had swum in? (Izzy's had helped w/37 individual pts, and LSJU's margin of victory = 37.5 pts).

Perhaps more relay records and faster overall relay times, by virtue of Thleen's potentially swifter relay legs...(my head's already spinning all wobbily from trying to grasp all the maths involved in these very hypothetical scenarios lol)

Anyway still very impressed & continue to be proud of all of our Golden Bears!

Sort of off-topic, but this demonstrates that Bears can, gasp, co-exist with Trees - well, as long as they are all repping Team USA...

https://instagr.am/p/BzwVTuGhEHF
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

bearz012 said:

Which 2020 Recruits are Visiting Which Schools? (rankings based on NCAA finish)

#1 Stanford: #1 Regan Smith *commit*, #2 Alex Walsh, #7 Emma Sticklen, #18 Lillie Nordmann *commit*, Emma Weyant (#13), Lola Mull (#22), Isabel Gormley (#27), Samantha Pearson (#35), Janelle Rudolph (#47)

#2 Cal: #2 Alex Walsh, #3 Isabelle Stadden *commit*, #19 Anicka Delgado, Isabel Gormley (#27), Nicole Oliva (#37) *commit*, Liza Whitmire (#59), Gracie Felner (#61) *commit*, Sophie Housey (#67), Olivia Livingston (#76), Nathalie Valdman (#285)

#9 Virginia: #2 Alex Walsh *commit*, #4 Olivia Bray, #6 Phoebe Bacon, #9 Maxine Parker, #12 Tristen Ulett, #17 Anna Keating *commit*, #18 Lillie Nordmann, #20 Abby Harter *commit*, Emma Weyant (#13) *commit*, Isabel Gormley (#27) Samantha Pearson (#31), Colby Hurt (#46), Andrea Santander (#76)

Last Updated: 6/30/19

Most importantly, that Isabel has selected Cal, LSJU & UVA for her visits surely attests to her academics?

On a sobering note, before we begin to invest a lot of hope for a Cal verbal from Isabel Gormley in these early stages, bearz012 did point to this article from Swimming World where Gormley's admiration for the universally well-liked Lia Neal (ex-furdette Olympian who was instrumental in luring Manual & Ledecky over to the Dark Side) could turn out to be a major influence on her collegiate decision...

Olympic Aspirations Flourish on Manhattan's Upper East Side

Photo Courtesy: Poby/Asphalt Green

#HM Isabel Gormley (CS Ranking as of verbal: #19 Nat, #1 NY) -> LSJU

------
    • UPDATE ->
    TOP 20 HONORABLE MENTION ISABEL GORMLEY OF AGUA VERBALS TO STANFORD FOR 2020

------
    bearz012

bearz012 said:

#1 Stanford: #1 Regan Smith *commit*, #2 Alex Walsh, #7 Emma Sticklen, #18 Lillie Nordmann *commit*, Emma Weyant (#13), Lola Mull (#22), Isabel Gormley (#27) *commit*, Samantha Pearson (#35), Janelle Rudolph (#47) *commit*
    Janelle: I am overjoyed to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at Stanford University! I can't express enough my profound appreciation and gratitude that I have for my family, coaches, teachers and friends for their incredible support throughout the years. GO CARD!! #fearthetree

CS Ranking as of verbal: #28 Nat, #1 WA // SwimSwam's #19
    OBear073akaSMFan
    bearz012 said:

bearz012 said:

#1 Stanford: #1 Regan Smith *commit*, #2 Alex Walsh, #7 Emma Sticklen, #18 Lillie Nordmann *commit*, Emma Weyant (#13), Lola Mull (#22), Isabel Gormley (#27) *commit*, Samantha Pearson (#35), Janelle Rudolph (#47) *commit*
    Janelle: I am overjoyed to announce my verbal commitment to swim and study at Stanford University! I can't express enough my profound appreciation and gratitude that I have for my family, coaches, teachers and friends for their incredible support throughout the years. GO CARD!! #fearthetree

CS Ranking as of verbal: #28 Nat, #1 WA // SwimSwam's #19

Unfortunately I think lots of these high ranking swimmers that haven't committed are waiting for acceptance into Furdville.
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

A warm welcome & congrats goes out to our Bears' 4th commit for the class of 2020!
    Mara hails from the Sierra Marlins up in Folsom - same club as Chloe Clark + Bryce & Colby Mefford...

...more info forthcoming once SS or SW has published their writeups

Well, better late than never... lol

---------

CAL PICKS UP VERBAL COMMITMENT FROM 2020 SPRINTER MARA ALLEN

---------
    • UPDATE ->
    Quickly-Improving Sprint Freestyler Mara Allen of Sierra Marlins Verbally Commits to Cal

---------
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Sophia Wilson (GBR - Alicia's sis) -> UVa

https://instagr.am/p/B164B9bpOVT
    CS Ranking as of verbal: #129 Nat

--------

Congrats to Sophia!

Virginia w/good academics, a fast rising swim programme that projects to be a national team title contender sooner than later. Have already earned Swimswam's #1 ranking for their 2019 recruiting class, with an even more potent 2020 class to follow.

Gratuitous note: Now to balance things out, reckon 2020 Hoos super commit Alex Walsh, who had visited Cal, should encourage sibling Gretchen (2021) to pledge to the blue & gold in return...

--------
    • UPDATE =>
    BRITISH SUMMER CHAMPIONSHIPS BRONZE MEDALIST SOPHIA WILSON SENDS VERBAL TO UVA

Sophia Wilson from Guildford, England, has announced her verbal commitment to the class of 2024 at the University of Virginia. This loaded class already includes verbal commits Abby Harter, Alex Walsh, Anna Keating, and Emma Weyant, all of whom are ranked among SwimSwam's top 20 recruits from the high school class of 2020.

Wilson swims for the club team at Millfield School in the southwest of England in the county of Somerset. She has represented Great Britain as a member of the British Junior Team at various international meets in Italy, France, Canada, Netherlands, and the United States.

Wilson's sister Alicia Wilson swims for Cal. She won the 200 IM for Great Britain, beating Ella Eastin 2:11.35 to 2:12.24, at this summer's World University Games in Napoli.

--------
    OBear073akaSMFan

Sophia Wilson (GBR - Alicia's sis) -> UVa

https://instagr.am/p/B164B9bpOVT
    CS Ranking as of verbal: #129 Nat

--------

Congrats to Sophia!

Virginia w/good academics, a fast rising swim programme that projects to be a national team title contender sooner than later. Have already earned Swimswam's #1 ranking for their 2019 recruiting class, with an even more potent 2020 class to follow.

Gratuitous note: Now to balance things out, reckon 2020 Hoos super commit Alex Walsh, who had visited Cal, should encourage sibling Gretchen (2021) to pledge to the blue & gold in return...

Woulda thought the weather in Berkeley would be more fitting for a person from England. Can't believe UVA have much money to offer Sophia. Their 2019 & 2020 class are stacked!
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

2019 Froski Ashlyn Fiorilli + 2020 Baby Bears Mara Allen, Gracie Felner, Tea Laughlin & Nicole Oliva selected to the 2018-2019 High School Scholastic All-America Team (3.5 GPA minimum, 2018 Winter Junior time standards qualification).

Well done!

--------
    • UPDATE =>
    USA Swimming Names Scholastic All America Team

--------
    bearz012

https://instagr.am/p/B3DobegHo5-
    https://instagr.am/p/B3BHQ_4JYHv

Mara Allen, Tea Laughlin, Isabelle Stadden, Gracie Felner, Bailey Herbert (uncommitted)

Looks like our Baby Bears visited yesterday (Isa in the background, and Mara, Nicole, Gracie and Tea spotted in other IG stories), though no 2021 recruits AFAIK.

Interestingly enough, Danish swimmer Emily Gantriis had also visited last week, though I'm not quite sure what class she'd be considered to be (born in 1999, but listed as a 2020 prospect on CS). Also visited UVA & NCSU, as well as some other schools.

Gantriis' best events are the sprint freestyles, and she's split a 55 on the prelims relay for Denmark in the 400 FR at the 2018 European Championships.

Best Times (SCM / LCM / SCY Conversion based on SCM / SCY Conversion based on LCM):
    50 free: 25.01 / 25.49 / 22.53 / 22.24
    100 free: 54.12 / 55.90 / 48.75 / 48.91
    200 free: 2:00.01 / 2:02.78 / 1:48.11 / 1:47.72
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Not that Meehan's Furdette Machine will be giving much ground to the "upstart" challenger anytime soon...

Based on the as yet uncommitted top talent who have taken trips to the Farm - #1 Regan Smith, #9 Emma Weyant, #10 Lillie Nordmann, #14 Isabel Gormley, #24 Janelle Rudolph & #34 Samantha Pearson (national rankings according to College Swimming) - LSJU would easily lay a legit claim to the #2 spot (if not the top) for this uber recruiting class - if the Trees can secure a majority of those 6 listed top prospects, starting with Regan!

There's some speculation that Pearson may be Ivies bound though, based upon her parents' legacies...
    bearz012 said:

Looks like #1 Gretchen Walsh, #2 Torri Huske, #5 Ashley Strouse, and HM Meghan Lynch visited LSJU today with the 2020 commits......

https://instagr.am/p/B3AJahjHwwV

Regan Smith, #5 Ashley Strouse, #1 Gretchen Walsh, #2 Torri Huske

The 2020 Sapling commits contingent over the weekend did number #34 Samantha Pearson amongst them (2nd photo in Regan's IG post below):

https://instagr.am/p/B3AJahjHwwV
    This being Pearson's follow-up visit might well imply that SP is more likely to be bound for the Farm than to an Ivy?

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    bearz012 said:

Well, an international recruit did visit Cal at the tail end of her whirlwind tour of several top end American unis (UVa, NCSU, UM?, Cal), hanging out with our Golden Bears prior to their trip down to SLO for Queen of the Pool...

Interestingly enough, Danish swimmer Emily Gantriis had also visited last week, though I'm not quite sure what class she'd be considered to be (born in 1999, but listed as a 2020 prospect on CS). Also visited UVA & NCSU, as well as some other schools.

Gantriis' best events are the sprint freestyles, and she's split a 55 on the prelims relay for Denmark in the 400 FR at the 2018 European Championships.

Best Times (SCM / LCM / SCY Conversion based on SCM / SCY Conversion based on LCM):

Does look as if McKeever isn't completely done with the recruiting class of 2020 quite yet then?

For one, Danish prospect Emily Gantriis appears to be presently in play, though being pursued by a number of other programmes (see quoted discussion above)...

In the spirit of Teri's tradition of "late/surprise" international gets (Marina, Farida, Nono, Robin, Sarah, Alicia, Eloise etc), was thinking that Canadian Jr National Teamer Bailey Hebert (#21 Nat, #2 BC) may be another good fit with our Bears, if there was mutual interest??

Here are some roughly converted times of Bailey's using the Swimulator Real-Time Converter:
    • 100 Breast: 1:09.11 (LCM) -> 59.99 (SCY)
    • 200 Breast: 2:28.67 (LCM) -> 2:09.98 (SCY)
    • 200 IM: 2:16.06 (LCM) -> 1:58.95 (SCY)
    • 400 IM: 4:50.97 (LCM) -> 4:16.70 (SCY)
    • 200 Free: 2:05.74 (LCM) -> 1:56.03 (SCY)
    • 100 Free: 58.05 (LCM) -> 51.47 (SCY)
    • 50 Free: 27.25 (LCM) -> 23.99 (SCY)
    • 100 Fly: 1:03.21 (LCM) -> 55.98 (SCY)
    • 100 Back: 1:08.74 (SCM) -> 1:02.74 (SCY)
    • 200 Back: 2:23.40 (LCM) -> 2:05.75 (SCY)
    Would add some breast depth to the team, and complement the backstroke & mid free focussed group of 2020 Baby Bears (altho Gracie Felner (#42 Nat, #2 WA) does have a more than solid 1:01.19 in the 100 Breast to her credit).

Solid IM times too esp in the shorter race, possibly held back a mite by Herbert's backstroke - which would surely be addressed if she was to train @ Backstroke U (BH's fly is quite serviceable).

Not a given of course that adapting to short course yards swimming would be a smooth & painless transition lol, but Bailey also has intriguing 200 Free potential to boot, judging by her converted time of 1:56.03 there.
    bearz012

In the spirit of Teri's tradition of "late/surprise" international gets (Marina, Farida, Nono, Robin, Sarah, Alicia, Eloise etc), was thinking that Canadian Jr National Teamer Bailey Hebert (#21 Nat, #2 BC) may be another good fit with our Bears, if there was mutual interest??

Here are some roughly converted times of Bailey's using the Swimulator Real-Time Converter:
    • 100 Breast: 1:09.11 (LCM) -> 59.99 (SCY)
    • 200 Breast: 2:28.67 (LCM) -> 2:09.98 (SCY)
    • 200 IM: 2:16.06 (LCM) -> 1:58.95 (SCY)
    • 400 IM: 4:50.97 (LCM) -> 4:16.70 (SCY)
    • 200 Free: 2:05.74 (LCM) -> 1:56.03 (SCY)
    • 100 Free: 58.05 (LCM) -> 51.47 (SCY)
    • 50 Free: 27.25 (LCM) -> 23.99 (SCY)
    • 100 Fly: 1:03.21 (LCM) -> 55.98 (SCY)
    • 100 Back: 1:08.74 (SCM) -> 1:02.74 (SCY)
    • 200 Back: 2:23.40 (LCM) -> 2:05.75 (SCY)
    Would add some breast depth to the team, and complement the backstroke & mid free focussed group of 2020 Baby Bears (altho Gracie Felner (#42 Nat, #2 WA) does have a more than solid 1:01.19 in the 100 Breast to her credit).

Solid IM times too esp in the shorter race, possibly held back a mite by Herbert's backstroke - which would surely be addressed if she was to train @ Backstroke U (BH's fly is quite serviceable).

Not a given of course that adapting to short course yards swimming would be a smooth & painless transition lol, but Bailey also has intriguing 200 Free potential to boot, judging by her converted time of 1:56.03 there.

Confirmed to have visited

Mara Allen, Tea Laughlin, Isabelle Stadden, Gracie Felner, Bailey Herbert (uncommitted)
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    bearz012 said:

Just a wee update on Emily Gantriis's times, since College Swimming's database isn't always up to date esp when it comes to internationals!

Long & Short Course Metre Times below were taken from the Danish Swimming Federation database:

Event::::: LCM best time (date) / SCM best time (date) // SCY - Swimulator conversion from LCM {from SCM}

50 Free:: 25.49 (Apr 14, 2019) / 24.77 (Dec 15, 2017) // 22.10 {22.40}

100 Free: 55.61 (Apr 5, 2019) / 54.12 (Dec 14, 2017) // 48.30 {48.88}

200 Free: 2:01:38 (Apr 8, 2019) / 1:58.70 (Nov 3, 2018) // 1:45.78 {1:47.16}

Assuming Gantriis can make a swift transition to the little pool and come close to or better the above converted yards times (not always a given!), one can see how Emily would be a sought after recruit in her class, stemming partly from the NCAA scoring system which is weighted in favour of sprint free (relays etc).

• EDIT -> UVa, NCSU, UM + several other top flight schools undoubtedly in hard pursuit of Gantriis...tho would reckon head coach DeSorbo may be coming close to his schollys allocation, in light of the Hoos' massive out-of-state gets of a slew of Top 20 recruits for 2019 (#1 class!) & 2020 (likely #1 or #2 class), having already targeted a majority of the Top 10 elites in the class of 2021 to boot...see quoted section below:
    bearz012 said:

Which 2021 Recruits are Visiting Which Schools? (rankings based on NCAA finish)

#2 Cal: Izabella Adame (#76)

#6 Virginia: #1 Gretchen Walsh, #2 Torri Huske, #3 Grace Sheble, #4 Paige McKenna, #5 Ashley Strouse, #7 Annabel Crush, #15 Olivia McMurray, #20 Mariah Denigan, HM Annika McEnroe, Abby Kapeller (#48), Caroline Pennington (#60)

Last Updated: 10/2/19
    BearDevil said:

UVa is definitely cutting into the Bay Area duopoly's recruiting base. It appears Teri is more concerned with building class cohesion than raw talent acquisition. Think that's risky, but it's worked for her so far. She can maintain her top three streak with top five recruiting classes, but she can't fall much further than that level of recruiting. Probably needs consistent top three recruiting classes to compete credibly for titles again. Needs to adjust her recruiting tactics to accomplish that. Do believe in proactive change however.

In the best case scenario - assuming good mutual fits & available funds that won't cut into 2021 offers - where Emily Gantriis (DEN) & Bailey Hebert (CAN) both choose to join 2020 Baby Bears #4 Isabelle Stadden & co. (wishful thinking? ), a credible case can then be presented for our Bears to join the Furdettes (#1 Regan Smith, #6 Lillie Nordmann, #19 Janelle Rudolph, HM Isabel Gormley + possibly HM Samantha Pearson) and the Wahoos (#2 Alex Walsh, #9 Anna Keating, #11 Emma Weyant, #12 Abby Harter) in vying for bragging rights to the Top 3 ranks for the the 2020 recruiting class, imo.

Would also like to imagine that having had Danish National Teamer Anina Lund on Cal's swim team in the 2016-2017 season may have built some sort of a bridge to Gantriis, however tenuous... :p
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus

https://instagr.am/p/B3c466wAND5
    juarezbear

https://instagr.am/p/B3c466wAND5
    Who's the commit?
    Nasal Mucus Goldenbear

'Committed'

as in

'Determined' and 'Resolute'

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    juarezbear said:

Who's the commit?

A beary speculative guess would be Emily Gantriis (DEN), or possibly Bailey Hebert (CAN)? Both had visited the campus recently.

At this moment in time, reckon Gantriis is looking more hopeful for us (and I would venture, the higher priority get due to the weighted value of elite sprint to mid-free talent relative to breaststrokers in the NCAA), seeing that Hebert is still on her rounds of recruiting trips. ...

But could well be another recruit entirely ...maybe even on the diving side??

Reckon we'll just have to wait for an official announcement of some sort...likely once NLIs get signed, starting on *Wed 13 Nov* (signing period will run thru 1 Aug 2020)...

• UPDATES =>
    Bailey Hebert -> UCLA Bruins

Gracie Felner decommitting to go over to Coley @ Alabama??
    https://www.collegeswimming.com/swimmer/416306/
    Swimmingnerd
    Is there a 2021 recruiting thread posted yet?
    UrsusArctosCalifornicus
    Swimmingnerd said:

Is there a 2021 recruiting thread posted yet?

2021 Women's Swimming Recruiting

Which 2021 Recruits are Visiting Which Schools?

2021 CLASSES (Commitments to date)

Early look at 2021 Men's Swimming Recruiting

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.