2018-2019 Season: Women's Swimming

86,233 Views | 343 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HBear
bearz012
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HBear said:

Don't know if anyone else caught this, but in an Instagram story re: the TYR Derby shootout meet yesterday, where Amy made her first post-grad debut, she mentioned in an interview afterward that she'll be moving to Arizona to train through 2020. News to me; didn't realize she would choose not to train with Teri (and the admittedly very small women's pro group -- just Dana?) or even move back to Carmel.
Confirmed here:

AMY BILQUIST MOVING BACK TO ARIZONA TO TRAIN FOR 2020

Cal star Amy Bilquist announced she will be moving back to Arizona to train for the 2020 Olympics following her graduation from Cal. She will be training at Scottsdale Aquatic Club under coaches Kevin Zacher and Rob Platt. Bilquist swam at Scottsdale Aquatic Club during her age group years, then moved to Indiana during high school, where she swam for Carmel Swim Club.

Amy provided this statement about her decision to SwimSwam:
"I'll be training at Scottsdale Aquatic Club under Kevin Zacher and Bob Platt. I'm excited to work with both of these amazing coaches and people again as I continue my pursuit of the 2020 Olympics.
Quote:

Leaving Cal was not an easy decision for me. I have nothing but great things to say about Teri McKeever and my time at Cal. My teammates at Cal have been some of the most amazing and some of the strongest women I have ever met. Teri has given me the wonderful opportunity to swim and study at such an amazing university, and I could never thank her enough for that. I will forever be grateful for all the things Teri has taught me both inside and outside the pool. The past four years have been nothing short of a blessing and I'll forever be a Golden Bear!

Having said that, I'm very excited to open this new chapter of my swimming career in the state where I first learned to swim, and be able to live with my sister, Berit, one last time".

Bilquist is training to make the Olympic team in 2020. She came in 3rd in the 100 back and 4th in the 200 back at the 2016 US Olympic Trials, narrowly missing the team in both. She had a hugely succesful senior season at Cal, including two NCAA Records. She was part of the NCAA Record breaking 200 and 400 free relays, splitting 20.87 and 46.48 respectively. She also helped the 400 medley relay to an NCAA title, and the 800 free relay to a 2nd place finish. Individually, Bilquist came in 2nd in the 100 back (50.05), and 6th in the 50 (21.52) and 100 free (47.42).

---

Amy Bilquist to Train for 2020 Olympics in Scottsdale
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
UrsusArctosCalifornicus said:

Bloody heck, I was secretly hoping that Alicia would lower her newly-minted 200m IM personal record of 2:14.09 a mite more, and perhaps squeak in just under 2:14, finishing 4th or 5th which would have been smashing...

But crikey, 2:11.60 to claim runner-up, and only a bit over a sec behind British champion Siobhan-Marie O'Connor??!!!!

https://instagr.am/p/BwnCo4bhc7z

Alicia's going to 2019 WUGs - well done!

---------

World class swimmers selected for World University Games 29/04/2019

A strong team of 14 swimmers has been nominated to represent British Universities and Colleges Sport (BUCS) at this summer's 2019 Universiade. The team will travel to Naples, Italy for the landmark 30th edition of the Summer Universiade which takes place between 3-14 July.

Of the squad headed for Italy, Team Leader Adam Clarke said:

"The World University Games is the second largest multi-sport event after the Olympics, and a great opportunity for British swimmers to compete on the world stage.

We also have two athletes, Emily Barclay and Alicia Wilson, making their senior international debuts and the Games will provide a great opportunity for them to accelerate their development and continue their journey towards future senior success on the world stage."

BUCS team to represent Great Britain at the 2019 Summer Universiade:

Alicia Wilson, England, University of California, Berkeley

---------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Congrats to Teri!

https://instagr.am/p/Bw7dK-lg2Hl
------

USA Swimming Announces Coaching Staffs for International Competitions

• FINA World Championships
The World Championships coaching staff:
  • Dave Durden (Cal Men's Swimming)
  • Greg Meehan (Stanford Women's Swimming)
  • Teri McKeever (Cal Women's Swimming)
  • Gregg Troy (Gator Swim Club)
  • Ray Looze (Indiana Swimming)
  • Arthur Albiero (Louisville Women's Swimming)
  • Jack Bauerle (Georgia Swimming)
  • David Marsh (Team Elite Aquatics)
Women's Roster
  • Kathleen Baker, 50/100/200 back; 200 IM
  • Mallory Comerford, 100 free
  • Kelsi Dahlia, 50/100 fly
  • Gabby DeLoof, 4x200 free
  • Katie Drabot, 200 fly
  • Hali Flickinger, 200 fly
  • Brooke Forde, 400 IM
  • Margo Geer, 4x100 free
  • Lilly King, 50/100/200 breast
  • Katie Ledecky, 200/400/800/1500
  • Simone Manuel, 50/100 free, 4x200 free
  • Melanie Margalis, 200 IM, 4x200 free
  • Ally McHugh, 400 IM
  • Katie McLaughlin, 100 fly
  • Lia Neal, 4x100 free
  • Allison Schmitt, 200 free, 4x200 free
  • Leah Smith, 400/800 free, 4x200 free
  • Regan Smith, 200 back
  • Olivia Smoliga, 50/100 back
  • Micah Sumrall, 100/200 breast
  • Ashley Twichell, 1500 free
  • Abbey Weitzeil, 50 free, 4x100 free

• Pan American Games
Women's Roster
  • Haley Anderson, 400/800/1500 free
  • Phoebe Bacon, 100 back
  • Mariah Denigan, 800/1500 free
  • Bethany Galat, 200 breast
  • Margo Geer, 50/100 free
  • Sarah Gibson, 200 fly
  • Molly Hannis, 100 breast
  • Madison Kennedy, 50 free
  • Annie Lazor, 200 breast
  • Helen Moffitt, 100 fly
  • Lia Neal, 100 free
  • Meaghan Raab, 200 free
  • Claire Rasmus, 200 free
  • Meghan Small, 200 IM
  • Isabelle Stadden, 200 back
  • Kendyl Stewart, 100 fly
  • Allie Szekely, 400 IM
  • Alex Walsh, 200 back, 200 IM
------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear said:

...the TYR Derby shootout meet yesterday, where Amy made her first post-grad debut, she mentioned in an interview afterward that she'll be moving to Arizona to train through 2020.

Excerpts from the (lengthy) SW writeup - wishing Billy all the bear-y best in her forthcoming endeavours!

-------

Amy Bilquist Renewing Inner 'We Will Rock You' With Move To Scottsdale

by DANIEL D'ADDONA

Amy Bilquist finished her collegiate career in spectacular fashion in March.

But after all of that success in the water, Bilquist stunningly announced last week she would move back to Scottsdale leading up to the 2020 Olympic trials, moving back to her old club team before she moved cross country to Carmel Swim Club before her junior year.

Why change things after all of that success? Bilquist said it was a difficult but tactical decision.

"I looked back on my swimming career and reflected on the periods when I have the more dramatic success, and it has been when I had dramatic changes," Bilquist told Swimming World. "Switching from Arizona to Carmel, I had huge success. Then moving to Cal, same thing. I feel like I am at my best when I am pushed outside my box.

"Of course, my training at Cal will carry over, just like my training at Carmel will carry over."

But it is the extra challenge that has brought the best out of Bilquist in the past.
Quote:

"I have always wanted to succeed and be the best I can be. But when you are thrown into a new environment, you are not the best. It pushes me to try harder. It is all about learning things that make me better," she said."

After the 2016 trials, Bilquist wasn't so sure. She had a stellar meet and finished third and fourth in the backstroke events, just missing the (Olympic) team.

"Now having taken perspective on it, I am proud of it. Teri (McKeever) never gave up on telling me I should be proud of myself," she said.

Bilquist returned to Cal after trials and after a strong freshman year. But things changed. She dealt with injuries and never really accomplished what she hoped to in the pool during her sophomore and junior seasons.

Senior year didn't start so well, either, as she was finally cleared after healing from a stress fracture injury only to break her foot the next day after she was cleared.

She somehow was able to push through all of that and have the best meet of her college career at the NCAA Championships, helping Cal get second.

The meet was so full of dominating experiences that Bilquist could only sum it up one way: "It felt like we won."
For Bilquist, the meet was more than a victory it was vindication.

Next year will be all about the Olympic trials, and Bilquist learned so much from her experience four years ago, that she will be ready mentally for the pressure-packed meet.

It is about reminding herself how much she loves the sport.

-------

https://instagr.am/p/Bw9-qDqgKkV
-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

A few excerpts...

-------

Racing for a smile: Abbey Weitzeil, back on top

BY CHANUN ONG | STAFF

Always find your smile.

Inked on her skin, her mantra rang true this year.

The resurgent Cal junior established herself as the nation's top freestyle sprinter as she lowered her own American record in her signature event, setting the national stage ablaze with power, grace, speed and of course, no shortage of smiles.

Her eyes light up when she talks about what drives her.

"I love racing, and I love winning," Abbey says. "I'm a very competitive person. I love racing for team USA and for Cal."

In a world where athletes are taught to "act like they've been there before," Abbey's approach stands out. She takes on each race with vigor and joy that lend themselves to her hand getting to the wall that much faster.

"It's really cheesy, but I stay true to (the words on my tattoo). Always do what makes you happy in the moment," Abbey says.

-------
HBear
Wow - news of the day:

CAL WOMEN'S ASSISTANT COACH SARAH DUNLEAVY LEAVING SWIMMING

Excerpt here:

Cal women's swimming assistant coach Sarah Dunleavy is leaving her position to pursue interests outside of swimming, the school told SwimSwam Friday.

"While this profession has been such a rewarding experience, I am excited for a new chapter ahead," Dunleavy said. "There are too many people to thank who have been instrumental in my life through my coaching journey, and I would like to point out a few."

"First, I would like to thank Teri for an incredible two years. She has been a phenomenal mentor. The hardest part of saying goodbye coaching right now is leaving such a special team and walking away from working with such a special woman. It is comforting to know that Teri and I will have a lasting relationship that extends far beyond swimming. I am grateful for her being by my side and for supporting me through this decision."

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Amy: "We. Did. It."

- Billy, Jenna, Bug
https://instagr.am/p/BxJAt7_gmC6
HBear said:

Though sad to say goodbye to Amy and Katie (plus Jenna) for their leadership, perseverance, and truly unbelievable comebacks/accomplishments/experiences as Bears, can't wait to see how they represent Cal and Team USA in the future.
BearDevil said:

Was a pleasure and joy to watch Billy, McL, and Jenna develop and grow during their Cal careers. The three amigas are extremeley close and it was fitting they all ended up as Tri-Captains as seniors. As noted, Billy's exemplary in and out of the pool. Great swimmer, but also always really eloquent and sincere. McL was the first Dream Teamer to commit and she's been both the emotional heart and soul and undisputed leader ever since.

McL, Billy, and Jenna will be sorely missed. Three exemplary Bear Captains who left it all in the pool and embraced their Cal experience to the fullest. Same for Phoebe. Their leadership kept the team together after losing Thleen, Darcel's NCAA absence, and Abbey's untimely injury. McL, Billy, and Abbey all battled injuries, but their unbreakable bond with Jenna and each other kept the resilient Bears afloat in troubled waters.

The Women's Senior High School Class of 2015 is One For The Ages

Amy Bilquist
https://instagr.am/p/t4_MnSkIHj NCAA Titles: 5

Katie McLaughlin
https://instagr.am/p/sqvUVQlWx- NCAA Titles: 3

https://instagr.am/p/BxgIxFGgbvH
https://instagr.am/p/BxmzExrlPBv
https://instagr.am/p/BxizMBrgD3d
https://instagr.am/p/Bxp_2thgCu2
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

CalWSwim: "Highest GPA of all graduating female student-athletes at Cal! Congrats, Amy!"

https://instagr.am/p/BxLGYiLgqGP
-------

CalWSwim: "Molecular & Cell Biology major Kathleen Navas brings home the Golden Bear Award for highest GPA on the team. #GoBears"

https://instagr.am/p/BxLNyHOAyL0
-------

-------
HBear
Re-Ranking the Best NCAA Women's Swimmers in Division I From 1-25

Ft. some of our superb Bears!

24. Izzy Ivey:
Ivey's mid-season move to Cal proved to be just what the Golden Bears needed to contend for the national title. Cal came up a bit short at the end but Ivey stepped up in a huge way by getting in two A-Finals on Friday in the 100 fly and 100 back, as well as swimming the lead-off in the American Record 400 free relay. Ivey did, however, provide perhaps the best quote of the NCAA meet by referring to upperclassmen Katie McLaughlin, Amy Bilquist and Abbey Weitzeil as her "cool aunts."

13. Katie McLaughlin:
McLaughlin came up clutch for the Golden Bears with her 100 fly/200 free double on Friday, getting in the A-Final in both events. She also snuck into third place in the 100 fly and broke Natalie Coughlin's Cal school record in the process. She swam on three winning relays for Cal in the 200 free, 400 medley and 400 free, breaking American records in both sprint free relays.

11. Amy Bilquist:
Bilquist was another key member to the Cal team that gave Stanford all it could handle at the meet in Austin. She reached three A-Finals for the first time in her career and also swam on all three of Cal's winning relays. She was the heart and soul of the Cal team that has now finished in the top two eight of the last eleven seasons.

3. Abbey Weitzeil:
Weitzeil finally had the breakout season she had been hoping for since coming to college. She was able to break the American Record in the 50 free that she initially broke in her gap year she took before coming to college in 2016 with a 21.02. Although she sustained an injury to her right arm on the penultimate night of the meet, she was able to come back Saturday and finish fourth in the 100 free and anchor Cal's 400 free relay to a new American Record.

Quick skim: Cal matching Stanford with 4 swimmers (Pitzer, Forde, Ruck, Eastin), with notable names on the list (Tennessee with Small and Brown; Louisville with Comerford and Oglesby; A&M with Pickrem and Belousova, Michigan with Haughey and MacNeil; USC's Hansson, NC State's Hansson) -- no 'Dawgs on the list, notably.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Hmmm, personally take exception to Swimming World not having regarded any of our Bears as Top 10 worthy material in their rankings below ~smh~...esp as 3 furdettes were deemed fit for inclusion there.

Ranking the Best NCAA Women's Swimmers in Division I From 1-25

21. Katie McLaughlin, Senior, California

2018 times: 100 fly, 51.17 (Pac-12); 200 fly, 1:52.64 (NCAA)

16. Abbey Weitzeil, Junior, California

2018 times: 50 free, 21.41 (Pac-12); 100 free, 46.63 (Pac-12)

13. Amy Bilquist, Senior, California

2018 times: 50 free, 21.74 (Pac-12); 100 back, 51.28 (Pac-12); 200 back, 1:50.23 (Pac-12)

Redemption of sorts? (still reckon our Golden Bears are undervalued here tho :p)

---------

Re-Ranking the Best NCAA Women's Swimmers in Division I From 1-25

by ANDY ROSS

Who were the best women's swimmers in the 2018-19 season? As the school year is winding down for most of the country, it is time to look at who were the best swimmers this season.

Back in September, Swimming World ranked the best NCAA Division I women's swimmers from 1-25 as a "pre-season top 25" type list. Now with the season over, we are again revisiting that list, and updating it with the 2019 results.

At the beginning of the season, it was evident that this year's senior class was one of the most impressive of all-time, taking the first three spots on the pre-season list. Although the senior class did not disappoint in 2019, it was this year's junior class that stood out in a big way this year, taking ten of the 25 spots on this list. The senior class accounted for eight of the 25 spots.

24. Izzy Ivey, Freshman, Cal

2019 times: 100 fly, 50.82 (NCAA); 100 back, 50.42 (NCAA)

Pre-season rank: N/A

Ivey's mid-season move to Cal proved to be just what the Golden Bears needed to contend for the national title. Cal came up a bit short at the end but Ivey stepped up in a huge way by getting in two A-Finals on Friday in the 100 fly and 100 back, as well as swimming the lead-off in the American Record 400 free relay. Ivey did, however, provide perhaps the best quote of the NCAA meet by referring to upperclassmen Katie McLaughlin, Amy Bilquist and Abbey Weitzeil as her "cool aunts."

13. Katie McLaughlin, Senior, Cal

2019 times: 100 fly, 49.97 (NCAA); 200 free, 1:42.85 (NCAA); 200 fly, 1:51.09 (NCAA)

Pre-season rank: 21

McLaughlin came up clutch for the Golden Bears with her 100 fly/200 free double on Friday, getting in the A-Final in both events.She also snuck into third place in the 100 fly and broke Natalie Coughlin's Cal school record in the process. She swam on three winning relays for Cal in the 200 free, 400 medley and 400 free, breaking American records in both sprint free relays.

11. Amy Bilquist, Senior, Cal

2019 Times: 50 free, 21.52 (NCAA); 100 back, 50.05 (NCAA); 100 free, 47.01 (Pac-12)

Pre-season rank: 13

Bilquist was another key member to the Cal team that gave Stanford all it could handle at the meet in Austin. She reached three A-Finals for the first time in her career and also swam on all three of Cal's winning relays. She was the heart and soul of the Cal team that has now finished in the top two eight of the last eleven seasons.

3. Abbey Weitzeil, Junior, Cal

2019 Times: 50 free, 21.02 (NCAA); 200 free, 1:41.97 (Pac-12); 100 free, 46.35 (Pac-12)

Pre-season rank: 16

Weitzeil finally had the breakout season she had been hoping for since coming to college. She was able to break the American Record in the 50 free that she initially broke in her gap year she took before coming to college in 2016 with a 21.02. Although she sustained an injury to her right arm on the penultimate night of the meet, she was able to come back Saturday and finish fourth in the 100 free and anchor Cal's 400 free relay to a new American Record.

---------

Oops, just noticed that HBear has already posted re this SW writeup...nvm
HBear

---------

Oops, just noticed that HBear has already posted re this SW writeup...nvm

Great minds think alike! May have beat you to the bunch, but cheers for your add of photos and the 2019 times/pre-season rank, which I cut from my copy-and-paste. Plus the accolades of these great swimmers deserve a repeat mention!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Don't miss this!

UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Here are the results for a couple of our 2019 incoming CA froskis @ CIF State Champs over the weekend:

Reckon the Bruins are going to be very happy with their talented trio of incoming 2019 in-state freshies.

Although unranked by SS in their last edition, all 3 are demonstrating tons of upside with relay value, and will be coming in just in time for UCLA, seeing that the entirety of the Bruins' scoring @ 2019 NCAAs came solely from a pair of seniors on the diving side.

1) Sophia Kosturos - {Miramonte/Crow Canyon->UCLA}
2) Brooke Schaffer - {Saint Francis MV/PASA->UCLA}
3) Daniella Hawkins - {San Ramon/Pleasanton Seahawks->UCLA...had shown an interest in Cal}

Cyndi Gallagher Retires After 31 Years as Head Coach of UCLA Swimming and Diving

--------

HEAD COACH CYNDI GALLAGHER RETIRES AT UCLA AFTER 31 SEASONS

--------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
------

@ 1:49 - Reece's speech (Billy with a background cameo)
@ 3:50 - Group photo featuring Reece, Bug, Savannah, Billy etc at the back

------
  • UPDATE ->
Generous Gift Allows Cal Athletics to Launch Cameron Institute

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

In the absence of a writeup from SS or SW (thus far) on *Night 1* finals at the 2019 Speedo Grand Challenge held in long course metres @ William Woollett Jr. Aquatics Center, Irvine, the live meet results can be perused here:
https://www.socalswim.org/live-results/2019GrandChallenge/

*Day 1* Prelims were reported here earlier:
https://swimswam.com/47-year-old-steve-west-pops-104-99-100-br-lcm-at-nova-grand-challenge/

Anyway here are some results for the Championship (A), Consolation (B) & Bonus (C) finals for the women's team at a quick glance. Note that only the top 4 finishers from morning heats qualify for the A final here, not the usual 8...

Abbey Weitzeil
-> #1, *50m Free* A final - 25.29 (best = 24.28 from 2016)

*50m Free* - Dubs (Champion!)...Bug (3rd)
https://instagr.am/p/Bx3e5usAJc6

Katie McLaughlin
-> #3, *200m IM* A final - 2:15.57 PB (old best = 2:15.59 from 2016)
-> #3, *50m Free* A final - 25.52 (best = 25.19 from 2018)

*200m IM* A final - Bug (3rd)
https://instagr.am/p/Bx3X107FGJD

Keaton Blovad
-> #4, *200m IM* A final - 2:15.68 PB (old best = 2:16.61 from 2018)
-> #3, *100m Breast* C final - 1:13.85 (best = 1:11.67 from 2015)

Cassidy Bayer
-> #4, *400m Free* A final - 4:19.54 PB (old best = 4:20.93 from 2015)

Alicia Wilson
-> #4, *100m Breast* A final - 1:10.71 PB (old best = 1:12.71 from 2014)

Izzy Ivey
-> #1, *200m IM* B final - 2:17.23 (best = 2:15.93 from 2016)
-> #1, *50m Free* C final - 26.30 (best = 25.21 from 2018)

Elizabeth Bailey
-> #1, *400m Free* C final - 4:25.52 (best = 4:20.93 from 2015)

Courtney Mykkanen
-> #6, *200m IM* C final - 2:22.73 (best = 2:19.33 from 2012)

Aislinn Light
-> #6, *50m Free* C final - 26.67 (best = 25.21 from 2016)
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Previously mentioned one is Dannie Dilsaver. Any idea who the other 2 might be? Possible Chenoa Devine?

https://swimswam.com/analyzing-2019-ncaa-transfer-data-what-weve-seen-and-whats-in-store/

Random observer said:

Anybody see that my krustritz from Denison was swimming as CAL affiliated at the speedo grand challenge meet? I think she has one more year of eligibility... are we going to see her as a bear in the fall?
-cheers

Thank you for the observation - same thought had crossed me mind, but didn't comment on it at the time pending future official confirmation (or possible typo lol)...

KT Kustritz

If Denison's KT Kustritz is indeed transferring to Cal next semester, here's how her breaststroke times would compare to her potential future teammates...haven't included Dubs, Keeks or Alicia below as they aren't breast specialists per se:

*100 Breast* - 58.97 (Rajic), 59.52 (Harrison), 59.77 (Kustritz*), 1:01.43 (Buckley), 1:01.71 (Dilsaver**), 1:02.81 (Skorus-Neely), 1:03.13 (Tuck), 1:03.56 (Davidson)

*200 Breast* - 2:10.21 (Harrison), 2:10.47 (Rajic), 2:12.27 (Kustritz*), 2:13.20 (Buckley), 2:14.02 (Dilsaver**), 2:16.28 (Tuck), 2:17.78 (Skorus-Neely), 2:20.12 (Davidson)

FWIW (not much lol, since this isn't usually raced at the collegiate level), here are some stats for the *50 Breast* individual:

*50 Breast* - 27.89 (Rajic), 27.96 (Kustritz*), 30.75 (Harrison), 31.71 (Dilsaver**), 31.85 (Buckley), 33.30 (Davidson), 33.36 (Skorus-Neely), 36.20 (Tuck)

I'm not at all conversant with Division III Swimming & Diving, but it seems that Kustritz was a double national champion in the 100 & 200 Breast @ the 2019 & 2018 editions of NCAAs, plus repeat runner-up in the 200 IM.

Also laid down a 27.19 breast split on an NCAA D3 record-breaking 200 MR relay squad (for reference, Ema's split in this relay was a 27.28 @ 2019 NCAAs, whilst Abbey killed it with a 26.68 @ 2018 NCAAs, let's not forget Ali with her amazing 26.75 @ 2018 Pac-12s!), as well as contributing to Denison's 2nd place 400 MR, and anchoring their 3rd place 200 FR & 400 FR teams in 2019.

As for KT's performance @ the Speedo Grand Challenge tonight, she had placed 2nd in the *100m breast* B final with a 1:11.89 (best = 1:10.95 from 2018)...
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

-------

USA SWIMMING ANNOUNCES WHITLEY, FOSTER AMONG JUNIORS FOR MARE NOSTRUM

USA Swimming has announced the rosters of juniors who will travel internationally to both the Mare Nostrum tour in June and the Mel Zajac Jr. International meet this weekend.

You can view the full release with both rosters here.

The Mare Nostrum roster includes a number of standouts from last summer's Junior Pan Pacs, including gold medalists Phoebe Bacon, Gretchen Walsh, Emma Weyant, Carson Foster, Izzy Ivey, Alex Walsh and Adam Chaney. The roster includes 18 juniors, which is nearly double last year's roster of 10.

JIMBO commented: "Let's go Izzy!"

-------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
Just a quick (incomplete) update as I'm out & abouts for the long weekend, and Night 2 of the Speedo Grand Challenge isn't yet at the half way mark as I'm writing...

- Katie McLaughlin won the *200m Free* super final in 1:57.62...sole sub-2 minute swim amongst the entire field of 85.

Really promising performance here, as Bug has been faster than that on only 3 other occasions, with her top 2 swims coming from 2018 Pan Pacs (best = 1:56.88), i.e. in full taper mode back then, unlike here.

For a bit of context, only 2 swimmers went faster in this event at the Bloomington PSS & Atlanta Classic meets last week - furdette Olympians Ledecky (1:55.80) & Manuel (1:57.24).

McL will be following up with a tough double in the *100m Fly*, as will Izzy who looks to be a bit beaten up in heavy training judging by her times thus far at this meet.

https://instagr.am/p/Bx59tW7AM6f

- Ayla Spitz's 2:01.51 was good for 3rd in the B final of the *200m Free* (actually faster than Abbey & Izzy's 2:02s that merited 3rd & 4th in the A final!). 4th fastest of her career (best = 2:00.74 from 2018), and earns her 1st Olympic Trials cut

https://instagr.am/p/Bx6ApPiAXRp

• Breaking update => Katie's 58.46 = runner-up in the *100m Fly* A final (best = 57.51 from 2018 Summer Nationals)
https://instagr.am/p/Bx6GzsPAikM
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

A few quick stats from the last session of the 2019 Speedo Grand Challenge.

*100m Free* results not yet officially posted...if I get a chance tomorrow, will add links for SS or SW's writeups - when they are eventually published...
  • UPDATE #1 -> *100m Free* results now officially updated!
Katie McLaughlin
-> #1, *200m Fly* A final - 2:09.52...Fastest time since Kazan 2015! (best = 2:06.95 from that 2015 World Champs)
-> #1, *100m Free* A final - 54.46 (best = 54.14 from 2018 Pan Pacs)

Keaton Blovad
-> #1, *100m Back* A final - 1:00.97 (best = 1:00.95 from 2018)
-> #2, *100m Free* C final - 57.34 PB (old best = 57.58 from 2015)

Abbey Weitzeil
-> #2, *100m Free* A final - 54.69 (best = 53.28 from 2016 Olympic Trials)

Cassidy Bayer
-> #2, *200m Fly* A final - 2:12.25 (best = 2:07.97 from 2016)

Izzy Ivey
-> #1, *100m Back* B final - 1:01.87 (best = 1:01.36 from 2017)
-> #13, *100m Free* Prelims (skipped finals) - 57.52 (best = 54.95 from 2016 Jr Pan Pacs)

Alicia Wilson
-> #3, *100m Back* B final - 1:03.38 (best = 1:01.68 from BSC 2019)
-> #1, *100m Free* C final - 57.01 (best = 56.70 from BSC 2017)

Ayla Spitz
-> #4, *100m Back* B final - 1:03.38 (best = 1:02.44 from 2018 Jr Nationals)
-> #5, *100m Free* B final - 57.19 (best = 56.43 from 2018 Jr Nationals)

Aislinn Light
-> #6, *100m Back* B final - 1:04.51 (best = 1:03.48 from 2016)

Courtney Mykkanen
-> #7, *100m Back* B final - 1:04.68 (best = 1:01.88 from 2013)

KT Kustritz
-> #3, *200m Breast* C final - 2:41.91 (best = 2:40.26 from 2016)

• UPDATE #2 =>
--------

GORBENKO SETS ISRAELI RECORD, SELISKAR GOES 1:47 FR/2:00 IM AT NOVA CHALLENGE

--------

MCLAUGHLIN PUTS UP WORLD TOP-25 200 FR AT NOVA GRAND CHALLENGE

--------

RECORDS FALL AND MCLAUGHLIN FLIES ON FINAL DAY OF NOVA GRAND CHALLENGE

--------

MCLAUGHLIN SWIMS FIRST SUB-2:10 200 METER FLY SINCE 2015

--------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

DOLFIN SWIM OF THE WEEK: DON'T COUNT OUT KATIE MCLAUGHLIN

UrsusArctosCalifornicus
HBear said:

Wow - news of the day:

CAL WOMEN'S ASSISTANT COACH SARAH DUNLEAVY LEAVING SWIMMING

Welcome to Cal, Coach Korman!

DANI KORMAN WILL BE THE NEW ASSISTANT WOMEN'S SWIMMING COACH AT CAL

------

• UPDATES ->

Dani Korman's MIT bio

Dani Korman's Yale bio

------

Dani Korman Joins Cal Women's Swimming as Assistant Coach

------

Dani Korman Joins Bears As Assistant Coach

Cal Adds MIT Men's And Women's Head Coach To Staff

BERKELEY - Dani Korman will join the Cal women's swimming & diving program as an assistant coach after serving the past four season as the head men's and women's coach at MIT, Golden Bear head coach Teri McKeever announced Thursday.

"I am excited to add Dani to our program here at Cal," McKeever said. "She understands the breadth it takes to run a program, having gained valuable experience as a head coach managing both men's and women's teams. Dani has also worked at several elite academic institutions and appreciates the rigor it takes for student-athletes to succeed at a high level. I believe she will help us continue our tradition at Cal and am looking forward to her becoming a part of our team this summer."

"I would like to thank Teri McKeever for this incredible opportunity to join the Cal swimming & diving family," Korman said. "Teri has set the highest standard of excellence in the classroom, as well athletically at the national and international level - a standard I am excited to continue to foster. I am honored to have the opportunity to work with Teri and to teach, grow and empower the women of Cal swimming & diving as student-athletes and individuals. I cannot wait to get started at Berkeley. Go Bears!"

Korman joins a Cal program that has placed among the top three nationally each of the past 11 years - the longest current streak in the country. During the run, the Bears have won four NCAA championships (2009, 2011, 2012 and 2014) and were the national runner-up last year. Korman replaces Sarah Dunleavy, who decided to pursue interests outside of swimming. She will begin her duties at Cal in early July.

------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

If Denison's KT Kustritz is indeed transferring to Cal next semester

But then again, perhaps not lol...seems to be just a temporary arrangement (summer training), according to (my understanding of) this Swimswam writeup published today:

-------

DIII RECORD HOLDER KT KUSTRITZ SPENDING SUMMER TRAINING AT CAL

-------

KT's between Alicia & Natalie on the left...
https://instagr.am/p/ByHUAOJA3oN

-------
swimmer19

AMY BILQUIST & LAUREN BARBER AMONG 585 NOMINATED FOR NCAA WOMAN OF THE YEAR

A record 585 female college athletes have been nominated by their member schools for the 2019 NCAA Woman of the Year Award. Established in 1991, the NCAA Woman of the Year award recognizes graduating female college athletes who have exhausted their eligibility and distinguished themselves in academics, athletics, service and leadership throughout their collegiate careers.

Among the most recognizable names in a list of necessarily-elite athletes are:
  • Cal's Amy Bilquist, who was the 2019 NCAA runner-up in the 100 yard backstroke. She earned Cal's Neufeld Scholar-Athlete Award for having the highest GPA among all of the school's senior female student-athletes lat year, among numerous other honors in and out of the pool.
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Smart Bears who are also fast!

--------

CSCAA Selects 1,221 for Scholar All-America Team

The College Swimming & Diving Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) has named 1,221 swimmers and divers to Scholar All-American Team for the 2018-19 season.

The award recognizes students that have achieved a grade point average of 3.50 or higher and competed at their respective NCAA/NAIA/NJCAA Swimming and Diving Championships.

In addition to the 1,221 first-team selections, 890 students were named as Honorable Mention selections. These students have similarly achieved a GPA of 3.50 and achieved a "B" time standard or competed at an NCAA Regional or Zone Diving qualifier.

The award-winners studied a multitude of subjects ranging from A (Accounting) to Z (Zoology). Business majors accounted for just under 14% of all award-winners. They were followed by Engineering (all fields) and Biology at 9% each. Fully one third of all award-winners are pursuing a major in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) field.

(Women)
Elizabeth Bailey (HM) // Undeclared
Amy Bilquist // Media Studies
Alexa Buckley (HM) // Molecular & Cell Biology
Jenna Campbell (HM) // Molecular & Cell Biology
Alicia Harrison // American Studies
Kathryn McLaughlin // American Studies
Courtney Mykkanen (HM) // Media Studies
Robin Neumann // Undeclared
Alicia Wilson // Undeclared

(Men)
Nate Biondi // Undeclared
Jarod Hatch (HM) // Undeclared
Pawel Sendyk // Computer Science
Andy Song (HM) // Business Administration
Reece Whitley // Undeclared

--------
  • UPDATES ->
https://instagr.am/p/BzjXM-rAw-H
--------

9 Bears Earn Scholar All-America Honors

BERKELEY - Nine members of Cal's women's swimming & diving team have earned Scholar All-America honors for their work in the classroom for the 2018-19 academic year, all with grade-point averages of at least 3.50.

The news comes shortly after the College Swimming & Diving Coaches Association of America (CSCAA) also named Cal a Scholar All-America team for the 19th semester in a row.

Receiving individual first-team recognition, which also requires qualifying for and competing at the NCAA Championships, are Amy Bilquist, Ali Harrison, Katie McLaughlin, Robin Neumann and Alicia Wilson.

Honorable mention honorees need to have met the GPA standard and attained an NCAA "B" qualifying time or competed at an NCAA zone diving meet. Those named honorable mention are Elizabeth Bailey, Alexa Buckley, Jenna Campbell and Courtney Mykkanen.

Bilquist was tabbed a Scholar All-American for the fourth time in her career, while Campbell and Mykkanen are three-time honorees. Harrison, Neumann and Buckley received the award for the second time.

As a program, Cal earned the Golden Bear Team Award presented in May for having the highest GPA among all 30 Golden Bear teams for the 2018-19 academic year the second year in a row it has earned the honor. Bilquist also received the Neufeld Scholar-Athlete Award for having the highest GPA among all graduating female student-athletes at Cal.

--------

In other news:

https://instagr.am/p/BzcYWHBArGu
https://instagr.am/p/BzeaMRDg1zr
--------
UrsusArctosCalifornicus
OBear073akaSMFan said:

Previously mentioned one is Dannie Dilsaver. Any idea who the other 2 might be? Possible Chenoa Devine?

https://swimswam.com/analyzing-2019-ncaa-transfer-data-what-weve-seen-and-whats-in-store/

Pending an official announcement on Dilsaver's destination, an educated guess may be that Dannie will be transferring to KU (University of Kansas), where she will be a wee bit closer to home... Best of luck Dannie!
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

Pending an official announcement on Dilsaver's destination, an educated guess may be that Dannie will be transferring to KU (University of Kansas), where she will be a wee bit closer to home... Best of luck Dannie!

Confirmed here? -> KU - 2019-20 Women's Swimming Roster

• UPDATE ->
Confirmed here! (10 Sept 2019) -> DANNIE DILSAVER (2017) TRANSFERS TO KANSAS AFTER 2 YEARS AT CAL
HBear
2019 SWAMMY AWARDS: FEMALE NCAA SWIMMER OF THE YEAR BEATA NELSON

Honorable Mention (alongside IU's Lilly King & USC's Louise Hansson):

Abbey Weitzeil, Cal: After a multi-year run of stagnation in the 50 yard freestyle (she was already the best-ever in that event), Weitzeil finally broke through at NCAAs with a 21.02 in the 50 free. Then, at the Minnesota Invite 2 weeks ago, she had another breakthrough, swimming a flat-start 20.90 in the 50 free, becoming the first woman ever under the 21-second barrier. While she only won 1 race at NCAAs, she wound up being hampered the rest of the meet by a hyperextended elbow, that 1 race was a very special swim, and the rest of her results are certainly good enough to support an honorable mention
UrsusArctosCalifornicus

2019 SWAMMY AWARDS: WOMEN'S NCAA COACH OF THE YEAR TERI MCKEEVER

2019 WOMEN'S NCAA COACH OF THE YEAR: TERI MCKEEVER, CAL

Teri McKeever's Cal women's program did not win the NCAA National Championship in 2019, but some big individual performances then helped them make the battle with their arch-rivals Stanford closer than anyone expected. Their success has continued into the 2019-2020 season, where mid-year at the Minnesota Invite, Abbey Weitzeil swam the fastest 50 yard freestyle in history.

McKeever led the Golden Bears to a strong showing at the 2019 NCAA meet, and even led Stanford by 28.5 points heading into the final day. Despite taking second place by only 37.5 points, McKeever and the Cal women were able to prevent Stanford from dominating the meet like they did in 2018. At the meet, Cal achieved top 2 finishes in all 5 relays, including winning both free relays alongside the 400 medley relay.
These efforts earned McKeever the 2019 CSCAA Women's Division I Swimming Coach of the Year for the 5th time in her coaching career.

Here's a look at Cal's top-3 finishes at the 2019 NCAA meet:
  • 800 free relay: 2nd - Robin Neumann, Izzy Ivey, Katie McLaughlin, Amy Bilquist (6:50.12)
  • 200 free relay: 1st - Maddie Murphy, Katie McLaughlin, Amy Bilquist, Abbey Weitzeil (1:24.55 - NCAA/American/US Open records)
  • 50 free: 1st - Abbey Weitzeil (21.02 - NCAA/American/US Open records*)
  • 400 medley relay: 1st - Amy Bilquist, Ema Rajic, Katie McLaughlin, Abbey Weitzeil (3:25.24 - Lee & Joe Jamail Center Pool record)
  • 100 fly: 3rd - Katie McLaughlin (49.97)
  • 100 back: 2nd - Amy Bilquist (50.05)
  • 200 medley relay: 2nd - Izzy Ivey, Ema Rajic, Maddie Murphy, Abbey Weitzeil (1:34.43)
  • 400 free relay: 1st - Izzy Ivey, Katie McLaughlin, Amy Bilquist, Abbey Weitzeil (3:06.96 - NCAA records**)
*at the time of the swim, **did not count as American/US Open records

Halfway through the Bears' 2019-20 season campaign, the team remains undefeated, including winning the coveted Minnesota Invitational. At the meet, senior Abbey Weitzeil became the first woman to break 21 seconds in the SCY 50 free. Weitzeil also produced nation-leading top times in the 100 and 200 free.

Using the Finis Swimulator, current season-best times would have the Cal women win a projected national championship meet this year, including 40 swims at the Minnesota Invite that ranked in the top 10 in the nation. There's a long way to go this year, but after the meet they had at NCAAs last year, we can't count out McKeever's Cal Bears even against the powerful Stanford squad.
OBear073akaSMFan
So cool winning women's and men's swimming coaches of the Year!! What a terrific end to the 2018-2019 Year!
HBear
Lots of great moments from Bears past and present this year.

2019 In The Mirror: Top 15 Swimming World Video Interviews of Year In The United States
[url=https://youtu.be/9elnsYj3GOg][/url]
15. Amy Bilquist, US Nationals[url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9elnsYj3GOg&feature=emb_title][/url]
Bilquist talks us through her national title at Stanford this summer as she won the 100 backstroke for her first career national title. She goes through her tumultuous year and how she debated if she even wanted to keep swimming because she kept getting injured. Ultimately she decided to keep going and it led to great success for her in the summer despite the fact she had a broken finger just two months prior.

Why is it good? It shows how important it is to trust the process and stay patient even when things are not going your way all the time. Bilquist wanted to give up but she felt the support of her family and teammates and that pushed her to success in the pool.
[url=https://youtu.be/habvLn4PHuU][/url]
14. Natalie Coughlin, ISL Indianapolis
Coughlin goes through her first swim meet back since the 2016 Olympic Trials as she made her debut at the International Swimming League in Indianapolis with the DC Trident at 37-years-old. Coughlin, who just had a baby not too long ago, shared why she decided to come back in the new league to swim the 50 back and talked about her goals and expectations for the meet.

Why is it good? Coughlin is so well-spoken and speaks honestly about why she initially declined to participate in the meet and why she was so nervous before the meet started for just a 50 back.

4. Abbey Weitzeil, Amy Bilquist, NCAA
Weitzeil and Bilquist talk about how much the Thursday night of NCAAs meant to them and their team when they won the 200 free and 400 medley relays for the Golden Bears as well as an American record from Weitzeil in the 50 free. Weitzeil and Bilquist had had frustrating years the last couple years but it seemed like that finally changed in 2019 as Weitzeil finally broke the American record in the 50 and also won her first individual NCAA title. Bilquist finally got into the A-Final in the 50 free and also got back the 200 free relay title that she had won her freshman and sophomore year but lost as a junior.

Why was it good? Weitzeil expressed her disappointment in missing her goal time of a 20 point in the individual 50 free but still showed positivity in swimming a best time. A lot of young swimmers get upset when they don't reach a certain goal time even but it is important to celebrate personal bests when they happen. Bilquist also had a good quote when talking about Kathleen Baker when she said that "it's not filling a gap because no one is Kathleen" and that the team lost more than just points when Baker decided to go pro because she was a great teammate. But despite all of that, they were still focused on themselves and having fun at the meet and not worrying about what Stanford and the other teams were doing.

2. Dana Vollmer, Nationals
Vollmer swam the final race of her career in the prelims of the 100 butterfly at US Nationals and she reflected on her career. She talked about what it meant to finish her career on her own terms and the emotions of seeing her long-time coach Teri McKeever and her Cal teammates after the race.

Why was it good? Vollmer was at peace with the fact she retired before the 2020 Olympic Trials and said she didn't think she had it in her anymore to chase a fourth Olympic team. Vollmer was in good spirits and seemed very content about the way her career ended and was ready to focus on the next chapter of her life.

1. Cal 400 free relay, NCAA
Izzy Ivey, Katie McLaughlin, Amy Bilquist and Abbey Weitzeil get our top spot for the best interview of the year for their unfiltered emotions from winning the 400 free relay on the final night of NCAAs. Weitzeil talked us through what happened the night before when she had to get pulled out of the pool in the 200 medley relay causing her to have to wear a brace on her arm on the last day in the 100 free and 400 free relay. The Golden Bears set the NCAA record and finished second in the meet to rival Stanford, but the emotions of the incredible weekend were shown by the four swimmers.

Why was it good? Weitzeil credited her teammates for giving her the strength to swim on the final day through the pain and giving her a chance to win the 400 free relay. Not to mention there were some great quotes throughout the interview where Bilquist tearfully said "it felt like we won" the meet and that was a feeling they were chasing for four years, and Ivey compared McLaughlin, Weitzeil and Bilquist to her "cool aunts."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.